PDA

View Full Version : Per Wiberg out of OPETH

ravenheart
04-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Apparently the band decided to sack him. And he'd decided to leave. Not sure who told who first, but they're treating it as a mutual decision.

He did finish recording the keyboards for the new album, and his replacement is already rehearsing with the band. Identity to be released soon.

Akerfeldt: "Well, it’s been somewhat of a revolving door of members during the last couple of years, and now, Per is no longer a member. Mendez, Axe and Fredrik and I came to the decision that we should find a replacement for Per right after the recordings of the new album, and this came as no surprise to Per. He had, in turn, been thinking about leaving, so you could say it was a mutual decision. There’s no bad blood, just a relationship that came to an end, and that’s that. We wish Per the best, and he did a splendid job recording keyboards for the last record, which stands as his final recording with Opeth."

Onioner
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
If there is a god, Per will become a full-time keyboardist for Clutch. The shows he did last December with them were supposedly fantastic, and live he apparently handles himself a lot better than Mick Schauer.

ravenheart
04-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Per is awesome live. And he's a hell of a singer too.

Listen to Mojobone. Do it now.

Then, if you wanna hear him playing with Jean Paul Gaster from Clutch and Thomas Andersson and Ulf Ivarsson from Kamchatka, listen to King Hobo :D

BlackmoreOfBowling
04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
If there is a god, Per will become a full-time keyboardist for Clutch. The shows he did last December with them were supposedly fantastic, and live he apparently handles himself a lot better than Mick Schauer.

This. Maybe some more Bakerton Group stuff too.

maxpower
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Per is awesome live. And he's a hell of a singer too.

Listen to Mojobone. Do it now.

Then, if you wanna hear him playing with Jean Paul Gaster from Clutch and Thomas Andersson and Ulf Ivarsson from Kamchatka, listen to King Hobo :D

I bought the King Hobo cd at a Clutch show when Kamchatka was direct support in 08, but it didn't really stick in my rotation. This news definitely makes me want to go grab it off the shelf and give it another listen.

ravenheart
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I bought the King Hobo cd at a Clutch show when Kamchatka was direct support in 08, but it didn't really stick in my rotation. This news definitely makes me want to go grab it off the shelf and give it another listen.

It's a great CD, but I must say the Mojobone ones are better. 'Cowboy Mode' is the new one, released last year. And earlier this year the first album and the debut EP were released together on CD for the first time with an album's worth of bonus tracks. I recommend getting them.

HugeRockStar
04-06-2011, 03:15 PM

I prefer Clutch as just a 4 piece and didn't like when they added in keyboards to all their older songs when Mick was with them.

DethMaiden
04-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Clutch needs a keyboardist who doesn't add parts to the songs that don't have keyboards in the first place. I'm afraid if they add a full-timer there's gonna be a lot of, shall we say, extra psychedelia in tunes from the self-titled, Elephant Riders and Strange Cousins that doesn't need to be there.

That being said, this is sad. To me, the essential Opeth lineup was the Ghost Reveries one - Åkerfeldt, Lindgren, Mendez, Lopez, Wiberg. Sad that now besides Mikael the only link left is Martin, the least essential member of that lineup. :(

MPF
04-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Damn this news makes me sad. But I'm sure Opeth have a great replacement.

As for Clutch idea. I'm all for it. I can see how someone would say that keyboards aren't needed in some songs, and I can agree to an extent, but I don't think there's a keyboardist out there who wants to sit on his ass during half or more of a clutch set waiting to play a few songs. So either go all out, or don't.

DethMaiden
04-06-2011, 04:20 PM
As for Clutch idea. I'm all for it. I can see how someone would say that keyboards aren't needed in some songs, and I can agree to an extent, but I don't think there's a keyboardist out there who wants to sit on his ass during half or more of a clutch set waiting to play a few songs. So either go all out, or don't.

Don't.

The Devil and Me sounds better without keys than Escape From the Prison Planet does with.

jd091
04-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Why does Opeth always have to change lineup right after I buy their latest DVD's? :(

HugeRockStar
04-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Don't.

The Devil and Me sounds better without keys than Escape From the Prison Planet does with.

Agreed

treghet
04-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Why does Opeth always have to change lineup right after I buy their latest DVD's? :(

But their 20th anniversary DVD is amazing! One of the best shows I've been to.

Onioner
04-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Don't.

If a full-time keyboardist is what it takes for them to start playing White's Ferry again I am willing to pay the price. To be honest I love Robot Hive/Exodus and Beale Street to Oblivion the most out of all of Clutch's albums, and I would kill to be able to see them played live the way they were recorded. Hell, half the reason I really disliked Strange Cousins From the West was because it sounded really "empty" without the keys. I guess the concession would have to be that Blast Tyrant was sick without keys and was an example of the modern day hard rock Clutch working well as a four-piece, but I still think that Clutch were at their best with someone making organ-like sounds. (Even all you old-school Clutch guys surely dug the organ on John Wilkes Booth!)

DethMaiden
04-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Don't get me wrong man, I like every Clutch album except Jam Room. I just don't think that if the price we pay is the addition of keys to songs that don't need them that it's worth adding a full-timer.

daimonos
04-06-2011, 06:57 PM
:(

maxpower
04-06-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm cool with a fulltime keyboard player in clutch, as long as Eric Oblander from five horse johnson keeps his harmonica far away from the stage. That dude started to wear on me after awhile. It was just to much for me.

jd091
04-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Lucky fucker. I'm not complaining about the DVD, its amazing and awesome and I've watched it many times. But now its like, "Okay, that keyboardist isn't in the band anymore" when I watch it, like when I got the Roundhouse tapes and watched it and had to tell myself, "Okay, that guitarist and drummer aren't in the band anymore".

Whatevs. Opeth really is Mikael, the two words can be interchanged.

Derelict
04-07-2011, 04:50 AM
I'm cool with a fulltime keyboard player in clutch, as long as Eric Oblander from five horse johnson keeps his harmonica far away from the stage. That dude started to wear on me after awhile. It was just to much for me.

this x 100

ChildrenofSodom
04-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Yeah, unless they replace him with a keyboardist that 1) insists on a bigger key influence in the band, or 2) can't play the stuff from previous albums very well, I don't think this has any affect on the band. Mikael said it himself: they've had a revolving door of band members for the past few years, and I'm guessing the keyboardist is the most expendable member of the band.

ravenheart
04-07-2011, 05:34 AM

You were at the RAH show? Have we had this conversation before? :lol:

ravenheart
04-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Also, everyone's missing the point. Which is: LISTEN TO MOJOBONE ;)

treghet
04-07-2011, 07:09 AM
You were at the RAH show? Have we had this conversation before? :lol:

No, the LA one. I just added that since it was only a small number of shows.

ravenheart
04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
No, the LA one. I just added that since it was only a small number of shows.

Gotcha. I was at the RAH one ;)

Wizzbang11
04-07-2011, 11:06 AM
http://www2.shrani.si/files/opeth22512474.jpg

BloodoftheKings
04-07-2011, 11:09 AM

:lol:

brutal_descent
04-07-2011, 11:32 AM

MPF
04-07-2011, 05:02 PM

ravenheart
04-08-2011, 03:32 AM
To clarify what was in Akerfeldt's statement, basically Per says he hasn't really been enthusiastic about playing in Opeth for quite some time; "heart's not been in it", to use his terms. The rest of the band realised that was the case so when it came time for a conversation (after the new album, before the next tour) it was obvious to both sides that there wasn't much point in him continuing with the band.

For a change, an issued press statement is accurate! How refreshing.

I'm personally very happy because Per says he's going to focus on more King Hobo and Mojobone stuff :D :rocker: