PDA

View Full Version : Now that 2010 is coming to its end....What was the BEST Show you went to this year?

Sepultura69
12-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Or should I say SHOWS... for those that can't narrow it down to just one. Seeing how so many of you guys have been to a shitload of gigs this past year I thought it would be nice to see what was the best(and even worst:confused:) shows you guys attended for this year.

Unfortunately I can't narrow it down to just one so I will just make a quick little list(1st being the best and last being the worst I guess)

EDIT: :hecho:

1.Roger Waters: The Wall

2.AMERICAN CARNAGE:
Slayer, Megadeth and Testament

3.SOULFLY....I hate soulfly and there goddamn Nu Metal-tribal pop shtizks that they got going on but I only went to the show for one reason and one reason only and that was to hear Max play those "OLD" tunes that he's famous for:D and goddamn did he deliver.....Troops of Doom owns you:rocker:

TIED with

3.Thrasho De Mayo "V" with Evil Dead Reunion, Merciless Death, Diamond Plate, Witch haven, Warbringer too many fucking bands to name

4.Warbringer @ The Whisky in Hollywood:
Can't believe I forgot to add this one. I have seen Warbringer a shitload of times but this was my first time seeing them headline. Warbringer are slowly becoming one of my favorite bands of all time. I've met the band a shitload of times before and after gigs, John Kevil is one of the nicest people I've ever met, unbelievably friendly guy. This show felt so COMPLETE because it was their own gig so they played a pretty long set and they played everything I wanted. Every song I screamed for they played, and not only that but I left the show with a half broken nose and blood and wierd green shit pouring out of my nose profusely like an endless waterfall. Good times :rocker:

5.Prince Poetry from legendary Hip Hop duo Organized Konfusion:
I grew up listening to these guys through most of my youth in iran so it was a real honor and treat to see one half of this incredible duo perform. The highlight of that show was when Prince Poetry pulled me on stage and gave me the microphone to rap along with him on one of his more famous tunes from his Organized Konfusion Catalogue :D

6.Gza the Genius of the Wu Tang Clan Performing "Liquid Swords" in its entirety

7.PESTILENCE
This show was really special. Great line up. Pestilence/Vital Remains and Warbringer. It was on a Monday night, THERE WAS BARELY ANYONE ONE AT THIS SHOW... There was about maybe 25-30 people tops!! But it added a nice little vibe to it and everyone that was there was going apeshit and ballistics through out most of the night

I will stop now since I don't want this to go into a "long wall of rambling" as some would put it. But I would like to put Wu Tang Doing 36 chambers, A Tribe Called Quest doing Midnight Marauders as honorary mentions.

Also I'd like to say that Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax/Jagermiester tour was the worst show I have been to this year...Very disappointing concert....Wasn't worth the 2 hour drive or getting beat up by security...would have much rather made the long trek to L.A. to see Triptykon whom played 2 days after this shitty gig :(

well that's my 2 cent's :hecho:

ShatteredFlame
12-22-2010, 11:26 AM
1. Blood Duster @ Maryland Deathfest

...yeah I can't rank but that was definetely the funnest time I had at a concert this year.

Other great moments:
Devin Townsend (opening for BTBAM) - 30min set and he easily stole the show. The rest of the concert was a complete wank fest though.

Kreator and Voivod - Voivod especially was really surprising, so much fun despite the fact that I find them boring on CD.

Opeth - Black Water Park set was for the most part a snoozefest but the 2nd set really made up for it!

Maryland Deathfest - Impaled, Autopsy, Jesus Crost, Gorguts, Asphyx etc. (too bad I didn't get to go on the 3rd day :( )

Boris and Russian Circles - Torche wasn't as great as I was hoping for. Russian Circles and Boris both blew me away. I hope I get to see both bands again sometime soon.

Katatonia - My first time seeing one of my favorite bands, I sang along to everything and had lots of fun for the most part.

Massive Attack - Really fancy venue (Beacon Theater). They give a different feel to their songs live and as perfect as the make their songs on record, they rival them live.

Devin Townsend (headlining) - Now we get a headlining set! Probably my 2nd favorite set of the year.

street_burial
12-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I went to a lot of shows this year but these two were the best.

1. Gwar/Dirge Within/Mobile Deathcamp

2. Job For A Cowboy/Skeletonwitch/Misery Index

idrinkwine732
12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
I very well could be going to it tonight.

Indestructible
12-22-2010, 11:53 AM
1. Dream Theater
2. Rush
3. Iron Maiden
4. Megadeth
5. Shadows Fall

BloodoftheKings
12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
1. Blackdiamondskye Tour - Getting to see AIC was amazing. I dont care what anyone says about the new lineup being fake AIC, William sounds just as good as Layne IMO.
All Bands: Mastodon, Deftones, Alice in Chains

Exodus (opening for Arch Enemy) - Exodus completely stole the show. This is so far the best thrash show i've ever seen.
All Bands: Mutiny Withing, Arsis, Exodus, Arch Enemy

Death Angel (opening for Soilwork) - Similar to Exodus, I could have left the show after DA and still been completely satified. I came to this show to see Soilwork and walked out a bigger fan of Death Angel then Soilwork.
All Bands: Swashbuckle, Mutiny Within, Augury, Death Angel, Soilwork

GWAR - Of course it was awesome it's fuckin GWAR. Cant wait til sunday, seeing the setlist I expect sunday's show to be even better. :horns:
All Bands: Mobile Deathcamp, Dirge Within, GWAR

American Carnage - Finally got to see Megadeth this year, hopefully one day I can see these bands without having to sit in seats. :bouville:
All Bands: Testament, Megadeth, Slayer

street_burial
12-22-2010, 12:02 PM
I very well could be going to it tonight.

i hate you....

MPF
12-22-2010, 12:10 PM
I'll let you guys decide. Going in chronological order:

1.) Sonata Arctica/Mutiny Within/Powerglove
2.) Nevermore/Warbringer/Blackguard/Hatesphere/Abigail Williams
3.) Blind Guardian/Holy Grail/Seven Kingdoms

BloodoftheKings
12-22-2010, 12:24 PM
GWAR on sunday and PEE WEE FUCKIN HERMAN next week might just blow away all the shows I listed before. :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

mankvill
12-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Vektor

The_jman
12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Rock on the range, it was just an amazing experience...

although seeing shinedown and seether at x-fest was pretty awsome too... unfortunately those were the only two shows I saw this year.

elturtleboy
12-22-2010, 01:43 PM
3.Thrasho De Mayo "V" with Evil Dead Reunion, Merciless Death, Diamond Plate, Witch haven, Warbringer too many fucking bands to name
[/B]
:

Meh wasnt as great as i hope it wouldve been.

IrritatedTrout
12-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Iron Maiden in New York. Being on the rail right in front of Steve Harris at a sold-out Madison Square Garden was amazing. The DC and Pittsburgh shows were awesome too.

Another highlight was Megadeth and Testament last March. It was my fifth time seeing Deth and probably the best one.

Rush last September was also unbelievable.

elturtleboy
12-22-2010, 01:53 PM
1.American Carnage

2.Cannibal Corpse/Skeletonwitch

3.GWAR/The Casaulties

4.OFF!

5.Mayhem Fest

6.Power Of The Riff Fest

7.Toxic Holocaust

8.Cannabis Corpse

9.Danzig

10.ACxDC

ill give reviews later

Crionics
12-22-2010, 02:04 PM
1. Slayer/Deth/Anthrax
2. Maiden/Dream Theater
3. Mastodon/BTBAM/Valient Thorr

Natrlhi
12-22-2010, 03:24 PM
I'll probably include "best gigs" as well as "best individual performances" in my list orgy this year like I did last year.

makethemsuffer12
12-22-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure about overall shows, but in terms of individual performances I think either Slayer, Nevermore, or Ozzy were the best for me.

El Gordo
12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I only went to 4 goddamn shows this year... getting married and buying a house kinda cramped my style, so I'll rank those four lol:

1. Overkill & Vader: My favourite band with my favourite death metal band. It doesn't get a hell of a lot better. Overkill always rocks it live and so does Vader. To make it even better, I watched my sister's boyfriend talk his way out of getting smashed to bits by some giant biker dude.

2. Rush: I shouldn't have to explain this, Rush is amazing live. A couple over-priced Heinekens and a little herb and I was in heaven.

3. High On Fire: Matt Pike ripped my fucking face off. Too bad we got there late as hell and missed both Priestess and Skeletonwitch.

4. Interpol: My wife's favourite band, I've seen them a few times. They always put on a solid, if unspectacular show. This time was no different.

It's quality, not quantity I guess.

Sepultura69
12-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I only went to 4 goddamn shows this year... getting married and buying a house kinda cramped my style, so I'll rank those four lol:

1. Overkill & Vader: My favourite band with my favourite death metal band. It doesn't get a hell of a lot better. Overkill always rocks it live and so does Vader. To make it even better, I watched my sister's boyfriend talk his way out of getting smashed to bits by some giant biker dude.

2. Rush: I shouldn't have to explain this, Rush is amazing live. A couple over-priced Heinekens and a little herb and I was in heaven.

3. High On Fire: Matt Pike ripped my fucking face off. Too bad we got there late as hell and missed both Priestess and Skeletonwitch.

4. Interpol: My wife's favourite band, I've seen them a few times. They always put on a solid, if unspectacular show. This time was no different.

It's quality, not quantity I guess.

Nice!!!! Rush, Iron Maiden and a Sepultura Reunion are bands that I must see before I croke and pass on:hecho:

makethemsuffer12
12-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Nice!!!! Rush, Iron Maiden and a Sepultura Reunion are bands that I must see before I croke and pass on:hecho:

Good luck with that one buddy. :lol:

The Colonel
12-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Faith No More at the Warfield in SanFrancisco, CA

Sleep with Scott Kelly and Yob at Roseland in Portland, OR

Maryland Deathfest at Sonar in Baltimore, MD, highlights were Entombed, Eyehategod, DRI, Blood Duster, Converge, Verbal Abuse, Autopsy

Katatonia at UB's in Mesa, AZ

Converge/Coalesce at The Clubhouse in Tempe, AZ

Bad Religion/Bouncing Souls/Off With Their Heads at the Rialto in Tucson, AZ and at the Marquee in Tempe, AZ

PowerMaiden
12-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Iron Maiden in Holmdel, 3 rd row in front

Québec city was also very special with 79,999 other maniacs

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

makethemsuffer12
12-22-2010, 07:13 PM

I wish I could've been that close up. :(

Indestructible
12-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I wish I could've been that close up. :(

I had the floor for Maiden when I saw them in pittsburgh

Akumu
12-22-2010, 07:39 PM
1. Avantasia. Two and a half hours. Nearly EVERY GOOD SONG. Tobi, Jorn Lande, Amanda Somerville, Michael Kiske, Kai Hansen, Oliver Hartmann, Bob Catley sharing the same stage. This was phenomenal. Best of all, we showed up late and STILL got third row.

2. Leprous. Absolute mindfuck. Loved every minute of it.

3. Finnish Metal Tour. Moonsorrow and Swallow the Sun stole the show, imo. Great bill.

PowerMaiden
12-22-2010, 07:40 PM
there's no rail at the PNC over there in Holmdel, so 3 rd row there is closer to a a spot on your normal rail anywhere else, they were sweating on me :drool:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

The_jman
12-22-2010, 07:47 PM
1. Avantasia. Two and a half hours. Nearly EVERY GOOD SONG. Tobi, Jorn Lande, Amanda Somerville, Michael Kiske, Kai Hansen, Oliver Hartmann, Bob Catley sharing the same stage. This was phenomenal. Best of all, we showed up late and STILL got third row.

2. Leprous. Absolute mindfuck. Loved every minute of it.

3. Finnish Metal Tour. Moonsorrow and Swallow the Sun stole the show, imo. Great bill.
1... lucky bastard.

Sepultura69
12-22-2010, 08:15 PM
there's no rail at the PNC over there in Holmdel, so 3 rd row there is closer to a a spot on your normal rail anywhere else, they were sweating on me :drool:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

You like the enjoyment of men sweating on you :confused:

PowerMaiden
12-22-2010, 08:30 PM
You like the enjoyment of men sweating on you :confused:

gime Iron Maiden sweat any day of the week

Cheers !
Power:666:Maiden

Sepultura69
12-22-2010, 08:34 PM
gime Iron Maiden sweat any day of the week

Cheers !
Power:666:Maiden

:confused:

ravenheart
12-23-2010, 03:44 AM
Cathedral's double-set 20th Anniversary show in London. Out-fucking-standing.

DethMaiden
12-23-2010, 08:22 AM
SHOW is tough to say, I measure by set. I might be inclined to say either Maiden and Dream Theater (only show I went to all year where I knew every song every band played, I think), Black Cobra/Howl/Struck By Lightning, or Alcest/Velnias/Clad in Darkness.

I'll be making a top ten sets of 2010 list once I go to Clutch and Kylesa though.

mastodon421
12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Really tough call, went to a lot of great shows this year. I would have to say BlackDiamondSkye. Every band was awesome and seeing Alice In Chains was a dream come true. Also doesn't hurt that it was easily the best performance i've ever seen from Mastodon:rocker:.

Natrlhi
12-23-2010, 09:19 AM
SHOW is tough to say, I measure by set. I might be inclined to say either Maiden and Dream Theater (only show I went to all year where I knew every song every band played, I think), Black Cobra/Howl/Struck By Lightning, or Alcest/Velnias/Clad in Darkness.

I'll be making a top ten sets of 2010 list once I go to Clutch and Kylesa though.:bigfinger

IrritatedTrout
12-23-2010, 10:30 AM

Québec city was also very special with 79,999 other maniacs

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

That was actually my least favorite Maiden show ever. It was still really good but just not as good as the others. I was 6th row and something about seats just killed the atmosphere and I was beyond stressed out about getting into NYC that night as I'd never been there so that kinda affected the show for me.

Maiden33
12-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Honestly I didn't see any bad shows this year, but general list of favorites:

Kansas @ Sherman Theater - Stroudsburg, PA - February 21st, 2010
Primal Fear @ Blender Theater - New York, NY - May 20th, 2010
Iron Maiden w/ Dream Theater @ PNC Bank Arts Center - Holmdel, NJ - July 11th, 2010
Iron Maiden w/ Dream Theater @ Jiffy Lube Live - Bristow, VA - July 20th, 2010 (Honestly, had a pretty shitty time, mostly in part to Live Nation's dumbass policies and employees. But still, I was like 2nd/3rd row for Maiden, so it was awesome)
Y&T w/ Icarus Witch @ The Sterling Hotel - Allentown, PA - August 5th, 2010 (Y&T played for 2 hours and 20 minutes, and did a song upon request from me. Enough said)
Shadow Gallery w/ Suspyre @ Barley Creek - Tannersville, PA - September 5th, 2010 (After 20 years together, Shadow Gallery's first ever live performance. It was glorious)
King's X/Accept @ The Silo - Reading, PA - October 1st, 2010 (Rare to see a double bill where I love both bands)
Firewind @ The Blender Theater - New York, NY - November 6th, 2010

Sepultura69
12-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Getting to see AIC was amazing. I dont care what anyone says about the new lineup being fake AIC, William sounds just as good as Layne IMO.

Wait a minute......

Isn't this the same guy that considers the current lineup of Sepultura as a "fake cover band" :confused:

I don't get it....:cool:

Let me guess..... "Yeah!..Well!..well Alice in Chains still holds prominent members like Jerry Cantrell" or something to that extent :tp:

makethemsuffer12
12-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Wait a minute......

Isn't this the same guy that considers the current lineup of Sepultura as a "fake cover band" :confused:

Let me guess..... "Yeah!..Well!..well Alice in Chains still holds prominent members like Jerry Cantrell" or something to that extent :tp:

Well AIC didn't start sucking when they got DuVall...

girnny777
12-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Iron Maiden at the sold out Madison Square Garden. It was magical.

Honorable mentions go to American Carnage, Kreator, and MDF.

mastodon421
12-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Well AIC didn't start sucking when they got DuVall...

+1

xStructualDefect
12-25-2010, 11:26 AM
i went to 10 shows this year. the best had to have been:

(in no order)
Four Year Strong / Comeback Kid
Mayhem Festival
Arch Enemy / Exodus / Arsis

DementedX14
12-25-2010, 12:47 PM
For me:

1. Dark Tranquility - One of the best live performances I have seen IMO.:rockdevil
2. Rob Zombie - Great performance and stage theatrics.
3. Iron Maiden - First time seeing them and it was amazing.
4. Chimaira:metal:
5. Soilwork:horns:

hailthecrisis
12-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Rush, Time Machine tour.

Without a doubt in my mind, best show I went to this year.

BloodoftheKings
12-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Wait a minute......

Like what makethemsuffer said, I can let it slide when the new material is actually good. :cool:

DethMaiden
12-25-2010, 06:38 PM
In fairness, the original argument seemed to be against Sepultura playing all of Arise because they were a so-called cover band, and no one batted an eye about DuVall AIC playing shit from Facelift and Dirt before he recorded a note with the band.

MPF
12-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Like me killing off the Arsis thread in the setlist section.

Sepultura suck now without either of the Cavaleras.
Alice In Chains has ALWAYS been Jerry Cantrell's project and still produces quality Hard Rock

discussion/

DethMaiden
12-25-2010, 06:48 PM
I actually have a bigger problem with Layne-free AIC than Max-free Sep, but whatever, I know I'm in the minority.

Dirt is the best thing either of those bands ever did and I wouldn't like it nearly as much without Layne. I'll leave it at that.

El Gordo
12-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Like me killing off the Arsis thread in the setlist section.

Sepultura suck now without either of the Cavaleras.
Alice In Chains has ALWAYS been Jerry Cantrell's project and still produces quality Hard Rock

discussion/

Sepultura sucked long before either Cavalera left... their last good album was Arise.

You're bang on with the AIC comment.

adamclark52
12-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Enslaved opening for Dimmu Bore-gir on Dec. 12 at the Sound Academy in Toronto. They absolutely destroyed that night, probably the best I've ever seen them. Too bad as soon as they were getting super-awesome...their 40 minutes were up...muther-fukk

Blackened12
12-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Maiden, no question, they were even better than seeing Roger Waters play The Wall and believe me THAT was pretty damn sick

Sepultura69
12-31-2010, 07:38 AM
Maiden, no question, they were even better than seeing Roger Waters play The Wall and believe me THAT was pretty damn sick

Nice! I need to get on that soon! I hope Maiden comes back next year to play another tour. I have had the opportunity to see them twice and fucked up both times for reasons beyond my control. I will definitely make it a new years resolution to finally catch this legendary band :rocker:

Meh wasnt as great as i hope it wouldve been.

I bet you didn't even stay for the entire show man. You probably had to leave around 10 PM or something like 70% of the people at that show(the majority of the crowed at that show were under the age of 16-17 and everyone around me were calling there moms and dads to pick them up cause of their set curfews and bullshit like that.). EITHER THAT or you must have had really high expectations from a show that didn't cost no more then 15 bucks.

smearCampaign
12-31-2010, 11:48 AM
I went to something like 35 shows this year, so here are my top 5 in no particular order....

FunFunFun Fest - Nov 6-7 - Waterloo Park, Austin TX
Mastodon / High On Fire / Floor / Kylesa / GWAR / Municipal Waste
FunFunFun Fest lives up to it's name and ended up being one of best weekends in Austin of the year for me. The lineup, the venue and the organization for a festival of that size were all great. Seeing Mastodon, High On Fire, Floor and Kylesa all in one day was like a stoner metal wet dream.

Rush - Sept 26 - Superpages Center, Dallas TX
This was my first time seeing Rush and it will not be the last. I know I'm preaching to the choir on this one, but I don't think Rush gets enough credit for their songwriting and timeless qualities of their music.

Tool - June 22 - Cedar Park Center, Cedar Park TX
Tool is hands down one of my favorite bands, so including this was a no brainer. Wovenhand was a really impressive opener, but was totally overshadowed when Tool walked out to a flaming Timothy Leary head repeating the 'Think For Yourself, Question Authority' intro version of Third Eye.

STS9 - Oct 30 - Stubbs BBQ, Austin TX
Halloween weekend in Austin, two back-to-back nights of Sound Tribe. The second night (the 30th) was when the costumed crowd came out and the boys of STS9 took the stage wearing Jason hockey masks and all black clothing with the Halloween theme song playing over the PA. STS9 always throws a great party and this was no exception. Crystal Instrument and Oil & Water were highlights of the night for me.

Skeletonwitch / Landmine Marathon - Dec 4 - Red 7, Austin TX
Metal. As. Fuck. For my money you can't get much more badass than Skeletonwitch. Those guys can shred your face off while pounding a beer and grinning ear to ear at the same time. Seeing Landmine Marathon for the third time this year didn't hurt the night at all. I need more of both of these bands in 2011.

Honorable Mentions: Wakarusa Music Festival, Bassnectar, Deftones, Crowbar, Eyehategod, The Black Dahlia Murder, Clutch

Also, I'm going to see The Sword tonight, so I might be adding to this list.

TonyD
12-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Missing Link in Oakland (Mastodon, High on Fire, Baroness, Priestess, BTBAM :zzz:) was awesome, but all of the bands had short sets and Brent walked off during 2 songs after finishing CTS, which was a pretty lame way to end the show.

Megadeth was really good but Slayer and Testament were... Slayer and Testament, so the show as a whole wasn't fantastic.

I'm gonna say Black Diamond Skye, because Alice In Chains was killer as usual, with great sound and lighting, and 45 minutes of Mastodon was better than no Mastodon. I don't really like Deftones but they weren't terrible live.

Didn't see anything that really blew my mind this year.

Sepultura69
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Tool - June 22 - Cedar Park Center, Cedar Park TX
Tool is hands down one of my favorite bands, so including this was a no brainer. Wovenhand was a really impressive opener, but was totally overshadowed when Tool walked out to a flaming Timothy Leary head repeating the 'Think For Yourself, Question Authority' intro version of Third Eye.

I don't know how this tour slipped past my radar. It sucks even more that they opened up the entire tour with "Third Eye" which is the best Tool song ever made in my opinion. :( :hecho::bouville:

idrinkwine732
12-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Didn't see anything that really blew my mind this year.

It's this sentence that really bothers me. Here we are, with music taste differences for sure, living in the same area going to a few of the same shows but with nearly opposite year end conclusions

I saw some really fucking awesome shows this year.

maidenpriest
12-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Going to go with individual performances since i saw 2 shows that had 2 bands that I enjoyed. only went to 4 shows :(

1.Rush
2.Blind Guardian
3.Iron Maiden
4.Dream Theater
5.Dir En Grey
6.Apocalyptica

DethMaiden
12-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Okay, copypasta from my own thread. I saw 57 live sets this year, here's the top ten:

1. Landmine Marathon (Toledo, 11/20)
Frontwoman Grace Perry may have eclipsed Neil Fallon and Rob Zombie as my favorite live performer, although I may be biased as I was on the receiving end of most of her good-natured violence.
Highlights: "Exist," "Bile Towers," "Chained by the Same Fate"
2. Alcest (Chicago, 4/24)
I still can't believe I saw this band. Neige is one of my biggest musical heroes and he made the first half of 2010 livable through his latest Alcest album and this stunning set.
Highlights: "Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde," "Écailles de Lune - Part 1," "Elevation"
3. Clutch (Cincinnati, 12/30)
In preparation for their annual New Year's extravaganza, my favorite live act of all time gave what may have been their best performance I've seen in six gigs, pulling out all the stops and fan favorites for a full house in one of my favorite venues.
Highlights: "(Notes from the Trial of) La Curandera," "Spacegrass," "The Dragonfly"
4. Iron Maiden (Cleveland, 7/15)
It was insanely ballsy for Maiden to march out a mostly Reunion Era setlist after 2006's AMOLAD debacle, but give them credit: all of those songs were exciting and fresh to this fan(boy) who had only previously seen them twice on the Somewhere Back in Time tour.
Highlights: "These Colours Don't Run," "Wrathchild," "Blood Brothers"
5. Clutch (Toledo, 6/6)
On a mini-tour attached to their Bonnaroo performance, Clutch marched out their first ever acoustic encore, which was a fascinating and, yes, ballsy move on their part. It wasn't always brilliant, but when brilliant moments shined through, it was more evidence to me that Clutch is probably the most creatively vital band on the planet. The non-acoustic portions of the set, of course, rocked.
Highlights: "The Soapmakers," "Electric Worry," "The Regulator"
6. Coheed and Cambria (Columbus, 8/27)
Relatively small outdoor summer concerts are some of the most fun things on Earth, and Coheed delivered one of the most fun nights of my life in August. The band was just totally on, and their crazy fans were probably the best audience I was a part of this year. I also crowd surfed for the first time in my life, so there's that.
Highlights: "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3," "Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)," "No World for Tomorrow"
7. Slayer (Fort Wayne, 10/14)
I finally got the chance to check one of my few remaining legendary acts off the need-to-see list this year, and they absolutely did not disappoint. They ripped through the Seasons in the Abyss record and a few other "hits" and made even the least enjoyable of those songs rip in a live setting.
Highlights: "War Ensemble," "Skeletons of Society," "Angel of Death"
8. Kylesa (Cincinnati, 12/30)
I wasn't a Kylesa fan until last night. I thought their music on record was just okay, and that the two-drummers-and-chick-singer thing was fairly gimmicky. Boy, was I wrong. Amazing set.
Highlights: Not dead sure on the titles of most of their stuff yet, but "Scapegoat" ruled - much, much better than it is on record, at least in my opinion.
9. Tegan and Sara (St. Louis, 4/2)
Fuck you, T&S is one of the best indie/pop-rock acts of all time. It isn't hipster; Pitchfork types can't stand them. Anyhow, they played for an incredibly long time at a very cool venue and I just had a generally great time at the show. Second time seeing them and I can guarantee a third.
Highlights: "Where Does the Good Go?," "Hell," "Call It Off"
10. Blind Guardian (Chicago, 11/29)
This is almost an honorary spot, because Blind Guardian have their problems as a live act. Hansi doesn't work the stage very well, and he doesn't even attempt some of the higher notes, and the mix was fairly off at times, but hey, I've been waiting to see BG since 2003, and they did a few of my favorite songs ever. When you're in the moment you're not analyzing the performance, and I had a ton of fun even if there's things I would have improved.
Highlights: "Nightfall," "A Voice in the Dark," "And Then There Was Silence"

Travis The Dragon
12-31-2010, 07:39 PM
The 2 best were Dimmu Borgir and Blind Guardian with BG being the best of the 2.

DisposableJustice
12-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Cause I'm a poor bastard, I was only able to see two shows but both were great

1. Iron Maiden and Dream Theater June 14th 2010 Comfort Dental Ampitheater (God what a horrible name) Englewood, CO- 2nd Time seeing the mighty maiden; Never had seen Dream Theater before but was impressed by them; Of course Iron Maiden was the highlight and this was the tour where they played mostly new stuff which confused some people in the sold out 20k audience:bouville: But I loved it even though there were a few songs I didn't know at first. Overall great time and Bruce was happy that Denver sold out the venue and said they would be back:party:

2. American Carnage- Slayer, Megadeth and Testament August 25th Magness Arena Denver, CO- A makeup date from January 25th when Tom from Slayer had his back operation. All 3 bands were great but of course I loved hearing two of my favorite albums in full (RIP and Seasons)

So with no disrespect to Maiden, I got to give the edge to American Carnage; Being able to hear two complete albums that (hopefully, in a good way) will not be played again

I'm hoping to attend more than 2 shows in 2011 but we'll see how my wallet feels

slapguitarer
01-01-2011, 12:40 AM
I'll do this. Top 5 shows of the year.

1. Rush: I don't really think there's much I can really say. It's fuckin' RUSH. They played some new rockin' tunes, Moving Pictures in it's entirety and many, many others. The only thing that could have made this show better is if the had play The Trees, Xanadu, and both Cygnus X-1 parts 1 and 2. But I'm not complaining. I'm far from it.

2. Sleep: I'm still new to this reviewing thing, so bare with me if what I'm typing starts to get a little repetitive or vague. Anywho, the fact that I was right smack in the front/middle and the fact that it was the home town show added to the experience. But either way, I would've loved the whole thing. Witnessing and album as heavy and awesome as Holy Mountain live is just breath taking. Hearing a good chunk of Dopesmoker is also something I can't forget. Seeing the band that really got me into the slower, heavier kind of Metal was just awesome.

3. Agalloch: Now, the fact that I loved this show as much as I did was honestly kind of a suprise to me, seeing as how I've only been listening to these guys for about 3 months. But Agalloch's music, to me anyways, is just magical. I'm having a really hard time putting the feeling I got when seeing Agalloch live into words. It's was kind of a religious experience, but better. I'll definitely see these guys when ever the chance strikes, which isn't going to be often.

4. The Missing Link Festival: Out of every concert I've ever been to, this one definitely had my favorite line up so far. Bison B.C., Black Cobra, Valient Thorr, Priestess, Baroness, High on Fire, Between the Buried and Me, and Mastodon. Now that is a behemoth of a line up. Every band put on a awesome set, well almost. Bison B.C. was a great way to start of the fest, with some Thrashy Sludge Metal. Seeing Black Cobra was pretty cool because it's not often you see a two piece in Metal perform live. Valient Thorr definitely put on the funnest show of the night. They're defintely the best party band ever. Priestess, well I can't really say much about them but they were good. Baroness and High on Fire were both awesome(side note: I really need to find synonym for the word "awesome"). BTBAM defintely had the best show of the night. They executed every song flawlessly and the set list was just awesome. Watching the god that is Paul Waggoner shred just a yard or two in front of me was, well, epic.
Now, even though they're my favorite band, Mastodon is where it went down hill. I don't feel like explaining it because I'm sure all of those who like Mastodon already know the story, so I'll just say that finally seeing Crusher Destroyer and Blood & Thunder live was the highlight of the set.

5. Stone Temple Pilots: I'll be truthful, I wasn't the most excited going into the show. It could be because I don't listen to them all that often or because their new album was pretty crappy, but my dad wanted me to come along and I knew it couldn't be bad. But, it turned out being really good. The opening band, Jet Stream, put on a really pleasing set. Plus, it's always interesting seeing people my age perform. Now, STP just put on a really fun show. They were extremely lively, played a bunch of good songs, and played them well. Even the new songs sounded really good live. I walked out of that show extremely content.

Honorable Mentions: Mayhem Fest 2010, Fear the Fiasco/Giants Orbiting(local bands) and Firegills(my friend's band).

Natrlhi
01-01-2011, 12:56 AM
4. The Missing Link Festival: Out of every concert I've ever been to, this one definitely had my favorite line up so far. Bison B.C., Black Cobra, Valient Thorr, Priestess, Baroness, High on Fire, Between the Buried and Me, and Mastodon. Now that is a behemoth of a line up. Every band put on a awesome set, well almost. Bison B.C. was a great way to start of the fest, with some Thrashy Sludge Metal. Seeing Black Cobra was pretty cool because it's not often you see a two piece in Metal perform live. Valient Thorr definitely put on the funnest show of the night. They're defintely the best party band ever. Priestess, well I can't really say much about them but they were good. Baroness and High on Fire were both awesome(side note: I really need to find synonym for the word "awesome"). BTBAM defintely had the best show of the night. They executed every song flawlessly and the set list was just awesome. Watching the god that is Paul Waggoner shred just a yard or two in front of me was, well, epic.
Now, even though they're my favorite band, Mastodon is where it went down hill. I don't feel like explaining it because I'm sure all of those who like Mastodon already know the story, so I'll just say that finally seeing Crusher Destroyer and Blood & Thunder live was the highlight of the set.
If I'd have been able to go to this, it would have won top gig honors before I even set foot in the joint, just out of principal alone. :drool: :bowdown:

slapguitarer
01-01-2011, 01:06 AM
If I'd have been able to go to this, it would have won top gig honors before I even set foot in the joint, just out of principal alone. :drool: :bowdown:

I totally know what you mean. Line up wise, it's the best show I've ever been to and will ever go to. But it's also about the performances and set lists and Rush, Sleep, and Agalloch beat all of those there. But I will say that BTBAM was the best band I saw all of last year, discluding the 3 I just mentioned.

adamclark52
01-01-2011, 12:33 PM
I only got to got to six shows this years since I work Monday-Thursday nights, so a show has to be really good for me to miss work, or on a weekend. I missed Devin Townsend, Suffocation (still pissed about that one), the Black Dahlia Murder, and a ton more. But I did get to see:

Hypocrisy - Annex Wreckroom, Toronto, May 29, 2010
Blackguard -N/A (missed them)
Suicide Silence - 3/5
Hypocrisy - 3.5/5

Obituary/Entombed - Opera House, Toronto, June 1, 2010
Ending Tyranny - 1/5
Rumplestiltskin Grinder - 3.5/5
Entombed - 4.5/5
Obituary - 4/5

the Melvins - Opera House, Toronto, September 1, 2010
the Melvins - 2/5

Immolation - Mod Club Theater, Toronto, October 4, 2010
Lecturnous Nochsomthing - 2.5/5
Abigail Williams - 2.5/5
Vader - 4.5/5
Immolation - 4.5/5

Nevermore - Opera House, Toronto, October 22, 2010
Hatesphere - 3/5
Blackguard - 4/5
Mutiany Within - N/A (I don't even remember seeing them)
Warbringer - 2/5
Nevermore - 4/5

Dimmu Borgir - Sound Academy, Toronto, December 12, 2010
Dawn of Ashes - 3/5
Blood Red Throne - 2.5/5
ENSLAVED - 5/5
Dimmu Borgir - N/A (after Enslaved I left)

Yeah, so Enslaved was definatly the best band/show of the year. They were so on that night and it was really unfortunate that they were stuck as an opening act.

the Melvins had to be the biggest dissapointment. They hadn't played Toronto in ten years and even once they got there it was clear that they DID NOT want to be there. No crowd interaction, no encore, and the setlist wasn't that great either. http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=14567&highlight=melvins

idrinkwine732
01-01-2011, 01:34 PM

It would have been #1 or 2 on mine if Hinds had stayed on for the whole set. I was pissed. :bouville:

slapguitarer
01-01-2011, 07:18 PM
It would have been #1 or 2 on mine if Hinds had stayed on for the whole set. I was pissed. :bouville:

Speaking of which, I was a little surpised it wasn't on your top 10 at all. Even with Hinds throwing a fit and beeing shit-faced drunk, it was an awesome show. I also recall you giving me shit for being disappointed, stating that I'd have to be crazy to be disappointed after seeing Crusher Destroyer live. I wanted Ol'e Nessie god damnit :bouville:

makethemsuffer12
01-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Mutiany Within - N/A (I don't even remember seeing them)

That's because they didn't play. They dropped off the tour before it started. Blackguard was their replacement.

Sepultura69
01-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Obituary/Entombed - Opera House, Toronto, June 1, 2010
Ending Tyranny - 1/5
Rumplestiltskin Grinder - 3.5/5
Entombed - 4.5/5
Obituary - 4/5

OBITUARY Headlining over Entombed?:confused:

Seriously? :confused:

..I would change it the other way around:rocker:

adamclark52
01-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Entombed were awesome that night but the one thing that kept it from being a 5/5 and the best show of the year was that they only have one guitar player now. Whenever there's a break or a solo the sound just dies.

idrinkwine732
01-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Speaking of which, I was a little surpised it wasn't on your top 10 at all. Even with Hinds throwing a fit and beeing shit-faced drunk, it was an awesome show. I also recall you giving me shit for being disappointed, stating that I'd have to be crazy to be disappointed after seeing Crusher Destroyer live. I wanted Ol'e Nessie god damnit :bouville:

Well, I probably gave you shit because I thought you were disappointed with the entire show, which is ludicrous.

To be frank, it's because of the quality of the 10 live acts that I saw that it didn't make my list. It was totally awesome, but not as good as the others.

DethMaiden
01-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Mastodon missed my list for similar Brent-related issues. I really, really hope he's spending this break from Mastodon getting his shit together or I have no problem campaigning for his unceremonious shit-canning.

ADD
01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Fondest memories of Shrinebuilder, Brant Bjork, Christian Mistress/Slough Feg and Agalloch. The latter was motherfucking religious, as were parts of the Shrinebuilder experience.

Natrlhi
01-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Scion Rock Fest, hands down.

For other details, stay tuned to my year-end thread (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=15624) [shameless plug :D].

JRA
01-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Okay, copypasta from my own thread. I saw 57 live sets this year, here's the top ten:

1. Landmine Marathon (Toledo, 11/20)
Frontwoman Grace Perry may have eclipsed Neil Fallon and Rob Zombie as my favorite live performer, although I may be biased as I was on the receiving end of most of her good-natured violence.
Highlights: "Exist," "Bile Towers," "Chained by the Same Fate"
2. Alcest (Chicago, 4/24)
I still can't believe I saw this band. Neige is one of my biggest musical heroes and he made the first half of 2010 livable through his latest Alcest album and this stunning set.
Highlights: "Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde," "Écailles de Lune - Part 1," "Elevation"
3. Clutch (Cincinnati, 12/30)
In preparation for their annual New Year's extravaganza, my favorite live act of all time gave what may have been their best performance I've seen in six gigs, pulling out all the stops and fan favorites for a full house in one of my favorite venues.
Highlights: "(Notes from the Trial of) La Curandera," "Spacegrass," "The Dragonfly"
4. Iron Maiden (Cleveland, 7/15)
It was insanely ballsy for Maiden to march out a mostly Reunion Era setlist after 2006's AMOLAD debacle, but give them credit: all of those songs were exciting and fresh to this fan(boy) who had only previously seen them twice on the Somewhere Back in Time tour.
Highlights: "These Colours Don't Run," "Wrathchild," "Blood Brothers"
5. Clutch (Toledo, 6/6)
On a mini-tour attached to their Bonnaroo performance, Clutch marched out their first ever acoustic encore, which was a fascinating and, yes, ballsy move on their part. It wasn't always brilliant, but when brilliant moments shined through, it was more evidence to me that Clutch is probably the most creatively vital band on the planet. The non-acoustic portions of the set, of course, rocked.
Highlights: "The Soapmakers," "Electric Worry," "The Regulator"
6. Coheed and Cambria (Columbus, 8/27)
Relatively small outdoor summer concerts are some of the most fun things on Earth, and Coheed delivered one of the most fun nights of my life in August. The band was just totally on, and their crazy fans were probably the best audience I was a part of this year. I also crowd surfed for the first time in my life, so there's that.
Highlights: "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3," "Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)," "No World for Tomorrow"
7. Slayer (Fort Wayne, 10/14)
I finally got the chance to check one of my few remaining legendary acts off the need-to-see list this year, and they absolutely did not disappoint. They ripped through the Seasons in the Abyss record and a few other "hits" and made even the least enjoyable of those songs rip in a live setting.
Highlights: "War Ensemble," "Skeletons of Society," "Angel of Death"
8. Kylesa (Cincinnati, 12/30)
I wasn't a Kylesa fan until last night. I thought their music on record was just okay, and that the two-drummers-and-chick-singer thing was fairly gimmicky. Boy, was I wrong. Amazing set.
Highlights: Not dead sure on the titles of most of their stuff yet, but "Scapegoat" ruled - much, much better than it is on record, at least in my opinion.
9. Tegan and Sara (St. Louis, 4/2)
Fuck you, T&S is one of the best indie/pop-rock acts of all time. It isn't hipster; Pitchfork types can't stand them. Anyhow, they played for an incredibly long time at a very cool venue and I just had a generally great time at the show. Second time seeing them and I can guarantee a third.
Highlights: "Where Does the Good Go?," "Hell," "Call It Off"
10. Blind Guardian (Chicago, 11/29)
This is almost an honorary spot, because Blind Guardian have their problems as a live act. Hansi doesn't work the stage very well, and he doesn't even attempt some of the higher notes, and the mix was fairly off at times, but hey, I've been waiting to see BG since 2003, and they did a few of my favorite songs ever. When you're in the moment you're not analyzing the performance, and I had a ton of fun even if there's things I would have improved.
Highlights: "Nightfall," "A Voice in the Dark," "And Then There Was Silence"

I thought Pastor of Muppets would make this. Shows what I know.

DethMaiden
01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Meh, I mean, it was a ton of fun, but it was also a seven song set by a cover band. I can't in good conscience put that above any of the sets that made my list.

JRA
01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
I suppose the best show I went to this year was American Carnage.

JuuKun
01-06-2011, 05:31 PM
My top five shows are all so close, and were all just absolutely amazing: Blind Guardian, Primal Fear, Devin Townsend Project, Cynic, and Apocalyptica.

Also, it's not fair to rank her with the metal performances because I'm biased - but in December I had a front row seat to see Jodi Benson (who voiced Ariel in The Little Mermaid) sing with the New Bedford Symphony Orchestra. As a huge lifelong Disney fan, there are really no words.

HackedUpForBBQ
01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Best club show - Pretty much a three way tie:
1) The Rust In Peace Tour w/ Megadeth, Testament and Exodus
2) The Blackest of the Black Tour w/ Danzig, Possessed, Marduk and Toxic Holocaust
3) Immortal

Best arena show - Rogers Waters: The Wall Live

Natrlhi
01-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Best shows posted here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=328422&postcount=15).

Best performances posted here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=329344&postcount=23).

SomewhereInTime72
01-13-2011, 04:58 AM
X Japan in September I think was best. The show was ridiculously good.

After that would be a 3way tie between mega thrash tour (rust in peace!!), Maiden's tour (Maiden are always one of the best shows every year they tour), and Opeth (Blackwater Park!).

JLRedWing13
01-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Iron Maiden/Dream Theater.

LAXdef16
02-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Iron Maiden/Dream Theater.
Same!

RAZOR
02-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Amon Amarth/Tyr/Holy Grail

Not only was it a fuckin' great show, but I met my boyfriend there. :3

InPatient5100
02-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Amon Amarth/Tyr/Holy Grail

Not only was it a fuckin' great show, but I met my boyfriend there. :3

Amon Amarth? They're from Sweden right?

idrinkwine732
02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Amon Amarth? They're from Sweden right?

Nick_to_the_face
02-11-2011, 10:25 PM

I'm trying to figure out if he does this stuff just to fuck with us...

smokebeer420
02-11-2011, 10:46 PM
mine would be goatwhore suffocation Behemoth ( never thought i would see behemoth again which made it the best show of 2010 for me) Devildriver or nemf which had valiant Thor,Baroness,between the Buried and me,Mastodon day1 and day 2 had swashbuckle cattle decapitation,skelentowitch,municipal waste,Eluviete,Job for a cowboy,Amon Amarth,Cannibal Corpse

illuminatus917
02-13-2011, 11:27 PM
A Silver Mt. Zion, followed closely by Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax.

jd091
02-16-2011, 12:49 AM
A toss up between Behemoth and Nile. Both were amazing, and unique in their own ways. Chimaira Christmas killed it too; its nice to see a band you like play for a solid 2 1/2 hours :)

Nick_to_the_face
02-16-2011, 06:15 AM
A toss up between Behemoth and Nile. Both were amazing, and unique in their own ways. Chimaira Christmas killed it too; its nice to see a band you like play for a solid 2 1/2 hours :)

I missed Nile when they came here....I hate you

jd091
02-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I missed Nile when they came here....I hate you

Nat went pretty in depth with his review, but it was probably the heaviest band I've ever witnessed, or will ever witness. Behemoth was cool because of their whole atmosphere and armor, but Nile is just another league of heavy.

Natrlhi
02-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Nat went pretty in depth with his reviewWell, duh. :D

Nile is just another league of heavy.Nailed it.
:bricks:

brutal_descent
02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
N00b here. I only started going to gigs this year so when you ask me at the end of 2011 I'll be able to give a gnarly-ass list. :cool:

Megadeth. Seeing them twice again, on European Carnage and on Rockstar Mayhem. :rocker:
Bullet for My Valentine. :tp: Guilty pleasure.
Soulfly. Don't mind SF's material, but went for his Sepultura songs. Fat little setlist comprising of seven Sepultura songs and twenty-something Soulflys. :allan:
The Dillinger Escape Plan. Most intense band ever. I think they're all OD'ing off of natural adrenaline after each show.
Pendulum. Not a big electronica guy, but that was one of the best pits I've ever been to. :party:

However, I saw Iron Maiden's first 2011 show last week, and that has to be the best gig I've ever been to. :rocker:
Seeing Reel Big Fish was pretty fun too.

hb420
02-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Usually for the most part not alot of great shit comes to Albuquerque so I'd have to say the High On Fire/Torche/Kylesa show from October. Three awesome bands back to back showing us heavy. :rocker: