PDA

View Full Version : Bonnaroo 2011

mankvill
02-15-2011, 11:39 AM
* Eminem
* Arcade Fire
* Widespread Panic
* The Black Keys
* Buffalo Springfield feat Richie Furay, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, Rick Rosas, Joe Vitale
* My Morning Jacket
* Lil Wayne
* String Cheese Incident
* Robert Plant & Band of Joy
* Mumford & Sons
* The Strokes
* The Decemberists
* Ray Lamontagne
* Bassnectar
* Iron & Wine
* Girl Talk
* Primus
* Dr. John and The Original Meters performing Desitively Bonnaroo
* Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas
* Pretty Lights
* Florence & the Machine
* Superjam ft. Dan Auerbach and Dr. John
* Explosions in the Sky
* STS9
* Gogol Bordello
* Beirut
* Big Boi
* Scissor Sisters
* Gregg Allman
* Ratatat
* Global Gypsy Punk Revue curated by Eugene Htz
* Robyn
* Warren Haynes Band
* Deerhunter
* Opeth
* Atmosphere
* Old Crow Medicine Show
* Bootsy Collins & the Funk University
* Wiz Khalifa
* Matt & Kim
* Grace Potter & the Nocturnals
* The Del McCoury Band and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band
* Mavis Staples
* Bla Fleck & the Flecktones
* Chiddy Bang
* Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers
* Loretta Lynn
* Cold War Kids
* The Walkmen
* Devotchka
* Wanda Jackson
* Neon Trees
* Portugal. The Man
* Sleigh Bells
* Amos Lee
* Best Coast
* Dm-Funk
* The Sword
* The Drums
* The Black Angels
* School of Seven Bells
* J. Cole
* Nicole Atkins & the Black Sea
* Wavves
* !!!
* Junip
* Freelance Whales
* Justin Townes Earle
* Ryan Bingham
* Deer Tick
* Band of Skulls
* Sharon Van Etten
* Abigail Washburn
* Omar Souleyman
* Twin Shadow
* Kylesa
* Man Man
* The Low Anthem
* Alberta Cross
* Railroad Earth
* Jessica Lea Mayfield
* Smith Westerns
* The Head and the Heart
* Karen Elson
* Beats Antique
* 22-20s
* Phosphorescent
* Clare MaGuire
* Hayes Carll
* Jovanotti

Derelict
02-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Opeth kind sticks out there...wonder if they are doing a full tour while theyre over

DethMaiden
02-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Six bands I listen to. Pretty standard for a Bonnaroo lineup. Probably will never go as the atmosphere sounds terrible based on reports from friends.

BlackmoreOfBowling
02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
* Buffalo Springfield feat Richie Furay, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, Rick Rosas, Joe Vitale

History.

TonyD
02-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Gogol Bordello is pretty much an installment at any hippie jam fest. Primus and Bootsy are nice to see.

RAZOR
02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Opeth is...so out of place.

makethemsuffer12
02-15-2011, 12:26 PM

This.

ravenheart
02-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Six bands I listen to. Pretty standard for a Bonnaroo lineup. Probably will never go as the atmosphere sounds terrible based on reports from friends.

I usually have less than that, and I listen to some jam bands! They just never all play in the same year.

Higher number of metal bands this year than normal, I'd have said. And none of them as out of place as that year Metallica headlined either.

powerslave_85
02-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Wow, even I can't find more than six bands on this bill I'd want to see. Even Coachella was a little better.

jd091
02-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Eh, not really. Its Bonnaroo. Definitely the most diverse music festival out there. Mastodon and Metallica have been on it in the past; prog metal would probably be right at home there.

Anyway, If there is any year to go to Bonnaroo for me, this would be it... I don't think it will work out, but I've always wanted to go. Widespread Panic is great. Phish would have been nice to see again, one of my favorite live bands.

And fucking OPETH?!?

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Div
02-15-2011, 12:43 PM
I just can't see young rap fans and introspective metallers enjoying the same show....

jd091
02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Opeth and the Sword. Cool.

ravenheart
02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
*Ray Lamontagne
* Explosions in the Sky
* Gregg Allman
* Warren Haynes Band
* Opeth
* The Sword

That's probably all I could confidently say I'd watch.

They really need to stop trying to get mainstream headliners though.

mastodon421
02-15-2011, 12:49 PM
* Eminem
* Arcade Fire
* Primus
* Atmosphere
* Chiddy Bang
* The Sword
* Kylesa

This is about all I would want to see. I still want to go to Bonnaroo someday, it seems like a great time

NickLed19
02-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Shit hipster lineup.

BloodoftheKings
02-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Why is it that no body mentioned Primus when going over the good bands on the lineup? :hmm:

mankvill
02-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Wow, even I can't find more than six bands on this bill I'd want to see. Even Coachella was a little better.

Really? I thought Coachella was a huge let-down this year.

For me, there's a ton of bands I'd see at 'Roo this year.

Steev
02-15-2011, 02:51 PM
* Primus
* Gogol Bordello
* Big Boi
* Gregg Allman
* Warren Haynes Band
* Opeth
* Portugal. The Man
* The Sword
* Kylesa

That's all, and some are just slight interest

smearCampaign
02-15-2011, 03:01 PM
* Widespread Panic
* The Black Keys
* Bassnectar
* Primus
* Pretty Lights
* Explosions in the Sky
* STS9
* Ratatat
* Opeth
* Atmosphere
* The Sword
* Kylesa
* Beats Antique

I would go to these. But with over 100,000 people there, Bonnaroo is too big for my tastes. There are many other cooler smaller festivals all over the country.

smokebeer420
02-15-2011, 03:28 PM
i would mind seein kylsea the sword and opeth even though im not a huge fan of opeth i think the set would be tight as fuck and really good.

evildeadjedi
02-15-2011, 04:16 PM
* Eminem
* Arcade Fire
* Widespread Panic
* The Black Keys
* String Cheese Incident
* Mumford & Sons
* The Strokes
* The Decemberists
* Primus
* Explosions in the Sky
* Gogol Bordello
* Big Boi
* Gregg Allman
* Warren Haynes Band
* Deerhunter
* Opeth
* Atmosphere
* Loretta Lynn
* Portugal. The Man
* Amos Lee
* Dm-Funk
* The Sword
* Kylesa

I wouldn't mind seeing these but, I have no desire to be at a festival with over 100,000 people.

christopher
02-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Wow, what an awesome lineup, I see at least 10 bands I would be interested in seeing

larvtard
02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
i would mind seein kylsea the sword and opeth even though im not a huge fan of opeth i think the set would be tight as fuck and really good.

you wouldn't mind?

Anyways...Bonnaroo definitely hopped on this new dubstep/hipster electronica fad. Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, Girl Talk, STS9.

MPF
02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
In a metal scene glutted with traditionalists and bandwagon jumpers, Opeth continue to create epic, iconoclastic music, inventing the rules as they go along. From the jazz-inflected rhythms and acoustic embellishments of their 1994 debut, Orchid, to the Middle Eastern flavors and stoner metal riffs of 2001’s Blackwater Park, these Swedes continue to venture where others couldn’t fathom and have returned with a treasure trove of songs for their new effort, Ghost Reveries, that makes most so-called sonic adventurists seem positively one-dimensional.

....Mmmkay

Natrlhi
02-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Why is it that no body mentioned Primus when going over the good bands on the lineup? :hmm:This.

For me, there's a ton of bands I'd see at 'Roo this year....and yet you did NOT highlight STS9. Are you asleep at the fucking keyboard, son?!?

* Eminem
* Arcade Fire
* Widespread Panic
* The Black Keys
* Mumford & Sons
* The Strokes
* The Decemberists
* Bassnectar
* Iron & Wine
* Primus
* Florence & the Machine
* Explosions in the Sky
* STS9
* Ratatat
* Deerhunter
* Opeth (Oh, why the fuck not - if I'm already there... ;))
* Matt & Kim
* Devotchka
* Neon Trees
* Portugal. The Man
* Sleigh Bells
* The Sword
* !!!
* Kylesa...but anyways, back on the primary topic, I'd be interested in seeing all of the above. I guess that makes me the most open-minded person to post in this thread yet. :cool:

idrinkwine732
02-15-2011, 07:55 PM
* Eminem
* Arcade Fire
* Widespread Panic
* The Black Keys
* String Cheese Incident
* Mumford & Sons
* The Strokes
* The Decemberists
* Primus
* Explosions in the Sky
* Gogol Bordello
* Big Boi
* Gregg Allman
* Warren Haynes Band
* Deerhunter
* Opeth
* Atmosphere
* Loretta Lynn
* Portugal. The Man
* Amos Lee
* Dm-Funk
* The Sword
* Kylesa

What now, Nat? ;)

Natrlhi
02-15-2011, 07:57 PM
What now, Nat? ;)He had 28, I have 29. :tongue:

Derelict
02-15-2011, 08:03 PM
He had 28, I have 29. :tongue:

You spent time counting both?

Natrlhi
02-15-2011, 08:10 PM
You spent time counting both?
Only after Wine called me on the carpet. I laughed when I found out I had exactly one more than Jedi. :lol:

bt11763
02-15-2011, 08:10 PM
missing a lot of great bands there. wish i could go

mankvill
02-15-2011, 09:49 PM
...and yet you did NOT highlight STS9. Are you asleep at the fucking keyboard, son?!?

I wasn't highlighting what I'd see, I was highlighting the rock/metal bands that people here would be interested in!

DethMaiden
02-15-2011, 10:14 PM
....Mmmkay

LOL

smearCampaign
02-16-2011, 08:56 AM
this new dubstep/hipster electronica fad. Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, Girl Talk, STS9.

LOL. Does it count as a new fad when all the artists you listed have played B-roo in past years? This is Bassnectar's 3rd year and the 5th year for Sound Tribe. Pretty Lights and Girl Talk both played in '09.

Natrlhi
02-16-2011, 09:55 AM
I wasn't highlighting what I'd see, I was highlighting the rock/metal bands that people here would be interested in!

:lol: Yeah, right.

That's what we love about you, Manks - you're always trying to help the other guy. You NEEEEEEVER impose your opinions on others - especially those that don't align with the "norm". You're a regular fucking paragon of selflessness and objectivity, you are.

Can somebody get this guy a medal?

:bigfinger :D (I'm feeling extra feisty today.)

evildeadjedi
02-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Only after Wine called me on the carpet. I laughed when I found out I had exactly one more than Jedi. :lol:

I think I could find another to tie it up. Can you break the tie? ;)

300%_Density
02-16-2011, 11:56 AM
My dreams of getting to see Opeth and Eminem & Loretta Lynn all on the same show have finally been realized.

Natrlhi
02-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I think I could find another to tie it up. Can you break the tie? ;)

:lol: Oh, sure. If you count "marginally passing interest" I could damn near include the entire lineup, but that wouldn't be a very genuine way to respond. I'm happy stipulating that we're both pretty damned open-minded, and leave it at that.

:fist: :brofist: :fist:

evildeadjedi
02-16-2011, 12:35 PM
:lol: Oh, sure. If you count "marginally passing interest" I could damn near include the entire lineup, but that wouldn't be a very genuine way to respond. I'm happy stipulating that we're both pretty damned open-minded, and leave it at that.

:fist: :brofist: :fist:

Works for me :)
:fist:

Butcher of Birth
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Did we use the official website for this or wolverinekills? Because he does make sure to plug himself anyway with a link to a information already posted in the thread. :bliss:

idrinkwine732
02-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Not lying, I'd go see Bassnectar and have an awesome time.

illuminatus917
02-16-2011, 09:32 PM
* Eminem
* Arcade Fire
* Widespread Panic
* The Black Keys
* My Morning Jacket
* Lil Wayne
* String Cheese Incident
* Mumford & Sons
* The Strokes
* The Decemberists
* Ray Lamontagne
* Bassnectar
* Iron & Wine
* Girl Talk
* Primus
* Dr. John and The Original Meters performing Desitively Bonnaroo
* Pretty Lights
* Florence & the Machine
* Explosions in the Sky
* STS9
* Gogol Bordello
* Beirut
* Big Boi
* Scissor Sisters
* Gregg Allman
* Ratatat
* Robyn
* Warren Haynes Band
* Deerhunter
* Opeth
* Atmosphere
* Old Crow Medicine Show
* Wiz Khalifa
* Matt & Kim
* Grace Potter & the Nocturnals
* The Del McCoury Band and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band
* Mavis Staples
* Chiddy Bang
* Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers
* Loretta Lynn
* Cold War Kids
* The Walkmen
* Devotchka
* Wanda Jackson
* Neon Trees
* Portugal. The Man
* Sleigh Bells
* Amos Lee
* Best Coast
* Dm-Funk
* The Sword
* The Drums
* The Black Angels
* School of Seven Bells
* J. Cole
* Nicole Atkins & the Black Sea
* Wavves
* !!!
* Junip
* Freelance Whales
* Justin Townes Earle
* Ryan Bingham
* Deer Tick
* Band of Skulls
* Sharon Van Etten
* Abigail Washburn
* Omar Souleyman
* Twin Shadow
* Kylesa
* Man Man
* The Low Anthem
* Alberta Cross
* Railroad Earth
* Jessica Lea Mayfield
* Smith Westerns
* The Head and the Heart
* Karen Elson
* Beats Antique
* 22-20s
* Phosphorescent
* Clare MaGuire
* Hayes Carll
* Jovanotti

A lot of these bands I haven't heard...
This'll be one badass show.

smearCampaign
02-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Not lying, I'd go see Bassnectar and have an awesome time.

Yes, yes you would. :dance:

illuminatus917
02-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Holy shit I missed a lot of bands on that list.

I'm going to have to go to this.

kornisdabomb
02-20-2011, 04:45 AM
id go for
-eminem
-primus
-widespread panic
-Robert plant
-opeth
-sword
lil wayne
-sts9
-warren haynes
-bella fleck
-sci
-sword

HandOfDoom
02-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Id go for Eminem, Arcade Fire, Primus, The Sword, Kylesa, Deerhunter, Gregg Alman,STS9, Band of Skulls, Opeth, Stephen Stills, Neil Young,Robert Pland & Band of Joy and maybe Bassnecter..not bad at all imo

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 03:36 AM
Bonnaroo is by far the worst festival I've ever been too. Never ever go, shitty location, shitty state, shitty venue, shitty vibe, shitty security, shitty cops, shitty people, shitty drugs (if that matters to you). I saw some fantastic shows this year, but I will still never EVER go back. The first 4 or 5 years Roo was around was amazing, now it's like if auswitz had bands playing.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 03:40 AM
"this new dubstep/hipster electronica fad. Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, Girl Talk, STS9."

STS9 isn't even close to dubstep....

Girltalk isn't either but he still sucks

Pretty Lights only lightly Dabbles

Bassnectar does more than pretty lights but he's not full on dubstep

Electronica includes a wide range of contemporary electronic music designed for a wide range of uses, including foreground listening, some forms of dancing, and background music for other activities; however, unlike electronic dance music, it is not specifically made for dancing. Genres such as techno, drum and bass, downtempo, and ambient are among those encompassed by the umbrella term, entering the American mainstream from "alternative" or "underground" venues during the late 1990s

Closest you'll get with that comparison would be Bassnectar cause he does a fair amount of DnB

Learn your sub-genres buddy.

jd091
12-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Wow, you certainly topped yourself. 6 month necro wasn't good enough? Let's just get a February Necro in here for good measure. Why? To bitch. Bravo, man.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I was looking up Opeth's setlist, stumbled upon this too. I'm not bitching, I'm trying to warn people of the inevitable perils that will befall on them if they go to Roo.

TonyD
12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Good to know I guess. I thought about going for 15 minutes when Mastodon and Metallica played.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeah, stay away from Bonnaroo. If it was the first 4 or 5 years I would be singing a different tune. But I've only been to one festi that I would never go back to and Bonnaroo is it.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Another terrible aspect is their scheduling, they purposely schedule bands that would draw a similar audience at the same time.

Also, the whole 100,000 people thing is bull, we set the record at 75 to 80 tops if you include bands, crew, volunteers, etc.

Natrlhi
12-02-2011, 12:36 PM
"this new dubstep/hipster electronica fad. Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, Girl Talk, STS9."

STS9 isn't even close to dubstep....

Girltalk isn't either but he still sucks

Pretty Lights only lightly Dabbles

Bassnectar does more than pretty lights but he's not full on dubstep

Electronica includes a wide range of contemporary electronic music designed for a wide range of uses, including foreground listening, some forms of dancing, and background music for other activities; however, unlike electronic dance music, it is not specifically made for dancing. Genres such as techno, drum and bass, downtempo, and ambient are among those encompassed by the umbrella term, entering the American mainstream from "alternative" or "underground" venues during the late 1990s

Closest you'll get with that comparison would be Bassnectar cause he does a fair amount of DnB

Learn your sub-genres buddy.Welcome to the forum. Since you seem to be new here, let me hip you to the situation re: electronica on here.

Most of them don't get it. They don't like it, they never will, and they won't even try to understand something they don't like.

Everything that has an electronic element to it and isn't metal is generally labeled "dubstep" by most of the non-fans on here, which is of course, laughably inaccurate. So basically, you're wasting your time trying to explain the multitude of sub-genres in the electronica family to most of the folks on here.

Closer to the original topic, your take on Bonnaroo is interesting to me. I've always wanted to go, in part because I have a great deal of love for many different kinds of music (metal is my true love, but I like lots of other stuff too). My sister-in-law and her BF have been to Roo several times, and they love it. Most other folks I have talked to feel similarly. The majority of gripes I've heard were from folks who don't seem to be able to handle the camping aspect very well.

Anyway, thanks for sharing (and don't mind JD - he's a good guy but he's also a poor college student, so his blood sugar might be a little low right about now ;)). Feel free to expand upon any specific issues you've had - I'd be interested to know the logic behind your obviously strong feelings on this fest.

jd091
12-02-2011, 12:41 PM
(and don't mind JD - he's a good guy but he's also a poor college student, so his blood sugar might be a little low right about now ;))

:hug:

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Electronica is a branch of sub genres in the overall genre of EDM (Electronic Dance Music)

Hold on a sec, it will take me a while to compile all the terrible things that relate to Bonnazoo.

illuminatus917
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
I don't know a ton about this stuff, but in my experience EBM > EDM.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Closer to the original topic, your take on Bonnaroo is interesting to me. I've always wanted to go, in part because I have a great deal of love for many different kinds of music (metal is my true love, but I like lots of other stuff too). My sister-in-law and her BF have been to Roo several times, and they love it. Most other folks I have talked to feel similarly. The majority of gripes I've heard were from folks who don't seem to be able to handle the camping aspect very well.

Anyway, thanks for sharing (and don't mind JD - he's a good guy but he's also a poor college student, so his blood sugar might be a little low right about now ;)). Feel free to expand upon any specific issues you've had - I'd be interested to know the logic behind your obviously strong feelings on this fest.

1. Almost any fest will have a multitude of genres

2. Your sis-inlaw probably went in the early years

3. That's odd, most folks that I talk to will say the same things I am.

4. Camping at Roo sucks worse than any other fest I've been to, so those people do have a right to gripe.

Now I will go into detail as to why Bonnaroo is a festi to avoid

1. Tennessee cops SUCK, they will stop at nothing to try and pull you over and search your car before and after the fest. I got pulled over three times and searched twice. First time was because the let the State Troopers hang out outside the gate and pick any car they want to search. It's like shooting fish in a barrel, they should be out busting meth labs and child molesters. My headlight was on the fritz when I was leaving, I went over a bump in the road and my headlight flickered of for a few seconds, before those few seconds were up I was being pulled over. Asks for the drivers license and all that shit, takes literally 20 mins to process it. Comes back and asks if he can search my car, I told him that an out headlight wasn't probable cause to search a vehicle. He gave me a written warning and I was on my way. 10 minutes later I was getting pulled over again. I show them my written warning for the same thing I'm being pulled over for again. Takes another 20 minutes to process, and then he comes back with 5 or 6 other cops and a dog. I just saw Widespread Panic less than an hour ago, everyone and their mother is gonna smell like something after a Panic set/fest closer. So they tell me to get out of the car. This would be a good time to tell you that I had a small bit of bud in pocket (literally a bowls worth, which is enough to land you in a Tennessee jail) and a pipe under the spare tire. All the officers but two start tearing through the car, one asks if I have anything in my pockets? I reach in there, grab my bag, take my hands out and say no. Dude starts patting me down, feels my fest map, says oh I feel something and while he was preoccupied with that I cracked my back and slipped it into my waist band. They tore the car apart, but stopped before the spare tire, so some how we got to leave with nobody going to jail. Still, fucking ridiculous and illegal on their part (I looked up if there was anything I could do about it and apparently it's a common occurrence in the deep south to not give a shit about stuff like that, and said nothing gets done about stuff like that)

2. Manchester Farm is waaaay too big, I talked to people who told me it was a 30 - 45 min walk from their tent to Centeroo (where the concerts happen)

3. Security sucks, they search people so thoroughly before letting them in Centeroo that there is always a line to get in the gate.

4. If you don't get water from one of the three fountains in Centeroo, the water tastes and smells like pure sulfur (no wonder why people die of dehydration every year)

5. There is no sense of community like there is at most other festies, I heard tons of stories about people getting their camp sites robbed while they were off seeing shows. Not many people trying to strike up conversation, neighbors kept to themselves, people weren't giving whatsoever which is usually the norm at festies, just overall neutral or negative vibes all weekend. Usually I feel more at home at a fest than my actual place of living, I was far from that at Roo.

6. If you like to party, the droogz suck, most people are just trying to rip you off. Talked to a guy who spent 70 dollars on bunk LSD so far that weekend and it was only Friday afternoon.

7. They purposely have bands that draw a similar crowd play at the same time, I get it's to try and avoid cluttering, but it still sucks to spend almost 300 bucks on a ticket and only see about 1/3 of the stuff you bought the ticket for.

8. The line up gets more and more mainstream every year.

9. Most the good bands play in the tents which don't have as good of sound as the two bigger stages.

I can think of more if that isn't enough for you.. :P

InFlamesOfBirchmen
12-02-2011, 05:53 PM
I realize this will seem like a novel question....but if I'm NOT into drugs, would it be worth going? I've always wanted to go, but one of the main reasons it seems to appeal to people is because its LSD central.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I realize this will seem like a novel question....but if I'm NOT into drugs, would it be worth going? I've always wanted to go, but one of the main reasons it seems to appeal to people is because its LSD central.

You obviously didn't read the lengthy post above you.

illuminatus917
12-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Most impressive bitching post I've ever read on this site.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Trust me, if I was bitching, I would be talking about more personal subjects related to the fest. I wouldn't have even posted that had I not been asked to.