PDA

View Full Version : 70,000 Tons of Metal -- Miami, FL/Cozumel, Mexico -- January 24th-28th, 2011

Derelict
01-31-2011, 11:30 AM
This won't contain any setlists, this is more of a review/random observations thread, so if the mods wish to move it, that is fine.

Well, after months of waiting, the day finally arrived. We flew down to Miami Monday morning at the buttcrack of dawn. We had a couple hours to kill before we could check in, so we took our talents to south beach and had breakfast at an outdoor cafe on the beach and oogled women. There were a lot of people wandering around in metal shirts, we all definitely stuck out.

We finally make it over to the ferry terminal, and the line to check in looked like a metal show. The bands had to check in with the fans, so it was funny to look over and see a band like Destruction having to wait in line with the rest of us. After boarding and getting situation, pretty much everyone went to the pool deck. Most of the bands that i recognized were all hanging out, mingling, and drinking. The friend we were hanging out with is friends with a few bands, so we were hanging on the deck with the singer from Primordial and a couple of the guys from Finntroll, hearing tour stories, etc. Set a pretty good tone for what was to come. A couple young ladies looking for attention decided to hit the hot tub in front of everyone - there were no complaints.

There were three stages on the boat - the outdoor pool deck (my favorite - you could sit in a pool or hot tub and watch bands), the main stage (which was like a normal club), and the lounge stage (which had a pink curtain and flowers behind it, decidedly not grim). There was one band playing in doors at all times. We left Miami a little late on Monday night (around 6PM), as they were still filling in one of the pools/building the outdoor stage. Bands started almost as soon as we left.

Now to the random observations:
-the karaoke bar was almost as fun as the bands. It was supposed to run from midnight-4am, but it ran extremely late every night. We left that bar at 830AM Thursday morning, and it was still going pretty strong. Tons of guys from all the bands were hanging out, drinking, doing karaoke, and everyone was more than willing to chat and pose for pictures. Off the top of my head we saw members of Tyr, Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Testament, Fear Factory, Exodus, Nevermore, Primodial, Circle 2 Circle, Iced Earth all get up and sing. I know there's been a few videos posted on youtube.

-hearing two of the guys from Marduk at the bar joking about which Dokken song to do on Karaoke, then belt out a few lines. Later, they played in front of the pink curtain, which didnt mix with corpse paint.

-looking around at breakfast and seeing random people like Chuck Billy or Moonspell waiting in line with you

-both the quantity and quality of the females on board was very impressive

-my buddy got up and did "livin la vida loca" on karaoke in front of Burton Bell and Johan Hegg - Johan shook his head and busted out laughing

-was cool seeing guys from bands checking out the other bands on board, like the guitarist from blind guardian going up front for Sanctuary

-Moonspell busted out Wolfheart almost in its entirety (they didnt do erotic alchemy)

-more than half of the bands said "i'm on a boat" from the stage

-seeing the bathory covers by the pool on a sunny day was crazy - the singer said it was both surreal and absurd

-the singer from dark tranquillity telling me my clutch hoodie was awesome

-the last night was pretty chilly and windy. Bands were using mist on the outdoor stage, which was blowing around, and looked so metal. Amon Amarth was the last band to play outside, it may have been the most metal hour and 15 minutes of my life.

-we had about 8 hours port time in Mexico. the Mayan ruins were pretty neat, and it was funny seeing half the people there were black t shirts. Dominated some burritos too.

-we were told by the staff that there was more alcohol consumed on the first day than they sell on most full cruises. They were out of a lot of beer by the end.

Sorry i don't have more info, there's a lot I'm forgetting to write. It's hard to explain exactly how awesome and surreal this was. I'm hearing they are doing it again next year, I can't recommend it strongly enough for anyone who wants to go. I have some pics posted on my facebook if anyone wants to look (friend me if you want to comment on any of them)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=276654&id=548848421&l=bdfc5ffc6b

larvtard
01-31-2011, 11:35 AM
-we were told by the staff that there was more alcohol consumed on the first day than they sell on most full cruises. They were out of a lot of beer by the end.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=276654&id=548848421&l=bdfc5ffc6b

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Those metalheads and their beer :tp:

Derelict
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Those metalheads and their beer :tp:

There was a ton of drinking, I didn't see any property destruction, fighting or puking though. All in all everyone behaved themselves extremely well, which i think would be a good sign for having this again.

rjturtle9
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Sounds amazing. Like absolutely amazing! I'm gonna try my hardest to get on this the next time it happens. Hopefully the line up is as good as this one, hell, even half as good would be fine for me.

Sepultura69
01-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Did you manage to catch Testament play Both albums on both nights....or did they play both albums on one night:confused:

I would assume two different nights...either way, hope you had a great time man :rocker:

And Bathory covers are always nice........by the....pool?:rocker::confused::hecho:

makethemsuffer12
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
I hate you. :bouville:

But that sounded like an awesome fucking time. If they try to do it next year it would be pretty damn hard to top this year.

Derelict
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Here's the shirt I got

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/5136/shirt2kf.th.jpg (http://img710.imageshack.us/i/shirt2kf.jpg/)

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9789/shirtth.th.jpg (http://img593.imageshack.us/i/shirtth.jpg/)

TonyD
01-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. I'm glad someone on this board has and established career and can afford things like this :lol:

IrritatedTrout
01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Sounds awesome, how many bands did you watch?

RAZOR
01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
That sounds amazing. :D

jhdeity
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Cool review man. Definitely need to add that to the ole' bucket list. Bad ass Carnivore shirt too.

300%_Density
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
If all goes well w/ graduating school in the summer/fall I am guranteed this will be my graduation present. Hope to god it comes back next year!!!!

Derelict
01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Sounds awesome, how many bands did you watch?

Everyone played twice, I'd say I saw at least 20-25 once.

ImmortalEmperor
01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
It's hard to explain exactly how awesome and surreal this was. I'm hearing they are doing it again next year, I can't recommend it strongly enough for anyone who wants to go.

+1 - very highly recommended

Here are the setlists for Saxon & Raven:

Saxon (01/25):

2320 - 0035

01. Motorcycle Man
02. Stand Up and Be Counted
03. See the Light Shining
04. Suzie Hold On
05. Street Fighting Gang
06. 747 (Strangers in the Night)
07. Machine Gun
08. Freeway Mad
09. Wheels of Steel
10. Dogs of War
11. Solid Ball of Rock
12. Demon Sweeney Todd
13. Crusader
14. Power and the Glory
15. And the Bands Played On

Saxon (01/26):

2315 - 0020

01. Heavy Metal Thunder
02. To Hell and Back Again
03. Strong Arm of the Law
04. Metalhead
05. The Thin Red Line
06. Taking Your Chances
07. Sixth Form Girls
08. Hungry Years
09. Dallas 1 P.M.
10. 20,000 Ft
11. Denim and Leather (Dedicated to RJD)
12. Princess of the Night

Biff was on the tour of the Mayan ruins. I asked him if they could play "Sailing to America" (seemed appropriate) that night but he said they hadn't rehearsed it - nice to get the "Wheels of Steel" and "Strong Arm of the Law" albums in full...

Raven (01/26)

0330 - 0420

01. Take Control
02. Live at the Inferno
03. All for One
04. Breaking You Down
05. Rock Until You Drop
06. Speed of the Reflex
07. Mind Over Metal
08. Break the Chain (including classic rock medley)
09. Crash Bang Wallop!

Raven (01/27)

1530 - 1620

01. Take Control
02. For the Future
03. Lambs to the Slaughter
04. The Bulldozer
05. Rock Until You Drop
06. Speed of the Reflex
07. Mind Over Metal
08. On and On
09. Break the Chain (including classic rock medley)

Good times...

jhdeity
01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Saxon = EPIC!

Raven - Where is Into the Jaws of Death or any of the great songs off Nothing Exceeds like Excess?

JuuKun
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Moonspell busted out Wolfheart almost in its entirety (they didnt do erotic alchemy)

:mad: I would love to see them play Love Crimes or Of Dreams and Drama.

treghet
01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Sounds awesome. I wish I was able to go. I like about 3/4s of the bands, soooo... :finger:

Maiden33
01-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Fucking Saxon. Play more newer shit. For a band that's 32 years into their career, they're still releasing awesome shit and have been for years, but lately they've really been ignoring most of it.

Dextrimental
01-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Looked fucking awesome, Metalsucks.net were there too, and they reported on how well behaved everyone was, and how downright smoothly the whole thing went. I would imagine the amount of alcohol consumed would actually up the chances of this happening again, I mean the company who own the cruise ship must have made an absolute killing. If I manage to get a job for the Summer, I am saving up to go to this, with a cheaper cabin I should be able to manage it!

treghet
01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
If you do that, make sure to get a cabin early. The cheap ones went pretty quick.

PowerMaiden
01-31-2011, 03:03 PM
awesome !!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Kapper
01-31-2011, 03:28 PM
so jealous man, so so so so so jealous :drool:

Northern_Shaman
01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Goddamn. I would have gone to this just for the bands alone. Haven't seen a lineup that awesome in a while. I say that I'll go to this eventually but I don't think they can beat this year's roster very easily...

slayerizer
01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
damn! I'm jealous! How much was the booze on board? Let's say a bottle of beer? And was the food included in the price?

evildeadjedi
01-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Very bad ass and way to represent the Clutch hoodie! :horns:

Metal375
01-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Awesome review and FB pics! Would have loved to go - too bad things like time and money get in the way :mad:

JRA
01-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Did either of you see Gamma Ray/ get their setlist?

Derelict
01-31-2011, 06:25 PM
damn! I'm jealous! How much was the booze on board? Let's say a bottle of beer? And was the food included in the price?

Most of the food was included in the price, you had to pay $5 or something to go to the johnny rockets on the ship. I, believe it or not, didn't drink on board, but i think beers were $6-7 bucks a bottle.

I didn't see Gamma Ray.

Dextrimental
01-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Most of the food was included in the price, you had to pay $5 or something to go to the johnny rockets on the ship. I, believe it or not, didn't drink on board, but i think beers were $6-7 bucks a bottle.

I didn't see Gamma Ray.

Would you say the trip is worth the cost? Not including the line up, but the overall package.

DethMaiden
01-31-2011, 06:41 PM
I, believe it or not, didn't drink on board, but i think beers were $6-7 bucks a bottle.

I'm gonna go with not.

Explain yo'self.

Derelict
01-31-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm gonna go with not.

Explain yo'self.

I didn't trust myself to drink on here, with no last call, bars open 24/7, not having to hand cash over, not having to worry about driving, ie, all the things that normally would keep me under control. I have enough concerts i dont remember, i didnt need another one.

To dextrimental, i couldnt recommend this strongly enough

DethMaiden
01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Fair enough. You're definitely a better man than I most likely would be if I had the chance to go on the cruise. :lol: Glad you had a great time though, man. Maybe I'll head down on one of these with you one of these years.

Derelict
01-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Fair enough. You're definitely a better man than I most likely would be if I had the chance to go on the cruise. :lol: Glad you had a great time though, man. Maybe I'll head down on one of these with you one of these years.

Awesome, gonna try to go again next year.

And if i had done this last year, they'd be scraping me off a wall in Mexico, believe me.

BlashyrkhMR101
01-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey did Alan or any of the other guys in TotG mention doing any other tours/shows with the band?

bobbie solo
01-31-2011, 08:05 PM
thank you for breaking this down. I wanted to go really bad. I hate cruises b/c of how little time you generally have at the islands the ship stops at, but this is an entirely diff. scenario. Solid lineup. I think my wife would divorce me however.

Dextrimental
01-31-2011, 08:27 PM
I didn't trust myself to drink on here, with no last call, bars open 24/7, not having to hand cash over, not having to worry about driving, ie, all the things that normally would keep me under control. I have enough concerts i dont remember, i didnt need another one.

To dextrimental, i couldnt recommend this strongly enough

Sweet, gonna attepmt to make this happen if I can. Also, not having to hand cash over? What do you mean?

elturtleboy
01-31-2011, 09:40 PM
:wow::wow:

Derelict
02-01-2011, 05:31 AM
Sweet, gonna attepmt to make this happen if I can. Also, not having to hand cash over? What do you mean?

You set up an expense account for use on the ship, so youre not using cash at all...even the t shirts at the merch stand were on the account.

Sanitarium78
02-01-2011, 06:09 AM
Sounds like an awesome time. I understand why you didn't drink at all during this because it's deffinitely something you wanna remember forever. Plus, if you had too much to drink it could've been "man overboard" and that rarely ends well.

rjturtle9
02-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Sounds like an awesome time. I understand why you didn't drink at all during this because it's deffinitely something you wanna remember forever. Plus, if you had too much to drink it could've been "man overboard" and that rarely ends well.

You never know. Maybe he would have fell in love with an artist that paints him naked.

Sanitarium78
02-01-2011, 06:33 AM
You never know. Maybe he would have fell in love with an artist that paints him naked.

:lol::lol:

ravenheart
02-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Everyone started saving for next year yet?

We are all going, don't forget. No excuses.

rjturtle9
02-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Everyone started saving for next year yet?

We are all going, don't forget. No excuses.

Count me in!

I consider missing this the first and probably biggest fail of 2011.

The_jman
02-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Anyone have more setlists?

DisposableJustice
02-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Awesome review glad you had a great time; this is a very rare kind of event and it sounds like they pulled it off perfectly; I might strongly think about doing this one day

Natrlhi
02-01-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm glad someone on this board has and established career and can afford things like this :lol::lol: It's not always about the money, though. I could have found a way to afford it, but...

thank you for breaking this down. I wanted to go really bad. I hate cruises b/c of how little time you generally have at the islands the ship stops at, but this is an entirely diff. scenario. Solid lineup. I think my wife would divorce me however....this. :( :nag:

Natrlhi
02-01-2011, 09:36 AM
We are all going, don't forget. No excuses.Talk to my real boss and tell her my unofficial boss says I can go. We'll see if that works. :tongue:

rjturtle9
02-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Talk to my real boss and tell her my unofficial boss says I can go. We'll see if that works. :tongue:

What's her number? I'll see what I can do.

jhdeity
02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
How was Sodom? Did they play twice?

Natrlhi
02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
What's her number? I'll see what I can do.:lol: I should post her e-mail address right here. You can all spam her from now until doomsday. That should do it.

The_jman
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
:lol: I should post her e-mail address right here. You can all spam her from now until doomsday. That should do it.
as long as we can tell her you told us to spam her.

mastodon421
02-01-2011, 10:42 AM
This sound like an amazing time, I really hope I can go to one someday. This would be beyond amazing.

Pastulio_
02-01-2011, 10:59 AM
My dad and cousin are interested in doing this next year, so hopefully I'll see you all there! Hope the line kicks just as much ass next year!

powerslave_85
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
You set up an expense account for use on the ship, so youre not using cash at all...even the t shirts at the merch stand were on the account.
Oh Jesus. Yeah, I think you made the right call. That shit could get out of hand in a hurry.

larvtard
02-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I'd love to go to one of these, it would be an amazing experience. My problem was the lineup, though. I love thrash metal, which was well represented, but there were only a couple death/black bands. Most of the bands were classic/progressive/power metal. (Which makes sense, because the agegroup most likely to go on a metal cruise is not the same agegroup most likely to be extreme metal fans.)

Natrlhi
02-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Oh Jesus. Yeah, I think you made the right call. That shit could get out of hand in a hurry.That's the way it is on most cruises. It's one of the many ways they get you. Trust me - you usually end up paying at least twice as much as the advertised price for any cruise when all's said and done, unless you're hip to their shenanigans and make wise choices like ol' Derelict here. :fist:

Derelict
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Honestly, even more than the $$$, i know i would have been completely out of hand and missed at least half of the cruise had i been drinking. Gotta know yourself.

masterguy49
02-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm going to save up for this shit next year, especially considering I'm less than a hour away from Miami. Regardless, is there a age limit for the ship?

Derelict
02-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm going to save up for this shit next year, especially considering I'm less than a hour away from Miami. Regardless, is there a age limit for the ship?

You had to be 21 to book your own cabin, but i think you could go with someone who was over 21.

ImmortalEmperor
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Did either of you see Gamma Ray/ get their setlist?

I didn't see Gamma Ray either

Sanitarium78
02-01-2011, 12:06 PM
For anyone wondering about setlists:

http://www.70000tons.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1206&sid=5b008b95324ed209edcb1bb31dca1002

ImmortalEmperor
02-01-2011, 12:08 PM
How was Sodom? Did they play twice?

Pretty good - and yes, every band played twice. Usually for the smaller (less popular) bands, one set was in the middle of the night and the other was either afternoon or evening.

maidenpriest
02-01-2011, 12:16 PM
getting these off setlist.fm, i didnt see this on the link posted above.

Amon Amarth

Twilight of the Thunder God
Free Will Sacrifice
Runes to my Memory
The Beheading of a King
Valhall Awaits Me
The Hero
Asator
The Fate of Norns
Thousand Years of Oppression
Live for the Kill
Death in Fire
Victorious March
The Pursuit of Vikings

Iced Earth

In Sacred Flames
Behold the Wicked Child
Vengeance is Mine
Ten Thousand Strong
I Died for You
Dracula
Prophecy
Birth of the Wicked
The Coming Curse
--------------------
Watching Over Me
Iced Earth

Testament

Eerie Inhabitants
The New Order
Trial By Fire
Into the Pit
Hynopsis
Disciples of the Watch
The Preacher
Nobody's Fault
A Day of Reckoning
DNR
3 Days in Darkness
Musical Death (A Dirge)

orlandodavis
02-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Here is the link for set times. http://www.metalstorm.net/events/event.php?event_id=43542&page=&message_id=

Derelict
02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Only cause i remember it off the top of my head

Moonspell (first set)

Wolfshade
Love Crimes
Midnight Ride
Lua D'Inverno
Trebraruna
Vampiria
Alma Mater
Opium
Full Moon Madness

rjturtle9
02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
For anyone wondering about setlists:

http://www.70000tons.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1206&sid=5b008b95324ed209edcb1bb31dca1002

:drool: @ Blind Guardian and Sonata sets. They played every song I would ever want to hear from them, and more!

Derelict
02-02-2011, 12:00 PM
:drool: @ Blind Guardian and Sonata sets. They played every song I would ever want to hear from them, and more!

I didn't see it personally (but i did see pictures on someone's phone), but two fine looking young ladies seeking attention in the hot tub during Sonata were able to garner extra attention, with each other.

rjturtle9
02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
I didn't see it personally (but i did see pictures on someone's phone), but two fine looking young ladies seeking attention in the hot tub during Sonata were able to garner extra attention, with each other.

I need to go to this! I will join them in the tub.

AnglOvDeth
02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
A little late to this thread but yes, it was epic, to say the least.
Pics here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=102147&id=1535903967&l=0fc9708d54
:rocker: :party: :allan: :light:

greenReaper
02-02-2011, 03:55 PM
This trip was too legendary to even put into words. All food was free (except johnny rockets). Beer was $30 for a bucket of 6. But...I snuck 4 32oz flasks of liquor on board...so needless to say I always had a coke in my hand.

The bands were hanging out with all the fans, drinking, taking shots, etc. I slept through mexico because I was chillin with Malevolent Creation until 9am...

I'm not a big power metal fan either but it was actual nice having a few bands I did not want to see so I could go eat, refill my flask, etc.

Now to the concerts....The outdoor stage near the pool was by far the best. I saw Nevermore, Exodus, Fear Factory, Forbidden, Death Angel, Testament, Swashbuckle, Sanctuary, Cripper, Amon Amarth, Marduk, Obituary, Tyr, and Korplikanni there just to name a few. Ever single band was amazing but the energy for Amon Amarth was unheard of. I got pictures with every single band member I wanted...:rocker:

Indoors I saw Arsis, Unleashed, Saxon, The Absence, Fear Factory, Amon Amarth, Exodus, Obituary, Korplikanni, Finntroll, Malevolent Creation, Marduk, Destruction, Sodom, and many others. The pits were amazing, making history by having the first wall of death for Testament...fucking everything about the trip was perfect.

Anyone who was slightly interested in this needs to go. Best 5 days of my life. Ended up getting sick after lol probably from the high quantities of alcohol consumed but shit so what. Even got a few bands numbers so when they come to my town we can drink. Trip was unreal.

Derelict
02-02-2011, 04:38 PM
^^^ I recorded some of amon amarth on the pool stage, it was very hard to describe - definitely my highlight of the trip