PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 Don't Believe the Hype Award goes to:

jhdeity
01-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Black Swan. I finally saw it and took 2 girls. They both thought it was terrible. Too boring and predictable they said. I can appreciate great acting and Natalie Portman was incredible in the movie but as a whole, 60% of the movie was drawn out and uninteresting unless you like ballet.

Personally from the club scene on I enjoyed it but I can now proclaim Shutter Island as my favorite movie of 2010 and not feel like I was missing something. Great acting but would have a hard time making my Top 3. Prob Top 5 though.

That being said Mila Kunis is fire and the Natalie "banjo" scene was awesome. I've never known a girl to do it like that and had to interrogate both girls on the ride home. Whenever I find out a girl has seen that movie my next question will definitely be to inquire about that scene. hahaha

Nick_to_the_face
01-31-2011, 07:29 AM
I've heard good things about it, i almost took my girlfriend to see it but the times were off so we saw little Fockers instead :lol:

jhdeity
01-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Yeah I wanted to see The Mechanic but with so many people recommending Black Swan I agreed to take one for the team. Serioulsly it's a really good movie but you can't have an hour of ballet and not be considered a chick flick. Plus I don't get all the speculation. It was cut and dry to me. Maybe a 2nd watch at home when it comes out on dvd might help but I need way more mental stimulation that that movie offered. I can see why some people loved it but I can also see why people would think it was boring and predictable. Who didn't know the "Little Princess" was coming? hahaha

ChildrenofSodom
01-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Woah. Wait.

You took 2 girls to see it? Tell me more.

jhdeity
01-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Woah. Wait.

You took 2 girls to see it? Tell me more.

My gf and my ex. My ex was in the movie Species 2. It's funny because she was actually recognized at the movies before since the directors cut has a full 2 min scene of her dancing topless before she got killed off.

I'm still friends with most of my ex's and this one cuts my hair so she just comes to the house and doesn't charge us. She actually said The Green Hornet was better than Black Swan so now I have to go see it just to have a debate with her. If it's better I'd be shocked but my expectations were so high for Black Swan that I should have known it would let me down.

evildeadjedi
01-31-2011, 03:01 PM
I think Brad's head just exploded.

BloodoftheKings
01-31-2011, 03:04 PM
I thought this was gonna be something about Public Enemy. :hmm:

DethMaiden
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
I think Brad's head just exploded.

To each his own.

But yes. :bouville:

jhdeity
01-31-2011, 07:22 PM
To each his own.

But yes. :bouville:

I forgot that was your #1 movie. If it wasn't a solid hour of ballet I could understand but I just can't.

I needed more of those "Scooby Doo" type reveals or something. I was really hoping for that "mindfuck" moment but never got it either.

Great acting across the board though...

jhdeity
01-31-2011, 07:26 PM
I thought this was gonna be something about Public Enemy. :hmm:

I don't even know what Public Enemy is. Unless you mean Publie Enemies which was my most overrated movie of 2009. Once again, my Dad would like it but it bored me to tears.

To each his own though. I know people who love that movie too.

evildeadjedi
01-31-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't even know what Public Enemy is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK8sxngSWaU

Indestructible
01-31-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't even know what Public Enemy is.
The 80's rap group. Real rap with actual thought to the lyrics. Chuck D, Flavor Flav.

jhdeity
01-31-2011, 08:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK8sxngSWaU

hahahaha. oh ok. That went over my head like a G6.

I threw a bunch of their music on my ipod but always choose something else. I'll get into them one day...

evildeadjedi
01-31-2011, 08:44 PM
hahahaha. oh ok. That went over my head like a G6.

I threw a bunch of their music on my ipod but always choose something else. I'll get into them one day...

No worries man and definitely check out "It takes a nation of million to hold us back" and "Fear of a Black Planet" two of the best hip hop albums of all time in my opinion.

"She Watch Channel Zero?!" has a very familiar sample used in it. :horns:

Indestructible
01-31-2011, 09:07 PM
No worries man and definitely check out "It takes a nation of million to hold us back" and "Fear of a Black Planet" two of the best hip hop albums of all time in my opinion.

"She Watch Channel Zero?!" has a very familiar sample used in it. :horns:

Don't forget Apocalypse 91... The Enemy Strikes Black, my favorite from PE

mastodon421
02-01-2011, 04:17 AM
I have a feeling that my Don't Believe Hype award will go to The Social Network once I see it.

DethMaiden
02-01-2011, 04:46 AM
I have a feeling that my Don't Believe Hype award will go to The Social Network once I see it.

Bingo.

jhdeity
02-01-2011, 04:56 AM

Yeah I was thinking that also. I forgot that as the last one I wanted to see along with Let Me In. The critics and people on Rotten Tomatoes voted Let Me In higher than any other horror flick I saw last year. The trailer did't pique my interest much so I'll be curious to see.

Nick_to_the_face
02-03-2011, 09:16 PM
I forgot that was your #1 movie. If it wasn't a solid hour of ballet I could understand but I just can't.

I needed more of those "Scooby Doo" type reveals or something. I was really hoping for that "mindfuck" moment but never got it either.

Great acting across the board though...

So I finally saw it. It was cool. I liked it, but I was sitting there to waiting to be mind fucked but it didn't happen. From the way everyone talked I expected to be blown away and my little brother made a huge deal on the masturbation scene. But what do you expect from a 14 year old :lol:

InPatient5100
02-03-2011, 09:46 PM

Oh, it surely will.

ravenheart
02-04-2011, 03:12 AM
The 80's rap group. Real rap with actual thought to the lyrics. Chuck D, Flavor Flav.

But no thought to their names, apparently.

jhdeity
02-04-2011, 07:13 AM
I saw Social Network last night. Interesting movie but yeah....

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

I'm actually wondering even though I've seen The Roommate before (Single White Female) that I wouldn't enjoy it more than Black Swan...

evildeadjedi
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Don't forget Apocalypse 91... The Enemy Strikes Black, my favorite from PE

It is a fine a album and it was one of my first cd's.

Natrlhi
02-04-2011, 11:29 AM
But no thought to their names, apparently.I love Public Enemy, but I still gotta admit this made me :lol:.

Oh, you.

Indestructible
02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
But no thought to their names, apparently.

There's thought in some of their names.
Speaking of Public Enemy does anyone know if they plan to release new music in the near future, cause the todays world needs real rap.

Indestructible
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
It is a fine a album and it was one of my first cd's.
A fine album indeed

Does anyone know if there are copies of Apocalypse 91 with an uncensored version of Get the fuck Outta Dodge? A censored song on a Public enemy album, i guess that's the definition of irony.

powerslave_85
02-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I have no fucking clue why everyone loves The Social Network. I was overwhelmingly underwhelmed.

jhdeity
02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I have no fucking clue why everyone loves The Social Network. I was overwhelmingly underwhelmed.

I was looking at the Oscar nominees and Social Network is nominated for Best Cinematography.

No seriously, it was. I know I can't stop laughing either. How fucking stupid is that?

Just when you think these Award ceremonies have their shit straight, Jethro Tull rears it's ugly head.

Div
02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I wouldnt give it any awards, but on a personal level I found Social Network to be very inspiring. Maybe its because im a computer guy, but the way Zuckerberg just made a website on his own that became one of the biggest sites ever and then was able to just ball out for the rest of his life... kind of appeals to me, not to mention relating to the character by his awkward, jaded social behavior, reclusiveness and curly brown hair... :lol:

zgodt
08-02-2011, 08:53 PM
There's thought in some of their names.
Speaking of Public Enemy does anyone know if they plan to release new music in the near future, cause the todays world needs real rap.

There's so much real rap out there that I don't know what to say.

Except this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSM6Ovs7HTc&feature=related

powerslave_85
08-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I finally saw Black Swan the other night and I too found it extremely disappointing.

ShatteredFlame
08-02-2011, 09:23 PM
There's so much real rap out there that I don't know what to say.

Except this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSM6Ovs7HTc&feature=related

Fuck yeah that album is great. :party: