PDA

View Full Version : BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE -- Metal Hammer, December 2010

brutal_descent
02-27-2011, 01:40 AM
I just wanted to share some excerpts from an article and later, interview with Matt Tuck of Bullet for My Valentine from the December 2010 issue of Metal Hammer UK. It's quite provocative, and I'd like to hear what people have to say about it.

COVER STORY: BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE AND THE FUTURE OF METAL

"In spite of venomous attacks from the metal community, the internet and the press, they stand as the biggest British metal band to have emerged since Iron Maiden smashed through the barricades of the mainstream in the late 70s and early 80s." Later the author states that the modern benchmark for what a metal band can accomplish is personified by Bullet.

"It does hurt at times," says Matt after a Brief pause. "I've learnt to deal with the negative stuff that people have to say and that you can't please all the people, all of the time. We've got a huge loyal fanbase at the moment, and that's all that matters really. We've people up because we're selling out venues all over the world."

"We're all one big happy metal family, or we should be, and that gets forgotten sometimes. We're all in the same fucking boat here! Let's all be fucking cool!" - Matt

"It's imperative to consider that a new generation of metal heads have the same horn-throwing passion for The Poison (BFMV) or Trivium's Ascendancy that past generations have felt about Number of the Beast, Master of Puppets or Burn My Eyes."

"For every 10 people who get introduced to our world via a BFMV record, a portion of those fans will become metal heads for life as a consequence of their purchase. Show us someone whose first metal record was At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul and we'll watch their nose grow a couple of inches."

More to quote, but I'm too lazy to type on this shitty Mac keyboard. What do you guys think?

BloodoftheKings
02-27-2011, 07:09 AM
"It's imperative to consider that a new generation of metal heads have the same horn-throwing passion for The Poison (BFMV) or Trivium's Ascendancy that past generations have felt about Number of the Beast, Master of Puppets or Burn My Eyes."

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2283585.gif

Indestructible
02-27-2011, 07:10 AM
:lol::lol:

brutal_descent
02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2283585.gif

What the fuck is Burn My Eyes doing there anyway? It's nothing compared to Number of the Beast, or Puppets. :hmm:

kommie
02-27-2011, 07:22 AM
BFMV is metal? This is news to me.

brutal_descent
02-27-2011, 07:29 AM
I know kids who started off listening to Bullet and then progressed into Metallica, Slayer, Bodom, and then into Mayhem. :cool:

As long as metalcore acts as a gateway into real metal I have nothing against it.

makethemsuffer12
02-27-2011, 07:53 AM
That's almost as funny as that "Trivium: Destroyers of False Metal" issue that they had a while back.

llama lom
02-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Show us someone whose first metal record was At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul and we'll watch their nose grow a couple of inches."

Actually, from what I remember, my first was a Cannibal Corpse album. Either way it wasn't a metalcore album. I agree with BrutalDescent though, as long as the people get into heavier stuff and realize that there IS heavier stuff out there, then I'm fine with it.

slapguitarer
02-27-2011, 10:56 AM
My friend bought this issue and I skimmed through it. The whole time, I was face-palming. Metal Hammer is a fucking joke. I'd say it's worse than Revolver.

BloodoftheKings
02-27-2011, 10:57 AM
What the fuck is Burn My Eyes doing there anyway? It's nothing compared to Number of the Beast, or Puppets. :hmm:

BFMV is metal? This is news to me.

My thoughts exactly

BloodoftheKings
02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
My friend bought this issue and I skimmed through it. The whole time, I was face-palming. Metal Hammer is a fucking joke. I'd say it's worse than Revolver.

Metal Hammer can be bad at times but Revolver is the magazine that hands out awards for the most metal athlete and the hottest chick in metal.

brutal_descent
02-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Metal Hammer can be bad at times but Revolver is the magazine that hands out awards for the most metal athlete and the hottest chick in metal.

Metal Hammer is possibly the only metal zine which talks about black metal as much as core. That said, it's fun to read.

Terrorizer and Kerrang! are my favorites though.

slapguitarer
02-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Review aside, I think Decibel is the way to go.

brutal_descent
02-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Never read it.

Off topic, but seeing as you're going to Mtn View Mayhem too, who are you going for?

jd091
02-27-2011, 12:01 PM
"For every 10 people who get introduced to our world via a BFMV record, a portion of those fans will become metal heads for life as a consequence of their purchase. Show us someone whose first metal record was At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul and we'll watch their nose grow a couple of inches."

This. I know that my progression for metal growing up was:

AC/DC -> Led Zeppelin -> Metallica -> Slipknot -> Trivium -> Hatebreed -> Lamb of God -> Behemoth -> Nile.... So on and so forth. It leads further down the rabbit hole of heaviness.

Ascendancy was a great, inspirational album for me when it came out. Would I have gotten into death metal without it? Maybe not. For that, I'm really grateful.

brutal_descent
02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
The Beatles --> Nirvana --> AC/DC --> Metallica --> Megadeth --> Slayer --> Bullet for My Valentine --> Alice in Chains --> Mastodon --> Korn --> Dimmu Borgir --> Hatebreed --> The Stooges --> Rob Zombie --> Mayhem --> Cradle of Filth --> Sodom

:lol:

jd091
02-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Forgot to mention when I hit my Meshuggah stage after I got big into death metal. Holy fuck, that band changed the way I looked at music, maybe more than any other.

brutal_descent
02-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Forgot to mention when I hit my Meshuggah stage after I got big into death metal. Holy fuck, that band changed the way I looked at music, maybe more than any other.

I'll say hi when I see them in four weeks. :lol:

slapguitarer
02-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Never read it.

Off topic, but seeing as you're going to Mtn View Mayhem too, who are you going for?

I've going to see Megadeth, Testament, Red Fang, Unearth, Machine Head, and I sorta like All Shall Perish. They're one of few tolerable Deathcore bands. My dad and friends really wanna see Godsmack and Disturbed, so I'm staying for the whole day. I don't mind Godsmack.

brutal_descent
02-27-2011, 12:16 PM
I've going to see Megadeth, Testament, Red Fang, Unearth, Machine Head, and I sorta like All Shall Perish. They're one of few tolerable Deathcore bands. My dad and friends really wanna see Godsmack and Disturbed, so I'm staying for the whole day. I don't mind Godsmack.

If you don't mind someone who commentates incessantly during shows, we should meet up.

I'm going for Megadeth (third time), Testament, Machine Fucking Head, Unearth, All Shall Perish, Kingdom of Sorrow, Red Fang, and Trivium.

I might watch Godsmack, but I'll only see Disturbed if they're good at Graspop.

slapguitarer
02-27-2011, 12:19 PM
If you don't mind someone who commentates incessantly during shows, we should meet up.

I'm going for Megadeth (third time), Testament, Machine Fucking Head, Unearth, All Shall Perish, Kingdom of Sorrow, Red Fang, and Trivium.

I might watch Godsmack, but I'll only see Disturbed if they're good at Graspop.

Yeah that'd be cool. You, Wine, and I could meet up. But I think it's a little too early to make plans for something happening in July.

brutal_descent
02-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah that'd be cool. You, Wine, and I could meet up. But I think it's a little too early to make plans for something happening in July.

The Unholy Trinity. :cool:

True.
Let's hope we get some guest acts.

slapguitarer
02-27-2011, 12:33 PM
The Unholy Trinity. :cool:

True.
Let's hope we get some guest acts.

Well, there's always a small local band that opens the Jager Stage. They haven't announced them yet.

jd091
02-27-2011, 12:36 PM
I'll say hi when I see them in four weeks. :lol:

You lucky sonnofa bitch.

brutal_descent
02-27-2011, 12:54 PM
You lucky sonnofa bitch.

"So, theres this guy on this forum called.. You know what, fuck it, I'd like an autograph" ;)

jd091
02-27-2011, 04:04 PM
"So, theres this guy on this forum called.. You know what, fuck it, I'd like an autograph" ;)

:D:finger:

Don't they got a new album coming out? I need to see me some live 'shuggah. I wonder if they'll tour with Vildhjarta or something, with this djent craze going on.

NickLed19
02-27-2011, 05:15 PM

Disturbed is shit live.