PDA

View Full Version : Best Modern Black Metal Release

hb420
02-18-2011, 08:32 PM
What do you guys think is the best modern black metal release this past ten years or so? My pick goes to either Enslaved's Below The Lights or Deathspell Omega's Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice. Honerable mentions would be Nachtmystium's Instinct: Decay, Emperor's Promethus, and Drudkh's Blood In Our Wells.

ChildrenofSodom
02-18-2011, 08:36 PM
As opposed to best ancient black metal.

hb420
02-18-2011, 08:43 PM
As opposed to best ancient black metal.

BM has been around a long time already, and has evolved alot. So I think saying modern and explaining I meant in the past decade is justifiable.

slapguitarer
02-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini
Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain
Alcest's Ecailles De Lune
Cormorant's Metazoa
Immortal's Sons of Northern Darkness

JRA
02-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Immortal's Sons of Northern Darkness

Perhaps this?

DethMaiden
02-18-2011, 10:26 PM
If "newer album by old band" counts then Sons of Northern Darkness hands down.

Beyond that I'd go with some Alcest or Wolves in the Throne Room or even Cobalt.

mankvill
02-18-2011, 10:55 PM
You can't go wrong with Deathspell. I prefer their old albums monumentally over the new, but the new is still brilliant.

Also like Drudkh and Taake. I don't think either band has made a bad album.

larvtard
02-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Woe -- Quietly, Undramatically
hipster American black metal FTW :party:

idrinkwine732
02-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Woe -- Quietly, Undramatically
hipster American black metal FTW :party:

Cormorant is headlining a show with them here, but it's 21+, :(

larvtard
02-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Cormorant is headlining a show with them here, but it's 21+, :(

Hmmmm. Aren't you friends with Arthur on last.fm? Just ask him to put you on the guest list or something.

slapguitarer
02-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Hmmmm. Aren't you friends with Arthur on last.fm? Just ask him to put you on the guest list or something.

I would be so pissed if that happend.

idrinkwine732
02-19-2011, 04:23 PM

When it's the bar's legal inability to have under 21's in the place, I am not sure he has the ability to do that.

Also, Arthur owes me exactly 0 favors, so I don't think that would work anyway.

slapguitarer
02-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Cormorant needs to do an all ages show ASAP

idrinkwine732
02-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Cormorant needs to do an all ages show ASAP

I'd say that they'll start doing shows a lot more once they have studio time booked, but I don't know their timetable for that. I don't think they have it booked yet, so I'm not holding my breath.

Their last all ages show was canceled, and the one before that was the one I went to, as far as I know. I think you'll see them live this year though. I got to go to college and find me a new Cormorant.

slapguitarer
02-19-2011, 07:18 PM
I'd say that they'll start doing shows a lot more once they have studio time booked, but I don't know their timetable for that. I don't think they have it booked yet, so I'm not holding my breath.

Their last all ages show was canceled, and the one before that was the one I went to, as far as I know. I think you'll see them live this year though. I got to go to college and find me a new Cormorant.

As long as Vektor keeps their word and swings by Petaluma when they tour for the new album, I'm sure I'll see Cormorant.

makethemsuffer12
02-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Cradle of Filth - Thornography

larvtard
02-19-2011, 08:40 PM
When it's the bar's legal inability to have under 21's in the place, I am not sure he has the ability to do that.

Also, Arthur owes me exactly 0 favors, so I don't think that would work anyway.

Eh, I'm not too sure about that. You should look into it.

And don't look at it as him going way out of his way for you. You can still pay him the amount of money the ticket would be. In any case, I don't think he'd mind helping out a fan.

illuminatus917
02-19-2011, 09:31 PM
BM has been around a long time already, and has evolved alot. So I think saying modern and explaining I meant in the past decade is justifiable.

It is. There are two periods in its history. The first brought us the founders, with Venom, Bathory, Celtic Frost, etc.
The second brought us the Immortal's and the Satyricon's.

I'm really hoping bands like Alcest spark a successful branch off genre, combining post-rock with black metal... but right now there are just a few of those. I'm hoping we'll see the beginnings of that genre develop over the coming years.

treghet
02-19-2011, 11:58 PM
A couple I enjoy that haven't been mentioned yet:

Myrkgrav - Trollskau, Skrømt Og Kølabrenning
Valkyrja - Contamination

idrinkwine732
02-20-2011, 02:15 AM
As long as Vektor keeps their word and swings by Petaluma when they tour for the new album, I'm sure I'll see Cormorant.

Don't count your marbles.

I am not sure Vektor is as big of a draw here as they are in other places in the US.

slapguitarer
02-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Don't count your marbles.

I am not sure Vektor is as big of a draw here as they are in other places in the US.

Pssh. All I go to due is tell all the kiddies they're Thrash and they'll show up.

:cool: