PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 Got Djent? Best of 2010

jhdeity
01-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Love it or hate it, it's one of the better lists I've seen off of the net. Plus there are FREE cd downloads at the bottom including Cloudkicker. Enjoy!

http://got-djent.com/article/got-djentcoms-favourite-releases-2010

Natrlhi
01-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Meshuggah wasn't number one, and they picked Heliocentric over Anthropocentric. You gotta be fucking kidding me. Fail.

(Actually, now that I think about it, Anthro- is probably more "djent" than Helio-, but the latter is just such a superior album in every way.)

jhdeity
01-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Meshuggah wasn't number one, and they picked Heliocentric over Anthropocentric. You gotta be fucking kidding me. Fail.

(Actually, now that I think about it, Anthro- is probably more "djent" than Helio-, but the latter is just such a superior album in every way.)

Did they both come out in 2010? I only have Heliocentric and it's finally growing on me. Firmament just clicked with me and I'm wishing I had listened to this cd more since I bought it months ago.

Oh and if Meshuggah was eliglble it should have been #1. Thats just nuts!

Natrlhi
01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Did they both come out in 2010?Yolp.

idrinkwine732
01-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Heliocentric kicks Anthropocentric's ass.

Natrlhi
01-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Heliocentric kicks Anthropocentric's ass.
:agree:

HOWEVER...if I'm really honest, there are a whole ton of similarities between the two albums, and fewer differences than I had once believed based on just a couple of listens. [SPOILER ALERT to my year-end thread] I personally think Anthropocentric is going to get slighted this year by reviewers because Heliocentric was released in the same year, and the two will inevitably be compared. Anthropocentric was not a bad album by any stretch of the imagination, if you ask me. It's a lot closer to being "Heliocentric, Part 2" than it is to being "A Completely Separate and Distinct Album Which Sucks Donkey Dicks", which is, I'm afraid, how a lot of people are going to end up describing it. It doesn't help that Anthro- has only been out for a short time, either. :2cents:

ravenheart
01-07-2011, 06:59 AM
:agree:

HOWEVER...if I'm really honest, there are a whole ton of similarities between the two albums, and fewer differences than I had once believed based on just a couple of listens. [SPOILER ALERT to my year-end thread] I personally think Anthropocentric is going to get slighted this year by reviewers because Heliocentric was released in the same year, and the two will inevitably be compared. Anthropocentric was not a bad album by any stretch of the imagination, if you ask me. It's a lot closer to being "Heliocentric, Part 2" than it is to being "A Completely Separate and Distinct Album Which Sucks Donkey Dicks", which is, I'm afraid, how a lot of people are going to end up describing it. It doesn't help that Anthro- has only been out for a short time, either. :2cents:

Write it all down formally. I have place holders for them ;)

Natrlhi
01-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Write it all down formally. I have place holders for them ;)I shall. By the way, you can just go ahead and use what I wrote for Heliocentric in my "Best of" review if you like. I'm happy with it, and I don't think I need to add anything more.

ravenheart
01-07-2011, 07:22 AM
I shall. By the way, you can just go ahead and use what I wrote for Heliocentric in my "Best of" review if you like. I'm happy with it, and I don't think I need to add anything more.

I shall :fist:

jhdeity
01-07-2011, 08:04 AM
I wish I had heard Anthropocentric before Heliocentric. Helio took a while to sink in where Anthro seems more accessable. She Was the Universe, the title track & Heaven TV grabbed me at 1st listen and I finally had one of their ambient songs make an impression on me. Wilie Zum Untergang was about to be skipped a few minutes in when it suddenly took on a Toolish feel that finally caught my interest. I really like this cd.

If anyone has a hard time getting into The Ocean I think this cd is a much better gateway into appreciating their music. Now I'm going back to Heliocentric, hopefully to be blown away...

mastodon421
01-07-2011, 08:23 AM
This is a pretty decent list, glad to see Veil of Maya get some love.

DethMaiden
01-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Re: most of this list and the entire djent genre...

If I wanted to listen to music made by machines, I'd buy a player piano.

DethMaiden
01-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Oh, and Heliocentric is way better than Anthropocentric because The Ocean is better when the heaviness only ekes into the sound at times than when heaviness is the entire name of the game. Take the clean vocals, sax, and cello out of Heliocentric and beef up the riffs with more distortion and I wouldn't even listen to it twice.

ChildrenofSodom
01-07-2011, 09:29 AM

If I wanted to listen to music made by machines, I'd buy a player piano.

What's this? Everyone just started using this in everyday conversation, like, a month ago...including journalists, bloggers, and my polisci professor. What does it mean? "About the following thing:"?

DethMaiden
01-07-2011, 09:30 AM
What's this? Everyone just started using this in everyday conversation, like, a month ago...including journalists, bloggers, and my polisci professor. What does it mean? "About the following thing:"?

Regarding

ChildrenofSodom
01-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Regarding

I thought it was "Reply" like an email, but that doesn't make sense. Guess I don't understand what's hip in language these days. Oh well.

Natrlhi
01-07-2011, 09:38 AM

If I wanted to listen to music made by machines, I'd buy a player piano.You should see (hear) Meshuggah play live. That would shut you right the fuck up.

The people ARE machines, bro - that's how fucking good those dudes are.

(As for the rest of the genre, I could care less about most of it - and the existence of the genre itself is a bit dubious to me as well.)

Oh, and Heliocentric is way better than Anthropocentric because The Ocean is better when the heaviness only ekes into the sound at times than when heaviness is the entire name of the game. Take the clean vocals, sax, and cello out of Heliocentric and beef up the riffs with more distortion and I wouldn't even listen to it twice.There are a lot more clean vocals and ambient parts in Anthropocentric than you're giving it credit for. I know that in interviews, Robin Staps had told the press that Anthro was to be a much heavier album, but if you really listen, it isn't. There are more heavy parts, yes, but they aren't that much heavier - and The Ocean certainly didn't forget about the clean vocals and the sexy parts on their second album this year. I really think the above statement is a bit of a snap judgment on your part. Not judgin', just sayin'.

jhdeity
01-07-2011, 11:17 AM
You should see (hear) Meshuggah play live. That would shut you right the fuck up.

The people ARE machines, bro - that's how fucking good those dudes are.

(As for the rest of the genre, I could care less about most of it - and the existence of the genre itself is a bit dubious to me as well.)

There are a lot more clean vocals and ambient parts in Anthropocentric than you're giving it credit for. I know that in interviews, Robin Staps had told the press that Anthro was to be a much heavier album, but if you really listen, it isn't. There are more heavy parts, yes, but they aren't that much heavier - and The Ocean certainly didn't forget about the clean vocals and the sexy parts on their second album this year. I really think the above statement is a bit of a snap judgment on your part. Not judgin', just sayin'.

This. The reason I referenced She was the Universe is because I love how the clean vocals set up the heavy vocals. I'm all for ambient songs/pieces that set up heavy songs like Tool. That being said the last song on Anthro I don't get at all. That song makes Coldplay look like Slayer...

Natrlhi
01-07-2011, 12:38 PM
...the last song on Anthro I don't get at all. That song makes Coldplay look like Slayer...:lol: Fair enough. I can't argue that.

Interestingly enough, it kinda disproves Brad's point that Anthro is all harshness and no beauty, though, doesn't it? ;)

DethMaiden
01-07-2011, 01:37 PM
The pretty parts and heavy parts are both worse on Anthropocentric, in my opinion. Also, there are some parts on Anthro that downright annoyed me. Can't say that about anything on Helio. Furthermore, The Origin of Species/The Origin of God elevates Helio to top 10 status in the first place, and there's nothing as revelatory as that sequence anyplace on Anthro. :2cents:

mankvill
01-07-2011, 02:56 PM
"Got Djent?" does NOT roll off the tongue.

jhdeity
01-07-2011, 03:44 PM
:lol: Fair enough. I can't argue that.

Interestingly enough, it kinda disproves Brad's point that Anthro is all harshness and no beauty, though, doesn't it? ;)

I'd have to agree. I just jammed Heliocentric again and it's definitely better but I think Anthro compliments it perfectly. As blasphemous as it might sound I think I'm going to make 1 cd of my favorite tracks off these 2 cd's and jam the shit out of it. I was getting lost in some of the ambient tracks and while they're still growing on me in some cases, others are too mellow and like I mentioned with Anthro, what an anti-climactic way to end such a great cd.

And just so you know Djent is pronounced Gent like the sound the chord makes and totally flows off the tongue in my opinion. Got Gent? The coolest inside joke that posers who worship Vampire Weekend will never get...

jhdeity
01-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Not sure how many people checked some of those bands out but I think the power/prog guys on here would really like Tesseract. I agree with isispelican's comment to a T but that is some great music. I've found at least 5 bands on here that I really like and some of them were the free EP downloads. Gotta love FREE!