PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Festivals-birth of a new era? :(

jaysadler2
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I have been a regular festival attendee for both sonisphere/reading/download (in the UK)

Is it me or are these festivals getting worse? Just looked at sonisphere and biffy clyro have been announced headliners along with slipknot, as well as this the download announcement of linkin park/soad.

This sucks for me so far...i really like slipknot and thats about it. Where is the old school act for both festivals?

Old skool @ soni:
2010 - maiden, 2009 - metallica,

Old skool @ DL:
2010 - ac/dc + areosmith, 2009 - Def Leperd, 2008 - Kiss, 2007 - Maiden, 2006 - Metallica + guns n roses

It has completely gone shit...i know im probably paniking, but festival prices are way too high, and I want some quality for my money. I respect the announced bands but i wish for some old school metal/80's rock acts to be confirmed.

I know they're all getting old and it is probably time to allow new acts headline. Is this a result of the late 90's/early 00's? Where metal was dead and nu - metal was born? I'll be honest i did grow up in this era, but i cant stand this shit any more...I just hope the next announcement does not let me down, otherwise im possibly not going to any festivals this year.

What is it like in the U.S? Do you guys get alot of older bands headline major festivals?

Does any like seeing these line ups of the nu-metal/recent acts headlining (by this i mean hard rock/supposedly metal bands that dont play solos')?

Please share!

(n.b - i know i posted this in the downbload festival discussion thread in misinformation... but thought it may get a bit more response here)

treghet
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I can't really comment on most of this since I don't pay attention to the festival lineups (since I won't be attending anyway), but I can say something about this:

What is it like in the U.S? Do you guys get alot of older bands headline major festivals?

We don't really have any major festivals. :( Unless you count Bamboozle and stuff like that, which have tons of terrible bands. We do have a handful of smaller extreme metal festivals around the country though.

ravenheart
12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Easy solution. Go somewhere else. Most of the European festivals have better line-ups than the UK ones every year, let alone this year. Go to one of those. It won't even cost much different to the UK ones either.

Also, Download has been getting BETTER over the last couple of years. Still not enough to make me actually attend, but better. It sucked balls for the first three years it ran. Didn't Offspring headline one year? Yeah...

SOAD is big deal, so whether you like them or not, that's a good act to get. Linkin Park isn't. There's still PLENTY of time. As for a classic act, there are rumours abound of Van Halen having already signed up to play.

But whatever. Forget them and go to a decent festival instead.

TonyD
12-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Don't they usually announce more artists closer to the date?

jaysadler2
12-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah i think european festival is the answer Raven.

Which do you reccommend?

Halen would be gd but highly unlikely

mankvill
12-07-2010, 03:04 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EpftYeMoves/TC0QSrRk1fI/AAAAAAAAFVY/WrUxTacCwDE/s1600/Obscene+Extreme+2010+oef2010_freakarmy.jpg

You get no sympathy from me.

Sepultura69
12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EpftYeMoves/TC0QSrRk1fI/AAAAAAAAFVY/WrUxTacCwDE/s1600/Obscene+Extreme+2010+oef2010_freakarmy.jpg

HOLY SHIT :eek:

DRI, MISERY INDEX, CATTLE DECAPITATION, MASTER!!

I wish America got tours like these :( instead of bullshit mayhem fests and rockstar uproars and shit like that

Dextrimental
12-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Same as Ravenheart.. Go to a European festival.. Graspop, Hellfest, they all have solid enough line ups every year, and are organised much better.. I may attend Download one day this year, just to see System..

ravenheart
12-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Yeah i think european festival is the answer Raven.

Which do you reccommend?

Halen would be gd but highly unlikely

Depends what you're after. I can never recommend Sweden Rock Festival highly enough.

Keep an eye here: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/festival-listings-2011/ ;)

Constant updates posted here: http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com. If you're an RSS man, subscribe to the feed ;)

jaysadler2
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Cheers people, just seen high voltage have confirmed judas priest n dream theater as headliners which im happy with at the mo.

European fest i will definitley try, always wanted to see manowar!

The only thing which is a pain is work, im a teacher so i can only go to festivals end of july/august

ravenheart
12-09-2010, 01:22 PM
The only thing which is a pain is work, im a teacher so i can only go to festivals end of july/august

I used to have that same problem. Then I saw sense ;)

Let's see, July/August leaves you with:

Wacken, Masters of Rock, Bloodstock, Sonisphere (in several countries), Bang Your Head!!!, Party.San, RockHarz, Summer Breeze, Metalcamp, With Full Force, Getaway Rock, Rockweekend, Vagos Open-Air... I think you can find something to go too ;)