PDA

View Full Version : Blind Guardian -- San Francisco, CA -- December 8th, 2010

Onioner
12-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Awesome, simply awesome. There isn't anything that hasn't already been said about Blind Guardian's shows as of late, but to reiterate, they were skullfuckingly good.

1. Sacred Worlds
2. Welcome to Dying
3. Born In a Mourning Hall
4. Nightfall
5. Fly
6. Time Stands Still (at the Iron Hill)
7. Lost in the Twilight Hall:rocker:
8. Bright Eyes
9. Lord of the Rings
10. A Voice in the Dark
11. Imaginations From the Other Side
ENCORE
12. Wheel of Time
13. The Bard's Song - In the Forest
14. Valhalla
15. Mirror Mirror

I was trying so hard to get a Majesty chant going after every song, but all I got were "fuck you"s from the audience:finger2:. No Majesty is my sole complaint about Blind Guardian, but it's okay because we got Lost In the Twilight Hall! The new songs completely crush their studio counterparts played live, Fly included. I say this primarily because you can actually hear bass guitar when they play it live! The clapping during Fly was also a lot of fun since Hansi had us clap on the off-beat. I gotta say, as a whole the audience kinda sucked. Hansi had to sing a majority of The Bard's Song because the audience failed at singing along. We also failed to sing the chorus of Valhalla when the song was over until Hansi had to motion for us to sing. Very, very lame. Sadly, all of the warhorses got the best reception. There was plenty of fists pumped and some moshing going on (even during Lord of the Rings!), but as a whole the crowd failed hard at chanting and singing. You could definitely tell it was a thrash metal crowd instead of a power metal crowd. It's really too bad, Blind Guardian gave such a great performance and a hell of a setlist, and we couldn't live up to a standard power metal crowd expectation. At least Hansi mentioned they'll come by in sooner than 4 years this time, so here's hoping for a better crowd (and Majesty) next time!

DethMaiden
12-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Niiiiiice, Lost in the Twilight Hall. Been jamming that multiple times a day lately.

Onioner
12-09-2010, 04:30 PM
It was kind of sad, on the way back from the show when I tried to sing the chorus so my friends would know what Lost In the Twilight Hall sounded like no noise came from my mouth no matter how hard I tried. Singing (screaming) at the concert completely destroyed the upper register of my voice. :D

maidenpriest
12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
I was trying so hard to get a Majesty chant going after every song, but all I got were "fuck you"s from the audience:finger2:. Sadly, all of the warhorses got the best reception.

First off, great review. Im afraid of both of these happening on saturday. I have no idea how the power metal scene is here. So I'm deathly afraid of a poor turn out and a shorter set as a result.

singing (screaming) at the concert completely destroyed the upper register of my voice. :D

This is definitely happening to me on saturday haha

Travis The Dragon
12-09-2010, 04:39 PM
The audience for our show seemed just the opposite. Completely insane. After the first song, they all started a "GUARDIAN! GUARDIAN!" chant and did an amazing singalong for Valhalla and The Bard's Song. It was a total power metal crowd with NO mosh pits EVER. Different types of audiences in different areas.

Also, I wonder if bands say the same things to audiences everywhere. After Valhalla and The Bard's Song, Hansi said the audience was so amazing at the singalong job they did. Did he make any comments like that at your show?

Maiden33
12-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Moshing during Lord of the Rings? Wow, people are stupid.

maidenpriest
12-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Moshing during Lord of the Rings? Wow, people are stupid.

I've seen worse songs be moshed to... like Love You to Death at the Kamelot show 2 years ago...

maidenpriest
12-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Also, I wonder if bands say the same things to audiences everywhere. After Valhalla and The Bard's Song, Hansi said the audience was so amazing at the singalong job they did. Did he make any comments like that at your show?

I doubt BG did at this one, Hansi rarely sings most of the Bard's Song. When i saw them in 2006, he mightve sang like 5 verse lines if that.

Maiden33
12-09-2010, 04:58 PM
I've seen worse songs be moshed to... like Love You to Death at the Kamelot show 2 years ago...

Wow, that's just sad.

maidenpriest
12-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Wow, that's just sad.

Tell me about it...>.<

Onioner
12-09-2010, 05:04 PM

He told us we were incredible a couple times. I almost laughed when he said "ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!" in his epic voice after The Bard's Song.

Travis The Dragon
12-09-2010, 05:09 PM
That's nice that bands want to show respect to their audience, but I can see why you laughed at it.

idrinkwine732
12-09-2010, 07:57 PM
He told us we were incredible a couple times. I almost laughed when he said "ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!" in his epic voice after The Bard's Song.

Mah boy, where were you in the audience? The crowd actually sounded kinda loud from where I was. It wasn't like a Maiden sing along or anything, but there was an admirable amount of crowd participation.

Set is correct and all, and I too am disappointed in no Majesty. I also am really disappointed at the way Sacred Worlds turned out live. Hansi sounded pretty bad for the whole song, but by the end of Welcome to Dying it sounded great.

I've been waiting on that one for a while and I was saddened.

The show as a whole was totally awesome though :rocker:

xStructualDefect
12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
had to miss the show tonight. not really bummed out about it though. take out the new songs and Lost in the Twilight Hall, add And Then There Was Silence and Another Stranger Me, and that's the exact setlist i got back in 2006. not much of a difference.

Onioner
12-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Mah boy, where were you in the audience? The crowd actually sounded kinda loud from where I was. It wasn't like a Maiden sing along or anything, but there was an admirable amount of crowd participation.

Set is correct and all, and I too am disappointed in no Majesty. I also am really disappointed at the way Sacred Worlds turned out live. Hansi sounded pretty bad for the whole song, but by the end of Welcome to Dying it sounded great.

I've been waiting on that one for a while and I was saddened.

The show as a whole was totally awesome though :rocker:

I was like center right. Think the bottom right edge of the pit that was happening throughout the show. I heard a general sound during The Bard's Song, but with the exception of a few people including myself, I heard little from my area.

Personally, I love Hansi's rougher lower register far more than that upper borderline falsetto he's been using since A Night at the Opera. Hearing him use that voice on all of the songs was definitely a highlight. And I agree with you about Sacred Worlds, it just sounded like a barrage of noise. Did you notice during one of screams near the end when his voice seriously cracked and his eyes completely bugged out but he held the note anyway? :lol: