PDA

View Full Version : High On Fire -- San Francisco, CA -- February 13th, 2011

Onioner
02-13-2011, 11:59 PM
I think this show was just a warmup for the Soundwave Festival tour, but HOF gave one hell of a show, even with only 75 mins. The openers Moses and Cold Grave weren't anything exceptional at all. However Cold Grave's drummer, this short guy who looked no older than 20, was an absolute MONSTER. His feet were wicked fast and he'd switch between hi-hat and bass pedals without missing a beat and had some really creative use of his cymbals. So props to him.

This was at Slim's, which is a really great venue. It's small and intimate, and the staff are some of the coolest I've ever met at a concert. There was no rail for the show, just the floor and stage. I was center/right and right in front of Matt the entire time. Watching the man play is an absolute privilege. His tone, that 9-string sound, and his energy is just something to behold. He was a super nice guy too. One guy next to me asked him for a pick (we were so close that we could pretty much talk to each other) to which Matt replied that he had only one. Then dude goes to the back for some water, and asks his roadie for another pick just to give to the fan. Jeff was on fire tonight too, squeezing in a ton of little bass fills here and there. Since I was so close to the stage that I was actually hearing only the sound of the amps and not the PA system, the vocals were pretty much inaudible. To be honest I really didn't care. Matt had obvious cottonmouth and I could tell he was mushmouthing the lyrics like he usually does. Seeing and hearing his guitar playing alone was worth the lack of vocals. Oh yeah, Des did his job admirably. He had way more of that signature swing that he has on the albums than he normally does live. Rumors of War was slowed down a little like it usually is, while Devilution was actually played at full speed which really surprised me since I saw them play it a bit slower in Oakland last May. Snakes For The Divine was slowed down quite a bit in the beginning actually, but Matt played the riff perfectly as a result and the band brought it back to full speed by the time the intro riff was played for the second time. All in all, this was pretty awesome. It was great that they showed love for all of their albums, even with the short set time. It's weird that Sleep played for 2 hours, while HOF only do 75 minutes, but hey, what can you do. Although not quite at the sheer level of majesty and skullfuckery of Sleep, but significantly better than the other times I've seen them, this was well worth my 18 dollars.

Also, I'm pretty sure I got the best HOF setlist I've ever seen. And no stupid encore break! Tack on Fury Whip, Cometh Down Hessian, and How Dark We Pray and I think you have the perfect High On Fire setlist.

1. Speedwolf :rocker:
2. Frost Hammer
3. Waste of Tiamat
4. Devilution
5. Fire, Flood And Plague
6. Blood From Zion
7. Hung, Drawn And Quartered :rocker:
8. Rumors of War
9. Bastard Samurai
10. Turk:D
11. Fireface :eek:
12. Snakes For The Divine

christopher
02-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Speedwolf?? Fuck yeah!! I want some more HOF

mankvill
02-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Absolute best fucking High On Fire set in years.

petrovar
02-14-2011, 04:15 AM
1. Speedwolf :rocker:

I've never even met you, but I hate you! Fuckin Speedwolf man?! Easily my favorite HOF song and I haven't heard it live in a looooooooong time. To me, the main riff is the best metal riff ever! Great set overall, you are right. Hopefully it stays in place for a while.

TonyD
02-14-2011, 09:44 AM
How did I not know about this?

NickLed19
02-14-2011, 10:37 AM
If only they played 10,000 Years.

BlackmoreOfBowling
02-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure I got the best HOF setlist I've ever seen. And no stupid encore break! Tack on Fury Whip, Cometh Down Hessian, and How Dark We Pray and I think you have the perfect High On Fire setlist.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner

bigguytoo9
02-14-2011, 04:29 PM
should be Rumors Of War then RIGHT into Turk...

such a great set this time around, saw them at a Pre-Snakes album show and the new stuff was great. Ive yet to see them since, that was just over a year ago.

idrinkwine732
02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
I didn't go to this on the grounds that this setlist would be the exact same as the earlier oens. Now I'm pissed.

bobbie solo
02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
need to see this band again!!!!

Natrlhi
02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I've never even met you, but I hate you! Fuckin Speedwolf man?! Easily my favorite HOF song and I haven't heard it live in a looooooooong time. To me, the main riff is the best metal riff ever! Great set overall, you are right. Hopefully it stays in place for a while.You must not have gone to see them at the Grog Shop when they toured in 2007 for Death Is This Communion (that was the tour where Mono opened for them, I think). I know they played Speedwolf that night.

...and just to piss you off - it was fucking awesome. :fingers: ;)

BlindGuardian93
02-15-2011, 10:25 AM
im pissed i didnt catch them

petrovar
02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
You must not have gone to see them at the Grog Shop when they toured in 2007 for Death Is This Communion (that was the tour where Mono opened for them, I think). I know they played Speedwolf that night.

...and just to piss you off - it was fucking awesome. :fingers: ;)

I did miss that show, and I guess I deserve that for fuckin with you about the Clutch show...lol

BornForBurning
03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Slims normally has a rail 2 feet away from the stage. Did they take it down?

idrinkwine732
03-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Slims normally has a rail 2 feet away from the stage. Did they take it down?

They take the rail down for select shows, and I'm guessing, this show was one of those.