PDA

View Full Version : 2011.....

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

mastodon421
03-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Cutting my Scurrilous review to a reasonable length for the paper was the hardest thing I've had to do today. Still 20 words over the cap but fuck it, I'm editing this goddamn paper.

That sucks, as a fellow writer I really don't think I could do that. I've never written for a paper before so i've had the freedom of going on for as long as I want and on some reviews I write tend to be pretty long. I don't know how I could adjust to cutting my reviews down in length.

w00tasaurus
03-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Disappointed in Suidakra's new album Book of Dowth which came out today. Not bad, but I had high hopes as I'm a big fan of their previous few albums and there are 3-4 tracks I won't listen to again because they're just filler for me.

jhdeity
03-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Really digging the new Cavalera Conspiracy. Even the cover of Electric Funeral is a cool take on the song. Wish there were a few more fast songs but better than I expected.

BloodoftheKings
03-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Really digging the new Cavalera Conspiracy. Even the cover of Electric Funeral is a cool take on the song. Wish there were a few more fast songs but better than I expected.

I didn't like it. It seemed very bland to me, maybe i'll give it another listen.

ShatteredFlame
03-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Disappointed in Suidakra's new album Book of Dowth which came out today. Not bad, but I had high hopes as I'm a big fan of their previous few albums and there are 3-4 tracks I won't listen to again because they're just filler for me.

Wow, I wasn't even aware they were releasing something.

hb420
03-25-2011, 03:29 PM
3/25

1. Obscura - Omnivium
2. Deafheaven - Roads to Judah
3. Grayceon - All We Destroy
4. Burzum - Fallen
5. Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
6. Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
7. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
8. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
9. Havok - Time Is Up
10. Crowbar - Sever The Wicked Hand

El Gordo
03-25-2011, 05:07 PM

I just listened to the first three tracks after reading your post. Surprisingly, I'm liking it. I didn't think I'd ever like anything Max did after he left Sepultura.

EDIT: Oh, and I listened to the Sabbath cover... like that too. Holy fuck.

BloodoftheKings
03-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Im listening to Blunt Force Trauma again and im liking a little more then I did the first time.

jhdeity
03-26-2011, 03:00 PM
I just listened to the first three tracks after reading your post. Surprisingly, I'm liking it. I didn't think I'd ever like anything Max did after he left Sepultura.

EDIT: Oh, and I listened to the Sabbath cover... like that too. Holy fuck.

Yeah I love the fast shit like Torture, Thrasher & Blunt Force Trauma. Kinda has a Sepultura feel at times especially the title track. Definitely better than I expected. Would kill to hear this shit live.

slapguitarer
03-26-2011, 10:45 PM
1. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
2. Obscura - Omnivium
3. Scale the Summit - The Collectice
4. Fear the Fiasco - Hatch
5. Grayceon - All We Destroy
6. Mogwai - Harcore Will Never Die, But You Will
8. Thomas Giles - Pulse
9. Tesseract - One
10. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
11. The Human Abstaract - Digital Veil
12 Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
13. Arafel - For Battles Once Fought

As of 3/26

treghet
03-27-2011, 04:02 AM
Born of Osiris - The Discovery: I watched their new music video for "Recreate" on YouTube and thought it sounded decent, so I decided to give the album a listen. Unfortunately, it left me incredibly bored. It turns out "Recreate" is the only song that really holds my interest on the album, along with some other parts here and there. I actually think this is a step down from the band's previous album, A Higher Place. That album had some decent hooks, but they never really led anywhere. The Discovery has only a limited number of memorable hooks, and the rest of the album simply meanders like a river through the vast plains.

Kampfar - Mare: When I read about Kampfar releasing a new album, I was saddened to hear that their main songwriter, Thomas, had left the band. I was still eager to listen to the album, but I felt skeptical about it. I can safely say, it's not a bad album, but it lacks the feel of the previous ones. Mare has a lot of keyboard parts, mainly used to build atmosphere in the background or as intros. The songwriting is a bit different, with less folk-ish riffs, causing the album to sound more like straightforward black metal. However, this is not the raw type of black metal we are used to hearing from Norway. The album was produced and mixed by Peter Tägtgren and is the band's cleanest sounding release to date. As I have stated, this album is not bad at all, it just feels different. I think it will grow on me in the coming months.

jhdeity
03-27-2011, 05:18 AM
Born of Osiris - The Discovery: I watched their new music video for "Recreate" on YouTube and thought it sounded decent, so I decided to give the album a listen. Unfortunately, it left me incredibly bored. It turns out "Recreate" is the only song that really holds my interest on the album, along with some other parts here and there. I actually think this is a step down from the band's previous album, A Higher Place. That album had some decent hooks, but they never really led anywhere. The Discovery has only a limited number of memorable hooks, and the rest of the album simply meanders like a river through the vast plains.

Well said

Spiner202
03-27-2011, 01:33 PM
My current list looks like this:

1. Stratovarius - Elysium
2. Caulrdon - Burning Fortune
3. Deicide - To Hell With God
4. Destruction - Day of Reckoning
5. Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
6. Belphegor - Blood Magick Necromance
7. Neuraxis - Asylon

There are still quite a few albums I'm waiting on, but I'm really anticipating the new HammerFall and Borealis. Anvil and Alice Cooper should release some decent albums too. I'm also considering picking up the new Obscura and Havok albums. I've heard really good things about Havok's newest, although I wasn't a huge fan of their debut. It was decent, but it didn't blow me away.

Akumu
03-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Folk metal fans should definitely check out the new Crimfall album. I don't know when it'll be released in North America, but the full album is up for streaming here: http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/crimfall/the_writ_of_swords/

Also, I'm really pleasantly surprised by the new Within Temptation album. Yes, it's poppy with lots of '80s rock influences, but Sharon sounds great and the songs are catchy as hell. I vastly prefer it to their previous output.

I'm definitely looking forward to the new Borealis album as well.

daimonos
03-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Blood Ceremony - Living With the Ancients: Picked this up the other day. Great album. Sounds like a doom metal cross between Sabbath and Jethro Tull, with folk and progressive elements, and female vocals. I feel like alot of people here would like it.

Motograter_Ghost
03-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah I love the fast shit like Torture, Thrasher & Blunt Force Trauma. Kinda has a Sepultura feel at times especially the title track. Definitely better than I expected. Would kill to hear this shit live.

I have to agree and the intro on Torture was AMAZING! Loved the solo as well although it kinda flew by fast and left me wanting more. Would love to see this live!

hb420
03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm really looking forward to the new altar plagues after hearing feather and bone. Also deconstruction and the new fucking morbid angel can't come out soon enough imo. Those will be awesome.

daimonos
03-28-2011, 12:04 PM
. Also deconstruction and the new fucking morbid angel can't come out soon enough imo. Those will be awesome.

June is going to be a very good month.

JuuKun
03-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand at the end of April, and Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy at the end of May. Probably two of my most-anticipated albums in a good while.

Haven't listened to much 2011 stuff yet, to be perfectly honest, and I don't know what's been keeping me. But I liked the new Evergrey and Moonsorrow quite a bit.

Fires Of Sedition
03-28-2011, 02:25 PM

I feel the complete opposite about The Discovery. I think it's much better than both of their other albums. Every song is catchy and memorable to me. I've listened to it pretty much non-stop ever since I got it.

mastodon421
03-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I feel the complete opposite about The Discovery. I think it's much better than both of their other albums. Every song is catchy and memorable to me. I've listened to it pretty much non-stop ever since I got it.

Yep, I completely agree. It's easily their best to work to date and I really can't get enough of it.

MPF
03-28-2011, 05:53 PM
The Discovery is a damn good album. It's hard to beat their first album, but it is so damn easy to be the 2nd.

That said, once they drop the deathcore completely, they will be a kickass band.

pharmD_metalhead
03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
The Discovery is a damn good album. It's hard to beat their first album, but it is so damn easy to be the 2nd.

That said, once they drop the deathcore completely, they will be a kickass band.

agreed. The New Reign is 20 minutes of raw awesomeness. These guys are very talented and have the potential to be a great band.

**Some good albums released in the last week.**

Havok - Time is Up

Obscura - Omnivium

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising

Becoming the Archetype - Celestial Completion :rocker:

hb420
03-29-2011, 03:23 PM
The new Wormrot is fucking great. :rocker::blaze::rocker:

slapguitarer
03-29-2011, 06:42 PM
2. Obscura - Omnivium
8. Thomas Giles - Pulse
9. Tesseract - One
12. Havok - Time Is Up
13. Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
14. Arafel - For Battles Once Fought

3/29

jhdeity
03-29-2011, 09:13 PM
2. Obscura - Omnivium
8. Thomas Giles - Pulse
9. Tesseract - One
12. Havok - Time Is Up13. Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
14. Arafel - For Battles Once Fought

3/29

Jamming Havok right now. If you like that I'm guessing you would like new Onslaught also. I'm thinking both would be in my Top 10 so far

slapguitarer
03-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Jamming Havok right now. If you like that I'm guessing you would like new Onslaught also. I'm thinking both would be in my Top 10 so far

I'll be sure to check it out.

idrinkwine732
03-30-2011, 12:08 AM
I took a long break off of new music for a while, but I've had like 8 #1 changes this year already.

This Will Destroy You's new one is just incredible, it warrants a top 3 placement as of right now.

hb420
03-30-2011, 12:22 AM
3/30

1. Obscura - Omnivium
3. Grayceon - All We Destroy
4. Wormrot - Dirge
6. Amon Amarth - Sutur Rising
7. Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
8. Mogawi - Hardcore Will Never, But You Will
9. Havok - Time Is Up
10. Crowbar - Sever The Wicked Hand
11. Rotten Sound - Cursed
12. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
13. Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
14. Destruction - Day of Reckoning
15. Burzum - Fallen

idrinkwine732
03-30-2011, 08:20 AM
13. Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

Disappointed?

Maiden33
03-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy is probably my new #1 album, following 2 and a half listens. And if anyone is curious: No, it hasn't leaked yet, and I can't give it out, so don't ask.

Natrlhi
03-30-2011, 09:10 AM
This Will Destroy You's new one is just incredible, it warrants a top 3 placement as of right now.I dunno about that. I've really been struggling with their drastic change in style on this new one. They were (well, basically, still are) one of my favorite post-rock bands ever, but this new album just doesn't sound like TWDY to me. That may end up being OK with me in the end, but I'm having a hard time accepting that there may never be another "Young Mountain" or "This Will Destroy You", and that gives me a major sad. :(

hb420
03-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Disappointed?

Yeah. After repeated listens its nothing compared to their other stuff.

March of the Norse just leaked. Checking that out now. :rocker:

Natrlhi
03-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah. After repeated listens its nothing compared to their other stuff.Funny, my thought was exactly the opposite.

I felt that the new one was (almost) exactly like their other stuff - which can be either good or bad, but in this case is basically a good thing. :2cents:

idrinkwine732
03-30-2011, 03:16 PM
I dunno about that. I've really been struggling with their drastic change in style on this new one. They were (well, basically, still are) one of my favorite post-rock bands ever, but this new album just doesn't sound like TWDY to me. That may end up being OK with me in the end, but I'm having a hard time accepting that there may never be another "Young Mountain" or "This Will Destroy You", and that gives me a major sad. :(

I couldn't disagree more. I think this new step puts them into post-rock's upper echelon. They found their balance of Young Mountan-ish instrumentation and ambient sound. I expect sleepmakeswaves to outdo it, but god that was good.

Yeah. After repeated listens its nothing compared to their other stuff.

I think it's probably their worst album but is still excellent. It lacks all of the emotional climaxes of All of a Sudden and Cold Dead Place, but I still really liked it.

DethMaiden
03-30-2011, 03:21 PM
I've really, really gotten out of post-rock since I was obsessed with it circa 2007. I haven't even listened to the new Mogwai or EITS yet, and that shit was my Maiden and Priest for a minute there. :( I think not going to post-rock shows all the time like I used to be able to has been a big part of it, it's a genre that comes off much better live. And yeah, after a while, most of that instrumental slow-building crescendo-laden stuff sounds the same. I really want to like the new EITS because All of a Sudden was a landmark fucking album for me when it dropped, but I'm not sure. :snivel:

hb420
03-30-2011, 03:50 PM
The Demonaz solo record is really good, blew my expectations for it completly away. Which were kind of low, because I thought it would sound like All Shall Fall and I. Its like a mix of bathory style viking metal and classic heavy metal filtered through the Immortal sound. What I think really makes it amazing is the lead playing. It adds dimension of melody that along with the vocals really help make the songs stick. All of the songs are great, but the standouts have to be All Blackend Sky, Over The Mountains, and Legends of Fire and Ice. Its probably going to make my top five come the years end, atleast top ten if not. Highly recconmended if you like Immortal and 80S style heavy metal.

ShatteredFlame
03-30-2011, 03:57 PM
I can't get into EITS :snivel:. I'm seeing them next week though and am expecting a great show but as far as records are concerned, they don't seem that different from many other post-rock groups. I feel like All Is Violent will get better with time, but I think I'm forcing the process. I'm expecting something to jump out at me but it never quite reaches the level I want it to.

I'm seeing Mogwai in a couple of weeks too and am slowly enjoying Young Team more and more on each listen. I still need to check out the rest of their stuff.

daimonos
03-30-2011, 04:22 PM
What I think really makes it amazing is the lead playing. It adds dimension of melody that along with the vocals really help make the songs stick.

Ice Dale!!!

larvtard
03-30-2011, 08:01 PM
new Gridlink album could be better. Granted I've only given it one listen so far but I thought I'd be more impressed. Anyways, if you haven't heard of this band, you need to get their album Amber Grey NAO. It's so good that they were recently voted the best grindcore band on the planet by the blog Grind and Punishment (their readers voted). And that was before Orphan was released, so they won with 12 minutes of material. It doesn't surprise me one bit. They play a really fast, technical style of grindcore, but the vocals are what really set them apart from the pack. Jon Chang's vocal style is sorta like an extremely high-pitched hardcore shout :rocker:

pharmD_metalhead
03-31-2011, 12:02 PM
BTBAM's new EP The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues is streaming in its entirety at:

http://ht.ly/4qxjX

and it's fucking awesome. :drool:

MPF
03-31-2011, 04:24 PM
BTBAM's new EP The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues is streaming in its entirety at:

Damn I just made a thread about this. I guess I should have looked here first.

jhdeity
03-31-2011, 10:20 PM

I was listening to this while doing a fantasy baseball draft. At times I heard Faith No More influence, then Primus influence, then SOAD influence.

How many bands do you listen to that can invoke those 3 "mad genius" bands? Great stuff!

Props to Metalsucks for more extremely cool shit.

idrinkwine732
03-31-2011, 10:26 PM
The new Long Distance Calling is another one of many AOTY contenders.

MPF
03-31-2011, 10:51 PM
The new Long Distance Calling is another one of many AOTY contenders.

Amazing album isn't it?

The more I see people into LDC the better I feel.

Fires Of Sedition
04-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Yep, I completely agree. It's easily their best to work to date and I really can't get enough of it.

This. I want to see the whole album played live.

And this.

jhdeity
04-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Amazing album isn't it?

The more I see people into LDC the better I feel.

With so many hipster people I know getting into post rock I really wanted to hate this cd so I could write post rock off totally and LDC comes along and puts out this masterpiece. Sheer brilliance. If the main riff to Arecibo wasn't a blatant rip-off of some other popular song I'd give this cd a 10 out of 10.

Seriously if I like it this much after 2 listens I can't imagine how high it will be on my list come years end...

idrinkwine732
04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
With so many hipster people I know getting into post rock I really wanted to hate this cd so I could write post rock off totally and LDC comes along and puts out this masterpiece. Sheer brilliance. If the main riff to Arecibo wasn't a blatant rip-off of some other popular song I'd give this cd a 10 out of 10.

Seriously if I like it this much after 2 listens I can't imagine how high it will be on my list come years end...
I recognized it from somewhere else, but couldn't put a finger on it...

jhdeity
04-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I recognized it from somewhere else, but couldn't put a finger on it...

It's Heroes by Shinedown. Took me a while and it just clicked

MPF
04-01-2011, 11:47 AM

If you like the self titled album, you will love 2009's Avoid The Light. It also features Jonas of Katatonia on the song, My Nearing Grave. It's one of my favorite albums of all time. Check it out when you get a chance.

idrinkwine732
04-01-2011, 06:44 PM
It's Heroes by Shinedown. Took me a while and it just clicked

Just listened and that doesn't sound like it to me. I've heard it before though, I'm certain of it.

treghet
04-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Disfiguring the Goddess's new album... Safe to say this is crap. Better than anything they've done before, but still incredibly mediocre and terribly produced.

jhdeity
04-02-2011, 09:08 AM
If you like the self titled album, you will love 2009's Avoid The Light. It also features Jonas of Katatonia on the song, My Nearing Grave. It's one of my favorite albums of all time. Check it out when you get a chance.

Thanks for the heads up. I have that cd and it didn't grab me back then. This time certain songs were great. I definitely prefer teh instrumental songs though. Writing a memorable instrumental piece takes real skill and these guys have it. Great build up and pay off. Checking out their older stuff now. I'm officially a fan.

jhdeity
04-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Just listened and that doesn't sound like it to me. I've heard it before though, I'm certain of it.

Yeah it's pretty generic but it's so similar to Heroes it's crazy. Heroes is actually more intricate with the drumming but it's the same riff for sure.

treghet
04-03-2011, 09:43 AM
I listened to the new Benighted album and was sadly disappointed. The music itself is great, but many of the songs have pig squeals and it annoys me to no end. :(

larvtard
04-03-2011, 11:20 AM
I listened to the new Benighted album and was sadly disappointed. The music itself is great, but many of the songs have pig squeals and it annoys me to no end. :(

Yeah, I was annoyed by that as well. Do their other albums have pig squeals?

treghet
04-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I was annoyed by that as well. Do their other albums have pig squeals?

Icon has one or two parts that are about a second long, so I don't mind it at all. I don't think Identisick has any at all. You should definitely check out those two albums, they're awesome.

BloodoftheKings
04-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Im listening to Obscura's new album right now, it's fucking incredible.:rocker:

Indestructible
04-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Im listening to Obscura's new album right now, it's fucking incredible.:rocker:

Heard some of that, I like it.

BloodoftheKings
04-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Heard some of that, I like it.

I said fucking incredible when I was up to about the 3rd song but though I still like it I think they could have cut it down a bit and made it shorter.

BloodoftheKings
04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Im not sure if anyone was aware of this but Red Fang's new album "Murder The Mountains" is available for streaming in it's entirety.
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/27/134855805/first-listen-red-fang-murder-the-mountains

slapguitarer
04-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Im not sure if anyone was aware of this but Red Fang's new album "Murder The Mountains" is available for streaming in it's entirety.
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/27/134855805/first-listen-red-fang-murder-the-mountains

Lol, right when I was going to post my updated list. I guess that'll have to wait

masterguy49
04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Don't know if there are any Foo Fighter's fans out there, but their new album is fucking awesome! Best album from them in a while. Here it is in all it's glory - http://www.somekindofawesome.com/journal/2011/4/1/listen-foo-fighters-wasting-light-full-album-stream.html
:D

slapguitarer
04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
1. Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
2. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
3. Light Bearer - Lapsus
4. Obscura - Omnivium
5. Scale the Summit - The Collectice
6. Fear the Fiasco - Hatch
7. Grayceon - All We Destroy
8. Mogwai - Harcore Will Never Die, But You Will
9. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
10. Thomas Giles - Pulse
11. Tesseract - One
12. Vreid - V
13. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
14. The Human Abstaract - Digital Veil
15. Crowbar - Sever The Wicked Hand
16. Havok - Time is Up
17. Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
18. Arafel - For Battles Once Fought

As of 4/4

I'll add Red Fang and Foo Fighters tomorrow.

DethMaiden
04-04-2011, 09:26 PM
1. Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
2. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous

:eek:

The BTBAM is juuuuuuuuust cracking my top ten at the moment. Thought it was a pretty big step down from the long pieces on Colors and Misdirect.

EDIT: I'm gonna try to arrange my listening this year into a rough ranking, but more into tiers:

--
2. Altar of Plagues - Mammal
3. Evergrey - Glorious Collision
--
4. Grayceon - All We Destroy
--
6. Anaal Nathrakh - Passion
7. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
8. Lionize - Destruction Manual
--
9. Darkest Hour - The Human Romance
10. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
11. Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
12. Thomas Giles - Pulse
--
13. Subrosa - No Help for the Mighty Ones
14. Heretoir - Heretoir
15. Ravencult - Morbid Blood
16. Falkenbach - Tiurida
--
17. Bright Eyes - The People's Key
18. Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light 1
19. To Cast a Shadow - In Memory Of
20. Deschain - Upon the Oaken Throne
--
(shit I basically didn't like)
21. Northless - Clandestine Abuse
22. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising (has like three good songs, I keep trying to like it, but Jesus you guys, get over it, Amon Amarth finally failed)
23. Moonreich - Loi Martiale
24. Svartsyn - Wrath Upon the Earth
25. Srodek - Forfall
26. Brocken Moon - Hoffnungslos (had some promising Burzum-y moments but the vocals are the worst I've ever heard in BM, seriously)
27. Arafel - For Battles Once Fought (one of the worst records I've heard, period)

Maiden33
04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Best shot at a top 10 as of this point: (out of about 25 albums heard)

01 Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
02 Evergrey - Glorious Collision
03 Stratovarius - Elysium
04 Eden's Curse - Trinity
05 Voodoo Circle - Broken Heart Syndrome
06 Demon's Eye - The Stranger Within
07 Mr. Big - What If?
08 Hibria - Blind Ride
09 Presto Ballet - Invisible Place

I honestly can't pick a #10 I'm confident in. Probably between Jag Panzer and Serenity.

slapguitarer
04-04-2011, 10:32 PM

The BTBAM is juuuuuuuuust cracking my top ten at the moment. Thought it was a pretty big step down from the long pieces on Colors and Misdirect.

It's definitely not as good as the long pieces on Colors and The Great Misdirect, but I really, really like it. At first listen, I was like, "This is good, but not better than Scurrilous", but after the second listen I was like, "FUCK YEAH! This is better than Scurrilous, but just by a nanometer". I guess I just love BTBAM that much. But seriously, Scurrilous is almost better. Almost.

MPF
04-04-2011, 10:35 PM

22. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising (has like three good songs, I keep trying to like it, but Jesus you guys, get over it, Amon Amarth finally failed)

How about you take a seat....right over here....

idrinkwine732
04-04-2011, 10:45 PM
6. Anaal Nathrakh - Passion
11. Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
27. Arafel - For Battles Once Fought (one of the worst records I've heard, period)

First of all, I want to hear Passion so bad it makes anything else seem less entertaining. I've heard some say it's a disappointment, but I don't care. I want to hear it. Really badly.

The Parallax is a 30 min long EP, so in order for it to be better than Scurrilous, which is 15 minutes longer, those have to be some of the best 30 minutes in BTBAM's discography. They aren't.

Surtur Rising is the worst Amon Amarth album so far, and I agree. Maybe two songs I'd like to hear again and one or two I'm indifferent with. Amon Amarth are consistent, but not that consistent. They've never made a top caliber album before.

Arafel sucked, and they got a lot of early year hype as being "good." I get pains in my testicles when I listen to them.

slapguitarer
04-04-2011, 10:45 PM

How about you take a seat....right over here....

Seriously, bro. You crazy

idrinkwine732
04-04-2011, 11:03 PM

:boxer: Got yo back Brad :boxer:

In an attempt to make this post more relavent to 2011 albums, I've also embarked on a challenge. This year I have listened to every album featured on postrockxchange.com in an attempt to listen to more of it, and there have been A LOT of really good releases this year. I plan on listening to every one this year, which will total to way over 100 albums. They include...

We Made God - It's Getting Colder
This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket
Solkyri - No House
The Seven Mile Journey - Notes for the Synthesis
Long Distance Calling - S/T
Industries of the Blind - Chapter 1: Had We Known Better
Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
Álfheimr - What Allows Us To Endure

slapguitarer
04-04-2011, 11:18 PM

In an attempt to make this post more relavent to 2011 albums, I've also embarked on a challenge. This year I have listened to every album featured on postrockxchange.com in an attempt to listen to more of it, and there have been A LOT of really good releases this year. I plan on listening to every one this year, which will total to way over 100 albums. They include...

Solkyri - No House

That's intense, broseidon. You should have two seperate year end lists. One of the the Post-Rock and one for everything else.

idrinkwine732
04-04-2011, 11:23 PM
That's intense, broseidon. You should have two seperate year end lists. One of the the Post-Rock and one for everything else.

Maybe I should, Brozart, but that would be a bit of upkeep. If I do one huge list again, I'd have to make myself a limit at like 100 or something, because it's going to be quite the year.

MPF
04-04-2011, 11:24 PM

Oh come on. Just because they aren't writing the same song over and over again on every album makes then gone downhill. They're not Slayer. I like hearing diversity, it's good to finally hear it in Amon Amarth.

Solkyri - No House

AND YOU....

I like actually like your list a lot. No need to gang up on me. :eyes:

mankvill
04-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Finally listened to enough to semi make a list:

God. Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
1. Noisear - Subvert The Dominant Paradigm
2. Deicide - To Hell With God
3. Impiety - Worshippers Of The Seventh Tyranny
4. Abysmal Dawn - Levelling The Plane Of Existence
5. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
6. Cauldron - Burning Fortune
7. Gravewurm - Blood Of The Pentagram

pharmD_metalhead
04-05-2011, 06:49 AM
4. Abysmal Dawn - Levelling The Plane Of Existence

I just discovered this band. They're fucking brutal. Great album too.

DethMaiden
04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Surtur Rising is the worst Amon Amarth album so far, and I agree. Maybe two songs I'd like to hear again and one or two I'm indifferent with. Amon Amarth are consistent, but not that consistent. They've never made a top caliber album before.

I would only take issue with this point, because With Oden on Our Side is nothing shy of the best melodic death metal album ever not called Heartwork or Slaughter of the Soul.

Natrlhi
04-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Im listening to Obscura's new album right now, it's fucking incredible.:rocker:Correct.

Heard some of that, I like it.What the fuck I don't even...HUH?!? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Stop liking good music. You're confusing us.

I said fucking incredible when I was up to about the 3rd song but though I still like it I think they could have cut it down a bit and made it shorter.No. You were correct before. Why would you want to take something that awesome and cut it down?!? It's not even an hour-long album as it is. For me, it sounds just right. Best tech death album I've heard in quite some time (and that includes Decrepit Birth and Atheist).

Amon Amarth...never made a top caliber album before.THE FUCK YOU SAY.
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d37/4095_amon_amarth_with_oden_on_our_side.jpghttp://pixhost.info/avaxhome/99/52/00095299_medium.jpeg
I'm not the world's biggest Amon Amarth fan, but these two albums were pretty fucking good.

EDIT: ...and I can see that Brad agrees with me - so you are officially wrong. :D

larvtard
04-05-2011, 10:33 AM
3. Impiety - Worshippers Of The Seventh Tyranny

meh, I didn't really like their new one. The 30-min song concept doesn't work to their favor- way too many slow parts. If it was just a regular album they could've gotten away with one or two slow songs, but not for a single song album.

larvtard
04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
I refuse to rank until absolutely necessary, but I'll still put this year's albums I like into three rough categories, the top being the best, the bottom being the least best/worst.

Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
Owen Hart - Earth Control
Mitochondrion - Parasignosis
Deicide - To Hell With God
Crowbar - Sever the Wicked Hand
American Heritage - Sedentary

--------

Torture Division - Through the Eyes of a dead
Rotten Sound - Cursed
KEN mode - Venerable
Iskald - The Sun I Carried Alone
Thomas Giles - Pulse
The Swan King - Eyes like Knives
Crucified Mortals - Crucified Mortals

-----------

Parasytic - Poison Minds
Gridlink - Orphan
VYGR - Hypersleep
Burzum - Fallen
Ghostlimb - Infrastructures
Impiety - Worshipers of the Seventh Tyranny
Primate - Draw Back a Stump
Cut Your Teeth - CYTII
Ending Quest - Vlad Tepes

mankvill
04-05-2011, 01:27 PM
meh, I didn't really like their new one. The 30-min song concept doesn't work to their favor- way too many slow parts. If it was just a regular album they could've gotten away with one or two slow songs, but not for a single song album.

I think it worked out pretty good for them. My philosophy is that songs over 12 - 15 minutes are usually godlike because they have to be if they're that long!

BloodoftheKings
04-05-2011, 01:51 PM
No. You were correct before. Why would you want to take something that awesome and cut it down?!? It's not even an hour-long album as it is. For me, it sounds just right. Best tech death album I've heard in quite some time (and that includes Decrepit Birth and Atheist).

It's damn good but I couldn't help but feel that some of it is a little dragged out.

treghet
04-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Solkyri - No House

I didn't know about this site. Thanks for posting it. I've been looking for more post-rock. :D

idrinkwine732
04-05-2011, 09:33 PM
With Oden on Our Side is nothing shy of the best melodic death metal album ever

I could name a solid 20 or 25 that I would call better than it.

Definitely their best by quite a bit, but I still wouldn't say that they've ever been in the upper echelon of melodic death metal bands. They've always been very consistent and content with making 7/10 albums. For that reason, I couldn't ever be more than a casual fan of their material. I love them live though, absolutely.

I refuse to rank until absolutely necessary, but I'll still put this year's albums I like into three rough categories, the top being the best, the bottom being the least best/worst.

I don't spy Deafheaven's newest on there :nonono:

I didn't know about this site. Thanks for posting it. I've been looking for more post-rock. :D

It's responsible for me finding some excellent music. Some of it is a bit stale, but the majority is quite good.

larvtard
04-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I don't spy Deafheaven's newest on there :nonono:

Forgot about that one. I'd probably put the demo in the bottom category. It also didn't give me incentive to listen to the full-length :eyes:

idrinkwine732
04-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Forgot about that one. I'd probably put the demo in the bottom category. It also didn't give me incentive to listen to the full-length :eyes:

Aw, c'mon, the full length isn't much longer and it's a lot better. I know you might not be the biggest fan of the "oooh we're Alcest now" bands, but you should give it a shot.

If not, you'll like it after you see them live.

DethMaiden
04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I really need to hear the rest of the Deafheaven. It sounded like potential top ten stuff from the one or two songs I heard.

powerslave_85
04-05-2011, 10:36 PM
What I've heard so far this year:

Dropkick Murphys- Going Out In Style
Rise Against- Endgame*
Boris- New Album*
Lemuria- Pebble
Foo Fighters- Wasting Light
Bayside- Killing Time*
Amon Amarth- Surtur Rising
Between the Buried and Me- Parallax: The Hypersleep Dialogues
Childish Gambino- EP*
Darkest Hour- The Human Romance
Steve Martin & The Steep Canyon Rangers- Rare Bird Alert
Thomas Giles- Pulse

*Ones that would make my list as of now

Haven't really heard Amon Amarth or BTBAM enough to form a solid opinion.

Stuff that's out that I need to hear: Pains of Being Pure At Heart, The Strokes, Thursday

masterguy49
04-06-2011, 04:54 AM
What I've heard so far this year:

Dropkick Murphys- Going Out In Style
Rise Against- Endgame*
Boris- New Album*
Lemuria- Pebble
Foo Fighters- Wasting Light
Bayside- Killing Time*
Amon Amarth- Surtur Rising
Between the Buried and Me- Parallax: The Hypersleep Dialogues
Childish Gambino- EP*
Darkest Hour- The Human Romance
Steve Martin & The Steep Canyon Rangers- Rare Bird Alert
Thomas Giles- Pulse

*Ones that would make my list as of now

Haven't really heard Amon Amarth or BTBAM enough to form a solid opinion.

Stuff that's out that I need to hear: Pains of Being Pure At Heart, The Strokes, Thursday
Rise Against, but not Foo Fighters? :hmm:

Also the new Red Fang...... just..... :drool:

larvtard
04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Aw, c'mon, the full length isn't much longer and it's a lot better. I know you might not be the biggest fan of the "oooh we're Alcest now" bands, but you should give it a shot.

If not, you'll like it after you see them live.

They always struck me as woe, krallice-style hipster black metal. But all right, I suppose I'll give it a shot

treghet
04-06-2011, 03:21 PM
New Shining (Sweden) song:

http://soundcloud.com/patriciathomas/shining-f-rtvivlan-min-arvedel

I'm loving it. :rocker: Album out May 25th.

daimonos
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
New Shining (Sweden) song:

http://soundcloud.com/patriciathomas/shining-f-rtvivlan-min-arvedel

I'm loving it. :rocker: Album out May 25th.

Great song. I'm glad to see they finally set a release date for this.

MPF
04-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I still prefer Shining (Norway), but this is damn good too.

BloodoftheKings
04-06-2011, 08:05 PM
I listened to the first couple songs from the new Red Fang today and I like what I hear. I will probably buy it next week.

jhdeity
04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I still prefer Shining (Norway), but this is damn good too.

This

hb420
04-06-2011, 10:51 PM
The new releases by Indian and Liturgy are great. :drool:

maidenpriest
04-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Best shot at a top 10 as of this point: (out of about 25 albums heard)

01 Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy

O.o How did you hear this already?

NecroRob
04-07-2011, 12:19 AM
These are the albums I've listened to so far that I really like quite a bit. They're in rough order...

Deafheaven - Roads to Judah
Benighted - Asylum Cave
CunninLynquists - Oneirology
Scale the Summit - The Collective
Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
Obscura - Omnivium

My list has no order at all after this point as of yet, but I still really like all of these efforts :eyes:

Wormrot - Dirge
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Owen Hart - Earth Control
Rotten Sound - Cursed
Neuraxis - Asylon
Boris - New Album

hb420
04-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Deafheaven - Roads to Judah

:party:
great cd

jhdeity
04-07-2011, 09:10 AM
This is how my list is shaping up:

1) Onslaught - Sounds of Violence
2) Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues
3) Havok - Time Is Up
4) Becoming the Archetype - Celestial Completion
5) Cavalera Conspiracy - Blunt Force Trauma
6) Long Distance Calling - s/t
7) Crowbar - Sever the Wicked Hand
8) Destruction - Day of Reckoning
9) Protest The Hero - Scurrilous
10 Scale The Summit - The Collective
11) Times of Grace - The Hymn of a Broken Man
12) Obscura - Omnivium
13) Devildriver - Beast
14) Dropkick Murphys - Going Out in Style
15) Tesseract - One
16) Glassjaw - A Shitton of Tracks
17) Red Fang - Murder The Mountains
18) Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
19) The Human Abstract - Digital Veil
20) Grayceon - All We Destroy
21) KEN mode - Venerable
22) Primate - Draw Back a Stump
23) Evergrey - Glorious Collision
24) Darkest Hour - The Human Romance
25) Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

A couple of other observations:

- Showroom of Compassion > The King of Limbs
- Post Rock is still more Hipster than Djent
- I'm digging the new Beastie Boys track - insert Hipster comment <here>
- Had I heard Within the Ruins in 2010 they would have been Top 15
- Some bands I never liked like actually put out decent cd's in 2011
- The world needs more bands like Primate
- Props to PharmD dude for the heads up on Becoming the Archetype
- Video of the year? http://youtu.be/rgDoFKaqnY0
- If Burzum had even halfway decent production I'd probably love it
- Some commercial bands are putting out solid cd's while solid heavy bands are putting out commercial shit cd's.

Really looking forward to:

Meshuggah, Primus, Morbid Angel, Vektor, Tool, Unearth, Polkadot Cadaver & Gojira among others

DethMaiden
04-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Fuuuuck, Darkest Hour second-worst? I barely listen to anything like that, but I really loved it. :(

And I'm still baffled by all the lists with BTBAM ahead of PTH. It's good, it's probably grown on me enough to break my current top 10, but Jesus, Scurrilous feels like an album they'll talk about in 20 years to me.

jhdeity
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Fuuuuck, Darkest Hour second-worst? I barely listen to anything like that, but I really loved it. :(

And I'm still baffled by all the lists with BTBAM ahead of PTH. It's good, it's probably grown on me enough to break my current top 10, but Jesus, Scurrilous feels like an album they'll talk about in 20 years to me.

Actually I just heard Darkest Hour yesterday and expect it to go higher. I've heard over 70 cd's in 2011 so these are the Top of the Top.

PTH's vocals still get to me. I'm sure I'll get over it at some point but at times they really bother me. I still listen to the instrumental cd of theirs more than that actual cd with vocals from a few years ago.

EDIT: Also have you ever read the lyrics to Hair-Trigger? Musically I love that song, vocally I couldn't possibly hate it more. The lyrics are total Twilight Glee bullshit. PTH are thiiiis close to being an incredible band but personally can't see it ever happening with that dude singing and writing those cheese ball lyrics.

DethMaiden
04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Actually I just heard Darkest Hour yesterday and expect it to go higher. I've heard over 70 cd's in 2011 so these are the Top of the Top.

PTH's vocals still get to me. I'm sure I'll get over it at some point but at times they really bother me. I still listen to the instrumental cd of theirs more than that actual cd with vocals from a few years ago.

EDIT: Also have you ever read the lyrics to Hair-Trigger? Musically I love that song, vocally I couldn't possibly hate it more. The lyrics are total Twilight Glee bullshit. PTH are thiiiis close to being an incredible band but personally can't see it ever happening with that dude singing and writing those cheese ball lyrics.

I FUCKING LOVE RODY WALKER AS A LYRICIST. Have you read the lyrics to Tandem? Probably my favorite lyrics in a decade. So agree to disagree there. :lol:

And 70 albums?! Fuck, dude. I'm at 28 so far. :lol: You're kicking my ass...and probably everyone on here's asses too.

mastodon421
04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Rody Walker is a hell of a lyricist. The lyrics to Tandem,Tapestry and Termites are especially fantastic. Scurrilous is still my favorite record of the year(I love BTBAM's new one just as much, I just don't tend to count EP's towards my overall rankings.)

Jhdeity 70 albums holy shit. I can't even believe you've heard that much. I'm only up to 18 albums on the year so far, there is still quite a bit I need to listen to and an insane amount of albums I am excited for on the rest of the year.

jhdeity
04-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Rody Walker is a hell of a lyricist. The lyrics to Tandem,Tapestry and Termites are especially fantastic. Scurrilous is still my favorite record of the year(I love BTBAM's new one just as much, I just don't tend to count EP's towards my overall rankings.)

Jhdeity 70 albums holy shit. I can't even believe you've heard that much. I'm only up to 18 albums on the year so far, there is still quite a bit I need to listen to and an insane amount of albums I am excited for on the rest of the year.

Yeah I have a bunch of friends in radio, internet mags and bands. Plus I try to check out as much stuff on here that people recommend. My main friend who hooks me up with promo copies recently gave me Pagan's Mind and Saliva and asked me to help write a review for Saliva for him. While I'm no hater and like some of Saliva's older stuff, they've gone way too girlie for me. I haven't listened to either yet but will have to delve into Saliva just to help a Bro out. Much more interested in pagan's mind even though i'm not a huge fan either.

Now before I go on remember I put this cd in my Top 10 even with these HUGE flaws because the music is so incredible. This is just why I can't ever see they being anywhere near as good as BTBAM.

So I already told you about my extreme hatred for Hair-Trigger. Musically it's a 9 or 10 and lyrically and vocally it's a -10. From the 1st stupid line I hate it. People rag on BFMV for cheesy shit and H-T's lyrics and vocals make them sound like Slayer. Possibly my least favorite song of 2011. That "high school" line is so bad lyrically and vocally on so many levels and I literally can't listen to that song anymore.

Ok so Tamden starts off and I'm like EXACTLY! This is how this dude should sing all the time. I have no idea what he's singing about but I'm REALLY digging it. A band called Protest The Hero doesn't have to sing about Satan every song but at least give me something with some testosterone that I can relate to and sing along to. And then the 2 minute mark happens...

I had heard the Rose, Disclose, Expose Compose part earlier and was ok with it but when he bellows about the father or brother then rhymes so she knows I still love her with it I seriously have to keep myself from projectile vomiting.

WTF is that 9th grade Twilight bullshit? I'm like ok maybe it's about her dad beating her and her brother killed him or the singer is going to kill him... then he just ruins everything with the whiny ass disaffect her, so she knows how much I respect her line. Then another rose, disclose, pose, expose bullshit and I just have to sit and wonder how incredible this band would be with a dude singing instead of Robert Smith.

Like I said not hating on people who like it. Lots of people don't care about vocals and lyrics but I can never be one of those people. I couldn't fathom driving in my car jamming that song and singing those words or even caring what the hell he's trying to say or what the story is. If I want to hear that shit I'll turn the Lifetime channel on or watch Twilight. It's literally the same exact thing to me unless I'm really missing something

Best lyrics in a decade? If you're in a really happy place with a girl and want to sing that song to her, I might understand I guess. Other than that I just don't get that guy or ever care to know his name. I literally have very little respect for him as a lyricist and think he's holding back an amazing group of musicians from achieving their dreams and making incredible music. His vocals have their moments but as a whole he annoys the shit out of me.

To each his own and the cd is still great even with that dude. Even Moonlight which isn't about a girl (thank god) is just weird. Take a piss, take a picture. obviously he's intelligent I just can't stand him. Maybe it'll grow on me or I'll just tune him out. Or better yet, they release Scurrilous as an instrumental cd like they did the other one. I would WORSHIP that! hahaha

DethMaiden
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Tandem is Rody's ode to someone he knows with terminal cancer who puts on a smile anyway, dude. :hecho:

It's between that touching fact alone and the fact that he touches on the themes of the mystery of how fate saddles good people with shitty things like cancer ("If there's one thing that remains so crystal clear to us it's that the wandering hands of the gods are so goddamn myserious") and closes with a really positive "you don't need religion to take comfort and solace when shitty things happen, you just need the support of the people in your life" verse: ("Saints walk the earth, they don't patrol the skies/They're the people right behind you riding tandem through the night/It's the comfort that's discovered between two sets of eyes/It's the hand that stills the other that shakes like candlelight") He's tackling big themes and handling them wonderfully. The music alone makes the album about an 8 for me but the vocals and lyrics propel it to breaking the meter on the scale of 10. Could not fucking disagree more, man. Glad you dig the music, but you're missing out on a lot of why this band is great.

jhdeity
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Tandem is Rody's ode to someone he knows with terminal cancer who puts on a smile anyway, dude. :hecho:

It's between that touching fact alone and the fact that he touches on the themes of the mystery of how fate saddles good people with shitty things like cancer ("If there's one thing that remains so crystal clear to us it's that the wandering hands of the gods are so goddamn myserious") and closes with a really positive "you don't need religion to take comfort and solace when shitty things happen, you just need the support of the people in your life" verse: ("Saints walk the earth, they don't patrol the skies/They're the people right behind you riding tandem through the night/It's the comfort that's discovered between two sets of eyes/It's the hand that stills the other that shakes like candlelight") He's tackling big themes and handling them wonderfully. The music alone makes the album about an 8 for me but the vocals and lyrics propel it to breaking the meter on the scale of 10. Could not fucking disagree more, man. Glad you dig the music, but you're missing out on a lot of why this band is great.

I'm glad you educated me on that. It doesn't change the fact that it's a Lifetime theme song but at least it makes sense now. I definitely listen to music to evoke emotion but not sure I want to go down that road while jamming out in my car or at a concert with friends. Maybe that's my problem. That incredible music doesn't fit that theme or those vocals in most spots. I'm guessing you're not going to defend Hair-Trigger because if that's about a similar topic I'd have to pick my jaw up off the floor.

I enjoy these debates and glad I could at least see why he's doing what he's doing. My own history with bands probably affects my feelings about him also. My friends band who are/were similar to PTH would write incredible music and their singer would ruin the songs time and time again. He would just babble about topics that didn't fit the music and would literally leave the crowds baffled at live shows. I definitely see the similarity...

mastodon421
04-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Yeah I agree, the lyrics to Tandem are so fucking deep. On top of that the lyrics are extremely clever and the message he is able to convey is very powerful.

DethMaiden
04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm glad you educated me on that. It doesn't change the fact that it's a Lifetime theme song but at least it makes sense now. I definitely listen to music to evoke emotion but not sure I want to go down that road while jamming out in my car or at a concert with friends. Maybe that's my problem. That incredible music doesn't fit that theme or those vocals in most spots. I'm guessing you're not going to defend Hair-Trigger because if that's about a similar topic I'd have to pick my jaw up off the floor.

I enjoy these debates and glad I could at least see why he's doing what he's doing. My own history with bands probably affects my feelings about him also. My friends band who are/were similar to PTH would write incredible music and their singer would ruin the songs time and time again. He would just babble about topics that didn't fit the music and would literally leave the crowds baffled at live shows. I definitely see the similarity...

At least now you know what's up while disagreeing. :cool: I'm just surprised someone into Scurrilous likes it in spite of the lyrics and vocals instead of partly because of them. You're the only one I've talked to who fits that description. :lol:

DethMaiden
04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Anyway, the new Burzum is definitely growing on me. Certainly better than Belus, possibly better than most of the early stuff. Weird how a guy can go away to prison for 22 years, hear no black metal, and come out and make some of the most relevant, fresh-sounding BM of the year. Varg is a true (musical) genius.

daimonos
04-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Anyway, the new Burzum is definitely growing on me. Certainly better than Belus, possibly better than most of the early stuff. Weird how a guy can go away to prison for 22 years, hear no black metal, and come out and make some of the most relevant, fresh-sounding BM of the year. Varg is a true (musical) genius.

I picked this up when it came out on tuesday. Incredible album, I think. Track 3 (Can't think of the name right this second...) is my favorite on the album, and like you said, the man truely is a genius.

DethMaiden
04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I picked this up when it came out on tuesday. Incredible album, I think. Track 3 (Can't think of the name right this second...) is my favorite on the album, and like you said, the man truely is a genius.

I believe the third track is Valen. Really all of the black metal pieces are brilliant, and the experimental track (tracks plural, if you count the intro) are way better than they ever have been in his career. No 25 minute electronic odysseys, just some cool folk guitar and simple drums with BM production. :lol:

jhdeity
04-07-2011, 04:51 PM
At least now you know what's up while disagreeing. :cool: I'm just surprised someone into Scurrilous likes it in spite of the lyrics and vocals instead of partly because of them. You're the only one I've talked to who fits that description. :lol:

What's funny is so many people must think the same thing because I've defnitely heard the instrumental version of Fortress way more than the original. Think about it, Mastodon did it a few years later but PTH was the 1st band I've ever heard of putting out an instrumental version of their cd a few months after it's release. Why would they do that unless they knew people would want to hear it or rather hear their incredible music without the annoying vocals? Just sayin...

Ironically the guy who turned me onto them was intelligent enough to burn me the instrumental copy of Fortress 1st knowing I'd probably hate the original as much as he did initially. He's into them hardcore now but that dude is definitely an acquired taste if nothing else. I'm hoping I'll be able to tolerate him at some point but I've been a PTH fan for over 3 years now while totally hating the vocals. Certain songs are better than others obviously but I'm 100% sure you'll never catch me jamming out to hair-trigger. hahaha

jhdeity
04-07-2011, 04:57 PM

I'd have to agree with Valen. What a cool riff but it's just so hollow to me. My problem with Belus was the drums sounding like cardboard and as much as I dig that track how incredible would it sound with real drums and any kind of bass?

MPF
04-08-2011, 01:18 AM
To the 3 of us who care:

The new dredg just leaked. It's very.......different.

jhdeity
04-08-2011, 09:47 AM
My buddy just sent me 2 new Scar Symmetry tracks. Pretty good stuff

larvtard
04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Fortress is a catch-22 for me. I can't listen to the regular version because of the vocals, but I can't listen to the instrumental because it sounds empty without vocals. It wasn't arranged as an instrumental album; it was arranged specifically with vocals in mind, so when I listen to it without the vocals, it sounds awkward, because I can tell that there were supposed to be vocals there. Does that make sense?

jhdeity
04-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Fortress is a catch-22 for me. I can't listen to the regular version because of the vocals, but I can't listen to the instrumental because it sounds empty without vocals. It wasn't arranged as an instrumental album; it was arranged specifically with vocals in mind, so when I listen to it without the vocals, it sounds awkward, because I can tell that there were supposed to be vocals there. Does that make sense?

Totally. After digesting the instrumental version of Fortress a few times I was dying to hear it with vocals. Talk about a let down... Some songs were just totally ruined but others I could tolerate. Kinda like the new one. Tapestry is kinda cool vocally (except that one part) but musically it's not as good as some others. I still like the new cd but am getting into their older stuff now because I heard the vocals are somewhat better and he didn't write the lyrics.

I'm sure people will disagree but I think that dude is the worst vocalist in the best band that I listen to. It's not that he can't sing, it's that he wants to sound like a dickhead and comes off like a hipster/artsy/pompus ass. My buddy said he saw them live and all the guy did was preach and ramble on stage. I can't verify that but I picture him being like that actually. I might have to scour that "dickhead to meet" thread and see if anyone can confirm this.

When he sings like Mike Patton or Glassjaw, I really dig him. Too bad he doesn't do that enough...

Indestructible
04-08-2011, 12:31 PM
My buddy just sent me 2 new Scar Symmetry tracks. Pretty good stuff

Im looking forward to that this year.

smearCampaign
04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
When he sings like Mike Patton or Glassjaw, I really dig him. Too bad he doesn't do that enough...

I think this exactly sums up why I can't ever fully get onboard with PTH vocally. It's so close to being really interesting.

hb420
04-08-2011, 11:39 PM
The new Pentagram is really good. Their best since Be Forwarned. Bobby and the rest really made a huge comeback with this.

Akumu
04-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I checked out Scurrilous and loved the first track, but I thought it got really samey and it didn't do much for me. I really dig their vocalist, though - he was actually my favorite part of their sound.

Magnisphyricon by Sons of Seasons is awesome - keyboard-laden dark prog featuring Oliver Palotai of Kamelot and Henning Basse of Metalium, somewhat reminiscent of Symphony X. Simone Simons sings in a few sections, too. Much better than their first release. I'm expecting this to be personal top 10 material.

idrinkwine732
04-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Didn't like the pig squeals in Asylum Cave...

treghet
04-09-2011, 12:24 AM

It could have been such a great album... :(

mastodon421
04-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Listened to a decent amount of new records in the past week or so. Here are my brief thoughts on each of them

Between The Buried and Me-The Parralax: Hyersleep Dialogues- I know this is going to come as a huge shock,I loved it. Typical awesome BTBAM. Not as crazy or weird as the past two records, but I didn't really expect that. Awesome EP that got me even more amped for the next full-length

Foo Fighters-Wasting Light- This was actually very good. Once I heard "Rope" I knew it would be better than their last record and it is by leaps and bounds. I am really digging the hard rock edge thrown in on this record. One of my Foo Fighters records and it is currently sitting in my top 5 for the year.

TesseracT-One- This was decent, but I didn't really get the hype behind this. Not bad by any means, it just wasn't anywhere near mind-blowing(a lot of reviews I read talked about they were the best prog metal band to hit the scene in years).

Obscura-Omnivium- Obscura was a band I really not heard much of their much of their stuff in the past. I finally stopped procrastinating and downloaded Omnivium and it some damn fine tech-death. Their use of fretless basses are excellent and there is a plethora of blistering guitar solos. I need to go back and download their earlier material.

jhdeity
04-09-2011, 09:05 AM
So I'm jamming PTH's cd Kezia and I'm loving it. The vocals are so much better than anything I've heard from them. Kinda SOAD-ish and it hit me. These guys probably started off being very heavily influenced by SOAD and the vocalist just took it way too far.

Then I discovered their 1st EP which includes this:

http://youtu.be/yLFIxgd3LWI

Mystery solved.

Back to my initial post, Darkest Hour & Foo Fighters were the last 2 cd's to make my list and both are climing up it rapidly. Very impressive!

slapguitarer
04-09-2011, 02:26 PM
1/2. Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues/ Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
3. Light Bearer - Lapsus
4. Obscura - Omnivium
5. Scale the Summit - The Collectice
6. Fear the Fiasco - Hatch
7. Red Fang - Murder the Mountains
8. Grayceon - All We Destroy
9. Mogwai - Harcore Will Never Die, But You Will
10. Tesseract - One
11. Thomas Giles - Pulse
12. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
13. Vreid - V
14. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
15. The Human Abstaract - Digital Veil
16. Crowbar - Sever The Wicked Hand
17. Havok - Time is Up
18. Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever
19. Arafel - For Battles Once Fought

More or less. I'm missing a few albums I've listened to.

NecroRob
04-09-2011, 03:36 PM

Really? The pig squeals actually don't bother me that much on the record.

hb420
04-10-2011, 01:50 AM
The new Gates of Slumber is really good shit, excellent doom.

jhdeity
04-10-2011, 09:47 AM

I have 1 song of theirs on a compilation called Death From Above. The song is called To The Rack With Them and I really dig it. The compilation is called Classic Rock and is from a dude from Napalm Death's label Rise Above Records. I think it came out with Classic Rock Magazine but I got it on ebay for $1.

The best thing about this compilation is there is a song from The "Original" Iron Maiden. I had no clue there was a 70's band called Iron Maiden before Steve Harris and Co. stole it. hahaha

It's kinda groovy actually. I recommend this sampler is anyone can find it. It's a 2011 release and has 70's stuff and 2011 stuff intermingled.

DethMaiden
04-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Burzum's new one is still growing on me but here's what I submitted to the paper for my review today:

“Fallen” but not broken

Looking past the questionable use of Times New Roman in place of a band logo on its otherwise tasteful cover, the latest offering from black metal iconoclast Varg Vikernes is everything we’ve come to expect from a Burzum album.
“Fallen” is the second album Vikernes has released since his own release from Norwegian federal prison in 2009. He served 16 years of a 21-year sentence for the murder of fellow black metal luminary Øystein “Euronymous” Aarseth, and though he released a pair of experimental ambient albums from jail, he remained almost entirely cut off from the scene during his incarceration.
It’s somewhat surprising, then, that “Fallen” is one of the freshest black metal albums in years.
Vikernes infuses the raw, entrancing sound he honed on records like “Hvis Lyset Tar Oss” and “Filosofem” with folk elements far less subtle than on past Burzum releases. The result is a more fulfilling experience than “Belus,” his first post-prison album, that at times rivals the greatest work of his ‘90s golden days.
Thanks to Vikernes’ controversial past, Burzum always inspires debate about the separation of art and artist. An album with cuts as choice as “Jeg Faller” (“I Am Falling”) and “Valen” (“Fallen”) makes the separation all the easier.

GRADE: B+

Indestructible
04-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Burzum's new one is still growing on me but here's what I submitted to the paper for my review today:

“Fallen” but not broken

Looking past the questionable use of Times New Roman in place of a band logo on its otherwise tasteful cover, the latest offering from black metal iconoclast Varg Vikernes is everything we’ve come to expect from a Burzum album.
“Fallen” is the second album Vikernes has released since his own release from Norwegian federal prison in 2009. He served 16 years of a 21-year sentence for the murder of fellow black metal luminary Øystein “Euronymous” Aarseth, and though he released a pair of experimental ambient albums from jail, he remained almost entirely cut off from the scene during his incarceration.
It’s somewhat surprising, then, that “Fallen” is one of the freshest black metal albums in years.
Vikernes infuses the raw, entrancing sound he honed on records like “Hvis Lyset Tar Oss” and “Filosofem” with folk elements far less subtle than on past Burzum releases. The result is a more fulfilling experience than “Belus,” his first post-prison album, that at times rivals the greatest work of his ‘90s golden days.
Thanks to Vikernes’ controversial past, Burzum always inspires debate about the separation of art and artist. An album with cuts as choice as “Jeg Faller” (“I Am Falling”) and “Valen” (“Fallen”) makes the separation all the easier.

GRADE: B+

Is it that easy being a fan of a band knowing that the leader of that band is a murderer? If a member of a band I liked was a murderer, there was proof and the band kept them as member I dont think I would feel right listening to that band.

BloodoftheKings
04-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Is it that easy being a fan of a band knowing that the leader of that band is a murderer? If a member of a band I liked was a murderer, there was proof and the band kept them as member I dont think I would feel right listening to that band.

For me their music would have to be really good. But Varg did kill that guy in self defense though, Euronymous and his friend were about to kill Varg but he knew what they were up to and killed him first.

treghet
04-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Indestructible, Varg is the only member...

For me their music would have to be really good. But Varg did kill that guy in self defense though, Euronymous and his friend were about to kill Varg but he knew what they were up to and killed him first.

Stabbing someone 23 times isn't self defense. :tp:

BloodoftheKings
04-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Stabbing someone 23 times isn't self defense. :tp:

Well not completely justified, but still.

idrinkwine732
04-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Yes, it is. I detest the actions of several members of bands but that is not an indictment of their musical ability.

Arghoslent are racists, but they are one of the finest death metal bands playing. Nokturnal Mortum are NS, but play some incredible music.

jhdeity
04-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't judge people but Varg is one bad dude.

I saw the Metal: A Headbangers Journey movie which explains some of this but a movie needs to be made of Varg Vikernes life.

A church burning murderer who is obsessed with Lord of the Rings and making music that delibrately sounds like it was produced in a closet. hahaha

Indestructible
04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
New Arch Enemy this year, don't know the exact date.

mastodon421
04-11-2011, 11:46 AM
New Arch Enemy this year, don't know the exact date.

June 7th

Natrlhi
04-12-2011, 10:32 AM
New Arch Enemy this year, don't know the exact date.Nice job, buddy. Welcome to last January (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=333307&postcount=6109).

Also, posted about six weeks ago in this thread:
@moobys:

Mogwai and Grayceon are neck and neck for me right now. I do think there's some stuff coming that has the potential, at least, to unseat both of them, though.

With new releases coming by Baroness (allegedly), Russian Circles, Coalesce, Meshuggah, PRIMUS, Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Asphyx, Wino, Weedeater, Trap Them, Rotten Sound, Amon Amarth, Obscura, Autopsy, Indian, Red Fang, Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Vektor, Arch Enemy, Gorguts, Made Out of Babies, Anaal Nathrakh, TOOL, Absu, Unearth, Revocation, Gojira, Gorod, Cynic, Vader, Dreaming Dead, Cormorant, Shrinebuilder, Neurosis (allegedly), Origin, Decapitated, Napalm Death, Exhumed, Goatwhore, Brutal Truth, Voivod (apparently?), Fleshgod Apocalypse, Pig Destroyer (allegedly), Fredrik Thordendal’s Special Defects (allegedly), Cult of Luna (allegedly), The Mars Volta (allegedly), Grails (someday), and yes, even Necrophagist (someday, allegedly, maybe...) - 2011 is shaping up to be a promising year indeed. :metal:

...and finally, a new song of theirs was recently posted - this even has its very own thread:

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=16452&highlight=arch+enemy

BloodoftheKings
04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't judge people but Varg is one bad dude.

I saw the Metal: A Headbangers Journey movie which explains some of this but a movie needs to be made of Varg Vikernes life.

A church burning murderer who is obsessed with Lord of the Rings and making music that delibrately sounds like it was produced in a closet. hahaha

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014809/

jhdeity
04-13-2011, 08:22 AM

EPICNESS!

treghet
04-13-2011, 08:24 AM
New Septic Flesh song!

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2011/04/12/septic-flesh-the-great-mass/#more-30117

It's at the bottom of the page.

DethMaiden
04-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Top ten's definitely been shaken up a bit:

3. Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
4. Evergrey - Glorious Collision
5. Burzum - Fallen
6. Lionize - Destruction Manual
8. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
9. Anaal Nathrakh - Passion
10. Darkest Hour - The Human Romance

powerslave_85
04-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Protest The Hero grew on me quite a bit, but I'm not sure if it'll make my list yet. Same goes for Foo Fighters and Thursday.

JRA
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM

Well when you put it like that... :tp:

jhdeity
04-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Well when you put it like that... :tp:

It's called sarcasm and yeah... :rolleyes:

When I read that he chooses to use old beat up microphones and drums rather than better ones I just laughed. It's like he's trying too hard to be Quorthon...

Picturing someone burning down churches then going home and watching Frodo... C'mon Man!

jhdeity
04-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Top ten's definitely been shaken up a bit:

3. Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
4. Evergrey - Glorious Collision
5. Burzum - Fallen
6. Lionize - Destruction Manual
8. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
9. Anaal Nathrakh - Passion
10. Darkest Hour - The Human Romance

Evergrey and Darkest Hour moving up my list...

JRA
04-13-2011, 05:15 PM
It's called sarcasm and yeah... :rolleyes:

No shit sherlock.

brutal_descent
04-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Immediately ordered on Amazon.

HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT HOLYSHIT :drool:

mastodon421
04-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Top 10 as of 4/13/11 (20 records listened to so farv I don't count EP's so BTBAM is getting held out of this)
1.Protest The Hero-Scurrilous
2.Born of Osiris-The Discovery
3.Times Of Grace-The Hymn Of A Broken Man
4.Darkest Hour-The Human Romance
5.Foo Fighters-Wasting Light
6.Obscura-Omnivium
7.Children Of Bodom-Relentless Reckless Forever
8.Thomas Giles-Pulse
9.Amon Amarth-Surtur Rising
10.Last Chance To Reason-Level 2

jhdeity
04-13-2011, 06:52 PM

Same here. Found it on ebay. YAHTZEE!

BloodoftheKings
04-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Top 10 as of 4/13
1. Dropkick Murpheys - Going Out In Style
2. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
3. Motorhead - The World Is Yours
4. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
5. Weedeater - Jason The Dragon
6. Red Fang - Murder The Mountains
7. Obscura - Omnivium
8. Destruction - Day Of Reckoning
9. Agnostic Front - My Life My Way
10. Macabre - Grim Scary Tales

brutal_descent
04-13-2011, 07:02 PM

:fist:

BloodoftheKings
04-13-2011, 07:27 PM

I hope you guys know it's not entirely about Varg Vikernes. But it does go into greater detail about that incident plus the church burnings then any other film I know of. If you are a fan of black metal then you should check it out but don't expect a whole movie about Varg.

brutal_descent
04-13-2011, 07:31 PM
I hope you guys know it's not entirely about Varg Vikernes. But it does go into greater detail about that incident plus the church burnings then any other film I know of. If you are a fan of black metal then you should check it out but don't expect a whole movie about Varg.

I know, I don't mind.

BloodoftheKings
04-13-2011, 07:35 PM
I know, I don't mind.

Just making sure you know what to expect.

brutal_descent
04-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Just making sure you know what to expect.

:D Thanks for the concern.

"VARG TIEM..."

"...FUUUUU"

DethMaiden
04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
It's the best black metal doc because it's actually, you know, a film, not just a camera set up in a room while black metal musicians tell boring stories we've all read with shitty lighting and no pans or zooms. Filmmakers made it, so its inherently watchable. Great little flick.

smearCampaign
04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
I really enjoyed Until the Light Takes Us. I'm a big fan of documentaries in general.

For those who have not seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j_ZMD6TNGc

I've really been digging this album lately.

jhdeity
04-14-2011, 02:26 PM
It's the best black metal doc because it's actually, you know, a film, not just a camera set up in a room while black metal musicians tell boring stories we've all read with shitty lighting and no pans or zooms. Filmmakers made it, so its inherently watchable. Great little flick.

Yeah the one I got has a bunch of extras and shit. I'm fascinated by the whole story. No interest in seeing him playing with hobbit dolls..

Hearing him singing death metal PRREECIIOOOOOOOUSSSSS would be funny though

larvtard
04-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Streaming the new Neuraxis. I can't say I'm a fan of tech death, at all, but this is actually pretty good.

treghet
04-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Just listened to the new Septicflesh album and it's great. It's pretty much a continuation of Communion, but more consistent. However, I like Communion more, because even though it has a few songs I don't care for at all, it has some truly incredible ones that make up for it, which I feel The Great Mass is lacking.

Favorites: "The Vampire From Nazareth", "Five-Pointed Star", and "Therianthropy"

MPF
04-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Many short, one sentence reviews coming up:

Foo Fighters: Only album I've liked straight through since The Colour And The Shape.

Red Fang: It's great to see a band keep the spirit of Kyuss alive.

Scar Symmetry: A lot better then I was expecting.

Septic Flesh: Damn good album.

Periphery: Love, even the remixes I dig.

Last Chance To Reason: Best band that I see no love from here at all.

Dredg: The more I listen to it, the more I like it, even through it is poppy as hell.

Indestructible
04-16-2011, 11:06 PM
New Artillery album is out or is coming out this year, it's called My Blood.

Indestructible
04-16-2011, 11:07 PM

I want

mastodon421
04-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Many short, one sentence reviews coming up:

Foo Fighters: Only album I've liked straight through since The Colour And The Shape.

Septic Flesh: Damn good album.

Periphery: Love, even the remixes I dig.

Last Chance To Reason: Best band that I see no love from here at all.

Dredg: The more I listen to it, the more I like it, even through it is poppy as hell.

Last Chance To Reason is awesome. I checked out Level 2 last week and saw them yesterday at NEMHF. Great band that I can see blowing up soon.

pharmD_metalhead
04-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Scar Symmetry is just not the same without Christian Älvestam

MPF
04-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Scar Symmetry is just not the same without Christian Älvestam

That's why I hates the last album. But The Unseen Empire is actually pretty damn good, I'm very shocked about that. It's kinda like Darkest Hour for me when Kris Norris left. The album before sucked, but The Human Romance is one of the best things they have ever done.

pharmD_metalhead
04-17-2011, 10:44 PM
That's why I hates the last album. But The Unseen Empire is actually pretty damn good, I'm very shocked about that. It's kinda like Darkest Hour for me when Kris Norris left. The album before sucked, but The Human Romance is one of the best things they have ever done.

I totally agree with you about the new Darkest Hour album. I can't get enough of it. I haven't listened to The Unseen Empire yet, but I will definitely give it a listen. It has to be better than their previous stuff. I just wish Christian was still singing. His clean vocals are sick.

MPF
04-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I totally agree with you about the new Darkest Hour album. I can't get enough of it. I haven't listened to The Unseen Empire yet, but I will definitely give it a listen. It has to be better than their previous stuff. I just wish Christian was still singing. His clean vocals are sick.

Very true. It also makes me wish that Solution .45 was good. I can't get into it at all.

DethMaiden
04-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Okay, I'm totally on board with the new BTBAM and it's pretty solidly somewhere in the bottom half of my top ten. Took a little longer than most of their stuff to click with me but I'm in love with it now. This band can do no wrong.

pharmD_metalhead
04-18-2011, 10:03 PM
New addition to my top 2011 albums. Probably in the top 5.

Sylosis - Edge of the Earth: :drool: is all I can say

slapguitarer
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Okay, I'm totally on board with the new BTBAM and it's pretty solidly somewhere in the bottom half of my top ten. Took a little longer than most of their stuff to click with me but I'm in love with it now. This band can do no wrong.

jhdeity
04-19-2011, 07:58 AM
New addition to my top 2011 albums. Probably in the top 5.

Sylosis - Edge of the Earth: :drool: is all I can say

Sands of Time is one of my favorite songs of 2011 so far...

larvtard
04-19-2011, 08:00 AM

On my second listen, I've realized that it's not bad, but the clean vocals turn me off.

jhdeity
04-19-2011, 09:17 AM

Finally watched Until the Light Takes Us. Pretty compelling. The best part was definitely Varg and the stories of the record shop. The only complaint would be it spent way too much time with Fenriz. That guy just isn't very interesting and I see why there are so many bad reviews of the flick because it should have had a few more people to add diversity and not spent so much time with him.

As interesting as Varg is, it's hard to believe him at times. He definitely comes off kinda shady when recollecting the murder. The courtroom footage is great though and dude makes some really valid points.

Overall I liked the history lesson and would still recommend people see it. I'd still rate Metal: A Headbangers Journey over it because it's way more interesting and covers so many more bands but I'm glad I watched it.

BloodoftheKings
04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Finally watched Until the Light Takes Us. Pretty compelling. The best part was definitely Varg and the stories of the record shop. The only complaint would be it spent way too much time with Fenriz. That guy just isn't very interesting and I see why there are so many bad reviews of the flick because it should have had a few more people to add diversity and not spent so much time with him.

As interesting as Varg is, it's hard to believe him at times. He definitely comes off kinda shady when recollecting the murder. The courtroom footage is great though and dude makes some really valid points.

Overall I liked the history lesson and would still recommend people see it. I'd still rate Metal: A Headbangers Journey over it because it's way more interesting and covers so many more bands but I'm glad I watched it.

I felt the same way. I think the point of all the Fenriz parts was to show what life is like for someone who is immersed in the black metal community. They really didn't have to show all that and it would have been nice to have interviews with more musicians.

idrinkwine732
04-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Krallice's Diotima is the best album in 2011 so far.

DethMaiden
04-19-2011, 09:40 PM

:wow:

I honestly disliked it. :lol:

treghet
04-19-2011, 09:53 PM

Yeah, I listened two a couple songs and wasn't interested. Perhaps I'll give it a full listen, but what I heard didn't inspire me to finish the rest.

treghet
04-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Also, the contender for the worst album of 2011 so far is going to Winds of Plague. They really unleashed all of their wiggerdom on this album.

idrinkwine732
04-19-2011, 09:59 PM

You honestly were WRONG then. :cool:

I'm on my second listen, but I'm in love, for sure. :lovedup:

smokebeer420
04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Also, the contender for the worst album of 2011 so far is going to Winds of Plague. They really unleashed all of their wiggerdom on this album.

haha wiggerdom

jhdeity
04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
haha wiggerdom

This.

idrinkwine732
04-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Of the albums with release dates, the only one I'm really dying to hear is Passion.

hb420
04-19-2011, 11:54 PM

This :fist:
already preorderd my copy.

jhdeity
04-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Of the albums with release dates, the only one I'm really dying to hear is Passion.

Sounds like you're an a hipster roll there Broski...

If nothing else has you fired up on the 2011 release front then I fear we've lost you to the Hipster movement forever.

Time to change the name to Idrinkmartinis732

larvtard
04-20-2011, 01:13 PM

If nothing else has you fired up on the 2011 release front then I fear we've lost you to the Hipster movement forever.

L:lol:L

idrinkwine732
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM

With release dates...

There are plenty of other 2011 releases that I'm looking forward to, a lot of them don't have release dates though.

larvtard
04-21-2011, 01:21 PM
yeah I'm not into that Krallice album. I dunno if it's too hipster-sounding or what, it's just out there...

JuuKun
04-21-2011, 01:21 PM
The new Primordial comes out in two days in Europe (five in the US), and it hasn't leaked. I don't think I can remember the last time a release I wanted to hear didn't leak...

larvtard
04-22-2011, 03:18 PM
ANb/Despise You split is very good. I've never listened to Despise You but they are really good. ANb's material on here is much stronger than that on Agorapocalypse.

treghet
04-23-2011, 01:20 AM
I finally got around to listening to the new Burzum. It's pretty good, but I like Belus more.

JuuKun
04-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Finally got a hold of it, and Redemption at the Puritan's Hand does NOT disappoint. I didn't think Primordial could top To the Nameless Dead, but they just might have. Going to be absorbing this one for most of the day. My current #1 for the year, and the only album coming out (that I can think of) that might have a chance of beating it is Pagan's Mind.

treghet
04-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Pestilence's new album is out today. I gave it a listen and it's pretty good. The vocals are more like Martin van Drunen's style, which I prefer. The music itself is awesome, having a bit more a progressive edge to it, while retaining the heaviness the band is known for.

Edit: Listening to it again and I'm loving it more. :rocker:

hb420
04-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Recently just got ahold of "Mammal" and holy shit it doesn't dissapoint. :rocker: This is easily AOTY material.

MPF
04-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Lots of new albums I gotta check out tonight. I'll uptade either late tonight or tomorrow sometime.

hb420
04-25-2011, 12:48 AM
4/25
1. Altar of Plagues - Mammal
3. Obscura - Omnivium
4. Krallice - Diotima
5. Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
6. Indian - Guiltless
7. Gates of Slumber - The Wretch
8. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
9. Red Fang - Murder The Mountains
10. Burzum - Fallen
11. Grayceon - All We Destroy
12. Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon

christopher
04-26-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm listening to the new Airborne Toxic Event cd that came out today entitled All at Once. I'm digging it so far. Definitely not as good as the first record but I still like it. Can't wait to see them on Jimmy Kimmel on Thursday

ANb/Despise You split is very good. I've never listened to Despise You but they are really good. ANb's material on here is much stronger than that on Agorapocalypse.

Despise You is badass! Too bad they don't tour cause they put on a great show. I'm lucky they are from LA so I get to see them every 6 months or so:party:

treghet
04-26-2011, 09:39 PM
New Deceased song here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqlVGE4H97s

I can't wait for this to come out. :rocker:

MPF
04-27-2011, 01:39 PM
New Anaal Nathrakh is now available.

Just about to check it out.

mastodon421
04-27-2011, 03:23 PM
I heard the new Arch Enemy leaked, can anyone confirm if this is true? I looked it up, but I couldn't find a download link.

MPF
04-27-2011, 03:28 PM
I heard the new Arch Enemy leaked, can anyone confirm if this is true? I looked it up, but I couldn't find a download link.

New Arch Enemy leaked a while back, but I didn't have any desire to check it out.

I'll PM you the link. :rocker:

hb420
04-27-2011, 03:38 PM
New Arch Enemy leaked a while back, but I didn't have any desire to check it out.

I'll PM you the link. :rocker:

I think what your talking about is a compilation that metal hammer came with. I don't believe the actual cd leaked yet.

MPF
04-27-2011, 03:56 PM
I think what your talking about is a compilation that metal hammer came with. I don't believe the actual cd leaked yet.

Ahhhh, So it is. I guess that shows how much of a Arch Enemy fan I am. :eyes:

NecroRob
04-28-2011, 06:15 PM
New Deceased song here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqlVGE4H97s

I can't wait for this to come out. :rocker:

MPF
04-29-2011, 06:54 PM
The new Pestilence is out.

Musically: Top Notch
Vocally: Fucking horrible!!!

MPF
04-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Just bought Primordial's Redemption at The Puritan's Hands. MIndblowing stuff.

Irish Folk Black Metal with actual good vocals. Besides the occasional growl, it sounds like Hansi from Blind Guardian on vocals. It just came out Tuesday, BUY IT!

BloodoftheKings
04-29-2011, 08:15 PM

:lol: I heard a couple songs of it. I agree, Pestilence vocals were kinda always bad but on their old albums they were bad in a cool way, like Paul Baloff.

treghet
04-29-2011, 11:47 PM

:lol: I heard a couple songs of it. I agree, Pestilence vocals were kinda always bad but on their old albums they were bad in a cool way, like Paul Baloff.

You guys disappoint me. :bouville:

MPF
04-30-2011, 12:23 AM
You guys disappoint me. :bouville:

Hey, this is coming from a long time Pestilence fan. The vocals on Resurrection Macabre I actually dig. This album sounds like the guy from Lifelover did a parody Pestilence album.

treghet
04-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Hey, this is coming from a long time Pestilence fan. The vocals on Resurrection Macabre I actually dig. This album sounds like the guy from Lifelover did a parody Pestilence album.

I've never listened to Lifelover, but to me the vocals sound like the old days. Not as good as Martin van Drunen's, but I will take it over the typical death growls every other band does.

MPF
04-30-2011, 12:37 AM
I've never listened to Lifelover, but to me the vocals sound like the old days. Not as good as Martin van Drunen's, but I will take it over the typical death growls every other band does.

Lifelover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cx4PZVJdSI&feature=related

Maybe I'll get used to his vocals over time, but at first hit...:eyes:

hb420
04-30-2011, 12:55 AM
The new samael is really great. a perfect mix of their last two which were radically different.

MPF
05-01-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure who is a fan here, but the new Panzerchrist is now out. I'll be checking it out soon.

Also checking out Samael and Xerath today as well.

MPF
05-02-2011, 07:07 PM
New Amorphis songs are hitting youtube. They are sounding damn good. Not sure if it is Skyforger good, but damn good none the less.

DethMaiden
05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm up to 38 releases. Looking to hit 50 by the halfway point of 2011 and do a midpoint top 10 list for Facebook like I did last year since a lot of people said they got good recommendations from it.

idrinkwine732
05-02-2011, 07:22 PM
New Amorphis songs are hitting youtube. They are sounding damn good. Not sure if it is Skyforger good, but damn good none the less.

I heard some of them and get this.

I think they're better than Skyforger. Aw yeah.

MPF
05-02-2011, 07:27 PM
I heard some of them and get this.

I think they're better than Skyforger. Aw yeah.

Awesome!

I've only heard two so far. Which ones have you heard?

MPF
05-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Wow...

I did a very bad thing and decided to check out Winds of Plagues' new album. Holy fuck balls this sucks!

Wigger Deathcore is right.

treghet
05-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow...

I did a very bad thing and decided to check out Winds of Plagues' new album. Holy fuck balls this sucks!

Wigger Deathcore is right.

:lol:

idrinkwine732
05-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Awesome!

I've only heard two so far. Which ones have you heard?

I can't remember, someone showed one of them to me somewhere else and I was all like :lovedup:

Skyforger was totally my thing, but I like this even more. :rocker:

MPF
05-02-2011, 11:48 PM
I can't remember, someone showed one of them to me somewhere else and I was all like :lovedup:

Skyforger was totally my thing, but I like this even more. :rocker:

The more I listen to them, the more I love them. since 2009, SKyforger has become one one of my top 5 albums of 2009. I have high hopes for the new album.

w00tasaurus
05-03-2011, 06:28 AM
very much enjoying the new Hate Eternal

larvtard
05-03-2011, 12:39 PM
very much enjoying the new Hate Eternal

yeah, I never considered myself a fan of them, but this new album is :wow: :drool:
sorta sounds like the new Deicide, but a bit stronger musically, a little more brutal, melodic, and even technical.
Treg, I know you hate the MetalSucks guys as much as I do, but trust me, they're right on this one. One of the best death metal albums I've heard in years.

BloodoftheKings
05-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I listened to Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 for the first time and much like a lot of Beastie Boys albums it's gonna need repeated listens. The only tracks that I found to be very instantly likable were Make Some Noise, Too Many Rappers, and Lee Majors Come Again. The first time I heard Paul's Boutique I only liked a few songs and after about the 5th time it became probably my favorite hip hop album of all time.

treghet
05-03-2011, 07:48 PM
yeah, I never considered myself a fan of them, but this new album is :wow: :drool:
sorta sounds like the new Deicide, but a bit stronger musically, a little more brutal, melodic, and even technical.
Treg, I know you hate the MetalSucks guys as much as I do, but trust me, they're right on this one. One of the best death metal albums I've heard in years.

I'll listen to it this weekend and see how it is. The songs I heard from it were pretty good.

MPF
05-04-2011, 12:33 AM
This may not be in English, but this is a top 5 album of the year, if not higher:

http://danieljakubovic.bandcamp.com/

JLRedWing13
05-04-2011, 01:00 AM
This year has just been incredible thus far....

illuminatus917
05-04-2011, 01:03 AM
This year has just been incredible thus far....

It's nice to see you make your way over here from the "Metal Uprising" boards. ;)

JLRedWing13
05-04-2011, 01:08 AM
It's nice to see you make your way over here from the "Metal Uprising" boards. ;)
Hahaha thanks. :D
I'm going to try to post here more often now that I'm out of school for a while. I missed this place.

illuminatus917
05-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Hahaha thanks. :D
I'm going to try to post here more often now that I'm out of school for a while. I missed this place.

jhdeity
05-04-2011, 07:22 AM
I listened to Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 for the first time and much like a lot of Beastie Boys albums it's gonna need repeated listens. The only tracks that I found to be very instantly likable were Make Some Noise, Too Many Rappers, and Lee Majors Come Again. The first time I heard Paul's Boutique I only liked a few songs and after about the 5th time it became probably my favorite hip hop album of all time.

This.

mastodon421
05-04-2011, 11:29 AM

I've listened to it a couple times and I love it. I think it's pretty different from their other stuff (beat-wise especiall), but I love the approach they took on it. Like you, most of The Beastie Boys stuff takes time to grow on me, but for whatever reason this record stuck with me right away.

MPF
05-04-2011, 06:28 PM
New Novmebers Doom Song:

http://soundcloud.com/paul-kuhr/02-harvest-scythe#

DethMaiden
05-04-2011, 06:57 PM
New Novmebers Doom Song:

NICE! Huge step up from the debacle that was Into Night's Requiem Infernal.

MPF
05-04-2011, 07:36 PM
NICE! Huge step up from the debacle that was Into Night's Requiem Infernal.

There was a few good songs on Into Night's Requiem Infernal. Empathy's Greed being one of them.

The tour was also where I saw Novembers Doom open for Atheist and Primal Fear. :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Indestructible
05-04-2011, 07:53 PM
New Novmebers Doom Song:

I like it.

MPF
05-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I like it.

Novembers Doom is a band you should check out at least once.

It's a great combination of Death/Doom Metal from Chicago. They are all great guys too.

After playing the Minnesota Metalfest where I saw them, their drummer is now refered to as "Master Beater" after breaking his bass drum pedal. :tongue:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-04-2011, 08:13 PM
I like me some ND. Drown the Inland Mere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nVb-k8nmqU) is pretty badass.

DethMaiden
05-04-2011, 09:09 PM
There was a few good songs on Into Night's Requiem Infernal. Empathy's Greed being one of them.

The tour was also where I saw Novembers Doom open for Atheist and Primal Fear. :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Maybe it was because The Novella Reservoir and the Pale Haunt Departure were so unfuckwithable but I thought INRI was practically unlistenable. This, however, I'm digging.

MPF
05-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Maybe it was because The Novella Reservoir and the Pale Haunt Departure were so unfuckwithable but I thought INRI was practically unlistenable. This, however, I'm digging.

That I can agree with. Those two are masterpieces. I'm really digging the new song. I think the album comes out at the end of the month. I hope they come back to Minnesota. I'd love to hang out with them again.

Blitzkrieg: I love that song. :fist:

JLRedWing13
05-05-2011, 12:20 AM
I love that track. I've never seen them live, hopefully I'll get the chance at some point.

hb420
05-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Christian Muenzner's (Obscura, ex-Necrophagist lead guitarist) solo album is out. Really good instrumental progressive metal.

Maiden33
05-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Two amazing debut albums I've recently come across:

Malison Rogue - Malison Rogue (Amazing traditional metal for fans of Queensryche, Maiden, Fates Warning, etc. Great new band from Sweden)

Lost in Thought - Opus Arise (UK Progressive Metal that sounds like a cross-section of newer Dream Theater, Vanden Plas, and Myrath)

Both are definitely top 10 contenders for the year for me thus far.

MPF
05-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Two amazing debut albums I've recently come across:

Malison Rogue - Malison Rogue (Amazing traditional metal for fans of Queensryche, Maiden, Fates Warning, etc. Great new band from Sweden)

Lost in Thought - Opus Arise (UK Progressive Metal that sounds like a cross-section of newer Dream Theater, Vanden Plas, and Myrath)

Both are definitely top 10 contenders for the year for me thus far.

Checked out both bands, very damn impressive stuff on both ends. :rocker:

MPF
05-05-2011, 07:03 PM
My Top 20 of 2011 as of 5-5-2011 (Order subject to change)

1.) Between The Buried And Me- The Parallax: The Hypersleep Dialogues
2.) Darkest Hour- The Human Romance
3.) Daniel Jakubovic- Elef Kirot
4.) Obscura- Omnivium
5.) Scale The Summit- The Collective
6.) Primordial- Redemption At The Puritan's Hands
7.) Dredg- Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy
8.) Long Distance Calling- Long Distance Calling
9.) Hotel Of The Laughing Tree- Terror And Everything After
10.) Amon Amarth- Sutur Rising
11.) Protest The Hero- Scurrilous
12.) Last Chance To Reason- Level 2
13.) Thomas Giles- Pulse
14.) Tesseract- One
15.) Evergrey- Glorious Collision
16.) Destruction- Day Of Reckoning
17.) Woods Of Desolation- Torn Beyond Reason
18.) Born Of Osiris- The Discovery
19.) Lazarus A. D.- Black Rivers Flow
20.) Goes Cube- In Tides And Drifts

treghet
05-05-2011, 07:45 PM
My Top 20 of 2011 as of 5-5-2011 (Order subject to change)

Oh, I thought you were making your end of the year list early. ;)

MPF
05-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Oh, I thought you were making your end of the year list early. ;)

Haha, No that will be June 20th when Deconstruction and Ghost come out. They will be the top 2 albums of the year, and I'll be damned if I can think of another album coming out this year that will top those. :rocker: