PDA

View Full Version : The Official Metal Setlists 2010 Album Voting Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Dextrimental
01-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Suppose its about time I submitted some form of review for this thing..

10) Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

I'm relatively late to this party, as I only acquired a taste for these guys this year, but once I did I knew how amazing these guys are. Had I more time with this, I'm sure it would reach top five, but it will rest in its safe number 10 for now!

9) Taking Dawn - Taking Dawn

First heard of these guys when they supported Kiss on their UK/Ireland tour, looked them up on youtube, heard a few songs off their debut EP, then they splattered all over Scuzz, and then I seen them live on said Kiss tour, and was blown away. Great music, made by musicians who have a genuine love and respect for rock 'n' rool, while still having their own flavour.

8) Ozzy Osbourne - Scream

Genuinely thought this would suck, until I heard the full album. Total return to form from the Prince of Darkness, in my opinion. It has grooves, it has ballads, and it has the vital ingredient, a new guitarist! Gus G threads familiar Ozzy ground, but definitely throws in his own flavours with the solos, which I think is what Ozzy truly needed. Thoroughly looking forward to seeing him live in June!

7) Iron Maiden - Final Frontier

If I am honest, this is fairly standard Maiden to my ears, which is what makes it good, but not incredible. Fifteen albums in, they still get your head banging and your emotions running, its just that, well, their age shows a little more on this release than on other in my honest opinion.

6) Atheist - Jupiter

Again, I only got into these guys this year, so I can't say much on this release in comparison to the rest of their material, since its the only one of theirs I have. I will say however, that its fucking awesome, and is as heavy and frenetic as any death metal fan could possibly want!

5) Warpath - Malevolent Reprisal

Irish death metal band. This one blew my fuking head off. Heavy, unrelenting, these guys know how to write good old fashioned brutal death metal, and they know how to do it well. These guys will go far, mark my words.

4) Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

I wanted to love this record, I genuinely did, and when I first heard it I did. However, upon repeated listens, it simply does not hold up, not only against thier previous releases, but against other releases this year. While still being a great release, hence its high ranking, its just not all that good. I still like it enough to give it the number 4 spot, as its still getting repeated lessons, but it will have dropped significantly by the Summer.

3) Black Spiders - Black Spiders

Not technically available until Fabruary, it was available on their tour with Airbourne, so screw you guys, Iam reviewing this and its getting a high rank so deal with it. Absolutely storming debut, merging Led Zeppelin, Corrosion of Conformity and Black Sabbath, these guys know how to rock, and they know how to rock HARD. These guys will be huge in the future, I guarantee it.

2) Deftones - Diamond Eyes

Can't say anything that hasn't already been said. Quality release, quality band. It is a mission of mine to see them at some point on this album cycle, I would say we'll get an irish date probably in the July/August region, depending on if they do Download or Sonisphere in the UK.

1) Stone Sour - Audio Secrecy

Biggest surprise for me was this record, thought it would be good, but didn't realise HOW good. Gung ho from start to finish, slow at the right parts, heavy at the right parts, both at the right parts. Just a perfect package in my opinion. Much like Deftones and Avenged Sevenfold, these guys are coming from a serious loss, and to have released something this strong is a lesson to us all. Beautiful record.

Theres my top ten, I'm sure most of you will go 'WHAT???? SCREW YOU *insert stupid internet rant about how non-metal I am*', but frankly, I don't care.

ravenheart
01-02-2011, 09:17 AM
3) Black Spiders - Black Spiders

These guys will be huge in the future, I guarantee it.

Absolutely true. And there is one reason alone for that. The clandestine clan including members from Kerrang, Metal Hammer, Bloodstock, Hard Rock Hell, Download, Classic Rock, Sonisphere and Kilimanjaro have decided Black Spiders are going to be one of the bands they're going to push. Along with Million$Reload and New Device.

The British metal public are as fickle as the British pop music public. So it will happen.

Dextrimental
01-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Absolutely true. And there is one reason alone for that. The clandestine clan including members from Kerrang, Metal Hammer, Bloodstock, Hard Rock Hell, Download, Classic Rock, Sonisphere and Kilimanjaro have decided Black Spiders are going to be one of the bands they're going to push. Along with Million$Reload and New Device.

The British metal public are as fickle as the British pop music public. So it will happen.

Oh absolutely, however I will say these guys actually deserve it. They are a great band, both live and on record. That debut is one of the best half hours I have heard on record in recent times!

ravenheart
01-02-2011, 09:31 AM
I remain unconvinced so far. I haven't heard the album, but I have both of their self-released EPs. They're average at best, and I found them very boring live... whoever it was I saw them supporting. I can't remember.

But they continue to get added as the support act on every Kilimanjaro-promoted classic rock/metal tour going and that irritates me, as well as getting on all the festivals bills. We're being forced to take notice, which I don't like. Give them a leg up because you think they deserve it by all means, but force-feeding the market is not the way to do it.

And to be honest, the ones who deserve it, especially with their new singer, are Voodoo Six. I'm hoping now they're signed to Classic Rock's own Powerage label they'll get the same treatment, just so they can find themselves on an even playing field with the industry darlings.

Would also recommend Lethargy (although not quite so impressed so far with the demos for their second album), and Cavalar.

Dextrimental
01-02-2011, 09:48 AM
I remain unconvinced so far. I haven't heard the album, but I have both of their self-released EPs. They're average at best, and I found them very boring live... whoever it was I saw them supporting. I can't remember.

But they continue to get added as the support act on every Kilimanjaro-promoted classic rock/metal tour going and that irritates me, as well as getting on all the festivals bills. We're being forced to take notice, which I don't like. Give them a leg up because you think they deserve it by all means, but force-feeding the market is not the way to do it.

And to be honest, the ones who deserve it, especially with their new singer, are Voodoo Six. I'm hoping now they're signed to Classic Rock's own Powerage label they'll get the same treatment, just so they can find themselves on an even playing field with the industry darlings.

Would also recommend Lethargy (although not quite so impressed so far with the demos for their second album), and Cavalar.

Well I've only had one opportunity to see them so far, but I am guessing I will see them again before too long. I seen them supporting Airbourne, they were a great addition to the bill in my opinion.

Im will check these guys out tonight when I get the chance to not have something to do, I am doing chores will being online!

larvtard
01-02-2011, 09:39 PM
1. Woe- Quietly, Undramatically
2. High on Fire- Snakes for the Divine
3. Early Graves- Goner
4. haarp- The Filth
5. Landmine Marathon- Sovereign Descnet
6. Melechesh- The Epigenesis
8. Black Breath- Heavy Breathing
9. The Crown- Doomsday King
10. Misery Index- Heirs to Theivery

reviews here: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=15586&page=2

Div
01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
i guess time's up, wish i had more time to check out some albums but heres what ive got so far.... i did hear over 10 albums but dont feel the others are worthy.

6.) blind guardian
5.) the sword
4.) slough feg
3.) iron maiden
2.) alcest
1.) agalloch

JRA
01-03-2011, 11:44 AM
1) High On Fire
2) Heathen
3) Overkill

AnthG
01-03-2011, 12:53 PM
So when can we expect the results?

mankvill
01-03-2011, 01:26 PM
So when can we expect the results?

I'm waiting on one (very prominent ;) ) member's list and then I will calculate it and GOOOO

Citatet
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Alright then.

My top ten for 2010

1. Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - Their best work since 7th son
2. Deftones - Diamond Eyes - I didnīt think this were any good but holy shit!
3. Watain - Lawless Darkness - Best scandinavian metal @ the moment
4. Red Sparowes - The Fear... -
5. Orphaned Land - The Neverendig....
6. Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
7. Bad Religion - The Dissent of Man
8. Immolation - Majesty & Decay
9. Disturbed - Asylum
10. Ghost - Opus Epynomos

Close to get in:
Khoma - The Final Storm
Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
Kvelertak - S/t
Gaslight Anthem - American Slang

And the worst of 2010
Darkthrone - Circle The Wagons
Linkin Park - A thousand Suns

AnthG
01-03-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm waiting on one (very prominent ;) ) member's list and then I will calculate it and GOOOO

No rush. Just curious is all.

larvtard
01-03-2011, 04:47 PM

did you seriously miss it? I just posted mine :tp:

mankvill
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
did you seriously miss it? I just posted mine :tp:

THAT'S IT ALL TEN OF YOURS ARE GOING TO THE NEW BRING ME THE HORIZON

larvtard
01-03-2011, 06:48 PM
THAT'S IT ALL TEN OF YOURS ARE GOING TO THE NEW BRING ME THE HORIZON

Well, that would give the new BMTH album 55 points, and judging by last year's list, that would put it in 10th place. How would that reflect on Metalsetlists? :lol:

But seriously, lolololololol.

The_jman
01-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Well, that would give the new BMTH album 55 points, and judging by last year's list, that would put it in 10th place. How would that reflect on Metalsetlists? :lol:

But seriously, lolololololol.
actually 75 votes... you forgot the multiplier

Leviathan
01-04-2011, 07:14 PM
1) Immolation- Majesty and Decay
2) Atheist- Jupiter
3) Decrepit Birth- Polarity
4) Tame Impala- Innerspeaker
5) Nachtmystium- Addicts
6) Misery Index- Heirs to Thievery
7) Coffinworm- When All Became None
8) Enslaved- Axioma Ethica Odini
9) Ghost- Opus Eponymous
10) Kvelertak- Kvelertak

DethMaiden
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
1) Immolation- Majesty and Decay
2) Atheist- Jupiter
3) Decrepit Birth- Polarity
4) Tame Impala- Innerspeaker
5) Nachtmystium- Addicts
6) Misery Index- Heirs to Thievery
7) Coffinworm- When All Became None
8) Enslaved- Axioma Ethica Odini
9) Ghost- Opus Eponymous
10) Kvelertak- Kvelertak

Solid fuckin' list. :fist:

es156
01-04-2011, 11:55 PM
01. Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
02. Accept - Blood Of The Nations
03. Heathen - The Evolution Of Chaos
04. Sahg - III
05. Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
06. Death Angel - Relentless Retribution
07. Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time
08. Gamma Ray - To The Metal!
09. Darkwater - Where Stories End
10. Grand Magus - Hammer Of The North

Honorable Mention:
11. Votum - Metafiction
12. Overkill - Ironbound
13. Vanden Plas - Seraphic Clockwork
14. Circle II Circle - Consequence Of Power
15. Helloween - 7 Sinners

ravenheart
01-05-2011, 02:29 AM
01. Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
02. Accept - Blood Of The Nations
03. Heathen - The Evolution Of Chaos
04. Sahg - III
05. Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
06. Death Angel - Relentless Retribution
07. Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time
08. Gamma Ray - To The Metal!
09. Darkwater - Where Stories End
10. Grand Magus - Hammer Of The North

Honorable Mention:
11. Votum - Metafiction
12. Overkill - Ironbound
13. Vanden Plas - Seraphic Clockwork
14. Circle II Circle - Consequence Of Power
15. Helloween - 7 Sinners

Approved :fist:

ChildrenofSodom
01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Alright Manks, get your shit together.

DethMaiden
01-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Predictions pool, anyone?

1. Blind Guardian
2. Triptykon
3. Maiden
4. Agalloch
5. Overkill
6. Nevermore
7. Enslaved
8. Alcest
9. Deftones
10. Watain

Something like that, I'm guessing.

ravenheart
01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
That'd be one of the best lists for some time...

street_burial
01-05-2011, 12:53 PM
im guessing it will be

1. Blind Guardian
2. Maiden
3. Overkill
4. Agalloch
5. Deftones
6. Nevermore
7. Enslaved
8. Atheist
9. High On Fire
10. Watain

or something of that sorts

jhdeity
01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
That'd be one of the best lists for some time...

I think 11-20 would be just as good too.

jhdeity
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
im guessing it will be

1. Blind Guardian
2. Maiden
3. Overkill
4. Agalloch
5. Deftones
6. Nevermore
7. Enslaved
8. Atheist
9. High On Fire
10. Watain

or something of that sorts

This looks closer to what I would think. If HoF doesn't make it then I'm almost thinking 11-20 might be better than 1-10

EDIT: except Triptykon is definitely Top 6

mastodon421
01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm thinking
1.Agalloch
2.Deftones
3.Blind Guardian
4.Overkill
5.Iron Maiden
6.Alcest
7.Triptykon
8.Watain
9.Nevermore
10.The Sword

I think High On Fire,Enslaved,Dillinger Escape Plan,IntrOnaut,Accept,Atheist,Fear Factory,Death Angel,Soilwork and Heathen will round out the top 20.

es156
01-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Approved :fist:

Thanks.

;)

jhdeity
01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm thinking
1.Agalloch
2.Deftones
3.Blind Guardian
4.Overkill
5.Iron Maiden
6.Alcest
7.Triptykon
8.Watain
9.Nevermore
10.The Sword

I think High On Fire,Enslaved,Dillinger Escape Plan,IntrOnaut,Accept,Atheist,Fear Factory,Death Angel,Soilwork and Heathen will round out the top 20.

If Blind Guardian isn't #1 I'd be kinda shocked. I saw lists of 9 black metal or death metal picks and BG in there. Somehow that cd crossed over many boundries. Good for them.

The_jman
01-05-2011, 06:46 PM
can't make it official since I'm not in charge. but this is what I got. not counting a couple lists that weren't numbered.

1. Iron Maiden
2. Blind Guardian
3. agalloch
4. Triptykon
5. overkill
6. deftones
7. high on fire
8. enslaved
9. nevermore
10. alcest

11. watain
12. the sword
13. IntrOnaut
14. Ihsahn
15. Avantasia
16. Atheist
17. fear factory
18. The Dillinger Escape Plan
19. Immolation
20. Ludicra

call them my 90% positive predictions. since this is Mank's show. If posting this makes me a dick... sorry. Everyone else was guessing based on observation of the votes... I just happened to be a bit obsessive about keeping track. so there are my thoughts on it.