Justice - Audio, Video, Disco
Arkona - Slovo
MaYaN - Quarterpast
Obscura - Omnivium
Adavant - Tale Untold
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

Rocco44
10-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Here's a preliminary list not in order... I've been so busy I've been behind on my listening, so this could change quite a bit in a couple months

40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room
Loss - Despond
Primordial - Redemption At The Puritan's Hand
Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning
Russian Circles - Empros
YOB - Atma
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Premonition 13 - 13
Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
Lightbearer - Lapsus
Scale The Summit - The Collective

Natrlhi
10-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen though. Mournful Congregation, Vektor, Cormorant, Profetus, Lux Incerta, 65daysofstatic, etc are yet to come.

That *shels album is just a monster in some ways and soothing in others. A top 15 caliber release, no doubt, with a top 10 possibility.Huh - I didn't know either of these bands had new shit coming out - especially 65, since they just released an album last year. I'll have to get on those.

EDIT: Wait, there's no new album by 65...
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/12/18/129056537352867301.jpg

MPF
10-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Huh - I didn't know either of these bands had new shit coming out - especially 65, since they just released an album last year. I'll have to get on those.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/12/18/129056537352867301.jpg

I think he means the Silent Running soundtrack. Which I'm interested in hearing as well.

christopher
10-26-2011, 12:42 AM
I've never heard of 65daysofstatic but FUCK!!

Bands need to stop annoying me with their instrumental bullshit. I looked them up on wiki and saw the were associated with The Cure and Circle Take the Square, so I was really interested until I saw instrumental. I seriously can't stand a band without vocals. The lyrics will always be the main part of how I judge a band.

Epidemic Reign
10-26-2011, 12:59 AM
I've never heard of 65daysofstatic but FUCK!!

Bands need to stop annoying me with their instrumental bullshit. I looked them up on wiki and saw the were associated with The Cure and Circle Take the Square, so I was really interested until I saw instrumental. I seriously can't stand a band without vocals. The lyrics will always be the main part of how I judge a band.

Yeah, fuck you Russian Circles and Justice!

christopher
10-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Yeah, fuck you Russian Circles and Justice!

I kept seeing that name, but never got around to looking em up. Yeah fuck instrumental bands

Epidemic Reign
10-26-2011, 01:08 AM
I kept seeing that name, but never got around to looking em up. Yeah fuck instrumental bands

:lol: which one? Everybody here talks about Russian Circles but I think they're overrated. Justice actually kicks ass though ;) They're only semi-instrumental.

christopher
10-26-2011, 01:17 AM
:lol: which one? Everybody here talks about Russian Circles but I think they're overrated. Justice actually kicks ass though ;) They're only semi-instrumental.

I've never hear of Justice. I'm hating on RC. What is Justice?

MPF
10-26-2011, 01:43 AM

I think this is the only time we have ever disagreed.....I think we are now doomed.

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

Epidemic Reign
10-26-2011, 01:48 AM
I've never hear of Justice. I'm hating on RC. What is Justice?

Justice is a Fench Electonica/rock duo. A lot of their music is instrumental but they sometimes bring vocalists onto their songs. Check out this for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KoP0MnyFAA

christopher
10-26-2011, 01:58 AM
I think this is the only time we have ever disagreed.....I think we are now doomed.

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

NOOOOOOOoooo.....

I'm a big vocal/lyrics guy. If there is an instrumental song, then I have problems getting into it. The biggest thing that has ever drawn me to music is how well the vocals are. I'm drunk and going to sleep and will explain more manana...

Justice is a Fench Electonica/rock duo. A lot of their music is instrumental but they sometimes bring vocalists onto their songs. Check out this for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KoP0MnyFAA

I don't like...

GarageMetal468
10-26-2011, 05:15 AM

Blotted Science would like a word with you.

Indestructible
10-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Is it just me or are you guys not looking that hard? The new My Dying Bride is out there. Been out there for a while too.

Is it on any torrent sites? I haven't seen it on any.

illuminatus917
10-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Huh - I didn't know either of these bands had new shit coming out - especially 65, since they just released an album last year. I'll have to get on those.

I think he means the Silent Running soundtrack. Which I'm interested in hearing as well.

Yeah, technically it's not an album (or so that's my impression), it's a soundtrack. They did a live score earlier in the year for a film at Sensoria Festival. I'm assuming this is just a studio recording of that.

Everybody here talks about Russian Circles but I think they're overrated.

There're plenty of better instrumental bands, but I wouldn't say they're overrated.

Natrlhi
10-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Everybody here talks about Russian Circles but I think they're overrated.

I'm hating on RC.You two can get the fuck out of here right now.

There're plenty of better instrumental bands, but I wouldn't say they're overrated.You can stay, but I'm not too happy with you right now. Go sit in the corner and think about what you just said.

illuminatus917
10-26-2011, 08:31 AM
You can stay, but I'm not too happy with you right now. Go sit in the corner and think about what you just said.

:bawling:

I've always preferred bands that are more dynamic. Longer compositions, build-ups, colossal arrangements, different instruments. It's why no Russian Circles album will be the greatness that is Notes for the Synthesis. Or Plains of the Purple Buffalo. That's not to say they're not brilliant in their own right, though.

Natrlhi
10-26-2011, 08:36 AM
:bawling:

I've always preferred bands that are more dynamic. Longer compositions, build-ups, different instruments. It's why no Russian Circles album will be the greatness that is Notes for the Synthesis. Or Plains of the Purple Buffalo. That's not to say they're not brilliant in their own right, though.More dynamic? Are you and I listening to the same fucking band? RC goes from stomping your face in with size 13 steel-toed boots to making you weep at the sheer beauty of it all, all within the same album (to wit: "Station" followed by "Verses"). How much more dynamic are you expecting, son?!?

EDIT:

For the record, I'm not familiar with The Seven Mile Journey, and I haven't heard the new *shels. They may both very well be awesome.

I'm just saying that Russian Circles is one of the best bands out there today, and anybody who doesn't agree with me - whether it's about Russian Circles or anything else, is just plain wrong.

jd091
10-26-2011, 09:48 AM
You two can get the fuck out of here right now.

You can stay, but I'm not too happy with you right now. Go sit in the corner and think about what you just said.

:party:

illuminatus917
10-26-2011, 10:16 AM
More dynamic? Are you and I listening to the same fucking band?

DO NOT PATRONIZE ME NATRLHI. YOU HEAR ME. DO NOT PATRONIZE ME.

I'm incredibly surprised to find myself in a position discussing anything but pros about Russian Circles. "Dynamics" might not've been the wisest word choice there. They are pretty damn dynamic, fundamentally speaking. I believe I said there're plenty of better instrumental bands out there... if we're talking of bands/projects currently making music, I might be able to count them on one hand. It's based completely on preference of style. For post- to be ideal it has to have violins, piano, (in the case of *shels, brass), whatever else.

MPF
10-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Falloch- Where Distant Spirits Remain

...that is all!

illuminatus917
10-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Falloch- Where Distant Spirits Remain

...that is all!

Guess I'm gonna have to listen to this after all the hype.

MPF
10-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Guess I'm gonna have to listen to this after all the hype.

One listen and my mind is blown. Agalloch/Alcest/Primordial....its the perfect combination.

GarageMetal468
10-26-2011, 02:36 PM
One listen and my mind is blown. Agalloch/Alcest/Primordial....its the perfect combination.

Well I know who I'm checking out this weekend!

DethMaiden
10-26-2011, 02:40 PM

...minus anything remotely heavy. Snooze button.

MPF
10-26-2011, 03:20 PM
...minus anything remotely heavy. Snooze button.

It's heavy to me at times. Not everything needs to be heavy and brutal. I like music for music, not how heavy/light something is.

illuminatus917
10-26-2011, 03:25 PM
...minus anything remotely heavy.

I don't think so. I think the problem is the lack of anything truly memorable.

Nater
10-26-2011, 05:07 PM
I was kinda let down by the new Ghoul album. It didn't have that touch that the rest of the albums had. It really lacked that awesome factor and it was just kinda there.

DethMaiden
10-26-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't think so. I think the problem is the lack of anything truly memorable.

Well, that's actually the bigger point. I'm perfectly fine with unheavy albums. Souvenirs was almost entirely unheavy. The Falloch disc blows goats because it's boring.

ravenheart
10-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Wait, that Falloch album is getting hype?

Rocco44
10-26-2011, 06:01 PM
More dynamic? Are you and I listening to the same fucking band? RC goes from stomping your face in with size 13 steel-toed boots to making you weep at the sheer beauty of it all, all within the same album (to wit: "Station" followed by "Verses"). How much more dynamic are you expecting, son?!?

EDIT:

For the record, I'm not familiar with The Seven Mile Journey, and I haven't heard the new *shels. They may both very well be awesome.

I'm just saying that Russian Circles is one of the best bands out there today, and anybody who doesn't agree with me - whether it's about Russian Circles or anything else, is just plain wrong.
haha, I got your back bro. Russian Circles are one of my favorite bands and are amazing live. My only critique of them would be that they seem to have a song or two on each album that doesn't measure up to their other stuff but not many bands have perfect albums either. I think they are the benchmark of combining post rock and metal.

I do enjoy many other instrumental bands like Scale the Summit, Mono, Pelican, Animals As Leaders, Cloudkicker, Explosions In The Sky, Long Distance Calling etc

illuminatus917
10-26-2011, 06:11 PM
I do enjoy many other instrumental bands like Scale the Summit, Mono, Pelican, Animals As Leaders, Cloudkicker, Explosions In The Sky, Long Distance Calling etc

One of the few bands currently better than Russian Circles.

DethMaiden
10-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Whoever linked to the new Lantlos, it's pretty good but nowhere near the level of .neon.

powerslave_85
10-26-2011, 06:44 PM
David Comes To Life and Celestial Lineage are currently duking it out for my #2 spot.

DethMaiden
10-26-2011, 06:48 PM
David Comes To Life and Celestial Lineage are currently duking it out for my #2 spot.

My #1 and #2 respectively. Your #1 ain't close for me though, sorry man. ;)

powerslave_85
10-26-2011, 07:07 PM
I think they would have cracked your top 10 if you'd seen them live. Oh well. Not accounting for taste, I suppose :D

DethMaiden
10-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Have you heard the War on Drugs record? It's my #4 right now, and it seems up your alley. Springsteen meets shoegaze to oversimplify it. Really great guitar rock.

powerslave_85
10-27-2011, 02:56 AM
Ehhhhhh. Not into shoegaze at ALL, and the whole "Springsteen meets _____ !" thing is pretty played out now, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Epidemic Reign
10-27-2011, 02:58 AM
Ehhhhhh. Not into shoegaze at ALL, and the whole "Springsteen meets _____ !" thing is pretty played out now, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Springsteen Meets Darkthrone ON ICE... coming to a venue near you!

powerslave_85
10-27-2011, 03:25 AM
I'd go see that :lol:

christopher
10-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm checking out Falloch and enjoying it a lot

MPF
10-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm checking out Falloch and enjoying it a lot

I'm glad someone else does. I think it is fantastic.

christopher
10-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm glad someone else does. I think it is fantastic.

This album is probably going to be in my top or a while. I love everything about it. They lyrics, vocals, the instrumentation. Perfection.

Natrlhi
10-27-2011, 11:17 PM
DO NOT PATRONIZE ME NATRLHI. YOU HEAR ME. DO NOT PATRONIZE ME.

I'm incredibly surprised to find myself in a position discussing anything but pros about Russian Circles. "Dynamics" might not've been the wisest word choice there. They are pretty damn dynamic, fundamentally speaking. I believe I said there're plenty of better instrumental bands out there... if we're talking of bands/projects currently making music, I might be able to count them on one hand. It's based completely on preference of style. For post- to be ideal it has to have violins, piano, (in the case of *shels, brass), whatever else.I know you were only kidding about the patronizing (at least I hope you were), because I wouldn't do you like that - at least not intentionally. I respect your opinions a great deal. Plus, I was doing what I often do and pretending to be a whole lot more serious than I really am about the subject at hand. Sometimes it turns out to be funny (the desired effect), and sometimes folks take it seriously, which is not my intent. Anyway, I just thought I would point out that RC's last album "Geneva" had violin and cello ("Hexed All"), as well as trumpet and trombone ("When the Mountain Comes to Muhammed"). Just sayin'. ;)

haha, I got your back bro. Russian Circles are one of my favorite bands and are amazing live. My only critique of them would be that they seem to have a song or two on each album that doesn't measure up to their other stuff but not many bands have perfect albums either. I think they are the benchmark of combining post rock and metal.

I do enjoy many other instrumental bands like Scale the Summit, Mono, Pelican, Animals As Leaders, Cloudkicker, Explosions In The Sky, Long Distance Calling etcAt least this motherfucker isn't totally insane / wrong.

One of the few bands currently better than Russian Circles.I shore do likes me some Mono, I won't deny that. I've seen both bands live, and they've rocked my world in each and every case, but Mono does their damage in a whole different way than RC does, and so I find it pretty difficult to compare the two bands on a level playing field (even though they're both in roughly the same genre).

(Keep in mind I could have just said "nigga you carazy", but with you I prefer to take a more enlightened approach. ;))

illuminatus917
10-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I know you were only kidding about the patronizing (at least I hope you were), because I wouldn't do you like that - at least not intentionally. I respect your opinions a great deal. Plus, I was doing what I often do and pretending to be a whole lot more serious than I really am about the subject at hand. Sometimes it turns out to be funny (the desired effect), and sometimes folks take it seriously, which is not my intent. Anyway, I just thought I would point out that RC's last album "Geneva" had violin and cello ("Hexed All"), as well as trumpet and trombone ("When the Mountain Comes to Muhammed"). Just sayin'. ;)

:lol: I know. I was kidding. If I were to actually become angry over someone sounding condescending towards me I'd be a total hypocrite.

Funny, I've never listened to Geneva. :eyes: I've only heard Enter, Station (though its been a while), and Empros. Even still, I'd be willing to bet strings weren't predominant components of the album. When I think of Russian Circles I don't think of a band characterized by strings or more classic-esque post-rock instruments, as compared to bands like Mono or A Silver Mt. Zion.

I shore do likes me some Mono, I won't deny that. I've seen both bands live, and they've rocked my world in each and every case, but Mono does their damage in a whole different way than RC does, and so I find it pretty difficult to compare the two bands on a level playing field (even though they're both in roughly the same genre).

(Keep in mind I could have just said "nigga you carazy", but with you I prefer to take a more enlightened approach. ;))

Yeah, I only compared the two because we were talking about instrumental bands. They share very little in terms of sound. I'm on about my fourth spin of Empros, and maybe it's just me, but I think it's a great deal better than their first two albums (which is a fairly significant statement).

MPF
10-28-2011, 11:14 PM
A few updates on wikiLeaks (not actually on wikiLeaks)

New Cynic, Riot, Hammers Of Misfortune, Indian, Haken, and Lantlos.

Natrlhi
10-29-2011, 12:53 AM
If I were to actually become angry over someone sounding condescending towards me I'd be a total hypocrite.Originally, I wasn't going to comment on this part of your reply, but I just have to say that I respect you a ton for saying that. It takes a measure of maturity and introspection not often found in folks your age to make a comment like that. Kudos.

Funny, I've never listened to Geneva. :eyes: I've only heard Enter, Station (though its been a while), and Empros. Even still, I'd be willing to bet strings weren't predominant components of the album. When I think of Russian Circles I don't think of a band characterized by strings or more classic-esque post-rock instruments, as compared to bands like Mono or A Silver Mt. Zion.Well, ya got me there. The strings and brass definitely do not feature prominently. They are really just enhancements. They do work rather well, though, in their place - which I think is a testament to the songwriting chops of the band. Also, Geneva is really fantastic in my opinion. A few folks didn't seem to care for it as much as RC's first two albums, but I for one can't really understand why. I think a few of RC's best songs are on there ("Geneva", "Malko", Fathom"). You really have to check it out. The title track alone is worth the price of admission.

I'm on about my fourth spin of Empros, and maybe it's just me, but I think it's a great deal better than their first two albums (which is a fairly significant statement).This is a surprising statement. I like the album a ton, don't get me wrong - but I'm finding it difficult to rank among their best. Then again, one of my favorite comments about this band is that if forced to rank their albums, my typical response is:

Enter = Station = Geneva = Empros

So there you have it. :lol:

Natrlhi
10-29-2011, 12:58 AM
A few updates on wikiLeaks (not actually on wikiLeaks)

New Cynic, Riot, Hammers Of Misfortune, Indian, Haken, and Lantlos.Indian has been out since April, man. :lol:

But seriously - it is tits, though. :fist:

MPF
10-29-2011, 01:28 AM
Indian has been out since April, man. :lol:

But seriously - it is tits, though. :fist:

Really? It just showed up on What.CD about a week ago. I figured it was new.

Its damn good stuff though. Some of The Best Doom Metal I've heard.

christopher
10-29-2011, 02:06 AM
Really? It just showed up on What.CD about a week ago. I figured it was new.

Its damn good stuff though. Some of The Best Doom Metal I've heard.

I just looked it up and its been out since April 15th. I was tripping out for a second cause I thought it wasn't officially released yet when you made that post. I was wondering how it was so easy for me to find the album a month or so ago. I can't wait to see them with High on Fire in a few weeks.

SomewhereInTime72
10-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Just found out this album exists and I love it. http://iapetus-store.com/album/absalom

Tony Levin + Pat Mastelotto playing dat awesome prog. It's basically modern King Crimson without Fripp and it's actually awesome I already like it more than the project Fripp was actually involved with this year. :cool:

Natrlhi
10-30-2011, 01:09 AM
I can't wait to see them with High on Fire in a few weeks.
http://files.redux.com/images/49c89f8771fa9dab044f1ac1a97af418/raw

You fucking FUCKING FUCKING lucky West Coast bastards. :mad: :bouville: :flame:

I would beat an old lady to death with a small infant for the chance to see High on Fire, IntrOnaut and Indian on the same stage. You fuckers.

christopher
10-30-2011, 02:02 AM

I would beat an old lady to death with a small infant for the chance to see High on Fire, IntrOnaut and Indian on the same stage. You fuckers.

Did anyone mention to you that Chipotle is sponsoring this tour? Everyone who attends gets free burritos to munch on while enjoying some :rocker:High on Fire, Bitches:rocker:

Natrlhi
10-30-2011, 03:06 AM
:lol: What's the only way this tour could get any better? Right there - you described it. Well played, sir. :D

w00tasaurus
10-30-2011, 05:06 AM
I've never really listened to Krisiun..their new album sounds like some pretty solid death metal though.

slapguitarer
10-30-2011, 10:38 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I can't make my date due to the fact that I'm not legal to drink. :bouville:

DethMaiden
10-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Not crazy about the new Russian Circles partway into listen #1. The first two albums are amazing, but the last one (apart from the brilliant "When the Mountain Comes to Mohammad") and this one are just kinda dull.

EDIT: It isn't BAD, it's just the same thing they've already done three times. I think it's hard for instrumental bands to avoid self-plagiarism.

illuminatus917
10-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Not crazy about the new Russian Circles partway into listen #1. The first two albums are amazing, but the last one (apart from the brilliant "When the Mountain Comes to Mohammad") and this one are just kinda dull.

EDIT: It isn't BAD, it's just the same thing they've already done three times. I think it's hard for instrumental bands to avoid self-plagiarism.

Yeah, I've been listening to Enter, Station, and Empros over the past two days, and I no longer agree with my statement about Empros being a great deal better than the first two. There's a slightly different vibe to it though, whether it be black metal or something else, or maybe just a more mature band writing slightly more solid material that "flows" better than their early works. I don't think it's a continuation of their prior efforts at all.

I don't necessarily think a band gets "stuck in a rut" merely by being instrumental. However, I do think post-rock bands are more likely, or perhaps in a more vulnerable position, to get "stuck in a rut" simply because they continue to write material that doesn't branch out in any way. Explosions in the Sky perhaps being the best example. I don't think the absence of vocals has anything to do with it. And I wouldn't consider Russian Circles one of these bands.

illuminatus917
10-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Albums I need to check out in the next few days:

Puscifer
Wolvhammer
Insomnium
Florence + the Machine
Tom Waits
Skeletonwitch

larvtard
10-30-2011, 04:32 PM
new Krisiun is fantastic, such a good death metal album from an amazing death metal band.

I like the All Pigs Must Die full-length, as well. I can hear Converge and Trap Them in it, for sure, but this album's a whole beast of its own.

Nater
10-30-2011, 05:53 PM
I've never listened to Krisiun til I took the recs of some people around here and the album is solid all the way through. Kinda off topic but what else should by them should I listen too?

daimonos
10-30-2011, 10:32 PM
I've never listened to Krisiun til I took the recs of some people around here and the album is solid all the way through. Kinda off topic but what else should by them should I listen too?

The only one I have is AssassiNation, and it's fucking great.

Div
10-30-2011, 10:58 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KFhwTuW6RL4/TqCnqLS9nLI/AAAAAAAAA_E/OfCDorNfQ8I/s570/Tom%252520Wood.gif

'sup motherfuckers

christopher
10-30-2011, 11:06 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KFhwTuW6RL4/TqCnqLS9nLI/AAAAAAAAA_E/OfCDorNfQ8I/s570/Tom%252520Wood.gif

'sup motherfuckers

How is it? I really don't like his vocals on most albums.. I really like Warm Beer and Cold Women though

Div
10-30-2011, 11:22 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EztX9Jru1zQ/TqCnqBOEhmI/AAAAAAAAA_I/qcxFY1Xc9B4/s525/Tom%252520Jump.gif

his "unique" voice is part of the artform, this guy just oozes style. the new album is groovy as fuck. not as far on the bizarre scale as swordfishtrombones, but still pretty out there with some tracks.

christopher
11-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Four songs into the new Steel Panther album and really digging it. Supersonic Sex Machine is such an awesome song!!

jd091
11-01-2011, 11:30 PM

'sup motherfuckers

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llryvdr8fy1qaonveo1_500.jpg

oh you know nuthin'

just making tons of money and being the best singer evar

christopher
11-01-2011, 11:32 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llryvdr8fy1qaonveo1_500.jpg

oh you know nuthin'

just making tons of money and being the best singer evar

haha what?

Epidemic Reign
11-02-2011, 12:45 AM
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/images/covers/vallenfyre-a-fragile-king-20111006161942.jpg
Vallenfyre - A Fragile King

Fans of death/doom, I strongly urge you to listen to this NOW.... new project from Paradise Lost lead guitarist/co-founder Gregor Mackintosh.

Very similar to OLD Paradise Lost :party:

Indestructible
11-02-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm liking the new Iced Earth album(Dystopia) alot more now. I don't know why I didn't before.

Also, the new Machine Head(Unto The Locust) might be my album of the year.

IrritatedTrout
11-02-2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/images/covers/vallenfyre-a-fragile-king-20111006161942.jpg
Vallenfyre - A Fragile King

Fans of death/doom, I strongly urge you to listen to this NOW.... new project from Paradise Lost lead guitarist/co-founder Gregor Mackintosh.

Very similar to OLD Paradise Lost :party:

Sweet artwork.

dcmetal108
11-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Terror's reissue of Keepers Of The Faith is in my top 10 of 2011. Thats how good it is!

jd091
11-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Terror's reissue of Keepers Of The Faith is in my top 10 of 2011. Thats how good it is!

I mean, it's the same album as the 2010 edition, just comes with a DVD. :lol: Definitely my 3rd favorite album by them, though.

mankvill
11-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Just keep in mind it won't count in the MS.com end of year poll! ;)

jd091
11-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Just keep in mind it won't count in the MS.com end of year poll! ;)

Speaking of which... FUCK 2011. Way too many good releases! :lol: I haven't updated in a while, so I'll do that:

1. Black Dahlia Murder
2. Tesseract
3. Origin
4. Cannabis Corpse
5. Harms Way
6. Opeth
7. Trapped Under Ice
8. Title Fight
9. Hate Eternal
10. Mastodon

Pretty eclectic. And I still have to check out the new Animals as Leaders and Russian Circles, both of which I feel will climb up onto here.

DethMaiden
11-02-2011, 09:55 PM
David Lynch's album is probably in my top 20. If you know me, this should not surprise you. It's a pretty perfect translation of his films to audio.

jhdeity
11-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Speaking of which... FUCK 2011. Way too many good releases! :lol: I haven't updated in a while, so I'll do that:

1. Black Dahlia Murder
2. Tesseract
3. Origin
4. Cannabis Corpse
5. Harms Way
6. Opeth
7. Trapped Under Ice
8. Title Fight
9. Hate Eternal
10. Mastodon

Pretty eclectic. And I still have to check out the new Animals as Leaders and Russian Circles, both of which I feel will climb up onto here.

The fact you have a djent band #2 and haven't heard AAL which is every bit as good as Tesseract if not better shows some serious maturity in my eyes. I hate music labels but those 2 are incredible I don't care what they're called or categorized as. Nice job and yes.. Very eclectic.

jd091
11-03-2011, 09:55 AM
The fact you have a djent band #2 and haven't heard AAL which is every bit as good as Tesseract if not better shows some serious maturity in my eyes. I hate music labels but those 2 are incredible I don't care what they're called or categorized as. Nice job and yes.. Very eclectic.

I think you're being serious and not a sarcastic asshole to me, so thanks! :lol:

Oh god. I love Tesseract so much. Call it/label it what you want, but One is incredible. And not just the guitars or whatever: the singing is amazing on it also. Probably my favorite vocals on any album that's come out this year.

I don't want to torrent the new AAL since I'm on college wi-fi, and it isn't on mediafire or iTunes or anything yet, so I'll probably just snatch it up next time I bring my laptop to a friend's apartment. From the couple songs I've heard, though, it's really good.

adamclark52
11-03-2011, 10:25 AM
I know it's not metal but the new Coldplay is excellent.

jhdeity
11-03-2011, 10:32 AM
I think you're being serious and not a sarcastic asshole to me, so thanks! :lol:

Oh god. I love Tesseract so much. Call it/label it what you want, but One is incredible. And not just the guitars or whatever: the singing is amazing on it also. Probably my favorite vocals on any album that's come out this year.

I don't want to torrent the new AAL since I'm on college wi-fi, and it isn't on mediafire or iTunes or anything yet, so I'll probably just snatch it up next time I bring my laptop to a friend's apartment. From the couple songs I've heard, though, it's really good.

Maybe it's because I heard Tesseract so much earlier but AAL blew me away from the 1st song. I can't even believe how good they've become. Maybe it'll wear off some but if you love Tesseract I can't imagine you not being blown away by AAL.

ShatteredFlame
11-03-2011, 01:21 PM
The new Cynic has been a good sleeper pill for me these past few days. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just very relaxing to listen. Most of it doesn't sound like Cynic at all actually, but still I have no problem with it because it is overall a really satisfying listen, I expected to hate it with how unnecessary Re-Traced was.

New Jedi Mind Tricks is also out for anyone interested....I honestly don't like them that much :eyes:

mastodon421
11-03-2011, 02:34 PM
The new Cynic has been a good sleeper pill for me these past few days. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just very relaxing to listen. Most of it doesn't sound like Cynic at all actually, but still I have no problem with it because it is overall a really satisfying listen, I expected to hate it with how unnecessary Re-Traced was.

New Jedi Mind Tricks is also out for anyone interested....I honestly don't like them that much :eyes:

I am a huge Jedi Mind Tricks fan, but the album is nothing special. Not really bad, but it's easily their worst album. Jus Allah needs to leave again, his presence is hurting the group.

GarageMetal468
11-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Really looking forward to hearing the new Krisiun this weekend.

illuminatus917
11-03-2011, 06:39 PM
So I can't decide where to place Mournful Congregation...

Definitely one of the top doom albums of the year.

xa123
11-04-2011, 08:28 AM
The Devil's Blood- The Thousandfold Epicentre streaming: http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/45269872#luisterpaal.45269872

On my second listen right now, pretty good stuff.

jd091
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM

1. Black Dahlia Murder
2. Tesseract
3. Origin
4. Cannabis Corpse
5. Harms Way
6. Opeth
7. Trapped Under Ice
8. Title Fight
9. Hate Eternal
10. Mastodon

Ah, shit, I forgot about the new Unearth! Definitely the release I was most surprised about this year. At least #3 for me.

BloodoftheKings
11-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Ghoul's new album "Transmission Zero" is streaming here. (http://downloads.tankcrimes.com/album/transmission-zero)

larvtard
11-06-2011, 08:13 AM
My #1 is now Black Cobra - Invernal.

But to be honest, I was high as fuck at the time...

MPF
11-06-2011, 08:39 PM
I've been agonizing over my top 20 of 2011, and narrowed it down to 21. It's such a tough choice deciding which album is getting the axe, since I don't want to cut any of them.

I will at some point tonight. Gotta start making my top 20 show eventually.

hellawaits77ny
11-06-2011, 09:32 PM
I actually bought Megadeth's new. Only $12 at Better Buy, so I said what the hell. The opener, 'Sudden Death' is a really solid song. The intro reminds of me of '80's Megadeth, especially the guitars. 'Never Dead' is probably my favorite tune. Really fast, w/ an awesome rythym. Other than that though, it's nothing special to me. I still haven't listened to tracks 9-> end, so maybe there will be some gems there.

In my opinion, and sounds like they tried to make another 'Countdown'. I wasn't a big fan of CTE, as I really like Megadeth's heavier albums. I at least give them credit in that they didn't simply make another 'Endgame'. EG was a solid album, a good amount heavier than this one. Either way, I still look forward to checking out the last few songs.

Rocco44
11-07-2011, 11:53 AM
My #1 is now Black Cobra - Invernal.

But to be honest, I was high as fuck at the time...

It's really good, but not that good. It could crack my top ten.

I was expecting Falloch to disappoint but it's actually living up to the hype. Could crack my top ten as well.

MPF
11-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Just curious, besides here, where is Falloch getting hype? I don't see anyone outside of here talking about it.

larvtard
11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
It's really good, but not that good. It could crack my top ten.

I was expecting Falloch to disappoint but it's actually living up to the hype. Could crack my top ten as well.

Like I said, I was really high :lol: It's still good as fuck, though. But not my #1.

GarageMetal468
11-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah, the new Krisiun is awesome, as expected. Not as fast as I was hoping it to be but they can actually take 5+ minute songs and make them awesome. Some of the riffs on there are just :shred: :rocker:

hellawaits77ny
11-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Yeah, the new Krisiun is awesome, as expected. Not as fast as I was hoping it to be but they can actually take 5+ minute songs and make them awesome. Some of the riffs on there are just :shred: :rocker:

I keep forgetting to check that out. I hope they tour NA soon. They are touring Europe w/ Malevolent Creation in early '12 :rocker: They're lucky over there.

Rocco44
11-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Just curious, besides here, where is Falloch getting hype? I don't see anyone outside of here talking about it.

Maybe hype is the wrong word, but I saw a few things on Blabbermouth and ads for it on a number of sites.

MPF
11-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Maybe hype is the wrong word, but I saw a few things on Blabbermouth and adds for it on a number of sites.

WEll I am glad tosee it is getting at least promoted. it is an album that deserves to be heard.

In non-related news. The New Leviathan is out.

christopher
11-07-2011, 11:50 PM
WEll I am glad tosee it is getting at least promoted. it is an album that deserves to be heard.

In non-related news. The New Leviathan is out.

I'm still loving the shit out of the Falloch. What other bands besides Junius have that sound?

Rocco44
11-08-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm still loving the shit out of the Falloch. What other bands besides Junius have that sound?

Hmm not too familiar with Junius but I think the obvious influences are Alcest, Agalloch, and Primordial.

I would definitely recommend Gallowbraid for anyone that likes Falloch or Agalloch. Their ep is so fucking good.

christopher
11-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Hmm not too familiar with Junius but I think the obvious influences are Alcest, Agalloch, and Primordial.

I listen to Alcest and Agolloch, I'll check out Primordial soon. Thanks

Rocco44
11-08-2011, 01:02 AM
I listen to Alcest and Agolloch, I'll check out Primordial soon. Thanks

Yeah, I figured you probably knew a couple of those. I would start with To The Nameless Dead although they have a lot of good albums.

And also check out Gallowbraid and their debut ep. If you dig Agalloch and folk leaning blackish stuff, I promise you will not be disappointed.

christopher
11-08-2011, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I figured you probably knew a couple of those. I would start with To The Nameless Dead although they have a lot of good albums.

And also check out Gallowbraid and their debut ep. If you dig Agalloch and folk leaning blackish stuff, I promise you will not be disappointed.

Thanks...I'll check it out

GarageMetal468
11-08-2011, 05:02 AM
I keep forgetting to check that out. I hope they tour NA soon. They are touring Europe w/ Malevolent Creation in early '12 :rocker: They're lucky over there.

Yeah I hope they do too. Last time they were here was with Nile and Immolation and I had to miss that tour.

MPF
11-08-2011, 11:39 AM
YEah Rocco beat me to it since I went to bed early last night, Agalloch, Alcest, and Primordial are the bands to look up for that Falloch sound.

BUt once you get past that go Agalloch has the Blackened Post Folk Metal sound.

Alcest is genre Blackgaze, which is fucking awesome right now, but will soon be saturated beyond all hell.

Primordial is A mixture of Black Metal and Folk Metal, they way I look at it is if Blind Guardian played Black Metal and did about 80-90% clean vocals (The newer albums anyways).

GarageMetal468
11-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Blackened Post Folk Metal

:confused:

Rocco44
11-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Holy shit! 2 new Cloudkicker albums out on the 22nd

MPF
11-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Well think about it.

There's mixtures of Black Metal and Folk metal all thought out Agalloch's Music, and of course there is folk music attached as well. SO why not make an overlly long genre name for it? :D

I think I just filled the cup.

jhdeity
11-09-2011, 04:45 AM

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up!

Natrlhi
11-09-2011, 08:41 AM

I think I just filled the cup.This.

NOVEMBER JUST GOT EVUN MOAR AWESOME

illuminatus917
11-13-2011, 03:59 PM
New Snow Patrol is sub-par.

New Cliff Dweller is interesting but mundane.

New FareWell Poetry is incredibly GY!BE-esque, but not impressively well-written or captivating.

New Midnight needs another listen before judgement...

jhdeity
11-14-2011, 04:17 PM
New Threat Signal jumped into my Top 10 of 2011 with just 1 listen. Might be Top 5 worthy...

Seventhzealot
11-14-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm through 35% of the new SubRosa but dare I say it might be an audaciously cheeky bid for album of the year nominee.

MPF
11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
I got my top 20 set in stone unless something pops up in the next couple weeks. Can't release it till my special radio show in December. But I think this year describes me muscially pretty damn well.

slapguitarer
11-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Pretty Boy Millionaires

Album of the year

jd091
11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Big Kiss Goodnight gets better every time I listen to it.

Spiner202
11-16-2011, 06:14 PM
I haven't gotten a copy yet, but I have a feeling that my top 10 list will include Crimson Shadows' "Glory on the Battlefield". I promote this band as much as I can because they are the only band I've heard that does Power/Death properly. You can hear half of the new album here. (http://crimsonshadows.bandcamp.com/) If you can get past the hilarious artwork, it's pretty enjoyable.

BloodoftheKings
11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Pretty Boy Millionaires

Album of the year

It came out last year.

slapguitarer
11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
It came out last year.

No?

I'm almost positive the new Soulja Boy/Lil' B mixtape, Pretty Boy Millionaires, came out this month. Or at least recently.

BloodoftheKings
11-17-2011, 01:27 PM
No?

I'm almost positive the new Soulja Boy/Lil' B mixtape, Pretty Boy Millionaires, came out this month. Or at least recently.

The upload date on datpiff says July 5th, 2010.

Nater
11-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I haven't gotten a copy yet, but I have a feeling that my top 10 list will include Crimson Shadows' "Glory on the Battlefield". I promote this band as much as I can because they are the only band I've heard that does Power/Death properly. You can hear half of the new album here. (http://crimsonshadows.bandcamp.com/) If you can get past the hilarious artwork, it's pretty enjoyable.

Someone on my facebook just posted about this band. I listened to the free song they were giving out and it was awesome! I was shocked at how well they do the power/Death mixture because I am always let down when bands try it.:rocker:

BloodoftheKings
11-19-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm currently drafting my top 10 for this year. I have a top 5 that will definitely be on my list and 15 albums I plan to listen to again over the course of the next month to see where they fit. The only album left to be released this year that I plan to listen to is the new Vektor and after I form my opinion on that i'm gonna start finalizing my top 10.

larvtard
11-20-2011, 09:07 PM
NEW VEKTOR STREAMING (http://www.heavyartillery.us/HA55026/) :eek::eek::eek:

it's solid so far, obviously will have to give it some more listens though.

Natrlhi
11-21-2011, 08:36 AM
NEW VEKTOR STREAMING (http://www.heavyartillery.us/HA55026/) :eek::eek::eek:

it's solid so far, obviously will have to give it some more listens though.Thanks for posting. I'm checking it out now.

EDIT: Holy fuckballs, do they have the volume turned up enough?!? Cheezus fuck...

w00tasaurus
11-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Outer Isolation might be a sidegrade to Black Future, or it might be better but I'll have to listen to it more. Definitely top 5 or maybe 1st place :-X But that was expected.

edit: Nevermind it's definitely better. omgyffkguyfyf[o7gu

powerslave_85
11-22-2011, 06:27 PM
I think I have a list. Should have a writeup/thread by sometime this weekend, maybe sooner.

street_burial
11-23-2011, 04:04 AM
1. Iced Earth- Dystopia
2. Scar Symmetry- The Unseen Empire
3. All Shall Perish- This Is Where It Ends
4. Darkest Hour- The Human Romance
5. Machine Head- Unto The Locust
6. Red- Until We Have Faces
7. Skeletonwitch- Forever Abomination
8. Anthrax- Worship Music
9. The Bunny The Bear- If You Don't Have Anything Nice To Say
10. Oh, Sleeper- Children Of Fire
11. Megadeth- TH1RT3EN
12. Belphegor- Blood Magick Necromance

still waiting for Vektor and Cormorant which will both more than likely be up there. Top 6 aren't going anywhere though

Epidemic Reign
11-23-2011, 04:27 AM

Nice ;)

dcmetal108
11-23-2011, 11:22 AM
1. Iced Earth- Dystopia
3. All Shall Perish- This Is Where It Ends
4. Darkest Hour- The Human Romance
5. Machine Head- Unto The Locust
6. Red- Until We Have Faces
7. Skeletonwitch- Forever Abomination
9. The Bunny The Bear- If You Don't Have Anything Nice To Say
10. Oh, Sleeper- Children Of Fire
11. Megadeth- TH1RT3EN
12. Belphegor- Blood Magick Necromance

still waiting for Vektor and Cormorant which will both more than likely be up there. Top 6 aren't going anywhere though

:eek::eyes:

street_burial
11-23-2011, 11:46 AM
:eek::eyes:

i like the vocals a lot. which is why it is where it is

mankvill
11-23-2011, 12:59 PM
I am refraining from posting even an incomplete top 10 this year until I make my thread!

xStructualDefect
11-23-2011, 01:08 PM

I forgot this band even existed. I'd have to check this out. I like some of their older material.

mastodon421
11-23-2011, 02:09 PM
My top 10 is just about locked in, the only album I still need to listen to that could possibly crack it is the new Landmine Marathon. This year has been way too good, I wish could put 30 albums in my year-end Top 10.

Epidemic Reign
11-23-2011, 02:35 PM
I forgot this band even existed. I'd have to check this out. I like some of their older material.

Honestly, the new album took quite a few listens to grow on me. My first impression was that it was their most melodic, least heavy record to date. Which may still be true, but regardless I fell in love with it and it will definitely make my top 10.

slapguitarer
11-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Dwellings is amazing. At this point the only albums that can compete with it are Outer Isolation and Lapsus.

illuminatus917
11-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Dwellings is amazing. At this point the only albums that can compete with it are Outer Isolation and Lapsus.

My list is pretty much awaiting the placement of that album, so until I can listen to it in full (I didn't order the disc), my EOY list cannot be finalized.

hb420
11-23-2011, 05:43 PM
The new Heiden is absolutely fantastic. It's as if Enslaved and Agalloch combined. :drool::drool::drool:

MPF
11-23-2011, 05:48 PM
The new Heiden is absolutely fantastic. It's as if Enslaved and Agalloch combined. :drool::drool::drool:

....I'll be back in a few minutes....

idrinkwine732
11-23-2011, 05:55 PM

:zzz:

jhdeity
11-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Honestly, the new album took quite a few listens to grow on me. My first impression was that it was their most melodic, least heavy record to date. Which may still be true, but regardless I fell in love with it and it will definitely make my top 10.

If you guys like Scar Symmetry I'm thinking you would really be into Threat Signal also. They guy who turned me onto SS absolutely worships TS now..

and for good reason.

slapguitarer
11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Outer Isolation was also amazing.

Crionics
11-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Outer Isolation was also amazing.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but Outer Isolation completely blew me away.

larvtard
11-24-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm still kinda iffy on Outer Isolation, to be honest. I've listened to the whole thing at least five times through now. I'm getting sort of used to it but it'll probably take me longer. At the same time, though, I don't want to try to hard to get into it or I'll get sick of it.

So far, though, the first half of the album is fantastic. "Cosmic Cortex" is amazing. "Tetrastructural Minds" has this one riff which is probably my favorite riff from this year. "Echoless Chambers" and "Venus Project" are pretty cool. "Dying World" is a fun song, but I've gotten sorta sick of it. "Dark Creations, Dark Creators" is solid. Can't really get into "fast Paced Society" and "Outer Isolation" just yet, though.

xStructualDefect
11-24-2011, 08:43 AM
If you guys like Scar Symmetry I'm thinking you would really be into Threat Signal also. They guy who turned me onto SS absolutely worships TS now..

and for good reason.

I used to listen to Threat Signal's first album a lot like 4 years ago. I liked it but it's been awhile since I've listened to it. Looking forward to seeing them with Bodom though.

ravenheart
11-24-2011, 08:43 AM
1. Iced Earth- Dystopia

Pretty certain to be somewhere on my list too.

Dextrimental
11-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Cloudkicker's 'Let Yourself Be Huge' will most likely make my list. Black Dahlia Murder's 'Ritual' and Times of Grace 'Hymn of a Broken Man' will be on there too, after that, not entirely too certain. Worship Music has a chance, But not so much Dystopia.

Crionics
11-26-2011, 08:42 AM
I noticed not much talk of the new Warbringer; for those who heard it, what did you think? I thought it was decent, not as good as Waking Into Nightmares IMO.

GarageMetal468
11-26-2011, 08:44 AM
I noticed not much talk of the new Warbringer; for those who heard it, what did you think? I thought it was decent, not as good as Waking Into Nightmares IMO.

I didn't really like it. Almost all of it is mid paced and repetitive. Also what's up with the 2 acoustic/clean intros on the album? When I hear the name "Warbringer" I think blistering fast thrash just like the first 2 albums (especially Waking Into Nightmares), not mid paced and acoustic. :hmm:

ravenheart
11-26-2011, 09:05 AM
I didn't really like it. Almost all of it is mid paced and repetitive. Also what's up with the 2 acoustic/clean intros on the album? When I hear the name "Warbringer" I think blistering fast thrash just like the first 2 albums (especially Waking Into Nightmares), not mid paced and acoustic. :hmm:

Warbringer repetitive? Surely not!

Nater
11-26-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure this is how my top 10 list is gonna look for this year

1. Revocation - Chaos in Forms
2. Devildriver - Beast
3. Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
4. Times of Grace - Hymn of a Broken Man
5. Wednesday 13 - Calling all Corpses
6. Troglodyte - Welcome to Boggy Creek
7. Anthrax - Worship Music
8. Sebastian Bach - Kicking and Screaming
9. Motorhead - The World is Yours
10. Mastodon - The Hunter

I'm putting Motorhead in because it came out in America in January.

mastodon421
11-26-2011, 10:23 AM

I thought it was great. I found to be a more refined and focused take on their previous work. I would definitely say it's my favorite record of theirs.

ravenheart
11-26-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm putting Motorhead in because it came out in America in January.

You won't be able to do that in the end of year voting thread, when it happens.

ravenheart
11-26-2011, 10:33 AM
I thought it was great. I found to be a more refined and focused take on their previous work. I would definitely say it's my favorite record of theirs.

From what people have said, I might actually listen to it now. Warbringer bore me to tears normally, but if they've grown up a bit, the new one might be worth a try.

GarageMetal468
11-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Warbringer repetitive? Surely not!

.... can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not....

If not then I mean that Warbringer is repetitive on the new album. Just the same mid paced songs over and over again. Pretty disappointing to me.

ravenheart
11-26-2011, 10:36 AM
.... can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not....

Of course I am, that just makes you American. Be proud ;)

Warbringer have been repetitive since day one. They've never been anything else. Only difference this time seems to be they're repetitive and mid-paced, instead of repetitive and fast.

Nater
11-26-2011, 11:00 AM
You won't be able to do that in the end of year voting thread, when it happens.

That's fine. I'm not gonna get butthurt over it.

Spiner202
11-26-2011, 11:25 AM

I loved it, but it's nowhere close to Waking Into Nightmares. It's still in my top 5, but it was a bit disappointing because of how strong WiN was.

GarageMetal468
11-26-2011, 11:45 AM
I loved it, but it's nowhere close to Waking Into Nightmares. It's still in my top 5, but it was a bit disappointing because of how strong WiN was.

Yeah that's also another reason why I didn't like the new album. Waking Into Nightmares was great, it's hard to top it.

Crionics
11-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Of course I am, that just makes you American. Be proud ;)

Warbringer have been repetitive since day one. They've never been anything else. Only difference this time seems to be they're repetitive and mid-paced, instead of repetitive and fast.

Hey, when I was younger, there used to be a time when I was always sarcastic ;)

If you found Warbringer dull earlier I can't really see you liking them now though. Like you said "Only difference this time seems to be they're repetitive and mid-paced, instead of repetitive and fast."

I actually kinda like their whole mid-paced experimentation if you can call it that. Sure I think it's weaker than WIN, but it is a little more mature and different; makes for an interesting listening experience. Maybe I'm contradicting myself here :confused:

I just got a bunch of 2011 releases..Where have I been guys? I just listened to the Falloch debut today and absolutely loved it, finally got around to Passion yesterday and I enjoyed it quite a bit. About to listen to the new Wolves in the Throne Room in a second. Others I picked up include: Iced Earth, Dream Theater, Revocation, Evile, White Wizzard, Cannabis Corpse, and Autopsy.

So far my top 10 is looking like:

1. Vektor- Outer Isolation
2. Falloch- Where We Believe
3. Skeletonwitch- Forever Abomination
4. Mastodon- The Hunter
5. Anaal Nathrakh- Passion
6. Anthrax- Worship Music
7. Burzum- Fallen
8. Machine Head- Unto the Locust
9. Wormrot- Dirge
10. Amon Amarth- Surtur Rising

Will probably change quite a bit within the next week :lol:.

brutal_descent
11-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Uh... still need to check out that new Skeletonwitch, Dream Theater, Anthrax, Cormorant, and Vektor. :hecho:

Crionics
11-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Uh... still need to check out that new Skeletonwitch, Dream Theater, Anthrax, Cormorant, and Vektor. :hecho:

I think it is just me but the new Vektor is out of this world, I don't see anything knocking it off its throne this year.

I'm kinda a Witch fanboy so check that out now please :bliss:

slapguitarer
11-26-2011, 01:59 PM
I think it is just me but the new Vektor is out of this world, I don't see anything knocking it off its throne this year.

I'm kinda a Witch fanboy so check that out now please :bliss:

Believe me, a lot of people love the new Vektor

brutal_descent
11-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Listening to the new Skeletonwitch... not my thing. :tp: Heard another one of their songs on YouTube (with an accompanying video about them killing stuffed animals) which kicked ass, so maybe it's just this album that I'm not feeling.

Seventhzealot
11-26-2011, 03:02 PM
I quite liked Tyr's 'The lay of Thrym'. Probably more than 'Elysium' and (arguably) 'Iconoclast'.

w00tasaurus
11-27-2011, 06:04 AM
is cormorant available anywhere for obtaining? :o

Crionics
11-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Listening to the new Skeletonwitch... not my thing. :tp: Heard another one of their songs on YouTube (with an accompanying video about them killing stuffed animals) which kicked ass, so maybe it's just this album that I'm not feeling.

Maybe, have you ever listened to Beyond the Permafrost? I would suggest that before anything else; actually it's one of my favorite albums ever.

larvtard
11-27-2011, 08:45 AM
The Warbringer album is fucking amazing. Maybe I haven't been listening closely enough, but it sounds pretty damn fast to me?

Didn't really like the new Skeletonwitch album, but not a huge fan of them anyway.

@Crionics: Wormrot's NOISE EP (also released this year) is 10x better than Dirge.

Natrlhi
11-27-2011, 02:40 PM
is cormorant available anywhere for obtaining? :oI pre-ordered it several weeks ago, and it finally arrived over the weekend while I was out of town. About ready to throw it on in a bit and be amazed.

SomewhereInTime72
11-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Finally got around to listening to the new Pain of Salvation this week. I really reaaaaaaaaaally like it (but I loved RS1). It has a very autumn feel to me, when RS1 was very wintery. I don't know why I think this but that's how it sounds to me.

xStructualDefect
11-27-2011, 10:39 PM

Yeah I've tried getting into Skeletonwitch but something about them doesn't them didn't really catch my attention. It sounds like a band I should like but I didn't find much replay value in them. However a few songs I heard off the new album I dug a lot more than the other stuff I've heard. Which reminds me I need to listen to the rest of their new album.

That being said although I'm not a fan, they kick ass live. I had a lot of fun last time I saw them and I'm really stoked to see them again next month.

brutal_descent
11-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah I've tried getting into Skeletonwitch but something about them doesn't them didn't really catch my attention. It sounds like a band I should like but I didn't find much replay value in them. However a few songs I heard off the new album I dug a lot more than the other stuff I've heard. Which reminds me I need to listen to the rest of their new album.

That being said although I'm not a fan, they kick ass live. I had a lot of fun last time I saw them and I'm really stoked to see them again next month.

About a third of Beyond The Permafrost was great, but the rest didn't click with me.

moobys37
11-27-2011, 11:09 PM
is cormorant available anywhere for obtaining? :o

Streaming on NPR and for purchase from them off their website.

SubRosa actually has some competition now.

MPF
11-28-2011, 01:09 AM
I just recorded my Top 20 of 2011 show, for my radio show. That Drummer Guy's Rock Block.

2 hours, 29 minutes, and 53 seconds long. This is going to be a hell of a show when it airs.

*Although it might get split into two shows.*

brutal_descent
11-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Got around to Empros. Two-thirds through it (on "Atackla" at the moment) but have a feeling this is going to rank pretty high; almost as good as Station, actually.

ravenheart
11-28-2011, 04:42 AM
Finally got around to listening to the new Pain of Salvation this week. I really reaaaaaaaaaally like it (but I loved RS1). It has a very autumn feel to me, when RS1 was very wintery. I don't know why I think this but that's how it sounds to me.

I got RS2 a couple of weeks ago, just before I saw them live.

I think I slightly prefer RS1... although 'She Softly Cries' is incredible. And even better live.

RS2 is likely to place in my year end list somewhere.

SomewhereInTime72
11-28-2011, 09:35 AM
It's only been like a week, and it's already climbed to around #4 for me. This is really my kind of thing lol.

I love how the melodies are really not familiar sounding generally speaking (except one part of "To The Shoreline" really reminds me of Pocahontas somehow :lol: ), yet completely natural feeling. And I really feel like there isn't a weak spot. I did like RS1 more though, so far.

street_burial
11-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I've decided to give "The Hunter" another chance

w00tasaurus
11-29-2011, 05:59 AM
Listening to Dwellings now, then I should be able to put together my best of the year list and start my own thread for the first time, since I'm pretty new here :x

So far Dwellings sounds great, but it'll have to step up a little to be on par with Metazoa.

ravenheart
11-29-2011, 07:20 AM
It's only been like a week, and it's already climbed to around #4 for me. This is really my kind of thing lol.

I love how the melodies are really not familiar sounding generally speaking (except one part of "To The Shoreline" really reminds me of Pocahontas somehow :lol: ), yet completely natural feeling. And I really feel like there isn't a weak spot. I did like RS1 more though, so far.

There are a few too many moments where they're trying too hard to be Muse, but get those in the live set and that feeling disappears.

They're looking for a new guitarist now. The only other important guy in the band besides Daniel, Johan Hallgren, is leaving, and they've got tours booked for February and March already.

I saw one of his last shows.

larvtard
11-29-2011, 02:19 PM
I've decided to give "The Hunter" another chance

Do it. I re-listened to it today and it finally clicks with me. So does the new Vektor :party:

Also, Tombs is kinda grating on me now :hecho:

Crionics
11-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Do it. I re-listened to it today and it finally clicks with me. So does the new Vektor :party:

Also, Tombs is kinda grating on me now :hecho:

He used my trick ;)

larvtard
11-29-2011, 03:24 PM
He used my trick ;)

No, I used earphones :lol:

illuminatus917
11-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Outer Isolation is better than Black Future.

larvtard
11-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Outer Isolation is better than Black Future.

no

why does everyone think that :confused:

slapguitarer
11-29-2011, 04:52 PM
no

I don't, but it's damn good.

illuminatus917
11-29-2011, 04:53 PM

Song variation.

mankvill
11-29-2011, 04:57 PM
I really like the 10+ minute songs on Black Future, but I agree that this one is pretty varied as well. I love em both though :D

larvtard
11-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Song variation.

what...are you saying...

:mad:

illuminatus917
11-29-2011, 05:09 PM
what...are you saying...

:mad:

I'm saying I think it's better because the songs are more varied.

larvtard
11-29-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm saying I think it's better because the songs are more varied.

Oh, okay. I got it now.

...I didn't mean that literally, fucktard :tp: I know what you're saying, I JUST DISAGREE WITH IT.

illuminatus917
11-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Oh, okay. I got it now.

Good. ;)

I JUST DISAGREE WITH IT.

You don't think the songs are more varied? ;)

treghet
11-29-2011, 07:21 PM
...I didn't mean that literally, fucktard :tp:

Take a deep breath... now exhale slowly.

Indestructible
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
For my 2011 list should I count the new Nightwish as a 2011 release, it will be released in finland and europe tomorrow but the U.S and everywhere else doesn't get it unti 2012. Ill put it in both this years and next years list.

SomewhereInTime72
11-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Put it in neither list.

ravenheart
11-30-2011, 01:53 AM
For my 2011 list should I count the new Nightwish as a 2011 release, it will be released in finland and europe tomorrow but the U.S and everywhere else doesn't get it unti 2012. Ill put it in both this years and next years list.

2011, obviously.

Epidemic Reign
11-30-2011, 02:14 AM
2011, obviously.

^^^ What he said.

jd091
12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Woah, what's with everyone making their own top list threads? :lol:

I'll wait until the official thread goes up to compile mine, but I have a clear and definite #1, even though I didn't listen to it a ton.

Natrlhi
12-02-2011, 01:12 PM
...I have a clear and definite #1, even though I didn't listen to it a ton.:lol: This is the exact opposite of how I've selected my #1 in recent years. I picked a relatively "mainstream" album last year as my #1 simply because I just couldn't stop listening to it over and over and over again. I simply felt that giving the #1 slot to anything but an album which had that kind of a psychological grip on me would be hypocritical (at least, for me). In fact, my primary criteria for year-end list-making is "how much time did this album spend in my listening queue (or would it have spent if it had come out earlier, in the case of late releases)?".

EDIT: So I guess what I'm saying is that my lists are a "Nat's Favorites" type of list, rather than being a list of "Top Albums Deserving of Universal Praise". After all, I'm not quite THAT all-knowing... ;)

illuminatus917
12-02-2011, 01:17 PM
No way I've listened to any album more this year than my #1.

mastodon421
12-02-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm holding off for a couple weeks to start my countdown. Still need to listen a couple of albums (Gallows by Landmine Marathon mostly), though I don't see my top 10 changing.

Seventhzealot
12-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm not listening to anymore albums now. I think I have the top 25 figured out but I'll do re-listens of some albums in order to rank them appropriately now. This is going to be tough. :snivel:

slapguitarer
12-02-2011, 04:06 PM
One more album to listen to, then I'll get started on my stuff.

MPF
12-02-2011, 04:13 PM
If I make my list will anyone wanna check it out?

I know there is a shitload of threads going on, I only want to make it if it captures anyone interest. Otherwise I'll just make the list and show off it off on my radio show.

mastodon421
12-02-2011, 04:21 PM

I know there is a shitload of threads going on, I only want to make it if it captures anyone interest. Otherwise I'll just make the list and show off it off on my radio show.

I will definitely check it out. You have the most diverse taste out of anyone on here and your write-ups are very insightful and in-depth.

slapguitarer
12-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I check out everybody's list.

MPF
12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Sweet, thanks guys.

I don't think this year I can do every album I've heard in 2011. I have over 20 GB of 2011 music. Plus with doing the radio show it leaves me no time to sit down with every individual album. But I will do write ups on a lot of them and my disappointments of year.

Hell I might even start tonight or tomorrow.

Seventhzealot
12-02-2011, 04:46 PM

I check out everybody's list so I can find bands I haven't listened to yet. Good way to spread the word about new bands too.

Spiner202
12-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Yeah I'd be ok with checking out another list too. The more the better.

I think I'm going to do one giant post around the 31st, mainly because there are still albums I haven't heard that I'm probably getting for Christmas (Invection and Evile are two that come to mind). In fact, I just had a new album make my top 10 today.

xStructualDefect
12-02-2011, 05:13 PM
I honestly don't know how people do their top lists. If I were to arrange a top list the order of it would change constantly. Just depending what I'm in the mood to listen to.

illuminatus917
12-02-2011, 05:20 PM
I honestly don't know how people do their top lists. If I were to arrange a top list the order of it would change constantly. Just depending what I'm in the mood to listen to.

It's impossible unless you self-mandate a cutoff.

MPF
12-02-2011, 05:20 PM

For me, it's not so much the importance of the order, as what albums are included, and what albums I keep going back to and enjoying.

Epidemic Reign
12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm considering just doing my top 25 in alphabetical order, because my favorites also change rapidly and my top 25 includes quite a variety of genres that are hard to compare to one another. Thoughts?

SomewhereInTime72
12-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm pretty set on which albums are in my top 20 now. The order except for my #1 is basically up in the air aside from vague ideas, still working on that. Still pretty far behind, really need one more album that has potential to be top 20 and I think I can finalize this shit, lol.

slapguitarer
12-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Over the next week or so I'm going to re-listen to some albums whose ranking on my list I'm not sure about. I'll probably start my thread by this time next week. Ya'll better read it.

jd091
12-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Question guys: when albums come out in 2011, but consist of mostly songs from an earlier recording, are they eligible for "album that came out in 2011"? Examples: Tesseract's One includes their Concealing Fate EP in its entirety, and Xibalba's Madre Mia contains their self titled in its entirety plus 4 more songs.

Should I be evaluating the albums as a whole, or only the songs that came out in 2011 from the albums?

jhdeity
12-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Just a few 2011 observations:

1) I'm thinking albums that came out early and albums released from the end of November to the end end of the year are going to be underrated. I'm hoping enough people get into Vektor in time so it receives it's proper due.

2) Even though BTBAM - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues is technically an EP it's 30 min like some of the best full length albums and is deserving of making some lists.

3) I must be one of the 10 people on earth who think Threat Signal are incredible musicians who make great music. They will be in my Top 10 and maybe ONLY My Top 10!

slapguitarer
12-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Question guys: when albums come out in 2011, but consist of mostly songs from an earlier recording, are they eligible for "album that came out in 2011"? Examples: Tesseract's One includes their Concealing Fate EP in its entirety, and Xibalba's Madre Mia contains their self titled in its entirety plus 4 more songs.

Should I be evaluating the albums as a whole, or only the songs that came out in 2011 from the albums?

It depends. I never listened to Concealing Fate EP before listening to One, so it was completley new to me, so I'm including it in my list.

Seventhzealot
12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
I think I'll be ready to start putting my list out from tomorrow.. or am I still too new for that :snivel:

Epidemic Reign
12-06-2011, 04:51 AM
I think I'll be ready to start putting my list out from tomorrow.. or am I still too new for that :snivel:

Go for it dude ;) The more people participating, the better.

Seventhzealot
12-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Go for it dude ;) The more people participating, the better.

Thanks man :rocker: Thread coming up this evening with notable EPs and honorable mentions!

mastodon421
12-06-2011, 11:46 AM

The whole thing, they are both full-lengths that were released this year so it counts.

jd091
12-06-2011, 11:49 AM
The whole thing, they are both full-lengths that were released this year so it counts.

Cool.

masterguy49
12-06-2011, 05:06 PM
The new Korn album gives me cancer.

ShatteredFlame
12-06-2011, 06:11 PM
If I made a list it would be neither metal or hipster :eyes:. It seems that I like given bands from completely different music scenes, and I never truly get to know a genre.

Natrlhi
12-06-2011, 06:16 PM
You have the most diverse taste out of anyone on here and your write-ups are very insightful and in-depth.Ahem.

I check out everybody's list.

I check out everybody's list so I can find bands I haven't listened to yet. Good way to spread the word about new bands too.

Go for it dude ;) The more people participating, the better.These.

OraclesofAgony
12-13-2011, 09:07 AM
So here's a rough version of my top albums for 2011, still need to give a few of them some more listens though:

1. Fleshgod Apocalypse – Agony
2. Origin – Entity
3. Hate Eternal – Phoenix Amongst the Ashes
4. Revocation – Chaos of Forms
5. Deicide – To Hell with God
6. Beyond Creation – The Aura
7. Obscura – Omnivium
8. Septic Flesh – The Great Mass
9. Autopsy – Macabre Eternal
10. Immolation – Providence (EP)
11. Belphegor - Blood Magick Necromance
12. Amon Amarth – Surtur Rising
13. Mastodon – The Hunter
14. Vader – Welcome to the Morbid Reich
15. Neuraxis – Asylon
16. Vektor – Outer Isolation
17. Disma – Towards the Megalith
18. The Black Dahlia Murder – Ritual
19. Decapitated – Carnival is Forever
20. Nader Sadek – In the Flesh
21. Exhumed - All Guts, No Glory
22. Warbringer – Worlds Torn Asunder
23. Cynic – Carbon-Based Anatomy (EP)
24. Cannabis Corpse - Beneath Grow Lights Thou Shall Rise
25. Opeth – Heritage

That Top 5 is unfuckwithable for me.

DethMaiden
12-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Do you like death metal?

brutal_descent
12-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Do you like death metal?

;)

OraclesofAgony
12-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Do you like death metal?

It's alright.

masterguy49
12-13-2011, 09:20 AM
It's alright.

:lol:

OraclesofAgony
12-13-2011, 10:09 PM
After re-listening to the new Vader, I'm going to have to move that up quite a few slots. It's a fantastic record.

street_burial
12-14-2011, 04:25 PM
my #1 is now a tie between
Iced Earth- Dystopia
Giant Squid- Cenotes (yes i know it is an EP but dammit it is just too amazing)
and Touchι Amorι- Parting The Sea Between Brightness And Me

jhdeity
12-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Can't get enough of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPyI1cBheX0

One of my favorites of 2011

Dextrimental
12-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Can't get enough of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPyI1cBheX0

One of my favorites of 2011

Agreed, that record ruled!

BloodoftheKings
12-20-2011, 07:29 PM
WHY HAS NO BODY TOLD ME ABOUT THIS??????

http://hangout.altsounds.com/geek/gars/images/1/4/7/2/1/austrian-death-machine.jpg

Seriously, a new ADM EP came out a whole week ago and I don't hear about it at all?

treghet
12-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, I counted a total of 36 end of the year lists so far, unless I missed one.

Natrlhi
12-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Well, I counted a total of 36 end of the year lists so far, unless I missed one.You can go ahead and count the shitfest that'll eventually be my thread if you want. :tongue:

treghet
12-25-2011, 01:12 AM
You can go ahead and count the shitfest that'll eventually be my thread if you want. :tongue:

But that one won't be started until around March, right? ;)

Natrlhi
12-25-2011, 01:14 AM
But that one won't be started until around March, right? ;)I'll start it this year - it just won't be finished until March.

Maybe get your facts straight before you start trying to be all funny and shit next time. :allan: :finger:

treghet
12-25-2011, 01:20 AM
You'd probably be better off waiting a while though, seeing as there are so many lists being posted... half of which are half-assed and distracting from those that are actually worth reading.

jd091
12-25-2011, 04:47 AM
You'd probably be better off waiting a while though, seeing as there are so many lists being posted... half of which are half-assed and distracting from those that are actually worth reading.

...like my awesome hardcore-only list that everybody should check out. Since it's awesome.

Nater
12-25-2011, 05:11 AM
...like my awesome hardcore-only list that everybody should check out. Since it's awesome.

I did go through it and now have a raging hard on for Harms Way. Most worthwhile thing I've gotten out of Hardcore since TUI haha.

GarageMetal468
12-27-2011, 06:18 AM
So I decided to check out the new Exmortus... got 2 songs before I deleted it from my computer. That was awful. Unless your band's name is "Winter", songs that are 5 minutes or less should not feel like they are 15 minutes long.

jd091
12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Hey guys, when's the official 2011 Ranking thread gonna come out? Once 2012 comes around?

BloodoftheKings
12-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Hey guys, when's the official 2011 Ranking thread gonna come out? Once 2012 comes around?

I think that's what we usually do.

larvtard
12-27-2011, 01:48 PM

Was mine worth reading, Sir Treggers? :bowdown:

treghet
12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Was mine worth reading, Sir Treggers? :bowdown:

It was. I was mostly referring to the people who put little effort into their list or don't even bother finishing it.

moobys37
12-27-2011, 04:41 PM
I'll start it this year - it just won't be finished until March.

Maybe get your facts straight before you start trying to be all funny and shit next time. :allan: :finger:

The way my time's getting sucked up booking this fest I think I may be done by April :lol: