Vicarious
Eon Blue Apocalypse--The Patient
Flood
Schism :finger2:
Lateralus/Orion w/Kirk Hammett!!!!
46&2
Third Eye
Stinkfist

i like alot of this. stopped the predictability of ending with Aenema, and also nice to get it out of the way early since it's really overplayed. Really cool they're still playing Third Eye, hopefully that will stay when they do US dates this summer or fall, as every Tool fan needs to see that live (I haven't).

Schism NEEDS TO GO. I understand it being in the set for these dates in Hawaii and Australia, but it needs to be gone the next time they tour the States and Europe. Fuck the casual fans, there's plenty of other "hits" that they want to hear in it's place (Sober, Prison Sex, The Pot).

Obviously the highlight is that Lateralus performance interspliced with a good chunk of Orion with Kirk coming out to play and solo on. They apparently worked on that for an hour in soundcheck. I would have flipped out to get a surprise like that.

Maynard didn't send the big climax ending of Vicarious. Guess he can't handle it. Pretty lame, but par for the course with him live nowadays.

Still a short set, but that's what they do now. Similar bands like NIN & Radiohead will really give you your money's worth and played for upwards of two hours in a headlining show, but Tool still mails it in with 90 minutes if you're lucky. Apparently they're only playing for 75 minutes on Big Day Out. Oh well, Maynard's heart hasn't been in it for years, it's been pretty obvious.

I also hate how many long songs they play nowadays, when they could remove one 6+ minute song and throw in two short kickass track from Opiate or Undertow.

But, considering how much a Tool live show has devolved recently, this is great overall and it's great that Hawaii, who doesnt get many cool shows, got such a unique show.

Indestructible
01-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Tool really needs to start doing longer sets. Even if they just do the regular 15-18 song sets every band is doing now. They could definetly get rid of Third Eye. I know I might get shit for that, but I'm not a fan of Third Eye like other Tool fans. Still good for ten songs.

Indestructible
01-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Cold and Ugly and Sober would be cool to hear.

bobbie solo
01-15-2011, 10:11 PM
of course they would. Take it up with Maynard, the most difficult and unenthusiastic frontman in heavy music.

maidenpriest
01-15-2011, 10:22 PM
i have nothing against Schism, i thought it was one of the best songs of the show when i saw them in 09. and i dont consider myself a casual fan. i do agree that they should play longer, and that Sober needs to be played more often (its my favorite Tool song)

Indestructible
01-15-2011, 10:24 PM
If Tool wants to do a long song 10minutes + they should play Rosetta Stoned.
I'm glad they are doing Flood. They should also do Sober and Parabola. Nothing wrong with Schism.
It sucks, it would be cool to see Tool live, but I wouldn't see them because their sets are so short.

maidenpriest
01-15-2011, 10:26 PM
they had been doing rosetta stoned for awhile until recently, the song isn't my favorite but the laser show was pretty damn epic! I would much rather hear Third Eye over it though. and agreed about Sober and Parabola

bobbie solo
01-15-2011, 10:43 PM
If Tool wants to do a long song 10minutes + they should play Rosetta Stoned.
I'm glad they are doing Flood. They should also do Sober and Parabola. Nothing wrong with Schism.
It sucks, it would be cool to see Tool live, but I wouldn't see them because their sets are so short.

see, the thing here is that you havent seen Tool, so checking out Schism makes sense. But alot of us diehards have seen them many times, and the song hasn't left the setlist EVER since it came out.

Rosetta Stoned is barely even a song. Glad that's been removed.

Flood live is badass, but again, they draw it out unnecessarily with a long intro that takes away from the time they could be giving us more material.

the biggest timewasters are all the unnecessary droney segues and interludes. they want to set a mood, but its a copout and they go on for over 5 minutes at a time. We want SONGS, especially at $80 a ticket or more. I won't see them again until they put more effort into the music side of their shows (the stage show/lighting etc is top notch). Again, this all falls on Maynard. the rest of the guys aren't held back, they've eluded as much in interviews. Plus, they've been working on the music side of a new album for years now....hmm, guess who's holding up the process?

Dextrimental
01-15-2011, 11:13 PM
All I want from Tool live is, well, Tool themselves, and Right In Two, my favorite Tool song. Also, Nine Inch Nails can suck my left nut for putting on two hour plus shows, I seen them in Ireland on their Wave Goodbye tour and they gave us and hour and ten minutes co-headlining with Janes Addiction.. As good as it was, thats WEAK for a headliner.

Indestructible
01-15-2011, 11:25 PM
see, the thing here is that you havent seen Tool, so checking out Schism makes sense. But alot of us diehards have seen them many times, and the song hasn't left the setlist EVER since it came out.

Rosetta Stoned is barely even a song. Glad that's been removed.

Flood live is badass, but again, they draw it out unnecessarily with a long intro that takes away from the time they could be giving us more material.

the biggest timewasters are all the unnecessary droney segues and interludes. they want to set a mood, but its a copout and they go on for over 5 minutes at a time. We want SONGS, especially at $80 a ticket or more. I won't see them again until they put more effort into the music side of their shows (the stage show/lighting etc is top notch). Again, this all falls on Maynard. the rest of the guys aren't held back, they've eluded as much in interviews. Plus, they've been working on the music side of a new album for years now....hmm, guess who's holding up the process?
They make the intro to Flood longer than the four minutes that it is? That I wouldn't mind because I would expect that.

$80 for tickets. I wouldn't see Tool unless I was somehow able to get in for free.

bobbie solo
01-15-2011, 11:33 PM
All I want from Tool live is, well, Tool themselves, and Right In Two, my favorite Tool song. Also, Nine Inch Nails can suck my left nut for putting on two hour plus shows, I seen them in Ireland on their Wave Goodbye tour and they gave us and hour and ten minutes co-headlining with Janes Addiction.. As good as it was, thats WEAK for a headliner.

i hear you on Right in Two. My favorite newer Tool song by far. One of the most epic songs from a band who specializes in epic songs.

Trent admitted doing the co-headlining shows with Janes was a mistake, especially having them end the night. He did it that way b/c he's a huge fan of the band, and was working with them on new material until they all started hating each other again as usual, and Perkins peaced out again.

Other than the NINJA shows, NIN has almost always played 2 hours or more if they were headlining. Festivals, not always. But considering Tool is headling the entire Big Day Out festival tour, i dont think u can just blame the promoter considering Tool hasnt play long sets in over a decade.

sarsip
01-16-2011, 01:45 AM
Last time I saw Tool I fell asleep. What do you expect when you follow Mesuggah!

Sepultura69
01-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Last time I saw Tool I fell asleep. What do you expect when you follow Mesuggah!

COOL STORY BRO

Sepultura69
01-16-2011, 02:11 AM
I wish Tool played "3rd Eye" when I saw them back in 2006 in hollywood :(

I remember I kept screaming for them to play third eye through out the entire night :(

I remember Maynard said he wasn't feeling good that night....something about the shitty L.A weather fucking his throat up:confused:

Dextrimental
01-16-2011, 02:12 AM
i hear you on Right in Two. My favorite newer Tool song by far. One of the most epic songs from a band who specializes in epic songs.

Trent admitted doing the co-headlining shows with Janes was a mistake, especially having them end the night. He did it that way b/c he's a huge fan of the band, and was working with them on new material until they all started hating each other again as usual, and Perkins peaced out again.

Other than the NINJA shows, NIN has almost always played 2 hours or more if they were headlining. Festivals, not always. But considering Tool is headling the entire Big Day Out festival tour, i dont think u can just blame the promoter considering Tool hasnt play long sets in over a decade.

Yeah, this was a NINJA show at a festival, still seemed like a cop out. And true, if its just them, they have control over it. Tool have always seemed like an album band to me anyway, but the live shows matter alot more nowadays.

ShatteredFlame
01-16-2011, 06:39 AM
The Patient, Flood, and Third Eye are great. But yeah, I have really lost interest in seeing Tool live again. Last time I saw them was at a summer festival in 09 and it was fucking bad. There were unknown indie acts that I enjoyed more.

adamclark52
01-16-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm a fan but I've never seen Tool and I doubt I ever will, only because there are too many johnny-come-lately fans in Toronto. They are huge here when the album or tour comes around, then there's a three or four year lull in between when everyone moves onto whoever else is popular, then the tour comes back around and everyone is all of a sudden a huge Tool fan again.

That and they'd never play my personal favorite song; Ticks & Leeches

ShatteredFlame
01-16-2011, 08:31 AM
That and they'd never play my personal favorite song; Ticks & Leeches

I'm with you on that one dude. That song is their best and they won't play it because Maynard doesn't want to hurt his throat :bouville:. Makes me appreciate vocalists like Martin Van Drunen more.

El Gordo
01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
It's funny, I threw on Aenima in the car yesterday and thought how I haven't listened to Tool in ages. Then I started thinking about how they're probably due for a tour soon and deciding whether I'd want to go. My wife will want to go so that means I'll be going, but I really haven't enjoyed a Tool concert in a long fucking time. Always the same damn thing... absolutely no movement on stage, big screen with a bunch of trippy shit going on, total ignoring of Undertow songs (except for the occasional rendition of 'Sober'). I mean, I understand that they want to let the music speak for itself, but for $80+ for a ticket, show your fans that you give shit and get into it a little... am I right?

jd091
01-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Third Eye live would be amazing! You are one lucky man.

bobbie solo
01-16-2011, 11:33 AM
they are horribly boring on stage....very little movement or interaction as said. That is, except for Danny Carey. Watching him destroy the kit on songs like 46&2 just barely makes up for the rest of the band.

velvetgrass
01-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Nice to see Kirk Hammett guesting with them again! But, they need to bring "Eulogy" and/or "Swamp Song" back into their setlists in my opinion. "Sober" would be nice to hear again too.

Indestructible
01-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Tool doesn't have to move around that much ,they just have to play more than 10 songs or lower their ticket prices, because no one should have to pay $80 to see a headlining band play only 10 songs.

The_jman
01-16-2011, 01:19 PM
10 songs is way too short for a headlining set... Unless you're Opeth, and then its like 3 hours and its pretty awsome.

jhdeity
01-16-2011, 02:41 PM
I would go see Tool anywhere playing any set. I never considered myself a fanboy of anyone but after seeing how some people are on here about Maiden I probably would have to at least consider myself a fanboy of Tool. I would have no problem with this setlist but agree with 90% of the comments. Maynard is really fucking compelling on stage though.

Personally I want to see Jerk-off live again. I saw Tool on the Opiate Tour and I got way too drunk in anticipation and barely remember Jerk-off, Bottom & Opiate at the end. Actually those 3 in place of 3rd eye would be awesome. I really like 3rd eye but throw in in a medley with Eulogy and Hooker for god's sake jsut to mix it up.

marker
01-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I think they are worth the money.I saw them last July in L.A. and it was awesome.Can't remember how many songs they played,but it turned out being over 1 1/2hr. And yes Maynard is boring,always staying towards the back of the stage.The show and experience is still awesome,the video screens are sick and they are great musicians.I would pay to see them again,if you are thinking about checking them out,go.The set list could be better,but at least I got to hear Intolerance at my show.Not enough older songs,I agree.

Benjamin Breeg
01-17-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm seeing them Monday and i'd love to hear Ticks And Leeches :rocker:

velvetgrass
01-18-2011, 07:38 AM
I know earlier in this thread I was complaining a little bit about songs I would like to see in Tool's setlist. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't see them live. Tool is my 5th favorite band and since I like a LOT of bands, that's pretty damn high. Anyways, I would definitely see Tool if they came to Wisconsin or Illinois on their next U.S. tour, if tickets were more in the $50 range. Just wanted to clarify that since some people here are saying they wouldn't see Tool live because of the setlist.

toolfansat
01-18-2011, 11:04 AM
As you can tell from my username, I am a huge Tool fan, but I have to admit the last couple of times they came thru my area I was disappointed. Seeing the same songs over and over and over gets tedious... I would love to see them shake things up a bit! I mean look how crazy everyone gets if they throw just ONE rare song into a set - imagine a whole set like that! Although, I don't think T&L will ever be in there, since Maynard has pretty much said so - he blew his voice out singing that one a couple of times so it's out.

velvetgrass
01-18-2011, 11:18 AM
As you can tell from my username, I am a huge Tool fan, but I have to admit the last couple of times they came thru my area I was disappointed. Seeing the same songs over and over and over gets tedious... I would love to see them shake things up a bit! I mean look how crazy everyone gets if they throw just ONE rare song into a set - imagine a whole set like that! Although, I don't think T&L will ever be in there, since Maynard has pretty much said so - he blew his voice out singing that one a couple of times so it's out.

Yeah, I doubt that too. They only did it live 8 times and I thought I read that there was some heavy distortion effect on Maynard's voice those couple times that the song was performed so it wouldn't effect his voice as badly.

jd091
01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
10 songs is way too short for a headlining set... Unless you're Opeth, and then its like 3 hours and its pretty awsome.

:lol:

This!

velvetgrass
01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
An audience recording of this show surfaced-
http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/details.php?id=37550

Skinny Juice
01-18-2011, 07:20 PM
I was actually at the show and wanted to write a fresh post review from someone who was in attendance. But looks like most of you just naysay and could care less anyway. Whatever....

bobbie solo
01-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm seeing them Monday and i'd love to hear Ticks And Leeches :rocker:

you won't. ever. lame.

Natrlhi
01-19-2011, 09:43 AM
I was going to say that that gig with Kirk Hammett must have been cool as balls, but I don't know if I'd want anybody interrupting my favorite Tool song, even if it were something as awesome as Kirk Hammett playing Orion.

Also, I understand what some people are saying about Schism. I disagree, but I understand where you're coming from. If we're gonna lose an old track that has been played out, though...what about Stinkfist? I'd rather see that one go than Schism, personally. Not to mention closing with it? Really!?! That would have had me scratching my head for sure.

I still would have left happy, though. Some live Tool is always better than none. Y'all haters need to fucking relax already.

HugeRockStar
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Man, Tool fans bitch a lot lol. I thought it was a good setlist and would love to see it.

El Gordo
01-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Here's footage of the Lateralus/Orion performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYqPcCHMz98

Definitely not as cool as I had hoped, but still mildly bad-ass.

jhdeity
01-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Definitely not as cool as I had hoped, but still mildly bad-ass.

I'm more impressed with the video quality of the iphone. Dayum!

bobbie solo
01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
it's just embarrassing to see what their peers are doing live, and they can't be bothered to be on stage for the better part of an hour sometimes, and then alot of that time gets eaten up with pointless interlude noise so their dumb Phish-like fans can trip out. It sucks being such a big Tool fan, but also a big Metallica, Radiohead & NIN fan, where those bands regularly push past 2 hours. you cant even compare the live aspect, it's not close. give the people's their money's worth. You have an extensive catalogue, and don't tour alot. let us hear the songs, fuck setting a mood.

Natrlhi
01-19-2011, 09:07 PM

Definitely not as cool as I had hoped, but still mildly bad-ass.Yeah, I was right. That basically sucked. There has to be a better way to get Hammett to join them on stage for a mini-jam session than to ruin Tool's best song by putting another song in the middle of it which sounds totally fucking different. Granted, they probably didn't have much time to brainstorm and rehearse, but sheesh.

jhdeity
01-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Yeah, I was right. That basically sucked. There has to be a better way to get Hammett to join them on stage for a mini-jam session than to ruin Tool's best song by putting another song in the middle of it which sounds totally fucking different. Granted, they probably didn't have much time to brainstorm and rehearse, but sheesh.

Yeah I was expecting the heavy part or the last 4 minutes and it's like they made it another interlude. I didn't have a problem with it on paper since I love Orion but it didn't work.

JLRedWing13
01-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Gah I hope this is the year I get to see Tool.

maxell0405
01-21-2011, 07:47 AM
I think there is not so much hate going on as there is frustration among the Tool faithful, myself included, that we are still waiting for a new record while Tool does these minitours like the summer 09 and 2010 tours and they play a short-ish set that looks and sounds too much like 10,000 Days. The shows I saw then were amazing, but I saw them already.

Much as I love Tool, I don't want them to play do-over gigs when I think they should be working on the next record, goddammit. So we're all just horny and these shows are teases. Like some incredibly hot woman who flirts with you for an hour and then won't close the deal.

It's ironic, since Tool is so noncommercial for a multiplatinum band, yet they seem like, dare I say it, they are playing gigs for the money. And if they must do tours like these, where they are playing to the faithful core, at least mix it up and play some stuff we haven't heard live in a long time.

All indications are that there will be a new record, sometime. When that record is done and Tool tours to support it, I will be there, cash in hand, but I'm not going to another Tool concert until then.