THE HAUNTED
THE PROPHECY²³
TOKYO BLADE
TRIVIUM
TSJUDER
VISIONS OF ATLANTIS
VREID
WARRANT

Why must I live here?! If I EVER win a huge, multi million dollar lottery, there WILL be festivals like this over here! This I vow!

ravenheart
12-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Meh.

mankvill
12-21-2010, 02:37 PM
BLIND GUARDIAN
CHILDREN OF BODOM
ICED EARTH
JUDAS PRIEST
MAYHEM
MORBID ANGEL
MOTÖRHEAD
RHAPSODY OF FIRE
SODOM
SUICIDAL TENDENCIES
TSJUDER
VREID

meh

Sepultura69
12-21-2010, 02:39 PM
APOCALYPTICA
ICED EARTH
JUDAS PRIEST
MAYHEM
MORBID ANGEL
MOTÖRHEAD
OZZY OSBOURNE
SEPULTURA
SODOM
SUICIDAL TENDENCIES

:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

DisposableJustice
12-21-2010, 02:44 PM
If I ever get the chance to travel in Europe Wacken is at the town of my list of festivals to check out; I just love the fact that one of the worlds biggest festivals takes over the tiny German town for a few days!

idrinkwine732
12-21-2010, 03:01 PM
This is the worst lineup I've seen from them in a while but I'd still looove to go.

Derelict
12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Had a real good time in 2007. This lineup is nothing special though, IMO.

RAZOR
12-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I'd love to goto Wacken one day.

JLRedWing13
12-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah, that lineup is AWFUL. :tp:

street_burial
12-21-2010, 03:34 PM
ACCU§ER
APOCALYPTICA
AVANTASIA
BLAAS OF GLORY
BLOWSIGHT
CRADLE OF FILTH
EXCREMENTORY GRINDFUCKERS
HAYSEED DIXIE
IN SOLITUDE
KHOLD
KNORKATOR
MAYHEM
OZZY OSBOURNE
PRIMAL FEAR
RHAPSODY OF FIRE
RUSSKAJA
SKÁLMÖLD
SKI KING
SMACK BALLZ
STIER
SUBWAY TO SALLY
SUICIDAL TENDENCIES
THE PROPHECY²³
TOKYO BLADE
TSJUDER
VISIONS OF ATLANTIS
VREID

meh

ravenheart
12-21-2010, 04:32 PM
It's one of the few I really don't want to go to. It's the Blabbermouth of European festivals. Too big, too many metal-wannabe tweens who think it's the only festival in Europe, too many bands so great bands end up playing 30 minute sets etc. etc.

I haven't decided what I'll go to next year. But I know Sonisphere, Download, Wacken and Bloodstock are probably the four most certain to not be on the list.

DethMaiden
12-21-2010, 04:34 PM
It's one of the few I really don't want to go to. It's the Blabbermouth of European festivals. Too big, too many metal-wannabe tweens who think it's the only festival in Europe, too many bands so great bands end up playing 30 minute sets etc. etc.

I haven't decided what I'll go to next year. But I know Sonisphere, Download, Wacken and Bloodstock are probably the four most certain to not be on the list.

I get that vibe too. I used to really want to go, now I could honestly care less. I wish more festivals were like Maryland Death Fest, i.e. not a field with a million people in it where it's nigh impossible to be close to the stage and the sound blows.

JRA
12-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Surprised to see Ozzy and Suicidal Tendencies there.

Maiden33
12-21-2010, 04:39 PM
I get that vibe too. I used to really want to go, now I could honestly care less. I wish more festivals were like Maryland Death Fest, i.e. not a field with a million people in it where it's nigh impossible to be close to the stage and the sound blows.

Hence the exponential appeal of ProgPower USA to me. Held in basically a theater with a 1,200 capacity. GA floor, GA seats around the sides and in the back. 6 bands a night, no one plays under 45 minutes.

ravenheart
12-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Being in a field works, provided the crowd is capped at around 35,000 people. Multiple stages thins that out as well. The sound doesn't have to suck at outdoor fests, and the view doesn't have to suck either. But the fest needs to do it right, and doing it right doesn't mean selling as many tickets as physically possible at the detriment of all other aspects of the event. Which is how most major fests operate.

Wacken runs on reputation alone. Just look at the reaction to European fests on this board alone, and multiply that up. Mention a dozen fests and everyone says "I'd love to go to Wacken". It's like mentioning a European holiday and everyone saying they want to visit Paris. It's a dump, but everyone believes it's the place to go to. Everyone believes the same about Wacken in the context of European festivals. There are countless better festivals.

ravenheart
12-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Surprised to see Ozzy and Suicidal Tendencies there.

Why? When they do Summer European tours both play several big festivals.

There isn't a single surprising band on the bill apart from Avantasia, who were announced first. It's an exclusive in a year when no Avantasia shows were expected. The rest are mostly Wacken regulars.

Derelict
12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I thought I had a good time in 2007, and that everyone I wanted to see played for over 50 minutes, and that I got up front on the rail for a couple bands, but I'm glad everyone here was able to set me straight. Phew.

ShatteredFlame
12-21-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't really understand the American appeal in European metal festivals in general. Most of the main stage bands wind up touring the US eventually in smaller venues, which is most likely a better show. Then the bands that might never get to play in America that are probably the best acts to see only get like a 30 minute set because they are not big enough.

That being said, I love Road Burn and Obscene Extreme Fest. Mainly because they constantly have incredible lineups, exclusive acts that you might never see anywhere else playing all weekend.

bt11763
12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
I thought I had a good time in 2007, and that everyone I wanted to see played for over 50 minutes, and that I got up front on the rail for a couple bands, but I'm glad everyone here was able to set me straight. Phew.

:fist:

i would like to go to wacken.

300%_Density
12-21-2010, 06:24 PM
So am I really gonna be the first one to bring this up for Wacken?
http://mylifeaccordingtomeandmeonly.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/warrant2.jpg

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
12-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Hence the exponential appeal of ProgPower USA to me. Held in basically a theater with a 1,200 capacity. GA floor, GA seats around the sides and in the back. 6 bands a night, no one plays under 45 minutes.

I'm very glad I decided to go to ProgPower X last year. It was worth it just to see Pagan's Mind and Fates Warning. Orphaned land was a plus as well.

Maiden33
12-21-2010, 07:07 PM
@ 300% Density
1) Warrant isn't nearly as bad as "Cherry Pie" indicates, and as most people would have you believe.

2) Warrant is also far from the worst band on this bill, or to have ever played Wacken.

300%_Density
12-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Yea I know they aren't all bad but it just seems funny to see them on a festival like this. Plus it gave me the opportunity to put a funny horrible 80s pic up as well. But yes agreed they aren't as terrible as Cherry Pie

Butcher of Birth
12-21-2010, 08:57 PM
The only bands I would care for are Avantasia, Blind Guardian, Bodom, Rhapsody, and Priest. The rest is just nice to see. Minus Trivium, fucktards.

Griphook
12-22-2010, 02:01 AM
JUDAS PRIEST
KHOLD
MAYHEM
MORBID ANGEL
MOTÖRHEAD
OZZY OSBOURNE
SKÁLMÖLD
SODOM
SUICIDAL TENDENCIES
THE PROPHECY²³
TSJUDER
VREID

:rocker:

I really don't understand the hate this festival gets. The people that go to Wacken aren't half that bad as you guys say. Or maybe I just am an anti-social asshole that ignores most people.

Derelict
12-22-2010, 04:59 AM
:rocker:

I really don't understand the hate this festival gets. The people that go to Wacken aren't half that bad as you guys say. Or maybe I just am an anti-social asshole that ignores most people.

I honestly don't think I saw a single teenager there. We had people in our camping area from all over the world, everyone was cool with us, was just so awesome.

ravenheart
12-22-2010, 06:41 AM
@ 300% Density
1) Warrant isn't nearly as bad as "Cherry Pie" indicates, and as most people would have you believe.

2) Warrant is also far from the worst band on this bill, or to have ever played Wacken.

Wrong Warrant.

300%_Density
12-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Wrong Warrant.

No shit? There's more than 1 Warrant?

ravenheart
12-22-2010, 03:02 PM
No shit? There's more than 1 Warrant?

Yep. This one is a German speed metal band.

http://www.warrant-germany.de/

300%_Density
12-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Yep. This one is a German speed metal band.

http://www.warrant-germany.de/

Ahhh I stand corrected then. Thank you sir.