PDA

View Full Version : Help getting into Blind Guardian

DisposableJustice
12-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Well browsing the forums, I have seen a lot of reviews for B.G. on their current tour and saw all the positive reviews; so after a little youtube searching I decided to get "Follow the Blind"....so far so good....now I need your help; where should I go next? Any recommendations on albums I should go after? Thanks

maidenpriest
12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Imaginations from the Other Side and Nightfall in Middle Earth are probably their best and most popular. If you like real bombastic, layered music then A Night at the Opera is really good too. Imo you can't go wrong with any album after Follow the Blind though. They are all good.

MPF
12-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Next 3 in order:

Imaginations From The OTher Side
Nightfall In Middle Earth
At The Edge Of Time

DethMaiden
12-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Next 3 in order:

Imaginations From The OTher Side
Nightfall In Middle Earth
At The Edge Of Time

I'd go reverse order but those are definitely the next three.

darkguardian50
12-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Follow the Blind is not all that great despite some essential songs. Nightfall is the place to start definitely. One of the greatest power metal albums ever in my opinion. Imaginations would be second, and I'd say either At the Edge of Time or Somewhere Far Beyond. The only ones to stay away from are Battalions (some of their best songs but horrible production) and Twist in the Myth. All other BG albums are awesome. "Live" or better yet the Imaginations DVD are a must have.

ravenheart
12-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Twist in the Myth

There is nothing wrong with this album.

Maiden33
12-02-2010, 09:56 AM
There is nothing wrong with this album.

Not really. It's just simply not as memorable and as good as most of the rest of their albums. There are NO essential songs that have become BG "classics". At the Edge of Time has at least 2 or 3 of these in the making.

And to answer the original question: Imaginations From the Other Side. Get it. Now.

xStructualDefect
12-02-2010, 11:09 AM
imho i think Imaginations is overrated. i'd say start with Nightfall, and give Tales From The Twilight World a listen. i think that's their most underrated album and prob my favorite next to Nightfall.

maidenpriest
12-02-2010, 03:45 PM
imho i think Imaginations is overrated. i'd say start with Nightfall, and give Tales From The Twilight World a listen. i think that's their most underrated album and prob my favorite next to Nightfall.

Somewhere Far Beyond to me is their most underrated album especially since they hardly play anything live off of it besides The Bard's Song. But some of my favorite BG songs are on their like the title track and The Quest for Tanelorn.

hailthecrisis
12-02-2010, 04:21 PM
The first couple songs I heard from them didn't impress me. But eventually I decided to give them another try and listened to Nightfall In Middle Earth. Consider me a fan.

Maiden33
12-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Somewhere Far Beyond to me is their most underrated album especially since they hardly play anything live off of it besides The Bard's Song. But some of my favorite BG songs are on their like the title track and The Quest for Tanelorn.

Somewhere Far Beyond is honestly probably the post-Follow the Blind album I listen to the least. No qualms with it, and the title track is one of my absolute favorite BG songs. Journey Through the Dark and Theatre of Pain are two of their more underrated songs as well. But I just don't hold it in as high a regard as Imaginations, Nightfall, Tales, ANATO, or the new one. Definitely a step ahead of Twist and the first two though.

darkguardian50
12-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I love SFB. I do think that and Tales are very close for me in terms of which I like more. Nightfall to me is by far and away the best thing they have ever done. Its an album that I really really hope they sometime do in its entirity on a tour. Imaginations is above SFB and Tales in my ranking but below Nightfall and I wouldn't say its even close. Not for me. Twist in the Myth is not bad, I don't think BG is capable of putting out a bad album, but it is dull. If they cut Fly from their "staple" list and replaced it with almost any other song I would be thrilled.

Rankings:

1.)Nightfall in Middle Earth
2.)Imaginations from the Other Side
3.) At the Edge of Time
4.)Tales from the Twilight World
4.)Somewhere Far Beyond
6.) A Night at the Opera
7.)A Twist in the Myth
8.)Follow the Blind
8.)Batallions of Fear

I think someone new getting into BG should pick up: Nightfall, Imaginations, and Imaginations DVD and go from there.

DisposableJustice
12-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the tips so far:rocker: