PDA

View Full Version : What is that sound?

ChildrenofSodom
03-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I've been trying to identify that certain sound in a lot of "deathcore" that annoys me, but I can never find a studio version of a song that has it. Well, I found one. Born of Osiris - Open Arms to Damnation. What is that "boing" sound at the beginning? I don't know anything about guitar tuning, so it may be that, but does anyone else hear it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvVJ1lfwQ7w&feature=bf_next&list=QL&index=2

makethemsuffer12
03-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Boing? You mean in the guitar riff? The only thing I could think of are the slight bends that they play.

ChildrenofSodom
03-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Boing? You mean in the guitar riff? The only thing I could think of are the slight bends that they play.

Yeah, I think its the guitar. Why does it sound like that? Its what people are always calling "brutal". Is it tuned down a lot?

mankvill
03-11-2011, 02:37 PM
DJENT

makethemsuffer12
03-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I think its the guitar. Why does it sound like that? Its what people are always calling "brutal". Is it tuned down a lot?

I believe Born Of Osiris tune to Drop C, which is typical of a lot of metalcore bands (AILD, KSE, Shadows Fall, etc.). But what you're referring to are the bends in the riff, which means the play a note and bend the string ever so slightly to get a raise in pitch and in this case achieve that "boooooing" sound.

ChildrenofSodom
03-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Whatever it is, it annoyed the hell out of me when I saw After the Burial and Winds of Plague. I think it makes the guitar sound terrible, and when the music is chug based, you've lost me as a listener. AILD, KSE, and Shadows Fall have riffs, at least.

Thanks for the input guys.

mankvill
03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
That sound and the electronic "BOOOOOOOOOM" sound to start off breakdowns are the two things I hate the most about deathcore.

HandOfDoom
03-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I think it might have something to do with the the way the guitars are harmonizing, kinda annoying imo

MPF
03-11-2011, 06:31 PM
the electronic "BOOOOOOOOOM" sound to start off breakdowns are the two things I hate the most about deathcore.

Strapping Young Lad used it a lot too....

....Just sayin'.

Nick_to_the_face
03-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Still not sure what he is talking about.

makethemsuffer12
03-11-2011, 08:28 PM

....Just sayin'.
Yup yup yup. I love me some bass drops (I'm a Chimaira fan), but only when used well.

mankvill
03-11-2011, 09:23 PM

....Just sayin'.

Don't listen to SYL, but I probably wouldn't like it there either

ChildrenofSodom
03-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Strapping Young Lad use it before they actually play some semi-complex music. Deathcore uses it to lead into chug-chug breakdowns.

ChildrenofSodom
03-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Its also in this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg2GTrgQsXE&feature=related

treghet
03-11-2011, 11:53 PM
That sound and the electronic "BOOOOOOOOOM" sound to start off breakdowns are the two things I hate the most about deathcore.

Thank you for bringing this up. That's one thing that drives me insane when seeing a deathcore band live. Carnifex does it about three times per a song...

The Colonel
03-12-2011, 12:11 AM
All I know is that the two bands that were linked in this thread were two of the worst pieces of shit I've ever heard.