PDA

View Full Version : Hanneman hospitalized. Slayer to tour with guest guitarist

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
02-13-2011, 07:21 AM
http://www.slayerized.com/whatsnew/2011/02/jeff-hanneman-hospitalized-guest-guitarist-to-play-soundwave-festival/

Crionics
02-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Damn, my hero, I really hope he'll be fine. Get well soon, Jeff! :horns:

makethemsuffer12
02-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Maybe they'll get someone who will...you know, not play sloppy.

idrinkwine732
02-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Maybe they'll get someone who will...you know, not play sloppy.

This is Hanneman, not King. Hanneman is less of a mess.

DethMaiden
02-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I was gonna say, the solos are going to be even more off than usual. ;)

Sepultura69
02-13-2011, 08:52 AM
I wonder who the Guest Guitarist will be??? That would be funny if they get Kirk Hammet to fill in.

JRA
02-13-2011, 09:20 AM
:eek:

El Gordo
02-13-2011, 09:27 AM
I wonder who the Guest Guitarist will be??? That would be funny if they get Kirk Hammet to fill in.

Nah, Hammett tends to play in a key.

Get well soon Jeff!

powerslave_85
02-13-2011, 09:32 AM
A spider bite? Metal.

Sepultura69
02-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Nah, Hammett tends to play in a key.

Get well soon Jeff!

I know, but still.....The thought of Hammet on stage with the rest of the band shredding into songs like "Postmortem", "Disciple", "South Of heaven" would be pretty hilarious and worth watching on the youtube, if you ask me.

Northern_Shaman
02-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Wow, hope he recovers ASAP. I'm guessing they'll get someone from a Slayer tribute band to fill in.

DisposableJustice
02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Wow that sucks I hope he gets better in time for the Big 4....I am glad they went a head and are doing the shows instead of canceling them which was a huge problem the last 2 years with Tom's back recovery

Although a spider bite has to be the most metal injury I have heard out:rocker:

Dextrimental
02-13-2011, 12:51 PM
My money is on Gary Holt for the replacement.

makethemsuffer12
02-13-2011, 12:59 PM
This is Hanneman, not King. Hanneman is less of a mess.

Bullshit. King is spot on every night. From watching recent performances of the band you can tell that King's playing, in terms of picking, is much more accurate and precise than Hanneman's.

El Gordo
02-13-2011, 02:34 PM
I know, but still.....The thought of Hammet on stage with the rest of the band shredding into songs like "Postmortem", "Disciple", "South Of heaven" would be pretty hilarious and worth watching on the youtube, if you ask me.

It would be funny as hell... I mean he looks out of place on stage with Hetfield and whoever happens to be the current Metallica bassist at the time simply because he looks like such a bitch and his stage presence is so much less... "manly" than the others'. Put him on stage with King and Araya and he might sprout breasts!

ravenheart
02-13-2011, 04:32 PM
My money is on Gary Holt for the replacement.

That'd be worth seeing.

Dextrimental
02-13-2011, 04:35 PM
That'd be worth seeing.

It would, he'd be perfect for the role as far as I can see.

christopher
02-13-2011, 05:18 PM
It's definitely going to be weird seeing Slayer without Jeff and his jersey:lol: I really like the idea of Gary Holt being the replacement.

El Gordo
02-13-2011, 05:52 PM
The absolute best replacement would be Piotr from Vader. He's more Slayer than Slayer!

idrinkwine732
02-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Bullshit. King is spot on every night. From watching recent performances of the band you can tell that King's playing, in terms of picking, is much more accurate and precise than Hanneman's.

Hanneman > King

larvtard
02-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Hanneman > King

Well, no shit. But it is true that Hanneman has recently been sucking ass live. He ruined the "Seasons in the Abyss" solo :(:(:(:(

hellawaits77ny
02-13-2011, 10:42 PM

Agreed. Jeff play's many of his solo's quite sloppily the last few years.

This disease isn't something than can be recovered from quickly. And they're talking about doing a skin graft, that supposedly takes a month to recover. I'm concerned it would affect his playing, even after surgery.

And they tour Europe in March. I don't see him being back for that. But hey, I'm a pessimist. Hope he recovers well and stay's healthy.

makethemsuffer12
02-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Well, no shit. But it is true that Hanneman has recently been sucking ass live. He ruined the "Seasons in the Abyss" solo :(:(:(:(

EXACTLY. I know King plays random messes of solos too, but at least he plays the same random messes that he recorded on the damn album, and precisely as well.

Sepultura69
02-15-2011, 11:24 AM
While Hanneman's doctors were not able to definitively identify the infection's origin, they diagnosed necrotizing fasciitis, and indicated it likely was rooted in a spider bite.

I can see it already. NEW SLAYER SONG: Necrotizing Fasciitis :lol:

TonyD
02-15-2011, 12:01 PM
No word on who it's gonna be yet?

Derelict
02-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Good call on Gary Holt

TonyD
02-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Yep Blabbermouth confirms

Dextrimental
02-16-2011, 03:25 AM
Ha, I feel smart :D

ravenheart
02-16-2011, 03:42 AM
I kinda want Slayer to book some UK dates without Jeff now :eyes:

Actually, if Kerry could sit out too and someone like Jeff Waters could take his place, I'd be excited about seeing Slayer again.

Dextrimental
02-16-2011, 05:18 AM
I kinda want Slayer to book some UK dates without Jeff now :eyes:

Actually, if Kerry could sit out too and someone like Jeff Waters could take his place, I'd be excited about seeing Slayer again.

I'm honestly very surprised European Carnage isn't doing a UK/IRL leg. I am guessing that Slayer will come over here over Sonisphere weekend, as they haven't been here in four years this year. Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing them once with a replacement. However, once would be enough for me :P

ravenheart
02-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Right now, if Slayer booked some dates with Gary Holt in the UK, I'd go see them.

If they wait for Jeff to come back then book some, I probably won't.

I saw them last year anyway.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
02-16-2011, 08:01 AM
What's with all the Kerry King bashing? He is Slayer. Wild-ass solos and all. It's not like slayer have ever been a technical band. They've always been a band that could ride off the rails at any minute. Including Lombardo. That's what I love about them.

Sepultura69
02-16-2011, 08:06 AM
What's with all the Kerry King bashing? He is Slayer. Wild-ass solos and all. It's not like slayer have ever been a technical band. They've always been a band that could ride off the rails at any minute. Including Lombardo. That's what I love about them.

:fist:

ravenheart
02-16-2011, 08:43 AM
I just don't think there's any room for sloppy playing.

OK when you're playing brand new material the first few times, or you're a young, inexperienced band. But when you're genre-defining veterans like Slayer who have been doing it for years there's not really any excuse.

I can't comment on whether Kerry has improved in recent years because the show I saw last year was a festival and I wasn't close enough to be able to tell. But I would honestly be more excited about seeing them with, for example, Gary Holt and Jeff Waters than I would with Hanneman and/or Kerry at the moment.

Someone who takes a step or two around the stage would be an immediate improvement!

DisposableJustice
02-16-2011, 09:44 AM
It'll be interesting to see if any good audio/video footage comes from the aussie dates to see how Gary does with the solos; I have noticed that Jeff has been sloppy/lazy on some of his solos (see Chemical Warfare or Seasons in the Abyss from the Big 4 DVD)

But Jeff is a staple and I hope he recovers

davidis138
02-16-2011, 12:34 PM
It'll be interesting to see if any good audio/video footage comes from the aussie dates to see how Gary does with the solos

Agreed. I'm definitely looking forward to some youtube stuff

christopher
02-24-2011, 05:24 PM
My friend ran into King and he said Jeff is recovering fast, so I'm not sure how long Holt will be the replacement

hellawaits77ny
02-24-2011, 08:07 PM
My friend ran into King and he said Jeff is recovering fast, so I'm not sure how long Holt will be the replacement

Good to hear. Slayer is set to hit Europe starting in late March, right? His original prognosis was 1 month for recovery, which would put him back on stage by then. Hopefully the recovery is going as planned.

Dextrimental
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Man, I sorta wish I could catch one show with Gary Holt, just so I can hear those solos played PERFECTLY like on record, or at least have some proper improvisation on them. I love Jeff, and Slayer, but for gods sake, at least play your own solos the right way!

DisposableJustice
02-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Man, I sorta wish I could catch one show with Gary Holt, just so I can hear those solos played PERFECTLY like on record, or at least have some proper improvisation on them. I love Jeff, and Slayer, but for gods sake, at least play your own solos the right way!

This, if for the only reason to hear a different take on the solos; I said earlier in the thread that I hope some good quality audio and/or video footage comes from these upcoming shows to see if a) he follows the solos as they were written or b) throw in his own flare into them

brutal_descent
02-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Gary Holt, sweet. I'm seeing Slayer with Megadeth March 15th - I'll let you guys know how he does. :cool: