PDA

View Full Version : JUDAS PRIEST writing new material

ravenheart
01-27-2011, 06:34 AM
http://judaspriest.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=AD52821D-58A3-4232-9642-41DABA7BB8CD

"The guys are working together on writing new material - all is going really well - more details later!"

christopher
01-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Why? They're just going to break up in the next year anyways, right? We don't want to hear new material in the final tour..

ravenheart
01-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Why? They're just going to break up in the next year anyways, right? We don't want to hear new material in the final tour..

Erm, I do. I really don't want a boring greatest hits set. But I still don't think they'll play any new songs.

And making a new album is always worthwhile. They've also previously indicated, in the same way that Scorpions did, that they would carry on making albums after their retire from touring. I hope they do.

IrritatedTrout
01-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Nice, I didn't want Nostradamus to be their final album.

AnthG
01-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Can't be any worse than Nostradamus. Even if we get something along the lines of Angel of Retribution i'll be satisfied.

christopher
01-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Erm, I do. I really don't want a boring greatest hits set. But I still don't think they'll play any new songs.

And making a new album is always worthwhile. They've also previously indicated, in the same way that Scorpions did, that they would carry on making albums after their retire from touring. I hope they do.

I thought they were breaking up? So they're just going to stop touring and still continue as an active band? That's retarded. I was hoping for an awesome set with 70s material for the final tour

ravenheart
01-27-2011, 10:23 AM
That's retarded

No it isn't. The guys are in their 60s. It makes perfect sense.

Dextrimental
01-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Glenn Tipton stated on his website this would be their last major world tour. They do intend to still play concerts and write and release records, its just they can't tour for 9 months at a time anymore. It makes sense, I say more power to them. They have given us all so much over the last 40 years, they are entitled to take it easy.

elturtleboy
01-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I thought they were breaking up? So they're just going to stop touring and still continue as an active band? That's retarded. I was hoping for an awesome set with 70s material for the final tour

im with u on this buddy

electrocute1031
01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Awesome. I can't wait to hear some new Priest.

MPF
01-27-2011, 11:33 AM

THIS!

Travis The Dragon
01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I absolutely love their last 2 albums and can't wait to hear what they come up with next! :rocker:

DethMaiden
01-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Well, sign me up for the "I liked Nostradamus, am mildly interested in a new Priest record, and would prefer if the farewell setlist was a career retrospective with no more than a couple songs from the new one regardless of how good it is" camp.

TonyD
01-27-2011, 03:11 PM

This. They should step it up if it might end up being their last album.

SomewhereInTime72
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Well, sign me up for the "I liked Nostradamus, am mildly interested in a new Priest record, and would prefer if the farewell setlist was a career retrospective with no more than a couple songs from the new one regardless of how good it is" camp.

This is me exactly.

ravenheart
01-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Farewell tour setlists of rarities no one knows, please!

Nick_to_the_face
01-28-2011, 07:02 AM

Hahaha, yes

ravenheart
01-28-2011, 07:10 AM
Hahaha, yes

I'm actually serious, I would much rather that than a set of obvious hits.

I know which one they're more l likely to do though!

cradle_of_maiden
01-28-2011, 08:01 AM
They will probably just be doing festivals and mini tours from now on. Although, I would give my kidney to see a Maiden/Priest co-headlining tour. Anyone know who's opening for Maiden on the next leg?

ravenheart
01-28-2011, 08:04 AM
They will probably just be doing festivals and mini tours from now on. Although, I would give my kidney to see a Maiden/Priest co-headlining tour. Anyone know who's opening for Maiden on the next leg?

A Maiden/Priest tour would never be co-headlining. It would always be Priest as special guests.

No idea on Maiden's support. Nothing's been said, although I strongly suspect the support for the couple of US shows will be very different to the UK and European legs. I even expect the UK ones to be different to the rest of Europe.

Nick_to_the_face
01-28-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm actually serious, I would much rather that than a set of obvious hits.

I know which one they're more l likely to do though!

So many people would be pissed. I don't think i would be one of them. As long as they threw a few of the hits. See when I saw them they did the hits, but actually left out a few. Shit even my dad was like "what the fuck?"

they need to play Between the Hammer and the Anvil for sure :D

ravenheart
01-28-2011, 08:25 AM
So many people would be pissed. I don't think i would be one of them. As long as they threw a few of the hits. See when I saw them they did the hits, but actually left out a few. Shit even my dad was like "what the fuck?"

they need to play Between the Hammer and the Anvil for sure :D

They played that last time.

I like when bands leave out obvious songs. Obvious is boring.

Nick_to_the_face
01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
They played that last time.

I like when bands leave out obvious songs. Obvious is boring.

Ya they played it when I saw them, but thats a really good song so I wouldn't mind it. Did they play Diamonds and Rust when you saw them? I don't care if its a cover, it's a kick ass cover

DethMaiden
01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
I think farewell tours can be an exception, though. Is Breaking the Law the best Judas Priest song ever? Well, no, but if I'm never going to see Judas Priest again, yeah, I wanna hear it. Their 2008 setlist was awesome, but adding like three more hits to it would not ruin the principle.

BlindGuardian93
01-28-2011, 08:33 AM
I think farewell tours can be an exception, though. Is Breaking the Law the best Judas Priest song ever? Well, no, but if I'm never going to see Judas Priest again, yeah, I wanna hear it. Their 2008 setlist was awesome, but adding like three more hits to it would not ruin the principle.

Id like for them to play more off of painkiller and screaming for vengance. one or two new songs wont be bad. But if it is a farewell tour fans will want classic priest.

Nick_to_the_face
01-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Id like for them to play more off of painkiller and screaming for vengance. one or two new songs wont be bad. But if it is a farewell tour fans will want classic priest.

A mix would be nice. I've seen most of the hits, so some rarities would be kick ass, of course a couple of new ones would be cool, and ya i would want to see some hits. But i don't want a set full of hits..

ravenheart
01-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I like when bands mark their farewell by bringing out stuff they've never played. That's a far better way to mark the occasion than just playing all the songs they've played countless times before. There's nothing memorable or special about that.

Yeah, if we're never going to get to see them again roll out some of the all-time popular stuff for the last time. But if we can sit here and write down 20 obvious songs and they play all 20, that's pathetic. No exceptions to that.

cradle_of_maiden
01-28-2011, 09:03 AM
A Maiden/Priest tour would never be co-headlining. It would always be Priest as special guests.

No idea on Maiden's support. Nothing's been said, although I strongly suspect the support for the couple of US shows will be very different to the UK and European legs. I even expect the UK ones to be different to the rest of Europe.

As long as we don't get Trivium or the Avril Lavigne cover band that opened for Maiden last time I saw them. Talk about a whole stadium shouting "Maiden" at the top of thier lungs for 45 minutes straight lol.

ravenheart
01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Last time I saw them we had Funeral For a Friend...

SomewhereInTime72
01-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I like when bands mark their farewell by bringing out stuff they've never played. That's a far better way to mark the occasion than just playing all the songs they've played countless times before. There's nothing memorable or special about that.

Yeah, if we're never going to get to see them again roll out some of the all-time popular stuff for the last time. But if we can sit here and write down 20 obvious songs and they play all 20, that's pathetic. No exceptions to that.

http://operatorchan.org/s/src/s19797_No%20Fun%20Allowed.jpg

ravenheart
01-28-2011, 10:58 AM
http://operatorchan.org/s/src/s19797_No%20Fun%20Allowed.jpg

Boring shows are not fun.

DethMaiden
01-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Breaking the Law
Hell Bent for Leather
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Painkiller
Diamonds and Rust
Beyond the Realms of Death
Victim of Changes
Metal Gods
Living After Midnight
Electric Eye

If they did those 10 and did 10-12 others would you be pissed?

ravenheart
01-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Breaking the Law
Hell Bent for Leather
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Painkiller
Diamonds and Rust
Beyond the Realms of Death
Victim of Changes
Metal Gods
Living After Midnight
Electric Eye

If they did those 10 and did 10-12 others would you be pissed?

Well, put it this way. I'm seeing them early on this tour at a festival I would have been going to anyway. If their set for this tour turns out to be those 10 plus 10-12 predictable others, I won't bother seeing them again on the tour at either of the two other likely chances I'll have to do so. And I would only really give a shit about seeing six of the 10 above anyway.

DethMaiden
01-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Well, easy for you to say because you're seeing them no matter what. ;)

I'll see Judas Priest one more time in my life. That's all I'm gonna say.

ravenheart
01-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I'll see Judas Priest one more time in my life. That's all I'm gonna say.

So will I if they pull out a lame set ;)

theclansman1114
01-29-2011, 03:21 PM

Nor did they....

JRA
01-29-2011, 09:01 PM

70% rarities and 30% hits would be the best choice. Metal Masters was more or less this. (it was 60/40 there but whatev).

Also, LOL at SIT72's Sonic the hedgehog comic reference.

ravenheart
01-30-2011, 02:15 AM
70% rarities and 30% hits would be the best choice. Metal Masters was more or less this. (it was 60/40 there but whatev).

Yep, I agree. I think if they don't bust out some back catalogue gems it would be not only a missed opportunity, but a real disservice to the volume of great material they had.

20-song greatest hits sets are for bands with less than 20 good songs.