PDA

View Full Version : Agalloch -- Pomona, CA -- March 5th, 2011

Dominicus 1988
03-06-2011, 01:09 AM
I went to the Scion Rock Fest for Agalloch and they absolutely did not disappoint. I have been looking at their various setlists the past few shows and they never seemed to play one of the greatest songs ever made, Falling Snow. I went in not expecting to hear it and by diving intervention from the metal gods they played it. I cant even begin to explain how amazing this feels, just absolute bliss. With that said this short set was so sweet!

1. Into The Painted Grey :rocker:
2. FALLING SNOW :D:D
3. The Watchers Monolith
4. Our Fortress is Burning, Pt. 2: Bloodbirds

Not sure on the last 1 or 2 songs. I was a little buzzed and was coming off the absolute euphoric feeling of watching one of my favorite songs ever performed.

petrovar
03-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Glad you posted an Agalloch set. When they come to Cleveland, it is the same night as the Helmet/Crowbar/Vitus tour so I'm going to miss them. I'm glad I am at least seeing what they may play

slapguitarer
03-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Lucky. Falling Snow is one of my favorites.

bt11763
03-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Glad you posted an Agalloch set. When they come to Cleveland, it is the same night as the Helmet/Crowbar/Vitus tour so I'm going to miss them. I'm glad I am at least seeing what they may play

yeah luckily i'll be able to get both

shane
03-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Nice to see they played Falling Snow. I'm hoping they play it when i see them headline on the 20th.

illninoese
03-14-2011, 06:19 PM
So most of these shows are 21+UP and I'm 20 years old so I'm kinda fucked over right now and pretty pissed. Does anyone know if The Earl in Atlanta, GA is strict about making sure your 21? I can't miss this show

larvtard
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
So most of these shows are 21+UP and I'm 20 years old so I'm kinda fucked over right now and pretty pissed. Does anyone know if The Earl in Atlanta, GA is strict about making sure your 21? I can't miss this show

yeah man, they are :bouville: Trust me, I'm pissed about it as well.
Maybe get a fake? I know, everybody always immediately throws that solution out, but you're only 1 year away. If you don't look younger than your age I'd say you should try it. Yeah, fakes are expensive, but if you say you can't miss this show...
I'm only 18, and I look around 16-17, so it definitely wouldn't work for me...

Dominicus 1988
03-14-2011, 08:23 PM
If there is a chance they play Falling Snow I dont think you can miss it. That song live is truly something else:D

Maideneer
03-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Looks like the NYC show is sold out and I don't have a ticket yet. Hmmm, wondering if I should still go and if I really care if I miss it.

insidethefall
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Seems to be too heavy on the last two albums - I don't dislike any of Agalloch's stuff but my favs are the mantle and pale folklore and least fav is Ashes, who knows maybe they'll tweak the setlist for the east coast dates

illuminatus917
03-16-2011, 05:01 PM

This is why I'm going up to Cleveland. The 21+ is costing me an extra 2-3 hours of driving.

idrinkwine732
03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
my least fav is Ashes,
new enemy

illuminatus917
03-16-2011, 07:16 PM
new enemy

Yeah, can't say I understand the reasoning there...

insidethefall
03-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Yeah, can't say I understand the reasoning there...

Folk metal>post rock, although I'll admit ashes is stellar minus the drums

idrinkwine732
03-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Folk metal>post rock

Not only do I disagree with that statement, I disagree that any agalloch album has been folk metal or post-rock.

insidethefall
03-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Not only do I disagree with that statement, I disagree that any agalloch album has been folk metal or post-rock.

C'mon I mean even Agalloch themselves have admitted the heavy influence of post-rock on Ashes and their earlier stuff, especially the Mantle, is heavy on the folk aesthetic (i.e. a variety of folk instruments were used), hence the term Folk Metal.

idrinkwine732
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
C'mon I mean even Agalloch themselves have admitted the heavy influence of post-rock on Ashes and their earlier stuff, especially the Mantle, is heavy on the folk aesthetic (i.e. a variety of folk instruments were used), hence the term Folk Metal.

Sure, but just because influences exist doesn't make it so. For instance, Behemoth has a black metal influence yet is not black metal in the least. Same logic applies. I don't think Agalloch really sound like post-rock or folk metal.

christopher
03-21-2011, 06:39 PM
This is why I'm going up to Cleveland. The 21+ is costing me an extra 2-3 hours of driving.

Oh shit! On a side note, you're going to Merlefest??? Lucky bastard, I want nothing more in life than to see Doc Watson perform, but he never comes to LA:mad:

insidethefall
03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Sure, but just because influences exist doesn't make it so. For instance, Behemoth has a black metal influence yet is not black metal in the least. Same logic applies. I don't think Agalloch really sound like post-rock or folk metal.

Behemoth WERE a black metal band, then a hybrid of death/black then pure death metal but that's beside the point. I'm not saying that Agalloch are any particular style, to me they are just Agalloch but I must say when they experiment with a musical style, they tend to really embrace it. If I were to label PF I would say folk/atmospheric metal, The Mantle, I would say Folk Metal, Ashes - Post Metal, Marrow Black/Dark/Atmospheric Metal. I like to lump things into categories, probably because I was in library school for so long.

moobys37
03-23-2011, 08:23 PM

If what John told me they were considering for their next project comes true, well, you'll see...

illuminatus917
03-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Oh shit! On a side note, you're going to Merlefest??? Lucky bastard, I want nothing more in life than to see Doc Watson perform, but he never comes to LA:mad:

Yeah, It's amazing every year. I've been every year since 2002, and I went to a few before that. Doc Watson is great.

Honestly, it's the greatest festival I've ever been to. The atmosphere of it, especially the Watson stage, is just unbelievable.

This year we get The Doobie Brothers and Robert Plant. :party: