PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Movie Forecast

powerslave_85
01-20-2011, 10:15 AM
A short list of stuff to look forward to (or not, in the case of Transformers) this year. I hope you like comic book movies, 'cause there's gonna be a shitload.

The Adjustment Bureau
Battle: Los Angeles
Paul
Sucker Punch
Super
Your Highness
Thor
Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides
The Hangover II
Tree of Life
X-Men: First Class
Super 8
Green Lantern
Cars 2
Transformers: The Dark of the Moon
Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows Part 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
Cowboys and Aliens
The Thing
The Muppets
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Sherlock Holmes 2

Feel free to add to the list and talk about what you're most looking forward to.

powerslave_85
01-20-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm most looking forward to:

Super
Paul
Battle: Los Angeles
Pirates 4 (no Orlando Bloom/Kiera Knightley = higher hopes)
The Muppets

Bold prediction: X-Men will be the best out of the comic movies.

Super 8 might be interesting, once Abrams reveals what the fuck it's actually about.

JuuKun
01-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Looking forward to Harry Potter, Thor, X-Men: First Class, Captain America, Green Lantern, and the Muppets. Interested in checking out Pirates 4, and curious about Sherlock Holmes 2.

Also, the new Winnie the Pooh is supposed to be more along the lines of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh as opposed to the newer DTV movies. I'm interested, but that's just me.

Bold prediction: X-Men will be the best out of the comic movies.

I'm going to predict Captain America, but X-Men has the potential.

powerslave_85
01-20-2011, 05:16 PM
I've never seen any of the Harry Potter moives, or read past the 4th book, but I think before this last one comes out I'll rent all the movies to see what the fuss is about.

Dextrimental
01-20-2011, 05:20 PM
I've never seen any of the Harry Potter moives, or read past the 4th book, but I think before this last one comes out I'll rent all the movies to see what the fuss is about.

DO NOT DO THAT. Watch movies 1-3, then read the rest of the books, then watch the last one and the forthcoming ones. movies 4-6 are absolutely dreadful, as in I was insulted leaving the cinema after being such a Harry Potter fan.

I am looking forward to Transformers and the comic book movies this year, some other stuff like Super 8 I am interested in, but I will wait til I see more info before I decide I cant wait to see them ;)

Also, the new Pirates and Scream movies just should not happen.

powerslave_85
01-20-2011, 05:28 PM
I've sworn off going out of my way to read source material before seeing a movie. It always lessens my enjoyment of it. Besides, your opinions of the later movies are pretty much the exact opposite of what I've heard from most people, so...;)

JuuKun
01-20-2011, 05:31 PM
DO NOT DO THAT. Watch movies 1-3, then read the rest of the books, then watch the last one and the forthcoming ones. movies 4-6 are absolutely dreadful, as in I was insulted leaving the cinema after being such a Harry Potter fan.

They're dreadful adaptations of the books, yes. But they're not "dreadful" on their own. There's really too much in each book to have been able to do better with those movies (they have said that they've separately considered making each book a two-part movie since Goblet of Fire). While it would be ideal to just read all the books instead, watching all of the movies will work fine if he just wants to see what it's all about.

Dextrimental
01-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I've sworn off going out of my way to read source material before seeing a movie. It always lessens my enjoyment of it. Besides, your opinions of the later movies are pretty much the exact opposite of what I've heard from most people, so...;)

Fair enough, but movie 4 left out so much of the book, it was barely cohesive as a movie. Movie 5, ok I'll give you that, it is passable, but movie 6 put me to sleep, for the first time ever in the cinema, a movie put me to sleep. It was way too slow as a movie. Just my two cents, do what you wish, just as a big fan, those movies disappointed me alot.

JuuKun
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Fair enough, but movie 4 left out so much of the book, it was barely cohesive as a movie. Movie 5, ok I'll give you that, it is passable, but movie 6 put me to sleep, for the first time ever in the cinema, a movie put me to sleep. It was way too slow as a movie. Just my two cents, do what you wish, just as a big fan, those movies disappointed me alot.

I lol'd at the idea that Goblet of Fire was a worse movie than Order of the Phoenix. I suppose it's all a matter of opinion, but OOTP was such a huge disappointment for this fan.

Dextrimental
01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I lol'd at the idea that Goblet of Fire was a worse movie than Order of the Phoenix. I suppose it's all a matter of opinion, but OOTP was such a huge disappointment for this fan.

Goblet just, when I was watching it, it was the same as watching the Da Vinci code, it seemed to be moving too fast, like squashing everything into a short time frame. The only way Goblet worked for me as a movie is because I had already read the book and was able to put it together in my head.

DethMaiden
01-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Excited for Captain America and Thor. Not so excited for the other comic book movies to be honest, unless The Wolverine miraculously comes out this year.

Tree of Life could be good.

Most of the best stuff we don't even know about, so I hesitate to say what I'm most excited for really.

TonyD
01-23-2011, 04:50 PM
(they have said that they've separately considered making each book a two-part movie since Goblet of Fire).

So that it ends when Daniel Radcliff(?) is 30.

Super 8 should be good
Stoked for the Muppets especially since Jason Segal is doing it
Transformers gonna Transform
Your Highness should be dumb but funny, not to mention the babes.

mastodon421
01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Brad, your really excited about Captain America and not X Men: First Class:confused: ,that really surprises me, especially considering how big a comic fan you are. Based on the director and cast, I would think Captain America has the highest chance of sucking out of all the comic book films coming out this year.

Anyways... Here is what I want to see this year(* next to the ones I am very excited about).
The Mechanic
Cedar Rapids
Unknown
Drive Angry
Hall Pass
Battle: Los Angeles(this will most likely suck, but I still want to see it)
Paul*
Sucker Punch*
Your Highness*
Fast Five
Thor*
Bridesmaids
POTC: On Stanger Tides
The Hangover 2*
X-Men: First Class*
Super 8
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon*(haters gonna hate;))
Larry Crowne
Cowboys and Aliens*
30 Minutes Or Less
Colombiana
A Warrior's Heart
Wanderlust*
Contagion
Tower Heist*
Rise Of The Apes
Sherlock Holmes 2
War Horse

I will see more than these. I am trying this new thing this year, where I see as many movies as possible, as a (potentially) aspring movie critic I want to start watching everything so I have a more well rounded view of movies than I do currently.

DethMaiden
01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Captain America is my favorite Marvel character (besides maybe Wolverine), and they're doing a Cosmic Cube storyline. Sign me up. X-Men First Class...I'll see it, but I have very low expectations, especially based on which mutants are in it. No one gives a shit about any of them.

powerslave_85
01-24-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm excited for First Class soley on the basis of Matt Vaughn directing it. Michael Fassbender playing Magneto doesn't hurt either, I guess. Nor does Jennifer Lawrence in body paint.

mastodon421
01-24-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm excited for First Class soley on the basis of Matt Vaughn directing it. Michael Fassbender playing Magneto doesn't hurt either, I guess. Nor does Jennifer Lawrence in body paint.

I am excited for all of those reasons plus James McAvoy as Professor X, I think was the perfect casting choice for a young Professor X.

InPatient5100
01-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Anyone looking forward to seeing Contagion later this year? I certainly am!

DementedX14
02-06-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't plan to see many movies this year but here are some that I am thinking I will see:

The Thing
Scream 4
The Darkest Hour
Contagion
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Transformers: Dark of the Moon :tongue:

DethMaiden
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Captain America trailer is premiering during the Super Bowl! Wheeeeee! :D

Dextrimental
02-06-2011, 02:35 PM
I take I am the only one here who is a fan of the Transformers movies? :eyes:

mastodon421
02-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I take I am the only one here who is a fan of the Transformers movies? :eyes:

Nope, I actually like them alot.

Dextrimental
02-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Nope, I actually like them alot.

Thank you! :D

Natrlhi
02-06-2011, 08:00 PM

I saw that. It looked pretty cool.

TonyD
02-07-2011, 01:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpaXaL9OxYc
That honestly looks fucking stupid

DethMaiden
02-07-2011, 07:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpaXaL9OxYc
That honestly looks fucking stupid

Nah dude, it looks awesome. Sorry. :tongue:

TonyD
02-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Nah dude, it looks awesome. Sorry. :tongue:

Don't apologize, that's like, your opinion man.

evildeadjedi
02-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I've enjoyed the Transformers films so I look forward to the new one.

Others that look/sound interesting:

Thor (Super Bowl trailer and some stuff I read about it online)
Captain America (see above)
Super 8 (see Thor)
Cowboys Vs Aliens (see Thor)
Sucker Punch (Comic Con footage and reading online)
X-Men First Class (reading online)
POTC: On Stranger Tides (see Thor)
Fast Five (this series is a guilty pleasure of mine, I love the cars and the b-movie acting)

ShatteredFlame
02-07-2011, 12:32 PM
I think all the super hero movies this year look fucking stupid. Only decent thing I've seen is that one photo of Andrew Garfield in the Spiderman costume for the reboot next year, but I think the movie will suck.

InPatient5100
02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
What's the one where Ryen Gossling makes ravenous love to Michelle Williams?

smokebeer420
02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
im looking foward to the hangover2 the green lantern thor and captian america.Something tell me that the last 2 will end up turning into a sappy love story ruining what would have been a rather good movies.God i hope im wrong though

Natrlhi
02-11-2011, 08:48 PM
that's like, your opinion man.DUDE.
http://slyoyster.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/lebowski.jpg

mastodon421
02-27-2011, 10:44 AM
bump... Saw Drive Angry last night. Completely over-the-top and ridiculous, but pretty fun movie. You can read my full review here http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/2011/02/movie-review-drive-angry.html

powerslave_85
03-22-2011, 09:02 AM
At first I thought Sucker Punch looked stupid as hell and...well, it might still turn out to be (it is Zach Snyder after all), but I'm more interested in seeing it now than I was before. Damn you effective marketing!

I'm still on the fence about Your Highness. I'm getting tired of those kinds of movies (endless stoner and crude sex jokes), but the cast and setting might make it worth seeing.

I saw the trailer for Thor before Paul, and it looks really dumb. Pass.

Still really excited for X-Men: First Class, and that grows with every new trailer.

evildeadjedi
03-22-2011, 10:46 AM
At first I thought Sucker Punch looked stupid as hell and...well, it might still turn out to be (it is Zach Snyder after all), but I'm more interested in seeing it now than I was before. Damn you effective marketing!

I remember when I posted it a vid of the Comic Con footage last year and you said something in the nature of "that was the most ridiculous shit I have ever seen in my life". So, had a change of heart have we? ;)

DethMaiden
03-22-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't care if Thor sucks, it's going to rule.

Natrlhi
03-22-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't care if Thor sucks, it's going to rule.I find your lack of logic hilarious. :lol:

On the subject of "Sucker Punch", I have to say that I thought it looked like a steaming pile of misogyny when I saw the first teaser trailer for it, but every time I see something new about that novie, it looks like it could actually be interesting. Of course, having said this, I'll wait and let some other folks be the guinea pigs on this one before I cough up the hard-earned cash to take a gamble on it.

DethMaiden
03-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I find your lack of logic hilarious. :lol:

I mean to say, it can be a terrible cheesefest of a movie, but if it has some Amon Amarth shit going down and Natalie Portman being Natalie Portman, I'll still love it.

Natrlhi
03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I mean to say, it can be a terrible cheesefest of a movie, but if it has some Amon Amarth shit going down and Natalie Portman being Natalie Portman, I'll still love it.I know what you were saying. I was congratulating you on how wittily you were saying it. ;)

powerslave_85
03-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I remember when I posted it a vid of the Comic Con footage last year and you said something in the nature of "that was the most ridiculous shit I have ever seen in my life". So, had a change of heart have we? ;)
Well, it's still going to be utterly ridiculous, but maybe in a good way ;)

The thing that bugged me about the Thor trailer was that it looks like the first half of the movie is going to be an endless series of fish-out-of-water jokes. As for Portman, she's kind of doomed already, because superhero love interests are always terribly developed and written.

That, and the villain looks laughable. It's probably true to the comic, blah blah blah, but seriously?

evildeadjedi
03-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Well, it's still going to be utterly ridiculous, but maybe in a good way ;)

Like Machete? :D

mastodon421
03-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I think Thor looks pretty awesome actually. Sure a bit corny, but that's what I expected. The huge fucking thing at the end of the trailer is badass.

Nick_to_the_face
03-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Like Machete? :D

That movie was fucking fantastic. Gave me more mexican pride than I have ever had :D

masterguy49
03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Sucker Punch getting shitty reviews. I'm disappointed.

DethMaiden
03-24-2011, 03:44 PM
In fairness, your average person paid to review movies doesn't really fall in the same target audience as Sucker-Punch, so if you think it looks fun you'll probably like it.

mastodon421
03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah Sucker Punch is the kind of movie that really shouldn't listen to the professional reviews. Most of the reviews both positive and negative are saying the same things, it's like a video game, which is exactly what I am expecting it to be.

powerslave_85
03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Well, it's still going to be utterly ridiculous, but maybe in a good way ;)Nope. It was stunningly, magnificently bad. Not a single redeeming quality.

mastodon421
03-27-2011, 09:00 AM
I saw The Lincoln Lawyer and Sucker Punch yesterday. The Lincoln Lawyer was a very good legal drama. I didn't think McConaguhey could be this good in a movie and there was some twists and turns in the script. I loved Sucker Punch. I thought it was a great action fantasy with some amazing visuals. I thought the story was very enjoyable and Zach Snyder did a great job with the direction.

powerslave_85
03-28-2011, 05:21 PM
The ones I've seen so far:

The Adjustment Bureau: Good, but I probably should have just waited for the rental
Battle: Los Angeles: Pretty bad, but not offensively so
Paul: Damn funny, I enjoyed it
Sucker Punch: Absolutely fucking dreadful

Still on the fence about Your Highness; it kind of depends on how bored I am that weekend. I'm dying to see Super, but it doesn't have a distributor, so that'll probably have to wait until the DVD/illegal copy. I really want to see Hanna if it plays here.

After seeing the proper trailer for Captain America, I'm actually kind of excited for it, mostly because of the WWII setting.

DethMaiden
03-28-2011, 05:21 PM
You missed out skipping Rango, dude.

EDIT: And yeah, I've only seen Rango and Cedar Rapids. Rango was brilliant and the more I think about it the more I like it. Probably going to see it again. Cedar Rapids was basically a less obnoxious more mumblecore version of The Hangover. Good but not great. Looking forward to Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (have my tickets), Your Highness, Water for Elephants, Thor, Bridesmaids, Pirates 4, The Tree of Life, and that's just through May so there's plenty more after that.

powerslave_85
03-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Ah, I definitely plan on seeing it, but I'll probably just wait for Netflix. I probably wouldn't get all the references to Westerns anyways.

powerslave_85
04-05-2011, 10:39 AM
BridesmaidsI'm definitely interested in this; there are some really funny people in it (Kristen Wiig is great when she stays the hell away from SNL). I'm kind of stunned that Judy Greer isn't involved in it, though :lol:

Indestructible
04-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I saw three movies this year

Red riding Hood-Good

Paul- Good

Suckerpunch- Sucked there was no plot at all, could not figure out what was going on in this movie. save your money wait to see until it's in the redbox and on netflix.

Nick_to_the_face
04-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I saw three movies this year

Red riding Hood-Good

Paul- Good

Suckerpunch- Sucked there was no plot at all, could not figure out what was going on in this movie. save your money wait to see until it's in the redbox and on netflix.
I thought it was great. What do you mean no plot?

Indestructible
04-07-2011, 05:00 PM
I thought it was great. What do you mean no plot?

There was no plot, the first ten minutes made it look like it was going to be good and have a plot, but after that I don't know what the fuck was going on. Explain the plot if you think there was one.

NecroRob
04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I saw Hobo with a Shotgun the other day...possibly the most ridiculous movie I've ever seen in my life. It was pretty awesome :rocker:

Nick_to_the_face
04-08-2011, 03:06 PM
There was no plot, the first ten minutes made it look like it was going to be good and have a plot, but after that I don't know what the fuck was going on. Explain the plot if you think there was one.

SPOILER ALERT:eek::eek::eek:

She was part of a rich family. When her mom passes away, her step-father gets mad because he isn't in the inheritance, so he goes to molest them..
The oldest one escapes and goes back to stop more molesting. When she goes back she grabs a gun out of a drawer, then tries to shit him and misses and kills her sister. Then he calls the cops and gets get sent away to mental institution.

While she is in there she makes a different world in her head to escape the horrible reality of whats happening :eek:
Which includes her being sent to a whore house, and her trying to escape the whore house with other chicks. Eventually some of them die and she figures out it isn't her destiny to live so she helps one chick escape.

Then she gets lobotomized when she is about to die in her other world. Then it is revealed that almost everything that happened in the other world really happened, and then the head of the institution gets arrested and narks on the step-dad....

powerslave_85
04-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Your Highness sucked. I laughed maybe twice. All the "jokes" were just people swearing, because I guess it's supposed to be funny when people in old-timey clothes say "fuck?" I dunno.

Indestructible
04-09-2011, 08:48 PM
SPOILER ALERT:eek::eek::eek:

She was part of a rich family. When her mom passes away, her step-father gets mad because he isn't in the inheritance, so he goes to molest them..
The oldest one escapes and goes back to stop more molesting. When she goes back she grabs a gun out of a drawer, then tries to shit him and misses and kills her sister. Then he calls the cops and gets get sent away to mental institution.

While she is in there she makes a different world in her head to escape the horrible reality of whats happening :eek:
Which includes her being sent to a whore house, and her trying to escape the whore house with other chicks. Eventually some of them die and she figures out it isn't her destiny to live so she helps one chick escape.

Then she gets lobotomized when she is about to die in her other world. Then it is revealed that almost everything that happened in the other world really happened, and then the head of the institution gets arrested and narks on the step-dad....

I got that part, that part of the movie made me thing it was going to be good, but after that I was lost.

DethMaiden
04-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Your Highness sucked. I laughed maybe twice. All the "jokes" were just people swearing, because I guess it's supposed to be funny when people in old-timey clothes say "fuck?" I dunno.

Dammit. This and Nathan Rabin's review has me officially saying fuck it. The 2011 drought continues.

powerslave_85
04-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I haven't seen anything in the theater this year that was "OMG AMAZING!" Source Code was alright, but everything else has ranged from mediocre to outright terrible.

EDIT: Oh wait, Paul was pretty good.

DethMaiden
04-09-2011, 08:54 PM
To completely jump the gun, I think there's a good chance that my top two movies this year will have Brad Pitt in the lead role. I haven't seen/heard about anything that sounds better than The Tree of Life and Moneyball.

powerslave_85
04-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Why have straight-up comedies been so bad over the last year or so? The only other one that looks watchable this year is Bridesmaids.

mastodon421
04-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Saw Your Highness last night. I was pretty dissapointed, but I still thought there was some laughs to be had.

Indestructible
04-19-2011, 12:18 AM
I saw Insidious. It kind of sucked put there were interesting parts(not much though).

powerslave_85
04-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I thought Hanna was really good, and the score was awesome.

mastodon421
04-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Saw Fast Five last night, it was awesome. Extremely entertaining and the story was actually pretty good. Best straight-action movie i've seen in a while.

Sepultura69
05-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Brides Maid was a pretty awesome movie, watched it last night after i got off work with some co-workers :rocker:

powerslave_85
05-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Yeah, Bridesmaids was hilarious. It was a little different than I anticipated (I expected more of an ensemble comedy) but I loved it.

mastodon421
05-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I saw Thor last weekend and it was pretty damn good. Not a classic superhero film by any means, but still very enjoyable.

Shadowswillfall414
05-19-2011, 04:25 PM
So, how about troll hunter people?

powerslave_85
07-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Man, fuck IMAX and 3D. Cars 2, Transformers, and Green Lantern are taking up a total of 8 screens at my theater, so there's no room for shit I actually want to see, like Midnight In Paris or Tree Of Life :hmm:

DethMaiden
07-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Midnight in Paris was fucking incredible, best movie of the year so far (not that its competition is stiff).

The Tree of Life was beautiful to look at but tried awfully hard to be an all-encompassing treatise on life from the dawn of time to the present and failed terrifically.

LAXdef16
07-06-2011, 02:54 PM
9 days until Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 :D
This will definitely be my top movie of 2011

powerslave_85
07-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Anyone seen the trailer for 30 Minutes Or Less? Looks pretty funny, and I'll watch anything with Aziz Ansari.

DementedX14
07-16-2011, 12:47 PM
There are trailers for both Contagion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sYSyuuLk5g) and The Thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txjm94GnrPA). I can't wait to see those movies.

brutal_descent
07-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Midnight in Paris WAS brilliant. Fucking loved it.

DethMaiden
07-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Midnight in Paris WAS brilliant. Fucking loved it.

:party:

Watched I Saw the Devil and Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives in the last couple days here, both are probably year-end top 10 locks.

mastodon421
07-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Anyone seen the trailer for 30 Minutes Or Less? Looks pretty funny, and I'll watch anything with Aziz Ansari.

Yes, it looks hysterical imo. I am pumped to see it.

Butcher of Birth
07-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Midnight in Paris was fucking incredible, best movie of the year so far (not that its competition is stiff).

The Tree of Life was beautiful to look at but tried awfully hard to be an all-encompassing treatise on life from the dawn of time to the present and failed terrifically.

Agreed on both points... This is my "rottentomatoes" review of Tree of Life.

This is the perfect case of people liking a movie just because people tell them to like it. It's one of those films where the director goes out of their way to be artful and profound, and it fails to come anywhere to even coherent. Quiet possible one of the worst films to come out in the past ten years. The only person who seemed to like it was a hipster boy who scoffed at me, "Well somebody didn't get it..." Last thought... Sean Penn is in the film for a whole 15 minutes, so now explain to me why this film is advertised with his face all over it? It's like putting Mr. Filch on all the Harry Potter movie posters.

0/5

SomewhereInTime72
07-23-2011, 11:09 AM
A 0 is harsh in my opinion because I did think it had a fair amount of good substance at parts. But it was basically an art film for people only pretending to 'get' art films. The message is so obvious and yet delivered in such an un-profound way that I was left wondering what the point of that movie was.

Didn't help that I saw the movie in downtown Manhattan in a tiny theater so at the end the entire audience was clapping hipsters proclaiming that it was "beautiful" and "deep." It was a movie I really wanted to like, but unfortunately ended up very nearly hating it. Easily the worst movie this year of movies I've actually bothered to see though. :bouville:

DethMaiden
07-23-2011, 11:34 AM
A 0 is harsh in my opinion because I did think it had a fair amount of good substance at parts. But it was basically an art film for people only pretending to 'get' art films. The message is so obvious and yet delivered in such an un-profound way that I was left wondering what the point of that movie was.

Didn't help that I saw the movie in downtown Manhattan in a tiny theater so at the end the entire audience was clapping hipsters proclaiming that it was "beautiful" and "deep." It was a movie I really wanted to like, but unfortunately ended up very nearly hating it. Easily the worst movie this year of movies I've actually bothered to see though. :bouville:

A 0 is way harsh. Cinematography is a big part of any movie, and this had the best I've ever seen.

Honestly, if I had stumbled upon The Tree of Life in an art gallery, I think I would have loved it, which bugs me. It's all about context. It was soooooo beautiful and sensory, but we expect a movie to be a certain thing, and it wasn't that thing. I dunno, it's really tearing me up thinking about it. :lol:

But Captain America was fucking awesome! :rocker:

powerslave_85
07-23-2011, 11:35 AM
But Captain America was fucking awesome! :rocker:I'm hearing that very consistently, which is good. Going to see it on Monday, can't wait.

Butcher of Birth
07-23-2011, 11:59 AM

Alright I'll give it a 1 ;) But I know what you are saying! It won best film at Cannes, had rave reviews, and it was all for nothing...

Butcher of Birth
07-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm hearing that very consistently, which is good. Going to see it on Monday, can't wait.

It was good! As far as Marvel films go, it was one of the better ones!

Butcher of Birth
07-23-2011, 12:01 PM
A 0 is way harsh. Cinematography is a big part of any movie, and this had the best I've ever seen.

Honestly, if I had stumbled upon The Tree of Life in an art gallery, I think I would have loved it, which bugs me. It's all about context. It was soooooo beautiful and sensory, but we expect a movie to be a certain thing, and it wasn't that thing. I dunno, it's really tearing me up thinking about it. :lol:

Cinematography is one thing, and I will say it was beautifully shot, but the rest of the components were shite.

ravenheart
07-23-2011, 04:40 PM
I miss going to see movies :(

ShatteredFlame
07-23-2011, 05:17 PM
But Captain America was fucking awesome! :rocker:

Agreed! And I don't even really like super hero movies.

this talk on The Tree of Life is reminding me of The Lovely Bones...which was one of the most frustrating movies I've ever seen :eyes:.

LAXdef16
07-23-2011, 07:33 PM
I saw Horrible Bosses last night and it was hilarious! Hopefully I can see Captain America sometime next week

mastodon421
07-24-2011, 07:27 AM
All this postive reception for Captain America might change my stance on seeing it. The trailers looked so fucking bad and I was really against seeing in the theater.

Last movie I saw was Horrible Bosses, it was completely hilarious. Easily the funniest movie of the year so far.

Butcher of Birth
07-24-2011, 09:34 AM
All this postive reception for Captain America might change my stance on seeing it. The trailers looked so fucking bad and I was really against seeing in the theater.

Go so it man, you would be surprised... Just don't expect it's gonna blow your mind lol

mastodon421
07-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Go so it man, you would be surprised... Just don't expect it's gonna blow your mind lol

lol I won't. My expectations are still pretty low.

ravenheart
07-24-2011, 04:39 PM
The full-length trailer for Rise of The Planet of The Apes was being played on the screens after every band on the main stage at High Voltage this weekend. Looked pretty decent, for an old plot-line and a 100% CGi monkey...

ravenheart
07-24-2011, 04:41 PM

I didn't think the trailers looked that bad at all.

Last movie I saw was Horrible Bosses, it was completely hilarious. Easily the funniest movie of the year so far.

Someone explain to me how having Jennifer Aniston as your nymphomaniac boss is at all "horrible".

DethMaiden
07-24-2011, 04:52 PM
The full-length trailer for Rise of The Planet of The Apes was being played on the screens after every band on the main stage at High Voltage this weekend. Looked pretty decent, for an old plot-line and a 100% CGi monkey...

That was my reaction. It's like, I want this movie to be awful because of what it is, but dammit if it doesn't look cool.

ShatteredFlame
07-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Someone explain to me how having Jennifer Aniston as your nymphomaniac boss is at all "horrible".

The character is a humble guy, is engaged and is really into starting a family. His friends do make fun of him for complaining about it though.

But yeah that movie was hilarious.

larvtard
07-25-2011, 08:22 PM
The Adjustment Bureau. Cool plot, not many twists though; pretty predictable; also a lame ending. 6.5/10

Unknown. Wow. Great movie. I love how they developed the plot twist at the end. Nice mix of action and suspense. 8.5/10

mastodon421
07-29-2011, 09:27 AM
I just watched Source Code and it was amazing. Currently, my 3rd favorite film of the year.

Butcher of Birth
07-31-2011, 12:22 AM
I just watched Source Code and it was amazing. Currently, my 3rd favorite film of the year.

I did like it a lot. A solid twist on a good story!

powerslave_85
08-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Souce Code was surprisingly good. Could have trimmed down that ending a bit, though.

My brother is going to be here this weekend and really wants to see Cowboys and Aliens, but I'll try to talk him into seeing Rise Of the Planet Of the Apes instead.

Anyone else see the trailer for Red Tails? It looks fucking awesome. It's about time we got 1.) a modern movie about WWII aerial combat 2.) something with Lucas' name on it that's not utter shit.

DethMaiden
08-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes was pretty good.

I've now seen 16 2011 movies, and if all but about three of them are in my year-end top ten, I'll have no problem saying this year sucked. I've seriously been going to the movies just for something to do way too much lately, everything I see is just passable.

jhdeity
08-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I can't believe how many laughs per minute Horrible Bosses had. The Hangover has more famous quotes but for me Horrible Bosses might be the best comedy I've seen in a long time. I liked The Hangover much more the 2nd time around (thought it overrated when I 1st saw it) and am thinking if Horrible Bosses got better thendtime around it would be one of my Top 10 or 15 comedies of all time. Charlie Day was off the charts funny and Jennifer Aniston actually entertained me for the 1st time EVER! hahaha

Dextrimental
08-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Fairly certain I am the only person here who has disliked Horrible Bosses :lol:

It honestly did very little for me beyond a few giggles, although Kevin Spacey was amazing as always!

The Guard, however, is dam fucking good, although its humor is VERY irish.

Next on the agenda is Super 8 and maybe Captain America, unless Captain America gets rave reviews.

powerslave_85
09-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Damn, Attack the Block was fucking great. Go see it if you have the chance.

TonyD
09-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I can't believe how many laughs per minute Horrible Bosses had. The Hangover has more famous quotes but for me Horrible Bosses might be the best comedy I've seen in a long time. I liked The Hangover much more the 2nd time around (thought it overrated when I 1st saw it) and am thinking if Horrible Bosses got better thendtime around it would be one of my Top 10 or 15 comedies of all time. Charlie Day was off the charts funny and Jennifer Aniston actually entertained me for the 1st time EVER! hahaha

Even if he gets typecast as Charlie, I can't wait to see him in more movies.

I ranked the movies I saw this summer, and I'm posting it here because I don't have anywhere else to, best to worst:
X Men
30 Minutes Or Less
Horrible Bosses
Super 8
Captain America -the last third or so kinda sucked
Planet of the Apes -better movie than Captain America but a little less entertaining
Hangover 2
Crazy Stupid Love -don't ask
Transformers 3 -only not last because of the robots
Bad Teacher -waste of my life, not to mad because I saw it in a double feature at the drive in

Still wanna see Pirates, Our Idiot Brother, Cowboys & Aliens and Thor

ravenheart
09-08-2011, 05:33 PM
I actually saw Rise of The Planet of The Apes last night. First 2011 movie I've seen, believe it or not. Actually, might be the first movie I've seen at a cinema since Inception...

Epidemic Reign
09-09-2011, 04:22 AM
What did you think of it? Personally, I thought it was quite entertaining and well-made, but more than anything it seems to serve as a foundation for future installments.

What I find even moreso interesting is that the newer release "Contagion" could very well have been a direct sequel to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" if the latter hadn't already been part of a legacy film franchise.

ravenheart
09-09-2011, 05:09 AM
I enjoyed it. I found it interesting that it finished far earlier than the beginning of the original is set, so I think there's definitely going to be a second prequel. I'm all for that.

DementedX14
09-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Contagion was fairly disappointing to say the least.

DethMaiden
09-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Drive was amazing. Can't recommend it enough.

Only film this year in remotely the same ballpark as Midnight in Paris, which I'd probably still give the slight edge to for my favorite movie of 2011.

hinder5050
09-18-2011, 10:20 PM
[/QUote]
Only film this year in remotely the same ballpark as Midnight in Paris, which I'd probably still give the slight edge to for my favorite movie of 2011.[/QUOTE]

what is midnight in paris about?

DethMaiden
09-19-2011, 07:10 AM
what is midnight in paris about?

Tough to sum up in a sentence. It's not about an American guy who goes back in time to the '20s in Paris and runs into celebrities of that era, but that's what happens in it. Can't recommend it enough.

ravenheart
09-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Tough to sum up in a sentence. It's not about an American guy who goes back in time to the '20s in Paris and runs into celebrities of that era, but that's what happens in it. Can't recommend it enough.

Oh, I thought that was the one about the guy obsessed with the Paris Hilton sex tape...

mastodon421
10-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Saw Moneyball today. Excellent film, one of the best of 2011 so far.

powerslave_85
10-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I saw it today and liked it. Drive is still my #1 of the year so far.

mastodon421
10-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I saw it today and liked it. Drive is still my #1 of the year so far.

I still need to see Drive. My current #1 is Fast Five:eyes:

DethMaiden
10-01-2011, 08:05 PM
I have a top 4 of things I really truly loved and it kind of tapers off after that:

1. Midnight in Paris
2. Drive
3. Moneyball
4. Rango

mastodon421
10-08-2011, 12:25 PM
50/50 was outfuckingstanding. Such an emotional, heartfelt, and hilarious movie. I really can't say enough good things about it. Best film I've seen this year and I really hope it gets some Oscar nominations.

dcmetal108
10-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Going to a Midnight screening for Human Centipede two tonight. Only one theater in IL has it and they are only doing 4 midnight showings of it.

It doesn't even carry a R rating. It just a 18+ showing.

powerslave_85
10-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Ides of March was good. Nothing earth-shattering, but the acting is great.

kommie
10-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Going to a Midnight screening for Human Centipede two tonight. Only one theater in IL has it and they are only doing 4 midnight showings of it.

It doesn't even carry a R rating. It just a 18+ showing.

why would you watch such crap movies like that?

dcmetal108
10-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I like over the top stupid gross movies.

Epidemic Reign
10-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I've heard the new Human Centipede is dreadful. Sounds like everything that was good about the first was thrown out the window for the sequel.

Epidemic Reign
10-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Word on the street is that new movie "Dream House" with Daniel Craig sucks HARD. Apparently the director tried to get his name detached from the film before it was released :lol:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/47820/jim-seheridan-wanted-out-his-dream-house-it-was-opened-public

powerslave_85
11-26-2011, 12:46 PM
I really loved Hugo. A great story, stunning set pieces and art direction, and easily the best use of 3D I've seen yet.

powerslave_85
11-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Also finally saw Midnight In Paris. Pretty solid. Marion Cotillard is just so charming.

DethMaiden
11-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Really need to see Hugo, and glad you dug Midnight in Paris.

My current top 5 with some big blind spots (Hugo, 50/50, The Skin I Live In, stuff that's not out yet):

1. Midnight in Paris
2. Drive
3. Martha Marcy May Marlene
4. Super 8
5. Moneyball

EDIT: And Nick, you really need to see MMMM. This year's Winter's Bone but Elizabeth Olsen's performance is ten times as tortured as Jennifer Lawrence's was.

powerslave_85
11-27-2011, 06:32 AM
Hmm, I'll check it out. I think you'll love Hugo, it's right up your alley.

dcmetal108
11-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I saw a special prescreening of Hugo in Sept. with some of the cast and crew and loved it.

Also note the muppets as one of my favorite movies this year.

powerslave_85
11-27-2011, 07:10 PM
I saw a special prescreening of Hugo in Sept. with some of the cast and crew and loved it.That's cool!

mastodon421
12-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Watched Attack The Block today. A lock for my top 10, fucking brilliant movie. It's pretty much Shaun Of The Dead with aliens.

SomewhereInTime72
12-21-2011, 03:50 AM
Seriously need to see Drive, fuck.

MPF
12-21-2011, 03:54 AM

Is that the porn version? :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
12-21-2011, 04:17 AM
:lol: :lol: Well, I'd watch that too if I liked the original enough. :eyes:

MPF
12-21-2011, 04:20 AM
:lol: :lol: Well, I'd watch that too if I liked the original enough. :eyes:

:lol:

But in all seriousness, I didn't realize this had Bryan Cranson AND Albert Brooks. I must watch this sometime soon.

mastodon421
12-21-2011, 05:43 AM

+1. It comes out on DVD January 31st, I will be Netflixing' it the first day it comes out.

AnthG
12-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Drive sucked.

DethMaiden
12-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Drive sucked.

Quick, justify this.

moobys37
12-21-2011, 09:06 AM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is fantastic. Beautifully shot, fantastically edited, Trent Reznor should probably win another Oscar for this score, Daniel Craig gives one of his best performances ever, and Rooney Mara. She deserves all of the acclaim that she'll receive for this film. She brings the Lisbeth Salander character to life in a way the Swedish films didn't. Personally, I feel it blows away the original film, even though they're not comparable in the sense of this being a remake of that film. Prepare yourself though, the rape scene is brutal and you should prepare yourself for pure discomfort. Also, best use of an Enya song ever. Highly recommended.

jd091
12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is fantastic. Beautifully shot, fantastically edited, Trent Reznor should probably win another Oscar for this score, Daniel Craig gives one of his best performances ever, and Rooney Mara. She deserves all of the acclaim that she'll receive for this film. She brings the Lisbeth Salander character to life in a way the Swedish films didn't. Personally, I feel it blows away the original film, even though they're not comparable in the sense of this being a remake of that film. Prepare yourself though, the rape scene is brutal and you should prepare yourself for pure discomfort. Also, best use of an Enya song ever. Highly recommended.

Backed so goddamn hard. Everything you said reflects my thoughts perfectly. I haven't seen the Swedish version, or even read the books yet for that matter, but Rooney Mara should be up for an Academy Award for that performance. I'm looking back at that movie trying to think of a way it could have been better... and I can't think of any. It's been a long time since I've been that satisfied with watching a movie in theaters. Movie prices are ridiculous nowadays, but I don't regret a cent I spent on that.