PDA

View Full Version : Internet

orlandodavis
03-19-2011, 08:52 PM
What would you be listening to if the internet was never invented?

RAZOR
03-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Korn, Disturbed, etc. Basically all of the rock/metal stuff they play on local radio is what I'd be listening to, still.

slapguitarer
03-19-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm sure for the most part Radio Metal.

IrritatedTrout
03-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Country music.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
03-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I was listening to metal 13 years before I ever first got on to the internet, so Metal.

Maiden33
03-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Honestly, a decent amount of the same stuff I listen to now. I'm sure the musical evolution wouldn't have been as fast or as big, but I got into metal on my own, and my biggest step into the primary subgenres I listen to now came through actual friends, not the internet. When I was just starting to get into lesser-known bands (Stratovarius, Edguy, etc), I began hanging around this local record shop with some older friends, who ended up turning me on to a lot of other bands, and it just grew from there.

mankvill
03-19-2011, 09:29 PM
what the fuck is this thread

Wizzbang11
03-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, I've always loved music so I probably would have ended up going to our local Vinyl Revolution. The owner used to run the Record Vault in SF and was deep within the scene, and has thousands of metal records, tapes and other gems that he's been showing me and my friends for years. There are other record stores near the area too that stock all tons of obscure metal. So I'd listen to the exact same stuff, just at a slower rate since I'd have to buy it all. A lot of really odd stuff I like now I'd probably acquire via tape trading which I'm sure I'd be into in this hypothetical pre-internet world. So, no difference. Just find bands more slowly.

Nick_to_the_face
03-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Honestly, a decent amount of the same stuff I listen to now. I'm sure the musical evolution wouldn't have been as fast or as big, but I got into metal on my own, and my biggest step into the primary subgenres I listen to now came through actual friends, not the internet. When I was just starting to get into lesser-known bands (Stratovarius, Edguy, etc), I began hanging around this local record shop with some older friends, who ended up turning me on to a lot of other bands, and it just grew from there.

This.
For the most part I got most of my stuff from my own listening or from my friends. Granted there are a few bands I wouldn't know about if it wasn't for the internet webz, but for the most part. I AM MY OWN PERSON :lol:

treghet
03-20-2011, 01:14 AM
This.
For the most part I got most of my stuff from my own listening or from my friends. Granted there are a few bands I wouldn't know about if it wasn't for the internet webz, but for the most part. I AM MY OWN PERSON :lol:

But your friends could have found out about those bands from the internet. :tongue:

I don't think my tastes would be that much different, but I don't think I would know as many underground bands. It'd just take a lot more time for me to discover and get a hold of some stuff. I really think people would be lost without the ability to download everything though. Of course, there was tape trading and everything, but now it seems like a lot of people feel entitled to be able to have music in seconds, instead of a couple decades ago where you had to wait and actually spend your money when an album came out.

treghet
03-20-2011, 01:15 AM
This.

But your friends could have found out about those bands from the internet. :tongue:

I don't think my tastes would be that much different, but wouldn't know as many underground bands. It'd just take a lot more time for me to discover and get a hold of some stuff. I really think people would be lost without the ability to download everything though. Of course, there was tape trading and such, but now it seems like a lot of people feel entitled to be able to have music in seconds, instead of a couple decades ago where you had to wait and actually spend your money when an album came out.

ravenheart
03-20-2011, 04:01 AM
Probably more or less what I listen to now, but perhaps less of it. Not because I'd be aware of less of it, but because a). less of it would exist because it wouldn't be so easy for bands to start up as it is now, b). it wouldn't be so easy to get CDs cheap, and c). it would be a lot harder to find out about the real underground/unsigned/little known bands.

But I'm old enough that I'd started down the rock/metal route long before I was on the internet.

ShatteredFlame
03-20-2011, 04:47 AM
Pop, Rap, Rock

Metal would be whatever I discovered after Slipknot, Rise Against, Silverstein, Linkin Park, Illl Nino, Disturbed, Demon Hunter, Red etc.

mastodon421
03-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Elevator Music.

brutal_descent
03-20-2011, 06:54 AM
French bossa nova/lounge.

slapguitarer
03-20-2011, 11:18 AM
French bossa nova/lounge.

Good stuff.

evildeadjedi
03-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Most of the same stuff but, less underground. My parents got me started with classic rock like Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Blue Cheer, Hank Williams Jr/Sr, Johnny Cash, Aerosmith,The Beatles, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers, Blue Oyster Cult, Kiss, etc. My sister got me into the early 90's rock/metal (Alice in Chains, Faith No More, Pantera, Danzig, Clutch, White Zombie, Ministry, etc) and old school hip hop/rap. A buddy of mines sister got me into Iron Maiden, Slayer, Sepultura, Venom, Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones, etc.

brutal_descent
03-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Good stuff.

Ever heard Nouvelle Vague? Good shit.

slapguitarer
03-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Ever heard Nouvelle Vague? Good shit.

No, I haven't.

I don't ever really listen to Bossa, but my music teacher was playing some, and I liked it. I'll check out Nouvelle Vague.

brutal_descent
03-20-2011, 02:18 PM
No, I haven't.

I don't ever really listen to Bossa, but my music teacher was playing some, and I liked it. I'll check out Nouvelle Vague.

They do lounge covers of punk/new-wave/post-rock/vegancore sludge.

illuminatus917
03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
They do lounge covers of punk/new-wave/post-rock/vegancore sludge.

:wtf:

DethMaiden
03-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Iron Maiden, for one. Otherwise, I have no clue.

I got into them in '03 and immediately got online to find out what else people who liked Iron Maiden liked, and the Internet is mainly what's responsible for the path I traveled down from that point on.

ravenheart
03-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Iron Maiden, for one. Otherwise, I have no clue.

I got into them in '03 and immediately got online to find out what else people who liked Iron Maiden liked, and the Internet is mainly what's responsible for the path I traveled down from that point on.

Ah, youth ;)

brutal_descent
03-21-2011, 02:55 AM
:wtf:

;)

Natrlhi
03-21-2011, 04:57 AM
I was listening to metal 13 years before I ever first got on to the internet, so Metal.

Probably more or less what I listen to now, but perhaps less of it. Not because I'd be aware of less of it, but because a). less of it would exist because it wouldn't be so easy for bands to start up as it is now, b). it wouldn't be so easy to get CDs cheap, and c). it would be a lot harder to find out about the real underground/unsigned/little known bands.

But I'm old enough that I'd started down the rock/metal route long before I was on the internet.These.

Sanitarium78
03-21-2011, 08:10 AM
I would still be listening to metal and rock like i've been my whole life. There may have been a handful of bands I wouldn't have found out about as fast but other than that it wouldn't be a huge change at all.

I remember some 20 years ago after getting my allowance and money from my paper route I would go the one of the local record stores (yeah they did exist:D) and spend an hour or two in there just looking through everything and trying to decide what to buy. I honestly prefer that way as opposed to listening and hunting stuff down on the internet.

The internet makes it more convienent and cheaper with downloads and everything but believe it or not, and this may come as a shock to some of you, music was recorded and made available for everyone before 1995.