PDA

View Full Version : Map of Metal

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
12-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Kind of a pain to navigate but cool, none the less.

http://mapofmetal.com/#/home

rjturtle9
12-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Saw this two days ago. Pretty awesome site.

elturtleboy
12-05-2010, 09:28 PM
NICE! anal cunt is one of the songs in the grind section

zgodt
12-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Nice!

ChildrenofSodom
12-06-2010, 06:40 AM
This is pretty awesome.

Grave Digger is in the Speed Metal section! :rocker:
The Ocean in Avant-Garde!

Nick_to_the_face
12-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Never really thought of Shadows Fall as metalcore..

also makes it sounds as if death metal came from black metal..

ChildrenofSodom
12-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Never really thought of Shadows Fall as metalcore..

also makes it sounds as if death metal came from black metal..

They're in metalcore and New Wave of American Heavy Metal.

Nick_to_the_face
12-06-2010, 07:42 AM
They're in metalcore and New Wave of American Heavy Metal.

Ah ok, either way this is awesome, i've been looking for something like this for a while. Will help with my friends i'm trying to convert :D

Div
12-06-2010, 07:54 AM
:metal:

cool concept, love the artwork.

darkguardian50
12-06-2010, 10:23 AM
This seriously rocks. :rocker:

Nice to be able to hear some styles I have never heard before. Listening to some Celtic Metal now.

BloodoftheKings
12-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Thats pretty cool but how did glam metal inspire goth rock?

Nick_to_the_face
12-06-2010, 11:22 AM

I don't know :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
12-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Ah ok, either way this is awesome, i've been looking for something like this for a while. Will help with my friends i'm trying to convert :D

The first place I heard of NWOAHM was Headbanger's Journey, and that is cited as a source by the website creator.

Derelict
12-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Obviously not perfect, but really fucking cool

mankvill
12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
The first place I heard of NWOAHM was Headbanger's Journey, and that is cited as a source by the website creator.

Dumbest genre of all time. OF ALL TIME!

larvtard
12-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Dumbest genre of all time. OF ALL TIME!

I concur. It's not even a genre, though. It's a movement, a specific "sound" perhaps.

....Actually, nah, I don't even know what is. American metal bands from the new decade? Most of the ones on the Mapofmetal site are modern-day metalcore. Lamb of God is groove metal. I've heard that Mastodon is considered NWOAHM. They're prog-sludge.

makethemsuffer12
12-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I concur. It's not even a genre, though. It's a movement, a specific "sound" perhaps.

....Actually, nah, I don't even know what is. American metal bands from the new decade? Most of the ones on the Mapofmetal site are modern-day metalcore. Lamb of God is groove metal. I've heard that Mastodon is considered NWOAHM. They're prog-sludge.

Yeah it's a movement more than anything. Even though the majority of the bands are metalcore (KSE, LOG, ATR, Unearth, SF, Chimaira, AILD), others (such as Mastodon) that came out around the same time frame were also grouped in. I think the name was just given to point out this new era of heavy music that coincided with the new decade.

zgodt
12-06-2010, 05:19 PM

Eyeliner.

Nick_to_the_face
12-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Yeah it's a movement more than anything. Even though the majority of the bands are metalcore (KSE, LOG, ATR, Unearth, SF, Chimaira, AILD), others (such as Mastodon) that came out around the same time frame were also grouped in. I think the name was just given to point out this new era of heavy music that coincided with the new decade.

I don't care what anyone says, LOG is not metalcore, and I never thought of Unearth as metalcore either

Nick_to_the_face
12-07-2010, 07:48 AM

Same here, and I think of it as a movement, cause really Chimiara and KSE have NOTHING in common imo

treghet
12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't care what anyone says, LOG is not metalcore, and I never thought of Unearth as metalcore either

Lamb of God is groove metal, but their earlier material has a lot more metalcore influence. As for Unearth, I would definitely categorize them in metalcore, although not the bad type of metalcore.

SomewhereInTime72
12-07-2010, 11:01 AM
This is pretty damn awesome.

makethemsuffer12
12-07-2010, 11:41 AM

LOG is debatable, but Unearth is without a doubt metalcore. Metal riffs + hardcore influenced breakdowns = metalcore. Not every kind of metalcore is "dress like scene kids, screamed verses/melodic choruses, gay synths" metalcore.

Nick_to_the_face
12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Lamb of God is groove metal, but their earlier material has a lot more metalcore influence. As for Unearth, I would definitely categorize them in metalcore, although not the bad type of metalcore.

LOG is debatable, but Unearth is without a doubt metalcore. Metal riffs + hardcore influenced breakdowns = metalcore. Not every kind of metalcore is "dress like scene kids, screamed verses/melodic choruses, gay synths" metalcore.

Old LOG i can see, like their BTP shit..and I guess Unearth is, i just always think of the bad metalcore whenever i think of Metalcore..