Perpetual Black
Second Sane
Straws Pulled at Random
Future Breed Machine

Encore:
Soul Burn

:rocker:

FUCKING AWESOME SHOW!
The crowd was fucking wild! The pit was so intense that I think it beat Slayer in terms of insanity! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

The singer's stage prescence was really fucking powerful, as was the bassist's, but unfortunately the guitarists and drummer (obviously, he's at the back) weren't getting much attention from the audience :(

Singer told audience countless times that this crowd specifically was the best, or at least one of the best he'd ever played for, and that if he could, he'd take them all along for the remaining dates of the tour.

Also - one final thing. Has anybody noticed that the Z in obZen is just like the Z in Zildjian?

300%_Density
04-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Very bad ass set. I know those songs are long but it looks like a short set. How long did they actually play? Still jealous as fuck you got to see them headline. If only they would bring back Sickening or Gods Of Rapture. Cadaverous Mastication might be a pipe dream but I'm allowed to dream.

brutal_descent
04-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Very bad ass set. I know those songs are long but it looks like a short set. How long did they actually play? Still jealous as fuck you got to see them headline. If only they would bring back Sickening or Gods Of Rapture. Cadaverous Mastication might be a pipe dream but I'm allowed to dream.

8:15 - 8:45 BLEED
9:25 - 10:45 MESHUGGAH

kommie
04-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I've just started listening to Meshuggah, where's a good place to start, and are there any albums where they never playing anything off live? Should I avoid any CD?

insipidzombie
04-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I've just started listening to Meshuggah, where's a good place to start, and are there any albums where they never playing anything off live? Should I avoid any CD?

most of their live sets are drawn from obZen and Nothing, but they play some from Chaosphere and Destroy Erase Improve as well.

ShatteredFlame
04-03-2011, 04:04 PM

They never play I or Catch-33 (cause they are 2 incredibly long songs), but you should definitely get those because they are their best work.

adamclark52
04-03-2011, 04:57 PM

I've always preferred 'Destroy Erase Improve' the most. They usually only play a song or two off that album at each show, but it's usually the closer. It's probably a more straight forward album them. 'Chaosphere' is what the title says, their most chaotic album. 'Nothing' and 'ObZen' are pretty similar, with 'Obzen' just being much, much better. Both follow the more hypnotic side of Meshuggah. 'Catch 33' is okay. And the 'I' EP is actually a really good midway point between older chaotic Meshuggah and the never hypnotic Meshuggah.

If I were to rank their albums I'd go with:
1. Destroy Erase Improve
2. I
3. ObZen
4. Chaosphere
5. Nothing
6. Catch 33

I've only heard the original version of Nothing, and I've never been too much into anything before Destroy Erase Improve.

And to go with the original posters comments, Meshuggah have one of the best stage presence of any band I've ever seen. When I saw them open for Ministry in 2008 there was no intro music, just HEAVY feedback into the first song (Perpetual Black Second), the lights were all behind the band which gave a cool effect and they all headbanged in slow motion to the music. Awesome to watch and hear.

jhdeity
04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Kinda strange they didn't play New Millenium Cyanide Christ or Suffer in Truth, 2 of my favorites but still a great set.

To a new listener I'd recommend Chaosphere and Destroy Erase Improve. Once you've gotten into them I'd recommend Obzen, Nothing and I.

The old stuff Contradictions Collapse & None are really cool but much different their later stuff really.

I'm a huge Meshuggah fan but I still don't really get Catch 33. I'm hoping someday it clicks with me but it hasn't yet.

bigguytoo9
04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Ive seen MESHUGGAH 4 times live now, once with CYNIC opening.

Anyway, this is a pretty freaking awesome setlist, Soul Burn as the encore is much better then seeing Future Breed Machine close it out every show. Im still DYING to see them play Closed Eye Visuals.

bigguytoo9
04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
They never play I or Catch-33 (cause they are 2 incredibly long songs), but you should definitely get those because they are their best work.

I saw them for Catch 33 back in 2005 and they did a Medley from that album. I think it was In Death Is Death, Shed and a couple others. If someone can correct me please do so.

jd091
04-03-2011, 07:56 PM

CHAOSPHERE. Fucking perfect album. Its in my top 5 of all time. ObZen is also amazing. Start off with those two, both of them are pretty prevalent and played live. Nothing is a great album, but a little deep and very progressive. Destroy Erase Improve is also good, but of a different style than their later stuff.

To start, I recommend starting with Chaosphere and ObZen.

As for the set, fucking great! :rocker: I could go without seeing Stengah or Electric Red and replacing it with New Millennium Cyanide Christ or Corridor of Chameleons or something. Can't wait for the new album and eventual new tour

300%_Density
04-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Even though it is just an EP I still think their None EP is w/o a doubt the greatest thing that they have ever done. But that is just my :2cents:

ShatteredFlame
04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
I saw them for Catch 33 back in 2005 and they did a Medley from that album. I think it was In Death Is Death, Shed and a couple others. If someone can correct me please do so.

yeah, i was using "never" very loosely, or they haven't been playing anything off them recently.

I saw them for the obzen tour but I unfortunately couldn't have a great experience due to some personal stuff going on. Back then they were one of my favorite bands, but now I can barely listen to them. I still would see them again just one more time. (..and more if I enjoy the show)

illuminatus917
04-03-2011, 09:59 PM
That's one badass set. I sure wish this one would come to the states.

bobbie solo
04-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Chaosphere is their best album to me. It's much more mature and dense then their earlier work, and is their most aggressive overall. That material kicks ass live, much more than the newer stuff (other than "I", which would sound great live too). The newer albums are great, but like someone said, theyre hypnotic...alot of those are very repetitive and dont work as well at a show as the Chaosphere stuff does. I wish they would play more of it, its so good! Great band, hope they come back to the US soon and do some reasonably priced shows...i refused to pay $60+ for those bullshit Ministry shows.

jd091
04-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Chaosphere is their best album to me. It's much more mature and dense then their earlier work, and is their most aggressive overall. That material kicks ass live, much more than the newer stuff (other than "I", which would sound great live too). The newer albums are great, but like someone said, theyre hypnotic...alot of those are very repetitive and dont work as well at a show as the Chaosphere stuff does. I wish they would play more of it, its so good! Great band, hope they come back to the US soon and do some reasonably priced shows...i refused to pay $60+ for those bullshit Ministry shows.

Dude. Picture this: a night with Meshuggah. Chaosphere played in its entirety.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

I would pay an unhealthy amount of money to see that.

bobbie solo
04-03-2011, 11:37 PM
well, i would pay that much for a show like that, yes.

Natrlhi
04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Encore:
Soul BurnYou fucker. I still haven't seen / heard that song performed live yet. :finger:

Also - one final thing. Has anybody noticed that the Z in obZen is just like the Z in Zildjian?They are slightly different. Besides - Tomas plays Sabian cymbals exclusively.

I've just started listening to Meshuggah, where's a good place to start, and are there any albums where they never playing anything off live? Should I avoid any CD?Even though my favorite album of theirs is "Nothing", I usually suggest to a Meshuggah newcomer to start with "Destroy Erase Improve" and work his / her way forward chronologically from there, skipping "Catch 33". If they like what they've heard, I then suggest "Catch 33", "I" and "Contradictions Collapse / None".

Nick_to_the_face
04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
So much hate..

MetalMarkLI
04-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Even though it is just an EP I still think their None EP is w/o a doubt the greatest thing that they have ever done. But that is just my :2cents:

None EP is incredible :metal:

I love all the love for Meshuggah here. It really is a tough question about what album to go for first. "Nothing" is my favorite album, but I think to start off I would go with Destroy Erase Improve. You wont get blow away by Chaospheres intensity, but you will see real quick why Meshuggah is the heaviest band on the planet.

kommie
04-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Is the Nothing original release, or the re-master better? One would assume it's the re-master?

Nick_to_the_face
04-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Is the Nothing original release, or the re-master better? One would assume it's the re-master?

One would think..but that isn't always the case. Type O Negative's Bloody Kisses re-master left out two original tacks.

bigguytoo9
04-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Nothing is my fav Meshuggah cd, and the Original mix does it for me way more. Tomas sounds beastly on it.

Natrlhi
04-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Is the Nothing original release, or the re-master better? One would assume it's the re-master?The re-master is the band's favorite, and it sounds the way "it should have sounded in the first place", according to them. As far as personal preferences go, I don't have one - but if you're going to buy it, then get the re-master because it has a bonus DVD with it. :fist:

kevouellet
04-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Also, on the remaster the drums have been redone with the drumkit from hell. Which was sampled on Tomas' kit so it doesn't make much of a difference. The original was recorded on 7-string guitars but the songs were written for 8-strings; they were on a rush to release the album before Ozzfest 2002 and they didn't receive the guitars on time for recording. The mix and mastering was done in the timespan of about 4 days (I think) on the original because of the deadline; one could imagine how much sleep they had in these 4 days... The remaster was recorded on 8-strings.

The original is more raw and has a unique sound that is not found on other Meshuggah albums. The remaster sounds more like what they've released recently. (I, Catch 33, ObZen)