PDA

View Full Version : Explosions in the Sky -- Charlotte, NC -- April 3rd, 2011

illuminatus917
04-04-2011, 11:18 AM
The third post-rock show of the year for me. And it didn't disappoint. Amos' Southend was packed. There were as many people there as there were at the Avenged Sevenfold and Black Tide show I went to back in '07, which I didn't expect considering the region's weak post-rock scene. There are tons of kiddies in the Charlotte area, and neighboring areas, that love that A7X/Carolina Rebellion-type of music (you know tickets for Carolina Rebellion are going for $200-$300 now?:eek:?), but there aren't a ton of kids that like post-rock. The crowd really was surprising. I got the vibe there were a lot of concert virgins there though. I stood on the balcony to the left of the stage (from the audience's POV), with a bunch of kids who I think were part of a youth group. There must've been twenty or more of them. When the opening band, The Octopus Project, said "fuck" on stage, they all looked at each other in puzzlement. Needless to say, regardless of the venue being packed, it wasn't the most vivacious audience I've ever been apart of.

The Octopus Project was a funky type of post-rock/electronic band. They weren't mind-numbingly good by any means, but they were entertaining and fun to listen to. I can see why EITS would choose them as an opener. The chick in the band played one really weird electronic instrument that made noises according to the frequency she neared and distanced her hands from its motion sensor. It made a high-pitched whirring noise. I think the crowd really dug them. They got about as much applause as Explosions in the Sky did.

Explosions in the Sky Setlist:

1. Postcard From 1952
2. The Birth and Death of the Day
3. Your Hand in Mine
4. Last Known Surroundings
5. The Only Moment We Were Alone
6. Catastrophe and the Curve
7. Let Me Back In
8. Greet Death
9. Trembling Hands

They played a lot of their new material, which isn't as good as some of their older stuff. "Postcard From 1952," "Last Known Surroundings," "Let Me Back In," and "Trembling Hands" are all from their 2011 release Take Care, Take Care, Take Care. I think it's a pretty solid album - not the best I've heard this year - but solid. Explosions in the Sky isn't going to write a 'bad' album. But it's pale in comparison to The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, How Strange, Innocence, All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, etc… They did play two songs from The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, which was nice. I really really really wanted to hear "First Breath After Coma," but I don't think it'll be on a setlist for this tour.

Their sound was ace live. I think the dynamics of what this band does come across beautifully in a dark venue. They're one of those few bands that I'd actually say sound as good, if not better, live than on a disc. The guitar tone is crystal clear. The drumming is very martial in tone. That is, instead of playing a 4/4 kick heavy drumming style, Hrasky plays more tom and snare - the type of drumming similar to what you'd hear in a marching band. It helps to push the music during a slower, arpeggio paced song. When the drum beat speeds up, it's usually when the guitars are going hard and heavy. This band is centered around their beautiful guitar work though. Three guitar players, at times, and one bass, interlocking melodies. They can go loud and aggressive and they can be soft and sensitive. Like a lot of post-rock bands, many of their songs are crescendo driven. They build up slowly before reaching a climax. They are very technically proficient. They excel in playing and feeding off each other. Their style makes for a magnificent live performance.

Natrlhi
04-04-2011, 01:22 PM
The chick in the band played one really weird electronic instrument that made noises according to the frequency she neared and distanced her hands from its motion sensor. It made a high-pitched whirring noise.That would be a theremin:

http://www.tompolk.com/Tannerin/350theremin.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin)
^ Click me to read the Wikipedia article about this device!

bigguytoo9
04-04-2011, 01:25 PM
I am SO DOWN with this setlist. I saw Explosions In The Sky with Eluvium opening bacck in like 2007 when "all of a sudden, I miss everyone" came out.

They opened with First Breath After Coma and just went on from there, quite an amazing show. Sigur Ros is still the best 'post-rock' band ive seen live.. even beating out the recent Godspeed reunion show.

Id really like to see Explosions play stuff from the new album, its quite fantastic actually and might be on par with 'the earth is not a cold dead place' will have to give it a few more listens to decide.

The Ghost at Number One
04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
That would be a theremin:

http://www.tompolk.com/Tannerin/350theremin.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin)
^ Click me to read the Wikipedia article about this device!I was just about to do this!

Natrlhi
04-04-2011, 01:32 PM
They played a lot of their new material, which isn't as good as some of their older stuff.

But it's pale in comparison to The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, How Strange, Innocence, All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, etc…People keep saying that. I don't see it (or hear it, to be exact). I think the new album is just as awesome as anything they've ever done - certainly not better, but definitely not "pales in comparison" territory, either. :confused: ("Last Known Surroundings" is especially fucking awesome... :bowdown:)

I really really really wanted to hear "First Breath After Coma," but I don't think it'll be on a setlist for this tour.:( me wuv dat song 2 :drool:

Glad to hear you had an awesome time. This gives me a major sad, because I won't get to see them this time around by the looks of things. They're playing Pittsburgh on Friday and COlumbus on Saturday, and I have to watch my kids both nights.

Pissed Natty is fuckin' damn well pissed. :mad: :flame:

DethMaiden
04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
I'd like to see them do First Breath After Coma, but The Birth and Death of the Day is one of the two or three greatest post-rock songs ever recorded and a big reason for my plunge into the genre, so that would be more than worth the ticket cost for me.

Natrlhi
04-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I'd like to see them do First Breath After Coma, but The Birth and Death of the Day is one of the two or three greatest post-rock songs ever recorded and a big reason for my plunge into the genre, so that would be more than worth the ticket cost for me.Yeah, that rolling snare part damn near brings me to tears every fucking time I hear it. What a fucking amazing song.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

illuminatus917
04-04-2011, 02:20 PM
That would be a theremin:

Ah, thanks. I honestly hadn't a clue what it was. It seemed like some peculiar alien instrument to me. :D Now I feel like a noob.

Sigur Ros is still the best 'post-rock' band ive seen live.. even beating out the recent Godspeed reunion show.

I have no doubt of that. Sigur Rós is right up there with Agalloch and Alcest on my list of bands to see live. I would actually expect it to be better than a GY!BE show.

its quite fantastic actually and might be on par with 'the earth is not a cold dead place' will have to give it a few more listens to decide.

People keep saying that. I don't see it (or hear it, to be exact). I think the new album is just as awesome as anything they've ever done - certainly not better, but definitely not "pales in comparison" territory, either. :confused:

I just don't agree. Maybe I'm not getting it, but I think Cold Dead Place is waaaaaaay better. It's probably my favorite album of theirs. To me there's just not a song on Take Care, Take Care, Take Care that measures up to "First Breath After Coma," "The Only Moment We Were Alone," or "Your Hand in Mine." Maybe it just needs some time to sink in. EITS isn't really the type of music though that I'd expect to 'take time to sink in,' so...

Natrlhi
04-04-2011, 02:33 PM
there's just not a song on Take Care, Take Care, Take Care that measures up to "First Breath After Coma,"Can't disagree with this part, at least. :bowdown:

idrinkwine732
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
I like this set quite a bit. I'd be fine with it in a few weeks.

bobbie solo
04-04-2011, 07:53 PM
still havent seen this band. so bummed.

see Sigor Ros when they tour again. if u want to be brought to tears at a show, this is the band. so beautiful.

illuminatus917
04-04-2011, 07:56 PM

see Sigor Ros when they tour again. if u want to be brought to tears at a show, this is the band. so beautiful.

I don't think they've been in the states since '08. Honestly, I don't know what they're up to these days. I haven't heard anything about a new album.

idrinkwine732
04-04-2011, 07:56 PM

:bawling:

bobbie solo
04-04-2011, 10:51 PM
jonsi (sp?) did his solo thing and toured behind it last year. they did a sparce amount of shows here in '09, but yeah their last full tour was '08. Saw them at Bonnaroo doing a 2am set. it was one of the most magical things ive ever seen in music. yes, this thread is decidedly NOT metal haha, part. my posts.

idrinkwine732
04-04-2011, 10:53 PM
I don't think they've been in the states since '08. Honestly, I don't know what they're up to these days. I haven't heard anything about a new album.

jonsi (sp?) did his solo thing and toured behind it last year. they did a sparce amount of shows here in '09, but yeah their last full tour was '08. Saw them at Bonnaroo doing a 2am set. it was one of the most magical things ive ever seen in music. yes, this thread is decidedly NOT metal haha, part. my posts.

Indefinite hiatus.

Not sure there will be another Sigur Rós show.

illuminatus917
04-04-2011, 11:17 PM

I would pay the price of a Bonarroo ticket just to see that.

Indefinite hiatus.

I kind of figured. Oh well. :snivel::violin::(:bawling:

bigguytoo9
04-05-2011, 08:56 AM

yeah Sigur Ros closed with "Untitled 8" when I saw em back in 05' and literally ive never seen a better song live by ANYONE. Roger Waters WALL tour is the only show that's beat Sigur Ros for me.

idrinkwine732
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm actually sort of giddy waiting for this show. Been jammin' all my EITS albums a lot recently.

mankvill
04-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I see Sigur Ros in this thread. Here's my story:

Jonsi toured here in Lawrence a while back. Last year? Year before? Don't really remember. It sold out pretty quick. The day of the concert, my step-dad came in town to help with some car problems and we went out to eat. On the way back, I saw some guys in matching clothes lugging some instrument cases and stuff around. As I passed by, I helped a guy get his guitar case. He said thanks and I could tell he wasn't from the US. We got to the car, and it hit me: I totally helped Jonsi out.

idrinkwine732
04-05-2011, 10:34 PM
I see Sigur Ros in this thread. Here's my story:

Jonsi toured here in Lawrence a while back. Last year? Year before? Don't really remember. It sold out pretty quick. The day of the concert, my step-dad came in town to help with some car problems and we went out to eat. On the way back, I saw some guys in matching clothes lugging some instrument cases and stuff around. As I passed by, I helped a guy get his guitar case. He said thanks and I could tell he wasn't from the US. We got to the car, and it hit me: I totally helped Jonsi out.

chill anecdote breh