PDA

View Full Version : I miss....

Motograter_Ghost
04-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Can't sleep, flippin through the channels and nothin's on and ofcouse Jersey Shore is all over MTV *gag* I miss those days where at this time MTV would be playin real music right now or some amazing long ass interview with an epic band. So I thought I would create an "I Miss" Thread to reminisce about the good ol days. So what do you miss? An old band? Past band members? TV Show/Cartoons? A fad? The pure innocence of being young and ignorant? :P

I miss watchin old school American Gadiator's with my big bro on Saturday mornings, I miss slap bracelets, I miss my teddybear, oh and my glow worm!

TonyD
04-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I miss I Love The 80s

Motograter_Ghost
04-01-2011, 12:25 AM
I miss I Love The 80s

On VH1? That was a fun one. An I love the 90's would be awsome!

TonyD
04-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Already happened!

brutal_descent
04-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Not really 80s, but I miss the early South Park. Where it didn't rely on the incessant swearing to be funny :finger2:

HandOfDoom
04-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Well, I grew up in the 90s, which I definitely miss, and for some reason I also miss those days when the world wasn't so technologically driven.

Sanitarium78
04-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Headbangers Ball on MTV in the late 80s/early 90s.

Nick_to_the_face
04-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I miss when every knew band coming out didn't have the same ol' breakdowns on every song

Motograter_Ghost
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Not really 80s, but I miss the early South Park. Where it didn't rely on the incessant swearing to be funny :finger2:

I hear that...I can't even bare to watch it anymore...

I aso miss when all the awsome cartoons would come on after school at 4:00. I still wanna see those after work :( Duck Tails, Darkwing Duck, Tail Spin ect.... and on saturdays Beatlejuice, Garfeild and Friends, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles not the crappy looking TMNT cartoons they have now :(

Div
04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Speaking of Jersey Shore, that Snookie twat was at RU last night for some presentation. Apparently the school paid her $30,000 to come do a "comedy" performance. I didn't go, but from what I hear it included such hilarity as Snooki rating people's asses. Also, most girls seem to think that even though she is ugly on TV, she is way uglier in person.

Anyways, TV is so bad to watch that I consider it almost a sin. Who really needs to commit a couple hours a day to sit down and watch the next "family run middle class artisan shop owners create fake drama to make their jobs seem cooler" or "rich cunts gossip and buy shit" on TV? Not to say its worse today than when I was younger, MTV always had TRL on after school which most kids watched, but I never got into it much because the music sucked. Celebrity Deathmatch was cool tho.

Motograter_Ghost
04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Speaking of Jersey Shore, that Snookie twat was at RU last night for some presentation. Apparently the school paid her $30,000 to come do a "comedy" performance. I didn't go, but from what I hear it included such hilarity as Snooki rating people's asses. Also, most girls seem to think that even though she is ugly on TV, she is way uglier in person.

Anyways, TV is so bad to watch that I consider it almost a sin. Who really needs to commit a couple hours a day to sit down and watch the next "family run middle class artisan shop owners create fake drama to make their jobs seem cooler" or "rich cunts gossip and buy shit" on TV? Not to say its worse today than when I was younger, MTV always had TRL on after school which most kids watched, but I never got into it much because the music sucked. Celebrity Deathmatch was cool tho.

YES! Bring Celebrity Deathmatch back!

ShatteredFlame
04-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Celebrity Deathmatch sucked when they brought it back with that new animation.

JRA
04-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I miss Bouville. and overkiller.

RAZOR
04-01-2011, 12:40 PM
I was born in '92, so I really only remember the late 90's, but I miss all the Nickelodeon shows like Doug, Hey Arnold, etc.

...what a typical 90's kid reply.

Motograter_Ghost
04-01-2011, 12:46 PM
I was born in '92, so I really only remember the late 90's, but I miss all the Nickelodeon shows like Doug, Hey Arnold, etc.

...what a typical 90's kid reply.

I loved Doug!

DethMaiden
04-01-2011, 02:24 PM
I don't miss old TV, and neither should any of you in the age of the Internet. If you miss it, Google it and some shmuck will have uploaded every episode, maybe even to Youtube. And if not, Netflix definitely has it.

What I miss is being able to enjoy that TV the way I used to. It's a common fallacy assumed by '90s kid nostalgists that kids' shows used to be good and now they suck. No, they always sucked, and you used to be impressionable enough to think they were funny anyway. I dare anyone to try to Netflix The Wild Thornberrys or Rugrats. They were fucking awful shows, but we were kids.

Hell, the Fox Kids Spider-Man, which I watched every episode of from 1994 to 1998 (its entire run), is actually kind of bad. It hurts me to know this, but the comics are just so much better that it's tough to watch this violence-free, unclever show. But hey, when I was a kid, it was the greatest thing ever. See my point?

I'm also just annoyed by nostalgia in general, especially for recent times. It's a stupid surface level thing for people to bond over without having to elevate beyond the superficial. Herr, remember Dunkaroos? Yes, and now there's graham crackers that aren't shaped like kangaroos that you can dip in chocolate pudding if you like, so shut the fuck up. Remember Squeez-Its? Yes, and now I can drink sugary fruit juice out of any cup I like.

We are living in the best time. Technology doesn't move backwards. Convenience doesn't undo itself. If you miss things, like I said, dig them back up. Buy that toy you miss on eBay; it's probably $0.01 before shipping. Download that show you liked watching. Order that ice cream sundae you used to love. Just stop using it as a replacement for real conversation, ESPECIALLY if you're remembering stuff that isn't that fucking old.

/rant

evildeadjedi
04-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Metallica before they cut their hair.

rjturtle9
04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't miss old TV, and neither should any of you in the age of the Internet. If you miss it, Google it and some shmuck will have uploaded every episode, maybe even to Youtube. And if not, Netflix definitely has it.

What I miss is being able to enjoy that TV the way I used to. It's a common fallacy assumed by '90s kid nostalgists that kids' shows used to be good and now they suck. No, they always sucked, and you used to be impressionable enough to think they were funny anyway. I dare anyone to try to Netflix The Wild Thornberrys or Rugrats. They were fucking awful shows, but we were kids.

Hell, the Fox Kids Spider-Man, which I watched every episode of from 1994 to 1998 (its entire run), is actually kind of bad. It hurts me to know this, but the comics are just so much better that it's tough to watch this violence-free, unclever show. But hey, when I was a kid, it was the greatest thing ever. See my point?

I'm also just annoyed by nostalgia in general, especially for recent times. It's a stupid surface level thing for people to bond over without having to elevate beyond the superficial. Herr, remember Dunkaroos? Yes, and now there's graham crackers that aren't shaped like kangaroos that you can dip in chocolate pudding if you like, so shut the fuck up. Remember Squeez-Its? Yes, and now I can drink sugary fruit juice out of any cup I like.

We are living in the best time. Technology doesn't move backwards. Convenience doesn't undo itself. If you miss things, like I said, dig them back up. Buy that toy you miss on eBay; it's probably $0.01 before shipping. Download that show you liked watching. Order that ice cream sundae you used to love. Just stop using it as a replacement for real conversation, ESPECIALLY if you're remembering stuff that isn't that fucking old.

/rant

Nope. I still enjoy Rugrats and The Wild Thornberrys!

And most of the toys that I grew up with are now worth way too much money. Green Ranger toy for over $100!

ShatteredFlame
04-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I do hate it when people say that stuff today sucks and brag about how it was so much better in the good old days. But still, we grew up with that stuff. It's part of a chapter in our lives.

I'm not going to lie, I still watch Saturday morning cartoons (On CW 11) even at age 18. I've seen Dragonball Z so many times through in my life. It's not a great written TV show or anything but it still is entertaining as fuck. Same thing with Yu-Gi-Oh!, which is just really fun to make fun of how much they stall each episode. The only TV show that's on CW 11 right now that I used to watch but can't stand now is Sonic X, I used to watch it because I was a huge Sonic fan. Watching it today, I am annoyed by everything! Now, that new Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's I honestly don't understand shit.

hellawaits77ny
04-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Being in high school and having no bills.

BloodoftheKings
04-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I never liked The Wild Thornberries. That show and the Angry Beavers always pissed me off when they came on. I revisited Rocko's Modern Life and Hey Arnold recently and while I still enjoyed them they aren't as great as I remember. My favorite shows from my child hood I still enjoy as much as I did back then are Courage The Cowardly Dog and Ren & Stimpy.

illuminatus917
04-01-2011, 09:18 PM

I think nostalgia can go deeper than that. I think it's more a relationship between something a person was attached to and the time in their life when they were attached to it than the attachment itself. Using TV as an example, I don't think it's the actual TV show we miss as much as the experience of watching that TV show at that particular time in our life. Simply "digging it up" on the internet will never recapture that experience and intimacy that was realized when we were actually watching it for the first time… when it was "fresh."

Obviously getting all sad and weepy reminiscing about Dunkaroos is a bit on the shallow side, but sometimes I think nostalgia is for real.

Different things have different levels of impact according to the stage of the life they're impacting. Music could be another example. Songs can have meaning to a person just based on how the person responded to that song at a given time in their life; the actual quality of the song being irrelevant. I listened to Bohemian Rhapsody a few days ago for the first time in years. It was strangely nostalgic in a sense. It's the same old song, but from a different time in a distant place.

DethMaiden
04-01-2011, 09:20 PM
In principle I agree. Your connection to it is justifiable; the thing itself rarely is.

That's just in my view though, I'm grouchy. :tongue:

JuuKun
04-01-2011, 10:51 PM
For awhile I really missed Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles, which were my favorite cartoons as a kid.

Then I downloaded every episode of both onto my computer, and I've been watching them again. And they're still two of my favorite shows. :D

Motograter_Ghost
04-01-2011, 11:00 PM
I think nostalgia can go deeper than that. I think it's more a relationship between something a person was attached to and the time in their life when they were attached to it than the attachment itself. Using TV as an example, I don't think it's the actual TV show we miss as much as the experience of watching that TV show at that particular time in our life. Simply "digging it up" on the internet will never recapture that experience and intimacy that was realized when we were actually watching it for the first time… when it was "fresh."

Obviously getting all sad and weepy reminiscing about Dunkaroos is a bit on the shallow side, but sometimes I think nostalgia is for real.

Different things have different levels of impact according to the stage of the life they're impacting. Music could be another example. Songs can have meaning to a person just based on how the person responded to that song at a given time in their life; the actual quality of the song being irrelevant. I listened to Bohemian Rhapsody a few days ago for the first time in years. It was strangely nostalgic in a sense. It's the same old song, but from a different time in a distant place.

beautifully put :)

Maiden33
04-01-2011, 11:18 PM

/rant

You're going to make a very good bitter old man, just like me. Except you're apparently going to be even more bitter, since you won't even have nostalgia to make you happy. :tongue:

Nick_to_the_face
04-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I loved Doug!

:fist:

El Gordo
04-02-2011, 06:57 PM
I miss a shitload of things... I could list hundreds of old TV shows and movies, but I'll tell you the one thing I miss the most: Just being a kid! If I could transport myself back to my parents' basement, re-enacting WWF matches with my bro and occasionally getting into a real fight... would be priceless.

Motograter_Ghost
04-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I miss late night walks :( Been nice weather latly too...

powerslave_85
04-03-2011, 07:55 PM

/rant
Word. While I think that a lot of those 90's Nickelodeon shows were pretty damned good as far as kids' shows go (especially Hey Arnold and Doug), I don't really give a shit about them anymore, and all the nostalgia surrounding them is beyond silly. Though it is kind of fun to look back and realize how filthy Rocko's Modern Life actually was :lol: And WTF to anyone thinking Wild Thornberrys was a good show. It wasn't even funny!

The only shows from my childhood that still hold up are Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain. Animaniacs had SO many Hollywood and movie references that would go over kids' heads.

Wizzbang11
04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Everything I would miss I wasn't even conscious or alive for. I was born to late.

One thing that does get me is soda. Discontinued soda.
Seriously. Nostalgic as shit for that shit.

combustion07
04-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I miss old cartoons (Rocko's Modern Life, AHHH! Real Monsters, etc.) every time I see my niece and nephew watching Dora or any of the other crap on Nick I feel the urge to punch the tv.

powerslave_85
04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Seriously. Nostalgic as shit for that shit.I still haven't forgiven Dr. Pepper for getting rid of Diet Berries & Cream.

Nick_to_the_face
04-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Everything I would miss I wasn't even conscious or alive for. I was born to late.

Seriously. Nostalgic as shit for that shit.

Mr. Fucking Pibb

GarageMetal468
04-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Jolt Cola. Unless I'm missing something, I can't find it anywhere.

BloodoftheKings
04-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Mr. Fucking Pibb

They never discontinued that, I drink it all the time.

Nick_to_the_face
04-09-2011, 09:43 AM
They never discontinued that, I drink it all the time.

Pibb Extra is something totally different.
Unless it is still out there...and Kc is just a bitch for not having it