PDA

View Full Version : 53rd Grammys- Metal

DisposableJustice
12-01-2010, 09:42 PM
So the noms for the Grammys just got posted, so I checked out the hard rock/metal section (the only section that matters am I rite?) Back to top
17. Best Hard Rock Performance
For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.
A Looking In View
Alice In Chains
[Virgin Records]
Let Me Hear You Scream
Ozzy Osbourne
Track from: Scream
[Epic]
Black Rain
Soundgarden
Track from: Telephantasm
[A&M/UMe]
Between The Lines
Stone Temple Pilots
Track from: Stone Temple Pilots
[Atlantic]
New Fang
Them Crooked Vultures
Track from: Them Crooked Vultures
[DGC/Interscope]

18. Best Metal Performance
For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.
El Dorado
Iron Maiden
Track from: The Final Frontier
[UMe]
Let The Guilt Go
Korn
Track from: Korn III: Remember Who You Are
[Roadrunner Records]
In Your Words
Lamb Of God
Track from: Wrath
[Epic]
Sudden Death
Megadeth
[Roadrunner Records]
World Painted Blood
Slayer
Track from: World Painted Blood
[Columbia Records/American Records]

A- Has Maiden ever been nommed for a Grammy ever? I'm sure they have, just a testament to how big Final Frontier has been

B-Sudden Death, a Guitar Hero exclusive? That seems unreal

xStructualDefect
12-01-2010, 09:44 PM
inb4 ass kissing of Maiden and the hate on Korn.

powerslave_85
12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, Maiden have been nominated a couple of times. For Wicker Man and...a live version of Fear of the Dark, I think?

darkguardian50
12-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Sudden Death (which is probably the best song Megadeth has done in awhile), Maiden, Slayer, and Soundgarden? At least the noms don't totally suck this year. Though I question if you can nominate a track that was actualy written and recorded a decade ago (Black Rain).

300%_Density
12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I'd say this is a pretty solid list of nominees. I am not looking forward to the Korn bashing and the complaining if Maiden doesn't win. Can't really complain regardless who wins. I am beyond amazed at the length that LOG have got out of Wrath. It feels like they've been touring and having stuff come out for like the last 5 years.

mankvill
12-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Sudden Death (which is probably the best song Megadeth has done in awhile), Maiden, Slayer, and Soundgarden? At least the noms don't totally suck this year. Though I question if you can nominate a track that was actualy written and recorded a decade ago (Black Rain).

Judas Priest won last year for a live version of Dissident Aggressor!

Magson13
12-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Why nominate Korn for metal...? They're hard rock. They can go chill with Jethro Tull in the Grammy fail section.

kommie
12-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Why nominate Korn for metal...? They're hard rock. They can go chill with Jethro Tull in the Grammy fail section.

Metallica are put in hard rock when they're nominated and they got 'metal' in their name.

Magson13
12-02-2010, 01:15 AM
Because Metallica isn't metal anymore.

ravenheart
12-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Because Metallica isn't metal anymore.

:tp:

IrritatedTrout
12-02-2010, 05:00 AM
I'm surprised how good these two categories are. There's only one huge stinker (Korn :tp:), although the individual songs aren't the best from their albums but I guess they were the singles so whatever.

bt11763
12-02-2010, 06:46 AM
that soundgarden song fucking rules

darkguardian50
12-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Yeah, I can't believe that didn't make Badmotorfinger, its terrific. I'm hoping that will win for Hard Rock.

ravenheart
12-02-2010, 07:13 AM
I'm surprised how good these two categories are.

I think they're ridiculously predictable. They've chosen probably the only metal bands with albums out since the last Grammy's that they've heard of.

zgodt
12-02-2010, 08:20 AM
I think they're ridiculously predictable. They've chosen probably the only metal bands with albums out since the last Grammy's that they've heard of.

Seriously. You'd think that no new hard rock or heavy metal bands had formed in the last 20 years.

TonyD
12-02-2010, 08:29 AM
This is like caring about prom king and queen, just by bothering to pay attention you lose.

Maiden33
12-02-2010, 09:50 AM
inb4 ass kissing of Maiden and the hate on Korn.

Problem?

ChildrenofSodom
12-02-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't really need the Academy to tell me which metal artist I should listen to.

BloodoftheKings
12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Hard Rock: Soundgarden
Metal: Slayer

xStructualDefect
12-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Problem?

not really, just calling it out :lol:

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 11:39 AM
GO MAIDEN! Actually, the only reason I want them to win this is because it might get people who haven't heard their music to check them out. That's the same reason I wish there was a Maiden Rock Band or Guitar Hero.

makethemsuffer12
12-02-2010, 11:45 AM
GO MAIDEN! Actually, the only reason I want them to win this is because it might get people who haven't heard their music to check them out. That's the same reason I wish there was a Maiden Rock Band or Guitar Hero.

You do realize that them winning a Grammy will do nothing to attract new fans, right? They don't even air the metal category on T.V.

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 11:55 AM
That's fucked! Oh well.

makethemsuffer12
12-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Besides, it's Maiden. It's not like they need any more exposure.

Natrlhi
12-02-2010, 12:16 PM

This.

orlandodavis
12-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Didn't Metallica win a Grammy for St. Anger?

makethemsuffer12
12-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Didn't Metallica win a Grammy for St. Anger?

Yup. The Grammy's are a popularity contest.

elturtleboy
12-02-2010, 01:27 PM
my vote
hard rock:Ozzy
metal:Slayer

JRA
12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
A- Has Maiden ever been nommed for a Grammy ever? I'm sure they have, just a testament to how big Final Frontier has been

Yes. The live version of Fear Of the Dark from 1993. Ozzy won that year.

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Maybe if they had more exposure and were more popular, they'd actually do a FULL 30-40 city USA tour.

DethMaiden
12-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Maybe if they had more exposure and were more popular, they'd actually do a FULL 30-40 city USA tour.

Dude, they can't get any more popular. Everyone knows who Iron Maiden is. If you like metal, you probably like them. If you don't like metal, you probably don't. They don't do 30-40 date U.S. tours because a) they're not young and they expend a lot of energy on stage and their bodies can't take that anymore, b) they're rich, so they don't have to in order to get by, and c) they don't particularly love America. Of course they'd play forty dates here if they were 25 and they had to, but they're just about as big here as anywhere in the world in terms of sheer number of fans. Billboard charts, exposure, none of that has anything to do with their touring in the States.

How fucking hard is that to understand? I feel like you say shit like that every week.

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
If they can't get anymore popular, then how come their last album didn't sell nearly as good as Metallica or AC/DC? Also, look at how old the band members of those 2 bands are and how much energy they put into their shows and the lenght of their tours. Sure, they don't tour every year like Maiden, but when they do tour, they make sure to do a FULL USA tour. Sometimes 2 or 3 legs, all huge in size.

TonyD
12-02-2010, 04:31 PM

It's not because they can't sell tickets, it's because Bruce doesn't like driving 8-16 hours from show to show, and flying isn't reasonable for a full US tour.

TonyD
12-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Dude, they can't get any more popular. Everyone knows who Iron Maiden is. If you like metal, you probably like them. If you don't like metal, you probably don't. They don't do 30-40 date U.S. tours because a) they're not young and they expend a lot of energy on stage and their bodies can't take that anymore, b) they're rich, so they don't have to in order to get by, and c) they don't particularly love America. Of course they'd play forty dates here if they were 25 and they had to, but they're just about as big here as anywhere in the world in terms of sheer number of fans. Billboard charts, exposure, none of that has anything to do with their touring in the States.

How fucking hard is that to understand? I feel like you say shit like that every week.

If they can't get anymore popular, then how come their last album didn't sell nearly as good as Metallica or AC/DC? Also, look at how old the band members of those 2 bands are and how much energy they put into their shows and the lenght of their tours. Sure, they don't tour every year like Maiden, but when they do tour, they make sure to do a FULL USA tour. Sometimes 2 or 3 legs, all huge in size.

:wallbang:

WOLVERINEKILLS
12-02-2010, 04:37 PM
I love Maiden. Hell- I've got Poweslave Eddie inked on my arm. But, I live in the midwest/south area and I hate to tell you guys.. Maiden wouldn't sell that many tickets here.

Regardless, the Grammy's are about the more well known elderstatesmen. Look for Maiden and the Vultures to win their categories.

darkguardian50
12-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Hard Rock: Soundgarden
Metal: Slayer

Soundgarden I think is a lock but I have to say I think Mustaine may take home a trophy this year. Just a feeling.

Maiden33
12-02-2010, 05:24 PM

This.

Also:
You can say whatever you want about bands that do "FULL 30-40 CITY US TOURS!", but they rarely ever sell out shows. For a lot of bands that do 30-40 city US tours of arenas, they move like 70% of the tickets. One thing Maiden have always been is economical and smart. WHY on earth at this stage of their career would they play 10-15 extra shows and have the overall attendance figures be worse? You can argue the "Well they'd play to more fans overall" point til your blue in the face, but it's still less economical. End of story.

Also:
I would MUCH rather have Maiden sell a few less units than Metallica and AC/DC but still maintain a decent sense of artistic integrity, and not have their songs flogged to death by TV/Movies/etc.

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 05:46 PM
How do they know how well shows would do unless they did a full tour? With the HUGE amount of popularity they've gained in the last 10 years and with how popular DethMaiden claims they are, I would think a full tour would do super great.

TonyD
12-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Go away.

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Go away.

Why don't you try to actually present legitimate arguments to my points instead of being a jerk.

makethemsuffer12
12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
How do they know how well shows would do unless they did a full tour? With the HUGE amount of popularity they've gained in the last 10 years and with how popular DethMaiden claims they are, I would think a full tour would do super great.

Someone's just a little butthurt because Maiden doesn't play near him.

Guess what? THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT HOW POPULAR THEY ARE. THEY'RE FUCKING RICH.

Maiden33
12-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Why don't you try to actually present legitimate arguments to my points instead of being a jerk.

Would it really change what you have to say?

TonyD
12-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Would it really change what you have to say?

Exactly. 3 or 4 good arguments were posted by others and you pretty much ignore them. I understand you want to see Maiden as much as possible, but that doesn't mean they should play in every state on every tour.

Instead of bitching about how much they don't tour enough, why don't you make one lousy road trip whenever they come to the states? Or move to NY/LA? Please just don't come to SF.

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Damn Tony. What have I ever done to you to deserve such hatred?

JRA
12-02-2010, 06:29 PM
If they can't get anymore popular, then how come their last album didn't sell nearly as good as Metallica or AC/DC

Because those bands have merch up the ass at Walmart and Maiden don't.

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Ya, that's sad but true, but then again Maiden don't care about things like that. In fact, I bet they don't give a fuck about winning a Grammy either. That'd be sweet to see them actually boycott it if they did win or have Bruce give the ultimate rant.

zgodt
12-02-2010, 07:58 PM

Eh, I've seen Maiden shirts at Kohl's department store. And at JC Penney's.

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Eh, I've seen Maiden shirts at Kohl's department store. And at JC Penney's.

True, but if you look in Target's music section, how many Maiden CD's do you see on the shelf? I've only seen the last 2 and that was when they were released.

DethMaiden
12-02-2010, 08:49 PM
True, but if you look in Target's music section, how many Maiden CD's do you see on the shelf? I've only seen the last 2 and that was when they were released.

WHO FUCKING CARES?

Maiden33
12-02-2010, 09:00 PM
WHO FUCKING CARES?

:lol: :lol:

This.

Travis The Dragon
12-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I was just replying to what Zgodt said.

IrritatedTrout
12-03-2010, 06:35 AM

New York and New Jersey are both near each other and they sold them both out this summer. But that's a huge market. Pittsburgh and Cleveland are very close to each other and I believe they were the two worst attended gigs of the whole summer (around 8,000 and 9,000 respectively). I was at Pittsburgh, the show was great, the attendance was pretty bad. I believe this is an example of how Maiden (and many bands today, hell I just saw Ozzy in a less than half-full arena) really can't pull of an extremely extensive tour and still keep attendance figures up in a lot of markets.

Dextrimental
12-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Maiden should play more shows stateside, in my honest opinion. They've been touring Europe almost non-stop since 06, only year off was 08. I reckon one full sweep, possibly in 2012, would do quite well, then hold off for another say half a decade with some shows in the bigger places here and there.

DisposableJustice
12-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Maiden should play more shows stateside, in my honest opinion. They've been touring Europe almost non-stop since 06, only year off was 08. I reckon one full sweep, possibly in 2012, would do quite well, then hold off for another say half a decade with some shows in the bigger places here and there.

The rumor is that in 2012 they will celebrate Maiden England and recreate that DVD (I assume with songs from that era :rocker:) if that show comes within 100 miles of me I'm fucking there even if I need to travel

Derelict
12-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Anyone who bases popularity on album sales in 2010 is probably new to the internet.

Travis The Dragon
12-03-2010, 12:03 PM
New York and New Jersey are both near each other and they sold them both out this summer. But that's a huge market. Pittsburgh and Cleveland are very close to each other and I believe they were the two worst attended gigs of the whole summer (around 8,000 and 9,000 respectively). I was at Pittsburgh, the show was great, the attendance was pretty bad. I believe this is an example of how Maiden (and many bands today, hell I just saw Ozzy in a less than half-full arena) really can't pull of an extremely extensive tour and still keep attendance figures up in a lot of markets.

Damn! Well, now I will keep my fucking mouth shut about this! :D

Maiden33
12-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Damn! Well, now I will keep my fucking mouth shut about this! :D

...it was basically exactly what I said, just with some actual attendance figures added in.

AnthG
12-05-2010, 12:06 PM
The Grammys are meaningless, but I can't help but think the Deftones got snubbed. They released probably the best album of 2010.

rjturtle9
12-05-2010, 10:41 PM
The rumor is that in 2012 they will celebrate Maiden England and recreate that DVD (I assume with songs from that era :rocker:) if that show comes within 100 miles of me I'm fucking there even if I need to travel

I was thinking they would do an anniversary of The Number of the Beast, and play the album in it's entirety. That has been the trend lately with most bands, and they really love playing songs from that album anyways. Would love to hear Invaders.

But maiden England was supposed to be released already, so who knows. My money goes towards one of these happening.

Sepultura69
12-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I love Maiden. Hell- I've got Poweslave Eddie inked on my arm .

Dude post a picture of it when ever you have some free time! That sounds like a killer tattoo :rocker:

Sepultura69
12-05-2010, 11:13 PM
If they can't get anymore popular, then how come their last album didn't sell nearly as good as Metallica or AC/DC?

Yup......Instead of Wallmart, all the Iron Maiden Merchandise is at Hot Topic :cool:

To quote a song off the Black album

Sad But True...

I ain't talking shit or anything, I love Maiden like the next but I just felt like pointing that out :fist:

rjmartinez91
12-06-2010, 12:49 AM
When do results from this come in?
And that Korn nomination is shit. :finger2: There's better songs on the new album than that song.