PDA

View Full Version : Summer Metal Festivals (USA)

brutal_descent
02-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Could anyone help a fellow metalhead out and tell me if there are any metal/rock festivals in the West Coast of the USA, preferably in or near San Francisco/California? Also, I'm in the area all of July up until mid/late-August (15th to 18th), so please don't name fests I can't attend, like Scion, Coachella, or California Metal Fest.

I'm aware of Gayhem :flame:, Warped :cool:, Summer Slaughter :rocker:, but I want some more awesome in my summer break. I hear Bodom is touring with Devin Townsend which is fucking sweet. :allan:

Thanks, and up the irons! :horns:

Sepultura69
02-22-2011, 08:18 AM
There's always the ultra epic CALIFORNIA METAL FEST 2011 which will be headlined by the legendary AS I LAY DYING with support acts like legendary brutal Thrash pioneers SUICIDE Silence

ravenheart
02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
please don't name fests like Scion, Coachella, or California Metal Fest.

There's always the ultra epic CALIFORNIA METAL FEST 2011

Good job, dude.

Sepultura69
02-22-2011, 08:54 AM
dammit! I fucked up :(

ravenheart
02-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Don't worry, you had to clutch at straws, America has no good festivals ;)

Sepultura69
02-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Wait a minute!

I think I know something that will make up for my stupid little fuck up earlier on the thread. You asked about a metal festival to check out? well, jokes aside...here ya go

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/44927753/THRASHO+DE+MAYO+V+Thrasho+V.png

This is last years Thrasho De Mayo. I attended this last year with a bunch of friends and we had a blast, good times, good times. In case you're wondering...Thrasho De Mayo is an annual metal festival that takes place in the middle of May in downtown Los Angeles. It's "a southern california thing" if you wanna call it that...

A lot of great bands have played there. Heathen reunited for 2008, Exumer made their U.S debut at thrasho de mayo in 2009, Evil Dead reunited in 2010...I have no clue what's in stores for 2011 but it should be epic.:party:

Blah, it's still nothing compared to the types of Festivals that Ravenheart gets in his neck of the woods, but hey man...that's the best option you got(other than the other festivals that you mentioned above)....which isn't really saying much, to tell you the truth :(

anyways, there's my 2 cents:cool:

Onioner
02-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Be on the lookout for Tidal Wave 2011 in San Francisco sometime in July. Last year they got Raven, Giant Squid, Anvil Chorus, Witchaven, and Stone Vengeance among many others I can't remember now. This year I believe they're trying to get Possessed. Last year it was so much fun. I met Gary Holt from Exodus and bought evil cookies from him, and Raven absolutely annihilated. You can also meet the members of the bands super easily, they all just sort of hang around. Yeah, the bands are mostly California acts, but you'll have a fun time regardless and no metalcore/deathcore will be played.

Oh yeah, it's free.

christopher
02-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Wait a minute!

I think I know something that will make up for my stupid little fuck up earlier on the thread. You asked about a metal festival to check out? well, jokes aside...here ya go

This is last years Thrasho De Mayo. I attended this last year with a bunch of friends and we had a blast, good times, good times. In case you're wondering...Thrasho De Mayo is an annual metal festival that takes place in the middle of May in downtown Los Angeles. It's "a southern california thing" if you wanna call it that...

A lot of great bands have played there. Heathen reunited for 2008, Exumer made their U.S debut at thrasho de mayo in 2009, Evil Dead reunited in 2010...I have no clue what's in stores for 2011 but it should be epic.:party:

Blah, it's still nothing compared to the types of Festivals that Ravenheart gets in his neck of the woods, but hey man...that's the best option you got(other than the other festivals that you mentioned above)....which isn't really saying much, to tell you the truth :(

I can't wait to hear who is playing this year. Well hopefully we have one this year. Dan Dismal is fucking broke and can't do show too often anymore. He's the guy who is in charge of church of the 8th day. I'm really bummed that there was no Murderfest last year and it looks like its not going to happen this year either. After all the let downs for him, it was good to hear that Evildead sold the show out by 530 last year.

Natrlhi
02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
The fact that you don't want anyone to mention Scion Rock Fest makes me not want to post anything here.

I would kill a small, defenseless child (as long as it isn't mine) to have that shit back in Ohio this year.

DethMaiden
02-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Central Illinois Metalfest
Dudefest (defunct? haven't heard any news about 2011's)
Maryland Death Fest

...others.

Natrlhi
02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Central Illinois Metalfest
Dudefest (defunct? haven't heard any news about 2011's)
Maryland Death Fest

...others.He was asking about California, but thanks for playing.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm butthurt that you'll be seeing Immortal and Absu tonight and I won't. What of it?!? :mad:

Derelict
02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
I definitely don't think metal when i hear Dudefest.

DethMaiden
02-22-2011, 10:19 AM
He was asking about California, but thanks for playing.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm butthurt that you'll be seeing Immortal and Absu tonight and I won't. What of it?!? :mad:

D'oh! Sorry OP!

And it's okay Natty. There's always next time. You know, in another nine years when they play the Midwest again. :fingers: ;)

I definitely don't think metal when i hear Dudefest.

2008: Torche, The Red Chord, Coliseum, Nachtmystium, Transistor/Transistor, Racebannon, Plague Bringer, The Wayward, You Will Die, Minsk, The_Network, Fight Amp, The Gates of Slumber, Pig Destroyer, Despise You, Insect Warfare, Hewhocorrupts, Phoenix Bodies, Trap Them, Lords, Gaza, The Dream is Dead, Shitstorm, Get Rad, Weekend Nachos, Worldeater, Suicide Note, Sweet Cobra, Mouth of the Architect, Kylesa, Kung Fu Rick, Iron Lung, Backstabbers INC, Graf Orlock, Skeletonwitch, Demiricous, Capsule, Ghostlimb, In The Face of War

Possibly my favorite festival lineup ever, not sure why I skipped this now that I think about it. Must have been timing or money or having nowhere to crash since it's multi-day, can't for the life of me recall.

Natrlhi
02-22-2011, 10:32 AM
D'oh! Sorry OP!

And it's okay Natty. There's always next time. You know, in another nine years when they play the Midwest again. :fingers: ;)Yeah, I know - that's why I'm so butthurt.

2008: Torche, The Red Chord, Coliseum, Nachtmystium, Transistor/Transistor, Racebannon, Plague Bringer, The Wayward, You Will Die, Minsk, The_Network, Fight Amp, The Gates of Slumber, Pig Destroyer, Despise You, Insect Warfare, Hewhocorrupts, Phoenix Bodies, Trap Them, Lords, Gaza, The Dream is Dead, Shitstorm, Get Rad, Weekend Nachos, Worldeater, Suicide Note, Sweet Cobra, Mouth of the Architect, Kylesa, Kung Fu Rick, Iron Lung, Backstabbers INC, Graf Orlock, Skeletonwitch, Demiricous, Capsule, Ghostlimb, In The Face of War

Possibly my favorite festival lineup ever, not sure why I skipped this now that I think about it. Must have been timing or money or having nowhere to crash since it's multi-day, can't for the life of me recall.Naw, this doesn't make me think metal either. :rolleyes: ;)

I wasn't aware of it until afterward - that's the only reason I didn't go. What an outstanding fucking lineup. I would have lost my fucking mind with ecstasy. :bliss:

DethMaiden
02-22-2011, 10:35 AM
You obviously just didn't see The Red Chord and The Gates of Slumber on there when you were bolding shit. ;)

ravenheart
02-22-2011, 10:55 AM
You obviously just didn't see The Red Chord and The Gates of Slumber on there when you were bolding shit. ;)

I try not to see those too ;)

Natrlhi
02-22-2011, 10:56 AM

:lol: I've seen The Red Chord live. They're pretty good. Live. On album, they just don't hold my attention, though. They don't totally suck, but... :snivel:

...and I haven't really become a Gates of Slumber fan yet. Yet. ;)

Derelict
02-22-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm not making fun of the festival itself, more that it's named something that makes me think of an All Male Revue.

Natrlhi
02-22-2011, 10:59 AM
^ :lol: Now I get it. It's just your rampant homophopbia talking. Gotcha. ;)

powerslave_85
02-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Actually, "Dudefest" sounds like it would have Nickelback, 311, and Buckcherry.

brutal_descent
02-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Wait a minute!

2cents is one of the worst bands I've ever heard. :eyes:

In my post, I specified when I'd be in CA (July-August). Thrasho De Mayo is in May.

By the way, I'm from Europe. I go to Hellfest, (a) Sonisphere, Graspop, and Rock am Ring every year. :rocker:

brutal_descent
02-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Be on the lookout for Tidal Wave 2011 in San Francisco sometime in July. Last year they got Raven, Giant Squid, Anvil Chorus, Witchaven, and Stone Vengeance among many others I can't remember now. This year I believe they're trying to get Possessed. Last year it was so much fun. I met Gary Holt from Exodus and bought evil cookies from him, and Raven absolutely annihilated. You can also meet the members of the bands super easily, they all just sort of hang around. Yeah, the bands are mostly California acts, but you'll have a fun time regardless and no metalcore/deathcore will be played.

Oh yeah, it's free.

Sounds sick! :party: Will keep my eyes out.

brutal_descent
02-22-2011, 12:53 PM
The fact that you don't want anyone to mention Scion Rock Fest makes me not want to post anything here.

I would kill a small, defenseless child (as long as it isn't mine) to have that shit back in Ohio this year.

I can't go, that's why I didn't want anyone to mention it. :mad:

brutal_descent
02-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Actually, "Dudefest" sounds like it would have Nickelback, 311, and Buckcherry.

Also Hellyeah. :cool:

brutal_descent
02-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Don't worry, you had to clutch at straws, America has no good festivals ;)

High five for not living in America. ;)

rjturtle9
02-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Thrasho De Mayo was one of the most boring shows I have ever been too. Too many generic thrash bands bands playing, all the bands going over time making the whole show behind schedule, and too many lame poser thrash kids. If I remeber correctly, Evil Dead didn't play till after one in the morning, when they were supposed to be on at eleven. Some bands were pretty good, but all in all, it was a long, boring day. I won't go back this year unless they have an amazing line up, which probably wont happen since Church of the 8th Day hasn't really been doing well and Fueled by Fire always putting themselves over better and more important bands.

Also:

God damn bro. :eek:

Sepultura69
02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
If I remeber correctly, Evil Dead didn't play till after one in the morning, when they were supposed to be on at eleven.

Who gives a fuck? They came on exactly at 1:40 and played till 3 in the morning. They sounded great so I don't know what you're talking about "boring". All the "Annihilation of civilization" songs sounded even better live than on the album, minus the leader singer. Also, me and my friends had a great time, sorry that you had such a borrring time. Different folks, different strokes I guess. And I can't really complain for tickets that were less than 15 bucks.:hmm:

idrinkwine732
02-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Sounds sick! :party: Will keep my eyes out.

Tidal Wave is a fantastic show. I went last year as well, and it's fantastic.

The main bands the promoters are going after this year are Possessed and Death Angel.

slapguitarer
02-22-2011, 06:30 PM

The main bands the promoters are going after this year are Possessed and Death Angel.

That sounds awesome. Perhaps they could get some bands like Cormorant, Dispirit, Grayceon, Worm Ouroboros, or Acid King. :D

idrinkwine732
02-22-2011, 10:14 PM
That sounds awesome. Perhaps they could get some bands like Cormorant, Dispirit, Grayceon, Worm Ouroboros, or Acid King. :D

I don't want to get any hopes up, but I talked to Tonus last year about getting Cormorant on 2011's fest, and then I noticed that Tidal Wave friended them on facebook.

I think they could very well be on it this year. Also, JPG and co were on last year, so I don't see why Grayceon couldn't too. Dispirit is a little bit too kvlt for the fest, which mainly caters to the traditional and thrash crowd.

slapguitarer
02-22-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't want to get any hopes up, but I talked to Tonus last year about getting Cormorant on 2011's fest, and then I noticed that Tidal Wave friended them on facebook.

I think they could very well be on it this year. Also, JPG and co were on last year, so I don't see why Grayceon couldn't too. Dispirit is a little bit too kvlt for the fest, which mainly caters to the traditional and thrash crowd.

Well, if any of those bands were to be there, along with Death Angel or Possessed, I'd be there.

On a side note, I read that Worm Ouroboros are opening for Agalloch on every show of their East Coast tour. Why didn't we get summa that? :nag:

idrinkwine732
02-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Well, if any of those bands were to be there, along with Death Angel or Possessed, I'd be there.

On a side note, I read that Worm Ouroboros are opening for Agalloch on every show of their East Coast tour. Why didn't we get summa that? :nag:

Aesop's a busy man.

Death Angel are out now, apparently.

slapguitarer
02-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Aesop's a busy man.

Death Angel are out now, apparently.

Oh snap, I forgot Aesop drums in Worm Ouroboros.

No Death Angel? :bouville:
Also, where do you get this info from?

idrinkwine732
02-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Ze facebook page of Tidal Wave.

slapguitarer
02-22-2011, 11:03 PM

Oh. I should check that out.

brutal_descent
02-23-2011, 02:39 AM

Possessed?!

Possessed?!

POSSESSED?!

POSSESSEDDDDDDDDDDDD

:allan: Well, I know what I'm doing in July.

brutal_descent
02-23-2011, 02:41 AM

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001059587179 This?

idrinkwine732
02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001059587179 This?

Yes sir. Now, I will warn you, the promoters are only trying to get Possessed. Don't think of it as a done deal.

Also, Slap, send an email to Tonus (on the tidal wave website) and send them an email requesting Cormorant. I'm on a mission.

brutal_descent
02-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Yes sir. Now, I will warn you, the promoters are only trying to get Possessed. Don't think of it as a done deal.

Also, Slap, send an email to Tonus (on the tidal wave website) and send them an email requesting Cormorant. I'm on a mission.

What kind of bands can I request? Genre-wise. Mostly thrash? Death? Black?

idrinkwine732
02-23-2011, 07:23 PM
What kind of bands can I request? Genre-wise. Mostly thrash? Death? Black?

They mainly go after trad and thrash bands, but they went a little bit out there with last year's lineup.