PDA

View Full Version : Maiden33's 2010 Thread

Maiden33
01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I wasn't gonna do it, I was hell-bent on not posting it because I figured no one cared and the board didn't need more, but like EVERYONE is doing it at this point, so why not. Not planning on doing any little awards or other lists, just my top 30 albums, with very short write-ups. I'm gonna start with albums 30-21.

30.Y&T - Facemelter
Favorite Songs: I'm Coming Home, On With the Show, Blind Patriot
A pretty solid comeback album. Dave Meniketti still plays his ass off on every song, and there's a couple of real gems here. Sadly there's definitely a couple of absolute duds that are full of bad 80s hard rock cliches. This album would've been outstanding if they would've made it like 3 songs shorter.

29.Ken's Dojo - Reincarnation
Favorite Songs: Forever, Set This Angel Free, Keeping the Flame Alive
A bit of a random selection, as I'm sure most people reading this have no idea what this is. All you need to know is that Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus), Nils K. Rue (Pagan's Mind), and Glenn Hughes all did guest vocals on this CD. A bit inconsistent, but when a few absolute dynamite tracks that I love.

28.James Labrie - Static Impulse
Favorite Songs: One More Time, Jekyll and Hyde, Mislead
Certainly the oddball of my list. When I heard "One More Time" the first time, I hated it. I'm admittedly not a fan of of growling, and this CD took a good while to grow on me. But when I put my predispositions aside, I really enjoy the majority of this disc, growls and all. I think it's pretty well done for what it is, and in the right mood, I love it.

27.Firewind - Days of Defiance
Favorite Songs: The Ark of Lies, Kill in the Name of Love, World on Fire
I have to confess I think this seems kinda phoned in by the standards of what I expect from Firewind. There's a couple of real gems here as good as anything they've done before, but definitely a number of obvious filler tracks. It's good, but it's not great.

26.Masterplan - Time to Be King
Favorite Songs: Fiddle of Time, The Dark Road, Far From the End of the World
Sadly, this was a bit of a disappointment to me. Jorn Lande's return seemed to promise something a bit more monumental than this. Definitely a number of fantastic tracks, and I absolutely love Masterplan being exactly what they are - but I think this album is like 1 or 2 amazing tracks shy of measuring up to what I expected.

25.Tarot - Gravity of Light
Favorite Songs: Rise!, Gone, I Walk Forever
This was actually my introduction to this fairly old band. I actually really enjoy Marco Heitela's vocals, and this disc overall really impressed me. I could do without some of the more plodding-type tracks, but I really enjoy the majority of this album.

24.Royal Hunt - X
Favorite Songs: The Well, King For a Day, Shadowman
This was Royal Hunt's attempt at a bit of a 70's throwback album, and overall they achieved that, though it's still undeniably Royal Hunt. Collision Course was a top 3 CD of 2008 for me, so overall this IS a disappointment, but Royal Hunt hardly ever actually disappoints, and Mark Boals has assimilated to this band perfectly.

23.Star One - Victims of the Modern Age
Favorite Songs: Digital Rain, Earth That Was, Human See-Human Do
Arjen Luccassen delivers a fairly typical Arjen Lucassen album. Star One is actually my favorite of all of his efforts, though I think overall this falls a hair short of the debut, "Space Metal". There's a couple of unbelievably great tracks on this, but the album as a whole falls a tad short of my expectations.

22.Anthriel - The Pathway
Favorite Songs: Haven of Grace, Dark Divided Minds, Chains of the Past
An upstart Progressive Metal band from Finland, very much in the style of Symphony X. Songwriting is kinda sketchy at times but overall a great debut with tons of potential.

21.SoulSpell - The Labyrinth of Truths
Favorite Songs: Into the Arc of Time, Adrift, Amon's Fountain
Pretty great Metal Opera-style effort with some really sweet guest appearances from Zak Stevens/Jon Oliva (Savatage), Iuri Sanson (Hibria), and Renato Tribuzy. Also features some really fantastic female vocals.

MPF
01-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I've actually really been wating on your list.

So far, so good.

treghet
01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I've actually really been wating on your list.

So far, so good.

Same here. I knew it would have a lot of stuff I hadn't heard of, so I was looking forward to learning about some new music.

idrinkwine732
01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
I'll listen to the whole of the top ten.

I'm not quite into the whole power/prog stuff, but I'll give it a whirl.

Maiden33
01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
20.Triosphere - The Road Less Traveled
Favorite Songs: Twenty One, Driven, The Human Condition
Definitely my favorite CD of 2010 by a female-fronted band. This is absolutely fantastic Melodic Metal with some great Progressive touches. Ida Haukland sounds very comparable to Doro Pesch, meaning a female vocalist that actually brings it. I really, really enjoy this disc.

19.Accept - Blood of the Nations
Favorite Songs: Teutonic Terror, The Abyss, No Shelter
A comeback that almost no one thought was possible. There are people out there who won't even give this a shot because of no UDO, but they are missing out on one of the best "True Metal" albums in the past several years.

18.Darkwater - Where Stories End
Favorite Songs: A Fools Utopia, Without a Sound, In the Blink of an Eye
Darkwater's second effort is making them a bit of a force to be reckoned with in the blossoming genre of Melodic Prog Metal (see: Seventh Wonder, Circus Maximus). Great hooks, great songwriting, great playing. Overall a really strong album.

17.White Wizzard - Over the Top
Favorite Songs: 40 Deuces, Over the Top, Out of Control
An incredible 80s metal throwback that stylistically is like a marriage of Iron Maiden circa 1984 and Riot circa 1988. Any fan of classic metal should absolutely love this. It's in your face and unapologetically kick-ass.

16.Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Favorite Songs: Book of Life, Newborn Tomorrow, Dust to Dust
About the very best that relatively generic Power/Speed metal can be. Features Blind Guardian drummer Fredrik Ehmke.

15.Powerworld - Human Parasite
Favorite Songs: Cleansed By Fire, Time Will Change
I actually haven't heard their debut album, and really only checked this out because of the involvement of ex-Threshold vocalist Andrew "Mac" McDermont. I'm very glad I did though, as it's some outstanding stuff. Overall, just fantastically executed Melodic Metal. Great catchy songs. Enough said.

14.Myrath - Desert Call
Favorite Songs: No Turning Back, Empty World, Tempests of Sorrow
Outstanding Progressive Metal from Tunisia. This band has an absolutely brilliant sound which perfectly marries Arabic musical elements with absolutely fantastic Progressive Metal. I think the vocalist takes a little while to get used to, but aside from that, an absolutely outstanding CD from start to finish.

13.Dreyelands - Rooms of Revelation
Favorite Songs: Room 6: Blossoms of Decay, Room 7: Vain, Room 5: Way to You
A great Progressive Metal debut album. If this band continues to expand on this, they will become frighteningly great. The vocals remind me a lot of Mats Leven, which is a very good thing. Great playing, great melodies, but the songwriting could use a little work I think. Nevertheless, as I said, it's an incredible debut album.

12.Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
Favorite Songs: Stargazers, Journey to Arcadia, Death is Just a Feeling
The lesser of the two 2010 Avantasia discs, this definitely has its share of outstanding tracks and performances. However, it sadly has a couple of obvious filler tracks, that weigh down the overall album even though I keep coming back to it for what I love about it.

11.Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
Favorite Songs: The Final Murder, Rush of Silence
Even at #10, this album was a slight disappointment, as Christ 0 is my favorite Vanden Plas record. The focus is more on the overall big picture, and less on the individual songs. Nevertheless, it is a Vanden Plas album, and a fantastic one at that. Definitely will grow on you with repeated listens.

jhdeity
01-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Very cool write-ups. I didn't know Myrath was from Tunisia. That helps explain their unique sound.

Sanitarium78
01-04-2011, 07:52 AM
12.Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
Favorite Songs: Stargazers, Journey to Arcadia, Death is Just a Feeling
The lesser of the two 2010 Avantasia discs, this definitely has its share of outstanding tracks and performances. However, it sadly has a couple of obvious filler tracks, that weigh down the overall album even though I keep coming back to it for what I love about it.

Those are my favorite songs on the album to. I also, like the title track, Alone I Remember and Promised Land a lot to. This album isn't as good as The Wicked Symphony but it's still pretty solid with some very good tracks.

Avantasia was one of my new discoveries last year and i've been enjoying their stuff quite a bit over the last two months. I'm really glad I took a chance on them.

IrritatedTrout
01-04-2011, 08:11 AM
I like this thread because, while I'm not into most of these bands, it's very different from most of the other review threads.

ravenheart
01-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Nice, two of my own top 20 in there already.

If the final batch doesn't include Empires of Eden then something's wrong, though ;)

Plus, Divided Multitude's album was better than most of those ;)

The_jman
01-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey Maiden33, maybe you can help me with this. I am starting to really like some power /prog metal, the problem is like 90% of the singers are like really high tenors. That's one of the reasons I like a lot of blind guardian cause he doesn't always sing so high. Can you recommend any prog/power bands that have more of a beratone range vocalist? does any exist?

ravenheart
01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Hey Maiden33, maybe you can help me with this. I am starting to really like some power /prog metal, the problem is like 90% of the singers are like really high tenors. That's one of the reasons I like a lot of blind guardian cause he doesn't always sing so high. Can you recommend any prog/power bands that have more of a beratone range vocalist? does any exist?

Astral Doors
Lions Share
Symphorce
Brainstorm
Divided Multitude
Symphony X
Masterplan
Prymary
Innerwish
Circle II Circle

Maiden33
01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Astral Doors
Lions Share
Symphorce
Brainstorm
Divided Multitude
Symphony X
Masterplan
Prymary
Innerwish
Circle II Circle

Yes, these, plus here's a few others:
Circus Maximus (guy has a big range, but has a really amazing low register he uses a lot on ballads and stuff)
Kamelot (Khan is pretty much the poster child for a power metal vocalist with a low(er) range)
Iron Savior
Wuthering Heights (Same vocalist as Astral Doors/Lion's Share)

More progressive metal bands that have lower-range vocalists:
Evergrey (Tom S. Englund is one of my favorite singers period)
Later Fates Warning/Redemption (Ray Alder :bowdown:)

and Circle II Circle also translates to Zak Stevens-fronted Savatage

Oh, and you might want to try Sinner. It's more hard rock-ish stuff, but Mat Sinner has a pretty low voice.

Also the new Avantasia albums have a lot of deeper vocalists for a power metal album, and Tobias Sammet's vocal range is deepening over time.

The_jman
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys, so much. I'll check some of these out.

jhdeity
01-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Evergrey has always been my favorite power/prog band since I met those guys at Foundations Forum way back in the day. I think they're the perfect "crossover" band to get people into P/P. 2nd on my list would be Symphony X and 3rd would be my friends old band Mystic Force. If you can get hold of a copy of their cd Man vs. Machine, it's a cd that was years ahead if it's time.

Maiden33
01-04-2011, 07:06 PM
And here's the top 10:
10.Allen/Lande - the Showdown
Favorite Songs: The Showdown, The Guardian, We Will Rise Again
Well, it's a Magnus Karlsson album, that much is obvious. I actually was surprised by how fresh this album sounds and feels. The hooks are as present as ever, and the heaviness is perfectly executed when needed. Of course both vocalists perform outstandingly, but Jorn's solo songs outshine Russell's.

09.Creation's End - A New Beginning
Favorite Songs: Forsaken, World Holocaust, Of Shadow and Flame
Definitely the "Debut Album of 2010". So much talent is on display here, from the amazing vocals of Mike Dimeo to the outstanding shredding of Marco Sfogli, to the fantastic songwriting and surprising progressive elements. This album is crushingly heavy yet manages to stay very interesting and very melodic when it wants to be. Another definite "grower". This really blew me away.

08.Wuthering Heights - Salt
Favorite Songs: The Desperate Poet, Weather the Storm, Lost at Sea
Wuthering Heights dish out an outstanding batch of Prog/Power tunes with a great folky/piratey overtone. Nils Patrik Johansson's weird voice is at its very best here, and I think overall this is probably the group's strongest effort to date.

07.Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Favorite Songs: Starblind, The Talisman, The Alchemist
Well, a new Iron Maiden album is always an interesting topic of discussion. To keep it short, I think this is less consistent than it's predecessor, A Matter of Life and Death, as it has a couple of tracks I'm not in love with. That being said, my hat is off to the band for really breaking the mold of the previous reunion albums, and turning in more fast, upbeat, shorter numbers than they have in years.

06.DGM - Synthesis
Favorite songs: Just Like Before, Dreamland, Is Hell Without Love?
I normally wouldn't consider this eligible for this list, but according to the top 10 voting thread's rules, any full-length release of new studio recordings is eligible, so even though this is 80% of re-recordings, I can include it. Man does it deliver. DGM has undergone some lineup changes in the last 3-4 years so they decided to rerecord a lot of older material with the current lineup, in addition to including 2 brand new songs. The whole band is on fire, and this disc absolutely rules from start to finish. If anyone has ever wanted to check this band out, do it with this.

05.Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied II
Favorite Songs: A Paiting on the Wall, The Shooting Star
A comeback like this is pretty miraculous. Labyrinth's previous album, "6 Days to Nowhere" sucked, pretty hard, too. And they managed to not only return fully to their classic sound/style, but make an album that quite honestly might be their best one yet.

04.Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
Favorite Songs: King of Whitewater, The Great Escape, Move on Through
One of the most anticipated Progressive Metal releases in recent years, and it did not disappoint. Every part of this album rules - every note, every phrase... it's just perfect. But then again, the last 1 or 2 Seventh Wonder discs were the exact same way, so I should not be surprised. Also, this band is now finally on the way to getting the respect they deserve.

03.Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Favorite Songs: Sacred Worlds, A Voice in the Dark, Wheel of Time
Blind Guardian are without a doubt one of the most respected names in the Power Metal genre, and they proved their mettle once again with this album, far surpassing its predecessor, "A Twist in the Myth". An almost perfect crossroads of all facets of their styles throughout the years. Great symphonic elements, acoustic elements, and absolute thrashy heaviness.

02.Silent Call - Greed
Favorite Songs: I Am My Nation, Every Day, Dream Tomorrow, The Wages of Greed
Just about every possible flaw with their impressive debut "Creations From a Chosen Path" has been corrected here, and Silent Call have established that they are a Progressive Metal force to be reckoned with. Amazing songwriting and stellar vocals from Andi Kravljaka. The sky is the limit for these guys.

01.Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
Favorite Songs: The Wicked Symphony, Runaway Train, States of Matter
I fucking love Avantasia, this is pretty common knowledge to most people who know me. I think Tobias Sammet's songwriting these days is the ultimate combination of instant satisfaction through catchy melodies and lovable staying power. Most of these songs have already become part of my musical make-up. I don't look at them as "new songs", they're just songs I love. I continue to sing the praises of Tobi's Scarecrow saga, and this is probably my favorite of all 3 albums within it. The vocal performances are

Dextrimental
01-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Figured I would throw it out there, that I aint no power metal fan, but from this thread I have discovered Myrath, an epic band, and Avantasia's Scarecrow saga, which is also epic. Thank you Maiden33, think this is one of the few times myself and yourself will get along on this board haha!

Maiden33
01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for the positive comments, glad to know people are getting some stuff out of this list.

Sanitarium78
01-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Great review of the new Seventh Wonder. They were another new band for me last year and they're my favorite new discovery is quite a long time. I heard a song from Creation's End a month or so ago and I liked it so I think i'll give the album a try.