View Full Version : Watain -- Atlanta, GA -- November 29th, 2010

coltongsmith
11-30-2010, 05:11 AM
City: Atlanta
State: Georgia
Venue: Masquerade
Date: November 29, 2010
Tour: Lawless Darkness

I got there about 2 hours early and was second there. Many people showed before the doors opened and left me hopeful for a good turnout. The opening band was some local hardcore bullshit that shouldn’t have been opening. Black Anvil started the show off right. There sound was intense and almost progressive sounding for black metal. They did play an Emperor cover at the end but otherwise I don’t have a setlist for them.
Goatwhore was next. Even though this is my fourth time seeing them, it was still fast and furious and full of headbanging, fist pounding metal. They always seem to pull out a few good older songs to change up their setlist.

Setlist
This Passing Into the Power of Demons
Provoking The Ritual Of Death
All the Sins:rocker:
Razor Flesh Devoured
Alchemy Of The Black Sun Cult
Carving Out the Eyes of God
In The Narrow Confines Of Defilement
The Black Art of Deception
In Legions, I Am Wars Of Wrath
The All-Destroying
Apocalyptic Havoc:rocker:

After Goatwhore you could immediately start to smell something foul in the air and you knew Watain was getting ready. They brought out real stinking carcasses of dead animals and hung them on the candle holders so the smell would get all around the venue. They used some incense but that only seemed to intensify the smell of the rotten flesh. When they hit the stage is was like being at my first concert. They had such power and intensity that I couldn’t actually believe I was watching this amazing band live. They changed the setlist and gave us a selection of every album and each was magnificent as the last.

Setlist
Malfeitor
Devil's Blood
Total Funeral
Satan's Hunger:demon:
Reaping Death:rocker::rocker:
Wolves Curse
Stellarvore
Black Salvation
Underneath the Cenotaph:rocker::rocker:

brian
11-30-2010, 05:22 AM
A quality show. Pretty sure that Black Anvil cover was of Celtic Frost and not Emperor but I could be wrong. They were pretty entertaining.

Goatwhore was fantastic as always.

I've seen Watain maybe 3 or 4 times and that was the best set I've seen from them. First time I've seen Eric on vocals only. He's an angry little man.

larvtard
11-30-2010, 06:10 AM
I got there during Black Anvil, they were a song or two in. They were pretty good, sounded great as a three piece. I don't know any of their stuff though. I immediately started shooting photos so I wasn't that focused on listening to the band; rather, I heard them, if that makes any sense. Anyways they were enjoyable.

Goatwhore were next. After the first two songs, my brother took the camera and I'm glad he did, because I got up front, right in front of the huge speaker, and started headbanging and screaming along. I naturally paid attention this time. Ben Falgoust is actually one of my favorite frontmen in metal. He has a great stage presence, too. He looked at me approvingly a bunch of times too as I was rocking out. He fist-bumped me as well :fist: I was planning to go up and say hi after their performance, but I didn't see him at the merch table :confused:
Anyways, they were awesome. Sounded amazing, and they had a kick-ass setlist as well.

Earlier I had been smelling something absolutely despicable; I assumed it was cigarettes :lol: But as Watain was setting up, I realized that i was smelling rotting carcasses, as part of their stage shows. Either Watain had roadies (which wouldn't surprise me), or the members had set up their equipment themselves then went backstage and put on their corpsepaint quickly before they got on. That would make sense- it was a long wait, after all.
I was on the side of the stage and suddenly the Watain members walked on stage right next to me all decked out in wicked corpsepaint. It was surreal, being that close. Creepy, but in a definitely good way. I should've taken pics of them at that moment, but thought it would be rude as I was 2 feet away from them. I'm not fucking paparazzi. Besides, the shots wouldn't have turned out good.

As with Black Anvil, I was paying more attention to the photo-taking than the music. I thought Watain sounded good live, but what do I know? I ask this partly because my brother, being a Watain fan, thought they sounded horrible and choreographed. In fact, I can't stand Watain on record. But then why did I go, right?

This was a project for my Advanced Digital Photography class at school. I was trying to emulate a certain photographer, Peter Beste. He went to Norway and took intimate pics of the famous black metal musicians there- Gaahl, Nattefrost, etc. I wanted to go backstage and take intimate pics of the Watain members with their corpsepaint on and stuff, but I was not allowed backstage access. I figured that I could just zoom in on their faces while they were playing though. Not as easy as that may seem. I got great live pics, for sure, but only a few that actually shows the corpsepaint to a great extent.

Anyway I'll post pics later. I won't post all of them, obviously- I can only use 10, anyway, and I took 434 :lol: That shouldn't be hard, though- I took a SHITLOAD of shitty pics. Black Anvil hadn't really prepared me well- Watain had much different stage lighting, so it was not the same at all.

In conclusion, twas a fine show indeed.

coltongsmith
11-30-2010, 07:51 AM
A quality show. Pretty sure that Black Anvil cover was of Celtic Frost and not Emperor but I could be wrong.
u were right/the song is called Dethroned Emperor and i got it confused

bigguytoo9
11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
I missed this concert when it came to Van, Ozzy/Halford ended up being on the same night. Sounds like it was a blast Goatwhore are always awesome live. Closing with Apocalyptic Havoc is pretty cool. Watain's show sounds unreal!!!! Im suprised they could have carcass's on stage. Now if only Jeff Walker and Bill Steer had done that.. hm?

Natrlhi
11-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Now if only Jeff Walker and Bill Steer had done that.. hm?:lol: Indeed.

tarvos
11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Coltong, I think I saw you there if you were on the rail (at least for the first half of the show). It seems like you go to almost every show that rolls through Atlanta haha.

Anyways, who else had to burn their clothes after? Fucking animal blood :eek:

bt11763
11-30-2010, 01:26 PM

lolwut?

larvtard
11-30-2010, 03:14 PM
lolwut?

haha, I doubt that was animal blood...though I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was.

NecroRob
11-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Damn, you guys didn't get Waters of Ain? That was one of the highlights from the show for me. That solo at the end of the song was probably one my favorite moments at a concert ever actually.

brian
11-30-2010, 04:33 PM
haha, I doubt that was animal blood...though I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was.

It was.

brian
11-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Also, why did Eric start attacking someone with the mic stand?

Wizzbang11
11-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Watain?
Of course it was...they always do that haha.

Wizzbang11
11-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Also, why did Eric start attacking someone with the mic stand?

He's an asshole. Duh.

brian
11-30-2010, 04:37 PM
He's an asshole. Duh.

The guy is doubtless a tool based on interviews I've seen and friends who have encountered him walking around. I just want to know what the guy in the crowd did to provoke it, haha.

larvtard
11-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Watain?
Of course it was...they always do that haha.

well, like i said, it wouldn't surprise me :lol:

orlandodavis
11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I know the guy I called Evil Santa Claus kicked somebody a couple of times for stage diving at the New Orleans show. They're going to attack the wrong person one day though. Either the guy will be a black belt, Navy SEAL, or a lawyer.

coltongsmith
11-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Coltong, I think I saw you there if you were on the rail (at least for the first half of the show). It seems like you go to almost every show that rolls through Atlanta haha.

yeh i try to make it to all the metal shows. and i came home and immediately washed my clothes/tht smell is still haunting my nose

daimonos
11-30-2010, 07:00 PM
I know the guy I called Evil Santa Claus kicked somebody a couple of times for stage diving at the New Orleans show. They're going to attack the wrong person one day though. Either the guy will be a black belt, Navy SEAL, or a lawyer.

I'm actually suprised no one has tried to fight back yet, considering about 80% of all the people I've seen crowd surf at a tiny venue are drunk assholes.

bt11763
12-01-2010, 09:33 AM
so what did they toss the blood on the audience? i'm only asking so i know what to wear hahahaha :lol:

coltongsmith
12-01-2010, 09:38 AM
so what did they toss the blood on the audience? i'm only asking so i know what to wear hahahaha :lol:

Erik throws it on people randomly from a goblet that sits on the altar. if you want it on you then stand a little to the right of the middle.

bt11763
12-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Erik throws it on people randomly from a goblet that sits on the altar. if you want it on you then stand a little to the right of the middle.

brutal. i think i'm good though :lol:

kulamram
12-02-2010, 02:23 AM
if you fuck with watain's ritual, you should expect to be kicked or beaten with a mike stand: respect a la lavey's 4th and 5th satanic principles. and if you have to ask whether watain throws real animal blood, what the fuck are you doing going to see watain in the first place?

brian
12-02-2010, 05:14 AM
if you fuck with watain's ritual, you should expect to be kicked or beaten with a mike stand: respect a la lavey's 4th and 5th satanic principles. and if you have to ask whether watain throws real animal blood, what the fuck are you doing going to see watain in the first place?

shut the hell up.
Watain is a good band but they're not magicians, they're a black metal band. they like to play with drugs like most other bands. they like to make asses out of themselves in interviews (or, maybe just Eric). they're retards who happen to make good music.

bt11763
12-02-2010, 06:45 AM

:tp:

Zla Vydra
12-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Did anyone check out Crowbar afterward at the Drunken Unicorn?

treghet
12-02-2010, 09:18 AM

You know that Anton LaVey stuff isn't even satanism, right? It's really just atheists trying to be badass. Why don't you go read about theistic satanism and come back later. Although, your post is pretty juvenile and immature, so maybe you shouldn't come back. :tp:

zgodt
12-02-2010, 09:48 AM
They hang rotting stinking animal carcasses on stage. They spill animal blood on the audience. And people pay for the privilege?

The world is full of clowns.

orlandodavis
12-02-2010, 09:50 AM

:dorky:

Wizzbang11
12-02-2010, 08:14 PM
They hang rotting stinking animal carcasses on stage. They spill animal blood on the audience. And people pay for the privilege?

The world is full of clowns.

You know I don't support them doing either of those things, but shut the fuck up.

Also anyone who is a theistic satanist is fucking stupid, and I am almost positive Watain are.
Also, Anton Lavey brand Satanism does not support animal sacrifice, and Watain love animal sacrifice.

MPF
12-02-2010, 11:01 PM
As a big Watain fan, this is one of the dumbest things I've heard a band do.

'AHHHHH, SATAN WE KILL THESE ANIMALS FOR YOU!!!! WE WILL SPILL THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT!!!!....Hey can you kids in the front please stop crowd surfing? It's throwing off my chi. Ok I'll ask again please stop? *Smashes kid in the face with the alter* SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

larvtard
12-03-2010, 06:56 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/ben52192/Watain?authkey=Gv1sRgCIWygffLv623_AE&feat=directlink#5546482893416019730

This is easily the best photo I took all night, in my honest opinion. I took a bunch of photos with the red lighting behind it, but this was the only one in which the faces were visible- their figures were dark in the other ones. Let me know what you think.

treghet
12-03-2010, 07:01 AM
That's actually a pretty cool photo. Nice job!

coltongsmith
12-03-2010, 07:12 AM
i took a few pics and have been told they were pretty good

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=244587&id=706590813

Wizzbang11
12-03-2010, 07:28 AM
As a big Watain fan, this is one of the dumbest things I've heard a band do.

'AHHHHH, SATAN WE KILL THESE ANIMALS FOR YOU!!!! WE WILL SPILL THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT!!!!....Hey can you kids in the front please stop crowd surfing? It's throwing off my chi. Ok I'll ask again please stop? *Smashes kid in the face with the alter* SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:party:

zgodt
12-03-2010, 07:36 AM
You know I don't support them doing either of those things, but shut the fuck up.

Also anyone who is a theistic satanist is fucking stupid, and I am almost positive Watain are.
Also, Anton Lavey brand Satanism does not support animal sacrifice, and Watain love animal sacrifice.

Why should I shut the fuck up? They're assholes. They're stupid fucking assholes. Fuck them and fuck their fans.

DethMaiden
12-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Why should I shut the fuck up? They're assholes. They're stupid fucking assholes. Fuck them and fuck their fans.

Well, I love Watain's music, so thanks for that.

Wizzbang11
12-03-2010, 07:41 AM

They are assholes. Their music is pretty neat.
But you seem to have a problem with any over the top black metal stuff, and it's obviously not meant for you. The only problem I have with them is that they kill animals, as far as I'm concerned other than that they can and SHOULD do whatever the fuck they want, including having 'rituals' onstage, throwing blood etc.

bt11763
12-03-2010, 07:53 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/ben52192/Watain?authkey=Gv1sRgCIWygffLv623_AE&feat=directlink#5546482893416019730

This is easily the best photo I took all night, in my honest opinion. I took a bunch of photos with the red lighting behind it, but this was the only one in which the faces were visible- their figures were dark in the other ones. Let me know what you think.

that was awesome dude :party:

larvtard
12-03-2010, 09:00 AM
that was awesome dude :party:
That's actually a pretty cool photo. Nice job!

Thanks a lot guys. This was my first time taking photos at a show so I'm glad I got at least one good photo.

I have other variations on this one too (motion blur, gaussian blur, black and white). if you guys wanna see them I'll post them up.

kulamram
12-03-2010, 09:11 AM
yes, the world is full of clowns, many of whom attend watain rituals...

Derelict
12-03-2010, 09:13 AM
BREAKING NEWS: religion is a waste of time

zgodt
12-03-2010, 09:26 AM
They are assholes. Their music is pretty neat.
But you seem to have a problem with any over the top black metal stuff, and it's obviously not meant for you. The only problem I have with them is that they kill animals, as far as I'm concerned other than that they can and SHOULD do whatever the fuck they want, including having 'rituals' onstage, throwing blood etc.

Well, I love Watain's music, so thanks for that.

Look, I don't know shit about their music except that they're apparently on the more interesting end of the black metal spectrum. But at this point, I don't think I could bring myself to care. If they kill animals and display the carcasses for show, they're assholes. And if it's not just for show -- if it's because they truly believe in their hearts that killing small defenseless things for the hell of it is truly right, then fuck them even more.

I mean, this has a bearing on their art. If they make up nifty riffs or whatever, but it's all in the service of some bullshit "evil" trip that includes actually causing pain and death, then I can't get behind any part of the music. I can't say "well, they're assholes, but it sure sounds good." It's the same deal I have with Eminem, in a way -- sure he's smart as hell, sure his rhymes are tight, but he uses them to spit misogynist homophobic shit, so fuck him. I don't want any part of it.

As for "black metal stuff" in general, mostly I think it's just fucking silly. You're right, it's not for me. All the corpse paint and medieval weaponry and grimness and Black Speech of Mordor and ritual satanism -- it just makes me laugh, but to each his own.

As for the musical genre itself, whatever. I've never heard any I liked much, but I've actually been trying to give some of it another shot -- checking out Ludicra and Alcest, for instance, and the Gin album from last year, since people seem to think these are so great. It sure seems like most of the emerging, interesting bands have more going on, in their lyrics and attitude, than this ridiculous satanic posturing.

brian
12-03-2010, 09:41 AM
COOL GUY ALERT

larvtard
12-03-2010, 07:50 PM
i took a few pics and have been told they were pretty good

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=244587&id=706590813

See, your advantage was that you were right in front of the middle of the stage :finger: I got more of the cool background lighting in mine, with their dark figures illuminated against it, but rarely was I able to shoot their actual faces.

I like those a lot, though. Good job.

Also, did you meet Ben from Goatwhore? I was looking for him at the merch table after the show but I couldn't find him. Shame, I wanted to chat with him and maybe get a pic. I'm sure he would've remembered me, as I was screaming the words the whole time, and would've given me a high-five :fist:

coltongsmith
12-03-2010, 07:54 PM
See, your advantage was that you were right in front of the middle of the stage :finger: I got more of the cool background lighting in mine, with their dark figures illuminated against it, but rarely was I able to shoot their actual faces.

I like those a lot, though. Good job.

Also, did you meet Ben from Goatwhore? I was looking for him at the merch table after the show but I couldn't find him. Shame, I wanted to chat with him and maybe get a pic. I'm sure he would've remembered me, as I was screaming the words the whole time, and would've given me a high-five :fist:

thanks. yeh i am always up and in there face when i got to shows and take pics.
no Ben was nowhere to be found all night. i did find Sammy but Ben was absent all night and i was also looking for a picture. Sammy did say they were starting to get ready for their new cd as soon as this tour is done

DethMaiden
12-04-2010, 12:13 PM
This thread is goddamn comical. Waaaaaa the smell, boohooo the poor animals, oh no a random faggot decided to interrupt their set and get his ass handed to him waaaaaaaaaaaaaa, why would they do that?! Hahaha what a bunch of fucking pussies.

I feel like the moderate Republicans who feel awkward when the Tea Party does something ridiculous. Please, let those of us who don't call people "faggots" and "pussies" defend Watain and kindly stop talking.

christopher
12-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Im suprised they could have carcass's on stage. Now if only Jeff Walker and Bill Steer had done that.. hm?

Both of them are Vegans. Of course they aren't going to hang carcasses at a Carcass show.

Wizzbang11
12-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Both of them are Vegans. Of course they aren't going to hang carcasses at a Carcass show.

Word.

And Xivienne, you're not helping Watain's cause.

SplinterMech
12-04-2010, 07:45 PM
This thread is pretty amusing. I'm not quite sure what all the arguing is about. Watain present something that is at the other side of the spectrum spiritually/ideologically than what some of you believe? You don't support the killing of animals or the use of blood at their shows? They beat up some idiot who got in their way at a show? I'm not a certified genius or anything, but I think the conclusion is that, if you don't like or support the band, either don't buy their albums or don't go to their shows. Seems pretty simple to me, but, hey, what do I know, right?

zgodt
12-05-2010, 06:03 AM
This thread is pretty amusing. I'm not quite sure what all the arguing is about. Watain present something that is at the other side of the spectrum spiritually/ideologically than what some of you believe? You don't support the killing of animals or the use of blood at their shows? They beat up some idiot who got in their way at a show? I'm not a certified genius or anything, but I think the conclusion is that, if you don't like or support the band, either don't buy their albums or don't go to their shows. Seems pretty simple to me, but, hey, what do I know, right?

Indeed, I won't buy their albums or go to their shows. But that's still a little simplistic, right? Suppose someone is running an dog-fighting ring in your neighborhood; is it enough just to say "if you don't like it don't go"? Animal cruelty is unethical and criminal, not just a matter of taste.

daimonos
12-05-2010, 08:09 AM
You guys don't think they actually kill all the dead animals that are on stage do you?

larvtard
12-05-2010, 08:11 AM
You guys don't think they actually kill all the dead animals that are on stage do you?

I mean, again I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did, but yeah, I doubt that they do the killing.

coltongsmith
12-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Indeed, I won't buy their albums or go to their shows. But that's still a little simplistic, right? Suppose someone is running an dog-fighting ring in your neighborhood; is it enough just to say "if you don't like it don't go"? Animal cruelty is unethical and criminal, not just a matter of taste.

i love their albums and shows and even if they do kill the animals so what? they're just animals. i'm not into the ritual but if thats their thing then let them be

DethMaiden
12-05-2010, 08:16 AM
My standards for what constitutes animal cruelty doesn't let me get sad about the swift killing of an unendangered species, sorry. As far as we know, they don't torture them, making this a horse of a totally different color from dogfighting.

SplinterMech
12-05-2010, 09:42 AM

Then do something about it. De-railing a thread about a specific show with your own preachy opinion (and this applies to anyone else for that matter) isn't going change anything. You should go to their shows and protest or something, then see what the fuck happens. This thread is about the Atlanta show, it's setlist, and people's experiences whilst there. Leave the criticism for a forum that actually warrants it.

mankvill
12-05-2010, 09:46 AM
they pick up roadkill

DethMaiden
12-05-2010, 10:24 AM
they pick up roadkill

Actually, I have read that. That negates any possibility of criminality.

Wizzbang11
12-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Sorry manks and Brad, and whoever else is saying they don't kill animals, they do. No always, but it's more like an improvised thing. If they don't have anything dead, they kill something. If they see a dead thing, they take it. They talk all the time about animal sacrifice n shit, and they got in a huge shitstorm in Canada awhile back for killing pigeons for a show, they had previously attempted to acquire a homeless guys dog but that fell through.
THAT SAID. Actually, being a vegetarian and generally valuing animals more than the average person, I don't agree with any of it, but it is better than dog fighting. It's bullshit to kill something for your stupid concert, but saying that's on par with torturing animals for sport just doesn't work.

zgodt
12-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Then do something about it. De-railing a thread about a specific show with your own preachy opinion (and this applies to anyone else for that matter) isn't going change anything. You should go to their shows and protest or something, then see what the fuck happens. This thread is about the Atlanta show, it's setlist, and people's experiences whilst there. Leave the criticism for a forum that actually warrants it.

Oh please. "De-railing a thread"?

idrinkwine732
12-05-2010, 07:57 PM

This is merely an exchange of ideas on a topic related to the original post. Assuming I read this correctly and the discussion is about the ethics of Watain's live show and not about last week's dinner, I don't see how this is bothersome. It isn't necessarily the type of discussion where we attempt to prove one another wrong, we merely exchange ideas and try to understand both sides. If any truth is gleaned throughout this discussion, that's fantastic.

If you can't suck it up, maybe the internet isn't for you.

:2cents:

zgodt
12-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Sorry manks and Brad, and whoever else is saying they don't kill animals, they do. No always, but it's more like an improvised thing. If they don't have anything dead, they kill something. If they see a dead thing, they take it. They talk all the time about animal sacrifice n shit, and they got in a huge shitstorm in Canada awhile back for killing pigeons for a show, they had previously attempted to acquire a homeless guys dog but that fell through.
THAT SAID. Actually, being a vegetarian and generally valuing animals more than the average person, I don't agree with any of it, but it is better than dog fighting. It's bullshit to kill something for your stupid concert, but saying that's on par with torturing animals for sport just doesn't work.

Right. The stuff about killing pigeons and trying to get the homeless dog to kill, that's straight from the singer's mouth. I also read that they've done things like back a cat into a corner and beat it to death.

I mentioned dogfighting to make a point about how simplistic the "if you don't like it don't go" comment is, not to establish a precise equivalent. But really, if we're splitting hairs about which kind of killing and mutilating animals is okay... isn't that sorta not okay?

Look. If you're not convinced, you're not convinced. People get behind a lot of shit that doesn't make any sense to me.

SplinterMech
12-05-2010, 08:28 PM
This is merely an exchange of ideas on a topic related to the original post. Assuming I read this correctly and the discussion is about the ethics of Watain's live show and not about last week's dinner, I don't see how this is bothersome. It isn't necessarily the type of discussion where we attempt to prove one another wrong, we merely exchange ideas and try to understand both sides. If any truth is gleaned throughout this discussion, that's fantastic.

If you can't suck it up, maybe the internet isn't for you.

:2cents:

It's not a matter of sucking it up, as I'm not necessarily offended by anything that's been said about the band or the disagreement with certain aspects of their live show. To disagree with the band's actions or dislike them because of said actions is one thing, but when you start calling their fans or people who adhere to similar belief systems as "clowns" or "fucking idiots", without necessarily having any real understanding of what it is they believe in or why, then it becomes personal. In the end, it's no real skin off my back as there are far more important things than some irrelevant internet argument to focus my time and attention on, but at some point I feel obligated to stick up for the fan base I am proudly a part of. Obviously no one is going to change anyone else's opinion on the matter of animal sacrifice/killing, though; as zgodt has just stated, "If you're not convinced, you're not convinced."

brian
12-06-2010, 02:40 PM
It's not a matter of sucking it up, as I'm not necessarily offended by anything that's been said about the band or the disagreement with certain aspects of their live show. To disagree with the band's actions or dislike them because of said actions is one thing, but when you start calling their fans or people who adhere to similar belief systems as "clowns" or "fucking idiots", without necessarily having any real understanding of what it is they believe in or why, then it becomes personal. In the end, it's no real skin off my back as there are far more important things than some irrelevant internet argument to focus my time and attention on, but at some point I feel obligated to stick up for the fan base I am proudly a part of. Obviously no one is going to change anyone else's opinion on the matter of animal sacrifice/killing, though; as zgodt has just stated, "If you're not convinced, you're not convinced."

They are fucking idiots. It has nothing to do with what they believe in.

Question: how many times have you encountered them personally, or how many people do you know who have?

Heiden
12-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Who the hell started saying they kill the animals? Fucking morons, mostly the zgot whatever guy. Watain DO NOT kill the animals. They either A: PURCHASE the animal heads and blood or B: Pick up roadkill. Nothing else. I know this for a fucking fact, so don't argue. Morons.

And Eric is a cool guy, I've talked with him in person several times. Just don't act like a douche bag, just treat him like a regular guy. He's one of of those people that don't like to be mobbed or looked at like a rockstar.

zgodt
12-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Who the hell started saying they kill the animals? Fucking morons, mostly the zgot whatever guy. Watain DO NOT kill the animals. They either A: PURCHASE the animal heads and blood or B: Pick up roadkill. Nothing else. I know this for a fucking fact, so don't argue. Morons.

And Eric is a cool guy, I've talked with him in person several times. Just don't act like a douche bag, just treat him like a regular guy. He's one of of those people that don't like to be mobbed or looked at like a rockstar.

You know it for a fact?

Here's an interview with Eric where he describes how they tried to get some homeless dude's dog to kill for their show, and when that didn't work, hunted pigeons in Montreal with slingshots.

http://www.metalkult.com/videos/watain2008/

You're the fucking moron.

mankvill
12-07-2010, 11:55 AM
you guys just aren't kvlt enough

DethMaiden
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Okay, let me throw in a small confession to this debate: Part of me is still a weird, outcasted thirteen year-old getting into metal and loving dark imagery, and Watain's show/image/belief system is cool to me, and I'm pretty willing to forgive certain transgressions. Much more so than, say, NSBM bands.

Derelict
12-07-2010, 02:43 PM

This isn't even worth googling a cool story bro picture.

mankvill
12-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Okay, let me throw in a small confession to this debate: Part of me is still a weird, outcasted thirteen year-old getting into metal and loving dark imagery, and Watain's show/image/belief system is cool to me, and I'm pretty willing to forgive certain transgressions. Much more so than, say, NSBM bands.

Arghoslent scoffs at you!

DethMaiden
12-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Arghoslent scoffs at you!

Dude, you don't know how much I've battled myself about that band. Never has a band that I hate ideologically actually made me wish they weren't such fucking idiots as much as Arghoslent.

mankvill
12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Dude, you don't know how much I've battled myself about that band. Never has a band that I hate ideologically actually made me wish they weren't such fucking idiots as much as Arghoslent.

Because of the riffs, right? :shred:

DethMaiden
12-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Because of the riffs, right? :shred:

Yeah, they're amazing. :snivel:

zgodt
12-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Real talk, Brad.:metal:

Now I'm curious about what aspects of their imagery/belief system you find attractive. Not being sarcastic/rhetorical or trying to bait you into a trap -- I'd really like to know. I don't think there's any part of it I could get behind, but I would like to understand. I've been that weird 13-year-old outcast, and some of the fantasies I harbored then were... well, not generous and open-hearted. What part of you does Watain feed?

DethMaiden
12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
The corpsepaint, the altars, the fire, the artwork, the air of mystery they carry themselves with, their usually pretty awesome lyrics about the devil and darkness and witchery...the animal "sacrifice" is the thing I'm the least attracted to, but it's a part of the image they offer, and I guess I don't really mind it. Never been a vegetarian, never been an animal rights advocate, never really cared that much about that movement, so it's obvious that it wouldn't stir up my emotions to see the band present animal sacrifice as a part of their shtick.

I mean, here's some sample lyrics, from "Reaping Death," probably my favorite song of theirs at this point:

"Higher, higher/Come on, you sons of fire/Daughters of the black moon/Practitioners of arts most dire"

"Hail! Hail!/Thou who makes the cosmos wail/In anguish as we fuck the world/And sodomize the god that failed."

I'm sure you can see how that's attractive to the same guy who as a 12-year-old bought his first Iron Maiden album after hearing "666/The number of the beast/Hell and fire were spawned to be released." I mean, I was a Christian when I got into metal and that shit was still attractive to me. I like darkness, I like dark imagery, I like "evil" stuff, even though I know it's all nonsense. I wouldn't like metal if I wasn't attracted to that side of humanity. So is the animal sacrifice a little bit silly? Inhuman even? Well, sure, but it's part of a package that appeals to me, the kid who grumbled about going to Sunday school and went home to listen to Slayer.

That's all. :)

zgodt
12-07-2010, 09:07 PM
So with the altars, the "air of mystery," the lyrics about "daughters of the black moon"... does it make you feel like you're accessing something bigger than yourself? (Even if it's, like, just pretend?)

Or is it the sense of saying "fuck you" to what you're supposed to be doing? (Like running home from Sunday School to listen to Slayer...) Does it feel like it gives you some bite-back against the shit that weighs you down? Higher higher fuck the world?

Or a bit of both?

DethMaiden
12-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Hmm, I've never really thought to articulate it, so you've kind of got me at a loss. I'd say when I was first getting into metal and I still felt some attachment to the "spiritual world" or whatever, it felt dangerous and rebellious, and maybe my lingering attraction to it is somewhat of a vestige of that time in my life. Now though? I think I just like dark, evil stuff for the same reasons I like, say, superhero comics and Western movies. It's an escape from the familiar. It has nothing to do with my life, but what it presents is "cool" to me.

This is ridiculously hard to put into words, sorry for rambling. :lol:

zgodt
12-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Hmm, I've never really thought to articulate it, so you've kind of got me at a loss. I'd say when I was first getting into metal and I still felt some attachment to the "spiritual world" or whatever, it felt dangerous and rebellious, and maybe my lingering attraction to it is somewhat of a vestige of that time in my life. Now though? I think I just like dark, evil stuff for the same reasons I like, say, superhero comics and Western movies. It's an escape from the familiar. It has nothing to do with my life, but what it presents is "cool" to me.

This is ridiculously hard to put into words, sorry for rambling. :lol:

But, I mean, you don't think actual evil is cool. Right? It's all symbolic and metaphorical? You're not down with actually beating cats to death, say, or celebrating slave-rape? Because I think I can relate to the theory, but where bands cross into actual cruelty, I can't follow.

zgodt
12-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Oh, and no apologies necessary. I'm the one asking all these damned questions. :)

DethMaiden
12-07-2010, 09:35 PM
But, I mean, you don't think actual evil is cool. Right? It's all symbolic and metaphorical? You're not down with actually beating cats to death, say, or celebrating slave-rape? Because I think I can relate to the theory, but where bands cross into actual cruelty, I can't follow.

Well, right. Actual evil, if we're going to use the word "evil" to mean amoral, criminal activities in this world, is unforgivable. I'm kind of struggling with where I draw that line right now since Watain does horrible things to animals (and I've already supported them financially) and Arghoslent, whom I'm starting to get really into, has horrible, horrible racist lyrics (haven't bought anything of theirs.) I'm working on it. As a metalhead, this is kind of one of the big questions, and I haven't figured out where I stand just yet.

Metaphorical evil is attractive to me, though, yes. I think even a band like Iron Maiden plays up that kind of evil to some degree, putting Eddie on their covers. Mercyful Fate were just a nice group of Danish dudes who happened to sing about witchcraft and paint inverted crosses on their heads from time to time.

At the end of the day, though, the music has to back it up. Deicide has been (lyrically) fucking God and hailing Satan for a lot longer than Watain, but their music sucks. If Watain didn't write great black metal songs, at least part of this debate would be moot.

MPF
12-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Just to jump in the discussion. I listen to Watain, Behemoth, and Marduk as much as I listen to Neal Morse.

Religious messages mean nothing to me. As I keep saying, it's about the damn muisc, not what religion you belive in.

powerslave_85
12-07-2010, 09:51 PM
So, I'm listening to these guys and...this is actually pretty damn good. One of my biggest beefs with BM is the production, so this gets automatic bonus points for not sounding like it was recorded in someone's bathroom.

Heiden
12-09-2010, 06:15 AM
This isn't even worth googling a cool story bro picture.

That was suppose to be funny or something? Okay retarded douche bag.

Heiden
12-09-2010, 06:22 AM
You know it for a fact?

Here's an interview with Eric where he describes how they tried to get some homeless dude's dog to kill for their show, and when that didn't work, hunted pigeons in Montreal with slingshots.

http://www.metalkult.com/videos/watain2008/

You're the fucking moron.

I didn't watch it, but I wouldn't take any of that seriously. Most likely it was just dumb bullshitting.

I've been with the people who set up their shows on numerous locations so I know full well how it works you dumb jackass. So go sit on it.

treghet
12-09-2010, 07:06 AM
I didn't watch it, but I wouldn't take any of that seriously. Most likely it was just dumb bullshitting.

I've been with the people who set up their shows on numerous locations so I know full well how it works you dumb jackass. So go sit on it.

You've offered no proof of anything you've said, therefore your "argument" is worthless. In fact, you've spent more time insulting people than actually typing a useful reply. So, please gtfo. :tp:

Derelict
12-09-2010, 07:26 AM
That was suppose to be funny or something? Okay retarded douche bag.

I know it's a bold statement, but i think you are the worst poster we've had.

zgodt
12-09-2010, 08:20 AM

Let me get this straight.

You didn't bother to watch it, but you still know -- better than anyone who did watch it -- exactly what it means and how seriously it should be taken.

When it comes to Watain's practices, I should trust you, an anonymous poster on an internet board, more than I should trust what the lead singer of Watain himself has to say. On video. In an official interview. Where I can see and hear the actual words coming out of his actual mouth.

And I'm the dumb jackass.

Thank you for clarifying.

powerslave_85
12-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Is 4chan sending ambassadors to this board or something? Because I swear this place has had more and more obnoxious, hate-speech spewing fuckheads lately. You know, the people who think "fag" is hilarious and think "COOL STORY BRO" is a scathing comeback. It's making this place a lot less enjoyable.

mankvill
12-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Is 4chan sending ambassadors to this board or something? Because I swear this place has had more and more obnoxious, hate-speech spewing fuckheads lately. You know, the people who think "fag" is hilarious and think "COOL STORY BRO" is a scathing comeback. It's making this place a lot less enjoyable.

stfu fag

IrritatedTrout
12-09-2010, 10:24 AM
stfu fag

cool story bro

bt11763
12-09-2010, 11:27 AM
stfu fag

this

also, this discussion is still taking place? :confused:

maxpower
12-09-2010, 11:27 AM
stfu fag

This is actually pretty funny. :party:

zgodt
12-09-2010, 01:02 PM
This is actually pretty funny. :party:

It's really not.

zgodt
12-09-2010, 01:03 PM
also, this discussion is still taking place? :confused:

It was, but you have shown us the error of our ways.

/thread.

Heiden
12-14-2010, 01:42 PM
You've offered no proof of anything you've said, therefore your "argument" is worthless. In fact, you've spent more time insulting people than actually typing a useful reply. So, please gtfo. :tp:

Wtf do you want me to do, give you peoples addresses and phone numbers so you can contact them and ask them? How exactly do I go about proving it? So say something more intelligent next time. Only insulting people because I witnessing jackasses talk about shit like they know for a fact, when in reality, I actually do.

Heiden
12-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Let me get this straight.

You didn't bother to watch it, but you still know -- better than anyone who did watch it -- exactly what it means and how seriously it should be taken.

When it comes to Watain's practices, I should trust you, an anonymous poster on an internet board, more than I should trust what the lead singer of Watain himself has to say. On video. In an official interview. Where I can see and hear the actual words coming out of his actual mouth.

And I'm the dumb jackass.

Thank you for clarifying.

These guys say stupid shit. Just like Glen Benton said he was gonna kill himself when he got 30 or whatever. They say stupid shit but don't act out on it. Or at least while they are out on tour. I really don't see why that is so fucking difficult to understand.

daimonos
12-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't know how no one seems to have caught on, but Watain like to piss people off. They're assholes in interviews to piss people off. They talk shit on other bands to piss people off. They say they're the best band in the world and ya know why? To piss people off. And they're doing a damn fine job. I love Watain, and nothing they say bothers me because I know that they're just trying to piss people off. Judging by this thread, and all the people arguing about stupid shit, they're pretty good at doing their job, aren't they?

illuminatus917
12-14-2010, 07:28 PM
After reading through this entire thread, I'm going to go listen to Watain and kill an animal.