PDA

View Full Version : Temptations in the form of flashing lights and glowsticks

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 05:40 AM
I've recently noticed something - all my friends who considered themselves complete 'metalheads' (I'm talking about people who ONLY listen to metal according to them, not casual listeners) have been going through trance/dupstep/house phases.

Subject #1: Went from being obsessed with power/thrash to trance. Spent around a month going to various trance gigs (Infected Mushroom, Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk and more) and looking like a complete tool. Now claims it never happened :D

Subject #2: Went from being obsessed with Megadave and Whiplash to dubstep. Seeing that he's British, I understand this (all British people, metalheads or not, tend to go through dubstep phases. No offence, ravenheart :lol:), but I was unnerved when he started going to raves. I had been to raves before and it's creepy as shit. As a result of his new hobby, he experimented with ecstasy a bit and then I staged an intervention - not for the ecstasy, but for the dubstep - to somehow justify listening to dubstep, he started listening to Attack Attack!, claiming it was a "-healthy mix of metal (sic) and dupstep." He is now a healthy young man, now again ranting about those obscene prices for Sonisphere UK. ;)

Subject #3: Went from being obsessed with Dream Theater, Municipal Waste, the Big Four, Avenged Sevenfold :tp:, and Slipknot to... house?! Yes, the guitars of Marty Friedman & Co. gave way to Benny Benassi and David Guetta. He, unlike the other two, has not yet recovered. He clubs frequently with his two 'metalhead' friends (one of them likes Meshuggah and BDM so all is forgiven :lol:) and yet somehow continues to give the impression to the rest of my friends that he's as brootal as they get. :hmm:

Also - wanted to put it out there that my Devin Townsend Project concert here in April got cancelled. :bouville:

ravenheart
03-08-2011, 05:48 AM
all British people, metalheads or not, tend to go through dubstep phases. No offence, ravenheart :lol:

:lol: Fortunately that's not true.

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 05:49 AM
:lol: Fortunately that's not true.

Every Brit I have for a friend has gone through a dubstep phase. :eyes:

I hope for your country's sake it's not true. Even Russia doesn't have a dubstep problem.

ravenheart
03-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Every Brit I have for a friend has gone through a dubstep phase. :eyes:

Maybe it's you ;)

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 05:56 AM
Maybe it's you ;)

Are you implying I'm going through a dubstep phase myself and that my subconscious is telling me it's my British friends? :lol: I hope not, my good chap.

ravenheart
03-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Are you implying I'm going through a dubstep phase myself and that my subconscious is telling me it's my British friends? :lol: I hope not, my good chap.

No, I'm implying it's only a phenomenon affecting British people who are friends with you, and you are driving them to dubstep ;)

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 06:09 AM
No, I'm implying it's only a phenomenon affecting British people who are friends with you, and you are driving them to dubstep ;)

STFU OR I'LL SPILL YOUR TEA ALL OVER YOU AND CHOKE YOU WITH BISCUITS

That is all.

DethMaiden
03-08-2011, 08:09 AM
In before vodka-and-potatoes-based comeback.

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 08:27 AM

OH GOD THEY'RE ALL AGAINST ME

YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE

Derelict
03-08-2011, 08:42 AM

eating vodka and potatoes in russia was one of the highlights of my life - i take this as a personal insult

DethMaiden
03-08-2011, 09:01 AM
eating vodka and potatoes in russia was one of the highlights of my life - i take this as a personal insult

I'm not knocking it. Sounds way more fun than tea and biscuits, anyway. ;)

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Thank you for support, my friend. :D

But on a side note, you don't eat vodka.

Not even we do that kind of shit. :lol:

Derelict
03-08-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm not knocking it. Sounds way more fun than tea and biscuits, anyway. ;)

Yeah i know, just busting balls

Derelict
03-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Thank you for support, my friend. :D

But on a side note, you don't eat vodka.

Not even we do that kind of shit. :lol:

Hm, good point

larvtard
03-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I've recently noticed something - all my friends who considered themselves complete 'metalheads' (I'm talking about people who ONLY listen to metal according to them, not casual listeners) have been going through trance/dupstep/house phases.

Subject #1: Went from being obsessed with power/thrash to trance. Spent around a month going to various trance gigs (Infected Mushroom, Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk and more) and looking like a complete tool. Now claims it never happened :D

Subject #2: Went from being obsessed with Megadave and Whiplash to dubstep. Seeing that he's British, I understand this (all British people, metalheads or not, tend to go through dubstep phases. No offence, ravenheart :lol:), but I was unnerved when he started going to raves. I had been to raves before and it's creepy as shit. As a result of his new hobby, he experimented with ecstasy a bit and then I staged an intervention - not for the ecstasy, but for the dubstep - to somehow justify listening to dubstep, he started listening to Attack Attack!, claiming it was a "-healthy mix of metal (sic) and dupstep." He is now a healthy young man, now again ranting about those obscene prices for Sonisphere UK. ;)

Subject #3: Went from being obsessed with Dream Theater, Municipal Waste, the Big Four, Avenged Sevenfold :tp:, and Slipknot to... house?! Yes, the guitars of Marty Friedman & Co. gave way to Benny Benassi and David Guetta. He, unlike the other two, has not yet recovered. He clubs frequently with his two 'metalhead' friends (one of them likes Meshuggah and BDM so all is forgiven :lol:) and yet somehow continues to give the impression to the rest of my friends that he's as brootal as they get. :hmm:

Also - wanted to put it out there that my Devin Townsend Project concert here in April got cancelled. :bouville:

well, my friend in question here was probably somewhere between a casual listener and a full-blown metalhead; he was pretty passionate about the music, but he prided himself on the fact that he listened to everything (which was somewhat true) and he definitely didn't dress/act like a normal metalhead would.

But then last year he pretty much stopped listening o metal altogether. We would never talk about it anymore at school and whenever I brought it up, he would immediately change the conversation, as if he didn't give a shit.

So then I noticed he had started listening to dubstep pretty heavily. Every other weekend he's been going to a dubstep show/rave. In fact, my other good friend is going through an electronic phase as well. Fortunately, he still listens to a lot of metal, and doesn't really listen to dubstep.

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
well, my friend in question here was probably somewhere between a casual listener and a full-blown metalhead; he was pretty passionate about the music, but he prided himself on the fact that he listened to everything (which was somewhat true) and he definitely didn't dress/act like a normal metalhead would.

But then last year he pretty much stopped listening o metal altogether. We would never talk about it anymore at school and whenever I brought it up, he would immediately change the conversation, as if he didn't give a shit.

So then I noticed he had started listening to dubstep pretty heavily. Every other weekend he's been going to a dubstep show/rave. In fact, my other good friend is going through an electronic phase as well. Fortunately, he still listens to a lot of metal, and doesn't really listen to dubstep.

Call bullshit on my game as much as you want, but I am a full-blown everything-head. :D

TonyD
03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
99% of this music is for tools

mankvill
03-08-2011, 11:35 AM
None of my metalhead friends listen to it, but there's way too many of my douchebag/frat boy friends that LOVE dubstep. If I wanted to listen to shitty beats with a table saw going on in the background, I'd go to wood shop class with my iMac.

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 12:08 PM
None of my metalhead friends listen to it, but there's way too many of my douchebag/frat boy friends that LOVE dubstep. If I wanted to listen to shitty beats with a table saw going on in the background, I'd go to wood shop class with my iMac.

Implying that your iMac is full of shitty beats. :D

smearCampaign
03-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Metal and Electronic are the two primary genres I listen to and it's been that way since I was in middle school. Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, The Crystal Method have all been in as much rotation in my listening as much as Metallica, Slayer and Sepultura since '97 when I was 14. I go to both electronic and metal shows, although nowadays electronic festivals are much more appealing than club shows. I also really like the electronic groups that incorporate a live element to their performances (EOTO being a great example of live, improvised dubstep). I will definitely agree that dubstep attracts a super douchey crowd, but then again I feel like that at alot of metal shows as well. There is also a ton of dubstep that is absolute garbage.

I just got my tickets for Nocturnal: Texas actually. STS9, Bassnectar, Crystal Castles, Big Gigantic, Beats Antique, ESKMO, Infected Mushroom, Ghostland Observatory, Pendulum, Excision, Tipper and more!

Oh yeah, I also wanted to say that all those crunk-core bands or whatever you call it are a joke. I like electronic and I like metal, but they don't need to mix. (not in that way)

Maiden33
03-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't have the slightest clue what the hell "Dubstep" is?

Wizzbang11
03-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Dubstep is fucking trash. I listen to noise/PE/blur stuff and I can't even handle how stupid the music is. Honestly, it is a cancer to music. Everyone here is obsessed with it too.
I've noticed all the scene kids are now into it, so I think it has less to do with metalheads liking it as it does with trendy doucehabgs who move on to the next big thing every year or two, and now it's dubstep.

Jeff, dubstep is like a slow techno with annoying "filthy" basslines(noise) thrown in sporadically, slower beats and a sampling of random other noises or samples. Often times they remix other songs and make them shittier by adding reggae beats. Also, it's done almost exclusivley on computer programs like Reason, so dubstep raves are fronted by a guy on a mac.

smearCampaign
03-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Also, it's done almost exclusivley on computer programs like Reason, so dubstep raves are fronted by a guy on a mac.

I've seen a lot of dubstep groups that use live instrumentation in their shows. (EOTO, Pretty Lights, Break Science, Signal Path, Zilla, etc.) There is just as much bad dubstep as there is bad metal.... now good dubstep... thats few and far between.

El Gordo
03-08-2011, 05:25 PM
This isn't the first I've heard of this phenomenon. I've seen it first hand actually, and this guy was the vocalist in my band. He was a little fucked in the head to begin with but he was also one of the most rabid metal fans I've ever encountered. Then, a little while after we had kicked him out of the band for missing too many practices, showing up late for gigs and doing other lead vocalist-y things, he announced to his friends that he was selling all his metal CDs. Even his Meshuggah discs, which at one time were complete untouchables. He started listening to all kinds of electronic music and going to clubs. He chopped his hair off. A few years later, we had lost complete contact but I ran into him when he was working the counter at a local gas station. He asked me to remove any mention of him from the band's website, even though the band had long since disbanded and the website probably hasn't been updated since... 2003? It was like he was never a metalhead, and was clearly embarrassed by it.

I've seen it happen in other cases, but this was the most extreme.

BloodoftheKings
03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I despise dubstep and think it's probably the lowest form of music. I think i'd rather listen to Bring Me The Horizon's entire discography then 10 minutes of dubstep. Dubstep fans are douchey stoners who think they're the shit. Recently i've noticed people who aren't stoners listening to dubstep because I guess it's the new hip thing and you have to listen to dubstep if you wanna be cool. Dubstep is just another stupid trend that will probably be dead by next year.

ShatteredFlame
03-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I listen to a lot of electronic stuff but I never really liked dubstep in general. Burial is fucking amazing but everything else I've listened to has been a miss for me. In general, I don't consider myself a metalhead. I do listen to a ton of different types of metal but I also listen to a ton of everything else. I won't stop listening to one, I think there is great stuff in all genres. I also don't mind when people treat music as trends, because honestly it will never affect my taste in music. I already listen to weird shit nobody would bother listen to, no use hating on others for their choice in music.

Then awesome shit like this exist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g85LqKXIgvY

Dextrimental
03-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I listen to a lot of electronic stuff but I never really liked dubstep in general. Burial is fucking amazing but everything else I've listened to has been a miss for me. In general, I don't consider myself a metalhead. I do listen to a ton of different types of metal but I also listen to a ton of everything else. I won't stop listening to one, I think there is great stuff in all genres. I also don't mind when people treat music as trends, because honestly it will never affect my taste in music. I already listen to weird shit nobody would bother listen to, no use hating on others for their choice in music.

Then awesome shit like this exist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g85LqKXIgvY

100% agree. Also, glad to see another Igorr fan on the planet! :D

mankvill
03-08-2011, 08:41 PM
What's weird, is that I know dubstep is 99% of the time stupid bullshit like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRftXCiqfQ8)

But I've also heard this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOT2-OTebx0) described as being part dubstep.

i dunno man

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 08:53 PM
I despise dubstep and think it's probably the lowest form of music. I think i'd rather listen to Bring Me The Horizon's entire discography then 10 minutes of dubstep. Dubstep fans are douchey stoners who think they're the shit. Recently i've noticed people who aren't stoners listening to dubstep because I guess it's the new hip thing and you have to listen to dubstep if you wanna be cool. Dubstep is just another stupid trend that will probably be dead by next year.

I hope you realize that BMTH has two dubstep remix albums. :lol:

treghet
03-08-2011, 08:56 PM

I was going to mention that too, but I didn't know what the remixes were. Also, Suicide Silence has a remix of "Genocide", done by Big Chocolate.

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I was going to mention that too, but I didn't know what the remixes were. Also, Suicide Silence has a remix of "Genocide", done by Big Chocolate.

Isn't he on Warped Tour this year? :hmm:

treghet
03-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Isn't he on Warped Tour this year? :hmm:

Yes. I can't stand his electronic music, but he's a really nice guy.

brutal_descent
03-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Yes. I can't stand his electronic music, but he's a really nice guy.

BIG CHOCOLATE IS A PRETTY COOL GUY AND DOESNT AFRAID OF ANYTHING

BloodoftheKings
03-09-2011, 12:00 PM

I'll be sure to avoid it.

bt11763
03-09-2011, 03:28 PM
yeah i had a friend like this. i actually like some dubstep, i think it's pretty interesting. i hate the people and the scene though

ShatteredFlame
03-09-2011, 03:54 PM
100% agree. Also, glad to see another Igorr fan on the planet! :D

:fist: More people on this site should listen to Igorrr. Breakcore with heavy as fuck death metal riffs, some powerviolence styled grindcore moments, trip-hop moments, and even some classical baroque styled moments. One of the craziest bands I've ever heard, and the album last year was one of my favorites of the year.

ravenheart
03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't have the slightest clue what the hell "Dubstep" is?

It's yet another made-up sub-genre created by people who think what they listen to is innovative and not a tedious derivative.

jhdeity
03-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Good music is good music. I see anal people on here giving people shit for saying something is -core or not that -core then bashing Djent or Dubstep because it doesn't have the term metal or core in the genre. How retarded is that?

I'm not a fan of much electronic music but i've heard songs from Atmosphere and some other actual bands that is pretty clever and cool. Some of the stuff is borderline Industrial with crazy bass lines.

I know Bassnectar remixed some Slayer, Hatebreed & Deftones tunes and it sounded fresh and even better in some cases.

To me it's all relative. You can't live your life locked in your room listening to Cannibal Corpse all day. If I'm out seeing a band and the DJ is playing a cool Bassnectar remix it's usually a cool thing.

ravenheart
03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Good music is good music. I see anal people on here giving people shit for saying something is -core or not that -core then bashing Djent or Dubstep because it doesn't have the term metal or core in the genre. How retarded is that?

I'm not a fan of much electronic music but i've heard songs from Atmosphere and some other actual bands that is pretty clever and cool. Some of the stuff is borderline Industrial with crazy bass lines.

I know Bassnectar remixed some Slayer, Hatebreed & Deftones tunes and it sounded fresh and even better in some cases.

To me it's all relative. You can't live your life locked in your room listening to Cannibal Corpse all day. If I'm out seeing a band and the DJ is playing a cool Bassnectar remix it's usually a cool thing.

All fair enough. But that doesn't excuse making up sub-genres. That goes for you too, metal fans.

ShatteredFlame
03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
All fair enough. But that doesn't excuse making up sub-genres. That goes for you too, metal fans.

Why not? Even if it's in the same genre, the style could be completely different to stand on it's own. Like in hardcore, there are tons of scenes all over the world, all with very different takes on the genre. Take d-beat for example. Not all hardcore is going to have that d-beat sound, yet hundreds of bands play in that style. The sub genre makes sense. I wouldn't compare a band like Wolfbrigade to a band like Citizens Arrest. Even though they are both hardcore, they play in completely different styles.

ravenheart
03-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Why not? Even if it's in the same genre, the style could be completely different to stand on it's own. Like in hardcore, there are tons of scenes all over the world, all with very different takes on the genre. Take d-beat for example. Not all hardcore is going to have that d-beat sound, yet hundreds of bands play in that style. The sub genre makes sense. I wouldn't compare a band like Wolfbrigade to a band like Citizens Arrest. Even though they are both hardcore, they play in completely different styles.

But not every different style requires a sub-genre. Otherwise every time a band did something different they'd create a one-band sub-genre.

Sub-genres are a justifiable concept. Not all sub-genres are justifiable. Take doom metal; by far my favourite sub-genre of metal. It's perfectly reasonable for it to exist because it stands on its own as markedly different to other types of metal. But it doesn't need sub-dividing further. People want to claim there's Funeral Doom, Death Doom, Epic Doom, Stoner Doom etc. All bullshit. Especially those last two. Mixing two distinct sub-genres absolutely doesn't create a new one. Death/Doom, fine. Death Doom, no. Subtly different in writing, massively different in meaning.

It's perfectly acceptable to play different styles within the same genre and not need a name for it. People need to stop making shit up when what they're doing really isn't all that innovative, is all I'm saying.

IrritatedTrout
03-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm really glad I don't know what dubstep is.:hecho:

DethMaiden
03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
But not every different style requires a sub-genre. Otherwise every time a band did something different they'd create a one-band sub-genre.

Sub-genres are a justifiable concept. Not all sub-genres are justifiable. Take doom metal, by far my favourite sub-genre of metal. Perfectly reasonable for it to exist. But it doesn't need sub-dividing further. Funeral Doom, Death Doom, Epic Doom, Stoner Doom etc. All bullshit. It's just doom.

It's perfectly acceptable to play different styles within the same genre and not need a name for it. People need to stop making shit up when what they're doing really isn't all that innovative, is all I'm saying.

Doom does need subgenres, I'm just not entirely sure we've stumbled on the right ones. The fact that people call Sleep the same thing that they call My Dying Bride is a pretty glaring problem in nomenclature.

ravenheart
03-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Doom does need subgenres, I'm just not entirely sure we've stumbled on the right ones. The fact that people call Sleep the same thing that they call My Dying Bride is a pretty glaring problem in nomenclature.

That's fine by me. Different sounds can exist in a sub-genre. They don't need different names.

You could very well say Sleep are stoner/doom. That's not to say they're in a different sub-division, it just says they're a mixture of stoner metal and doom metal, which is precisely what they are.

You don't mix two elements and get a new element. You get a mixture.

mankvill
03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I am extremely for death/doom and MAYBE stoner doom. Not funeral or epic, though.

ravenheart
03-09-2011, 05:28 PM
I am extremely for death/doom and MAYBE stoner doom. Not funeral or epic, though.

Death/doom, yes. Death doom, no. Big difference.

And yeah, epic doom is really fucking silly. Especially as people now say Candlemass are epic doom. At the time they were just doom. Since when did Candlemass change their style?

ShatteredFlame
03-09-2011, 05:34 PM

Sub-genres are a justifiable concept. Not all sub-genres are justifiable. Take doom metal; by far my favourite sub-genre of metal. It's perfectly reasonable for it to exist because it stands on its own as markedly different to other types of metal. But it doesn't need sub-dividing further. People want to claim there's Funeral Doom, Death Doom, Epic Doom, Stoner Doom etc. All bullshit. Especially those last two. Mixing two distinct sub-genres absolutely doesn't create a new one. Death/Doom, fine. Death Doom, no. Subtly different in writing, massively different in meaning.

I see what you're saying. Though I personally support sub-genres. To me they just help to describe what style of music the bands are going for, every single genre is complex, I find it necessary to break it down. I don't think I have found a sub-genre that I have found unnecessary, but that's just me.

DethMaiden
03-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I see what you're saying. Though I personally support sub-genres. To me they just help to describe what style of music the bands are going for, every single genre is complex, I find it necessary to break it down. I don't think I have found a sub-genre that I have found unnecessary, but that's just me.

I more or less agree with this. Subgenres are a convenient shorthand for what something basically sounds like without having to name-drop bands directly.

Maiden33
03-09-2011, 05:52 PM
I feel this way about subgenres:

It's fine if you wanna use a really long, complex description when trying to promote a specific band to someone. It's very important to be able to have people know what they sound like. But try to keep it reasonable. Some of the stuff out there is retarded and pointless. And it's also very different to just use the long subgenre names to describe a band - as opposed to actually thinking of all music in terms of these insane subgenres. Pretty much all metal is either some form of Traditional (or "Classic"), Progressive, Power, Thrash, Death, Black, or Doom. If you wanna combine any of those - go right ahead. But if you're talking about the wide-spread amazing genre of "Epic Progressive Power Death-Thrash with Blackened Symphonic Elements" - shut the hell up.

mankvill
03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Putting a location for your subgenre is real dumb, like "Gothenburg" or "Bay Area".

larvtard
03-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Putting a location for your subgenre is real dumb, like "Gothenburg" or "Bay Area".

Yeah, especially with Swedish Death Metal and Florida Death Metal. Those two scenes really do sound the same.

ShatteredFlame
03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Yeah, especially with Swedish Death Metal and Florida Death Metal. Those two scenes really do sound the same.

:lol: and this is exactly how sub-genres start

Derelict
03-09-2011, 08:09 PM
What's weird, is that I know dubstep is 99% of the time stupid bullshit like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRftXCiqfQ8)

holy shit thats bad.

digging Igorrr though.... :eyes:

Maiden33
03-09-2011, 08:15 PM

I want the time back I spent listening to some of that. God damn it, what is the purpose in this shit even existing?

TonyD
03-09-2011, 08:55 PM
It was my understanding that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8b_j2ntvII)is dubstep. Metal muggles argue about genres too.

SomewhereInTime72
03-09-2011, 11:49 PM
I don't get this thread.

TonyD
03-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah it's going in a bunch of directions

jhdeity
03-10-2011, 06:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEkbaVeYgWA&tracker=False

This was my 1st exposure to Bassnectar or a dubstep beat and I can honestly say that sound at 3:00 is heavier than a lot of things I hear people raving about. That sound hit me like a right cross and hearing it at a club made everyone stop what they were doing and listen.

I get dubstep and some of the dub metal mixes more than I get a lot of post rock stuff. To each his own...

ShatteredFlame
03-10-2011, 01:25 PM
digging Igorrr though.... :eyes:

Why they eyes? Igorrr is incredible and his other project Whourkr is just hatred filled awesomeness. Real messed up stuff.