PDA

View Full Version : Serious ear question for those frequent concert goers.

xStructualDefect
12-19-2010, 05:21 AM
does anyone ever get ringing ears after a concert? well my friend told me his uncle has been going to concerts for about 20 years, and he has ringing ears all day every day because of all the concerts he's been to in his life. well i just noticed a month or so ago that i have ringing ears every night. i think it's been going on for about a least a year.

anyone else have this problem?

Derelict
12-19-2010, 05:40 AM
I do, cause I'm stupid and never wore earplugs - please please please everyone, wear ear plugs. Its never too late to start.

mastodon421
12-19-2010, 06:12 AM
It's isn't permanent yet for me, but each concert I go to it lasts for a longer period of time afterwards, I really should start wearing ear plugs.

jhdeity
12-19-2010, 06:50 AM
I've been going to concerts and local shows for many, many years and have never had a problem. If you're smart and don't stand right by the speakers, you'll be fine. I did stand too close to a speaker once and it took like 3 days to go away, other than that I've never had a problem. I have more of a problem seeing someone wearing earplugs at a show. hahaha

JuuKun
12-19-2010, 07:50 AM
It's isn't permanent yet for me, but each concert I go to it lasts for a longer period of time afterwards,

This. I have a pair of earplugs that I bring now, but there's some shows where I forget to bring them or something and it lasts longer each time now.

Really, get earplugs. For like usually $20 or so you can get a pretty good pair that won't mess with the sound quality, just lower the volume. Unless you fancy the idea of hearing that ringing for the rest of your life.

Derelict
12-19-2010, 07:52 AM
I used to make fun of people that wore ear plugs at shows...now I have trouble sleeping some nights since I have a permanent ringing in my ears. I've been to almost 200 shows, and I'm very rarely on the floor/near the stage.

DethMaiden
12-19-2010, 07:55 AM
I've been to 80+ shows, never worn earplugs, rarely stand back from the stage, and I haven't noticed any ringing except after only the loudest shows, and never for more than a couple hours after the gig.

I do, however, have to ask people to speak up all the time. My story is that a lot of people are mumblers who don't enunciate, but I'm probably going deaf.

ChildrenofSodom
12-19-2010, 08:15 AM
I don't go to a lot of concerts these days, mostly because nobody good comes to Columbus, but I used to in high school. I did have trouble with my ears ringing because I was always on the rail, where it is the loudest, and I went to a lot of small post-rock shows, and those dudes are LOUD!

Whenever I go to shows now, I bring ear plugs if I'm going to be on the rail, but my ears are usually fine if I'm in the pit/back of the venue. Sounds better back there anyway.

The WORST ear ringing I ever experienced was after Zoroaster in Indianapolis, standing right in front of the speaker....I couldn't hear right for 3 days, I felt drunk, my equilibrium was off, and I got sick. Very bad experience.

Derelict
12-19-2010, 08:21 AM
I've been to 80+ shows, never worn earplugs, rarely stand back from the stage, and I haven't noticed any ringing except after only the loudest shows, and never for more than a couple hours after the gig.

I do, however, have to ask people to speak up all the time. My story is that a lot of people are mumblers who don't enunciate, but I'm probably going deaf.

Wear earplugs. It's cumulative damage and its only going to get worse. Take it from an old man.

DethMaiden
12-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Can you recommend a decent pair that doesn't make the sound suck?

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
12-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Yes, Take it from a guy who has been going to metal shows for 26 years. Wear ear plugs!!! It doesn't make you a pussy.

Do it now while you guys are still young. I promise that you will have noticeable hearing loss if you don't. Especially as many concerts as some of you guys go to. I have hearing loss from loud concerts. Especially in my right ear. I know by the time I'm in my 50's or 60's I'm going to need hearing aids.

The last time I forgot ear plugs was Heaven & Hell/Megadeth in '07. My right ear hurt for two weeks.

I just use the cheap orange foam ones you can buy at CVS or any drug store. They come in a pack of 12. I've had the same pack for a few years. I keep it in the glove box of my car so I always have them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Maiden33
12-19-2010, 09:10 AM

This. All of it, haha.

evildeadjedi
12-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Don't be afraid to wear ear plugs at shows, it's much better than going deaf.

.....And knowing is half the battle.....

Probably, would have had better effect if Manks said it.

Fires Of Sedition
12-19-2010, 09:36 AM
I usually only wear ear plugs for shitty openers, but now that I think about it, I always hear their music better with ear plugs in than the headliner's music without ear plugs. I always get ringing in my ears after shows but for some reason after the Arsis show on Thursday there was no ringing at all. I was front, center stage the whole show, too. But yeah, I'll probably start bringing ear plugs from work to shows for all my friends and I.

Speaking of Arsis, I wrote a long ass review of the show on Thursday and when I pressed the Submit button my computer fucked up and it didn't post. :(

larvtard
12-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I've always laughed at the concept of wearing earplugs, too, but recently I've started wearing them, after I had a scare at the Every Time I Die show- my ears rang for 2 and a half days.
Actually, I already have tinnitus. It's not horrible, but when I'm in bed I hear a pretty loud hum in my ears. I only hear it when it's totally silent, though.

IrritatedTrout
12-19-2010, 09:49 AM

Pretty much the same here but I do wear ear plugs for any openers that I don't care about.

idrinkwine732
12-19-2010, 10:00 AM
I've worn earplugs to every one of my fiftyish or so shows I've been to and I have no side effects. The earplugs at my local Walgreens are great when used correctly and they don't muffle sound at all. I want to be able to hear my kids speak one day, so I will wear them as long as I go to concerts.

El Gordo
12-19-2010, 10:03 AM
I've been to over 80 shows, used to go to a lot more when I was younger. I've never worn earplugs to any of them. I played in a death/thrash band for about eight years, tried wearing earplugs but hated it. The only time my ears rang was after I saw Sepultura and was standing right in front of a speaker for the entire set. (Although come to think of it, I guess I just got used to the ringing after practices - but it was never enough to keep me up at night or anything.) My hearing isn't the greatest, my wife often has to repeat herself -- but hey, what wife doesn't? Am I right? Lol, anyways, I would actually recommend wearing earplugs. I never noticed any significant damage, but I'm sure it's been done.

ravenheart
12-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Can you recommend a decent pair that doesn't make the sound suck?

Doc's Pro Plugs. The ones with the vent. Been using them for five years. Not only do they prevent ear damage, they have made every show I've been to since using them sound BETTER. I got a set for my brother for the occasional show he comes to and he says the same thing.

For people who find their ears ring for a bit after a show but it doesn't last, it doesn't matter that it doesn't last. If your ears ring at all, the damage is done. Every time your ears ring that's a frequency you can no longer hear.

Natrlhi
12-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Yes, Take it from a guy who has been going to metal shows for 26 years. Wear ear plugs!!! It doesn't make you a pussy.

Do it now while you guys are still young. I promise that you will have noticeable hearing loss if you don't.This...

I just use the cheap orange foam ones you can buy at CVS or any drug store. They come in a pack of 12. I've had the same pack for a few years. I keep it in the glove box of my car so I always have them.This...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus...and this. Wear ear plugs, seriously.

A trick I have learned is that if you seat them really well in your ears, you'll get maximum protection but you might miss some of the high end, which makes the sound seem as if you're hearing it through a wall. This is a good thing, though - because it's mainly the highs that do the most damage (although lows are also bad if you're really close to the source, so basically you should stay the fuck away from any speakers which are bigger than you :D). Sometimes, I pull the plugs out just a little, and I notice I can hear the highs a little better without getting the buzzing and the pain that accompanies hearing loss. If I find just the right happy medium, it actually makes the show sound better, as others have said. I don't get any ringing, I can hear fine after the show, and I enjoy the sound and the overall experience a whole lot more.

I'm betting that the plugs Ravenheart mentioned accomplish this same thing without having to fuck around with them, so those might be a good idea as well. I'd just hate to lose a pair of expensive ones, so I'll keep dicking around with the cheap orange foam ones, because I can get as many of those I want for free from work. :fist:

mankvill
12-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, but it wears off around 24 hours later. It's only lasted longer when I've seen REALLY loud bands, like Boris and Motorhead.

I guess I could wear ear plugs.

But I think I'll give it a few more years. :D

ravenheart
12-19-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm betting that the plugs Ravenheart mentioned accomplish this same thing without having to fuck around with them, so those might be a good idea as well. I'd just hate to lose a pair of expensive ones, so I'll keep dicking around with the cheap orange foam ones, because I can get as many of those I want for free from work. :fist:

The ones I use cost around 15/16. The vent means you can still hold a conversation. And I don't have the loss of high-end problem.

Apparently cheaper Stateside: http://www.hotlineonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPV&Category_Code=proplugs&Store_Code=proplugs

ravenheart
12-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah, but it wears off around 24 hours later. It's only lasted longer when I've seen REALLY loud bands, like Boris and Motorhead.

That's the point. The ringing wears off, but the damage doesn't.

BloodoftheKings
12-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Apparently cheaper Stateside: http://www.hotlineonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPV&Category_Code=proplugs&Store_Code=proplugs

I should get these, are they sold in stores? I experienced the same kind of scare lognarchy had when I saw the misfits last week. My ears rung for 2 days.

300%_Density
12-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Damn. You guys got me all paranoid and shit. Yet at the same time I know all of this is right. I think it will be something that I will see about investing in. I have that same attitude of "my ears stopped ringing but were fine the next day". But yes I'm sure you guys are right. I'm glad that I read this.

xStructualDefect
12-20-2010, 05:33 AM
i didn't think it'd be that big of an issue and that i was the only one. i'm really glad i started this thread. i'm going to start wearing earplugs now. i have somewhat ringing ears all the time now. it's only noticeable when it's very quiet though.

2 months ago i took a girl to a show. after the show she told me that it was very loud and that her ears were still ringing the next day. i didn't think it was that loud and my ears weren't really ringing. i thought my ears were just used to loud noises from all the shows i've been to, but i didn't realize it was a problem.

Natrlhi
12-20-2010, 06:46 AM
http://www.hotlineonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPV&Category_Code=proplugs&Store_Code=proplugsIt says they're suitable for water sports. That means different things to some people than it does to others. ;)

It also says they're good for light industrial use, which is around 110 - 115 dB. Most loud shows are in the 120 - 140 dB range, and these plugs are rated to reduce that by only about 20 dB, which means you almost need more than this to really be safe.

Now, I'm not saying these plugs aren't well made, but rather that even while wearing them, it's a good idea not to stand too close to - or in direct line with - the speakers at a show. I always make a conscious decision to locate myself so that I'm not directly in the line of fire - especially if I forget my earplugs for some reason (speaking of which - I've seen them selling the cheap foam ones at the merch tables at some shows for around two or three bucks - this may seem like they're trying to make money off something which should be super cheap, but I would actually recommend buying them if you ever forget yours...what's two or three bucks compared to deterioration of your hearing?).

Sounds like a good idea for a New Year's resolution for those of you who don't wear ear plugs... ;)

Crionics
12-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Yeah, I've always laughed at the concept of wearing earplugs, too, but recently I've started wearing them, after I had a scare at the Every Time I Die show- my ears rang for 2 and a half days.
Actually, I already have tinnitus. It's not horrible, but when I'm in bed I hear a pretty loud hum in my ears. I only hear it when it's totally silent, though.

Same here, is this like a really bad thing for our age? :lol: I don't think it's from going to so many shows for me, more of listening to loud music daily.

xStructualDefect
12-20-2010, 07:06 AM

THIS. everything. except it's not too loud, but it is annoying at times.

Sanitarium78
12-20-2010, 08:35 AM
In all my years of going to rock and metal shows I always get ringing in my ears after a concert. But within a day or so it wears off and everything is OK again. I don't doubt that when I get older it won't result in more problems but as of right now there's no permanent damage that I notice at all.

The only time i've ever had major problems with my hearing after a show was when I saw Black Sabbath in 1992 and 1995. They played small venues but Iommi's amps were cranked up to arena volumes of heaviness:rocker:

I was probably legally deaf for a few days after both of these shows. It took over a week for my ears to stop ringing and get back to normal. More often i've noticed now that i'm trying to stay away from the amps and get a spot about halfway back in the crowd so the damage isn't as bad.

ravenheart
12-20-2010, 08:52 AM
It says they're suitable for water sports. That means different things to some people than it does to others. ;)

It also says they're good for light industrial use, which is around 110 - 115 dB. Most loud shows are in the 120 - 140 dB range, and these plugs are rated to reduce that by only about 20 dB, which means you almost need more than this to really be safe.

The watersports ones are a different set.

I agree you still shouldn't stand in front of the speakers (although I have, and have had no trouble sometimes, other times I have and still had ringing ears), but on the whole I have found them to be very effective since I started using them five years ago. The first pair I bought came from a drum shop.

Derelict
12-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the info Ravenheart - my new years resolution is to wear earplugs to shows.

JLRedWing13
12-20-2010, 09:28 AM
I've worn earplugs since summer 2009 and am seriously glad I did. I just wear the cheap earplugs from CVS and they work wonders.

street_burial
12-20-2010, 06:18 PM
i only wear plugs every few shows, but the ones i do put in are the ones that came with my rifle. they work great, the sound gets a little bit muffled, but no ringing after or during the show at all

ravenheart
12-21-2010, 05:01 AM
Surprised manks hasn't weighed in with EARPLUGS ARE FOR GIRLS at some point...

smearCampaign
12-21-2010, 07:39 AM
I bring earplugs to every show I go to. If it's an outdoor venue and I'm a distance from the stage, they probably won't go in. But, if it's an indoor venue it's basically a must. To me, it makes the music sound clearer in the kind of indoor venues most metal shows are at. They are an absolute must for the electronic shows I go to. Bassnectar gives out free plugs at all his shows and a guy who wears Napalm Death shirts while pumping out that kind of bass wobble should know a thing or two about hearing loss.

RAZOR
12-21-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm usually always at the rail, and usually always near a speaker, but I haven't had ringing in my ears for a while. Earlier in the year my ears would ring the day after, but the past few months I haven't had any ringing at all. :confused:

bt11763
12-22-2010, 09:53 PM
i have tinnitus too, undiagnosed technically but there's no point in going to a doctor because they can't do shit for you. i've started using plugs, i like it. just get the foam ones that you twist and put into your ear. it's great actually, you don't feel like shit after, if you're talking to someone they can scream right into your ear without it bothering you (which is a huge fucking pet peeve of mine at shows), and it's healthier. plus you can hear the music better without the wall of sound hitting your drums as hard.