PDA

View Full Version : 2011.....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

hb420
02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
One month in, what new releases have you herd so far and like? So far I'm really liking the new crowbar and burzum.

IrritatedTrout
02-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Haven't heard anything yet but I'm looking forward to the new Motorhead next week.

ShatteredFlame
02-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light 1 (If you like Earth then of course you will like this release, another western-doom sounding album...now with a cello)

Glassjaw - Our Color Green EP (Damn good release, every song on here kills. Especially "You Think You're John Fucking Lennon")

Noisear - Subvert the Dominant Paradigm (Incredible grind release. I wasn't a fan of their old stuff but this release really blew me away. Even the 20 minute noise track at the end is awesome!)

Shpongle - The God Particle EP (Not as insane sounding as their other stuff, it's more focused. I would argue that it doesn't really sound like them at all here. But even so, these 2 tracks are really nice sounding and I had them on a loop for about an hour, something kept drawing me back)

Wadge - Grindcore Lu'au (It's grindcore with traditional Hawaiian style lu'au influences. Check it out for the novelty!)

Other stuff I listened to:
Burzum - Fallen (The clean vocals made it catchy but I am just not the black metal type)
Thomas Giles - Pulse (BTBAM member solo project. It's alright. The main problem I have with this is that when it's good, it sounds like Combichrist, which just made me wanna listen to Combichrist. Another thing is he uses a bunch of different styles, acoustic stuff to electronic but in the end it always sounded like something I've heard before)
Macabre - Grim Scary Tales (Terrible. I deleted this after like the 3rd song)

christopher
02-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah that new Macabre is terrible. The Big Bad Wolf song is funny, but overall its their worst record

idrinkwine732
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will: Mogwai cannot disappoint
Falkenbach - Tiurida: Great
Mitochondrion - Parasignosis: Good but not great.

jhdeity
02-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light 1 (If you like Earth then of course you will like this release, another western-doom sounding album...now with a cello)

Glassjaw - Our Color Green EP (Damn good release, every song on here kills. Especially "You Think You're John Fucking Lennon")

Noisear - Subvert the Dominant Paradigm (Incredible grind release. I wasn't a fan of their old stuff but this release really blew me away. Even the 20 minute noise track at the end is awesome!)

Shpongle - The God Particle EP (Not as insane sounding as their other stuff, it's more focused. I would argue that it doesn't really sound like them at all here. But even so, these 2 tracks are really nice sounding and I had them on a loop for about an hour, something kept drawing me back)

Wadge - Grindcore Lu'au (It's grindcore with traditional Hawaiian style lu'au influences. Check it out for the novelty!)

Other stuff I listened to:
Burzum - Fallen (The clean vocals made it catchy but I am just not the black metal type)
Thomas Giles - Pulse (BTBAM member solo project. It's alright. The main problem I have with this is that when it's good, it sounds like Combichrist, which just made me wanna listen to Combichrist. Another thing is he uses a bunch of different styles, acoustic stuff to electronic but in the end it always sounded like something I've heard before)
Macabre - Grim Scary Tales (Terrible. I deleted this after like the 3rd song)

I'm with ya on Glassjaw. I've had the Lennnon song for a while now but it gets better with every listen.

I'd have to add Times of Grace. I only like half of it to this point but the songs I like, I REALLY like.

Sucks I'm missing them tonight but my car in ice storms sucks balls.

mastodon421
02-01-2011, 05:45 PM
I've only heard two records so far, Times Of Grace and Thomas Giles. Both are great. I need to check out new Lazarus A.D and I am eagerly awaiting a bunch of stuff fpr the rest of this month and March.

DethMaiden
02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I've heard a bunch already but my favorites have been the new efforts from Woods of Desolation, Thomas Giles, Evergrey and Falkenbach.

EDIT: Oh, and The Decemberists album is good, though I doubt if it'll remain in contention come year-end list time.

idrinkwine732
02-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Woods of Desolation

How was that?

DethMaiden
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
How was that?

My 11 months early AOTY. :lol: Seriously, if you like WITTR, Winterfylleth, Wodensthrone and Burzum, get the fuck on it.

idrinkwine732
02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
My 11 months early AOTY. :lol: Seriously, if you like WITTR, Winterfylleth, Wodensthrone and Burzum, get the fuck on it.

I don't know man, I don't know if that statement is glowing enough for me to get interested.

:cool:

BloodoftheKings
02-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I just downloaded Macabre's Grim Scary Tales, this is gonna be the first 2011 album I listen to.

larvtard
02-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I need to check out new Lazarus A.D

:axe:

I will rape your dog.

jhdeity
02-01-2011, 11:56 PM
I've only heard two records so far, Times Of Grace and Thomas Giles. Both are great. I need to check out new Lazarus A.D and I am eagerly awaiting a bunch of stuff fpr the rest of this month and March.

I hate to say it but Lazarus AD has been my bigggest letdown so far in 2011. What drew me to them was the speed and thrash 80's style and this cd is severly lacking that. Some of the songs might grow on me but I was hoping they would go more Kill Em All rather than Black Album.

Maiden33
02-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Evergrey - Glorious Collision
Hibria - Blind Ride
Stratovarius - Elysium
Mr. Big - What If?

Have heard about 5 more, but those 4 were my favorites.

jhdeity
02-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Evergrey - Glorious Collision
Hibria - Blind Ride
Stratovarius - Elysium
Mr. Big - What If?

Have heard about 5 more, but those 4 were my favorites.

When is Evergrey supposed to come out? I really like what I've heard

mastodon421
02-02-2011, 05:56 AM
I hate to say it but Lazarus AD has been my bigggest letdown so far in 2011. What drew me to them was the speed and thrash 80's style and this cd is severly lacking that. Some of the songs might grow on me but I was hoping they would go more Kill Em All rather than Black Album.

I loved The Onslaught too, it was one of the best modern thrash records I have heard. I have heard mixed things about Black Rivers Flow, but I am going to listen to it anyways.

treghet
02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
The only new album I've listened to so far was Mother of Mercy and it was pretty damn good. I'm going to get caught up with a bunch of other stuff this weekend.

hb420
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
The new deicide hit the web, but its low quality. sounds great so far tho

ShatteredFlame
02-02-2011, 10:15 AM
So I've been listening to Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All for the last couple of hours. At first I didn't think the first 2 tracks were so hot but then the album started to get incredibly good at the 3rd track and then so on it has some great parts but others were lacking. After a good couple of listens, the only problem I have with this release is the vocals. They are not powerful enough. The album switches from a lot of different styles from technical death metal to atmospheric sludge/post-metal type soundscapes but it never seems forced. I recommend it to any extreme metal fans out there (and I'm not talking about shitty Lamb of God extreme).

jhdeity
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
You can add Onslaught - Sounds of Violence to my list. Now this is what I was expecting from Lazarus AD. The song Bomber with Phil Campbell and Tom Angelripper would definitely appeal to Motorhead fans too.

The 1st cd I've heard in 2011 that might crack my Top 10 at years end.

treghet
02-02-2011, 10:35 AM
So I've been listening to Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All for the last couple of hours. At first I didn't think the first 2 tracks were so hot but then the album started to get incredibly good at the 3rd track and then so on it has some great parts but others were lacking. After a good couple of listens, the only problem I have with this release is the vocals. They are not powerful enough. The album switches from a lot of different styles from technical death metal to atmospheric sludge/post-metal type soundscapes but it never seems forced. I recommend it to any extreme metal fans out there (and I'm not talking about shitty Lamb of God extreme).

That's on my list of albums to check out. I heard a couple songs and thought they were awesome.

Maiden33
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
When is Evergrey supposed to come out? I really like what I've heard

February 8th in Japan, and I believe the 22nd in most other places.

makethemsuffer12
02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I loved The Onslaught too, it was one of the best modern thrash records I have heard. I have heard mixed things about Black Rivers Flow, but I am going to listen to it anyways.

I've said this before but I think it's a great album. I definitely appreciate the fact they are trying something different, especially considering this is only their second album.

ravenheart
02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Heard:

Crowbar
Onslaught
Lazarus A.D.
Evergrey
Overdrive
The New Black
Bullet
Pushking
TNT
Artas

Got, to listen to yet:

Destruction
Emerald Sun
Heathendom
Assassin
Jag Panzer
Shakra
Oliver Weers
Infinity Overture
Ihresgleichen
Voodoo Circle
Sideburn
Vinder
Mercenary
Havok

Like so far:

Onslaught (not that it sounds like an Onslaught album)
Overdrive
Pushking
TNT (apart from three really shitty tracks)
Crowbar

And really digging Hour of 13, but I think that came out in North America last year?

ravenheart
02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
February 8th in Japan, and I believe the 22nd in most other places.

28th here. Which probably means 25th in central Europe.

ravenheart
02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
The song Bomber with Phil Campbell and Tom Angelripper would definitely appeal to Motorhead fans too.

:lol:

Troll, much?

jhdeity
02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Heard:

Crowbar
Onslaught
Lazarus A.D.
Evergrey
Overdrive
The New Black
Bullet
Pushking
TNT
Artas

Got, to listen to yet:

Destruction
Emerald Sun
Heathendom
Assassin
Jag Panzer
Shakra
Oliver Weers
Infinity Overture
Ihresgleichen
Voodoo Circle
Sideburn
Vinder
Mercenary
Havok

Like so far:

Onslaught (not that it sounds like an Onslaught album)
Overdrive
Pushking
TNT (apart from three really shitty tracks)
Crowbar

And really digging Hour of 13, but I think that came out in North America last year?

I thought the same thing about Onslaught. Maybe my expectations were too low but I was like WHO IS THIS? Loving it so far.

Listening to Crowbar now. I've always liked them and this album fits the mold. Nothing earth shattering but solid music that would be fun to jam out to live

ravenheart
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I thought the same thing about Onslaught. Maybe my expectations were too low but I was like WHO IS THIS? Loving it so far.

It sounds like Exodus.

jhdeity
02-02-2011, 02:04 PM
It sounds like Exodus.

Good call. I think I like it more than the last Exodus cd though. It's faster and I'm all about speed. hahaha

I'm also all about ungodly slow and the further I get into Crowbar the more I'm liking it. They do sloooooooow better than just about anyone.

I didn't hear Hour of 13 until 2011 also and I can't wrap my head around it. At it's best it reminds me of Sabotage-era Sabbath but some other songs just don't grab me.

ravenheart
02-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Good call. I think I like it more than the last Exodus cd though. It's faster and I'm all about speed. hahaha

Well, you know, apart from that one track which sounds like Motorhead ;)

jhdeity
02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Well, you know, apart from that one track which sounds like Motorhead ;)

No doubt. Is that a bonus track or something? It's weird to have a song after the "Outro"

As average as that song is it would probably be one of the best songs on the last Motorhead cd to me.

DethMaiden
02-02-2011, 05:41 PM
New Earth album streaming here: http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=133245988&m=133243717

It fucking rules.

larvtard
02-02-2011, 06:48 PM
I definitely appreciate the fact they are trying something different, especially considering this is only their second album.

I understand why bands may want to evolve, but this is not an evolution by any means. They totally changed their sound. Fuck, if you're gonna drastically change that much, at least make it good. They went went from groove-thrash to radio hard rock. But I don't think I'm gonna change your mind at this point... I just wanted to rant.

BloodoftheKings
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I listened to the new Macabre. Not sure if anyone else on here even listens to them but I think it's pretty good. There is alot of clean vocals on this album suprisingly. The best song is Black Knight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIutKirXpa8) I suggest you guys check it out it you have never heard of this band.

NecroRob
02-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Owen Hart - Earth Control - Awesome
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will - Awesome
Abysmal Dawn - Leveling the Plane of Existance - Kinda meh. Has some good songs.

jhdeity
02-02-2011, 07:49 PM
I understand why bands may want to evolve, but this is not an evolution by any means. They totally changed their sound. Fuck, if you're gonna drastically change that much, at least make it good. They went went from groove-thrash to radio hard rock. But I don't think I'm gonna change your mind at this point... I just wanted to rant.

That pretty much sums it up perfectly. I had really high expectations too

ravenheart
02-03-2011, 02:02 PM
No doubt. Is that a bonus track or something? It's weird to have a song after the "Outro"

As average as that song is it would probably be one of the best songs on the last Motorhead cd to me.

Yes, it's a bonus track for the special edition. And was recently released as a charity double a-side single (probably raised about $3 ;))

And dude, it's a Motorhead cover. Come on! :lol: It's only the title track from one of their most popular trio of albums. Played at every show without fail. Namesake of their massively famous lighting rig. That's all. :lol: Tell me you knew that.

And yes, like more or less all early Motorhead, it is incredibly average.

jhdeity
02-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes, it's a bonus track for the special edition. And was recently released as a charity double a-side single (probably raised about $3 ;))

And dude, it's a Motorhead cover. Come on! :lol: It's only the title track from one of their most popular trio of albums. Played at every show without fail. Namesake of their massively famous lighting rig. That's all. :lol: Tell me you knew that.

And yes, like more or less all early Motorhead, it is incredibly average.

hahaha. I thought it sounded familiar. That's too funny. The messed up thing is as average as it is it's still better than the last motorhead album. I didn't like 1 song personally on either of their last 2 albums. To each his own though. I'm sure Lemmy is huge over there but over here on the east coast he can't sell out a 500 capacity club. He sold less than 300 last time and he had a great opener if I recall. People on here seem to worship him for some reason though...

ravenheart
02-03-2011, 04:47 PM
hahaha. I thought it sounded familiar. That's too funny. The messed up thing is as average as it is it's still better than the last motorhead album. I didn't like 1 song personally on either of their last 2 albums. To each his own though. I'm sure Lemmy is huge over there but over here on the east coast he can't sell out a 500 capacity club. He sold less than 300 last time and he had a great opener if I recall. People on here seem to worship him for some reason though...

Yep, plays 5,000 capacity venues here. They're an institution.

The last two Motorhead albums were average (for Motorhead, so that's still better than most). The two before that were superb. And several of the '90s albums were too. Hit and miss in the '80s.

makethemsuffer12
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Whoaaaaa slow down there buddy. You can't possibly think that Black Rivers Flow sounds like Creed, Nickelback, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, etc.

larvtard
02-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Whoaaaaa slow down there buddy. You can't possibly think that Black Rivers Flow sounds like Creed, Nickelback, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, etc.

Nah, not exactly like them, but the new record sounds more like those bands than it sounds like The Onslaught. But I was going more along the lines of Disturbed, heavier Shinedown, maybe even some Slipknot.

treghet
02-03-2011, 08:03 PM
For those interested, the new DevilDriver album has leaked.

mastodon421
02-04-2011, 04:59 AM
For those interested, the new DevilDriver album has leaked.

I downloaded it last night, I haven't gotten the chance to listen the whole thing yet, but i am digging it so far.

ShatteredFlame
02-05-2011, 08:43 PM
new Korpiklaani sucks

how's that DevilDriver? I have never cared to listen to them before. Is that a good place to start with them?

idrinkwine732
02-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Yo Brad, I looked for that Woods of Desolation, and I couldn't find it. Did it leak or did you use some of your wizarding magic to get it?

DethMaiden
02-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Wizarding. Ravenheart has taught me much in the ways of listening to that which has yet to be listened to. ;)

idrinkwine732
02-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Wizarding. Ravenheart has taught me much in the ways of listening to that which has yet to be listened to. ;)
nvm

Well...

...fine...

treghet
02-05-2011, 10:01 PM
new Korpiklaani sucks

how's that DevilDriver? I have never cared to listen to them before. Is that a good place to start with them?

Were you a fan of Korpiklaani before?

And the new DevilDriver bored me, with the exception of a few songs. If you want to get into them I recommend listening to The Last Kind Words or The Fury of Our Maker's Hand.

daimonos
02-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Haven't heard a single album from 2011 yet. Unless you count the new Ghost, Electric Wizard, and Deathspell Omega. But those don't count, I guess.

Am I missing anything ridiculously awesome yet?

ShatteredFlame
02-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Were you a fan of Korpiklaani before?

Somewhat, there a couple songs from each album that I like but I never cared for a full album from them. This new one however didn't have any songs that interested me. Even the single "Tequila" sounded uninspired. The album also seemed to have a more serious tone, which sucks for a band like this. In general their music is just uninteresting if it's not fun. Then the vocals suck and I really didn't like the production, I think some of the instruments sound way to low to stand out and the guitars sound muffled.

This all based on one listen though. I could change my mind later but I dunno.

treghet
02-06-2011, 12:29 AM
I just finished listening to it and I can definitely see why you don't like it. It is quite a bit more serious feeling, and I agree that "Tequila" sucks. I like both sides of their music (fun drinking songs and the more nature oriented stuff), so I don't mind that, but there are a few songs that are just boring. But then there are a few that I really enjoyed. Overall it's an alright album, but they could have done much better.

JLRedWing13
02-07-2011, 07:54 AM
This year is off to a good start.

ShatteredFlame
02-13-2011, 10:05 AM
lets see what I checked out this week:

Celldweller - Cellout EP 01 - I'm probably the only one on here that listens to Celldweller. For metal fans I recommend the songs "The Last Firstborn" and "One Good Reason", awesome artist and I highly recommend his debut album. The problem with him is that he releases tons of remixes of his stuff, if you have the patience to check them all out, you will probably find a gem in there somewhere. This EP contains 3 remix songs hes been playing live, while I would love to see him live on CD these are nothing special.

Most Precious Blood - Do Not Resuscitate - Decent hardcore. Probably better live than on CD.

Graf Orlock - Doombox EP - Pretty good grindcore. I haven't listened to any release previous to this one but from what I understand, they have a new singer. The problem fans have with him is he sounds more suited for 90s hardcore like Fang, I could see what they're saying. The vocals actually manage to stand out more than anything else at times and I am feeling like I am listening to a hardcore record rather than a grindcore one. But overall I really dig this short EP.

Vreid - V - Another good record from these ex-Windir members. It contains some interesting influences from a bunch of genres but it never sounds forced and to experimental for its own good like a lot of black metal bands have been doing recently...Ihsahn...Nachtmystium. Vreid know what they're doing and the music they make is pretty great.

Dornenreich - Flammentriebe - I've only previously checked out one Dornenreich album, i remember that one being more on the avant-garde metal side. This one is more darker. Melodic black metal is their top tag but I don't really think that it quite fits the style of this album. Progressive black metal sounds about right. This album reminds me a lot of Shining (Swedish) actually, in terms of the harsh vocals but they are not nearly as over the top. The album has a lot of nice influences including classical and post-rock type stuff, which I love. Pretty damn good record.

idrinkwine732
02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Vreid - V - Another good record from these ex-Windir members. It contains some interesting influences from a bunch of genres but it never sounds forced and to experimental for its own good like a lot of black metal bands have been doing recently...Ihsahn...Nachtmystium. Vreid know what they're doing and the music they make is pretty great.

I'm listening right now and it's really freakin' good. Only about a month and a half in and I have maybe two or three albums that would fit comfortably in last years top 25 or so.

ShatteredFlame
02-13-2011, 11:29 AM
I personally didn't really care for last year too much but this year is starting off pretty great, and a lot of my favorite bands are releasing stuff which makes me excited for what's to come.

If you like that Vreid album than I recommend that Dornenreich one.

daimonos
02-13-2011, 12:50 PM
only album I've heard is Insult by Grave Desecrator, a black/death/thrash band from Brazil on Hell's Headbangers records. Pretty good stuff. I need to pick up Belphegor whenever I get a chance, if it's anywhere near as awesome as Walpurgis Rites then I know I'll love it. Same goes for Vreid.

hb420
02-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Anyone hear the new inquisition its fuckin great! :rocker:

LAXdef16
02-13-2011, 07:17 PM
So far I have only heard the new Iron & Wine and Mogwai albums.

daimonos
02-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Anyone hear the new inquisition its fuckin great! :rocker:

I heard a song or two on their labels website and the sounded pretty awesome.

w00tasaurus
02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
I've enjoyed the new Destruction and Vreid the most, and Falkenbach is great too if I'm in the right mood. I really liked Iskald's as well at first, but got a little bored of it.

Definitely anticipating Vektor the most.

ShatteredFlame
02-20-2011, 05:04 AM
i like keeping updated on this thread lol...

Black Spiders - Sons of the North - This is a pretty kickass rock release. They copy bands like KISS but they still have their own rocking sound. I'm not sure how long this will interest me but for now I'd recommend it to you hardrock/stonerrock/heavymetal fans.

Glassjaw - Coloring Book EP - Only a month passes and they already put out something new! I saw these songs played live at the New Years show, then I thought it was awkward hearing new stuff this "jam" type for a band like this, but I figured the songs would grow on me on CD. I was right. The songs are more groove oriented than their usual stuff but it still contains as much anger without one scream. Glassjaw are on fire this year!

Evergrey - Glorious Collision - I'm not a fan of this band, this is the first release I have heard by them. I dunno, I gave it a try but it's just not for me. The singer shows some passion but the problem is, whenever he sings the band seems to let him have all the attention.

Devin Townsend Project - Live EP - I'm a Devin fan so of course I like it.

Sims - Bad Time Zoo - It's the first hip-hop release I have heard this year and damn is it good! I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Doomtree crew but they have some of the best hip-hop going around today! I wasn't a fan of Sims's first 2 albums, but he really stepped it up on this one. He goes for a more P.O.S direction, the hard hitting punk influenced rap. The album switches from deep Astronautalis sounding songs to the heavy P.O.S ones and it flows perfectly. I highly recommend this if you are a hip-hop fan.

Radiohead - The King of Limbs - I love this album. It's not as complex as their other albums. It takes a really laid back approach. Like there is not really much going on but it still is powerful enough to draw some sort of reaction from you. The single "Lotus Flower" in a way sounds like it shouldn't be catchy, but it is incredibly catchy. This is a damn good album if you don;t pay attention to all the hype around this band and just take the music in.

mastodon421
02-20-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm up to 7 records so far. I am really digging the new Darkest Hour, it's currently my 2nd favorite record of the year. I listened to the new Emmure for review purposes, it's the worst record I have heard in years.

w00tasaurus
02-21-2011, 11:59 AM
so whats your favorite so far, mastodon?

sorry if you've mentioned it already, I didn't notice :)

MPF
02-21-2011, 08:25 PM
I have yet to contribute so far on this one so let me give you my spin on 2011 albums I've heard so far in alphabetical order:

*this is going to be long*

Abacinate: Genesis

Pretty brutal Death Metal. Super fast drumming, heavy riffs, and punishing vocals. There is an odd sense of Melodicness in some songs. I dig it so far.

Abysmal Dawn: Leveling The Plain Of Existence

Again pretty brutal Death Metal. Some of the better Death Metal I've heard in the last few years. It brings it back to the old school Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel early Deicide years. Definitely worth checking out.

Aevum: The Creation Of Power

Very 80's sounding Power/Speed Metal mixed with Symphony X. I haven't heard this one too much yet but I really dig it a lot.

Ageless Oblivion: Temples Of Transcendent Evolution

This is very heavy Technical and Brutal Death Metal. At times it sounds like mixing Triptykon, The Faceless, and Between The Buried And Me. It's another one I gotta check out more, but it is damn good.

Ajatara: Murhat

Pretty decent Black Metal. Bands like Ajatara and Watain give me a reason to enjoy Black Metal again. It's not the stereotypical Black Metal, it's actually varied, but all the great elements of Black Metal as well. It's a rare one, but one to check out.

Architects: The Here And Now

Meh...next.

Belphegor: Blood Magik Necromance

What's not to like? It's pretty standard Belphegor, but that's what I expect out of them, evil, heavy, and epic.

Cake: Showroom Of Compassion

Yes I am fan of the band Cake. It's hard not to be if your not a br00tal Metal fan. This album was worth the long wait. Classic Rock mixed with Blues, Alternative and Electronica. For Cake, it's a great combination.

A Call To Arms: A Call To Arms EP

Finally a Deathcore band that isn't shitty. It's probably because they aren't straight up Deathcore. The vocals have that Deathcore element, and there are breakdowns on every song. But like bands like All Shall Perish, there is much more substance to them. Representing a lot of different styles of Metal throughout. It's pretty heavy shit, but really damn good.

Darkest Hour: The Human Romance

Easily makes The Eternal Return look like a steaming pile of shit. Its some of the best music they have ever made. I went into this record expected to be letdown. As of right now it's one of the best albums I've heard in 2011.

Demonlord: Only The Dead Are Safe

Not nearly as Satanic as you would imagine. It's pretty damn good Power Metal. Again it sounds very 80's Power Metal but these guys do it right. It's a bit cheesy at times but it's a fun listen. I'd almost say a good Metal party album.

Falkenbach- Tiurda

Very Agalloch inspired, but sooo damn good. It's a bit more Folkish then Agalloch but the resemblance is there. It's another album I gotta sit down with but I love it so far.

Hibira: Blind Ride

Very damn impressive Power Metal. It's like if you mixed Nevermore, Iced Earth, and Edguy.I'm really digging this one a lot. I highly recommend it.

Hotel Of The Laughing Tree: Terror And Everything After

Another one of the bands that the non Tr00 Metal fans will have to appreciate. This is from a great Alternative Rock band who adds a tad bit of Rush to their style that I really like. It's definitely not brutal but it's a great album. If you dare to be adventurous, I'd recommend this album a lot.

Lazarus A.D.: Black Rivers Flow

At first I had no idea what to make of this album, what happened to the constant thrashing and relentless Metal thrown around? But after my 3rd listen I realized, this is a fucking fantastic album. It doesn't need to be a fury of riffs all the time to make it Metal. Melody never hurt a band, and it's going to make Lazarus A.D. that much stronger. Just you watch, especially on the next album.

Legion Of The Damned: Descent Into Chaos

One of the best Death inspired Thrash Bands going right now and this album proves it. The whole album feels like a punch in the face and it's so damn cool. I'd love to see these guys live if ever given the opportunity.

Lifelover: Sjukdom

Amazing Post Rock mixed with Black Metal, but holy fuck. It's one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard in my life. Luckily there's only singing in a few of the songs If there is an instrumental version of this album to come out, I'll but it in a heartbeat, but otherwise this singer fucking sucks balls!

Long Distance Calling: Long Distance Calling

My early contender for album of 2011. Instrumental Progressive Post Metal is the best way to describe these guys. I do feel their previous album, Avoid The Light is a bit better, but what makes this album so fucking good is the song that features John Bush of Armored Saint/Anthrax fame, Middleville. It's easily the best vocal performance he has ever done. Just listen to the chorus and you'll understand. Get this album as soon as it comes out. It is perfection, I expect no less from these guys.

Matterhorn: Volume 1: The World Began Without Man...

What would happen if Russian Circles and Torche made a Post Metal band? 'nough said!

Mogwai: Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

As much as I do like this album, I don't like it. The Instrumentals are perfection of course, but the others are not. Mogwai would be one of my top favorite bands if they lay off the vocals.

Protest The Hero- Scurrilous

My other favorite album that has come out so far that I've listened to. They brought back the best parts of Kezia, with the best of Fortress and did it right. I almost say this is PTH's best album to date!

Times Of Grace: Hymn Of The Broken Man

If Killswitch Engage kept Jesse and went with a more Post Rock approach. I love this album.

I have a lot more albums, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet including Crowbar, Destruction, Evergrey, etc. I will be getting to them soon. Maybe even tonight.

Maiden33
02-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Tentative top 5 (out of I believe 11 albums I've heard):

01 Evergrey - Glorious Collision
02 Stratovarius - Elysium
03 Hibria - Blind Ride
04 Serenity - Death and Legacy
05 Mr. Big - What If?

DethMaiden
02-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I have 40 albums in my to-listen queue for 2011 already and it's February. This year is going to be the best ever for me, mark my words.

Wizzbang11
02-21-2011, 08:58 PM

Weren't they on the Impetigo tribute Razorback did?
Wadge is possibly in my top 15 favorite band names ever, I think that's where I heard them. I don't recall the music, but something about that name is marvelous.

ShatteredFlame
02-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Lifelover: Sjukdom

Amazing Post Rock mixed with Black Metal, but holy fuck. It's one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard in my life. Luckily there's only singing in a few of the songs If there is an instrumental version of this album to come out, I'll but it in a heartbeat, but otherwise this singer fucking sucks balls!

LOL I haven't listened to this album yet but I have listened to an early release. He sings more and it sounds like some drunk fucker ready to kill some bitch. Kinda like that Eminem song "Kim" but a metal version.

ShatteredFlame
02-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Weren't they on the Impetigo tribute Razorback did?
Wadge is possibly in my top 15 favorite band names ever, I think that's where I heard them. I don't recall the music, but something about that name is marvelous.

I haven't listened to that so I dunno. But yeah I really like the name Wadge to :lol:. The album is just ok though, wish it was better.

The Colonel
02-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Flesh Parade " Dirty Sweet" is the only new one I have heard so far. I believe this was supposed to be released in December of last year, but it got delayed until a few weeks ago. Pretty sweet grind album. The vocals are a bit different than the old stuff, but not in a bad way. Any fan of grind with a little bit of groove influence will dig it. Also heard a few advance tracks off the new Rotten Sound, sick as always. I really need to get that new Noisear.

mastodon421
02-22-2011, 07:07 AM
so whats your favorite so far, mastodon?

sorry if you've mentioned it already, I didn't notice :)

Times Of Grace as of right now, can't get enough of that record. Darkest Hour and Thomas Giles are close behind.

MPF new Protest The Hero leaked? I need to get my hands on that.

Akumu
02-22-2011, 10:41 AM
The only full album I've heard so far this year is Serenity's "Death & Legacy," which is okay, if a bit inconsistent.

Falkenbach- Tiurda

Very Agalloch inspired, but sooo damn good. It's a bit more Folkish then Agalloch but the resemblance is there. It's another album I gotta sit down with but I love it so far.

Hibria: Blind Ride

Very damn impressive Power Metal. It's like if you mixed Nevermore, Iced Earth, and Edguy.I'm really digging this one a lot. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the write-ups - going to check these out. :)

Natrlhi
02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Late getting around to it, but the new Mogwai is fucking incredible.

powerslave_85
02-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Late getting around to it, but the new Mogwai is fucking incredible.
It certainly has the best album title of the year.

MPF
02-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Times Of Grace as of right now, can't get enough of that record. Darkest Hour and Thomas Giles are close behind.

MPF new Protest The Hero leaked? I need to get my hands on that.

Yes it did, back on Saturday.

Thanks for the write-ups - going to check these out. :)

No problem. I hope you dig them.

w00tasaurus
02-22-2011, 12:23 PM
I was actually really disappointed by the new Hibria after anticipating it for a while, it just annoyed me. I loved The Skull Collectors, so I was pretty surprised :-/

hb420
02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
The new album by Grayceon is good shit.

Indestructible
02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
The new DevilDriver album came out today. I think the new Evergrey came out today too. I'll have to get those albums.

BloodoftheKings
02-22-2011, 08:31 PM
The new DevilDriver game out today.

REALLY, THEY MADE A DEVILDRIVER GAME??!!?!?

treghet
02-22-2011, 08:34 PM
The new DevilDriver game out today.

It's sick as hell. I'm already pretty far into it. I picked Dez as my character. His special move is Horn of Betrayal! I got to this part with these crazy monsters from the deep and man... let's just say, they were ripped apart.

treghet
02-22-2011, 08:35 PM

Damn you... I was typing my reply.

Indestructible
02-22-2011, 08:52 PM

fixed it.
Though a DevilDriver game would be cool.

jhdeity
02-23-2011, 08:46 AM
I've heard 15 cd's so far in 2011 so minus well do my Top 5. Only 1 maybe 2 would make my Top 10 at years end I think but ya never know. I heard Mogwai yesterday and gave it a 2nd listen only to not get it that much more. To each his own though. It's the early favorite to be the hipster pick of 2011. Top 10's riddled with black/death metal... and Mogwai. hahaha Mark my words...

1) Onslaught - Sounds of Violence (by a mile! This would have made my Top 10 last year and Top 5 in 09)
2) Destruction - Day of Reckoning
3) Crowbar - Sever the Wicked Hand
4) Times of Grace - The Hymn of a Broken Man
5) Devildriver - Beast

HM: Protest the Hero & Evergrey - Both bother me vocally at 1st listen but should grow on me...

brutal_descent
02-23-2011, 09:01 AM
The Hymn of a Broken Man - Times of Grace
To Hell With God - Deicide
Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will - Mogwai
The King of Limbs - Radiohead
Beast - DevilDriver

:hmm: Not really that much to get excited about so far apart from the RH release.

jhdeity
02-23-2011, 11:41 AM
The Hymn of a Broken Man - Times of Grace
To Hell With God - Deicide
Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will - Mogwai
The King of Limbs - Radiohead
Beast - DevilDriver

:hmm: Not really that much to get excited about so far apart from the RH release.

It's funny while listening to Mogwai I wondered if the new Radiohead would be heavier than what I was listening to. Guess I'll have to find out...

mastodon421
02-23-2011, 02:50 PM
New Protest The Hero is amazing. At least as good as Fortress, if not better.

w00tasaurus
02-23-2011, 04:58 PM
after hearing 3 new turisas tracks posted on their facebook, I was no longer excited for the album as it sounded like they got lazy. just listened to the new album in full though and loved it, so I guess they released the most uninspired songs first.

I don't think I'll like it as much as The Varangian Way, but I've only given it one listen so far.

Akumu
02-24-2011, 07:42 PM
after hearing 3 new turisas tracks posted on their facebook, I was no longer excited for the album as it sounded like they got lazy. just listened to the new album in full though and loved it, so I guess they released the most uninspired songs first.

I don't think I'll like it as much as The Varangian Way, but I've only given it one listen so far.

Yeah, I was really "ehh" towards the title track when it was released, but I'm on my fourth or fifth listen of the full album right now and I love it. They definitely downplayed the heaviness and turned up the orchestra, but I think they made it work. It's extremely dramatic and cheesy. :D

The new Moonsorrow is also awesome. I'm not sure which I like better, to be honest.

hellawaits77ny
02-24-2011, 09:16 PM
I just checked out the new Neuraxis. Very good! Unlike most death metal, there is some good variation to the songs. Has just the right amount of melodic parts. Not a big fan of melodic death metal, but the subtlety of it in this album is very nice.

Only drawback is tracks 8-10 sound similar to me, and none of them stood out.

Standout Tracks

Asylum
Reptile
Trauma

JLRedWing13
02-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Early list:

1. Elysium - Stratovarius
2. Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa - Moonsorrow
3. Kiss Each Other Clean - Iron and Wine
4. Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will - Mogwai
5. Sever The Wicked Hand - Crowbar
6. For Battles Once Fought - Arafel
7. Tiurida - Falkenbach
8. Sounds of Violence - Onslaught
9. Hymn of a Broken Man - Times of Grace
10. The Destroyers of All - Ulcerate
11. Beast - DevilDriver
12. The Human Romance - Darkest Hour
13. Doombound - Battlelore

Statutory-Mike
02-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Defeater. Yes.

treghet
02-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Defeater. Yes.

Thank you for reminding me! Going to check this out now. :D

hb420
02-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Hearing the new Trap Them, good stuff so far. :rocker:

jhdeity
02-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Just heard 2 new songs from The Human Abstract. 1 was ok and the other was incredible. I was thinking these guys might blow up with a great cd in 2011 but the jury is still out I guess.

hb420
02-26-2011, 06:50 PM
1. Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
2. Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
3. Grayceon - We Destroy All
4. Fen - Epoch
5. Deicide - To Hell With God
6. Burzum - Fallen
7. Falkenbach - Tiurida
8. Weedeater - Jason The Dragon.....
9. Destruction - Day of Reckoning
10.Neuraxis - Asylon

My top 10 so far

ShatteredFlame
02-26-2011, 09:55 PM
new Trap Them leaked? Definitely looking forward to hearing this.

ShatteredFlame
02-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Anyway, I checked out A LOT this week since I was on vacation. Sorry for the extremely long post :D

Total Fucking Destruction - Hater - I found this record a whole lot more enjoyable then there other records. The vocals switch from clean to harsh, as the music switches from punk to grindcore. The clean vocals actually manage to stand out more. Overall this record is a fun blast of energy.

Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972 - Beautiful ambient music. Layered droning. It all sounds great.

Virus - The Agent That Shapes The Desert - They just continued with their sound from The Black Flux. If you have listened to that record, you would know what to expect here. Still, Virus is a pretty maniacal sounding band. All these fucked up sounding riffs and a vocalist who sounds like some cartoon commercial announcer. Crazy shit.

Red - Until We Have Faces - Red are what Linkin Park would sound like if they progressed the Meteora sound and dropped the rapping. I use to be into their record End of Silence back in 2006 when I was into that stuff. Listening to this now, the band hasn't changed much. Not that that's a bad thing, the band has a pretty effective sound for a christian rock band.

Defeater - Empty Days & Sleepless Nights - ED&SN continues Defeater's story arc. The thing about this band that I like, is that they make me feel really uneasy. The vocalist just sounds like he is about to break down in tears screaming his heart out. Then reading the lyrics, the story that is kind of overrated but still it adds to the depression. There is 4 acoustic songs on here that bother people, I don't really have a problem with them but they are not really as effective as the hardcore part of their music. The story telling kind of comes off as cheesy on the acoustic parts also. I recommend it to hardcore fans.

Protest The Hero - Scurrilous - This was the first time I have checked out this band but I can't really say I had a great experience listening to them. I expected it to be more on the hardcore/metalcore side but it turned out to be more on the prog/wank side. Also the vocals weren't great. Overall, its just not something that interest me.

Destruction - Day of Reckoning - Solid thrash metal for your thrash metal fix. Nothing more.

Crowbar - Sever the Wicked Hand - It's a good record. At times I did feel that it was too slow for its own good but then before I knew it, the record would move into a fast part. The vocals aren't that great, they could be more powerful. I haven't paid attention to the lyrics but the vocalist sounds real passionate about whatever he is singing about. It kind of reminds me of the last Harvey Milk album, but that one was just depressing.

Moonsorrow - Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa - Moonsorrow is a band I should be listening to all the time. Most of what they play is right up my ally. Atmospheric metal with a very wide range of influences. The problem is that they can get a little too progressive and stretch their songs out a lot farther than they need to be. This album doesn't have that problem. With only 4 real songs which all total over an hour, the album surprisingly never feels over longed. Its a really great record that contains many interesting influences throughout and a damn epic atmosphere. It will probably go to be one of my favorites of the year if I listen to it occasionally. Which I hopefully will do because this is a damn good band.

Low Threat Profile - Product #2 - Solid powerviolence. The vocals are softer then what I'm use to, but it is still very intense.

Onry Ozzborn - Hold on for Dear Life - Each listen I had with this album was pretty different. At first I thought it was corny and that this was a parody rapper since there are a lot of subtle puns getting thrown around. Then the 2nd time I began to hear more serious notes on the record. It's a very experimental record for a hip-hop album. Many different types of beats used for different vibes. I'll listen to it more.

Funeral Party - Golden Age of Knowhere - Not a great release. The only reason I checked this out is because I heard Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez plays on one song. Not really a great song either. Nothing special in this album. Also it can probably an issue only in my shitty downloaded copy but I felt the mix was too low. Raising the volume for this, then have a hardcore album next on the queue was not cool.

No Turning Back - Take Control - For now, I have mixed feelings about this. The music seems generic in many places but then really awesome in others. But the main problem here is the vocalist, its kind of a sludge influenced voice but its not great.

Long Distance Calling - Long Distance Calling - Not much is different from any other post-rock release. Still, I like heavier guitars used in post-rock. All in all this is a really good record imo. In the song Middleville they add a vocalist who gives it this Alice In Chains type grunge feel, I didn't like it at first but it grew on me.

Asobi Seksu - Florescence - Asobi Seksu is a band a lot of hipsters tend to shit on. Mainly because they made one amazing album (Citrus) then everything after was underwhelming. I think they get more shit than they deserve but I really want them to return to their Citrus sound. Citrus was a really fun album. The Hush/Rewolf acoustic stuff was bland. And now this is just typical dream pop, its not a bad listen but it doesn't compare to the Citrus experience. Also, this girls voice is kind of annoying at times.

Turisas - Stand Up And Fight - More cheesy folk/symphonic metal. Epic sounding music. I kind of grew out of this, I guess this can entertain me if I am in the mood. I'm starting to get annoyed at a lot of these vocalist for these bands, but this guy still sounds alright to me.

treghet
02-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Defeater - Empty Days & Sleepless Nights - ED&SN continues Defeater's story arc. The thing about this band that I like, is that they make me feel really uneasy. The vocalist just sounds like he is about to break down in tears screaming his heart out. Then reading the lyrics, the story that is kind of overrated but still it adds to the depression. There is 4 acoustic songs on here that bother people, I don't really have a problem with them but they are not really as effective as the hardcore part of their music. The story telling kind of comes off as cheesy on the acoustic parts also. I recommend it to hardcore fans.

The first ten tracks are supposed to be the album, Empty Days, and the four acoustic songs are a separate EP, Sleepless Nights. They just released it all together for some reason. Not sure why.

But anyway, I listened to it last night and I love it. Definitely going to buy it. Defeater does not disappoint! :D

ShatteredFlame
02-27-2011, 08:30 AM
aight.

I also realized I forgot these 2:

Grayceon - All We Destroy - I don't know what it is, but I really don't like this. It's not bad by any means. The song writing is great, lots of nice instruments all used well. It reminds me of an classic 70s prog rock record, except with heavy guitar riffs. Maybe with time this album will get the recognition it deserves but for now there is just nothing that interest me about it. It's all boring.

Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges - I got this because this site I go on included this in a GY!BE related post. Maybe someone with a better understanding of music can enjoy this. For me, there is no hope. Basically this guy made the whole record playing the bass saxophone, he creates lots of weird song structures and the likes. It was ok but the majority of it I found to be irritating. It's just not for me.

es156
02-27-2011, 01:29 PM
The vocalist on the Long Distance Calling song is John Bush. Pretty good song, actually.

jhdeity
02-27-2011, 04:33 PM
The vocalist on the Long Distance Calling song is John Bush. Pretty good song, actually.

Damn I have to check that out now.

idrinkwine732
02-27-2011, 06:51 PM
This year is already absolutely unreal and I have 10 albums ranked.

MPF
02-27-2011, 07:33 PM
New Scale the Summit just leaked. I'm about to check it out.

larvtard
02-27-2011, 08:00 PM
new Trap Them is really good. Hasn't hit me the same way Seizures did but regardless it rules pretty hard.

anyone been to FYE recently? I thought I saw in Decibel an ad for a "buy 1 metal cd get 1 metal cd free" sale going on this month, but I can't find anything about it online. If it is only this month, though, I gotta get my ass there tomorrow. Probably gonna pick up the new Crowbar and Deicide. Devildriver sounded good from the previews I heard, and the few new Destruction songs I've heard are great. who knows what I'll get? :allan:

idrinkwine732
02-27-2011, 08:06 PM

It's very very good.

treghet
02-27-2011, 09:04 PM

I was just thinking about that today! I've been waiting for this. :party:

MPF
02-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Just got done listening to the new Scale The Summit and I'm Turisas.

STS's new one is a very dark album. It feels so much darker then Carving Desert Canyons and Monuments. It's cool in a way because it's adding a new side to the band. I'm definitely digging it so far.

Turisas: I am very Underwhelmed. I didn't thin k I would every say this about any Folk/Power Metal album, but it's too Symphonic. Seeing these songs live is going to suck without the full orchestra behind them because all the power will either be gone, or played through PA speakers, which isn't cool. At times it is very Turisas, and other times it sounds like Cradle of Filth without the shitty vocals. I guess I was hoping for a bit more. It's not bad in any way, just underwhelming.

MPF
02-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Just now checked out Woods Of Desolation- Torn Beyond Reason

....Yeah this is the best Black Metal album of 2011! Unless Alcest records something real quick. This is some of the best damn Black Metal I have ever heard! Get this NOW!

DethMaiden
02-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Just now checked out Woods Of Desolation- Torn Beyond Reason

....Yeah this is the best Black Metal album of 2011! Unless Alcest records something real quick. This is some of the best damn Black Metal I have ever heard! Get this NOW!

Yep. ;)

Altar of Plagues comes damn close though as far as what I've heard. No comment yet on Fen, Burzum, Lifelover or Deafheaven though, which I have high expectations for all of when I get around to hearing them.

MPF
02-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Yep. ;)

Altar of Plagues comes damn close though as far as what I've heard. No comment yet on Fen, Burzum, Lifelover or Deafheaven though, which I have high expectations for all of when I get around to hearing them.

Alter Of Plagues has a new album coming out?

Damn 2011 keeps getting better and better. One of the best years in Music in a LONG time.

Spiral_Slave
02-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Just yesterday listened to the following albums...

Turisas - Stand Up And Fight: Really liking this with each listen. Not so metal, really cinematic, very interesting.

Ralf Scheepers - Scheepers: Eh, didn't do anything for me. Pretty much what I expected

Jag Panzer - Scourge Of The Light: Same deal as the Scheepers, although I think this one was slightly worse. Which sucks 'cause I've been anticipating this for a long time since I really dug Casting The Stones

Visions Of Atlantis - Delta: I loved Trinity and Cast Away, but this one just sounded way to uninspired. None of the songs grabbed me, except New Dawn which was pretty catchy.

Natrlhi
02-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Grayceon - All We Destroy - I don't know what it is, but I really don't like this. It's not bad by any means. The song writing is great, lots of nice instruments all used well. It reminds me of an classic 70s prog rock record, except with heavy guitar riffs. Maybe with time this album will get the recognition it deserves but for now there is just nothing that interest me about it. It's all boring.I completely disagree. I liked the tracks I had heard previously at first, which were "Shellmounds", "We Can" and "Once a Shadow" (the latter two of which I heard performed live all the way back in August 2009, and have video recordings to prove it ;)), and "A Road Less Traveled " (which one would have to be insane not to love), but now I officially like the entire album. The first track took a little getting used to, and the final track just has to be taken for what it is - a melodic closer.

So basically, I think this new album might actually be Grayceon's best work to date. They've taken some chances with both the production and the vocals (especially in Jackie's case with the latter topic), and I, for one, think the risks have paid off.

To put it another way, it's my favorite release thus far this year. :fist:

hb420
02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I completely disagree. I liked the tracks I had heard previously at first, which were "Shellmounds", "We Can" and "Once a Shadow" (the latter two of which I heard performed live all the way back in August 2009, and have video recordings to prove it ;)), and "A Road Less Traveled " (which one would have to be insane not to love), but now I officially like the entire album. The first track took a little getting used to, and the final track just has to be taken for what it is - a melodic closer.

So basically, I think this new album might actually be Grayceon's best work to date. They've taken some chances with both the production and the vocals (especially in Jackie's case with the latter topic), and I, for one, think the risks have paid off.

To put it another way, it's my favorite release thus far this year. :fist:

Really great cd.

moobys37
02-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Very early Top 5

1. Subrosa- No Help For The Mighty Ones

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one here that's heard it, but it's probably one of the finest doom albums I've heard in a very long time.

2. Mogwai- Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

These guys can't make a bad album.

3. Grayceon- All We Destroy

See what Nat said, minus the favorite album so far sentence. This one might grow on me.

4. Crowbar- Sever The Wicked Hand

It's not as easy to get into, but it's a very solid release.

5. Earth- Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light 1

It's more of the same in my opinion, but that's not a bad thing.

Natrlhi
02-28-2011, 01:00 PM
@moobys:

Mogwai and Grayceon are neck and neck for me right now. I do think there's some stuff coming that has the potential, at least, to unseat both of them, though.

With new releases coming by Baroness (allegedly), Russian Circles, Coalesce, Meshuggah, PRIMUS, Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Asphyx, Wino, Weedeater, Trap Them, Rotten Sound, Amon Amarth, Obscura, Autopsy, Indian, Red Fang, Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Vektor, Arch Enemy, Gorguts, Made Out of Babies, Anaal Nathrakh, TOOL, Absu, Unearth, Revocation, Gojira, Gorod, Cynic, Vader, Dreaming Dead, Cormorant, Shrinebuilder, Neurosis (allegedly), Origin, Decapitated, Napalm Death, Exhumed, Goatwhore, Brutal Truth, Voivod (apparently?), Fleshgod Apocalypse, Pig Destroyer (allegedly), Fredrik Thordendal’s Special Defects (allegedly), Cult of Luna (allegedly), The Mars Volta (allegedly), Grails (someday), and yes, even Necrophagist (someday, allegedly, maybe...) - 2011 is shaping up to be a promising year indeed. :metal:

treghet
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
even Necrophagist (someday, allegedly, maybe...) - 2011 is shaping up to be a promising year indeed. :metal:

Don't forget Wintersun. ;)

jhdeity
02-28-2011, 01:23 PM
@moobys:

Mogwai and Grayceon are neck and neck for me right now. I do think there's some stuff coming that has the potential, at least, to unseat both of them, though.

With new releases coming by Baroness (allegedly), Russian Circles, Coalesce, Meshuggah, PRIMUS, Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Asphyx, Wino, Weedeater, Trap Them, Rotten Sound, Amon Amarth, Obscura, Autopsy, Indian, Red Fang, Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Vektor, Arch Enemy, Gorguts, Made Out of Babies, Anaal Nathrakh, TOOL, Absu, Unearth, Revocation, Gojira, Gorod, Cynic, Vader, Dreaming Dead, Cormorant, Shrinebuilder, Neurosis (allegedly), Origin, Decapitated, Napalm Death, Exhumed, Goatwhore, Brutal Truth, Voivod (apparently?), Fleshgod Apocalypse, Pig Destroyer (allegedly), Fredrik Thordendalís Special Defects (allegedly), Cult of Luna (allegedly), The Mars Volta (allegedly), Grails (someday), and yes, even Necrophagist (someday, allegedly, maybe...) - 2011 is shaping up to be a promising year indeed. :metal:

WOW! I'd venture to say there's half of my Top 10 for 2011 right there.

Natrlhi
02-28-2011, 01:48 PM
WOW! I'd venture to say there's half of my Top 10 for 2011 right there.
http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Creatures_and_Cartoons/Cartoon_Characters/Beavis_6.gif

mankvill
02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
I actually have heard very little 2011 albums this year. People who know me best, recommend me some!

Natrlhi
02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
I actually have heard very little 2011 albums this year. People who know me best, recommend me some!You're gonna love the new TOOL album when it comes out. ;)

idrinkwine732
02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Cormorant

Studio time booked in June. I has excite.

mankvill
02-28-2011, 07:34 PM
You're gonna love the new TOOL album when it comes out. ;)

how dare you :flame:

slapguitarer
02-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Studio time booked in June. I has excite.

FUCK YEAH!!!!

ShatteredFlame
02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
the new Boris with Merzbow leaked, its alright but kind of underwhelming. It goes for a really laidback sound and Merzbow unfortunately never gets all bat shit insane with his noise, his presence is so silent. Its a nice mellow album to smoke weed too though.

Natrlhi
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
how dare you :flame:

:lol: In all seriousness, you MIGHT like the new Belphegor. I'm supposed to be working on a review for Andy, but I haven't gotten around to giving the thing a full listen yet. Some of it is pretty good, from what I've heard so far.

EDIT: The new albums by Trap Them and Rotten Sound would probably be up your alley - they due out in two weeks, but are probably available by some means or other... ;)

christopher
03-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I actually have heard very little 2011 albums this year. People who know me best, recommend me some!

Check out new Low Threat Profile called Product #2. Also the Dead Language LP, whenever that comes out.

JLRedWing13
03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Just keeps getting better and better....

BloodoftheKings
03-03-2011, 06:06 PM
So did anyone else hear the new Dropkick Murphys? I know im not the only fan on here.

Updated: 3/22

My list so far:
1. Dropkick Murphys - Going Out In Style
2. Motorhead - The World Is Yours
3. Destruction - Day Of Reckoning
4. Macabre - Grim Scary Tales
5. Agnostic Front - My Life My Way
6. Devildriver - Beast
7. Deicide - To Hell With God
8. Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
9. Cavalera Conspiracy - Blunt Force Trauma

mastodon421
03-03-2011, 06:08 PM
So did anyone else hear the new Dropkick Murphys? I know im not the only fan on here.

My list so far:
2. Macabre - Grim Scary Tales
3. Devildriver - Beast

Albums I will check out this month:
Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
Children Of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
Calvalera Conspiracy - Blunt Force Trauma
Soundgarden - Live On 1-5

I have heard the new Dropkick Murphys, I am digging it so far. It's the best record they have done in quite some time.

BloodoftheKings
03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
I have heard the new Dropkick Murphys, I am digging it so far. It's the best record they have done in quite some time.

I like it better then The Meanest Of Times, not to say that was a bad album. Im digging every song on the new album but the title track, Peg O' My Heart, and Sunday Hardcore Matinee are my favorites.

mastodon421
03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I like it better then The Meanest Of Times, not to say that was a bad album. Im digging every song on the new album but the title track, Peg O' My Heart, and Sunday Hardcore Matinee are my favorites.

They tend to be pretty conistent, I have enjoyed all their records so far. I would say my faves on the new one, are the title track,Cruel, andSunday Hardcore Matinee.

DethMaiden
03-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I could make a top 10 list right now where I love every album and am leaving out albums that totally deserve it. And it's March 3rd. And I have over 50 albums I need to check out.

2011=best year ever. Unless EVERYTHING I need to hear is a massive letdown there's no way it won't be.

idrinkwine732
03-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I could make a top 10 list right now where I love every album and am leaving out albums that totally deserve it. And it's March 3rd. And I have over 50 albums I need to check out.

2011=best year ever. Unless EVERYTHING I need to hear is a massive letdown there's no way it won't be.

I'm in the same position. Absolutely love this year.

hb420
03-04-2011, 08:07 PM
New obscura leaked, it's fucking amazing! :drool:

ShatteredFlame
03-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Trap Them - Darker Handcraft - Another kickass grind release but this kind of got worse with each listen to be honest.

Rotten Sound - Cursed - And this got better with each listen!

Boris with Merzbow - Clatter - So Boris is going to put out a ton of records this year. All of which I am looking forward to. This is the first release and to be honest it's a little underwhelming. It's a good album to lay back and chill to. But it's not very long and Merzbow's presence is never used well. Not once does he go batshit insane with his noise. It's an alright release but Rock Dream was so much better.

Raekwon - Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang - Wow big surprise here. I found out about Raekwon releasing something new in January. I was skeptical, so soon after the great OB4CL2. Plus RZA is not producing so obviously it's gonna suck. Then I heard the single "Rock N Roll" and lost all hope. But honestly, this is a great Wu-Tang release. This must be the Wu-Tang release that focuses most on their kung-fu/ninja nonsense. At times the lyrics do get a little cheesy but the album still excels for having great beats, great guest appearances, and the songs are real short making for a nice quick listen(and not in the way the half-assed Wu-Massacre was). The only track that should not be in here is Rock N Roll, it stands out like a sore thumb being the longest track, auto tune usage, and having a mainstream beat. I decided to just remove from the playlist. But anyway...good album...Great job, Rae!

Scale the Summit - The Collective - I don't mind listening to StS, they certainty aren't a bad listen. But the problem is, they do nothing to capture my attention. For me at least, they just fail to capture any atmosphere whatsoever. What they play, I don't mind listening but at the end of the day they are just forgettable. I've also seen them live twice with the same reaction, while they technically can play the shit out of their instruments and I didn't mind watching them, they really didn't do anything memorable to make me want to watch them again.

Marmaleek - Kardaitcha - I have been incredibly lacking in checking out the other bands on HANL's label. I just recently got a twitter and found out about this the day it was released. It is available for free, look it up. Anyway, this is a really fucked up album. A strange mix of industrial and noise sound layers, carrying a somewhat shoegaze feel throughout, black metal screeches, and overall a dark ambient tone. I also felt a bunch of dance/electronic influences that felt like a :dubstep" album recorded in some lonely, pissed off fucks basement. Bottom line: I got a new album to spin during Halloween! But really this is one of my favorite releases this year so far.

Blue Stahli - Blue Stahli - I don't know how people can like this. He is the main artist on Celldweller's label, FIXT. The similarities to Celldweller are astounding. This guy does absolutely nothing new and for the most part just tries to mimic Celldweller's style. All the signature electronics you will find in a Celldweller production are mimicked here. But the difference is, this guy is not Celldweller. The songs aren't powerful enough on their own, they lack variety, this guys vocals are so soft its bad, and well in the end Blue Stahli is just a dumbed down copycat of a great artist.

mastodon421
03-05-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm up to 10 albums so far now. I downloaded the new The Human Abstract and Children Of Bodom, but haven't had the chance to listen to them.

My list so far.
1.Protest The Hero-Scurrilous
2.Times Of Grace-The Hymn Of A Broken Man
3.Darkest Hour-The Human Romance
4.Thomas Giles-Pulse
5.Scale The Summit-The Collective
6.DevilDriver-Beast
7.Dropkick Murphys-Going Out In Style
8.Abysmal Dawn-Leveling The Plane Of Existence
9.Lazarus A.D-Black Rivers Flow
10.Emmure-Speaker Of The Dead(far, far below everything else on this list.)

daimonos
03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Macabre - Grim Scary Tales is a pretty solid album. Wierd and kind of fucked up, but it's fun and keeps you interested.

mastodon421
03-05-2011, 11:41 AM
New Children Of Bodom surprised the hell out of me, it's actually quite good. It completely eviscerated my expectations.

treghet
03-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Trap Them - Darker Handcraft - Another kickass grind release but this kind of got worse with each listen to be honest.

Rotten Sound - Cursed - And this got better with each listen!

The new Trap Them didn't impress me that much. It's good, but it's pretty much the same thing as the last album. But I'm dying to hear the new Rotten Sound! I saw that it leaked, but it's not high quality so I'm going to wait.

New Children Of Bodom surprised the hell out of me, it's actually quite good. It completely eviscerated my expectations.

This makes me want to give it a listen... but as with the Rotten Sound, there's only a low quality version online right now. I'll wait.

ALSO: Gorgasm's new album has leaked. If you want some good brutal death metal, give it a listen.

larvtard
03-05-2011, 06:53 PM
new Destruction sucks. Schmier sounds like a retard (maybe I'm not a huge fan of German thrash-style vocals, but I thought he sounded okay on The Antichrist), and the really good production is just kinda awkward, honestly.

also, Rotten Sound's new one is pretty good, and Trap Them's new one has stayed pretty consistent on each listen, if not getting better.

MPF
03-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Obscura just leaked....I'll report later.

BloodoftheKings
03-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Macabre - Grim Scary Tales is a pretty solid album. Wierd and kind of fucked up, but it's fun and keeps you interested.

Lyrically it's sesame street compared to some of thier old albums.

daimonos
03-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Lyrically it's sesame street compared to some of thier old albums.

Yup I've heard some of their older stuff, and you're right. It's a kickass album though, so I'll have to look into their older stuff more.

BloodoftheKings
03-05-2011, 10:29 PM
new Destruction sucks. Schmier sounds like a retard (maybe I'm not a huge fan of German thrash-style vocals, but I thought he sounded okay on The Antichrist), and the really good production is just kinda awkward, honestly.

I like it, the vocals sounded fine to me. I kinda get what your saying about the production but it didn't really annoy that much.

MPF
03-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Obscura's Omnivium....

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

I really dig their new, even more progressive approach. Still plenty of Gravity Blast Beats and Death metal, but the PRog makes this album perfect. It's like Opeth and Dream Theater meets Gorguts and Emperor *yes I did say Emperor, just listen to Celestial Spheres and Velocity*.

BloodoftheKings
03-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Does the new Motorhead album count as a 2011 release. Some magazine was putting it out in december but it didn't become available in stores til january 2011.

DethMaiden
03-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Does the new Motorhead album count as a 2011 release. Some magazine was putting it out in december but it didn't become available in stores til january 2011.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a 2011 release everywhere.

1. Altar of Plagues - Mammal
2. Evergrey - Glorious Collision
3. Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
4. Grayceon - All We Destroy
5. Lionize - Destruction Manual
6. Thomas Giles - Pulse
7. Heretoir - Heretoir
8. Falkenbach - Tiurida
9. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
10. The two songs I've heard from Subrosa - No Help for the Mighty Ones ... wouldn't be surprised if it catapults to top 3 or 5 once I hear the rest.

EDIT: Besides the Subrosa, I have mighty expectations for (that I know of) Amon Amarth, Weedeater, Lemuria, Mogwai, Protest the Hero, Krallice, Symphony X, Explosions in the Sky, Hibria, Fleet Foxes, Fen, Burzum, Devin Townsend (both records), Trap Them, Lifelover, Anaal Nathrakh, Lady Gaga, My Dying Bride, Demonaz, Between the Buried and Me, Deafheaven, Dropkick Murphys, A Storm of Light, Presto Ballet, Primate, Novembers Doom and Ava Inferi.

And that's just for bands with albums with release dates/titles. Plenty more bands allegedly releasing stuff this year that I think could be great. Like I said elsewhere, this year I'm making a damn top 100.

mankvill
03-07-2011, 07:12 PM

It's way too early for this argument :lol:

christopher
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM

6. Thomas Giles - Pulse
7. Heretoir - Heretoir
8. Falkenbach - Tiurida
10. The two songs I've heard from Subrosa - No Help for the Mighty Ones ... wouldn't be surprised if it catapults to top 3 or 5 once I hear the rest.

EDIT: Besides the Subrosa, I have mighty expectations for (that I know of) Amon Amarth, Weedeater, Lemuria, Mogwai, Protest the Hero, Krallice, Symphony X, Explosions in the Sky, Hibria, Fleet Foxes, Fen, Burzum, Devin Townsend (both records), Trap Them, Lifelover, Anaal Nathrakh, Lady Gaga, My Dying Bride, Demonaz, Between the Buried and Me, Deafheaven, Dropkick Murphys, A Storm of Light, Presto Ballet, Primate, Novembers Doom and Ava Inferi.

And that's just for bands with albums with release dates/titles. Plenty more bands allegedly releasing stuff this year that I think could be great. Like I said elsewhere, this year I'm making a damn top 100.

I love how Lady Gaga is between Anaal Nathrakh and My Dying Bride. I'm actually looking forward to hearing more of Born This Way. The title track was a big let down for me.

DethMaiden
03-07-2011, 07:59 PM
I love how Lady Gaga is between Anaal Nathrakh and My Dying Bride. I'm actually looking forward to hearing more of Born This Way. The title track was a big let down for me.

Yeah, it's probably worse than every song on The Fame Monster, but I'm holding out hope for the full-length.

christopher
03-07-2011, 08:00 PM

Seriously?? I thought it was god awful. The Big Bad Wolf song was funny but the rest of album sucked ass. I hope they don't play any of it when I see them live next.

illuminatus917
03-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Off the top of my mind that I haven't seen mentioned yet...
(mostly post-rock/post-metal/sludge)

Tephra - Tempel
My Dad vs Yours - Little Symphonies
Windmills By The Ocean - Windmills By The Ocean II
Braveyoung - We Are Lonely Animals
Long Distance Calling - Long Distance Calling
Northless - Clandestine Abuse
Dead To A Dying World - Dead To A Dying World
The End of the Ocean - Pacific.Atlantic
Natural Snow Buildings - Waves Of The Random Sea
Brotherhood Of Sleep - Dark As Light
Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
Maybeshewill - ?

Rush - Clockwork Angels
Muse is rumored as well.

Of course you're all up to date on more metal releases.

New Mogwai and Radiohead albums should be listed in anyone's catalogue at this point.

christopher
03-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah, it's probably worse than every song on The Fame Monster, but I'm holding out hope for the full-length.

Yeah her vocals on that track was awful. It didn't hold up to what she has done in the past. I'm going to wait till I can hear the rest of the album before I decide on it or not. The music video was cool for the song.

Indestructible
03-07-2011, 08:16 PM

6. Thomas Giles - Pulse
7. Heretoir - Heretoir
8. Falkenbach - Tiurida

New MDB this year? do they have a release date set yet????

DethMaiden
03-07-2011, 08:25 PM
New MDB this year? do they have a release date set yet????

Was supposed to be out last October, been delayed since then.

It's going to be orchestral renditions of classic MDB tracks though, not strictly new material.

moobys37
03-07-2011, 09:43 PM

6. Thomas Giles - Pulse
7. Heretoir - Heretoir
8. Falkenbach - Tiurida

1. The Subrosa will hop into your top 2.

2. You've heard the Altar of Plagues record?!

DethMaiden
03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
1. The Subrosa will hop into your top 2.

2. You've heard the Altar of Plagues record?!

1. "Whipoorwhill" and "The Inheritance" are enough for me to believe you. Can't wait until my copy comes in.

2. Dude. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude. They were great before, now they're top-tier. I don't know that it's leaked, I got a press copy, but my God is it incredible.

powerslave_85
03-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Lemuria
Dropkick MurphysYou know these are out already, right? Lemuria's been out for a while.

DethMaiden
03-07-2011, 10:25 PM
You know these are out already, right? Lemuria's been out for a while.

Yeah, just haven't had time to give them a fair shake. I've heard some tracks from each, just need to sit down with them.

Natrlhi
03-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Braveyoung - We Are Lonely AnimalsHave you heard this yet? It's mellow as fuck, but being a fan of everything from Isis and Neurosis to EITS, TWDY and Caspian that's OK with me. Personally, I think it's a little weak, though. There's not much to sink my teeth into. Maybe I have to listen to it some more. If you ask me, these guys were doing just fine back when they were called Giant and doing the heavy stuff. I'd love to hear more material like 2006's "Song" album. :fist:

Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take CareI thought I had mentioned this on here. Maybe not. Anyway, I'm very stoked for this as well.

Windmills By The Ocean - Windmills By The Ocean II:eek: I had no idea these guys were FINALLY going to get back in the studio and finish the songs they had been working on. This is excellent news. Let's see if they actually decide to tour behind this release.

moobys37
03-08-2011, 09:34 AM
1. "Whipoorwhill" and "The Inheritance" are enough for me to believe you. Can't wait until my copy comes in.

2. Dude. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude. They were great before, now they're top-tier. I don't know that it's leaked, I got a press copy, but my God is it incredible.

So what site do you run and how can I work with you so I can hear this? :lol:

DethMaiden
03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
So what site do you run and how can I work with you so I can hear this? :lol:

I don't run it, I'm afraid. ;) Be patient, it'll be worth the wait.

illuminatus917
03-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Have you heard this yet? It's mellow as fuck, but being a fan of everything from Isis and Neurosis to EITS, TWDY and Caspian that's OK with me. Personally, I think it's a little weak, though. There's not much to sink my teeth into. Maybe I have to listen to it some more. If you ask me, these guys were doing just fine back when they were called Giant and doing the heavy stuff. I'd love to hear more material like 2006's "Song" album. :fist:

I haven't listened to the whole album yet. But I love what I've heard. Deep, sad, and beautiful. It's definitely more mellow than Giant, but I'm fine with that. I'm attracted to a mellow sound. "And No Two Walked Together" is fantastic. There's something beyond sad about it; it's almost just downright brooding. The sound of that song actually makes me wish I was a happier person.
I need to sit down and listen to the whole thing in full. I'm just waiting for the right mood I suppose.

I thought I had mentioned this on here. Maybe not. Anyway, I'm very stoked for this as well.

I'm wondering if they're going to play any material from the upcoming release on their tour. I'm guessing the answer to that is yes, but if it is, I want to know what it is when I hear it.

:eek: I had no idea these guys were FINALLY going to get back in the studio and finish the songs they had been working on. This is excellent news. Let's see if they actually decide to tour behind this release.

I think Clifford Meyer has been too preoccupied with Red Sparowes and Isis (and Thos Niles with 27). I didn't even know they had started writing new material. But yeah, we can probably expect something great to come out of this release.

moobys37
03-08-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't run it, I'm afraid. ;) Be patient, it'll be worth the wait.

Is there at least a release date yet? Profound Lore's been really quiet about when it's coming out, but keep hyping it as the best thing since sliced bread.

daimonos
03-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Seriously?? I thought it was god awful. The Big Bad Wolf song was funny but the rest of album sucked ass. I hope they don't play any of it when I see them live next.

well, i only listened to it once, but thought it was good enough for me to go out and buy it. so all I can tell you is that I think it's solid, I don't know if its the greatest thing in the world of not, but thanks for your humble opinion. I'm glad you were here to tell me how much it sucked :tp:

MPF
03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Looks like the new Staind album might possibly not suck:

In an interview with the Pulse of Radio Aaron Lewis says that Staind “is two-thirds of the way through” recording their new record. Slated to come out later in year Lewis described the record as “the heaviest record or collection of songs we have written in a long time.” Pushed further to describe the album Lewis explained:

“There's no “Outsides”. No It's Been Awhiles', no “Right Heres', anything like that. It's straight forward heavy.....the songs I used to bring on the mellower side will now be the embodiment of my solo career, and Staind can stick to doing heavier things.”

SOme of the best news I've heard in a LONG time.

makethemsuffer12
03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Looks like the new Staind album might possibly not suck:

:confused:

DethMaiden
03-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Is there at least a release date yet? Profound Lore's been really quiet about when it's coming out, but keep hyping it as the best thing since sliced bread.

Late April.

BloodoftheKings
03-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I just finished listening to Relentless Retribution Forever and it's really mediocre. I kinda like Not My Funeral and Cry of The Nihilist but the rest is really boring. The version of the album my friend got dosn't even have the Eddie Murphy cover.

MPF
03-08-2011, 06:12 PM
:confused:

Tormented and Dysfunction do not suck. If they are making music that is strictly this stuff, I'm an automatic buyer.

El Gordo
03-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Listening to the new Vreid right now, totally digging it. I've never listened to these guys before, I'd better get to work.

larvtard
03-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Listening to the new Vreid right now, totally digging it. I've never listened to these guys before, I'd better get to work.

Haha, same for me on all counts.

illuminatus917
03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Have you heard this yet? It's mellow as fuck, but being a fan of everything from Isis and Neurosis to EITS, TWDY and Caspian that's OK with me. Personally, I think it's a little weak, though. There's not much to sink my teeth into. Maybe I have to listen to it some more. If you ask me, these guys were doing just fine back when they were called Giant and doing the heavy stuff. I'd love to hear more material like 2006's "Song" album. :fist:

I haven't listened to the whole album yet. But I love what I've heard. Deep, sad, and beautiful. It's definitely more mellow than Giant, but I'm fine with that. I'm attracted to a mellow sound. "And No Two Walked Together" is fantastic. There's something beyond sad about it; it's almost just downright brooding. The sound of that song actually makes me wish I was a happier person.
I need to sit down and listen to the whole thing in full. I'm just waiting for the right mood I suppose.

Update: I just listened to the whole thing. Man, I honestly thought it was great.

w00tasaurus
03-09-2011, 10:18 AM
yeah Vreid is my top album right now and honestly better than anything I heard in 2010. Obscura is taking 2nd place right now.

makethemsuffer12
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I just finished listening to Relentless Retribution Forever and it's really mediocre. I kinda like Not My Funeral and Cry of The Nihilist but the rest is really boring. The version of the album my friend got dosn't even have the Eddie Murphy cover.
But the Eddie Murphy cover is the best part!
Tormented and Dysfunction do not suck. If they are making music that is strictly this stuff, I'm an automatic buyer.

Haha I was just messin'. Staind aren't that bad.

BloodoftheKings
03-09-2011, 01:26 PM
But the Eddie Murphy cover is the best part!

I just heard it and it's like every stupid Children of Bodom cover song. Slightly amusing for a minute then you grow bored of the joke half way through the song.

treghet
03-09-2011, 06:25 PM

Just listened to it... I can't say I'm impressed. In fact, I like Blooddrunk more.

BloodoftheKings
03-09-2011, 07:22 PM
I cant imagine anyone really liking this album. Old school bodom fans wont like it for the same reasons they didn't like the 2 albums before it, and younger bodom fans probably wont even like it cause none of the songs are very catchy.

mastodon421
03-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I cant imagine anyone really liking this album. Old school bodom fans wont like it for the same reasons they didn't like the 2 albums before it, and younger bodom fans probably wont even like it cause none of the songs are very catchy.

I really liked it:finger:

w00tasaurus
03-11-2011, 12:22 PM
i like Primordial's new song, Bloodied Yet unbowed.
i'm a big fan of all their material

treghet
03-11-2011, 11:47 PM
I really liked it:finger:

Clean the wax out of your ears and give it another spin. ;)

mastodon421
03-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Clean the wax out of your ears and give it another spin. ;)

Right back at you;)

w00tasaurus
03-12-2011, 10:22 AM
new Amon Amarth is certainly great, but it seems to fail at really grabbing my attention. a step down in my opinion, which still leaves it as a solid release and one of the best so far. would like to hear other opinions on surtur rising?

DethMaiden
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
It's not immediately grabbing but the way that they've been talking about it in press is that it's got more depth and more things that you'll hear with repeat listens, which is what I'm hoping is true. Because yeah, first listen doesn't hold up to basically any of their albums.

w00tasaurus
03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
jeeze I should finish listening to all my new albums before commenting on them so I can just post once, but oh well.

I'm 3 tracks into Sylosis' Edge of the Earth and am digging it so far! Only time I heard of them previously, I listened to about 40 seconds of a song and it sort of sounded like generic metalcore so I closed the song without giving it a chance. Currently glad I'm giving them another shot.

shane
03-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Few really good albums i've listened to this year. there's more that I enjoyed but these really stood out to me. Huuto by Moonsorrow might be the greatest piece of music i've ever heard.

Arafel - For battles once fought
Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
Fen - Epoch
Varg - Wolfskult
Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa :rocker:
Wolfchant - Call of the black winds
Iskald - The Sun I Carried Alone

hb420
03-12-2011, 01:10 PM
The new Amon Amarth is really great. IMO best thing they've done in a long time.

Crionics
03-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I thought the new Amon Amarth was great from my first listen. Can't say the same about Bodom. I just got the new Burzum, I'm gonna listen to it later tonight.

MPF
03-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Wow, so Amon Amarth really did cover SOAD's Aerials. I gotta check that out.

maidenpriest
03-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Wow, so Amon Amarth really did cover SOAD's Aerials. I gotta check that out.

its pretty damn cool. i think its the first time Johan has used clean vocals? I'm not positive though...either way. :rocker:

ShatteredFlame
03-13-2011, 08:54 AM
It was a karaoke song he did on that 70000 tons of metal cruise. Can't believe they actually recorded it.

The only albums I checked out this week were...

Tartar Lamb II - Polyimage of Known Exits - IF you don't know how Toby Driver is then you should get any one of his bands immediately. (maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Tarter Lamb, Toby Driver). Everything he touches is pretty awesome. For this album, we have another messed up avant-garde jazz record in the likes of John Zorn. It's awesome.

Rise Against - Endgame - What'd you expect from them. Their basic sound, that I still like since this was one of the bands that got me into music. No more screams, which is disappointing. If you were a fan then you'd probably like this, if you aren't then you won't.

I was really busy this week, downloaded a lot more but haven't listened to them.

daimonos
03-13-2011, 09:04 AM
So the new Morbid Angel is going to be released on my birthday, June 7th.

:party:

MPF
03-13-2011, 07:07 PM
its pretty damn cool. i think its the first time Johan has used clean vocals? I'm not positive though...either way. :rocker:

A few weeks back in the general Discussion area I posted a video of Johan doing a karaoke version of Aerials on the cruise ship. I thought he just did that becuase he liked the song, but little did I know he was foreshadowing what was to come.

The album is very damn good. I can't wait till April 15th when I get to hear the whole album LIVE!

treghet
03-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Listening to Maruta's new album. This is awesome!

Grindcore fans, check it out.

larvtard
03-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Listening to Maruta's new album. This is awesome!

Grindcore fans, check it out.

Their new album made me realize I really don't like Maruta as much as I thought. It's WAY more tech-death than it is grind.

Maiden33
03-14-2011, 07:19 PM
The new Whitesnake album is... about the same quality as the last one. So I guess approach accordingly. Closing track is fantastic (and better than anything on the last album), but overall it's just "solid" at best. Coverdale's voice is pretty shot too, but the guitar playing is (naturally) fantastic.

moobys37
03-17-2011, 01:30 PM

So I heard the opening track. That may have been the best song I've heard all year.

MPF
03-17-2011, 04:56 PM
The Haunted's Unseen just leaked last night.

It is a early contender for the worst album of the year. It almost puts Halford's Made Of Metal to shame. I may even go as far to say that this is the worst Metal album since St. Anger.

Case in point, The Haunted turned into what would happen if Nickelback and Five Finger Death Punch made a band. I haven't been disappointed in a band in a very long time.

IrritatedTrout
03-17-2011, 05:37 PM
:lol: I can't stand the Haunted so that's really funny news to me.

slapguitarer
03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
So far, my list for albums I've listened to this year is:

1. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous :bowdown:
2. Fear the Fiasco - Hatch
3. Grayceon - All We Destroy
4. Thomas Giles - Pulse
5. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
6. Arafel - For Battles Once Fought

idrinkwine732
03-17-2011, 08:20 PM
http://img.listal.com/image/1754985/600full-varjona-kuljemme-kuolleiden-maassa-cover.jpg

The best album of the year so far.

illuminatus917
03-17-2011, 08:28 PM

I said in January this would probably be the best album of 2011. The way things are going now though, I don't look for that to hold.

idrinkwine732
03-17-2011, 08:33 PM
I said in January this would probably be the best album of 2011. The way things are going now though, I don't look for that to hold.

New EITS is close, and there are a few that I am certain will beat it.

Akumu
03-17-2011, 10:16 PM
http://img.listal.com/image/1754985/600full-varjona-kuljemme-kuolleiden-maassa-cover.jpg

Agreed.

slapguitarer
03-17-2011, 10:29 PM
http://allprotest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/protest_album.jpeg

;)

hellawaits77ny
03-17-2011, 11:52 PM
The Haunted's Unseen just leaked last night.

It is a early contender for the worst album of the year. It almost puts Halford's Made Of Metal to shame. I may even go as far to say that this is the worst Metal album since St. Anger.

Case in point, The Haunted turned into what would happen if Nickelback and Five Finger Death Punch made a band. I haven't been disappointed in a band in a very long time.

Ya know what? I've only heard one song, and it was so bad, I believe I can agree w/ you, as I've read that one song is one of the better ones. Can't remember the title, but it was the first one they leaked. Beyond awful :mad:

I used to like The Haunted. I was listening to The Dead Eye the other day. Then I heard the new song. Then I cried.

MPF
03-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Ya know what? I've only heard one song, and it was so bad, I believe I can agree w/ you, as I've read that one song is one of the better ones. Can't remember the title, but it was the first one they leaked. Beyond awful :mad:

I used to like The Haunted. I was listening to The Dead Eye the other day. Then I heard the new song. Then I cried.

There's only one decent song on the album, The City. Otherwise everything sucks on it.

jhdeity
03-18-2011, 12:26 PM
There's only one decent song on the album, The City. Otherwise everything sucks on it.

Yeah I really liked The City but there are some real shitty songs on there. I seriously doubt it'll be the worst cd I hear in 2011 though.

Some songs have decent moments but turn shitty at times. Like Done.

MPF
03-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Yeah I really liked The City but there are some real shitty songs on there. I seriously doubt it'll be the worst cd I hear in 2011 though.

Some songs have decent moments but turn shitty at times. Like Done.

That's what I was pointing out in the first post about it, It is the 2011 equivilent of Halford's Made Of Metal, one good song, the rest are so fucking bad.

There's absolutely some decent parts in the other songs, but it is followed by complete shit riffs and electronica. Unless I'm looking around for really bad shit this year (FRIDAY FRIDAY!!!!), or if one of my favorite bands let's me down this year, I think this will be the worst album of 2011 I'll hear.

Tesseract on the other hand is an early contender for album of the year.

jhdeity
03-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Tesseract on the other hand is an early contender for album of the year.

How these guys aren't worshipped on this site is totally beyond me. I'm thinking they blow up in 2011 but I thought once people heard the Concealing Fate EP they would blow up but it hasn't happened yet.

MPF
03-19-2011, 12:30 AM
How these guys aren't worshipped on this site is totally beyond me. I'm thinking they blow up in 2011 but I thought once people heard the Concealing Fate EP they would blow up but it hasn't happened yet.

I think until they get mentioned a lot by bigger bands and magazines and shit like that they won't be worshiped. Which sucks sucks because they deserve it.

I also think because they basically released half their upcoming album last year as an EP, might take affect as well. Now that the debut is just about out, they will explode. The Protest The Hero tour will help a lot as well.

mankvill
03-19-2011, 12:33 AM
>implying djent is good

MPF
03-19-2011, 12:35 AM
>implying djent is good

1.) Djent like almost every genre, a few winners a whole lot of losers.
2.) Tesseract is not Djent, That's like calling Dimmu Borgir Death Metal. Is there elements? maybe. But they are far more Progressive Metal then Djent.

mankvill
03-19-2011, 12:39 AM
1.) Djent like almost every genre, a few winners a whole lot of losers.
2.) Tesseract is not Djent, That's like calling Dimmu Borgir Death Metal. Is there elements? maybe. But they are far more Progressive Metal then Djent.

>implying djent

MPF
03-19-2011, 12:46 AM
>implying djent

Just give One a chance and get back to me. If you don't like it, it's all good, but until then...

treghet
03-19-2011, 12:52 AM

I've said I don't agree with the whole djent label, but Tesseract is djent if I ever heard it. Djent is basically progressive / math metal with a specific guitar tone, which is exactly what Tesseract is. So calling them "more progressive metal than djent" really doesn't make sense, since djent IS a form of progressive metal.

MPF
03-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I've said I don't agree with the whole djent label, but Tesseract is djent if I ever heard it. Djent is basically progressive / math metal with a specific guitar tone, which is exactly what Tesseract is. So calling them "more progressive metal than djent" really doesn't make sense, since djent IS a form of progressive metal.

I can see your logic here, and I can't disagree with it.

But to me Djent and Prog are not the same thing. My logic being Most Djent bands find a way to stay in 4/4 while using Math Metal. Using band terms make a riff of 3/4 then a 5/4 riff that equals to 8/8 otherwise known as 4/4. Where as prog doesn't always use Math Metal. They just usually write odd time signatures and sometimes those odd time signature riffs can equal out to Math Metal.

*Long story short, I'm a hard ass when it comes to sub-categorizing genres, I always have been, since people where I live like to call bands like Meshuggah, Opeth, and Strapping Young Lad Screamo...:mad::mad::mad: *

But again I totally see where you are coming from since the guitar does have that tone. It's fair to call them Djent, but I guess I see more of what I was talking about more, then just the Djent tone.

treghet
03-19-2011, 01:11 AM
I can see your logic here, and I can't disagree with it.

But to me Djent and Prog are not the same thing. My logic being Most Djent bands find a way to stay in 4/4 while using Math Metal. Using band terms make a riff of 3/4 then a 5/4 riff that equals to 8/8 otherwise known as 4/4. Where as prog doesn't always use Math Metal. They just usually write odd time signatures and sometimes those odd time signature riffs can equal out to Math Metal.

*Long story short, I'm a hard ass when it comes to sub-categorizing genres, I always have been, since people where I live like to call bands like Meshuggah, Opeth, and Strapping Young Lad Screamo...:mad::mad::mad: *

But again I totally see where you are coming from since the guitar does have that tone. It's fair to call them Djent, but I guess I see more of what I was talking about more, then just the Djent tone.

That all makes sense as well. Djent or not, they are definitely growing in popularity. Personally, they don't interest me, but it's pleasing to see some young bands with talent getting recognized, versus a lot of the other groups out there in today's popular metal scene.

ravenheart
03-19-2011, 04:50 AM
djent IS a form of progressive metal.

No, "Djent" is a made-up, bullshit label. There are no djent bands because it doesn't exist.

Akumu
03-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Honestly, most djent either annoys me or puts me to sleep, but the Concealing Fate EP was pretty great and I'm looking forward to their album. Tesseract succeed in creating an atmosphere that I find really cool.

DethMaiden
03-19-2011, 06:21 AM
As of 3/19:

1. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
3. Altar of Plagues - Mammal
5. Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
6. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
7. Lionize - Destruction Manual
8. Anaal Nathrakh - Passion
9. Subrosa - No Help for the Mighty Ones
10. Darkest Hour - The Human Romance

mastodon421
03-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Up to 14 albums so far. What I've heard of the new Born Of Osiris is fantastic, wouldn't be surprised if that hits the top 5 once I am done listening to it. Need to check new Tessarect and Obscura as well. I listened to the new Rise Against and I thought it sucked. Need to give it another listen, but I am not impressed by it all as of right now. Anyways... my top 10 as of right now.

2.Times Of Grace-The Hymn Of A Broken Man
3.Darkest Hour-The Human Romance
4.Amon Amarth-Surtur Rising
5.Children Of Bodom-Relentless Reckless Forever
6.Thomas Giles-Pulse
7.The Human Abstract-Digital Veil
8.Scale The Summit-The Collective
9.Devildriver-Beast
10.Dropkick Murphys-Going Out In Style

daimonos
03-19-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm a little bit behind...

1. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
2. Rotten Sound - Cursed
3. Vreid - V
4. Grave Desecrator - Insult

Going to purchase soon:
Belphegor, Earth, Ulcerate

Need to check out:
Subrosa, Blaspherian, Trap Them, Deicide, Noisear, and a bunch of other bands I've never even heard of until a couple days ago.

treghet
03-19-2011, 12:18 PM
No, "Djent" is a made-up, bullshit label. There are no djent bands because it doesn't exist.

Did you even read the beginning of my post? :lol:

larvtard
03-19-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm not gonna stress myself over making a list just yet, but here are the 2011 albums I currently have on my iPod that have impressed me:

Trap Them -- darker handcraft
Owen Hart -- earth control
Thomas Giles -- Pulse
Vreid -- V
Mitochondrion -- Parasignoisis
Crowbar -- sever the wicked hand
Burzum -- belus
Iskald -- The sun I carried alone
KEN mode -- venerable
Deicide -- To hell with God
American Heritage -- sedentary
Impiety -- worshippers of the seventh tyranny
Cut Your Teeth -- III
Rotten Sound -- cursed

treghet
03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm not gonna stress myself over making a list just yet, but here are the 2011 albums I currently have on my iPod that have impressed me:

Mitochondrion -- Parasignoisis

Going to give that a listen tonight.

Also, have you listened to the new Ulcerate album? I think you'd enjoy it.

hb420
03-20-2011, 05:56 PM
1. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
2. Deafheaven - Roads To Judah
3. Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
4. Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
5. Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
6. Crowbar - Sever The Wicked Hand
7. Obscura - Omnivum
8. Burzum - Belsus
9. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
10. Grayceon - We Destroy

Best EP of 2011 will be Primate's Draw Back A Stump! That shits awesome :rocker:

slapguitarer
03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
1. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous :bowdown:
4. Thomas Giles - Pulse
5. Tesseract - One
6. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
7. The Human Abstaract - Digital Veil
8. Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
9. Arafel - For Battles Once Fought

As of 3/20.

MPF
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
This is in NO WAY in order, but this is pretty much my top 11 as of right now:

TesseracT- One
Obscura- Omnivium
Evergrey- Glorious Collision
Amon Amarth- Sutur Rising
Darkest Hour- The Human Romance
Hotel Of The Laughing Tree- Terror And Everything After
Long Distance Calling- Long Distance Calling
Woods Of Desolation- Torn Beyond Reason
Scale The Summit- The Collective
Thomas Giles- Pulse

BloodoftheKings
03-20-2011, 07:53 PM
This is in NO WAY in order, but this is pretty much my top 11 as of right now:

TesseracT- One
Obscura- Omnivium
Evergrey- Glorious Collision
Amon Amarth- Sutur Rising
Darkest Hour- The Human Romance
Hotel Of The Laughing Tree- Terror And Everything After
Long Distance Calling- Long Distance Calling
Woods Of Desolation- Torn Beyond Reason
Scale The Summit- The Collective
Thomas Giles- Pulse

Im suprised you know about this band, they're a local band by here and they're on a label that my local record store started. What are they like I never listened to them.

MPF
03-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Im suprised you know about this band, they're a local band by here and they're on a label that my local record store started. What are they ike I never listened to them.

A buddy of mine, who will be hosting a radio show with me about Music on a local station *more on that soon* introduced me to these guys earlier this year and I've been hooked ever since.

It is very hard to describe these guys with words. the best I can say is they have a Fair To Midland vibe, but not as far out and not nearly as high pitched vocals, and also a little more indie. Its certainly not brutal, but it has it's heavier moments. But if you like quality rock songwriting, this is a great album to check out.

I usually have 1-2 token non metal albums as my favorites of the year. This year will most likely be Hotel Of The Laughing Tree and Dredg *although sadly I may have to 2nd guess myself on the latter*

illuminatus917
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
How To Destroy Angels is due to release an EP sometime this summer.

BloodoftheKings
03-21-2011, 11:49 AM
A buddy of mine, who will be hosting a radio show with me about Music on a local station *more on that soon* introduced me to these guys earlier this year and I've been hooked ever since.

It is very hard to describe these guys with words. the best I can say is they have a Fair To Midland vibe, but not as far out and not nearly as high pitched vocals, and also a little more indie. Its certainly not brutal, but it has it's heavier moments. But if you like quality rock songwriting, this is a great album to check out.

I usually have 1-2 token non metal albums as my favorites of the year. This year will most likely be Hotel Of The Laughing Tree and Dredg *although sadly I may have to 2nd guess myself on the latter*

Thye play free shows at the record store every now and then and they will on record store day so maybe i'll check em out then.

MPF
03-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Thye play free shows at the record store every now and then and they will on record store day so maybe i'll check em out then.

They are worth checking out. They may or may not be hard to get into. For me I got into them on the first listen, but I can see how others may not dig it.

larvtard
03-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Going to give that a listen tonight.

Also, have you listened to the new Ulcerate album? I think you'd enjoy it.

I heard the first song on the Invisible Oranges stream. Didn't make it to the next song :lol:
I'll give them another try in the future, though.

NecroRob
03-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Any of you brutal death metal fans need to check out the new Benighted album NOW. It's brutal death metal at its core, but there's also a bit of a grind thing going on too. Reminds me of Aborted kind of. It's great stuff :D

treghet
03-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Any of you brutal death metal fans need to check out the new Benighted album NOW. It's brutal death metal at its core, but there's also a bit of a grind thing going on too. Reminds me of Aborted kind of. It's great stuff :D

New Benighted album?! :eek: I need to listen to this.

christopher
03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
The newest Hank III release, Hillbilly Joker has been leaked. I would write a review about it...but it was released as a bootleg over 10 years ago under the name This Aint Country and its the same exact thing, except a little polished up.

pharmD_metalhead
03-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Some albums I like so far this year:

--Scale the Summit - The Collective : I pretty much agree with everybody else on this forum that this album is perfect.

--Protest the Hero - Scurrilous : Wasn't sure about this album during the first listen. I guess I was expecting Fortress II. But the more I listen the more I like it.

--The Human Abstract - Digital Veil : I forgot about this band after their last album, which wasn't that good (imo). But they're back on the map with this album. All I have to say is Digital Veil is fucking great. Probably my favorite album this year as of now.

--Born of Osiris - The Discovery : Not completely sure about this one yet. I'm starting to like it a little more after my third listen. I guess you could say this album is more "mature" than their previous two. One thing for sure the guitars on this album are fucking sick.

Some bands with new albums (or EPs) that "should" be released this year that I'm really looking forward to.

Amon Amarth
BTBAM :rocker:
Sylosis
Painted in Exile
Opeth
Mastodon
All Shall Perish
August Burns Red
The Faceless
Oh, Sleeper

PlayingWithSkulls
03-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Opeth

I am very happy to hear that Opeth is having a new album this year. Everything they have done is amazing and I have high hopes that this album will be the same.

slapguitarer
03-23-2011, 10:09 PM
1. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
4. Mogwai - Harcore Will Never Die, But You Will
5. Thomas Giles - Pulse
6. Tesseract - One
7. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
8. The Human Abstaract - Digital Veil
9. Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
10. Arafel - For Battles Once Fought

As of 3/23

PlayingWithSkulls
03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Not sure how many people here like them but I heard a few songs from the new Rise Against, doesn't sound bad at all.

mastodon421
03-24-2011, 04:35 AM
Not sure how many people here like them but I heard a few songs from the new Rise Against, doesn't sound bad at all.

I actually like Rise Against a lot, but I thought their new one sucked.

Updated Top 10
2.Born Of Osiris-The Discovery(haters gonna hate)
3.Times Of Grace-The Hymn Of A Broken Man
4.Darkest Hour-The Human Romance
5.Amon Amarth-Surtur Rising
6.Children Of Bodom-Relentless Reckless Forever
7.Thomas Giles-Pulse
8.The Human Abstract-Digital Veil
9.Scale The Summit-The Collective
10.Devildriver-Beast

BloodoftheKings
03-24-2011, 04:05 PM
4/11
2. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
3. Motorhead - The World Is Yours
4. Red Fang - Murder The Mountains
5. Weedeater - Jason The Dragon
6. Obscura - Omnivium
7. Destruction - Day Of Reckoning
8. Havok - Time Is Up
9. Agnostic Front - My Life My Way
10. Tesseract - One

larvtard
03-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Ok, gonna write some short blurbs on albums I've heard recently...

Meek is Murder -- Algorithms

Holy shit, I did not expect to like this at all. Axl and Vince over at MetalSucks have been pimping this shit a while now, and obviously those two (but mostly Axl) have shitty taste, so I hesitated on the stream. But damn, this is actually pretty good. hardcore/grind/mathcore, definitely recommended to fans of Converge.

KEN mode -- Venerable

Haven't listened to much of the genre, but apparently this is noise rock meets hardcore or something. Hmmm. I would label this as mathcore though, it's technical as hell.

Crucified Mortals --

Primitive-sounding thrash, almost borderline blackened thrash at times. I like it.

Primate -- Draw Back a Stump

Damn this is rockin'! But seriously, the rawk! Where did it come from? I thought these guys were simply hardcore/grind...nah. They sound pretty original to me! Very short EP, to say the least, but at least it shows some potential. I need to see them live already...

Parasytic -- Poison Minds

Pretty good metalllic hardcore. Vocals are kinda annoying, but eh. Lotsa influences at play here, give it a listen.

The Swan King -- Eyes Like Knives

Well, this is definitely out of my ordinary music range, but I like it. Post-hardcore (not screamo, mind you) that's sorta post-punk, technical, and indie at times.

VYGR -- Hypersleep

Not quite sure how to describe this that well. Post-sludge, maybe? It's melodic and expansive as fuck, I'll tell you that. Very spacey. I'm sure this would be good to listen to stoned.

Mastodon -- Live At The Aragon

Well I'll be damned! Everyone, and I mean everyone, complains about Mastodon's ability (or lack thereof) to pull off their clean vocals live - and I never noticed it. Nope, not one bit. But after listening to Live At The Aragon, I can confirm that everyone else is right. Holy shit, they're so awful it's hilarious and pathetic at the same time. But the second set is tits :horns:

Mitochondrion -- Parasignosis

Pretty impressive blackened death metal. I like almost all blackened death metal I hear, though. But yeah, this is really good, and it's pretty technical too. Not too much, of course, just enough to make it interesting. Album's sorta repetitive, though.

DethMaiden
03-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Holy shit I just watched Oblivion from the Mastodon DVD. They are easily the worst live band of any good studio band. :lol: :lol:

treghet
03-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Meek is Murder -- Algorithms

Holy shit, I did not expect to like this at all. Axl and Vince over at MetalSucks have been pimping this shit a while now, and obviously those two (but mostly Axl) have shitty taste, so I hesitated on the stream. But damn, this is actually pretty good. hardcore/grind/mathcore, definitely recommended to fans of Converge.

I agree with everything you have said here.

larvtard
03-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I agree with everything you have said here.

:D

Holy shit I just watched Oblivion from the Mastodon DVD. They are easily the worst live band of any good studio band. :lol: :lol:

Touche.

DethMaiden
03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Cutting my Scurrilous review to a reasonable length for the paper was the hardest thing I've had to do today. Still 20 words over the cap but fuck it, I'm editing this goddamn paper.