PDA

View Full Version : Trapped Under Ice Breaks A Fan's Jaw

treghet
03-27-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faX_YqoowZY

This video has been posted on a lot of sites, and I thought I'd share it here because I know at least a couple people here like the band. Trapped Under Ice is a hardcore band from Baltimore, for those of you who didn't know. This incident happened last night at a show in Germany. I'm copying this from the video description:

what happened: US-"Hardcore"band TRAPPED UNDER ICE played a show and a kid who loved the band jumped over the singer (aka pile-on / stagedive) so he could sing-a-long, they both fell down [off] the stage (absolutely no harm to the kid NOR the singer because of this), the singer then hit the kid two times in the face, the kid in defense not really knowing what the fuck was going on hit back, then chaos ensued, another member of the band left the stage and together with his singer started severly beating and stomping the kid resulting in a broken jaw that needed surgery.
back on stage the singer says "i'm not a fucking superhero, don't jump on me, don't you fucking hit me"

I'm curious to see how this will all play out. The band has yet to release a statement about the it, and their Facebook page is filling up with fans arguing.

mankvill
03-27-2011, 03:34 PM
does anyone not realize what type of shows these bands have?

treghet
03-27-2011, 03:43 PM
does anyone not realize what type of shows these bands have?

I'm kind of confused by your post. Are you saying because it's a hardcore show, it's okay to beat up a fan? Or that the vocalist should realize he will probably get knocked into the crowd at a show?

idrinkwine732
03-27-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm kind of confused by your post. Are you saying because it's a hardcore show, it's okay to beat up a fan? Or that the vocalist should realize he will probably get knocked into the crowd at a show?

You stage dive and mosh at your own risk. As hard as it is for me to say that, that includes what happens as a result.

treghet
03-27-2011, 04:21 PM
You stage dive and mosh at your own risk. As hard as it is for me to say that, that includes what happens as a result.

I agree with that. I've been hit in the face at shows before, and I go into the pit knowing it can happen at any time. However, a vocalist of a hardcore band should also accept the risk of being knocked into the crowd when playing intimate shows. I just don't think being knocked into the crowd justifies sending someone to the hospital for surgery.

mankvill
03-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah, what Wino said. It's definitely not okay to attack fans, but as soon as they step on stage (which the stage is basically shared between performers and fans at these types of shows) then you can't expect to be surprised when the performer feels threatened and retaliates.

Dimebag, Watain, etc.

300%_Density
03-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah, what Wino said. It's definitely not okay to attack fans, but as soon as they step on stage (which the stage is basically shared between performers and fans at these types of shows) then you can't expect to be surprised when the performer feels threatened and retaliates.

Dimebag, Watain, etc.

Can't help but agree w/ that. Hardcore show or not, you try getting on stage it's still pretty much at your own risk. Might be debatable the end result but getting on stage is still at your own risk.

Wizzbang11
03-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Well, at least they are actually "hardcore."
I'm sure their music is awful but props to them for being badasses and not giving a fuck.

christopher
03-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Stza from Leftover Crack once beat the shit out of my friend with his bass. My friend jumped on stage and jumped off, accidentally knocking off Stza's hat. Stza thought he was trying to steal it, so he chased after him and smashed him on the head with his bass. I can see how musicians can retaliate when they feel threatened or get their shit stolen. Its completely at your own risk once you step one foot on the stage, but to go so far as to gang up on the guy for a misunderstanding is a bit much.

ChildrenofSodom
03-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Being a hardcore band, they probably have machismo bullshit attitudes about "not takin' shit". This is stupid. No one deserves to have their jaw broken, especially if he hit you by accident. This behavior wouldn't be acceptable out in the real world, I don't think it should be acceptable in any club.

DethMaiden
03-27-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm gonna play UNO at a Trapped Under Ice show.

Wizzbang11
03-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Don't complain when you get your jaw broken and body smashed by skinheads.

If you go to a hardcore show, that's what you get, and why I'm not going to go to one (in addition to the lame music.) It's like GG Allin. You know what you're getting into, if you go that's on you. I'm impressed that they have not apologized yet.

JRA
03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Edit: Dammit, Brad beat me to it.

brutal_descent
03-27-2011, 09:35 PM
That's pretty hardcore.

IrritatedTrout
03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
:lol:The whole incident is stupid. The band, the fan, beating someone for an accident, and the genre.

hellawaits77ny
03-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Eh, I bet they'll lose some booking because of this. I can understand the singer being pissed, but another member of the band coming in? Yeah, real tough guys.

MPF
03-27-2011, 10:39 PM
sounds like Trapped Under Ice may end up Trapped Behind Bars

http://www.instantrimshot.com

Derelict
03-28-2011, 03:34 AM
:lol:The whole incident is stupid. The band, the fan, beating someone for an accident, and the genre.

some awesome posts in this thread, this was my favorite

makethemsuffer12
03-28-2011, 05:58 AM
That's bullshit. The violence is what I can't stand about the modern hardcore scene. Even besides the shit with TUI, moshing in general should be about having a good time, not purposefully inflicting physical pain on one another.

brutal_descent
03-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Once I read this thread, I immediately started discussing hardcore in general with my metalhead friend. He and I agreed that we'd be okay with hardcore if it's traditions ended at hardcore/deathcore/metalcore shows, but the problem is that the kids that go to these shows, they take their hardcore dancing and habits over to the other shows they go to. In Moscow, we have only one venue that (if you can call it that) allows climbing onto stage, and that place hosts acts all over the place, from Meshuggah, to Hatebreed, to Combichrist. When I'm at shows, I really don't want to have to look out for people crowd-surfing up to the stage from behind. I've been kicked in the head before, and it fucking sucks, outright. Same goes for the divers - if I duck another dozen times to defend my head from those fuckers, I'll develop a nervous tick. It's not that I'm hating on hardcore - I like Hatebreed, Biohazard, Terror, and Your Demise, among others - it's that what they do at these shows should be confined to the the shows where the traditions are, per say, traditional. [/rant]

People, please take what I've said into consideration, and tell me what you think. It's a strong issue which persistently pops up in my debates with my metal friends, and I'd like an outsider's point of view on it.

brutal_descent
03-28-2011, 06:31 AM
I agree partially. I've seen people hardcore dance at Suffocation and Immolation shows and it does not fit. However, crowd surfing and stage diving doesn't bother me at all. I specifically remember a video of Obituary playing "Turned Inside Out" back in '91 and by the end of song there had to have been at least 50 stage dives. That's the kind of show I want to be at!

It bothers me when I'm on the rail.

treghet
03-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Once I read this thread, I immediately started discussing hardcore in general with my metalhead friend. He and I agreed that we'd be okay with hardcore if it's traditions ended at hardcore/deathcore/metalcore shows, but the problem is that the kids that go to these shows, they take their hardcore dancing and habits over to the other shows they go to. In Moscow, we have only one venue that (if you can call it that) allows climbing onto stage, and that place hosts acts all over the place, from Meshuggah, to Hatebreed, to Combichrist. When I'm at shows, I really don't want to have to look out for people crowd-surfing up to the stage from behind. I've been kicked in the head before, and it fucking sucks, outright. Same goes for the divers - if I duck another dozen times to defend my head from those fuckers, I'll develop a nervous tick. It's not that I'm hating on hardcore - I like Hatebreed, Biohazard, Terror, and Your Demise, among others - it's that what they do at these shows should be confined to the the shows where the traditions are, per say, traditional. [/rant]

People, please take what I've said into consideration, and tell me what you think. It's a strong issue which persistently pops up in my debates with my metal friends, and I'd like an outsider's point of view on it.

I agree partially. I've seen people hardcore dance at Suffocation and Immolation shows and it does not fit. However, crowd surfing and stage diving doesn't bother me at all. They aren't really just for hardcore shows. I specifically remember a video of Obituary playing "Turned Inside Out" back in '91 and by the end of song there had to have been at least 50 stage dives. That's the kind of show I want to be at!

brutal_descent
03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
I agree partially. I've seen people hardcore dance at Suffocation and Immolation shows and it does not fit. However, crowd surfing and stage diving doesn't bother me at all. They aren't really just for hardcore shows. I specifically remember a video of Obituary playing "Turned Inside Out" back in '91 and by the end of song there had to have been at least 50 stage dives. That's the kind of show I want to be at!

LOL double post.

treghet
03-28-2011, 06:55 AM
LOL double post.

Nah, I added another sentence and just reposted it instead of editing it. But you replied before I posted it. :tongue:

But to add a little more... I think it also depends on what band is playing. If people are stage diving and crowd surfing to Enslaved, Immortal, etc. then that's just weird.

treghet
03-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Post by the vocalist on Facebook:

First off I'd like to say I'm sorry for not getting this done sooner. We've had very limited Internet access over here in Europe. There are a lot of things being said about the events in Essen a few days ago. Some are true some are not. I would first like to clarify that I didn't do what I did out of ANGER but what I thought was self defense. When I was knocked off the stage I hit my head, a lot of stuff after that is a blur. However it is clear that I took it too far and I'm sorry for that. Id like to keep the other parties name out of this, as I'm not certain if he is comfortable with being named. At end of the night I got the chance to apologize to him face to face and he accepted my apology. I think a lot of people may be unaware of that at this point. In any case, I'm very sorry to the other party involved. Im sorry to anyone who had to witness my stupid behavior. This is not typical behavior for me or my band. Don't feel discouraged to come out to the rebellion tour. Our actions do not represent the package. So again, I apologize.

- justice and trapped under ice

Seems fair enough. I'm glad they released a statement.

powerslave_85
03-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Sounds reasonable to me; at least he owned up to it and apologized. Ben Weasel could learn a thing or two.

Sepultura69
03-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Am I the only person that thought this was a metallica cover band when they read the title of this thread?

I honestly didn't know a band named "Trapped Under Ice" existed until I clicked on this thread. When I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of a Metallica Cover band or something, especially with a name like "TRAPPED UNDER ICE" :cool:

Nick_to_the_face
03-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Am I the only person that thought this was a metallica cover band when they read the title of this thread?

I honestly didn't know a band named "Trapped Under Ice" existed until I clicked on this thread. When I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of a Metallica Cover band or something, especially with a name like "TRAPPED UNDER ICE" :cool:

This.

larvtard
03-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow, what assholes.

elturtleboy
03-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Nope,Trapped Under Ice is actually a good band,not death/metalcore shit. But yeah when i go to hxc shows i always see a shitload of kids jump on the singer trying to sing a long(ceremony,black breath) but they're usually cool with it. Id see why he'd feel threatened and hit him. But nah he shouldve pushed him not break his jaw. Fuuuh i wonder if ill be able to see em now

JRA
03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Post by the vocalist on Facebook:

Seems fair enough. I'm glad they released a statement.

suck it Wizzbang.

daimonos
03-28-2011, 02:06 PM
But to add a little more... I think it also depends on what band is playing. If people are stage diving and crowd surfing to Enslaved, Immortal, etc. then that's just weird.

There was a (yes, just one) hardcore dancer at the Opeth/Enslaved show back in 2009. Needless to say, his ninja fighting demonstration didn't fit too well with Ruun blasting out of the speakers.

ravenheart
03-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Almost all venues in London CLAIM to not allow crowd surfing, but basically do. So people do it at EVERY metal show, expecting to be caught by the security guards when they reach the pit at the front and helped round to the side and back into the crowd.

Therefore I find it FUCKING HILARIOUS when the guards don't bother standing in the pit and some of these assholes surf to the front and drop on their heads because there's no one there to catch them.

A wise man once said "crowd surfing is an infringement on my good time".

Wizzbang11
03-28-2011, 05:14 PM
suck it Wizzbang.

Statements on them being badasses- retracted.

rjturtle9
03-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Therefore I find it FUCKING HILARIOUS when the guards don't bother standing in the pit and some of these assholes surf to the front and drop on their heads because there's no one there to catch them.

I don't. I've been there and trust me it aint fun.

brutal_descent
03-28-2011, 08:43 PM

That sounds so painful :eek:

ravenheart
03-29-2011, 03:51 AM

There's a lesson to be learned there.

rjturtle9
03-29-2011, 02:56 PM
There's a lesson to be learned there.

Yeah, to the security, to catch all the fans not just some.

IrritatedTrout
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Or don't crowd surf and impede on the good time of those on the rail who have to avoid your ass.;)

rjturtle9
03-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Or don't crowd surf and impede on the good time of those on the rail who have to avoid your ass.;)

It's a metal show. Yeah I agree at Black Metal shows and Prog Metal shows you shouldn't have to watch for crowd surfers, but at hardcore shows and thrash shows... etc, it's going to happen. If you don't like it then don't go to those kind of shows, or just not be on the rail.

idrinkwine732
03-29-2011, 05:48 PM
It's a metal show. Yeah I agree at Black Metal shows and Prog Metal shows you shouldn't have to watch for crowd surfers, but at hardcore shows and thrash shows... etc, it's going to happen. If you don't like it then don't go to those kind of shows, or just not be on the rail.

You mosh and stage dive at your own risk, man.

El Gordo
03-29-2011, 06:07 PM

I fucking love thrash. I love thrash shows. But if I get the chance, I'll punch a crowd-surfer in the nuts as he passes overhead. :rocker:

IrritatedTrout
03-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I fucking love thrash. I love thrash shows. But if I get the chance, I'll punch a crowd-surfer in the nuts as he passes overhead. :rocker:

I'll be violent if it's one of those cases where it's the same idiot surfing over and over again and kicking everyone they can. Moshing, surfing, stage diving, etc seems very stupid to me but thankfully I only really like a handful of metal bands enough to go see their shows anymore so I don't have to put up with it much.

Screaming, fist pumping, head banging, and singing as loud as you can = :blaze:

Hitting people clearly not moshing, obstructing their view, and forcefully distracting them from the show they paid for = :lame:

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not talking about hardcore shows here. I don't go to those and I don't care if people beat each other senseless.

Wizzbang11
03-29-2011, 06:37 PM
I hate getting crowdsurfed on, but you know what- it makes thrash/punk etc shows a hell of a lot cooler when people are flying everything so I can handle a boot to the face.

Natrlhi
03-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Please allow me to use several rarely used smilies to express how I feel about the direction this thread has taken:

:bawling:

:violin:

:deadhorse

:wallbang:

:blah:

:zzz:

That is all.

IrritatedTrout
03-29-2011, 07:08 PM
I hate getting crowdsurfed on, but you know what- it makes thrash/punk etc shows a hell of a lot cooler when people are flying everything so I can handle a boot to the face.

Yeah, maybe. As far as thrash goes I really only like the Big 4 + Testament and I don't think the crowdsurfing adds any value to the show but Metallica and Megadeth aren't thrash anymore anyways so yeah.:lol:

idrinkwine732
03-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Please allow me to use several rarely used smilies to express how I feel about the direction this thread has taken:
That is all.

Allow me to use a few images to show express you over time.

http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/user/2/23164-119212-Gamingjpg-468x.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/2507514437_7be6546ba2.jpg
http://www.sexrev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/angry-old-man.jpg

;)

Natrlhi
03-29-2011, 07:45 PM
^ ...and yet, even at my advanced age, I can remember each and every one of the 3,876,918,369,835,687 times this conversation has been had on here.

And every time, like me, it just keeps getting older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older, and older.

IrritatedTrout
03-29-2011, 08:13 PM

That is all.

:D

brutal_descent
03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah, maybe. As far as thrash goes I really only like the Big 4 + Testament and I don't think the crowdsurfing adds any value to the show but Metallica and Megadeth aren't thrash anymore anyways so yeah.:lol:

I've seen each of the Big Four (some more than once), and honestly - the only ones that don't have moshing going on in their pits nowadays are Metallica and Anthrax.

Motograter_Ghost
03-29-2011, 10:26 PM

I used to think like that as Im addicted to the rail and the rail is deffinatly stomping grounds...meaning you will get stomped in the head...lol. I would be fine after the first couple but as the bruises got biger I would start to get aggrivated until one amazing night when I was in Chicago for a 5FDP show and man I really took one hard to the head and had to stay after the show for a while to shake it off. When I finally left after the venue was practically empty Vinne Paul caught me eye so I gotto meet this drumming icon and another one of my fav drummers Jeremy Spencer so it made it all worth it. Took me a while to realize that was the best night of my life and if that person hadnt of left their footprint permenatly in my skull I prolly woulda never met Vinnie. Now I say bring it on! Proud to take a foot in the face! It will only be a reminder of an amazing memory....

ravenheart
03-30-2011, 12:28 AM
I used to think like that as Im addicted to the rail and the rail is deffinatly stomping grounds...meaning you will get stomped in the head...lol. I would be fine after the first couple but as the bruises got biger I would start to get aggrivated until one amazing night when I was in Chicago for a 5FDP show and man I really took one hard to the head and had to stay after the show for a while to shake it off. When I finally left after the venue was practically empty Vinne Paul caught me eye so I gotto meet this drumming icon and another one of my fav drummers Jeremy Spencer so it made it all worth it. Took me a while to realize that was the best night of my life and if that person hadnt of left their footprint permenatly in my skull I prolly woulda never met Vinnie. Now I say bring it on! Proud to take a foot in the face! It will only be a reminder of an amazing memory....

Erm, that's dumb. You know that right?

ravenheart
03-30-2011, 12:29 AM
Yeah, to the security, to catch all the fans not just some.

:tp: That's not their job.

ravenheart
03-30-2011, 12:33 AM
or just not be on the rail.

That's my preference. Although really, why should people have to actively avoid the best spot in the venue because of the inevitability that half the crowd will behave like morons?

I still remember the first time I saw Opeth and some guy tried to crowd surf. The crowd just immediately dropped him. No one else crowd surfed.

That's why I'm all for security not being there to catch crowdsurfers. One or two drops on the head and people will soon learn. Or catch them, but actually make good on the threat to throw people out. All the signs say they will, but they never do.

RAZOR
03-30-2011, 09:29 AM
I'd rather have security around to catch crowd surfers. When I see them get up by the rail because they see someone coming, I know to put my hands up to protect myself.

bt11763
03-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I've seen each of the Big Four (some more than once), and honestly - the only ones that don't have moshing going on in their pits nowadays are Metallica and Anthrax.

Anthrax had the best pit when i saw them back in october. I believe that about metallica though.

but honestly, any of you who are talking about enacting violence on crowd surfers are just as bad (and in my eyes worse) than those you are pissed off at. I'm looking at you el gordo, if you actually do that, you are a fucking numbskull. i will agree that certain bands and subgenres don't exactly call for people behaving that way, and there are people out there who do it just because they are fucking mongoloids, but people stage diving, crowd surfing, and moshing are part of the culture. if you can't handle that to the point of getting violent with those who aren't actually trying to be violent with you, then you do not belong on the rail. you enter shows like that at your own risk, and you should understand that there is a chance that there's going to be people pulling shit like that, whether they mean harm or not. and the rail isn't always the best place to be for a show, especially from a sound standpoint. all of this being said, i mosh, crowdsurf, and stage dive, because i like the rush, the sense of community, and the feeling of having music push me so far to the point that i will risk my health, life and safety. there is no drug more powerful than that.

makethemsuffer12
03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Anthrax had the best pit when i saw them back in october. I believe that about metallica though.

but honestly, any of you who are talking about enacting violence on crowd surfers are just as bad (and in my eyes worse) than those you are pissed off at. I'm looking at you el gordo, if you actually do that, you are a fucking numbskull. i will agree that certain bands and subgenres don't exactly call for people behaving that way, and there are people out there who do it just because they are fucking mongoloids, but people stage diving, crowd surfing, and moshing are part of the culture. if you can't handle that to the point of getting violent with those who aren't actually trying to be violent with you, then you do not belong on the rail. you enter shows like that at your own risk, and you should understand that there is a chance that there's going to be people pulling shit like that, whether they mean harm or not. and the rail isn't always the best place to be for a show, especially from a sound standpoint. all of this being said, i mosh, crowdsurf, and stage dive, because i like the rush, the sense of community, and the feeling of having music push me so far to the point that i will risk my health, life and safety. there is no drug more powerful than that.
:fist:

Wizzbang11
03-30-2011, 12:07 PM

:fist:[2]

Anyone who attacks people for crowdsurfing more than deserves and injury they sustain in the process.
Sadly most of this board is filled with people who don't enjoy "metal culture" or who act superior to those who do (just look at the post your pictures thread) so I think inevitably this will end with most people agreeing that metal is best enjoyed purely "for the music" and without any element of danger.

bt11763
03-30-2011, 12:51 PM

Anyone who attacks people for crowdsurfing more than deserves and injury they sustain in the process.
Sadly most of this board is filled with people who don't enjoy "metal culture" or who act superior to those who do (just look at the post your pictures thread) so I think inevitably this will end with most people agreeing that metal is best enjoyed purely "for the music" and without any element of danger.

i wouldn't say the board is "filled," but threads like these are.

but that's what is so unique about heavy music, is the completely different way that it is responded to. of course now you have deathcore bands and their followers into music solely for this reason, and i fucking despise that to no end. but some of the coolest moments of my life included being a part of a crowd that was going absolutely apeshit to Primus with the skyline of NYC behind me, or jumping off of a monitor into a sold out crowd of people, to end up landing on my ass and to hurt every one of my extremities, along with those of the people around me, but only to be picked and patted on the back by those same people. this area of music (i'm including metal, punk, and hardcore for this broad generalization) is the first and only true form of music to have this sort of crowd interaction and reaction.
if you don't feel it the way i do, that's absolutely fine, i don't expect or want you to, because you get your own feeling from it. but to think that you are above or more entitled to an experience than someone that doesn't have ill intentions (because i think that anyone who goes to a show just to mosh/fight/whatever is a lesser being and should be exterminated with extreme prejudice) is ridiculous.

plus, how could you not think that something like this isn't the coolest fucking thing ever?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FReXY-aKoKY

IrritatedTrout
03-30-2011, 01:08 PM

Because enjoying music "for the music" doesn't make any sense at all, right?;) No, I get what you're saying. I used to be all into "metal culture" but then I realized it wasn't for me at all. Still, the point of music is to listen to it and enjoy, everything else is secondary and, depending on your point of view, completely irrelevant.

plus, how could you not think that something like this isn't the coolest fucking thing ever?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FReXY-aKoKY

Looks cool but goddamn I would not want to be there. Props to the kids climbing on the ceiling though, I wouldn't hate moshing if more kids decided to be inventive like that.

JRA
03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
The first time I saw Megadeth, there was a rather nasty pit going on during Holy Wars.

Motograter_Ghost
03-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Erm, that's dumb. You know that right?

Then consider this girl "full on retard" :P

El Gordo
03-30-2011, 02:45 PM

:lol: I'd never ever punch somebody who wasn't expecting it. I fucking hate crowd surfers, but if I got punched in the nuts every time somebody thought I was being obnoxious, my chances of reproducing would be less than 0%. I'm sorry if you thought I was being serious. :lol:

rjturtle9
03-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Because enjoying music "for the music" doesn't make any sense at all, right?;) No, I get what you're saying. I used to be all into "metal culture" but then I realized it wasn't for me at all. Still, the point of music is to listen to it and enjoy, everything else is secondary and, depending on your point of view, completely irrelevant.

If you go to a metal concert, expect to get the metal concert experience. If you just want to listen to the music, and enjoy it comfertably, then go buy yourself a live album, and listen to it at home.

It is true about the people that go to shows just to mosh and be dicks, but not everyone there is doing it for that reason. It's a rush. It's people enjoying the music thier way. They bought a ticket to the show too, so let them enjoy it. I don't want to go to a slayer show and see the crowd standing around just watching the performance like their at some theater just because some asshole on the rail wants to enjoy the show in a different way then everyone else.

IrritatedTrout
03-30-2011, 02:58 PM
If you go to a metal concert, expect to get the metal concert experience. If you just want to listen to the music, and enjoy it comfertably, then go buy yourself a live album, and listen to it at home.

It is true about the people that go to shows just to mosh and be dicks, but not everyone there is doing it for that reason. It's a rush. It's people enjoying the music thier way. They bought a ticket to the show too, so let them enjoy it. I don't want to go to a slayer show and see the crowd standing around just watching the performance like their at some theater just because some asshole on the rail wants to enjoy the show in a different way then everyone else.

That's what you moshers never understand. ;) It's not mosh or do nothing. There's tons of gray in between. Yelling, singing, jumping, headbanging, fist pumping, etc is a great way to express yourself without violating someone elses concert "rights", for complete lack of a better term.

I know I'm not gonna change anyone's mind, but no ones gonna change mine either. That's the beauty of arguing on the internet.:lol: You can continue thinking I'm boring and I'll continue thinking moshers are rude neanderthals. No offense intended of course.:tongue:

rjturtle9
03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
That's what you moshers never understand. ;) It's not mosh or do nothing. There's tons of gray in between. Yelling, singing, jumping, headbanging, fist pumping, etc is a great way to express yourself without violating someone elses concert "rights", for complete lack of a better term.

I agree with that. If I see a band like Avantasia or something, I don't think moshing and crowd surifing would seem like a great idea. But at other shows, I say bring on the fun slamming and surfing.

I know I'm not gonna change anyone's mind, but no ones gonna change mine either. That's the beauty of arguing on the internet.:lol: You can continue thinking I'm boring and I'll continue thinking moshers are rude neanderthals. No offense intended of course.:tongue:

Yeah, true that.

Wizzbang11
03-30-2011, 05:02 PM

Everyone has the right to enjoy whatever sort of music they want to, I don't give a shit. It's music. Shows on the other hand are part of the culture. I'm not going to go to a reggae concert and bitch about the smoke or expect it to be any other way, same should go for people who go to metal shows and don't approve of the culture. The percentages might be skewed since this is the internet and not a randomly chosen selection of people at a thrash show, but the majority of concert goers are tolerant of insanity at concerts, especially with the more extreme genres of metal. From a band perceptive too, it's waaay better to play extreme music to a crowd going crazy than a bunch of people standing there wanting to simply watch and enjoy the music.

DethMaiden
03-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Interestingly, the first time I moshed (intentionally/not out of anger at someone doing something dumb) was at Flogging Molly, and the first time I crowd surfed was at Coheed and Cambria.

So yeah...doesn't take metal to behave with reckless abandon at a show! Also, I'm pretty tolerant of it unless someone is being an asshole, moshing with the intention to injure, crowdsurfing sloppy drunk and hitting a bunch of people needlessly, being 400 pounds and smelly in the pit and taking your shirt off, stuff like that.

bt11763
04-01-2011, 09:30 AM
:lol: I'd never ever punch somebody who wasn't expecting it. I fucking hate crowd surfers, but if I got punched in the nuts every time somebody thought I was being obnoxious, my chances of reproducing would be less than 0%. I'm sorry if you thought I was being serious. :lol:

oh fair enough :lol: just a general statement however, all is forgiven ;)