PDA

View Full Version : Favorite animation studio?

DethMaiden
02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Just curious.

My pick would have been Pixar for the longest time but I'm reaaaaaally coming around to Studio Ghibli, especially Hayao Miyazaki's stuff. I haven't seen everything they've done, but I'm working on it. If you don't think My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away are completely magical, fuck you.

Vote!

mastodon421
02-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Pixar by far for me. They(for the most part) put out really good films and I don't see their reign on animation ending anytime soon.

Div
02-09-2011, 12:37 PM
so brad's into anime now? spirited away was good, and i guess someone who doesnt watch alot of that stuff would think its really bizzard in some parts. its kind of immature compared to other movies like akira or metropolis tho, check those out.

DethMaiden
02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't say I'm "into anime." Miyazaki's art style is pretty fucking different from the serialized stuff, and the overall feel of his movies is a lot more enchanting

Then there's Grave of the Fireflies, which is just gritty and real and dark and painful which rules in its own way.

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Just curious.

My pick would have been Pixar for the longest time but I'm reaaaaaally coming around to Studio Ghibli, especially Hayao Miyazaki's stuff. I haven't seen everything they've done, but I'm working on it. If you don't think My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away are completely magical, fuck you.

Vote!

I actually saw Howl's Moving Castle a few months ago and enjoyed. I admittedly wasn't paying much attention because I thought it was "a stupid anime movie" but by the end, I really liked it. Didn't know it was Miyazaki. I'll have to rewatch, and then watch the two you mentioned.

ChildrenofSodom
02-09-2011, 06:10 PM
My pick for animation studio: whoever made Ultimate Avengers.

BloodoftheKings
02-09-2011, 06:15 PM
I hate anime but I thought Spirited Away and Ponyo were good movies.

Div
02-09-2011, 09:01 PM
People pass up so many good stories because of the stereotypes that to read that shit you gotta be some kind of japanophile. Ill admit theres alot of lame anime stuff out there, but the good stuff is good. Japanese culture sort of glorifies introversion, as opposed to western culture, so you get alot of stories that deal with psychology and self awareness, and strong character development is always a main focal point. It makes an interesting alternative to american comics, but you gotta like reading and be cool with black and white art styles.

I suggest reading some of the series aimed at mature audiences like Homunculus (http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/?preview=manga_Homunculus), Vagabond (http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/?preview=manga_Vagabond) or Monster (http://www.thespectrum.net/manga_scans/?preview=manga_Monster) if you want to check it out.

Dextrimental
02-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Gotta be Disney for me. Those stories continue to captivate me on many levels, and alot of them bear a very personal resonance for me. That being said, They all have movies I adore, Spirited Away would easily make a top 20 movie list for me.

SomewhereInTime72
02-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Madhouse. :(

zgodt
08-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Studio Ghibli is great, but Pixar keeps putting out some of the smartest and most daring commercially-viable movies around. The Cars franchise notwithstanding.

powerslave_85
08-02-2011, 08:58 PM
My one major beef with Pixar is their lack of female characters. Hopefully Brave will do something to improve that.

ShatteredFlame
08-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Cars 2 was the most disappointing movie of my life.

Seriously Pixar what the fuck was that? :(

masterguy49
08-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Cars 2 was the most disappointing movie of my life.

Seriously Pixar what the fuck was that? :(
Cars 1 blew anyways, so what ya expect?

I fucking love Pixar, I grew up with them and every movie they put out(Cars series not existing) I love.

zgodt
08-03-2011, 05:07 AM
My one major beef with Pixar is their lack of female characters. Hopefully Brave will do something to improve that.

I agree. I am hopeful about that movie.

ShatteredFlame
08-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Cars 1 blew anyways, so what ya expect?

It was decent. It actually tried to have a meaning with big business versus small business, Cars 2 however had absolutely nothing.

ravenheart
08-03-2011, 07:40 AM
So this is "favourite animation studio of the three major players and the one Anime studio Brad knows"? ;) :finger:

masterguy49
08-03-2011, 08:58 PM
So this is "favourite animation studio of the three major players and the one Anime studio Brad knows"? ;) :finger:

:lol: Well Studio Ghibli is fairly popular :tongue:

It was decent. It actually tried to have a meaning with big business versus small business, Cars 2 however had absolutely nothing.
I guess, but I just never really loved the characters in Car making it just uninteresting to me. To me, Pixar has always been about the characters.