PDA

View Full Version : SAVATAGE mini-reunion (sorry, America)

ravenheart
12-27-2010, 11:52 AM
OK, so I totally missed this quote from Jon Oliva in September, but basically in order to "shut everyone up" about Savatage reuniting, the Dead Winter Dead/Wake of Magellan line-up will reunite at the end of each night of the forthcoming Trans-Siberian Orchestra European tour to play 7 or 8 Savatage songs.

Oliva: "The TSO thing is coming here to Europe in March and I'll be with 'em for that tour, so it'll be fun. We got a Savatage reunion going on at the end of the show.

Oh yeah, the Savatage reunion is going on at the end of the show... like eight Savatage songs... the 'Dead Winter Dead' / 'Wake Of Magellan' line up.

When we decided to bring TSO here, it was actually my idea, because I was still like every interview I was doing it was like people always... You know what: My biggest thing about doing it was always, that it would gonna take time away from TSO and that it would gonna take time away from what I was doing to do a proper Savatage thing because Paul (O'Neill) would not let it do be a half assed production. So this was the perfect opportunity. I was like: You know what, we could kill two birds with one stone. It'll help TSO ticket sales, because TSO isn't popular over here like it is in America and it'll shut everybody up once for all with the Savatage reunion, because we'll do it every night for twelve nights. If you wanna see it you got twelve or fourteen nights to come and see it and that's gonna be it. And then I don't have to hear anything. And that's it. Here we go. And they get their Savatage reunion and I get it out of my life and it's a beautiful thing all around."

Travis The Dragon
12-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Hopefully, if all goes well, Savatage will record a new album with Jon.

Maiden33
12-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Hopefully, if all goes well, Savatage will record a new album with Jon.

Never going to happen.

Actually, until right now I had never seen the second part of this statement, in which Jon is, as usual, kind of a total dick about the whole thing, and acts like no one anywhere has a right to even want a reunion, and that fans should "get off his back" about it. I had been pretty hopefully that this may eventually snowball into something more, but seeing that kind jerks that hope away. I'd still say there's more of a chance than previously though, as it was my understanding prior to this that Jon and the rest of the guys would never play together again.

JRA
12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm not a fan of Savatage, but there has to be enough fans in this country to pack the house at BB King's in New York.

Maiden33
12-27-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm not a fan of Savatage, but there has to be enough fans in this country to pack the house at BB King's in New York.

Is this some sort of joke making fun of the band's popularity?

ravenheart
12-27-2010, 03:09 PM

No, you specifically ;)

JRA
12-27-2010, 05:51 PM

No I was being serious. and I wasn't trying to be mean spirited. I just think it's stupid that they don't play one show for the american fans. BB King's was just the first place I thought of cos it seems that's where the true metal bands go.

Maiden33
12-27-2010, 05:56 PM
No I was being serious. and I wasn't trying to be mean spirited. I just think it's stupid that they don't play one show for the american fans. BB King's was just the first place I thought of cos it seems that's where the true metal bands go.

Oh alright, just seemed like it might've been intended that way because BB King's is actually a pretty damn small place. But yes, the demand is there to fill at least a small handful of shows in North America. It seems moronic to me that they don't just give in and do it, and finally shut everyone up. All it would take is like 5 gigs in the entire country. New York, Florida, Chicago-era, Texas, and California most likely.

DethMaiden
12-27-2010, 06:47 PM
I'd see them most anywhere in the Midwest. Hell, I'd see this TSO-fake-Savatage thing anywhere in the Midwest.

ravenheart
12-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Yeah, I don't get it. Their fan-base is far bigger in the US than it is in Europe. To give in even this far but do it in Europe is weird. Although perhaps it's because they really needed some ticket sales...

DethMaiden
12-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I don't get it. Their fan-base is far bigger in the US than it is in Europe. To give in even this far but do it in Europe is weird. Although perhaps it's because they really needed some ticket sales...

TSO sells out TWO arena shows on the same day every year in Dayton, Ohio, which has the 154th largest population in the U.S. They don't need ticket sales. ;)

Sanitarium78
12-28-2010, 07:45 AM

Jon Oliva needs ticket sales to anything not called TSO right now and the best way to do that is to bring back Savatage. The other interesting thing is on the most recent JOP tour he played like 12 Savatage songs every night. A hint of things to come perhaps? I mean if Savatage is supposedly dead and buried like he says why make your setlists with your other band so Savatage heavy?

Come the fuck on Jon, we know you wanna start Savatage up again just fuckin do it already:D

Dextrimental
12-28-2010, 08:10 AM
I seen Jon Oliva's Pain at Graspop this year. I am by no means a fan of that sytyle of music, but TSO, and Savatage, are definitely the more quality acts he is involved in.

ravenheart
12-28-2010, 09:45 AM
TSO sells out TWO arena shows on the same day every year in Dayton, Ohio, which has the 154th largest population in the U.S. They don't need ticket sales. ;)

They do in Europe, was my point.

ravenheart
12-28-2010, 09:46 AM
A hint of things to come perhaps?

Nah. His JOP setlists have been 80% Savatage since day one. I've seen him twice, and have only seen him play four JOP songs.

Maiden33
12-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Nah. His JOP setlists have been 80% Savatage since day one. I've seen him twice, and have only seen him play four JOP songs.

Damn, haha. I saw two consecutive nights and saw 5 myself. One was played the second show but not the first. They were:

-Through the Eyes of the King
-Maniacal Renderings
-Firefly
-Walk Upon the Water
-Stories

Curious, which did you see?

ravenheart
12-29-2010, 01:35 AM
Damn, haha. I saw two consecutive nights and saw 5 myself. One was played the second show but not the first. They were:

-Through the Eyes of the King
-Maniacal Renderings
-Firefly
-Walk Upon the Water
-Stories

Curious, which did you see?

In 2007: Maniacal Renderings, Through The Eyes of The King, The Evil Beside You, End Times

In 2009: Maniacal Renderings, Through The Eyes of The King

TonyD
12-29-2010, 01:42 AM
How is TSO so damn popular?

ravenheart
12-29-2010, 01:43 AM
Come the fuck on Jon, we know you wanna start Savatage up again just fuckin do it already:D

Actually, all he seems to want to do is use Savatage to make money. Have you noticed how all advertising for any of his solo shows has "the mastermind of Savatage" with the Savatage logo next to the JOP one?

ravenheart
12-29-2010, 01:43 AM

Because it's original. And it has Savatage members in it, obviously.

IrritatedTrout
12-29-2010, 08:53 AM

Because people get way too carried away with Christmas music.

powerslave_85
12-29-2010, 08:58 AM
It's the only Christmas music I can stand most of the time :lol:

ravenheart
12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Because people get way too carried away with Christmas music.

I mostly care about the stuff which isn't Christmas music, since there is no good Christmas music.

DethMaiden
12-29-2010, 09:37 AM
I mostly care about the stuff which isn't Christmas music, since there is no good Christmas music.

I still find that prejudice baffling. Are there no good songs on any of the Christmas TSO albums, which apart from being about Christmas sound the same as the non-Christmas ones, which you here confess to liking?

Derelict
12-29-2010, 09:51 AM
I still find that prejudice baffling. Are there no good songs on any of the Christmas TSO albums, which apart from being about Christmas sound the same as the non-Christmas ones, which you here confess to liking?

Not commenting on TSO, but man, i fucking hate christmas, especially christmas music.

ravenheart
12-29-2010, 09:52 AM
It doesn't sound the same though. The non-Christmas stuff isn't constantly permeated by those irritatingly quaint melodies that apparently all Christmas songs must have.

Christmas lyrics also blow. Hard. And not in the good way.

darkguardian50
12-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Sometimes I just want to smack Jon. He's been a real dick about the Savatage thing for awhile now. And it pisses me off cause I never got to see them live. They were and are however more popular in Europe by a large margin so he is making sense, its still a shitty thing to do his American fanbase. And its all in the name of making more money. Whats also slightly irritating is TSO mining the Savatage catalogue to make money as they have beenthe last few albums. Lost Christmas had a remake/cover of Back to a Reason, Night Castle had straight up remakes of The Mountain and Mozart and Madness, and the next album will have Sleep and since the album is called Gutter Ballet, I am guessing Gutter Ballet.

Sanitarium78
01-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Sometimes I just want to smack Jon. He's been a real dick about the Savatage thing for awhile now. And it pisses me off cause I never got to see them live. They were and are however more popular in Europe by a large margin so he is making sense, its still a shitty thing to do his American fanbase. And its all in the name of making more money. Whats also slightly irritating is TSO mining the Savatage catalogue to make money as they have beenthe last few albums. Lost Christmas had a remake/cover of Back to a Reason, Night Castle had straight up remakes of The Mountain and Mozart and Madness, and the next album will have Sleep and since the album is called Gutter Ballet, I am guessing Gutter Ballet.

I don't mind if TSO takes some influence and incorporates old Savatage themes and songs into their material. They evolved from Savatage and it's a nice nod to their past. I do agree with you about Jon being a dick when it comes to a Savatage reunion though.

What bothers me is Jon will talk about how Savatage is dead and buried and that JOP is his band and his focus now but still plays a dozen Savatage songs every night with his new band and only does a like four or five JOP songs:confused:

If Savatage is supposed to be done why do that then? He should be making the point that JOP is the focus now by making that the bulk of his sets with like four or five Savatage songs thrown in as an acknowledgement to his past and that's it. It's kind of like when Dio would play a few songs from Rainbow and Sabbath live. He showed respect to his past bands but didn't make that material dominate the set because he was focusing on his solo stuff.

Jon only helps to fuel the fire by doing sets like that. He's more to blame about people wanting Savatage to get back together than the fans who keep asking about it are.

ravenheart
01-02-2011, 08:11 AM
It's kind of like when Dio would play a few songs from Rainbow and Sabbath live. He showed respect to his past bands but didn't make that material dominate the set because he was focusing on his solo stuff.

And when he then toured with H&H, he dropped all of the Sabbath songs from his solo set. Jon could learn a thing or two.

EvilCheeseWedge
01-04-2011, 11:43 AM
God dammit.

I don't understand why he won't just have Savatage play in America. Okay, so they don't sell a lot... When I saw JOP in 2005 I sincerely doubt there were even a hundred people there.

Also, for the record, JOP played four JOP songs when I saw them (The Dark, People Say - Gimme Some Hell, Pain, Walk Alone.)