PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 of the 2000s, a year late

DethMaiden
01-19-2011, 10:40 AM
http://www.idsnews.com/blogs/weekendwatchers/?p=8390

For the blog of the entertainment weekly I edit. Shameless self-promo, but I'm interested to hear what some of you guys think of the list, and what your lists would look like.

ravenheart
01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Memento any lower than 1 = fail ;)

jhdeity
01-19-2011, 10:50 AM
That's funny. Memento is my #2 but No Country is my #1 by a mile. One of the 5 best movies ever made. There Will Be Blood had great acting but was rather boring to me. Might still creep into my Top 10.

ravenheart
01-19-2011, 10:51 AM
There Will Be Blood had great acting but was rather boring to me.

Precisely my view of No Country.

powerslave_85
01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
A rough draft of my list, not in any order (yet):

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
There Will Be Blood
The Dark Knight
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Shaun of the Dead
Up
District 9
High Fidelity
Inglourious Basterds
The Departed

ravenheart
01-19-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm fairly sure The Dark Knight, Memento, V For Vendetta and District 9 all make mine. After that I'm not sure.

DethMaiden
01-19-2011, 11:17 AM
No one's listing anything egregious. I loved everything both of you guys listed.

Admittedly, I wanted to count The Lord of the Rings Trilogy as one movie, and when I decided not to, I kinda just said fuck it to all three. Fellowship is possibly top ten material, but then I'd feel weird not including Return and to a lesser degree Towers.

powerslave_85
01-19-2011, 11:20 AM
On my list, ROTK is completely interchangeable with Fellowship. Both equally good IMO.

Also, it was pretty hard to pick one Pixar movie. I almost went with The Incredibles or WALL-E.

ravenheart
01-19-2011, 11:48 AM
I think 'The Devil's Rejects' would make mine too. I'm toying with 'Frost/Nixon' as well.

jhdeity
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
I know I'm in the minority but The Dark Knight would have a hard time making my Top 10. As great as Heath Ledger was, Christian Bale was absolutely horrible in that movie. He over acted in virtually every scene like he was trying to upstage Ledger and failed miserably. Maggie Gylenhall was so unbelieveable in that role that I just couldn't buy it for a minute. Katie Holmes is no 10 by any means but at least she was believeable in that role. The way Bale was talking and acting as Batman made it almost laughable that no one would know who he was. Loved him in American Psycho and Batman Begins but he was a total clown in TDK... pun intended.

Bored during No Country? Wow. The Coen brothers said more with silence than any movie I've ever seen. You could literally cut the tension with a knife

ravenheart
01-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Bored during No Country? Wow. The Coen brothers said more with silence than any movie I've ever seen. You could literally cut the tension with a knife

I was probably asleep during those moments ;) Seriously, I did not enjoy that movie at all. Massively, massively overrated.

DethMaiden
01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Now both of you have gone and said stupid things you can't take back. :(

ravenheart
01-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I'll do what I did with 'Collateral' and watch it again in five years, see if it's any better.

Dextrimental
01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I have not seen every movie on your list, so I will make it my mission to see them all over the coming days. After that I feel I need to re-evaluate my top ten movies of this decade. I know The Dark Knight will be one of them. After that, nothing is certain.

Also, off topic, but Brad, whats the longest gap between a movie and its sequel? Random discussion between myself and a friend, just though you would be the best person I know of to ask such a thing.

ravenheart
01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
I know Inception will be one of them, as will The Dark Knight. After that, nothing is certain.

They didn't come out in the same decade.

jhdeity
01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
I'll do what I did with 'Collateral' and watch it again in five years, see if it's any better.

Yeah I liked it even better the 2nd time around. Next time you're watching The Dark Knight really watch Bale. Oh and honestly say to yourself... Why would these guys be fighting over this soccer mom? hahahaha

Seriously if TDK didn't have "The trick" it might have been the most overrated movie of the decade.

Guess I have to watch Mulholland Drive again. It's been eons. Laura Harring was hot as hellfire in that flick

Dextrimental
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
They didn't come out in the same decade.

Sorted!

TonyD
01-19-2011, 03:37 PM
I was probably asleep during those moments ;) Seriously, I did not enjoy that movie at all. Massively, massively overrated.

I'm not a movie snob and I thought it was amazing.

idrinkwine732
01-19-2011, 03:51 PM
You could literally cut the tension with a knife

No. You couldn't.

That movie is great, but do not use literally like that.

Sepultura69
01-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Not in any order

Memento
No Country For Old Men
Mulholland Drive
The Mist
Shaun of The Dead
The Departed
21 Grams
Million Dollar Baby
Irreversible
OLD BOY :rocker:

mastodon421
01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Was I the only one that hated Mullholland Drive with a passion? Granted I am not a big fan of David Lynch's work, but the rest of his films I can understand the acclaim behind. I gotta disagree on The Devil's Rejects also, I thought it was decent, but not even close to best of the decade.

Anyways my top 10 for 2000-2009
10.28 Days Later
9.Donnie Darko
8.Knocked Up
7.Training Day
6.Snatch
5.Memento
4.Kill Bill Vol 1
3.The 40 Year Old Virgin
2.The Departed
1.Sin City

DethMaiden
01-19-2011, 07:09 PM
I have not seen every movie on your list, so I will make it my mission to see them all over the coming days. After that I feel I need to re-evaluate my top ten movies of this decade. I know The Dark Knight will be one of them. After that, nothing is certain.

Also, off topic, but Brad, whats the longest gap between a movie and its sequel? Random discussion between myself and a friend, just though you would be the best person I know of to ask such a thing.

Right on dude. :horns:

As to the sequel question, that's a good one. Wall Street and Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps might be my guess though, if we only consider sequels that were made by the original director or at least had his blessing. 23 years between those.

Guess I have to watch Mulholland Drive again. It's been eons. Laura Harring was hot as hellfire in that flick

Naomi Watts was a little bit hotter, but you're damn right. ;)

Not in any order

Memento
No Country For Old Men
Mulholland Drive
The Mist
Shaun of The Dead
The Departed
21 Grams
Million Dollar Baby
Irreversible

Awesome list, dude. :horns:

Was I the only one that hated Mullholland Drive with a passion? Granted I am not a big fan of David Lynch's work, but the rest of his films I can understand the acclaim behind. I gotta disagree on The Devil's Rejects also, I thought it was decent, but not even close to best of the decade.

You didn't like Mulholland Dr., eh?

Anyways my top 10 for 2000-2009
10.28 Days Later
9.Donnie Darko
8.Knocked Up
7.Training Day
6.Snatch
5.Memento
4.Kill Bill Vol 1
3.The 40 Year Old Virgin
2.The Departed
1.Sin City

Oh that's why.

EDIT: That came off mean. Sorry. But none of your favorite movies are exactly similar to Mulholland Dr., so I can understand why you didn't like it.

mankvill
01-19-2011, 07:18 PM
in no order:

Anchorman
40 Year Old Virgin
Talladega Nights
Knocked Up
Superbad
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Step Brothers
Pineapple Express
Old School
Get Him To The Greek

Maiden33
01-19-2011, 07:20 PM
in no order:

Anchorman
40 Year Old Virgin
Talladega Nights
Knocked Up
Superbad
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Step Brothers
Pineapple Express
Old School
Get Him To The Greek

:lol:
...I actually saw more of those than I didn't, which in itself is shocking to me.

Edit: And they actually almost entirely fall into 2 categories, either:
-"I actually really enjoyed it, even though logic tells me I shouldn't"
-"God damn it people, this is not funny"

mankvill
01-19-2011, 07:21 PM
;)

no but srsly, i'd have to think really hard and really long about this to make a good list.

ChildrenofSodom
01-19-2011, 07:33 PM
I pretty much only like comedies (good or bad, except the ___ Movie series), fantasy movies like LOTR, and comic book movies. Inception and Shutter Island were great, but not from that decade, so...whatever. And I don't have a list of 2000s films in front of me to list, and I'm not a film buff, so.....

I'd probably throw the Spongebob movie in there.

larvtard
01-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Man, I think I'm the only guy on the planet who's not a fan of the Coen brothers. I didn't laugh once during The Big Lebowski or Burn After Reading, I thought O Brother Art Thou was horrible. Fargo was pretty good, but kinda weird.

I'm not a huge fan of movies, though. I have a incredibly short attention span and I end up ditching movies after ten minutes or so if I don't get what's going on (usually the case).
ex: Mulholland Drive. I'm not a huge fan of mindfuck-style movies at all, though -- I never know what the hell's going on at all.

anyways, here are the movies I remembered liking A LOT from this decade, off the top off my head. No order:
-Donnie Darko
-The Departed
-40 Year-Old Virgin
-The Dark Knight
-Shooter
-Bruce Almighty
-Old School
-Dodgeball
-Anchorman
-Borat
-The Hangover
-Spiderman 1 & 2
-The Protector 1-3
-Crank

Sepultura69
01-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Man, I think I'm the only guy on the planet who's not a fan of the Coen brothers. I didn't laugh once during The Big Lebowski or Burn After Reading, I thought O Brother Art Thou was horrible... wait, nevermind, those are the only two movies I've seen by them. Maybe I'm thinking about some other "brothers." :eyes:

I didn't like Burn after reading but I thought it was good for the dollar I spent(I saw it at the local dollar theater by place). I love The Big Lebowski. I still remember like it was yesterday when my dad took me to the movie theaters to see it.:hmm:

Damn that was a long time ago...:hecho:

larvtard
01-19-2011, 07:54 PM
I didn't like Burn after reading but I thought it was good for the dollar I spent(I saw it at the local dollar theater by place). I love The Big Lebowski. I still remember like it was yesterday when my dad took me to the movie theaters to see it.:hmm:

Damn that was a long time ago...:hecho:

maybe I'm not a fan of their particular style of humor or something :hecho:

DethMaiden
01-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah, the Coens are my favorite directors of all time, and The Big Lebowski is my favorite movie of all time with Fargo possibly being my second. I guess they aren't as broadly appealing as dudes getting hit in the nuts and fart jokes or something, but I still think their humor is pretty accessible. Humor isn't their only game, of course, as No Country is one of the blackest (and best) movies of the last decade.

JRA
01-19-2011, 08:21 PM
True Grit would have been funnier if they had Cogburn randomly swearing. Not like tourette's syndrome just at the end of one of his rambling stories every 45 minute he just throws in a "and then one day I walked in on him fuckin his grandma!"

DethMaiden
01-19-2011, 08:23 PM
a) Wasn't aware it needed to be funnier.
b) And no, that wouldn't have been funnier.

Natrlhi
01-19-2011, 08:45 PM
a) Wasn't aware it needed to be funnier.
b) And no, that wouldn't have been funnier.This really made me :lol:.

powerslave_85
01-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Man, I think I'm the only guy on the planet who's not a fan of the Coen brothers. I didn't laugh once during The Big Lebowski or Burn After Reading, I thought O Brother Art Thou was horrible. Fargo was pretty good, but kinda weird.You're a horrible person.

Natrlhi
01-19-2011, 09:32 PM
You're a horrible person.Harsh? :lol:

ravenheart
01-20-2011, 01:43 AM
I'm not a movie snob and I thought it was amazing.

Me either, and I didn't.

ravenheart
01-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Man, I think I'm the only guy on the planet who's not a fan of the Coen brothers. I didn't laugh once during The Big Lebowski or Burn After Reading, I thought O Brother Art Thou was horrible. Fargo was pretty good, but kinda weird.

You're not entirely alone, but I'm not convinced by them at all. I haven't seen Burn After Reading. I've seen O Brother Where Art Thou, but I honestly don't remember it at all. Didn't like No Country For Old Men. Don't mind The Big Lebowski. Liked Fargo. That really doesn't add up to much of a recommendation.

And I don't like their influence on movies at all. You've now got other directors trying to mimic that kind of dark, cleverer-than-thou "humour", unsuccessfully. 'The Men Who Stare At Goats', 'What Just Happened' and so forth are fucking awful.

jhdeity
01-20-2011, 05:54 AM
With so many people liking comedies i'm surprised no one liked Waiting as much as I did. I laughed so many times during that movie and even though I prefer darker comedy I lost my mind every time someone did the BATWING!

I have to watch it again to see if it stands the test of time but the fact that I haven't seen Badder Santa on any lists is a FAIL of major proportions also. I would debate that movie as one of the 3 best comedies ever made.

It's funny Animal House is probably known as one of the funniest movies ever and it didn't stand the test of time to me. It's cool as hell, but it's not laugh out loud funny. Badder Santa actually makes me laugh harder every time I watch it.

mastodon421
01-20-2011, 06:09 AM
On the topic of The Coen Brothers, I love them, they are among my favorite directors of all time. No Country For Old Men is in my top 100 faves of all time and Fargo just misses the cut. They made a lot of great films. The only one of their movies (that I have seen, there is about 5-6 I haven't seen) that I didn't like was Burn After Reading. I actually need to rewatch The Big Lebowski, I haven't seen in it forever.

Waiting... is pretty funny, but I don't really consider it to be a comedy classic by any means. Same With Bad Santa, funny, but not an all time classic, imo.

ravenheart
01-20-2011, 06:43 AM
the fact that I haven't seen Badder Santa on any lists is a FAIL of major proportions also. I would debate that movie as one of the 3 best comedies ever made.

"Badder Santa" was never released here as a separate title. We only have "Bad Santa", but what I don't know is if our DVD version of "Bad Santa" is actually the "Badder Santa" cut, just with the original name. Anyone know?

EDIT: Apparently we also had "Bad Santa: The Uncensored Version", which is now out of print. Only the standard version remains in print.

I haven't heard of 'Waiting'. Must have been on a fairly limited release here. The premise sounds stupid and it's got Anna Farris in it, who is generally an indication that a movie is dumb slapstick bullshit, so I'm going to need a LOT of convincing that it's worth my time...

jhdeity
01-20-2011, 07:25 AM
"Badder Santa" was never released here as a separate title. We only have "Bad Santa", but what I don't know is if our DVD version of "Bad Santa" is actually the "Badder Santa" cut, just with the original name. Anyone know?

EDIT: Apparently we also had "Bad Santa: The Uncensored Version", which is now out of print. Only the standard version remains in print.

I haven't heard of 'Waiting'. Must have been on a fairly limited release here. The premise sounds stupid and it's got Anna Farris in it, who is generally an indication that a movie is dumb slapstick bullshit, so I'm going to need a LOT of convincing that it's worth my time...

This is the kind of humor in Waiting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPS77dpwgaw

Along with a zillion dick jokes and nazi-lesbian secenes. It's kind of an Americal pie rip-off but for some reason I couldn't stop laughing. The dick game and seeing what they do to your food when you send it back was funny and educational at the same time. It helps that I was expecting a 2 or 3 and got an 8 or 9 also. I really want to watch it again now and see if the "goat" scene is as funny as I remember. I barely remember Anna Farris in it actually. I think she just played her stereotypical role while people busted jokes on her.

I always considered Clerks the best comedy ever made but Badder Santa might have surpassed it this year. I'll have to watch both again along with 40 year old Virgin just to see if my Top 3 is still intact.

I wish I knew the difference in Bad Santa's but I don't remember the additional "You're not going to shit right for a week" scene in the original.

mastodon421
01-20-2011, 07:35 AM

It's the same cut we have over here, it's just a slightly different title in the States.

powerslave_85
01-20-2011, 07:53 AM
I can safely say this is the first time I've heard someone bring up Bad Santa in the "best comedies ever" discussion :eyes:

Natrlhi
01-20-2011, 07:54 AM
BAD SANTA FUCKING RULES.

DethMaiden
01-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Best comedies ever is tough. The Coens stuff that can be called true comedies are all at the very top for me, Tommy Boy is by far the cream of the '90s Sandler-Spade-Farley-Carrey crop, and Christopher Guest movies are always terrific.

Never seen Bad Santa, but it's in my Netflix queue thanks to jhdeity's endorsement. ;)

Natrlhi
01-20-2011, 08:56 AM
"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with Steve Martin and Michael Caine is priceless. "The Jerk" is awesome as well.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is a classic - I watch it several times during the holiday season every year, and a few times throughout the year as well.

---------

Regarding Coen Brothers, it's a crying fucking shame that none of you - not even B-Rad - has mentioned "Blood Simple". That shit is classic, son. Classic.

(EDIT: Not to mention "A Serious Man", "The Ladykillers", "Intolerable Cruelty", "The Man Who Wasn't There", "Barton Fink", "Miller's Crossing" and "Raising Arizona")

powerslave_85
01-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Most of the best comedies that would make my list would be from the 70's and 80's: Caddyshack, Airplane!, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Ghostbusters, etc.

Natrlhi
01-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Most of the best comedies that would make my list would be from the 70's and 80's: Caddyshack, Airplane!, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Ghostbusters, etc.:party: "Caddyshack" and "Airplane!" are classics. "Blazing Saddles" was a classic too, but it's so blatantly racist I can't watch it anymore without getting a case of the heebie jeebies. As far as "Ghostbusters", I'd rather watch Bill Murray in "Stripes" or Dan Aykroyd riff with Chevy Chase in "Spies Like Us". Speaking of Chevy Chase, my friend and I used to watch "Fletch" so much we almost had the whole fucking script memorized. ...and speaking of memorization, can almost quote the script of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" for you right here and now. :lol:

JRA
01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I didn't laugh once during Blazing Saddles.

DethMaiden
01-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Definitely kicking myself for not mentioning Holy Grail. It's my second favorite comedy after Lebowski.

JRA
01-20-2011, 09:18 AM
I gotta say, Holy Grail definitely holds up. Its a movie where after the first time you see it, you absolutely love it and can't wait to see it again. Then you see it a second time, and a third time, and fourth time, and so on and so on and so on until you get to the point where it seems to be on everywhere and you are glued to it against your will and then you never want to see it again.

Well it was on TV over Christmas break and having nothing better to do, I watched it. And like I said before, even after all that, it's still a great comedy.

Natrlhi
01-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Definitely kicking myself for not mentioning Holy Grail.Here, let me help you with that:

Nat :nutkick: Brad

:D

powerslave_85
01-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Yeah, parts of Blazing Saddles are pretty cringe-worthy now, but I think it still holds up.

"Mongo just pawn in game of life."

"They said you was hung!"
"And they was right!"

Plus the wonderfully bizarre meta ending.

Dextrimental
01-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Right on dude. :horns:

As to the sequel question, that's a good one. Wall Street and Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps might be my guess though, if we only consider sequels that were made by the original director or at least had his blessing. 23 years between those.

Hmmm, I was thinking of that one alright. Tron Legacy came to mind as well. We couldn't come to a definitive conclusion though, considering we were also discussing whether a sequel is a continuation of the story, or a continuation of the story, but also handled, overlooked by, or at least had the blessing of the original Director/Creator.

DethMaiden
01-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Ah, completely forgot that one, maybe because they're awful movies. ;)

Dextrimental
01-20-2011, 10:24 AM
I haven't seen Tron Legacy yet, but I have a funny feeling my waiting to download a dvdrip will be justified haha.

On the comedies front, Blazing Saddles, Holy Grail and Life of Brian are probably my favorites, with a healthy powdering of Little Nicky, Ace Ventura and Liar Liar as well. I am a big Jim Carrey fan ;)

Natrlhi
01-20-2011, 11:51 AM
...Little Nicky, Ace Ventura and Liar Liar...I am a big Jim Carrey fan ;):lol: Little Nicky was an abomination, man. Seriously.

I like most of Jim Carrey's stuff as well. "Me, Myself and Irene" was awesome, but the best Carrey movie by far has to be "Dumb and Dumber". That film is a fucking classic. :bowdown:

(Ace and Liar were pretty good, too, though. :fist:)

ChildrenofSodom
01-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Again, most of the films you guys are mentioning (all Coen movies except Big Lebowski, Airplane/Caddyshack/all those 80s movies) I've never seen. My family never watched movies, so I guess I have them to blame for no exposure.

I do really like the Judd Apatow films, except Funny People. Forgetting Sarah Marshall was good (Get Him to the Greek sucked).

Natrlhi
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Here are some more I just thought of:

My Cousin Vinny
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Road Trip

JRA
01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
:lol: Little Nicky was an abomination, man. Seriously.

I like most of Jim Carrey's stuff as well. "Me, Myself and Irene" was awesome, but the best Carrey movie by far has to be "Dumb and Dumber". That film is a fucking classic. :bowdown:

Liar Liar was fucking atrocious. I'd rather watch Blazing Saddles than that piece of shit ever again, because at least with that movie I'd get a false sense of security that I'm learning something about cinema comedy.

Both Ace Ventura movies fucking rule though.

Natrlhi
01-20-2011, 01:10 PM
The first Ace Ventura movie fucking rules though.Fixed. ;)

(Especially because it has Cannibal Corpse in it. :rocker:)

mastodon421
01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
To weigh in on the comedy discussion, my all time faves are(in no particular order):
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Airplane!
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Knocked Up
Superbad
Anchorman
This Is Spinal Tap
Half Baked
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle
Office Space

ravenheart
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure I could do an all time comedies list. In movies I just find most comedies to be stupid. Not so much in TV shows, but definitely in movies.

Dextrimental
01-20-2011, 03:36 PM
:lol: Little Nicky was an abomination, man. Seriously.

I like Little Nicky haha, not entirely sure why, but those early Adam Sandler movies, like Little Nicky and Water Boy, they just have such a strange charm to me. Not a Big Daddy fan though! And Dumb and Domber, no idea how I forgot that, its fucking timeless, such a shame they had to ruin its heritage with sequels!

As I said, I LOVE Jim Carreys work.

larvtard
01-20-2011, 05:01 PM
I guess they aren't as broadly appealing as dudes getting hit in the nuts and fart jokes or something, but I still think their humor is pretty accessible.

Are you implying I only like toilet humor and the like? :tp:

I actually really like witty, intelligent humor, especially dark/black humor ("Catch-22" is the funniest book of all time, BTW).

What kind of humor is Big Lebowski/Burn After Reading? Whatever it was, I didn't get it.

DethMaiden
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure I could do an all time comedies list. In movies I just find most comedies to be stupid. Not so much in TV shows, but definitely in movies.

This is a weird phenomenon but totally true of me too. I don't care for comedy films most of the time but with TV I almost exclusively like comedy. Maybe it's because most funny things can stay funny for 22-30 minutes but rarely 90+?

I like certain stand up a lot, too, but that's an entirely different category.

Are you implying I only like toilet humor and the like? :tp:

I actually really like witty, intelligent humor, especially dark/black humor ("Catch-22" is the funniest book of all time, BTW).

What kind of humor is Big Lebowski/Burn After Reading? Whatever it was, I didn't get it.

Took the words right out of my mouth. ;)

powerslave_85
01-20-2011, 07:48 PM
("Catch-22" is the funniest book of all time, BTW).Now that I can agree with.

Natrlhi
01-20-2011, 09:53 PM
To weigh in on the comedy discussion, my all time faves are(in no particular order):
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Airplane!
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Knocked Up
Superbad
Anchorman
This Is Spinal Tap
Half Baked
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle
Office SpaceThe Nat approves. :horns:

ravenheart
01-21-2011, 01:43 AM
This is a weird phenomenon but totally true of me too. I don't care for comedy films most of the time but with TV I almost exclusively like comedy. Maybe it's because most funny things can stay funny for 22-30 minutes but rarely 90+?

I like certain stand up a lot, too, but that's an entirely different category.

I watch an awful lot of drama etc. too with regards to TV. But in terms of there are far more comedies I like than there are comedy movies.

Stand-up I'm all over. Comedy clubs in London are awesome, and a LOT of comedians tour regularly here. At the moment I hate all of the most popular comedians on the circuit though. That's just the way it's turned out. The ones I don't like are the ones who have made it. But that's fine, because they're off playing arenas, and comedy blows in arenas, which leaves the theatres and clubs free for comedians I actually like.

zgodt
01-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Not in any order

Memento
No Country For Old Men
Mulholland Drive
The Mist
Shaun of The Dead
The Departed
21 Grams
Million Dollar Baby
Irreversible

I'm not sure it would make my top ten for the decade, but The Mist is fucking crazy. Like, I have to tell people at the bar about it years later kinda crazy. I'm still not even sure whether I think the ending is brilliant or a cheap trick.

In other (thread-related) news, Life of Brian > Holy Grail. Just sayin'.

Sepultura69
01-22-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure it would make my top ten for the decade, but The Mist is fucking crazy. Like, I have to tell people at the bar about it years later kinda crazy. I'm still not even sure whether I think the ending is brilliant or a cheap trick.

Honestly, I never even bothered watching "The Mist" when it was in theaters. I thought it looked lame and stupid from watching the commercials, "OH WOW, SPOOKY MIST, LAME"...

But then 2 years ago my roommate showed me it on dvd, telling me how awesome and fucked up the movie is.

Long story short......I fell in love with it. I thought it was the greatest horror movie I had ever seen in a really long time. I just loved everything about it. Especially the way it ends. I didn't think it was a cheap trick....I personally did NOT see that coming AT ALL.... I still stand by my word and think its one of the best Films(At least horror)in the last ten years..:hecho: