PDA

View Full Version : Parkway Drive -- Kansas City, MO -- February 18th, 2011

Nick_to_the_face
02-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Holy shit. I don't care what you have to say about the music, the scene, r the people, but this is easily one of the best shows I have been to in a long, long, long time. We headed out to the Beaumont Club at about 5:30 and made it there before the doors open. And the first thing that came to my mind was"oh shit, look at all the scene kids" so i was pretty sure i was gonna get a night full of karate kids and douches. I was wrong. The first band up was a Kc local band, Enemies Laid to Rest. They were band I saw about 4 years ago and have got to hang out with a bit before and it was cool to see them now since their style has changed. So I got to catch up with them a bit and overall they were a pretty good show. I don't care for their clean vocals at all but other than that everything else is really good. Sucked though because they were having some major tech issues.

Next up was The Warriors and I have never heard of them so had no idea what to expect. As soon as they said they were from California I knew they were a hardcore band. And HOLY SHIT they kicked so much ass..

But, before I go on i want to mention something. I have never been to a show at the Beaumont Club were they had no rail what so ever, so i figured it would never happen. Turns out they had no rail this show so what does that mean? Stage diving opportunities, and a lot of other things.

So anyway, they were pretty good for the first few songs, but then about 3 songs in, shit started happening. People started crowd surfing, the band started calling for stage divers. And damn did they come. People jumping on stage screaming along, diving into the crowd..it was fucking intense. My big ass even got up there and stage dived :D

Next up was The Ghost inside and again I didn't know what to expect. Finally they came on stage and it fucking exploded. The same shit started happening, stage divers, a huge pit and people jumping on stage screaming their fucking lungs out. Fucking insane. For their whole set the crowd went nuts. I'm gonna have to check out there studio stuff to get a fell judgement on the music, but damn they were fucking good.and once again i stage diving more..

After talking to some people in the crowd, i knew i wasn't gonna like the next band, Set Your Goals, and i was right. What the fuck was going on up there i don't know> They sounded like a wanna be A Day To Remember and the music was pretty bad. But I will give them props for going up there and putting on a damn show. They might suck musically but they know how get the crowd going.

About halfway into Set Your Goals i got sick of the music so I took this time
to hang out with some friends and my girl friend, take a piss break, and play some pool. After loosing a close game, it was time to go up for Parkway Drive. I managed to get back up front for Parkway Drive and I was stoked. Though I had doubt how the crowd was gonna be. It was already packed and I was pretty sure most of the people out there were ninja fighters and was expecting this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuweh...A6A867E75E647B
watch it if you want to laugh

But fuck me sideways just like most of the night, I was wrong. From the moment they hit the stage the crowd went fucking nuts. The pits were respectable, the crowd surfing never stopped and there were so many damn people on stage that i lost track of the band. I don't know how people here feel about Parkway Drive...but damn that was INSANE. Never before have I been to a show like that with people screaming into the mic, the singer actually letting someone take the mic...it was amazing. This show really set the bar high for 2011.

here are some sets

Enemies Laid To Rest(incomplete)
Mana
Condolences
Releasing

Set Your Goals
Flight
Gaia Bleeds
Work In Progress/ We Do It For The Money, OBVIOUSLY
Fallen
Start The Reactor
This Very Moment
To Be Continued
Echoes
Goonies
Summer Jam
Mutiny!

Parkway Drive
Samsara
Unrest
Boneyards
Idols and Anchors
Mutiny
Sleepwalker
Dead Man's Chest
Deliver Me
Home Is For The Heartless
Sirens Song
Romance Is Dead
Set To Destroy

Encore
Carrion

Enemies Laid To Rest: 6.5/10
The Warriors: 9/10
The Ghost Inside: 8.5/10
Set Your Goals: 5/10
Parkway Drive: 10/10

Notes for Jd091.
the moshing was actually moshing, there were a few ninjas...but they came in went. if your show is anything like mine, your in for a fucking show. and sorry wasn't able to get the ghost inside's set

mankvill
02-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Sounds like an awesome time! I saw Suicidal Tendencies at the Beaumont and they had no rail and there were tons of stage divers there! Fun stuff.

treghet
02-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm glad it was a good show. The Parkway Drive set disappoints me a bit though. I wish they would play a couple more songs, I mean they have three albums now. But it doesn't surprise me, since a lot of the metalcore and deathcore bands play short sets.

larvtard
02-19-2011, 12:51 PM
But it doesn't surprise me, since a lot of metal bands play short sets.

FTFY

mastodon421
02-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Nice review. I am digging Parkway Drive's setlist, they are playing most of their best songs.

Shadowswillfall414
02-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Nice. Thinking about going to see them when they come around.

bobisdead911
02-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Oh man I wanna go just to see them play Romance is Dead:rocker:

jd091
02-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the awesome review! This is a big relief to read, since I've been getting mixed comments back from people on Youtube vids on how Parkway Drive is live. Feels great to see a fellow metalhead enjoy the show. I think I'm gonna wear my Nile shirt just to give a big :bigfinger to all the scene kiddies.

I will say that I'm seeing them in the House of Blues, so there's a big rail and lots of security guys. Highly doubt there will be stagediving/singing into the mic, as thats the essence of a good hardcore show. Oh well... :tp:

Notes for Jd091.
the moshing was actually moshing, there were a few ninjas...but they came in went. if your show is anything like mine, your in for a fucking show. and sorry wasn't able to get the ghost inside's set

This is awesome news! I think I'm gonna get there early so I can be on the rail for The Warriors and The Ghost Inside, then I'll probably take a drinking break during Set Your Goals, and get in the pit for all of Parkway. :horns:

No problem on TGI's set; they only have 2 albums out and I have a pretty good idea what they're gonna play. I HIGHLY recommend checking them out; they're my favorite melodic hardcore band by far. "Returners" was a near-perfect album for their genre IMAO; the song structure and lyrics are brilliant. Check out "Greater Distance" and "Between the Lines", those songs have been cycling through my playlists a ton lately.

Monday nights gonna be crazy! Now you got me all excited, I don't know what the hell I'm gonna do all tonight and tomorrow... I haven't seen a show in months, and its eating away at me...

jd091
02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh, and Nick_to_the_face: Your avatar pic is amazing.

MY ANUS IS BLEEEEEEEEEDING

LAXdef16
02-19-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm pretty excited for this show (mainly The Ghost Inside). The only downside is that my show is at the House of Blues so there won't be stage diving really :/

Nick_to_the_face
02-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Sounds like an awesome time! I saw Suicidal Tendencies at the Beaumont and they had no rail and there were tons of stage divers there! Fun stuff.

Nice :party: really wish I could have went to that show:bouville:

I'm glad it was a good show. The Parkway Drive set disappoints me a bit though. I wish they would play a couple more songs, I mean they have three albums now. But it doesn't surprise me, since a lot of the metalcore and deathcore bands play short sets.

Ya i thought the same. Really wish they would have played more off of Don't Close Your Eyes. We got to see Winston after the show and talk to him a bit :party: and i said they should play Looks L:Ike Yoda off that album and he said he was surprised anyone over here knew that stuff. Thats probably why they don't play older stuff. Either way it was a bad ass show.

Nice review. I am digging Parkway Drive's setlist, they are playing most of their best songs.

Thanks man I appreciate it! :party:

Thanks for the awesome review! This is a big relief to read, since I've been getting mixed comments back from people on Youtube vids on how Parkway Drive is live. Feels great to see a fellow metalhead enjoy the show. I think I'm gonna wear my Nile shirt just to give a big :bigfinger to all the scene kiddies.

I will say that I'm seeing them in the House of Blues, so there's a big rail and lots of security guys. Highly doubt there will be stagediving/singing into the mic, as thats the essence of a good hardcore show. Oh well... :tp:

This is awesome news! I think I'm gonna get there early so I can be on the rail for The Warriors and The Ghost Inside, then I'll probably take a drinking break during Set Your Goals, and get in the pit for all of Parkway. :horns:

No problem on TGI's set; they only have 2 albums out and I have a pretty good idea what they're gonna play. I HIGHLY recommend checking them out; they're my favorite melodic hardcore band by far. "Returners" was a near-perfect album for their genre IMAO; the song structure and lyrics are brilliant. Check out "Greater Distance" and "Between the Lines", those songs have been cycling through my playlists a ton lately.

Monday nights gonna be crazy! Now you got me all excited, I don't know what the hell I'm gonna do all tonight and tomorrow... I haven't seen a show in months, and its eating away at me...

No problem man! It really was an amazing show. I would definitely try to get up front for that since there will be a rail but either way, most likely gonna be great show. Make sure to post your review man!
Oh, and Nick_to_the_face: Your avatar pic is amazing.

MY ANUS IS BLEEEEEEEEEDING

:fist:

jd091
02-19-2011, 08:37 PM
The rail it is! Do you have any suggestion on when I should arrive for front and center? I'm thinking a least an hour, probably 1 1/2 or even 2 to be safe.

moose_666
02-19-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm glad it was a good show. he Parkway Drive set disappoints me a bit though. I wish they would play a couple more songs, I mean they have three albums now. But it doesn't surprise me, since a lot of the metalcore and deathcore bands play short sets.

They actually have 4 albums
But i still loved this show, it was crazy

jd091
02-19-2011, 09:14 PM

YOU GUYS ARE SUCH COCKTEASES; CAN'T YOU SEE I'M TRYING TO SLEEP

:bawling:

:bliss:

treghet
02-19-2011, 11:33 PM
They actually have 4 albums

Don't Close Your Eyes is an EP, not an album. It just had a couple more songs than a typical EP would.

treghet
02-19-2011, 11:39 PM

Same here (HoB in Hollywood), so that aspect of the show will definitely be missing. It will still be great though, I'm sure.

And I don't think you will have to show up that early to get on the rail. In my experiences for these types of shows, people on the rail come and go. So you could probably get a spot after the first or second band if you just wait for someone to move.

causeofdeath
02-20-2011, 12:36 AM
you should download or buy both ghost inside albums, theyre both amazing. how you compare set your goals to an a day to remember wannabe band is beyond me. they are two completely different styles of music, and theyve both been around the same time. in my opinion they sound nothing alike. SYG is a straight pop punk band with hardcore tendencies, and their latest album is closer to alt rock.. ADTR is metalcore and pop punk if you litterally fused parts of the two together and thats what you get. but, i think SYG is fucking awesome, and talented musicians. not to mention that they are probably one of the most original bands in that scene right now. so do yourself a favor and go download Mutiny! and give it a listen, if you dont like it then whatever, no harm done

moose_666
02-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Don't Close Your Eyes is an EP, not an album. It just had a couple more songs than a typical EP would.

Yes but then they re-released it with 13 songs instead of the original 8.

jd091
02-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I just realized: why are Parkway Drive not playing Smoke 'em if you got 'em? I thought that was one of their staple songs. And I like it a lot...

treghet
02-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I just realized: why are Parkway Drive not playing Smoke 'em if you got 'em? I thought that was one of their staple songs. And I like it a lot...

Yeah, it seems like they usually play that or "It's Hard to Speak Without a Tongue". And those are a couple of my favorites by them. :(

Yes but then they re-released it with 13 songs instead of the original 8.

Technically you could call that an album, but do you really think that's what it is? Those extra songs are just from their previous split and two compilations. It's not like it was new material or previously unreleased songs. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm just saying, in my opinion it's not a full length, because it was pasted together like a compilation.

jd091
02-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Holy shit... you lucky duck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKT3kmllpws

Nick_to_the_face
02-20-2011, 03:36 PM
you should download or buy both ghost inside albums, theyre both amazing. how you compare set your goals to an a day to remember wannabe band is beyond me. they are two completely different styles of music, and theyve both been around the same time. in my opinion they sound nothing alike. SYG is a straight pop punk band with hardcore tendencies, and their latest album is closer to alt rock.. ADTR is metalcore and pop punk if you litterally fused parts of the two together and thats what you get. but, i think SYG is fucking awesome, and talented musicians. not to mention that they are probably one of the most original bands in that scene right now. so do yourself a favor and go download Mutiny! and give it a listen, if you dont like it then whatever, no harm done

I'm definitely gonna give Ghost Inside another shot. I tried listening to SYG before the show and I still didn't like it though i liked the studio stuff better than the live stuff. Either way they're not my cup of tea. I'll give them a decent live show nothing more. And on the ADTR thing i don't know they just really reminded me of them. The whole happy-breakdown thing..i dont know they just remind me of each other. The mixture of pop punk with with metal

Nick_to_the_face
02-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Holy shit... you lucky duck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKT3kmllpws

I miss this :drool:
and this video doesn't come close to how it was...

jd091
02-20-2011, 08:50 PM
I miss this :drool:
and this video doesn't come close to how it was...

I swear I'm gonna find a way to get past the bouncers dive off that goddamn stage! I have to!

Nick_to_the_face
02-20-2011, 11:38 PM
I swear I'm gonna find a way to get past the bouncers dive off that goddamn stage! I have to!

Hahaha wish you luck..though I doubt it...

i feel privileged with my show:bliss:

jd091
02-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Make sure to post your review man!

Got it up now! You were right, this was a great concert. Personally, The Ghost Insode stole the night for best performance. Parkway Drive was great also. Glad I made the right decision in coming to this concert.

Nick_to_the_face
02-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Got it up now! You were right, this was a great concert. Personally, The Ghost Insode stole the night for best performance. Parkway Drive was great also. Glad I made the right decision in coming to this concert.

Glad it was a good show for you man!
to bad it still wasn't this ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rvbI7mwRn4

i'm the guy with long hair who comes on stage at about 3 minutes :D

but ya The Ghost Inside has definitely made a new fan, to bad I didn't go to the show knowing about them, I would have enjoyed them more than I did