PDA

View Full Version : Post/progressive death metal, with some djenty elements. Cryptodira.

Statutory-Mike
01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
My band just decided to upload some practice videos of us (minus our vocalist/2nd guitarist because he didn't make practice when we did it). Let me know what you guys think. Not the best recording, but it could've been much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udl06pLGmtM

Just one of 5 we've got on the channel if you're interested in hearing anymore. Thanks very much!

Statutory-Mike
03-25-2011, 09:08 PM
http://www.myspace.com/cryptodiraband

Natrlhi
03-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Sounds somewhat interesting, but the sound quality on my laptop is horrendous, so I'll have to check it out later when I can actually hear the details. I'd be curious to hear what it's like with the vocals and second guitar (I'm assuming your MySpace page has tracks of the full band playing?).

Statutory-Mike
04-29-2011, 07:30 AM
Yes, we have one track up right now, it's not great quality, but everything is distinguishable, so it's not horrid. We'll be doing better recordings of two of our songs in a few weeks. And by mid-late summer should actually have a legit first release.

slapguitarer
04-29-2011, 05:56 PM
This stuff sounds really good! :rocker:

This reminds me that my band really needs to start doing stuff.

Statutory-Mike
05-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks a lot man! We really appreciate it. We'll have a few more songs out very soon, glad you like it.

jd091
05-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Woah man... this is like, really good stuff. What you got going for you is a unique style. You get some good vocals, and this could be really killer! Find somebody who sounds like Mikael Akerfeldt, thats my favorite style of growls.

Statutory-Mike
05-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks a lot man, we really appreciate the feedback. I'll be posting as soon as we get some new recordings up. They're not gonna be perfect, but they'll be better quality then the only one we've got now.

Statutory-Mike
07-27-2011, 01:00 PM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cryptodira/185238604830693?sk=app_178091127385

alright, we have one instrumental track up right now. another, full track will be up tomorrow night. let me know what you guys think. it's just meant to be an instrumental live intro really.

Statutory-Mike
08-09-2011, 02:52 PM
change of plans. recording the rest of the EP on thursday, should be up within the next week. let's see what you guys think.

jd091
08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
cool, post it when you finish

Statutory-Mike
08-20-2011, 01:52 PM
we've got one new song up right now, 'Anonymous', two more coming in a few days. it's not my favorite of our stuff, but I still like it. i'll let you guys know when the others go up, and I'd love to know what you think of this one. thanks a lot, and like our page if you enjoy it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cryptodira/185238604830693?ref=ts

Statutory-Mike
08-27-2011, 06:11 PM
we've got a new track up that I think you guys will like a lot more, this one's called 'Asphyxiate', and I think it's much more up your guys alleys. The last track we upload is probably our best one, we're just waiting for some reaction from this one. Also, the beginning few seconds of it is the last few seconds of introduction, so for a much smoother transition, either listen to the last few seconds of introduction or the whole thing. thanks a lot guys, let me know what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cryptodira/185238604830693?sk=wall

jd091
08-27-2011, 09:15 PM
we've got a new track up that I think you guys will like a lot more, this one's called 'Asphyxiate', and I think it's much more up your guys alleys. The last track we upload is probably our best one, we're just waiting for some reaction from this one. Also, the beginning few seconds of it is the last few seconds of introduction, so for a much smoother transition, either listen to the last few seconds of introduction or the whole thing. thanks a lot guys, let me know what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cryptodira/185238604830693?sk=wall

I'm diggin' it a lot. And the vocals, too. Which usually suck with young bands. I liked the page!

Statutory-Mike
08-28-2011, 11:00 AM
thanks a lot man, spread the word as much as you can. we appreciate it so much for you even giving us a listen. we'll have the last of the 4 tracks we recorded up within a few days, it sounds great, and I think it's without a doubt the best of all everything we've got up their right now.

Statutory-Mike
09-03-2011, 11:12 PM
alright, we've released the last song off the EP onto our facebook, Amenity, and made the entire EP a free download if anyone's interested.

free download - http://www.mediafire.com/?chmadveiaez8xx5
facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cryptodira/185238604830693?ref=ts

again, let me know what you guys think. we think this track might be the best of the four we've got recorded, and we'd really appreciate if you even give a couple seconds of it a listen. thanks again, you guys rule for listening to me and to continue checking us out (especially you JD!).

larvtard
09-04-2011, 10:04 AM
I actually downloaded it. I didn't listen to all of it because I got kinda bored but it wasn't bad. Some cool riffs and shit, just need to work on the songwriting a little. Maybe even better production ;)

Statutory-Mike
09-06-2011, 07:00 PM
thank you so much for taking the time dude, that's fucking sweet, and I appreciate the constructive criticism too, we're working on a full length as we speak, and I feel like our song writing is maturing already. and yeah, the production was a bit out of our control due to lack of money, but come time for a full length we're gonna save and record a really killer record

jd091
09-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Finally got my internet working at college, so I'm downloading now. I'll let you know what I think.

jd091
09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Ok, really good stuff man. I'm diggin' Asphyxiate. A couple things:

Some of the riffs seem a little sloppy and not in time. If the band was a tighter and more in rythm, it would be great.
The clean vocals really aren't working. Out of tune. Very... ouch. Hurts me. DO NOT WANT.
I understand you're going for the prog route, but sometimes I wish there was more of a chorus to write around, or at least some more notable riffs to act as a chorus. Perhaps.

But other than that... great. I really like the screams. The riffs for the most part are awesome. Reminds me a lot of Scale the Summit with the progginess. The bass fits well most times over the music, and it flows together well. Lots of promise, man! Just make sure the band is much tighter and in time together, and you have something going there. The instrumentation is great. Very Russian Circles-esque at times, too. I think you wanna keep your screams going the Neurosis-style route you're flirting with. Keep up the work; I approve!

EDIT: Riff at 5:20 in Introduction = :rocker:

Statutory-Mike
09-09-2011, 09:57 AM
thanks so much dude, and i think you mean 5:20 in Amenity, there's no 5:20 in the introduction.

but still, I can't thank you enough for the feedback and constructive criticism. hopefully we'll have these recorded better in a matter of months with another one of our buddies, and we're already hard at work on a full length which we're looking to release next year, probably around this time. we've also been talking with a local band we're good friends with about a possible spring tour up the east coast. and we're looking to get some merch. probably a couple shirts, and stickers. we're not sure exactly what else to get. if you've got any ideas we'd love to hear them. and thanks again for listening, you guys are fucking rad.

larvtard
09-09-2011, 10:42 AM
thanks so much dude, and i think you mean 5:20 in Amenity, there's no 5:20 in the introduction.

but still, I can't thank you enough for the feedback and constructive criticism. hopefully we'll have these recorded better in a matter of months with another one of our buddies, and we're already hard at work on a full length which we're looking to release next year, probably around this time. we've also been talking with a local band we're good friends with about a possible spring tour up the east coast. and we're looking to get some merch. probably a couple shirts, and stickers. we're not sure exactly what else to get. if you've got any ideas we'd love to hear them. and thanks again for listening, you guys are fucking rad.

are you going to college next year?

jd091
09-09-2011, 10:54 AM

No problem! That's awesome news. Shirts + stickers are a good idea. CD's, too, of course. And not expensive; you don't really want to make money off of them at first. Just get your name out. I'm twice as likely to buy a cool local band tee if its $5 or $10 versus $15 or $20. I guess at this point, you should just focus on playing as many shows as possible and getting to know your local scene as best as you can.

Logan does raise a good point: you have college, right? That tends to be a little important...

Statutory-Mike
09-09-2011, 10:16 PM
are you going to college next year?
yes, I'm going at least this year and next. my entire band is in one area and going to colleges 10 mins or so away from each other, we're going to try as hard as we can to tour on long breaks though.

No problem! That's awesome news. Shirts + stickers are a good idea. CD's, too, of course. And not expensive; you don't really want to make money off of them at first. Just get your name out. I'm twice as likely to buy a cool local band tee if its $5 or $10 versus $15 or $20. I guess at this point, you should just focus on playing as many shows as possible and getting to know your local scene as best as you can.

Logan does raise a good point: you have college, right? That tends to be a little important...

yeah, we're gonna charge probably 10 bucks for shirts, depending on how much it cost to make them, but never over 10 for now. also, that's what we're trying to do. we've already made friends with a couple of really promising local bands, and have been playing all the shows we can get on. and yes, but we're going to do our best to work around college.

Statutory-Mike
09-13-2011, 01:30 PM
so, now we're thinking of covering a few songs to throw in at live shows once in a while. we've got the idea of covering only older, more classic stuff that's influenced us (death, atheist, black sabbath, at the gates, etc.) that set the standards for heavy, and more technical music today. the other idea is to cover newer stuff that's influenced us (BTBAM, the contortionist, isis, intronaut, etc.). or a combination of both. any thoughts or suggestions?

mankvill
09-13-2011, 02:07 PM
SLAUGHTER OF THE SOUL

larvtard
09-13-2011, 07:12 PM
eh, I don't see the point of covering newer stuff. I doubt your band is really gonna offer a unique take on "White Walls"

jd091
09-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Isis or Intronaut could be pretty cool. Maybe Baroness?

Statutory-Mike
09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
SLAUGHTER OF THE SOUL

we've actually covered that before, it's funny you say that

eh, I don't see the point of covering newer stuff. I doubt your band is really gonna offer a unique take on "White Walls"

I totally get where you're coming from, but we'd be playing older stuff, maybe a cover of the primer

Isis or Intronaut could be pretty cool. Maybe Baroness?

that's not a bad idea at all! everyone in the band fucking loves baroness

Statutory-Mike
10-01-2011, 09:56 PM
so, we've decided we are re-recording what we have out right now, plus one new song, for much cheaper in MUCH better quality, so you'll actually be able to listen to it without having to turn it off halfway through.

also, we're trying to venture off of long island a bit, and have a HUGE show announcement for october, but have to wait until it is 100% happening, but it's something a lot of people on this forum might be interested in. also, we're printing merch as soon as we've got the new recordings out.

thanks for reading and continuing to listen to me babble on guys, it means a lot.

larvtard
10-04-2011, 06:38 AM
also, we're trying to venture off of long island a bit

I'd actually be willing to book you guys in Burlington! I've never booked a show before, and I doubt that you guys have any presence here, but I gotta start somewhere, right? Dude...this is actually an awesome idea. Let me know what you think. I'd put up tons of flyers all across the city and shit.

Statutory-Mike
10-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I'd actually be willing to book you guys in Burlington! I've never booked a show before, and I doubt that you guys have any presence here, but I gotta start somewhere, right? Dude...this is actually an awesome idea. Let me know what you think. I'd put up tons of flyers all across the city and shit.

that sounds fucking sweet to me dude, maybe I can talk to another band we're good friends with and we can get some kind of mini tour in the works, and you could help us out for that date. I'm excited already about this actually.

brutal_descent
10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
that sounds fucking sweet to me dude, maybe I can talk to another band we're good friends with and we can get some kind of mini tour in the works, and you could help us out for that date. I'm excited already about this actually.

Yeah, and I could book you a Russia tour too :lol:

larvtard
10-04-2011, 12:41 PM

:party: Looking forward to it man! You know how to get in touch with me.

Statutory-Mike
10-20-2011, 10:33 AM
a sneak preview or two either tomorrow night or saturday afternoon, we've just started recording again and the quality is TONS better. I'm so stoked for everyone to hear this stuff.

Statutory-Mike
10-21-2011, 11:12 PM
sound clips up:

www.facebook.com/cryptodira

Statutory-Mike
10-26-2011, 11:58 AM
looks like this thing should be done in a few more weeks, we're having artwork being drawn up really soon. and if any of you guys have any suggestion as to what to put on shirts and things of that nature, I'd love to hear some. thanks.

jd091
10-26-2011, 01:10 PM
looks like this thing should be done in a few more weeks, we're having artwork being drawn up really soon. and if any of you guys have any suggestion as to what to put on shirts and things of that nature, I'd love to hear some. thanks.

Big bold font on the back:

CRYPTO
FUCKING
DIRA

Seriously though, the new clips sound awesome!

Statutory-Mike
10-30-2011, 05:37 PM
haha, dude a few people actually suggested that as a serious shirt design. and thanks so much man, I just put up 2 more new clips, one with vocals, that you guys probably are gonna dig a whole lot more.

so siked for this thing to be finished.

Statutory-Mike
11-11-2011, 11:15 PM
last day of recording tomorrow, and we've got a really cool show announcement for anyone on long island who might be on here, it's a little silly but I'm still stoked about it

Statutory-Mike
11-13-2011, 04:12 PM
we're gonna put out the first completely finished song at 300 likes, it could be later on tonight. if you downloaded or listened to the old recordings we had up at all, you are going to be blown away by the improvement in quality :D

jd091
11-13-2011, 04:50 PM
we're gonna put out the first completely finished song at 300 likes, it could be later on tonight. if you downloaded or listened to the old recordings we had up at all, you are going to be blown away by the improvement in quality :D

Sweeeeet.

Statutory-Mike
11-14-2011, 01:34 PM
new song up!

www.facebook.com/cryptodira (for anyone that doesn't know)

I'm really excited for everyone to hear this :party:

larvtard
11-14-2011, 08:01 PM
pretty sick track man. sounds awesome now.

also: this local metal promoter I'm friends with does a weekly showcase of local metal bands every monday (sometimes out-of-town bands, too). I could probably try to get you guys on there. I dunno about the band that you'd be touring with, though. I think asking him to throw two touring bands on the lineup is a bit too much, ya know what I mean?

Statutory-Mike
11-16-2011, 07:13 AM
pretty sick track man. sounds awesome now.

also: this local metal promoter I'm friends with does a weekly showcase of local metal bands every monday (sometimes out-of-town bands, too). I could probably try to get you guys on there. I dunno about the band that you'd be touring with, though. I think asking him to throw two touring bands on the lineup is a bit too much, ya know what I mean?

thanks so much dude! i'll let you know about touring plans as soon as we figure out some stuff, i'm psyched to play down there. and thanks for listening too, you rule :D

Statutory-Mike
11-21-2011, 12:09 PM
new track up! it's probably the heaviest thing on the EP. let me know what you guys think of it compared to 'Anonymous'

Statutory-Mike
11-22-2011, 07:27 AM
also, if you guys are interested in having the songs downloaded on your computer, I just uploaded the sampler (both songs on the facebook) to mediafire. feel free to download it and tell everyone who even kinda likes music to do it too.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ikqawy5jelq0s0t

Statutory-Mike
12-13-2011, 08:34 PM
thoughts on the merch designs we'll be putting out?

1. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=305700449451174&set=pu.185238604830693&type=1&theater

2. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=306276209393598&set=pu.185238604830693&type=1&theater

Dextrimental
12-13-2011, 08:50 PM
I'd buy that first t shirt!

Statutory-Mike
12-30-2011, 12:11 PM
I'd buy that first t shirt!

thanks dude! that one's my favorite too, we're putting in orders really soon, and we just ordered 100 physical copies of the EP, plus we're putting it on itunes this week I believe

Statutory-Mike
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
the whole EP is streaming right now! you guys who are into more progressiveish stuff might dig 'Amenity' it's the last song on the bandpage player. let me know what you dudes think.

https://www.facebook.com/cryptodira?sk=app_178091127385

dirty_knees_steve
01-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Digging it brah, but I think I'd get tired of the vocals, still like it though.

Statutory-Mike
01-05-2012, 03:10 PM
thanks for the honesty dude! glad you enjoyed it. if anyone's interested in having the whole thing for free the mediafire link below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n797h8q9bvu5zkr

Statutory-Mike
01-06-2012, 09:57 AM
oh, some cool news. we're playing with scale the summit february 14th in jersey. if you're from jersey, you should come out to that and say hello. and buy a ticket from us.

Statutory-Mike
01-31-2012, 09:25 AM
we got physical copies of the EP, and shirts should be here in a week! we're gonna make a bigcartel in case anyone at all is interested in buying anything. also, NJ:

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/events/337716602919936/

Statutory-Mike
03-19-2012, 09:54 PM
We've got shirts and physical copies of our EP. Putting up a webstore within the week if anyone is interested! Also, just finished writing a new EP, starting recording in May/June. So much more excited about this than the first EP.

http://www.facebook.com/cryptodira <---check it out if you haven't already!

Statutory-Mike
03-29-2012, 08:34 AM
cryptodira.bigcartel.com <---If anyone is interested in purchasing shirts or an EP at all!

VoidFlame
03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the djent/prog/space feel in metal, but I'm listening to your EP right now and I have to say the songs are really well composed. Your musicianship is impressive. The only thing that would need some improvement is the vocals: your singer's good for long notes, but when he screams faster, it doesn't sound that good.

Anyway, keep on writing music, you guys have tons of potential. The last song, "Amenity", is particularly good.

Statutory-Mike
04-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the djent/prog/space feel in metal, but I'm listening to your EP right now and I have to say the songs are really well composed. Your musicianship is impressive. The only thing that would need some improvement is the vocals: your singer's good for long notes, but when he screams faster, it doesn't sound that good.

Anyway, keep on writing music, you guys have tons of potential. The last song, "Amenity", is particularly good.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking a listen! We're totally straying away from trying to call ourselves 'djent' anymore, we just thought it was really cool a year or so ago, but still I know what you're saying.

Thank you again for taking a listen and giving honest feedback, I really appreciate it a whole ton.

Statutory-Mike
09-19-2012, 07:37 AM
I definitely have not posted about this in a while. We're in the middle of recording a new EP which is going to be WORLD'S better than the first one released. Much more post metal influence, and I'm kicking myself for saying that we were "djenty" when I first posted that. We are not about that at all anymore, not like our music really reflected it much in the first place. We went on our first tour in late July/early August, and we're going out again in December for a few days & in January for 14-15 days. I'll post all that stuff when it gets confirmed. I really am not a huge fan of our first release, and seriously am very proud of the way the new EP is sounding and I can't wait until it's available for everyone to hear.

Anyway, if anyone is still interested in listening to the old EP, you can download it free on bandcamp or buy a physical copy on our bigcartel. I put all the links below. Thanks for reading if you are!

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/cryptodira
Bandcamp - cryptodira.bandcamp.com
Merch - cryptodira.bigcartel.com
Tumblr - cryptodira.tumblr.com
Twitter - @cryptodiraband