PDA

View Full Version : The Great Djent Debate

jhdeity
12-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Most people know I'm not a fan of the "categories" of metal and find the debates very humorous. So when I told a friend that Periphery was my favorite prog cd of 2010 and he said "Dude, they're Djent" I just cracked up.

I know what Djent is but never thought it was the new metal category. I asked him other than Meshuggah and Periphery who else is Djent or uses that style and he said there are tons of bands out there thanks to Misha of Periphery. Once again I cracked up. I was like don't you mean Meshuggah? He said no. They created it but Misha of Periphery is known as the King of Djent.

Just curious what people on here think. If you wiki Djent only a band called Benevolent comes up. I found some interesting clips on youtube including a dude who calls himself Hydrodjent who absolutely rules.

So who created it, who made it huge and is it the coolest metal category of all time? Let the debate begin...

Top 10? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xabuJ81r11A

Hydrodjent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGJnbFF4lMw

SomewhereInTime72
12-16-2010, 09:15 AM
I find Djent to be incredibly boring, despite liking the basic ideas behind it.

DethMaiden
12-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Never heard of Djent until this thread but based on the clips it sounds like exactly the kind of tech death that I hate. Not my bag.

EDIT: #1 on there was Animals As Leaders? Shit, if that's what good djent sounds like then I DEFINITELY hate djent.

treghet
12-16-2010, 09:26 AM
I like a few of the "djent" bands, but the genre itself is a joke. To me it's just progressive metal - I mean how many years has Meshuggah been around before people started calling them djent?

IrritatedTrout
12-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Never heard that term before.

Spiral_Slave
12-16-2010, 09:53 AM
I just started hearing this term and didn't understand what the fuck it meant. But yeah, basically just seems like some hip term for progressive death metal.

ChildrenofSodom
12-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I think its a made up term.

But I like bands like Protest the Hero, Between the Buried and Me, and Cynic, that have similar attributes in their music. Also, Behold the Arctopus came to mind when I listened to this album. It sounds like a weird corruption of Death, Atheist, and shitty deathcore.

That being said, I don't like any of the bands in that video except Animals as Leaders. And I only like 1/10 of the bands in this new genre of progressive tech death(core) whatever, like Allegaeon, Obscura, and a few songs by The Faceless.

JRA
12-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I thought this was going to be a Django Reindhardt discussion thread.

TonyD
12-16-2010, 11:08 AM
I thought this was going to be a Django Reindhardt discussion thread.

This

Sounds like a stupid new sub-sub-genre for people that think prog metal is to broad. Fuck that, it's all music.

ChildrenofSodom
12-16-2010, 11:20 AM
This

Sounds like a stupid new sub-sub-genre for people that think prog metal is to broad. Fuck that, it's all music.

Yeah, I always find stuff I like when I type "music" into pandora. My mix station for Lady Gaga, Bruce Springsteen, David Allan Coe, and Behemoth is awesome, cause, I mean, its all music right?

TonyD
12-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I always find stuff I like when I type "music" into pandora. My mix station for Lady Gaga, Bruce Springsteen, David Allan Coe, and Behemoth is awesome, cause, I mean, its all music right?

I don't use it :cool:
I'm just sick of most metal bands (or most artists in general) making music as a practice of a niche instead of art.

DethMaiden
12-16-2010, 11:30 AM
It goes too far both ways.

"Djent" is too far one way.

"It's all metal" is too far the other way.

Most everything is some form of traditional, thrash, death, black, prog, post- and power. Throwing a couple descriptive terms around it is fine. Calling yourself something that doesn't include any of those words might be taking it a bit too far.

jhdeity
12-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Apparently it is a made up term... made up by some of the best guitarists in the world.

I'm impressed actually. I had the EP The Concept of Dreaming by Volumes and always thought it reminded me of Meshuggah. Now I know why...

With so many bands sounding alike and regurgitating the same shit I'm glad more bands are copying Meshuggah and their style. That being said I still think the metal categories and people who use them so strictly are comical.

Volumes have been described as Deathcore, Prog, Djent, Math Metal and Progressive Metalcore. Fucking stupid. I'd like to create a new category: Meshuggah-ish! hahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L0wJrj6yHI

Derelict
12-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Jenkem >> djent

mankvill
12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Listening to that top 10 djent metal bands or whatever.

It's just mathcore/progressive death metal. And occasionally taking a lot of inspiration from MSI.

Hipsters can be such fucking faggots sometimes.

jhdeity
12-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Listening to that top 10 djent metal bands or whatever.

It's just mathcore/progressive death metal. And occasionally taking a lot of inspiration from MSI.

Hipsters can be such fucking faggots sometimes.

For the record the people who came up with the name didn't create it to describe a band or type of music. Below is the description I found and ironically my buddy was right it seems. I still prefer Messugah-ish to describe the actual bands. hahahaha

Djent is used to describe a certain kind of guitar tone characterized by medium-high gain, a quick-release noise gate to emphasize staccato playing, a cut of most bass below 200Hz for a tight low end, a slight boost around 800hz for clarity, and a noticeable boost around 1.6Khz to emphasize pick attack. When a two-octave power chord is palm-muted with this tone, a "djent" sound is created rather than the typical chunkier sound.

Djent also refers to repeated staccato playing of the lowest-pitch string on a detuned 6 string or 7 string guitar with a powerful attack such that the string goes very slightly sharp upon the pick's release from the string. Lower-gauge strings are used to facilitate this.

Djent tone is many times created using a Line 6 amp modeling product such as the Pod series or the Axe-Fx. When possible, an amp model such as the Big Bottom or Modern High Gain on these devices is used in conjunction with a modeled Tube Screamer in front. Engl and Mesa amplifiers are typically used when tube amplification is preferred.

Djent is widely acknowledged to have come first from Meshuggah, but Misha 'Bulb' Mansoor has arguably popularized the sound. Djent's typical uses give rise to a "genre" of djent that is characterized by hi-fi compressed production, polyrhythmic/staccato distorted riffs and ambient clean passages which make liberal use of 9 and other "jazzy" chords. Electronica influences such as glitchy percussion and synthesizers are also incorporated.

mankvill
12-16-2010, 02:19 PM
I guess that makes sense. It still sounds WAY too arty. :lol:

MPF
12-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Djent, just like every genre of music:

A few winners, a whole lot of losers.

mankvill
12-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Djent, just like every genre of music:

A few winners, a whole lot of losers.

Um, excuse me. You must've never heard Tlak metal.

jhdeity
12-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I guess that makes sense. It still sounds WAY too arty. :lol:

Yeah I think it's way technical and over my head. I just like the riffs and time changes. I do find it amusing I've seen that guy Misha out at many shows and had no idea he was such an internet legend. Small world, eh?

MPF
12-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Um, excuse me. You must've never heard Tlak metal.

You're right, that's the first time I ever saw the term before.

TonyD
12-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Jenkem >> djent

:fist:

mankvill
12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
You're right, that's the first time I ever saw the term before.

I can't find it now, but I remember seeing either on Wikipedia or Last.FM that Akon Ktrh (http://www.last.fm/music/A%C3%A4kon+K%C3%AB%C3%ABtr%C3%ABh) played a genre known as "tlak" (you can still see it in the tags on last.fm) that just stood for "The Lord Akon Ktrh" :lol:

MPF
12-16-2010, 08:39 PM
I can't find it now, but I remember seeing either on Wikipedia or Last.FM that Akon Ktrh (http://www.last.fm/music/A%C3%A4kon+K%C3%AB%C3%ABtr%C3%ABh) played a genre known as "tlak" (you can still see it in the tags on last.fm) that just stood for "The Lord Akon Ktrh" :lol:

Haha, wow!

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
12-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Weren't they calling this stuff "math-metal" five years ago?

SomewhereInTime72
12-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Pretty much.

mankvill
12-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Weren't they calling this stuff "math-metal" five years ago?

"mathcore" is baller :cool:

MPF
12-19-2010, 05:25 PM
"...and the term 'djent' makes my asshole shrivel up.

just sayin...

THIS!