PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 holiday albums.

zgodt
12-02-2010, 05:00 AM
1. A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi
2. Ella Wishes You a Swinging Crhistmas - Ella Fitzgerald
3. Dig That Crazy Christmas - The Brian Setzer Orchestra
4. Have a Fun Christmas - The Time Life Platinum Christmas Collection - Various Artists
5. A Midwinter Night's Dream - Loreena McKennitt

IrritatedTrout
12-02-2010, 05:08 AM
1. Jethro Tull -The Christmas Album
2. Everything else.

ravenheart
12-02-2010, 07:14 AM
There are no good Christmas albums.

evildeadjedi
12-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Christmas with The Vandals "Oi To The World"

Maiden33
12-02-2010, 09:52 AM
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd358/salernitana/Christmas_front.jpg

Natrlhi
12-02-2010, 10:14 AM
^ I was wondering how long that was gonna take. ;)

zgodt
12-02-2010, 10:14 AM
There are no good Christmas albums.
Because a good Christmas album is inconceivable, or because no one has managed to get it right?

DethMaiden
12-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Christmas Eve and Other Stories is the only one I spin with regularity. The Lost Christmas Eve is also good, but doesn't grab me by the heart-strings quite like their first one.

I also like old Sinatra/Elvis/Martin/Crosby/Como standards, as well as sappy country Christmas songs. And Christmas hymns sung by choirs full of old white ladies.

EDIT: That last line reads like irony, but I assure you it isn't. I love all that shit.

Maiden33
12-02-2010, 10:22 AM
^ I was wondering how long that was gonna take. ;)

For the record, me liking TSO has NOTHING to do with the traditional reasons. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that it is basically the conceptual continuation of my second favorite band of all-time. Particularly THAT album. A n00b would've picked the debut.

powerslave_85
12-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Christmas Eve and Other Stories is the only one I spin with regularity. Yep. Every once in a while I'll listen to the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack too, but that's about it.

I dunno, for me it's just the fact that I get tired of hearing different versions of the same standards over and over again. I usually make a playlist of ones that I do like, though. Some examples:
Built To Spill- "Linus and Lucy" (The Ergs! do a good cover, too)
Bruce Springsteen- "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"
The Hot Toddies- "Santa Baby"
Bad Religion- "Noel/Joy To the World (Live)"
The Kinks- "Father Christmas"
FEAR- "Fuck Christmas" (just for the lulz)

For the record, my favorite Christmas carol is "Hark The Herald Angels Sing."

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
The Elvis Christmas album.

I saw Brian Setzer live this time last year performing all his Xmas tunes plus some Stray Cats hits. It was pretty cool.

Natrlhi
12-02-2010, 12:05 PM
For the record, me liking TSO has NOTHING to do with the traditional reasons. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that it is basically the conceptual continuation of my second favorite band of all-time. Particularly THAT album. A n00b would've picked the debut.
That's exactly the reason I expected it to take you less than 2.7 seconds to post something by TSO. ;)

Oh, and way to call Brad a N00b. You get forty-seven gold stars for that one, bub. :fist:

ChildrenofSodom
12-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Anything that isn't Christmas Shoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq10bz3PxyY

powerslave_85
12-02-2010, 02:00 PM
I think we can all agree that the worst Christmas song of all time is "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney.

DethMaiden
12-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I think we can all agree that the worst Christmas song of all time is "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney.

I love that one. :eyes:

zgodt
12-02-2010, 02:06 PM

So much so that I'm pissed at you for even mentioning it and momentarily putting its insipid melody into my brain. :hmm:

My favorite carols are the Little Drummer Boy and the "Do you hear what I hear" one. And God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Maybe I like carols more than I thought I did... :eyes:

powerslave_85
12-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I want to eat a .45 every time I hear it over the loudspeakers at a department store. That, and, to a lesser extent, "Jingle Bell Rock."

I don't know why, but I vastly prefer the religious carols to the secular ones. Exception: the Muppet version of "The 12 Days of Christmas." That's fucking awesome.

TonyD
12-02-2010, 02:43 PM

I had that stuck in my head the other day, don't even remember how it goes any more.

SirLardsAlot
12-02-2010, 03:00 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7a/Halford_III.jpg

I wish this album was good.

ADD
12-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Maiden's The X Factor always reminds me of the holidays.

ravenheart
12-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Because a good Christmas album is inconceivable, or because no one has managed to get it right?

Put it this way, I've never heard a good Christmas song, by anyone. Even by artists I love. Let alone a good Christmas album. On that basis, I'd say it's inconceivable. There have been enough years of music making for someone, somewhere to have written one decent Christmas tune. Assuming Christmas even needs songs.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
12-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I love that one. :eyes:

I like it as well.

Indestructible
12-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Red Water(Christmas Mourning) By Type O Negative
Christmas by King Diamond
No Presents for Christmas - King diamond

zgodt
12-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Put it this way, I've never heard a good Christmas song, by anyone. Even by artists I love. Let alone a good Christmas album. On that basis, I'd say it's inconceivable. There have been enough years of music making for someone, somewhere to have written one decent Christmas tune. Assuming Christmas even needs songs.

What about "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues?

JRA
12-02-2010, 06:31 PM
1. Immortal- Sons of Northern Darkness
2. Immortal- At The Heart of Winter
3. Immortal- Pure Holocaust
4. Immortal- All Shall Fall
5. Immortal- Battles In The North

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestselling-music-2006/1580-1.jpg

DethMaiden
12-02-2010, 08:20 PM
What about "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues?

This is the best Christmas song ever, for those wondering.

Wizzbang11
12-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Red Water(Christmas Mourning) By Type O Negative
Christmas by King Diamond
No Presents for Christmas - King diamond

That song is fucking worthless.

Christmas music is terrible. The first time I heard No Presents for Christmas it was funny, but now I just wish it didnt have those stupid jingles in it.

Indestructible
12-02-2010, 08:31 PM
That song is fucking worthless.

No King diamond song is worthless.

Wizzbang11
12-02-2010, 08:34 PM
No King diamond song is worthless.

There are many, many worthless King Diamond songs.

Indestructible
12-02-2010, 08:36 PM
There are many, many worthless King Diamond songs.

Not really. He's only had one bad album through out his entire career in music.

Wizzbang11
12-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Brats- Ehhhh.
Black Rose-Sucks.
MF post DBtO- Ehh.
KD post Conspiracy- Ehh.
KD post Graveyard- Terrible.
GMYSP- Unlistenable.

So I would not say, at all, that his career in music is free of bad.

zgodt
12-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Yep. He just kept making it over and over.

;)

DethMaiden
12-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Brats- Ehhhh.
Black Rose-Sucks.
MF post DBtO- Ehh.
KD post Conspiracy- Ehh.
GMYSP- Unlistenable.

The Puppet Master is a really great album, but I'd say most of the rest of that is accurate.

Indestructible
12-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Brats- Ehhhh.
Black Rose-Sucks.
MF post DBtO- Ehh.
KD post Conspiracy- Ehh.
GMYSP- Unlistenable.

Ive never heard Brats or Black Rose. Yes Mercyful Fates best albums are Melissa, Don't Break The Oath and In The Shadows but the album after that are fine.
Pretty much all solo King diamond is great. The spiders Lullaby is an ok album far from his best. I also don't care much for Abigal II

The Puppet Master is a really great album, but I'd say most of the rest of that is accurate.

The Puppet Master is my favorite King Diamond album.

Wizzbang11
12-02-2010, 08:54 PM
The spiders Lullaby is an ok album far from his best. I also don't care much for Abigal II

Spider's Lullabye is a hundred times better than the shit he's been rehashing for the last 15 years. I'll give you Puppet Master has some decent songs, but the albums only good if you are comfortable hearing Livia Zita sing all the classic King parts over triggered drums.
And I am not comfortable with that.

Indestructible
12-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Spider's Lullabye is a hundred times better than the shit he's been rehashing for the last 15 years. I'll give you Puppet Master has some decent songs, but the albums only good if you are comfortable hearing Livia Zita sing all the classic King parts over triggered drums.
And I am not comfortable with that.
To the Mourge = :rocker::drool:

What do you think of The Graveyard and Voodoo?

King Diamond album ranking
1. The Puppet Master
2. The Graveyard
3. Voodoo
4. Them
5. Abigail
6. House of God
7. Conspiracy
8. The Eye
9. Fatal Portrait
10. Give Me Your Soul...Please
11. The Spider's Lullabye
12. Abigail II: The Revenge

Indestructible
12-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Here's a holiday song for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY-U1TUTlFo

Div
12-03-2010, 03:26 PM
noone's mentioned this and you call yourselves metalheads?

http://www.metallibrary.ru/bands/discographies/images/onkel_tom_angelripper/pictures/00_ich_glaub_nicht_an_den_weihnachtsmann.jpg

Travis The Dragon
12-03-2010, 07:03 PM
One of the worst EVER!:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uaSIp_1tsPY/SzpH7XYL0XI/AAAAAAAALkg/A6ZQiT6Yr2w/s1600/twisted-christmas.jpg
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

darkguardian50
12-03-2010, 11:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEVg0n-PI-4

/thread