PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth (again)

ravenheart
03-02-2011, 12:33 PM
In his heartfelt statement, Barlow cites his commitment to his family and the need for ICED EARTH to tour more as the reasons for his retirement; however, he has committed to perform with ICED EARTH on all 2011 European festival dates, which will be his last with the band.

Matt Barlow's official statement is as follows:

"Brothers and sisters,

"Let me begin by saying how much of an honor it has been to share my time in ICED EARTH with Jon and the guys…and with all of you! Since my return to the band in 2007, it has truly been extraordinary. I have had the opportunity to travel the world and see old friends and meet new ones. Though we had originally thought that the ICED EARTH touring schedule would be very limited, we were able to play our fair share of concerts.

"During that time we were also able to have a live DVD produced [the forthcoming 'Festivals Of The Wicked']. However, due to the rapidly changing music industry, it has become increasingly clear to recording artists that the only way to keep a band viable and to truly reach its potential is through live performances. That means that a band must reach out to new regions of the globe and become pioneers for their own livelihood. Since 2007, Jon and I have always had the best intentions for the future of ICED EARTH, and we still do. However, given the band's projected touring schedule, ICED EARTH's future and mine must now take separate paths.

"On my departure from ICED EARTH in 2003, I made a commitment to my wife and to the idea that we would start, and raise, our family together. Two years later, my first child was born and two years after that, my second. My youngest son was born about a week before Jon asked me to return to ICED EARTH. It was a very exciting and emotional time for all of us, but we were all clear on our intentions. It is apparent to us now that regardless of our belief at that time, time can change an intended outcome. In this instance, I hope that change will not be regarded as a bad thing, but rather as a necessary part of evolution.

"Jon and the band must venture into new realms to continue to grow ICED EARTH. I commend him for his ideals and wish nothing but to share in his vision. I know that this is not the last time Jon and I will work together, but it will be my last endeavor with ICED EARTH. ICED EARTH is a name and force of its own. It has been very good to me and has allowed me to live a dream that others would give most anything for. I have been truly blessed to share this experience with everyone. I will continue to support Jon and ICED EARTH in every way. I will also continue to create and perform in my own capacity.

"These next months will prove to be a very emotional time for me. I am extremely happy to be able to share the experience with Jon, Brent, Freddie, Troy and the ICED EARTH family. I am proud to know them and honored that they consider me their friend. It is going to be phenomenal to share the love of this music during several summer festivals and I know that it will be a time we will never forget.

"Please consider all that I have brought forth and all of Jon's offerings before passing judgment on the future of ICED EARTH. This band has always strived to give its listeners the very best and I know that Jon, as always, will continue to lead that charge.

"To ICED EARTH and all of you…I wish you the very best!!!"

Band founder and leader Jon Schaffer reacted to his friend's decision with
equal parts sadness and praise.

"I knew Matt wrestled with this for a long, long time," said Schaffer. "It wasn't an easy decision for him. But I love him dearly and I can't fault his reasons."

Schaffer continued: "Matt is one of the most sincere people I know, and one of the most talented. His departure deeply saddens me, but I hope all fans of ICED EARTH will cut him some slack. I wish Matt well, respect him greatly, and I ask everyone else to do the same."

With a new album in the works, and a world tour pending, Schaffer has already begun the search for a new vocalist.

"I have a few guys in mind," said Schaffer. "And as you can imagine, it is a very important decision. One thing is for certain: we are not looking for a Matt Barlow ‘clone' — we are looking for a front man that brings power and character of his own to the table. There's only one Matt, and that era of the band's history will always hold a special place in my heart."

The band's long-awaited six-hour, three-concert live DVD, "Festivals Of The Wicked", is scheduled for release this spring.

makethemsuffer12
03-02-2011, 12:35 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO
Fuck my life for not seeing them in September.

ravenheart
03-02-2011, 12:37 PM
At first I thought "holy fuck, waited this long to see them and he fucks off again", but then I read the bit about honouring their Summer touring. This just ensures they will win ANY clash in the running order at Sweden Rock.

Indestructible
03-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Maybe they should get TIm Owens back. Unless there was tension between Tm Owens and the rest of the band before barlow returned.

makethemsuffer12
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Maybe they should get TIm Owens back. Unless there was tension between Tm Owens and the rest of the band before barlow returned.

God I hope not. Ripper's a great singer and all, but I'm just kinda sick of him. Besides, he wasn't a great fit for Iced Earth, anyway.

Indestructible
03-02-2011, 12:49 PM
God I hope not. Ripper's a great singer and all, but I'm just kinda sick of him. Besides, he wasn't a great fit for Iced Earth, anyway.

I think he was fine. I never heard him do Barlow songs but if there is anyone you can get that is just as good as Barlow its Tim Owens. Regardless of how you feel on how Owens rose to fame you can't deny he's a great vocalist.

makethemsuffer12
03-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I think he was fine. I never heard him do Barlow songs but if there is anyone you can get that is just as good as Barlow its Tim Owens. Regardless of how you feel on how Owens rose to fame you can't deny he's a great vocalist.

I didn't. Reread the first part of my other post. And no, they could probably do better than Ripper. His voice is nothing like Barlow's, and while he is a talented singer, I just think he isn't a good fit for the music that Iced Earth makes.

IrritatedTrout
03-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Saw them with Barlow once in 08, don't listen to them much anymore though.

ravenheart
03-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I saw them live with Ripper. He just doesn't suit the Barlow stuff at all. He didn't suck at it, it just didn't work.

Indestructible
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
They're going to have to find someone who can do both the Barlow and Ripper Era well.

makethemsuffer12
03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I saw them live with Ripper. He just doesn't suit the Barlow stuff at all. He didn't suck at it, it just didn't work.

This. The same thing goes for Barlow doing the Ripper songs. Barlow + Ten Thousand Strong = shit ain't right. Hopefully they can find someone who can do both singers justice, though that probably won't be an easy task.

BlackmoreOfBowling
03-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Mike Portnoy.

IrritatedTrout
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Mike Portnoy.

I lol'd.

Derelict
03-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Mike Portnoy.

Jon Schaeffer won't return his emails :(

MPF
03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK....FUCK!!!

At least I can say I met Iced Earth when Matt came back into the band. I just hope they find the right guy to replace Matt. This is going to bother me for a long time.

Fe Maiden
03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
This band goes through way too many personnel changes!

ravenheart
03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
There have been loads of excuses, but I think it has got to come down to Schaffer pisses people off. It's the only viable explanation.

I can understand it too. The guy is clearly a self-righteous asshole.

Sanitarium78
03-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I can't say i'm surprised by this at all given the bands history. It was cool that Barlow came back but if his heart isn't fully into IE than leaving again is the right choice.

I liked what Ripper did with IE. On Framing Armageddon I thought he had the greatest vocal perfomance of his career. I wouldn't want him back though. Schaffer should go for a younger metal singer who's got a fresh strong voice with a good range. That way the singer can cover both Barlow and Ripper stuff without killing his voice too much.

Maiden33
03-02-2011, 04:31 PM
They're going to have to find someone who can do both the Barlow and Ripper Era well.

Honestly I think Jon's gonna be much more inclined to find someone in tune with Barlow's style. Ripper wasn't THAT big of a part of Iced Earth. He was only on two albums, and honestly there were only a few songs on each where he was really going nuts with his high falsetto stuff. I don't think most Iced Earth fans would bitch about seeing future IE shows where they only did a total of 2-3 songs from the entire Ripper "era".

Maiden33
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
There have been loads of excuses, but I think it has got to come down to Schaffer pisses people off. It's the only viable explanation.

I can understand it too. The guy is clearly a self-righteous asshole.

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt about this.

es156
03-03-2011, 04:46 PM
This news makes me :(

Jon Schaeffer won't return his emails :(

but this post makes me :lol:

JLRedWing13
03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
I am disappoint. Never got to see Iced Earth with him.

MPF
03-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Just to make some people feel shitty here...and to show off

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v373/51/16/629590458/n629590458_4809229_6392.jpg

*obviously I'm the one in the middle with the Metallica shirt*

DethMaiden
03-03-2011, 08:10 PM
1) Find John Greely.
2) Play Night of the Stormrider live in its entirety.
3) Win.

Maiden33
03-03-2011, 08:12 PM
1) Find John Greely.
2) Fail.

Fixed.

Indestructible
03-03-2011, 08:14 PM
1) Find John Greely.
2) Play Night of the Stormrider live in its entirety.
3) Win.

Greely is a nazi and does not deserve to play songs from the greatness that is Iced Earth again. I doubt they would be able to find Greely anyways.

DethMaiden
03-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Don't know anything about the guy beyond he gave a pretty great performance on the best Iced Earth album. Kind of a poor man's Barlow stylistically but the material was so strong that I've kind of come to like him just as much.

Indestructible
03-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Don't know anything about the guy beyond he gave a pretty great performance on the best Iced Earth album. Kind of a poor man's Barlow stylistically but the material was so strong that I've kind of come to like him just as much.

You cant really find much about Greely. I read that he was nazi, I read he made anti semetic jokes on a tour. Then I believe Schaffer took him to where the concentration camps use to be to teach him the history of the holocaust etc to see if he would change his ways. Greely saw a jewish man praying and then made fun of him. That's the main reason Greely was fired, he was also stealing money from the band.

DethMaiden
03-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Well if that stuff's true, yeah, I don't want him back in the band. Someone else who can sing the Stormrider stuff would be appreciated though. :lol:

Indestructible
03-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Well if that stuff's true, yeah, I don't want him back in the band. Someone else who can sing the Stormrider stuff would be appreciated though. :lol:

Im sure any young well trained metal vocalist can pull of Night of the Stormrider. The self titled should be easy to pull off too.

MPF
03-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Get Corey Taylor, he seems to be joining. and then not joining. and then hints at joining every band now a days.

Indestructible
03-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Get Corey Taylor, he seems to be joining. and then not joining. and then hints at joining every band now a days.

he would be a horrible fit for iced earth

MPF
03-03-2011, 10:31 PM
he would be a horrible fit for iced earth

....You know I was joking right?

ravenheart
03-04-2011, 12:21 AM
....You know I was joking right?

He doesn't do subtlty.

kommie
03-04-2011, 03:28 AM
has Corey Taylor even heard of Iced Earth? They aren't exactly Mainstream 101.

Steev
03-04-2011, 05:07 AM
has Corey Taylor even heard of Iced Earth? They aren't exactly Mainstream 101.

no, it's actually a rule that every band who sells alot of albums isn't allowed to know about any other bands

Natrlhi
03-04-2011, 05:42 AM
He doesn't do subtlty.Or logic.

EDIT: Or irony, sarcasm, a sense of humor, taking things with a grain of salt, context, perspective, moderation...I mean, who needs those things, right?

Maidenmagic
03-04-2011, 06:23 AM
They should have never brought him back in the first place. You can't be a cop and tour around the world that much. I'm glad that he admitted that his presence was limiting the band's potential. He's a good singer but I prefer Ripper. Jon, bring him back.

Div
03-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Yea greely said some anti-semitic stuff at some very innapropriate times, hes probably a dick, but musically speaking stormrider was the best that this band has ever done. straight up old school style thrash without all this cheesy power metal nonsense. but at this point he might as well get justin beiber to sing for the band sense noone takes them seriously anyway.

ChildrenofSodom
03-04-2011, 07:46 AM
I think Gene Adams had a silly voice. The self-titled was the first album I heard, and immediately resold it to the used CD store because of the silliness. Similarly, I don't like King Diamond either.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
I'll check out any new IE material but I've pretty much lost interest in them with all the line-up changes/ re-recording of Barlow songs by Ripper and Ripper songs by Barlow. Enough with all the fucking gimmicks and trilogies and whatnot. Just find a good singer and put out a decent fucking album.

Div
03-04-2011, 08:04 AM
I'll check out any new IE material but I've pretty much lost interest in them with all the line-up changes/ re-recording of Barlow songs by Ripper and Ripper songs by Barlow. Enough with all the fucking gimmicks and trilogies and whatnot. Just find a good singer and put out a decent fucking album.

:fist:

JLRedWing13
03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I just wanted a tour....... :(

Krelian440
03-05-2011, 11:44 AM
1. Hire Hansi Kursch
2. Change band name to Demons & Wizards
3. Tour.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
03-05-2011, 02:17 PM
1. Hire Hansi Kursch

:barf::barf::barf:

If I never heard him or James LaBrie sing again that would be fine with me.

makethemsuffer12
03-05-2011, 02:31 PM
:barf::barf::barf:

If I never heard him or James LaBrie sing again that would be fine with me.

Wow... just wow.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
03-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Wow... just wow.

If some dude on here can think that Reign In Blood isn't even a top 20 all-time thrash album, then I can think Kursch's way over-harmonized vocals blow. And I do. Plus I hate euro power metal.

MPF
03-05-2011, 07:55 PM
This thread went from sad, to even more depressing.