View Full Version : Favorite Horror Movies

BloodoftheKings
01-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Here's mine.

Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn :rocker::rocker::rocker:

A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

Hellraiser

Creepshow

Eraserhead (not really a horror movie but it can give you nightmares)

Every Goerge A. Romero Movie

Slither

Drag Me To Hell

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (not saying it's a better movie then the original but a far more entertaining one :tongue:)

DethMaiden
01-31-2011, 07:09 PM
The Shining
The Wicker Man
The Exorcist
The Ring

Eraserhead (kinda horror)
The Devil's Rejects (kinda horror)

Shadowswillfall414
01-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Uhhh dont make me do this man lol.

Paranormal activity (say what u will i thought i was brilliant)
The shining
Friday the 13th part 4 (in my opinion the scariest of the series)
Nightmare on elm street
Halloween
Halloween remake (again, say what u will, i thought i was as good as the first)
Dawn of the dead

evildeadjedi
01-31-2011, 07:47 PM
The Exorcist 1973 (saw as a child and it freaked me out)

Evil Dead 2 Dead by Dawn GROOVY!

EvilDead (sure Dead by Dawn is better but, I love this series)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984 definitely some of the others were good but near the end they went became more comedy than horror).

Hellraiser (definitely a classic)

Shaun of the Dead (great combination of horror and comedy)

Zombieland (see above)

Cemetery Man

I don't know about every Romero film but, definitely Night, Dawn and Day.

Slither (hell yes!)

Drag Me to Hell (Rami finally is back!)

Suspiria (Dario Argento nuff said)

Return of the Living Dead (1985) Sure Romero's is better but this is fun and has a great punk soundtrack featuring The Cramps, The Damned and others.

American Werewolf in London (awesome movie great marriage of horror and comedy and some of the best horror fx courtesy of Mr. Rick Baker)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original really twisted to see when you're younger)

Alien (okay technically not a horror film but, fuck that movie was terrifying when I saw it as a kid)

Phantasm (1978) Tall man, silver floating balls :eek:

Jaws (1975) I still think of this movie anytime I'm swimming in a large body of water.

Carrie (1976) "They're all going to laugh at you!"

Dead Alive (Peter Jackson before LOTR I kick arse for the lord!)

Scanners (Another horror/sci fi film)

Halloween (1978) I loved the idea of just a regular psycho instead of the usual supernatural stuff. Plus the theme song man that THEME SONG!!!!

John Carpenter's The Thing (some great effects in this one and terrifying)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Creepshow

Eraserhead (definitely very twisted)

The Wickerman (1973)

Indestructible
01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Paranormal activity

That movie was awful one of the worst. I do not get why everyone thought that movie was so good and real. It is very obviouse that movie is staged.

Shadowswillfall414
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
That movie was awful one of the worst. I do not get why everyone thought that movie was so good and real. It is very obviouse that movie is staged.

I dont think its real. I just think that (in my eyes) Its brilliant. The slow opening makes u feel safe and shit then boom shit goes down. Idk i find it a horror masterpiece. Trust me i get shit for it all the time.

BloodoftheKings
01-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Dead Alive (Robert Jordan before LOTR I kick arse for the lord!)

:party: How did I forget this one? Fuck LOTR this is the greatest Peter Jackson movie. This is another movie that small minded people called retarded.

evildeadjedi
01-31-2011, 08:08 PM
:party: How did I forget this one? Fuck LOTR this is the greatest Peter Jackson movie. This is another movie that small minded people called retarded.

:lol: Can't believe I put Robert Jordan oops.

I wouldn't go that far but, it's much easier to watch Dead Alive instead of all three LOTR films. :lol:

Love showing Dead Alive and EvilDead to people then telling them the directors later did LOTR Trilogy and Spiderman respectively.

Meet the Feebles, Heavenly Creatures and Bad Taste were fun too! :party:

Oh fuck I just thought of another....how could I forget HP Lovecraft's The Re-Animator!

Dextrimental
01-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead
Teas Chainsaw Massacer
Halloween
Braindead
Nightmare On Elm Street
Friday The 13th

ShatteredFlame
02-01-2011, 06:57 AM
The Shining
A Nightmare On Elmstreet
Halloween
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Tex Chainsaw Massacre 2
Dead Alive
Basket Case
Evil Dead 2
Paranormal Activity 2 (fuck the first movie, but this was the only time in the theaters where I was legit scared of something)
Brain Damage
Re-Animator
Bad Taste

btw for anyone who is interested in horror movies, I recommend checking out Cinemassacre's Monster Madness (2007 (http://www.cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/monster-madness-2007/), 2008 (http://www.cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/monster-madness-2008/), 2009 (http://www.cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/monster-madness-2009/), 2010 (http://www.cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/monster-madness-2010/))

BloodoftheKings
02-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Basket Case

:fist:

ShatteredFlame
02-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Cube

Dunno how I forgot this one. Even with poor acting, the concept freaked me out like no other movie. Cept maybe The Truman Show haha.

Pontypool - A damn good horror movie from 2009 that was sadly ignored.

InPatient5100
02-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Cube

Dunno how I forgot this one. Even with poor acting, the concept freaked me out like no other movie. Cept maybe The Truman Show haha.

That one was pretty good especially when Laura Liney got naked.

Epidemic Reign
02-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Cube

FUCK YES.

A lot of people gave Pontypool shit for being a "zombie" movie with very little blood/gore and action... but it has a killer atmosphere and A+ acting. Definitely one of my top 3 films of the last decade, with the other two being Repo! The Genetic Opera and Trick 'r Treat.

evildeadjedi
02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Cube

Good call Cube was a great film the sequel and prequel not so much but, they were all right.

jhdeity
02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
The Wicker Man? Seriously???? That was a fucking musical with 5 minutes of actual suspense! hahaha

I just watched Let Me In and I see why critics loved it. Safe to say the Agalloch/Alcest people will love it. People looking to be scared shitless won't.

LMI is very well made horror flick actually. I enjoyed Paranormal Activity 2 a little more. Also PA2 SMOKES the 1st one even though it starts off almost as slowly as the 1st one.

mastodon421
02-16-2011, 12:41 PM
The first Paranormal Activity was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I caved on the hype because so many people were talking about scary it was. It got good review so I figured what the hell. I watched it online and I felt like I had been ripped off.Yo Gabba Gabba is scarier than Paranormal Activity.

BloodoftheKings
02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Yo Gabba Gabba is scarier than Paranormal Activity.

Yo Gabba Gabba is scarier then most horror movies.

ShatteredFlame
02-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Trick 'r Treat.
Another great one!

Also I agree that Paranormal Activity was the biggest let down. But PA2 was one of the best experiences I have had in a movie theater, it ruled. I watched it on dvd but it didn't have the same effect unfortunately but I expected that, I will still always remember how great it was watching it in theaters. Hopefully PA3 is good now that I'm actually excited to see it.

jhdeity
02-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Another great one!

Also I agree that Paranormal Activity was the biggest let down. But PA2 was one of the best experiences I have had in a movie theater, it ruled. I watched it on dvd but it didn't have the same effect unfortunately but I expected that, I will still always remember how great it was watching it in theaters. Hopefully PA3 is good now that I'm actually excited to see it.

yeah, watching a movie like that on a pc will never work. It's all about totally delving into it. I think many peopel who didn't like PA would still love PA2. It's way better and just works better.

Epidemic Reign
02-17-2011, 04:47 PM
I just watched Let Me In and I see why critics loved it. Safe to say the Agalloch/Alcest people will love it. People looking to be scared shitless won't.

Have you seen the original Swedish version? The American version was very good, but IMO it feels a bit rushed and not as well paced as the Swedish version.

The book the films are based on is also excellent, if you enjoy a good read now and then.

jhdeity
02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Have you seen the original Swedish version? The American version was very good, but IMO it feels a bit rushed and not as well paced as the Swedish version.

The book the films are based on is also excellent, if you enjoy a good read now and then.

I'm not sure it was from 1973 though. It was really bad. I had pretty high expectations with the Maiden reference and people I thought knew movies recommending it but to put The Shining, The Exorcist and that movie in the same group is just nuts. It's not even a horror movie. It's like an Agatha Christie suspense/mystery/musical.

Epidemic Reign
02-18-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm not sure it was from 1973 though. It was really bad. I had pretty high expectations with the Maiden reference and people I thought knew movies recommending it but to put The Shining, The Exorcist and that movie in the same group is just nuts. It's not even a horror movie. It's like an Agatha Christie suspense/mystery/musical.

Oh no, there's certainly some confusion there with a different film. "Let Me In" the novel was only published in 2004, and the original Swedish film version was released in 2008.

Epidemic Reign
02-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Oh yes, also some useful information... if you decide to seek out the original Swedish film version of "Let Me In", you'll find the English-subtitled version under the title "Let the Right One In", which is the accurate translation of the original novel written in the Swedish language... "Låt den rätte komma in".

jhdeity
02-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Oh yes, also some useful information... if you decide to seek out the original Swedish film version of "Let Me In", you'll find the English-subtitled version under the title "Let the Right One In", which is the accurate translation of the original novel written in the Swedish language... "Låt den rätte komma in".

Sorry I was talking about The Wicker Man being from 1973. I was confused because I thought Wicker Man might actually be a decent book but was an absolutely terrible movie with horrific musical numbers whenever it started to get semi-interesting.

I liked Let Me In and watched the bonus footage that referenced the original Swedish movie. I'd definitely be interested in checking out that original.

hellawaits77ny
03-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Never really thought about, but here's my top 15 (in somewhat of an order):

1) Devil's Reject's
2) Halloween 2 (1982 version obviously)
3) Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers
4) Eden Lake - Not really horror, but I loved it. Definately worth checking out.
5) The Loved Ones (2009) - Hasn't been released in the US. Fuckin brutal!!
6) Mr. Brooks - Not really horror again, but a solid flick.
7) House of 1,000 Corpses
8) The Last House on The Left : Original version
9) Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
10) Saw VI
11) Psycho II
12) The Stepfather (Original obviously. Remake was awful)
13) The Poughkeepsie Tapes - Yep, go ahead and give me shit. I thought it was cool
14) Scream
15) Deadgirl

I'm sure I've forgotten some.

powerslave_85
03-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Sorry I was talking about The Wicker Man being from 1973. I was confused because I thought Wicker Man might actually be a decent book but was an absolutely terrible movie with horrific musical numbers whenever it started to get semi-interesting.

I liked Let Me In and watched the bonus footage that referenced the original Swedish movie. I'd definitely be interested in checking out that original.
The original is slightly better, but Let Me In is about as good as a remake can get. My only beef is that the music is a little over-dramatic.

Wizzbang11
04-22-2011, 11:00 AM
2) Halloween 2 (1982 version obviously)
9) Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
10) Saw VI
11) Psycho II
13) The Poughkeepsie Tapes - Yep, go ahead and give me shit. I thought it was cool

The amount of confused I am...

orlandodavis
04-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Anybody ever seen the French horror movies Martyrs, Them, and Inside? If you haven't then do.

PurpleHaze
08-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Begotten, Session 9, Stay Alive, Halloween, Hellraiser, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm probably forgetting a few though

John The Drummer
08-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Never really thought about, but here's my top 15 (in somewhat of an order):

I am so glad to see someone mention this. This movie was overlooked so much, but its by far one of, if not, my favorite in the Halloween series.

ShatteredFlame
08-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I think 5 is overlooked. That little girl was a good actress imo and gave the movie much tension.

Session 9

I watched this recently and it was fucking great! The only thing I would say wrong with it is that it it unappealing. It has a dull cast and boring locations so it would draw away many. But damn is it one intense film.

BloodoftheKings
08-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Can anybody recommend any good over the top gory movies like Brain Dead/Dead Alive?

ShatteredFlame
08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Can anybody recommend any good over the top gory movies like Brain Dead/Dead Alive?

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/asperity666/a_guide_to_the_best_troma_has_to_offer

BloodoftheKings
08-18-2011, 08:01 PM
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/asperity666/a_guide_to_the_best_troma_has_to_offer

I've seen all the Toxie movies. I've also seen nuke em' high but I didn't like it.

Epidemic Reign
08-19-2011, 12:46 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AT4NZ60QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Seen this? It's pretty awesome.

brutal_descent
08-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Nobody has mentioned Candy Man :hecho:

Epidemic Reign
08-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Tonight I watched Hobo With a Shotgun and George A. Romero's Deadtime Stories Vol. 1.

Hobo With a Shotgun is an excellent homage to old school grindhouse, vigilante justice films. Lots of over-the-top gore and violence. Rutger Hauer is great in his role as the hero, and the film's primary antagonist does a pretty decent job in a role that is clearly inspired by some of Dennis Hopper's classic characters. Do yourself a favor an watch this movie ASAP! :party:

Deadtime Stories, on the other hand, is a very disappointing anthology film. George Romero actually has virtually no involvement here aside from introducing the stories, and it's obvious that this was arranged just so that they could slap his name on it. Despite a couple of cool story ideas, they ultimately fall far short of their potential. I would not recommend this film to anyone.

BloodoftheKings
08-19-2011, 09:51 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AT4NZ60QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Seen this? It's pretty awesome.

WHERE IN THE FUCK IS MY BEAVER RAPE SCENE?

Epidemic Reign
08-21-2011, 12:46 AM
WHERE IN THE FUCK IS MY BEAVER RAPE SCENE?

FUCK YOU MAN!!!! CLOSE THE DOOR, YOU NAZI... OR YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!!!

haha. shit is so criminally underrated.

Dextrimental
08-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Most recently checked out Outpost, decent Nazi Zombie horror. Plan to check out Hobo With A Shotgun soon enough, plus catch up on more classics.

BloodoftheKings
08-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Most recently checked out Outpost, decent Nazi Zombie horror. Plan to check out Hobo With A Shotgun soon enough, plus catch up on more classics.

Watch Hobo With A Shotgun ASAP. You won't regret it.

Epidemic Reign
08-23-2011, 07:29 AM
I want to see Chromeskull: Laid to Rest 2. The gore effects in the first one were pretty sick, and I hear they upped the violence quite a bit for the sequel.

HandOfDoom
08-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Anybody ever seen the French horror movies Martyrs, Them, and Inside? If you haven't then do.

THIS. The french are quickly becoming the masters of horror; Martyrs, Inside, Them, High Tension, The Horde, Frontier(s), Irreversible( more of a drama, but a real mindfuck), Sheitan, In My Skin(was eating while watching; BIG mistake).

Other films foreign and local; REC & REC 2, The Descent, Session 9, Texax Chainsaw Massacre(1974), Evil Dead Series , Insidious, The Vanishing (Spoorloos, f@#$ the remake), Jacobs Ladder , 28 Days Later , The Human Centipede.

Natrlhi
08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
THIS. The french are quickly becoming the masters of horror; Martyrs, Inside, Them, High Tension, The Horde, Frontier(s), Irreversible (more of a drama, but a real mindfuck), Sheitan, In My Skin (was eating while watching; BIG mistake).:drool: :lovedup: :bowdown:

Dextrimental
08-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Watched Pulse last night, absolutely dirt. Great idea, poorly executed, I got it for free and felt like I overpaid.

Hobo With A Shotgun tonight, DVD night with some good buddies!

HandOfDoom
08-24-2011, 01:59 PM
:drool: :lovedup: :bowdown:

It bothers me how people put down the ending; that it ruined the movie and was a last minute idea. The first time I saw it the ending really tripped me out and in the end, I found it to be more effective than a typical slasher movie ending, in which we find that the killer has magically survived in the last frame of the movie.

HandOfDoom
08-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Watched Pulse last night, absolutely dirt. Great idea, poorly executed, I got it for free and felt like I overpaid.

Have you seen the 2001 Japanese film Kairo, which Pulse is based on?

Dextrimental
08-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Have you seen the 2001 Japanese film Kairo, which Pulse is based on?

No, but I'd put safe money on it being very good, as Ringu and The Grudge were both stellar compared to the average American counter-parts.

Seen Hobo With A Shotgun tonight, amazing altogether, serious fun!

NICAfiend
08-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Just a few I haven't seen mentioned on here alot: Black Water (one of the scariest creature/animal movies), Borderland :flame:, IT, Inside, 1408, The Orphanage (killer ghost flick), Xmas Tale and To Let (from the Films to Keep You Awake collection) and Frozen.

Mental Pain
11-03-2012, 05:44 AM
Let the Right One In
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Bride of Chucky
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Frankenstein (1931)

dcmetal108
11-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Bride Of Chucky, odd choice personally.

Even being a diehard horror movie fan I can still never truly get into the Chucky films.

BloodoftheKings
11-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Even being a diehard horror movie fan I can still never truly get into the Chucky films.

You'er not supposed to get into them. Only the first 2 are even decent. Bride and Seed of Chucky are a little amusing because they're so stupid.

Dextrimental
11-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Chucky and Pinhead are both on the same level for me. Horror legends and cool ideas, and oidols at this stage, but they each have maybe 2 movies apiece that are actually any good. Hellraiser series is beyond awful at parts!

BloodoftheKings
11-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Chucky and Pinhead are both on the same level for me. Horror legends and cool ideas, and oidols at this stage, but they each have maybe 2 movies apiece that are actually any good. Hellraiser series is beyond awful at parts!

The first Hellraiser is a classic and the 2nd one is decent but yeah, the rest are god awful.

Dextrimental
11-05-2012, 01:51 PM
The first Hellraiser is a classic and the 2nd one is decent but yeah, the rest are god awful.

There's another one or two that are good within the series, but only really okay. It sucks because Pinhead has probably the most overall horror potential!

dcmetal108
11-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Other than Chucky being a horror icon I could never really even get into the first film. Never clicked with me.

John The Drummer
11-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Teeth is the scariest movie ever!

dcmetal108
11-05-2012, 04:46 PM

hahahah that movies awesome.

kalfitegrdan
11-06-2012, 03:30 AM

That movie makes my penis hurt. :(

dcmetal108
11-06-2012, 06:27 AM
That movie makes my penis hurt. :(

:lol:

They should make kids in middle school watch that during sex ed. That will scare them away.