PDA

View Full Version : METALLICA likely to start recording in Spring

ravenheart
02-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Lars: "There is a really good vibe in the band at the moment. Previously, Metallica would hang us by the throat when we came home from a mammoth world tour, but this time it's different. Therefore it does not appear to be a long time before we start work on a new album. I think we'll be ready in March and April - when the creative process reaches a boil we'll go into the studio."

Travis The Dragon
02-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I really hope they take their sound a step further towards their old stuff. DM was in the right direction, but they need to step it up even more.

hb420
02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I really hope they take their sound a step further towards their old stuff. DM was in the right direction, but they need to step it up even more.

:horns:

IrritatedTrout
02-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Sweet, I enjoyed DM so I hope the next record is good... and produced better.:hecho:

DementedX14
02-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Sweet, I enjoyed DM so I hope the next record is good... and produced better.:hecho:

This. I hate overly compressed music.:flame:

girnny777
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM

This.

And this.

davidis138
02-01-2011, 05:11 PM

+1!

Kinda like how Megadeth released The System has Failed then the albums started getting heavier and heavier and more old skool.

Shadowswillfall414
02-01-2011, 05:25 PM
They need to push the bounderies. Almost like make this there modern master of puppets. Now im not saying anything as good, but good enough to be one of there best. Kind of like ride the lightning and master of puppets, there will be the modern form with death magnetic and the next album. Hoping they go in the right direction.

xskizzelzx90x
02-01-2011, 05:40 PM

this :D

makethemsuffer12
02-01-2011, 05:46 PM
They without a doubt still seem to be on this thrash metal kick, so I'm more or less expecting something along the lines of DM, hopefully much better engineered though. If they get Rubin again I'll cry (mainly because that would more than likely gaurantee Greg Fidelman's filthy hands getting on the console, and we all know how that turned out).

El Gordo
02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
They need to push the bounderies. Almost like make this there modern master of puppets. Now im not saying anything as good, but good enough to be one of there best. Kind of like ride the lightning and master of puppets, there will be the modern form with death magnetic and the next album. Hoping they go in the right direction.

If Death Magnetic is their modern Ride the Lightning, then it's all downhill from here.

Shadowswillfall414
02-01-2011, 07:03 PM
If Death Magnetic is their modern Ride the Lightning, then it's all downhill from here.

What i mean is that they have an epic album then they surpass that by making something even better.

Sepultura69
02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I thought Death Magnetic was a piece of shit album. This will probably be no different. I wish Metallica would just stop making records. Same with Slayer:hmm:

Shadowswillfall414
02-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I thought Death Magnetic was a piece of shit album. This will probably be no different. I wish Metallica would just stop making records. Same with Slayer:hmm:

I can understand ur metallica argument but slayers new albums still kick ass.

MPF
02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Meh, I'll wait for the next album when they release The Unforgiven IV.

Sepultura69
02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I can understand ur metallica argument but slayers new albums still kick ass.

Meh, I really don't like World Painted blood at all. The only songs I can handle are "Pychopathy Red", "Human Strain" and "UNIT 731". Other then that, the album is pretty much :barf:

World Painted Blood and Death Magnetic are both pretty shitty albums. I think both bands should just go on tours, play mass oldies, and fuck off on the new material. shit, son:cool:

Shadowswillfall414
02-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Meh, I really don't like World Painted blood at all. The only songs I can handle are "Pychopathy Red", "Human Strain" and "UNIT 731". Other then that, the album is pretty much :barf:

World Painted Blood and Death Magnetic are both pretty shitty albums. I think both bands should just go on tours, play mass oldies, and fuck off on the new material. shit, son:cool:

I honestly like world painted blood IMO but what ya gonna do.

Indestructible
02-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Death Magnetic is greater than World Painted Blood and pretty much everything Slayer.

Shadowswillfall414
02-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Death Magnetic is greater than World Painted Blood and pretty much everything Slayer.

...no... :hmm:

Sepultura69
02-01-2011, 09:49 PM

Nah, I think Disturbed's albums are better than anything made by metallica and slayer, bro:hmm:

Indestructible
02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Nah, I think Disturbed's albums are better than anything made by metallica and slayer, bro:hmm:

Disturbed is atleast better than new Slayer.

Sepultura69
02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Disturbed is atleast better than new Slayer.

God Hates Us All is better than anything Disturbed has ever made. :rocker:

DisposableJustice
02-01-2011, 09:52 PM
I wonder if they would bust out a new song at the big 4 fest....

anyway happy news I thought DM was good, not great but I always look forward to new material

ravenheart
02-02-2011, 02:48 AM

A big step in that direction would be not letting the label fuck with it after it's been mixed.

ravenheart
02-02-2011, 02:49 AM

Truth.

El Gordo
02-02-2011, 05:15 AM
What i mean is that they have an epic album then they surpass that by making something even better.

I know what you meant, it's just that your comparison doesn't work since Lightning is clearly the best album Metallica ever made, Master of Puppets included. I wouldn't worry about it though, since comparing Death Magnetic to Ride the Lightning is about as ridiculous as saying Disturbed is better than Slayer, which has also already happened in this thread.

makethemsuffer12
02-02-2011, 12:53 PM

:fist:

ShatteredFlame
02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
lol @ big name bands not knowing how to 'do it yourself'

AnthG
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I think Slayer has made 4 good songs in their history. The other songs are pretty much just re-recordings of those songs or unimpressive boring filler material. How people find this band so great is still mindboggling to me. And I know people are gonna come in and say something about how if they weren't around then a ton of my favourite bands wouldn't be around blah blah blah, and that may very well be true, but it doesn't change the fact that their music is very very mediocre.

Sepultura69
02-02-2011, 11:15 PM
I think Slayer has made 4 good songs in their history. The other songs are pretty much just re-recordings of those songs or unimpressive boring filler material.

How the fuck are songs like "Disciple", "Hell Awaits", "South of Heaven", "Postmortem", "Chemical Warfare", "War Ensemble", "Seasons in the Abyss", "Dittohead", "Bitter Piece", "Haunting the Chapel", "Jihad", "Payback", "Capitor of Sin", "Die By the Sword", "At Dawn They Sleep", "Ghost of War", "Live Undead" re-recordings or boring fillers? :confused:

:confused:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't you go to the Mansion/Slayer tour to go see Mansion? No offense but MM ain't so special either, broseph:cool:

Indestructible
02-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I think Slayer has made 4 good songs in their history. The other songs are pretty much just re-recordings of those songs or unimpressive boring filler material. How people find this band so great is still mindboggling to me. And I know people are gonna come in and say something about how if they weren't around then a ton of my favourite bands wouldn't be around blah blah blah, and that may very well be true, but it doesn't change the fact that their music is very very mediocre.

I agree with that a little and I like Slayer alot,, well the old stuff i like alot.

Dextrimental
02-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Metallica's new album = watered down thrash by a band who know they don't have to put the effort in for people to buy it.

Slayer's new album = pretty much the same style of song-writing and musicality as everything else they have done. They too know they don't have to try as hard for people to buy it, but it just so happens that Slayer have always sounded like Slayer.

The only bands out of this bay area scene still making great records are Testament and Overkill.

Indestructible
02-02-2011, 11:39 PM
The only bands out of this bay area scene still making great records are Testament and Overkill.
Testament and Overkill have also stayed true to their sound.....so has Exodus.

Dextrimental
02-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Testament and Overkill have also stayed true to their sound.....so has Exodus.

Well, no, Testament have been very inconsistent, but when they are on form, they are on FUCKING FORM. Atrocity A and B did very little for me if I am honest, Eodus are losing touch.

Indestructible
02-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Well, no, Testament have been very inconsistent, but when they are on form, they are on FUCKING FORM. Atrocity A and B did very little for me if I am honest, Eodus are losing touch.

Testament and Exodus, still have thrash in them, and stayed heavy metal.

AnthG
02-03-2011, 12:47 AM
How the fuck are songs like "Disciple", "Hell Awaits", "South of Heaven", "Postmortem", "Chemical Warfare", "War Ensemble", "Seasons in the Abyss", "Dittohead", "Bitter Piece", "Haunting the Chapel", "Jihad", "Payback", "Capitor of Sin", "Die By the Sword", "At Dawn They Sleep", "Ghost of War", "Live Undead" re-recordings or boring fillers? :confused:

:confused:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't you go to the Mansion/Slayer tour to go see Mansion? No offense but MM ain't so special either, broseph:cool:

Disciple's actually one of the 4 songs from Slayer I like, the other 3 being Angel of Death, Raining Blood, and South of Heaven.

But come on, don't try to tell me you don't hear recycled riffs, or even recycled sections from song to song by Slayer. The intro to Angel of Death sounds EXACTLY like the intro to War Ensemble, and then there's the intro to South of Heaven which sounds almost identical to that of Dead Skin Mask.

My main problem with Slayer is that they're the ultimate tease band. The songs start off pretty good with a decent or even really good riff or intro lick, but then after about 15-30 seconds it just goes to waste and the song turns into utter shit. The main boring rhythm part comes in, Tom Araya, who I think is one of the worst vocalists in metal, starts "singing", and then the bore factor starts up. And then mid way through the song Kerry King decides to do one of his patented god awful solos, and that's basically the nail in the coffin.

And you're right about Manson, at least about his stuff post Golden age of Grotesque, and i've talked negatively about his last 2 albums and his live show of late as much as the next guy. But what can I say? I'll take Holy Wood and Mechanical Animals and his live DVD over anything Slayer has done.

El Gordo
02-03-2011, 03:50 AM
Disciple's actually one of the 4 songs from Slayer I like, the other 3 being Angel of Death, Raining Blood, and South of Heaven.

But come on, don't try to tell me you don't hear recycled riffs, or even recycled sections from song to song by Slayer. The intro to Angel of Death sounds EXACTLY like the intro to War Ensemble, and then there's the intro to South of Heaven which sounds almost identical to that of Dead Skin Mask.

My main problem with Slayer is that they're the ultimate tease band. The songs start off pretty good with a decent or even really good riff or intro lick, but then after about 15-30 seconds it just goes to waste and the song turns into utter shit. The main boring rhythm part comes in, Tom Araya, who I think is one of the worst vocalists in metal, starts "singing", and then the bore factor starts up. And then mid way through the song Kerry King decides to do one of his patented god awful solos, and that's basically the nail in the coffin.

And you're right about Manson, at least about his stuff post Golden age of Grotesque, and i've talked negatively about his last 2 albums and his live show of late as much as the next guy. But what can I say? I'll take Holy Wood and Mechanical Animals and his live DVD over anything Slayer has done.

You're free to like as many or as few Slayer songs as you like, but to say that the band who released one of the best thrash albums EVER (South of Heaven) is a 'tease' band is pure idiocy. That album is solid throughout, solos included - the only part of your argument that holds any water. Show No Mercy is awesome as well, Hell Awaits is a step down, Reign in Blood is spotty and Seasons is solid. After that I could give a shit, but their legacy is confirmed with the first five.

mankvill
02-03-2011, 03:59 AM
You're free to like as many or as few Slayer songs as you like, but to say that the band who released one of the best thrash albums EVER (South of Heaven) is a 'tease' band is pure idiocy. That album is solid throughout, solos included - the only part of your argument that holds any water. Show No Mercy is awesome as well, Hell Awaits is a step down, Reign in Blood is spotty and Seasons is solid. After that I could give a shit, but their legacy is confirmed with the first five.

Confirmed: You and I have the exact same opinion on the first five Slayer albums.

IrritatedTrout
02-03-2011, 06:34 AM
I thought you loved Seasons?:confused:

Sepultura69
02-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Tom Araya, who I think is one of the worst vocalists in metal

In my opinion, Tom Araya's voice is what makes Slayer stand out from other Metal bands.

starts "singing", and then the bore factor starts up. And then mid way through the song Kerry King decides to do one of his patented god awful solos, and that's basically the nail in the coffin.

No body listens to Slayer to hear the solos. I'll give you credit for that, they do have some of the worst-god-awful solos ever put on a metal/rock record, but goddamn do they cook up some mean ass heavy riffs:rocker:

Show No Mercy is awesome as well, Hell Awaits is a step down, Reign in Blood is spotty and Seasons is solid. After that I could give a shit, but their legacy is confirmed with the first five.

No love for Haunting the Chapel EP? That album has some of their best songs ever written. Capitor of Sin, Agressive Perfector, CHEMICAL WARFARE:rocker:

Infact, the one thing I love about Haunting the Chapel is that it sounds like nothing else they have ever made(atleast after this record....) Reign in blood nor hell awaits sound nothing close to Haunting the Chapel, but maybe that's just me :cool:

Indestructible
02-03-2011, 08:59 AM

There are worse solos and vocals than anything in Slayer. I can see where someone doesn't like Slayer, All their lyrics are the same and everything after Seasons isn't that great. Out of all the thrash I listen to Slayer is in last place.

Sanitarium78
02-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Overkill is from New Jersey.

Since we're talking bay area thrash bands, I think since Megadeth came back in 2004 Dave has wrote some very strong material on the last three albums. As for the DM debate it's a good album that was a step in the right direction for Metallica. DM is the album that should've come after the black album but Metallica was more interested in being lazy and making easy money instead of writing a record of decent quality at all from '96-2003.

I kind of get the whole "Slayer is a teaser band" thing. The biggest example I have of that is Raining Blood. The intro to that song is one of the most legendary in metal history and musically it's an awesome song, but the vocals are just "meh" to me. The rest of the song just doesn't live up to what the intro is building it up to be. I've always thought that album as a whole is highly overrated to. I think SNM, HA, SOH and SITA are all a lot better than RIB.

Does anyone else think that if Testaments first album came out in 1983 they would've been a part of the big four instead of Slayer? I've always thought that since their sound was closer to the other three than Slayer's was.

AnthG
02-03-2011, 11:11 AM
No body listens to Slayer to hear the solos. I'll give you credit for that, they do have some of the worst-god-awful solos ever put on a metal/rock record, but goddamn do they cook up some mean ass heavy riffs:rocker:

Really? It seems to me that a reason a lot of people like Slayer is because of the solos. Kerry King is raved about as being one of the best guitarists in metal. I'm sure some people listen to Slayer because of the solos.

And like i've said, I disagree with this notion. I've tried listening to their classic albums, and other than a couple songs here and there I'm just incredibly bored all the time.

But you're free to love whatever albums you want and call them the best albums if you want. I mean, I like Mindless Self Indulgence. Who am I to criticize?

There are worse solos and vocals than anything in Slayer.

That's sort of like saying "Shit smells worse than vomit, so vomit doesn't smell that bad"

Seriously, I hate when someone brings that argument up. Like because something worse exists in music (or movies or TV shows or anything), that sort of nullifies anything bad or negative about the band being mentioned in the first place? It's like the whole "you can't judge music if you're not a musician yourself" bullshit.

I kind of get the whole "Slayer is a teaser band" thing. The biggest example I have of that is Raining Blood. The intro to that song is one of the most legendary in metal history and musically it's an awesome song, but the vocals are just "meh" to me. The rest of the song just doesn't live up to what the intro is building it up to be. I've always thought that album as a whole is highly overrated to. I think SNM, HA, SOH and SITA are all a lot better than RIB.

I'm not sure how much water this will hold with anyone here since it's been pretty unanimous that anything after Seasons isn't good, but take the first 3 released songs from World Painted Blood: Psychopathy Red, Hate Worldwide, and World Painted Blood. All of them start out with a pretty cool opening and build up (WPB) or a really great fucking riff that's catchy and gets stuck in your head (Psychopathy Red), and then after they wear off and the rest of the song kicks in it just turns into the same thing that all of their songs sound like.

El Gordo
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
No love for Haunting the Chapel EP? That album has some of their best songs ever written. Capitor of Sin, Agressive Perfector, CHEMICAL WARFARE:rocker:

Infact, the one thing I love about Haunting the Chapel is that it sounds like nothing else they have ever made(atleast after this record....) Reign in blood nor hell awaits sound nothing close to Haunting the Chapel, but maybe that's just me :cool:

Oh, Haunting the Chapel is fucking great, but it's an EP and thus does not qualify in my ranking of their full-lenghts.

elturtleboy
02-04-2011, 10:35 AM
World Painted Blood was fuckin good. Fuck haters. Death Magnetic wasnt good but wasnt as bad. At least there trying to be old skool again.

ALL Slayer>disturbed

makethemsuffer12
02-10-2011, 01:39 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=153734

girnny777
02-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I really, really hope it isn't old material re-recorded. I don't know what else they could do in two weeks.

idrinkwine732
02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
I really, really hope it isn't old material re-recorded. I don't know what else they could do in two weeks.

I will shoot a particularly cute puppy if that happens.jk bros, dogs rule.

Jochen
02-10-2011, 05:47 PM

I'm glad we agree.

makethemsuffer12
02-10-2011, 06:01 PM

I doubt it. Maybe it's an EP of sorts. I know they had some stuff left over from DM, so maybe some of that will finally see the light of day.

ravenheart
02-11-2011, 02:57 AM

Covers.