PDA

View Full Version : Dave Mustaine is still hilarious

Wizzbang11
03-20-2011, 11:37 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=155495
"Joel McIver of U.K.'s Total Guitar magazine caught up with MEGADETH frontman Dave Mustaine to talk about the band's seminal album "Peace Sells… But Who's Buying?", as part of the magazine's thrash special (Total Guitar issue 213 - on sale March 1. Instead they wound up talking about black magic, Catholicism and SLAYER. A couple of excerpts from the chat that weren't used in the article follow below.

Total Guitar: Dave, it's 25 years since the "Peace Sells… But Who's Buying?" album. Any plans to play it live?

Mustaine: Performance wise, "The Conjuring" is one of the heaviest songs on the record, but unfortunately it's got black magic in it and I promised that I wouldn't play it any more, because there's a lot of instructions for hexes in that song. Although it seems kinda corny, anybody who's a Wiccan or a warlock or anything like that will know that all of that stuff is instrumental.

When I got into black magic I put a couple of spells on people when I was a teenager and it haunted me forever, and I've had so much torment. People say, "Goddamn, Dave never gets a break, he's had such a hard life," and I just think, "No, Dave didn't — he got into black magic and it ruined his life." It wasn't that I was a bad guy or that I had a big mouth, it was that I got into witchcraft and black magic and it ruined my life. Fortunately for me, with all the work and the love of my friends, and not giving up with my guitar playing, I got over it. So I look back now and I think, "Hmm, I don't wanna play 'The Conjuring'."

I look at songs like "Black Friday" and I think, "That would be a good song to play, too," but I look at the lyrics, which are about a homicidal madman who goes on a killing spree. Now, the irony of all of this is that I said I wasn't going to play it but we've got the 25-year anniversary coming up and people are saying we have to do this record. And I'm thinking that I can't possibly do that and stay true to myself. But I'm sure where there's a will there's a way.

When I first got saved about 10 years ago, I was really scared and I was basically holding on to anything that I heard in church or whatever, but as I've grown I've learned a lot and lightened up a lot, and I see people around me doing certain things and instead of me saying, "Man, you shouldn't do that!" I think quietly to myself, "Dude, you don't know what you're doing…" It's a huge growth process.

Total Guitar: Tom Araya of SLAYER is a practicing Catholic, and he goes onstage and sings "The Antichrist" every night…

Mustaine: Yeah. Y'know, I really cherish the relationship that I've rebuilt with the guys in SLAYER right now and I'm gonna sidestep that, because I don't know anything about Catholicism and I do know that I am very appreciative of not having any feuds right now, so I'm gonna skip that one, if you don't mind. "

300%_Density
03-20-2011, 11:47 AM
I have nothing constructive to say... I just can't wait for what comedy will ensue in this post...

treghet
03-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Wow. Hahahaha

ravenheart
03-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I read this the other day. Almost as hilarious as his prayer babble after the kidney stones thing.

slapguitarer
03-20-2011, 12:12 PM
He best play those songs. Black Friday is the best song off of Peace Sells.

Indestructible
03-20-2011, 12:31 PM
If Dave wants to be indoctrinated by religion and use that as an excuse for why he doesn't want to play certain songs then fine. But Dave needs to realize that if there is a god, god doesn't give a fuck if you write about black magic or serial killers. God gave us freewill right? Maybe god wanted you to write about this stuff. As long you are not actually killing people no harm is done. It's just a song, black magic and serial killers are interesting topics to write about.
As for black magic spells actually working, anything is possible so I don't know if there is a certain way to do a witchcraft spell and make it work, it could be possible. I doubt it but you never know.

Dissimulate
03-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Mustaine should start doing heroin again. It can't make him any more of a dick, but it will hopefully make him shut the fuck up about stuff like this. He should realize that Araya is way more Christ-y then he'll ever be and yet manages to be a couple hundred times more Satanic.

rjturtle9
03-20-2011, 01:29 PM
He should realize that Araya is way more Christ-y then he'll ever be and yet manages to be a couple hundred times more Satanic.

This is an epic quote. Well done sir.

Sepultura69
03-20-2011, 01:36 PM
It's not really a "Peace Sells 25th anniversary tour" if Dave decides to not play two of the best songs on the album....

Also, the tom araya thing is so fucking true that it's not even funny. Dave should grow some hair on his balls. Fuckin' pussy.

Dextrimental
03-20-2011, 02:19 PM
And I'm thinking that I can't possibly do that and stay true to myself. But I'm sure where there's a will there's a way.

This = If the moneys good I will play anything.

Total Guitar: Tom Araya of SLAYER is a practicing Catholic, and he goes onstage and sings "The Antichrist" every night…

Mustaine: Yeah. Y'know, I really cherish the relationship that I've rebuilt with the guys in SLAYER right now and I'm gonna sidestep that, because I don't know anything about Catholicism and I do know that I am very appreciative of not having any feuds right now, so I'm gonna skip that one, if you don't mind. "

This = Dodging the question because he knows that by Tom doing that, he has far more integrity than Dave.

JRA
03-20-2011, 02:20 PM
My Last Words is a better song than both of those anyway. :eyes:

Seriously, I bet if that baby had access to Black Album royalties he'd fucking play Conjuring and Black Friday.

I really need to stop clicking on Dave Mustaine interview links. They make me want to throw out my Megadeth collection every time I do.

Travis The Dragon
03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
I totally agree with all of you that Dave's such a fucking pussy about all of this.

DethMaiden
03-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Tom sings the Antichrist every night? Where are these shows happening and how can I get tickets?

mankvill
03-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Is this interview a few months old? Didn't Dave already say that Megadeth is for sure playing all of Peace Sells near the end of this year?

BloodoftheKings
03-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Dave should just be like Araya and not give a shit what the lyrics are about. And Megadeth just did a Rust In Peace tour where he played Five Magics. That song was about black magic to so what makes The Conjuring any worse?

mankvill
03-20-2011, 04:37 PM
That song was about black magic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_Five_Magics

BloodoftheKings
03-20-2011, 05:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_Five_Magics

O, I didn't know that. :eyes:

scrunt
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
If Dave's getting religion helps keep him sober and keep his life together then that is a good thing and I fully support it; however, he needs to chill a little. If the guy honestly believes that he cast magic spells on people when he was younger and they really were effective then he may be a few fries short of a happy meal. Black Magic ruined his life; so apparently his problems weren't caused by drugs and alcohol, they were really caused by black magic; awesome! The guy doesn't want to play Conjuring or Black Friday; maybe he should have a heart-to-heart with Tom Araya or Ralph Santolla about the difference between reality and entertainment. I am a big fan of Dave's work and I will continue to go see him, but jeez dude, it's just entertainment, it's not reality.:)

DisposableJustice
03-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Tom sings the Antichrist every night? Where are these shows happening and how can I get tickets?

I think the interviewer was overstating that; they have only been doing Antichrist on European Carange which is only 4 dates in.....the interview prob. just pulled the song name out of his ass to entice Dave

I agree with a lot of the posters here; I can't believe by playing The Conjuring that Dave is going to have a nervous breakdown or his spine is going to explode; I am not shitting on his views but it's ok Dave you can do it; if you need to rent-a-priest for each show its played then do it

ravenheart
03-21-2011, 02:33 AM
Dave's an ass and his interviews are hilarious, agreed.

However, I'm not going to comment on beliefs. How do we know who's right? Maybe Tom's wrong for playing the songs he plays and Dave's right for denouncing certain songs.

That we don't agree with him (and I certainly don't) is here nor there. They're his beliefs, not ours.

I have no time for religion at all, but if other people do then fine. Unless they kill people and blame it on religion. That's different (and isn't really religion either).

Natrlhi
03-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Dave's an ass and his interviews are hilarious, agreed.

However, I'm not going to comment on beliefs. How do we know who's right? Maybe Tom's wrong for playing the songs he plays and Dave's right for denouncing certain songs.

That we don't agree with him (and I certainly don't) is here nor there. They're his beliefs, not ours.

I have no time for religion at all, but if other people do then fine. Unless they kill people and blame it on religion. That's different (and isn't really religion either).This.

Tom sings the Antichrist every night? Where are these shows happening and how can I get tickets?:lol: Nice. I concur, by the way. I'll even buy your ticket if it's true. :tongue:

So seriously, though - is Araya really a practicing Catholic, or is that just some bullshit?

Wizzbang11
03-21-2011, 06:25 AM
So seriously, though - is Araya really a practicing Catholic, or is that just some bullshit?

Most Mexicans are "culturally" Catholic yet practice the religion pretty terribly. I would imagine he is the same. I'm sure he probably believes in god, agrees with some biblical teachings etc., but I doubt he regularly attends church. Whether it's hip to still sing about Satanic stuff and claim to be a devote Catholic or not, he's still pretty terrible at taking his religion seriously if he sings about Satanism, human sacrifice, necrophilia, mass murder etc. while performing in front of burning pentagrams.
I'm glad he still does it, but it doesn't give him Catholic points. Same with most christians who don't hate gays. Awesome, but they are doing it kind of wrong.

JRA
03-21-2011, 06:25 AM

Yea...as much as I liked Aggressive Perfector, I would have liked Antichrist even more. Also, Araya isn't Mexican.

Natrlhi
03-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Also, Araya isn't Mexican.Yeah, he's Chilean. I think that "automatically" makes you Catholic too, though. :lol:

Wizzbang11
03-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Yeah, he's Chilean. I think that "automatically" makes you Catholic too, though. :lol:

Same thing, and yes, still does.

illuminatus917
03-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Have you got religion? ... Are you saved? ... Do you love Jesus? Brother, god can save you. ... Jesus is the sinner's friend. ... Rest your head on Jesus ... dear, dear Jesus! Curse 'til thunder shakes the stars! Curse 'til this blasphemy is cursed from the face of heaven! Curse 'til the hissing name of Jesus, which writhes like a snake in a snare, is driven from the kingdom of faith.

hellawaits77ny
03-21-2011, 08:55 PM
I believe Tom had a somewhat strict religious upbringing, but I don't think he's a "practicing" Catholic still. I think I read somewhere that he's a believer, but doesn;t really practice Christianity or Catholicism.

It seems to me he's sorta like me in that sense: I'm a Confirmed Catholic and believe in God + Jesus Christ, but I don't go to church or really practice religion (well, I admit I do pray before football games and for relatives + my girlfriend). I don't do it to be blasphemous, I just choose not to. It's just me, but I personally don't have an issue w/ being Catholic + listening to Slayer, or for that matter, Deicide. It's not like I run around shouting "Death To Jesus", so I don't think it's a big deal. It may sound like I'm rambling, but that's how Tom is, I think.

It appears Dave is just devout. Not my thing, but good for him. I read somewhere that religion is the 1st thing in his life that's ever make him truly happy. So if that means not playing 'The Conjuring', go for it.

DisposableJustice
03-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Now I understand why Dave doesn't want to be involved with those songs..

because it would screw up his new sponsorship!!!!

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/meh.ro6842.jpg

:eyes:

brutal_descent
03-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Now I understand why Dave doesn't want to be involved with those songs..

because it would screw up his new sponsorship!!!!

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/meh.ro6842.jpg

:eyes:

This.