PDA

View Full Version : The Sword -- Pittsburgh, PA -- December 7th, 2010

BlackmoreOfBowling
12-08-2010, 01:03 AM
This is likely to be the last Metal show of the year for yours truly, but the year ended with quite a bang of a solid and consistent performance on an albeit cold, chilly and at times snowy Pittsburgh evening by all on the Warp Riders Mk. II Tour. Mount Carmel and Karma To Burn both found new fans in me, and seeing The Sword for the much-anticipated second time left me in a rush of :rocker: <- what that guy's doing.

Oh it's true. It's DAMN true.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdDGuKvUQdn0l1LPaUc3Sd0cHFtRYDY x02a9I0CX7g2mUK0Ypm

Mount Carmel - Columbus OH Bluesy Blues Rockers who sadly only got to play to a capacity of around 10 people strong inside Mr. Smalls Theater at that point, got things started promptly, kicking things off on with straightforward pace and solid performance. The frontman/guitarist even quietly engaged in dialogue with the crowd about tuning his guitar in between songs to a nice touch. No setlist available from my mind, unfortunately, but they were good consistent openers.

After their performance, I noticed the persistent benefit that of Traditional Heavy Metal/Hard Rock shows - basic, straightforward presentation. The entire concert was a fairly no-frills excursion (The Sword's bombastic and artistic set design consisting of all their amps, drum kit and musicians respectfully), but this contributed to nice and quick band set-ups and highly potent performances by all the bands. Karma To Burn were no exception. The more experienced Morgantown WV Stoner Jamming Euphoria, spearheaded by their very tall frontman who towered among the crowd of Stoners and Metalheads and Guitar Hero nerds alike, immediately hooked me. A unique approach featured a 45-minute, 80% instrumental set, with a couple vocal numbers, but the rest were Stoner Jam bliss. Their set is as follows:

Nineteen
Thirty-Six
"Dean" (as written on setlist - maybe "Waiting On The Western World"?)
Fourty-Seven
Thirty-Four
"Cynic" ("Never Say Die"?)
Thirty-Two
Twenty-Eight
Twenty

The Sword, who has found a suitable drumming replacement in Kevin Fender, brought the riffs, the energy and then some...to the tune of even more riffs and energy! It's a Metal Christmas Miracle to see that The Sword's initial drummer departure hasn't caused any harm to this notion. Naturally, the set was heavy on the new album, but a great deal of the highlights of the first 2 albums were present. After a fierce 15 song performance, The Sword sealed the deal with a 2-song encore, solidifying a full 90 minutes of what I must bid some of the finest modern-day Traditional Heavy Metal. Setlist as follows:

Acheron/Unearthing The Orb
Tres Brujas
Barael's Blade
Arrows In The Dark
How Heavy This Axe
The Chronomancer I: Hubris
Fire Lances Of The Ancient Hyperzephyrians :rocker:
Lawless Darkness
March Of The Lor
The Warp Riders
Night City
Maiden, Mother & Crone
Freya
Iron Swan
(The Night Sky Cried) Tears Of Fire
---
Astraea's Dream
Winter's Wolves

mankvill
12-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Great fucking review, man. And thanks for the sets! I am SO ready for this show.

MPF
12-08-2010, 01:26 AM
That's a fucking badass set. I couldn't be disappointed in that. But then again they aren't coming here, so I'll just hope a bootleg popps up.

Northern_Shaman
12-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Tres Brujas
How Heavy This Axe
Fire Lances Of The Ancient Hyperzephyrians
Night City
(The Night Sky Cried) Tears Of Fire
Astraea's Dream
Winter's Wolves

These would be my highlights if this tour was coming anywhere near me. The only song I feel missing is Chronomancer II.

Also, I take it they played 'Lawless Lands' rather than a Watain cover? :lol:

300%_Density
12-08-2010, 02:27 AM
No Frost Giant's Daughter? :( Only thing it would be missing for me. Great review and great set. Pissed I'm not gonna get to see them in KC. Will be a great show.

mastodon421
12-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Holy shit, that set fucking slays. Really cool to see so much of Warp Riders in the set, that's their best album. I had to miss this show when it came to Boston on Sunday due to a family gathering. Hopefully I will catch them next time around.

Sepultura69
12-08-2010, 06:17 AM
You just had to use the "Kurt Angle" reference.... didn't you :(

jd091
12-08-2010, 09:56 AM
MARCH OF THE LOR!?!:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Thank you sooooooo much for posting this. I'm seeing them tonight; can't fucking wait. Mount Caramel sounds sweet, like they'd set the right mood for the sword. Now I just need to hear The Horned Goddess or Lament of the Aurochs, and my life will be complete :drool:

daimonos
12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I really wish I could have made it to this show. I'm only familliar with the new album but I'm sure everything else is just as awesome or even better. Oh well, I'm sure they'll be back sometime.

jd091
12-08-2010, 01:37 PM
I really wish I could have made it to this show. I'm only familliar with the new album but I'm sure everything else is just as awesome or even better. Oh well, I'm sure they'll be back sometime.

Dude, Age of Winters and Gods of the Earth are two of my favorite albums of all time. Warp riders isn't half as good as either one of them. Seriously; if you like Warp Riders their older stuff will be orgasmic to you. At least it is to me:drool:

MPF
12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
For those interested the show is up on Dimeadozen.

jd091
12-08-2010, 02:23 PM
For those interested the show is up on Dimeadozen.

What is that and how do I get it

MPF
12-08-2010, 02:54 PM
What is that and how do I get it

http://www.dimeadozen.org/index.php (http://www.dimeadozen.org/index.php)

It's a free, legal, live, bootleg site.

You have to sign up to use it, but it is free. Lots of quality metal shows are posted all the time. There is a shitstorm of Pantera shows up today for obvious reasons.

Travis The Dragon
12-08-2010, 04:30 PM
When you try and register at dime, it might tell you that the site is full. Keep trying over and over and over again because they purge inactive accounts all the time.

MPF
12-08-2010, 04:50 PM
That is true.

daimonos
12-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Dude, Age of Winters and Gods of the Earth are two of my favorite albums of all time. Warp riders isn't half as good as either one of them. Seriously; if you like Warp Riders their older stuff will be orgasmic to you. At least it is to me:drool:

Well that's good then, because I love Warp Riders. I'm guessing the earlier stuff is heavier? I would probably really be into that.

jd091
12-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Well that's good then, because I love Warp Riders. I'm guessing the earlier stuff is heavier? I would probably really be into that.

Oh yeah. Very heavy. And his voice is more distorted, not by yelling, but just bad recording quality. Which I like. Seriously, did you not play Guitar Hero 2 back in the day? Freya was on that, and got a lot of people into the Sword. Heavy song, heavy album.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/index.php (http://www.dimeadozen.org/index.php)

It's a free, legal, live, bootleg site.

You have to sign up to use it, but it is free. Lots of quality metal shows are posted all the time. There is a shitstorm of Pantera shows up today for obvious reasons.

Thanks a lot! I know a site that is for jam bootlegs of Phish, but no metal. You're a savior.

MPF
12-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks a lot! I know a site that is for jam bootlegs of Phish, but no metal. You're a savior.

Not a problem man. I'm glad you dig it.

Natrlhi
12-09-2010, 10:41 AM
The only song I feel missing is Chronomancer II.

Now I just need to hear The Horned Goddess...and my life will be complete :drool:We got them both in Cleveland last night. :rocker:

Set list and gig review is pending (stay tuned :radar:).

jd091
12-09-2010, 02:16 PM
We got them both in Cleveland last night. :rocker:

Awesome! I was at that concert! Can't wait to see the review! :rocker:

Northern_Shaman
12-09-2010, 08:22 PM
We got them both in Cleveland last night. :rocker:

Niiice!!! Get on that review broseph!

digitallive
02-06-2011, 01:37 AM
i'm the guy who taped and uploaded the set to DIME. i did video the next night in cleveland. from what i remember we barely made it in time cause of the snow. KTB are good friends of mine, i also produced the "Live 2009 Reunion Tour" DVD they have out.

a little clarification on the setlist for KTB, the vocal songs are brand new, NOT waiting on the western world & never say die, which are the vocal songs they performed last tour. "Dean" is actually "Jimmy Dean" (as in, the breakfast sausage). rediculously badass. easily my favorite KTB song w/ vocals yet.

setlist for the whole tour was the same:

Nineteen
Thirty-Six
Jimmy Dean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfP9BMAkYGk
Fourty-Seven http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rpiz9P-kD8
Thirty-Four
Cynic
Thirty-Two
Twenty-Eight
Twenty

47 is also new. from what i'm told "jimmy dean" and "cynic" were slightly re-worked in the studio and have a differant arrangement then what was played.

the "tall guy"/singer you're referring to is Daniel Davies, son of Ray Davies of The Kinks. He also plays w/ Rich (KTB's bassist) in another band called Year Long Disaster.

I was a little cold to the idea of Karma with a singer at first, cause all their instrumental shit is so great. But the new songs definatly converted me.