PDA

View Full Version : The Metal-Archives top 20 of 2010

El Gordo
01-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Not an official Top 20 by any means, but this site (https://pub.needlebase.com/actions/visualizer/V2Visualizer.do?domain=Metal-Index) has put together a whole bunch of stats to do with the Encyclopaedia Metallum including the top albums based on average rating. An amusing read if nothing else:

Top 20 of 2010, minimum 7 reviews, average score follows the album name:

1. Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones - 93.0
2. Overkill - Ironbound - 91.7
3. Alcest - Ecailles de lune - 90.2
4. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit - 89.8
5. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini - 87.5
6. Burzum - Belus - 86.8
7. Forgive Me - Last Drop of Life - 85.7
7. Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - 85.7
9. White Wizzard - Over the Top - 85.3
10. Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons - 84.7
11. Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time - 84.6
12. Decrepit Birth - Polarity - 84.4
13. Immolation - Majesty and Decay - 83.5
14. Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony - 82.8
15. Troll - Neo-Satanic Supremacy - 82.7
16. Fear Factory - Mechanize - 82.5
17. Finntroll - Nifelvind - 82.4
18. Cradle of Filth - Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa - 82.3
19. Drudkh - Handful of Stars - 82.1
19. Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - 82.1

JRA
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Wow, I'm surprised Darkthrone made it so high, considering all they did was troll their fans this year.

jhdeity
01-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Another list that totally disregarded High on Fire and Deftones. I guess these guys are butt buddies with Bloody Knuckles. Darkthrone in the top 10 of any list is hilarious to me. Top 50 maybe...

I'm also shocked to see a cd in teh Top 10 that I haven't heard. I listened to over 275 cd's now from 2010 and Forgive Me wasn't one of them. I guess I need to check out to see if it's better than Snakes for the Divine. hahaha

jhdeity
01-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Actually that's a pretty cool site though. When I clicked Best or 2010 I got a different list. Snakes was 43rd and Athiest was 70th. That kinda made me laugh. If you can find 69 better cd's than Jupiter then you are truly a metal master. hahaha

JRA
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Another list that totally disregarded High on Fire and Deftones. I guess these guys are butt buddies with Bloody Knuckles. Darkthrone in the top 10 of any list is hilarious to me. Top 50 maybe...

I'm also shocked to see a cd in teh Top 10 that I haven't heard. I listened to over 275 cd's now from 2010 and Forgive Me wasn't one of them. I guess I need to check out to see if it's better than Snakes for the Divine. hahaha

the reason High On Fire didn't make it is because one asshole gave the album a 40. :mad: If that guy's review wasn't there it would tie with Burzum for #6.

El Gordo
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Actually that's a pretty cool site though. When I clicked Best or 2010 I got a different list. Snakes was 43rd and Athiest was 70th. That kinda made me laugh. If you can find 69 better cd's than Jupiter then you are truly a metal master. hahaha

Yeah, I changed the threshold to a minimum of 7 reviews rather than the default of 4 on the site. I figured if it was going by average review score, there should be as many reviews for each disc as possible.

Plus, the site is just going off of basically anyone who can write a competent review (and sometimes not even that) so I wouldn't put too much stock into the rankings lol.

Maiden33
01-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I changed the threshold to a minimum of 7 reviews rather than the default of 4 on the site. I figured if it was going by average review score, there should be as many reviews for each disc as possible.

Plus, the site is just going off of basically anyone who can write a competent review (and sometimes not even that) so I wouldn't put too much stock into the rankings lol.

True story:

A lot of the reviews I've submitted to Metal-Archives have been rejected because they're too descriptive and too elaborate.

jhdeity
01-12-2011, 02:12 PM
True story:

A lot of the reviews I've submitted to Metal-Archives have been rejected because they're too descriptive and too elaborate.

Wow. Their loss...

treghet
01-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I've read some reviews on that site that are good, but there are a ton of terrible ones. A lot of people just bash the bands, and somehow those reviews get accepted. :tp:

jhdeity
01-12-2011, 03:16 PM
I checked out Forgive Me. They were described as Depressive Suicidal Black Metal from Jordan on the clip I saw. 3 chords over and over again, terrible production and shitty vocals. Who listens to that shit?

El Gordo
01-12-2011, 04:47 PM
I checked out Forgive Me. They were described as Depressive Suicidal Black Metal from Jordan on the clip I saw. 3 chords over and over again, terrible production and shitty vocals. Who listens to that shit?

Those cool kids writing reviews at M-A, that's who! :dorky:

300%_Density
01-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Oh dear god don't tell me we made it through 10 posts and nobody from this board is yelling Iron Maiden only made it to #7? Dear god I think miracles do happen after all!!!! :party:

IrritatedTrout
01-12-2011, 07:47 PM
It's Metal Archives, with all the elitists there I'm surprised Maiden even made it in the top 10.

Griphook
01-13-2011, 06:26 AM

I just listened to it and I think it's pretty good.

It's Metal Archives, with all the elitists there I'm surprised Maiden even made it in the top 10.

*facepalm*

jhdeity
01-13-2011, 07:46 AM
I only listened to 1 song and after 2:30 of the same riff I could barely stand it but had to at least hear the vocals and they were actually worse than I expected. To each his own though. Top 10 of 2010?

ravenheart
01-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Fan submitted reviews = worthless.

JRA
01-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Nah, they usually have high regards for the old guard.

IrritatedTrout
01-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Nah, they usually have high regards for the old guard.

Eh, not a lot of the reviews I've seen but oh well.

IrritatedTrout
01-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Not necessarily, they can be useful as long as you weed out the extreme ones in either direction.

Maiden33
01-13-2011, 09:14 AM

So, any time I review an album by a band I previously liked, everything in the review can be disregarded and considered worthless? :confused:

Natrlhi
01-13-2011, 09:30 AM
So, any time I review an album by a band I previously liked, everything in the review can be disregarded and considered worthless? :confused:I doubt that's what he actually meant, but thanks to his typical tendency to make a strong statement using as few words as possible, he invites misinterpretation (or maybe he's just trying to wind up sensitive types such as yourself ;)).

Having said this, I do see his point. If he had written "fanboy submitted reviews = worthless", I would agree without reservation.

ShatteredFlame
01-13-2011, 12:35 PM
I kind of agree if he meant it exactly like this tbh. I find it much more easier to flame/point out dislikes then to come up with words on how to praise an album, thus making my positive reviews a little weak. But what the hell do I know, a great written positive review can be wonderful.

ravenheart
01-13-2011, 02:53 PM
(or maybe he's just trying to wind up sensitive types such as yourself ;))

Would I? ;)

beyondtheblack
01-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Triptykon @ Nr.1 = legit

theclansman1114
01-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Metal archives is good for a lot of things. Especially a laugh if you ever read Ultraboris' reviews of Iced Earth album. I implore you all to do so if you haven't. You will love it.

JRA
01-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Metal archives is good for a lot of things. Especially a laugh if you ever read Ultraboris' reviews of Iced Earth album. I implore you all to do so if you haven't. You will love it.

Well now, hello stranger. Analysis of To The Metal, stat!

treghet
01-29-2011, 04:00 PM
There was a hilarious review of a Burzum album but it got deleted.

EDIT: Found it! http://web.archive.org/web/20060430082003/http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=383

theclansman1114
01-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Well now, hello stranger. Analysis of To The Metal, stat!

BOOM!

I am not one to do the track by track or very long review so here ye are:
To The Metal.... It's...well, another Gamma Ray album, and given their releases since LOTF, it should be great! But I will say I was somewhat disappointed. Overall, it's consistent. Consistently good too. But there really isn't anything that leaps out to me. Aside from maybe Time To Live. I was a big fan of Land of the Free II. It wasn't consistent, but there were many standout tracks, inspired or blatant riff ripoffs, however you want to call certain sections in the songs I'm talking about (Opportunity, When the World, Insurrection), they are kick ass tunes. I don't like Metal Gods... I mean To The Metal. I would rather they had played Heavy Metal Universe live than To The Metal as well. I feel as if Kai took some criticism of Land of the Free II to heart and went a very safe route with this album. Most of the songs are of the shorter variety and are very easy to pick up as a listener after one or two listens. I mean really, it's almost like a 10 track singles album, the longest track is the one Dirk sings on. Say what you will about his vocals, but I actually like the tune, it steps out of the albums norm. I actually like every song on this album. But as I said, it just seems safe and is a lesser album then it's predecessors since LOTF.
Overall, as I said, it's a good album. I do think it is the weakest they have done with Kai on vocals, and I have a feeling the next album will be fantastic.

Maiden33
01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
I feel that "To the Metal" is ultimately just lacking a focal point. There's no "Rebellion", no "Armageddon", no "Somewhere Out in Space". It's an album full of what are typically "B-rate" Gamma Ray songs. It's not crap, and I don't think they're capable of releasing something shitty and repulsive, but it's dangerously boring and safe.

BloodoftheKings
01-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Didn't expect to see a good list from metal archives, I thought it would be nothing but obscure black metal.