PDA

View Full Version : MPF's 2010 In Review...A New Concept

MPF
11-30-2010, 02:10 AM
I thought it over tonight, and I'm going to do something completely different.

I have so many albums from 2010 and I want to find a way to get all the albums I bought reviewed without being bored. That said I'm going to set my iTunes to my non-live 2010 playlist and set it on random. the first few songs that come up are the albums I'll review a day, until I get through them all or I run out of time. 5 is the minimum amount I'll do at a time.

Whether it is my favorite album of 2010, or the shittiest album of 2010, I'll review them as they are randomized. I'm still going to do the best/worst lists and yadda yadda yadda I talked about in the 2010 Thread, but I wanted to try this experiment first.

This collection will be from Soul to Satanic Death Metal, and everything in between :rocker::

Here are the first 5 randomized albums:

1.) Hail Of Bullets: On Divine Winds

This album is simply awesome. Simply brutal from start to finish, with a very nice war concept throughout. a great mixture of Thrash and Death Metal. The vocals are very reminiscent to Chuck Shuldiner, which is great to hear in today's music. One of my favorite drummers, Ed Warby is simply badass all the way through. Anyone who misses the days of Mid-career Death really need to pick this album up. It is very much worth your time.

7/10

2.) Avenged Sevenfold- Nightmare

A lot of people this year are either going to have a huge hard-on for this album, or completely shit on it. I'm in the middle. There are a lot of great tracks on this album *Save Me, being the best* and a lot that just seem to be filler *So Far Way for example* With as many good heavy songs on this album, there is just as many ballads, which really weighs the album down. With very few exceptions, I feel no album should ever have more then 2 real ballads for that reason. Dealing with the drums. The more I listen to this album, the more I can't tell it's Mike Portnoy on drums. It honestly sounds like The Rev's last album. Being an Avenged Sevenfold fan from the time I saw the premier of Unholy Confessions on Headbanger's Ball. I can say they are musically at the top of their game. But as I said there is a lot missing on this album as well. I'll go out saying it's an above average album, but honestly either they have peaked, or their best is yet to come.

6/10

3.) Dark Tranquillity: We Are The Void

I can honestly say that there is only one other album this year that has disappointed me as much as We Are The Void *I won't say what that is until I review it*. It's not that Dark Tranquillity isn't an amazing band. They really are. But this time they seemed really hard pressed to remake the same two songs on this album, The fest paced Thrasher, and the heavy mid-tempo groover, THAT'S IT! Had this been just an EP, I'd say that did a hell of a job with the release. They really phoned it in this time. I'm hoping with the next release they will try to show more sides of themselves. I know they are capable of it, that's why I feel so let down this time.

3/10

4.) Judgement Day- Peacocks/Pink Monsters

There are shitty String Metal bands like Apocalyptica, and there are the most badass String Metal bands like Judgement Day. I saw these guys open for dredg back in November 2008, and they completely blew me away. Instrumental Sting *Violin, Cello* Metal That doesn't sell out. Peacocks/Pink Monsters is badass from start to finish. The production on this album is also very amazing. From the Brutal attack of Cobra Strike to the beautiful, soundtrack worthy 9 minute track, Genosha. If you love Metal with a real String/Classical edge. buy this album!

8/10

5.) Lair Of The Minotaur- Evil Power

This album is very Sludgy and very Thrashy. A good way to describe it is if Mastodon and Torche made a band a Testament inspired Thrash band. While some of the songs do start the same, at only 30 minutes, it is short enough to where it all feels right. When you're on the freeway and you need to get some aggression out. This a half hour of Evil Power that's worth putting on.

7/10

6.) Seventh Wonder- The Great Escape

I just picked up this album and I can honestly say I'm very happy I did. Original Progressive Metal that should have been made years ago. It is very sad to me that these guys will most likely never get biog enough to tour extensively. But if I could I'd do whatever it took to make sure they could get out there for everyone to see.The closing 30 minute Title Track is one of the greatest Prog songs my ears will ever hear. While not a perfect album. it is one of the best Progressive Metal albums of the Decade, without question.

9/10

7.) Texas Hippie Coalition- Rollin

These guys are filling the Hard rock void that Pantera's Walk set back in the 90's. While it is indeed Hard Rock, you can without question hear all the Pantera/Exhorder influence. I first heard these guys on a local rock radio station and was very impressed. The only thing that I can knock about this album is does get a forced poppy feel in a lot of spots. But the heavier tracks more then make up for it. Think of it this way. This is what Down and Hellyeah should sound like.

6/10

8.) Finntroll- Nifelvind

Heavy Folk/Death Metal. That should say it all. The keyboard tracks on this album give the album a very, dare I say Bugs Bunny soundtrack feel to them, but everything else is just as heavy as any European Black and or Death metal out there. It is an interesting blend but one that keeps you captivated throughout the album. For when you feel like partying with your viking buddies after watching Lord Of The Rings, this album should be the soundtrack.

7/10

9.) Paul Gilbert- Fuzz Universe

Of all the guitar virtuosos out there, Paul Gilbert is easily my favorite. His style is exactly what I love in a G3 style guitarist. Bluesy, groovin', Hard Rocking, and mind blowing all at the same time. Vai has always been too mechanical to me and Satriani, while not as bad of a violator as Vai, is close. Gilbert just plain does it right, and makes the album listenable all the way through without getting bored. That is very hard to do with guitar virtuoso albums.

8/10

10.) Stone Sour- Audio Secrecy

I didn't go into this album with much, if any expectations. I will say this. Had Stone Sour not made anything heavier then this album, I would say they are a great Alternative Rock. While there are some heavier songs, only the fact that it sounds more like a forced effort to be more radio friendly knocks some points off. The songs are actually pretty good. Mission Statement is actually almost a Metal song. And if I was back in High school, I'd even say Hesitate should be everyone's song at Prom. Overall it's a great Hard Rock/Alternative Rock album. Don't ever expect Stone sour to go back to their first album, and I dare say it, I'm ok with that.

6/10

*Stay tuned from when I come back from Blind Guardian for more*

mastodon421
11-30-2010, 04:10 AM
This is a cool concept, nice work MPF.

MPF
11-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks man!

The next installment is coming tonight. I just gotta wind down from Blind Guardian a bit before I get started.

MPF
12-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Check the next post*

MPF
12-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Alright back to work:

11.) Dead Letter Circus- This Is The Warning

There are a ton of Tool/Chevelle inspired Australian bands that have risen in the last few year. I will say Dead Letter Circus and Karnivool are the two best at it. Dead Letter Circus is bit heavier overall then Karnivool. Much more drum focus, which grabs my attention right away. But they write extremely catchy Hooks and keeping a very cool Post Rock vibe amongst the Tool/Chevelle comparisons. They might not make it big outside of Australia, but I will continue to support these guys through and through. They get it right.

7/10

12.) Kylesa- Spiral Shadow

Even though there are two drummers in this band and one of the hottest chicks in Metal. I'm not really into these guys much in the past. But Spiral Shadows has changed my mind about them. While they have written catchier hooks, it's not nearly as prolonged sludge that kept me away from them. Not to say I don't love Sludge Metal, but in the past I didn't get Kylesa's take on it. This time around they found their niche. I hope the new albums continue to go in this route.

6/10

13.) Holy Grail- Crisis In Utopia

These guys are absolutely insane live, and this album shows that they can kick serious ass in the studio without losing their live aspect. While there have been a ton of Retro-Metal bands forming in the last few years, I'm actually very happy in it's resurgence. No BROOOTAL Breakdowns or pig raping squeals, just Modern Thrash with that Classic Metal vibe. I love it. I hope these guys make it far.

8/10

14.) Hate- Erebos:

While these guys are good at what they do. The Polish Blackened Death Metal scene only has one band that matters. Behemoth. Maybe it's just because I'm spoiled on Behemoth to give this more of a fair shot. But I will say that while It doesn't have much staying power, it does have some nice Melodic Breaks and not always Brutal all the time. Which gives it a few extra points. Maybe after a few more spins I may find more to appreciate.

4/10

15.) God Dethroned- Under The Sign Of The Iron Cross

One of the best examples of Death Metal ever.While I feel they don't get the cred they deserve. I'm willing to give them that cred. This album again showcases that it's not about the speed and brutality they make, it's about the song structure and how you can make the songs ever more badass. They aren't afraid to be Melodic and dare I say groovy at times. As far as Death Metal goes, This is one of the best of 2010 by far.

8/10

16.) Charred Walls Of The Damned- Charred Walls Of The Damned

Richard Christy back playing drums...how could this not be a mindblowing album? While my initial reaction to this album was best album of 2010. After repeated listens, while it still has staying power, does feel a bit lacking.Every song has a great catchy Melodic hook amongst the heaviness. But at the same time, that I can't seem to pin point makes it feel like it could have so much more. For a debut album it's one of the best debuts to come out in a long time, but I really am hoping for more on the 2nd album...plus a real tour.

7/10

17.) Eluveitie- Everything Remains (As It Never Was)

My favorite Folk Metal band are at it again, and I'll go on record saying this is my favorite album from them. While the Folk elements have been pushed back a tad, the overall songwriting feels a bit more inspired this time around, at least since Slania. When their upcoming tour rolls through town, they are the band I'm looking forward to the most. Every song is just as catchy as the one before it. I really hope this will not be their peak, they are way too damn good right now.

9/10

18.) Electric Wizard- Black Masses

A Modern Day mix of Black Sabbath and Sunn O))) with more Death and Drug references. I think that's a fair definition. This is definitely a mood album. You gotta be in the right state of mind for it. I'm never on drugs and I don't think about death much, so that makes it a bit harder. But the album as a whole is very damn good. And if you're not a fan of Droney, Doom Metal, this will not be the album for you. But if you do enjoy Droney Doom Metal, This is the best of 2010 by far.

7/10

19.) Mnemic- Sons Of The System

Ever since they released The Audio Injected Soul *I still consider it their peak*, I've been thoroughly disappointed with every album these guys make. Sons Of The System is not much on an improvement. They lost all the elements that separate them from the pack of Industrial influenced Metal. I'll go ahead and say and wish they would make The Audio Injected Soul Part II. The newer more mainstream style mixed with Meshuggah riffs like the last two albums just isn't it for me.

3/10

20.) Orphaned Land- The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR

Middle Eastern/Hebrew Metal that gets it right. While I'm not of the Hebrew faith, I really like the style that they incorporate with great Progressive Metal. And with Steven Wilson as mixer and playing keyboards, this album is on the right track. While I don't consider it their best album. I will say Sapari is their best "hit". I regret missing these guys with Katatonia back in September *i had a gig of my own*, and with the way things are going, I doubt they will be back to the states anytime soon, if ever. But at least I know they made a badass album to support.

8/10

21.) Demon Hunter- The World Is A Thorn

I gotta give these guys credit. They keep getting heavier with each album. Long gone are their days of the industrial influence and now they are a legitimate Metal band. I will say this is their best album, but at the same time, I haven't given this album much of a chance. The Christian vibe doesn't both me, being a Lutheran and all. But as a whole, I know most people will be turned off to it for that reason. Give it a chance, it's worth it.

6/10

22.) Solution .45- For Aeon's Past

This is another album I haven't given a fair chance yet. But as I listen to it, I do find it to be a better version of what Scar Symmetry could have been. While I still need to give this album a shot, I will say that these guys can make it far with their next album.

5/10

23.) Watain- Lawness Darkness

Without question, the best straight up Black metal album to come out this year. These guys stick with their message. Make Satanic Black Metal that kicks ass. That's what they do on every song. While I know they are getting a ton of shit lately from the Black Metal community, I think their next album will make or break these guys. I really hope it makes them. This is my kinda Black Metal.

9/10

24.) Bison B.C.- Dark Ages

Long gone are the days of these guys being refereed to as a Mastodon ripoff band. These guys have found their sound. Heavy, with tid bits of Thrash and Stoner. While the Mastodon Ripoff comments will never leave this band, Bison B.C. showcases that their style can not be fucked with, and only gets better with age.

8/10

25.) Halford- Made of Metal

Wow, I didn't think this one would pop up so quick. Besides the greatest track Halford made in the last 20 years, The Mower. This is the shittiest album I've listen to in at least 2 years *that referring to music I like to listen to* I don't know what the hell Halford was thinking. Halford's solo albums used to be some of the most kickass music in Metal, now it's gone down the shitter with horrid 80's style glam rock tunes. Again, sans The Mower, avoid this album at all cost.

1/10 *again only because The Mower is a good song*

*Well that's it for round 2, more likely tomorrow*

Natrlhi
12-01-2010, 05:29 AM
12.) Kylesa- Spiral Shadow

Even though there are two drummers in this band and one of the hottest chicks in Metal. I'm not really into these guys much in the past. But Spiral Shadows has changed my mind about them. While they have written catchier hooks, it's not nearly as prolonged sludge that kept me away from them. Not to say I don't love Sludge Metal, but in the past I didn't get Kylesa's take on it. This time around they found their niche. I hope the new albums continue to go in this route.

6/10If you liked "Spiral Shadow", you really need to check out 2009's "Static Tensions" - it's a far superior album in my opinion. Having said this, I also liked "Spiral Shadow" a great deal, would rate it as their second best album to date, and would have given it much higher than a 6 (but that's just my opinion - I probably like sludge a lot more than you do).

24.) Bison B.C.- Dark Ages

Long gone are the days of these guys being refereed to as a Mastodon ripoff band. These guys have found their sound. Heavy, with tid bits of Thrash and Stoner. While the Mastodon Ripoff comments will never leave this band, Bison B.C. showcases that their style can not be fucked with, and only gets better with age.

8/10:confused: I had never thought of Bison as a Mastodon rip-off band. I've always told people they sound a lot like High on Fire, though (because to me they do). I also think Dark Ages is a pretty damn good album. :fist:

zgodt
12-01-2010, 07:47 AM
:confused: I had never thought of Bison as a Mastodon rip-off band.

Maybe it's the name. Large furry North American land mammal with a big head, with the B.C. thrown in to make it old. Is there a band called Woolly Mammoth, too?

In other news, I dig this thread. As a person woefully undereducated about the state of new metal releases in 2010, I can treat these lists like tasting menus.

NP: "Klagenstuck" by Judgment Day. :rocker:

powerslave_85
12-01-2010, 08:33 AM
This is a pretty cool twist on the year-end list thing. I dig it :metal:

Natrlhi
12-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Maybe it's the name. Large furry North American land mammal with a big head, with the B.C. thrown in to make it old.
:lol: Actually, the B.C. stands for Britich Columbia (which is where the band is based), which was added to distinguish them from another band(s) with the name "Bison".

Is there a band called Woolly Mammoth, too?No, but this is close:

http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d2/23451.jpg

Mumakil is the name of the beast pictured on the album cover - it's from the Lord of the Rings. It's also some damned good grindcore, too. ;) :fist:

Natrlhi
12-01-2010, 08:40 AM
NOTE TO MODS: Posts #4 and #5 are duplicates (probably accidental).

MPF
12-01-2010, 02:25 PM
If you liked "Spiral Shadow", you really need to check out 2009's "Static Tensions" - it's a far superior album in my opinion. Having said this, I also liked "Spiral Shadow" a great deal, would rate it as their second best album to date, and would have given it much higher than a 6 (but that's just my opinion - I probably like sludge a lot more than you do).

:confused: I had never thought of Bison as a Mastodon rip-off band. I've always told people they sound a lot like High on Fire, though (because to me they do). I also think Dark Ages is a pretty damn good album. :fist:

I really couldn't get into Static Tensions for some reason. I like Scapegoat, but the rest of the album didn't catch me. I will give it another shot soon. Maybe now that I'm into Spiral Shadow, I can't get back into it.

Anywhere else I go, anytime I bring up Bison B.C., they always claim they ripped off Mastodon. :confused: I don't get it either.

In other news, I dig this thread. As a person woefully undereducated about the state of new metal releases in 2010, I can treat these lists like tasting menus.

NP: "Klagenstuck" by Judgment Day. :rocker:

Thanks man. I'm glad you're digging Judgement Day. :rocker:

NOTE TO MODS: Posts #4 and #5 are duplicates (probably accidental).

Fixed...kinda.

Part 3 will be coming tonight after I watch the finale of Sons Of Anarchy.

MPF
12-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Part 3....The Next Part:

26.) Mutiny Within- Mutiny Within

I love these guys just as much as when I first discovered them back in January. The perfect blend of Modern Metal, Megadeth, and Dream Theater. Although it is sad to hear that Bill Fore is no longer drumming for the band which cost them touring for the rest fo this year *To some here, that is a good thing* I'll continue to support these guys. The only thing that does bug me about this album is the lack of endings. Over half the album ends in fades. Which is ok on a couple songs, but not over half the album. Other then that, I can't recommend this enough for a Prog Metal fan. If Mutiny Within is the future of Progressive Metal...we are in good hands.

9/10

27.) Hellish Crossfire- Bloodrust Scythe

This is the other great band carrying on the tradition of great Death *the band* inspired Metal. Pure Death Thrash, even more so then Hail of Bullets *as mentioned in post 1*. If you dig the early days of Death but with a sense of Classic Metal. This is one hell of an album to get. I understand they won't be big enough to tour the states anytime soon, but they kick so much ass, maybe if I can help rally these guys, they can afford a US tour.

8/10

28.) Coheed And Cambria- Year Of The Black Rainbow

I'll go on record saying this is my favorite album of C&C. Not to say the last two albums haven't been killer, but Year Of The Black Rainbow has all the right elements to me. More focused structure, killer drumming from one of my idols, Chris Pennie, and not nearly as annoying high pitched "Hey, I wanna be Geddy Lee" vocals. I'm still not sold on C&C as a whole, but now with their story being completed I'm now actually interested to where they go next.

7/10

29.) Alter Bridge- AB III

I'm the only one of my friends that can actually appreciate Alter Bridge. Creed fucking sucks, but Alter Bridge is fucking amazing! They never fail to impress me. AB III is easily their strongest album. Their heavy songs are perfect and their ballads bring out the right kind of emotion. I would give anything for Creed to be done completely just so 100% of their time can be focused to Alter Bridge. One of the best Hard Rock albums this year. If you want real Hard Rock, or if you want the musicians of Creed without the Douche, Scott Strapp, but this album!

8/10

30.) Malevolent Creation- Invidious Dominion

This is another band that, as much as I appreciate what they do and how they can play, I just never really got into. They are a legendary Death Metal band that always puts out solid releases. Just to me, they don't stand out much. Invidious Dominion is absolutely a solid album. but after a while it does start to feel all the same. But then again, Death Metal of their ear does do that from time to time. Overall, if you are a real Death metal fan, you'll probably dig this album a lot.

6/10

31.) Periphery- Periphery

Periphery, Love That Shit! One of my top 5 albums of the year. Every song kicks equally the same amount of ass. And while they get a lot of shit for being a Djent band, and even more so, the clean vocals from Spencer Sotelo; I find everything they do to be spot on and damn perfect. My only regret about Periphery is that they have yet to come here to tour. I hope that will change in 2011 when they support their new album and EP. Progressive Metal with tinges of Djent, Meshuggah, Dream Theater and Modern Metal, that's my kinda band!

10/10

32.) Ihsahn- After

I'm torn between After and one other album I have yet to review as my favorite album of 2010. It just may end up being after with how many spins I've given this album this year. Ihashn's best decision he ever made was to continue on solo. Not that I don't love Emperor, and consider them the greatest Black Metal band to ever exist. But After is easily the best album he's ever been apart of. Progressive, a tad bit Black Metal, Light, Heavy, Saxaphone...fuck, it's IHASHN!!! To anyone who has held back hearing this album. Buy this album NOW!!!

10/10

33.) The River Empires- The River Empires Volume 1 and 2

This double disc album is my favorite non-metal release of 2010. This album is easily not for everyone. Alternative Rock, meets Folk Rock and a tad bit of Post Rock. The River Empires is that refreshing band that needs to be heard in the midst of all the shit bands that they will get associated with that started around the same time they did. While they will be in the underground for a long time coming still, I hope they will get discovered more. They honestly deserve it.

9/10

34.) Averse- The Endesque Chants

Progressive Metal meets Orchestral movements, Partial Death Metal, and Post Rock/Metal. A good way to describe them is if Godspeed You! Black Emperor added singing and stared adding Metal to their resume. 3 of the 6 songs on this album are over 17 minutes long, 2 acoustic 3 minute songs, and *on this album, short* 6 minute Title track. This album has everything that a non-mainstream, but non-hipster music fan would want. This will be one of the best, but overlooked albums of the year. While it didn't fall on my top 20 list yet. With more listens. It just might.

8/10

35.) Abigail Williams- In The Absence Of Light

Holy fuck did these guys change. From overly Symphonic Black Metal to straight up Black Metal. Abigail Williams is finally the right kind of badass. They are also really cool guys to hang out with. *to anyone who read my review of Nevermore on Halloween, it turns out the band I was talking about was Abigail Williams and not Warbringer* If Emperor were to have continued on and got some good production for once, this is the album I would have imagined they made.

8/10

36.) Overkill- Ironbound

I dare say that this is the best Thrash Metal album of 2010. For once in my time of knowing Overkill, they got an album right from start to finish. Every song is just simply killer. Heavy, Thrashy, Relentless. Just everything you would want to hear in a Thrash Metal album. Bobby Blitz and company...you have made your materpiece!

9/10

37.) All That Remains- For We Are Many

As I've described before. This is the album all the teenage hipster Goth kids hanging out at the Attitude Bunny section of Hot Topic have been waiting for. I can't say that I'm disappointed in the album since I had a good feeling they were going this way ever since they got success from having Six on Guitar Hero II. It still is heavy, but then again Overcome was too and look what happened. Long gone are the days of Their early days and you can either embrace their more accessible, mainstream side, or blow them off. I'll do what I can to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I only can hold on for so long. *haha, see what I did there....cues the Fry from Futurama pic*

5/10

38.) Black Label Society- Order Of The Black

Without a shadow of a doubt that this is the best BLS album ever made. But alas, like A7X's Nightmare, it suffers from way too many ballads. The heavy songs do make up for it. Many early on considered this the album of 2010. They are not far off, at least in the Hard Rock world. Maybe Zakk needs to stay sober to keep up this great songwriting.

8/10

39.) Seven Kingdoms- Seven Kingdoms

Easily better in the studio then live. After seeing these guys last night. while their singer is a smoking hot chick, she has the mentality of a Miss USA pageant contestant. The other guys in the band are very skilled at what they do, although I do believe they had an off night last night. Maybe I should take that with a grain of Salt. The album however is actually pretty damn good. A good mix of Progressive and Power Metal. While there are better bands out there, These guys are worth checking out, and not just pictures of the lead singer.

6/10

40.) Acid Tiger- Acid Tiger

The Side project of Converge drummer, Ben Koller. This album can be described perfectly as if Converge started making 60's style Psychedelic and 70's Punk over Koller's mindblowing drumming. *Just check out the drum solo in Big Beat.* If your looking for a version of Converge that isn't nearly as hardcore insane as Converge, this is the album to get. All the awesomeness that is converge with a Bluesy Punk Metal tinge.

8/10

*That's it for now, I might do more later tonight, if not tomorrow.

idrinkwine732
12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
32.) Ihsahn- After[/B]

I'm torn between After and one other album I have yet to review as my favorite album of 2010. It just may end up being after with how many spins I've given this album this year. Ihashn's best decision he ever made was to continue on solo. Not that I don't love Emperor, and consider them the greatest Black Metal band to ever exist. But After is easily the best album he's ever been apart of. Progressive, a tad bit Black Metal, Light, Heavy, Saxaphone...fuck, it's IHASHN!!! To anyone who has held back hearing this album. Buy this album NOW!!!
[B]
10/10

I know what the other album is, and it's better ;)

MPF
12-01-2010, 06:37 PM
I know what the other album is, and it's better ;)

Haha. I'm having such a hard time deciding. Both are equal in my eyes right now. When it pops up in my shuffle and I review it, it just might end up as my favorite of the year.

jhdeity
12-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Part 3....The Next Part:

26.) Mutiny Within- Mutiny Within

I love these guys just as much as when I first discovered them back in January. The perfect blend of Modern Metal, Megadeth, and Dream Theater. Although it is sad to hear that Bill Fore is no longer drumming for the band which cost them touring for the rest fo this year *To some here, that is a good thing* I'll continue to support these guys. The only thing that does bug me about this album is the lack of endings. Over half the album ends in fades. Which is ok on a couple songs, but not over half the album. Other then that, I can't recommend this enough for a Prog Metal fan. If Mutiny Within is the future of Progressive Metal...we are in good hands.

9/10

27.) Hellish Crossfire- Bloodrust Scythe

This is the other great band carrying on the tradition of great Death *the band* inspired Metal. Pure Death Thrash, even more so then Hail of Bullets *as mentioned in post 1*. If you dig the early days of Death but with a sense of Classic Metal. This is one hell of an album to get. I understand they won't be big enough to tour the states anytime soon, but they kick so much ass, maybe if I can help rally these guys, they can afford a US tour.

8/10

28.) Coheed And Cambria- Year Of The Black Rainbow

I'll go on record saying this is my favorite album of C&C. Not to say the last two albums haven't been killer, but Year Of The Black Rainbow has all the right elements to me. More focused structure, killer drumming from one of my idols, Chris Pennie, and not nearly as annoying high pitched "Hey, I wanna be Geddy Lee" vocals. I'm still not sold on C&C as a whole, but now with their story being completed I'm now actually interested to where they go next.

7/10

29.) Alter Bridge- AB III

I'm the only one of my friends that can actually appreciate Alter Bridge. Creed fucking sucks, but Alter Bridge is fucking amazing! They never fail to impress me. AB III is easily their strongest album. Their heavy songs are perfect and their ballads bring out the right kind of emotion. I would give anything for Creed to be done completely just so 100% of their time can be focused to Alter Bridge. One of the best Hard Rock albums this year. If you want real Hard Rock, or if you want the musicians of Creed without the Douche, Scott Strapp, but this album!

8/10

30.) Malevolent Creation- Invidious Dominion

This is another band that, as much as I appreciate what they do and how they can play, I just never really got into. They are a legendary Death Metal band that always puts out solid releases. Just to me, they don't stand out much. Invidious Dominion is absolutely a solid album. but after a while it does start to feel all the same. But then again, Death Metal of their ear does do that from time to time. Overall, if you are a real Death metal fan, you'll probably dig this album a lot.

6/10

31.) Periphery- Periphery

Periphery, Love That Shit! One of my top 5 albums of the year. Every song kicks equally the same amount of ass. And while they get a lot of shit for being a Djent band, and even more so, the clean vocals from Spencer Sotelo; I find everything they do to be spot on and damn perfect. My only regret about Periphery is that they have yet to come here to tour. I hope that will change in 2011 when they support their new album and EP. Progressive Metal with tinges of Djent, Meshuggah, Dream Theater and Modern Metal, that's my kinda band!

10/10

32.) Ihsahn- After

10/10

33.) The River Empires- The River Empires Volume 1 and 2

This double disc album is my favorite non-metal release of 2010. This album is easily not for everyone. Alternative Rock, meets Folk Rock and a tad bit of Post Rock. The River Empires is that refreshing band that needs to be heard in the midst of all the shit bands that they will get associated with that started around the same time they did. While they will be in the underground for a long time coming still, I hope they will get discovered more. They honestly deserve it.

9/10

34.) Averse- The Endesque Chants

Progressive Metal meets Orchestral movements, Partial Death Metal, and Post Rock/Metal. A good way to describe them is if Godspeed You! Black Emperor added singing and stared adding Metal to their resume. 3 of the 6 songs on this album are over 17 minutes long, 2 acoustic 3 minute songs, and *on this album, short* 6 minute Title track. This album has everything that a non-mainstream, but non-hipster music fan would want. This will be one of the best, but overlooked albums of the year. While it didn't fall on my top 20 list yet. With more listens. It just might.

8/10

35.) Abigail Williams- In The Absence Of Light

Holy fuck did these guys change. From overly Symphonic Black Metal to straight up Black Metal. Abigail Williams is finally the right kind of badass. They are also really cool guys to hang out with. *to anyone who read my review of Nevermore on Halloween, it turns out the band I was talking about was Abigail Williams and not Warbringer* If Emperor were to have continued on and got some good production for once, this is the album I would have imagined they made.

8/10

36.) Overkill- Ironbound

I dare say that this is the best Thrash Metal album of 2010. For once in my time of knowing Overkill, they got an album right from start to finish. Every song is just simply killer. Heavy, Thrashy, Relentless. Just everything you would want to hear in a Thrash Metal album. Bobby Blitz and company...you have made your materpiece!

9/10

37.) All That Remains- For We Are Many

As I've described before. This is the album all the teenage hipster Goth kids hanging out at the Attitude Bunny section of Hot Topic have been waiting for. I can't say that I'm disappointed in the album since I had a good feeling they were going this way ever since they got success from having Six on Guitar Hero II. It still is heavy, but then again Overcome was too and look what happened. Long gone are the days of Their early days and you can either embrace their more accessible, mainstream side, or blow them off. I'll do what I can to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I only can hold on for so long. *haha, see what I did there....cues the Fry from Futurama pic*

5/10

38.) Black Label Society- Order Of The Black

Without a shadow of a doubt that this is the best BLS album ever made. But alas, like A7X's Nightmare, it suffers from way too many ballads. The heavy songs do make up for it. Many early on considered this the album of 2010. They are not far off, at least in the Hard Rock world. Maybe Zakk needs to stay sober to keep up this great songwriting.

8/10

39.) Seven Kingdoms- Seven Kingdoms

Easily better in the studio then live. After seeing these guys last night. while their singer is a smoking hot chick, she has the mentality of a Miss USA pageant contestant. The other guys in the band are very skilled at what they do, although I do believe they had an off night last night. Maybe I should take that with a grain of Salt. The album however is actually pretty damn good. A good mix of Progressive and Power Metal. While there are better bands out there, These guys are worth checking out, and not just pictures of the lead singer.

6/10

40.) Acid Tiger- Acid Tiger

The Side project of Converge drummer, Ben Koller. This album can be described perfectly as if Converge started making 60's style Psychedelic and 70's Punk over Koller's mindblowing drumming. *Just check out the drum solo in Big Beat.* If your looking for a version of Converge that isn't nearly as hardcore insane as Converge, this is the album to get. All the awesomeness that is converge with a Bluesy Punk Metal tinge.

8/10

*That's it for now, I might do more later tonight, if not tomorrow.

Damn Dude, this post might be my favorite of 2010. Cool thread overall and I can't disagree with anything you've said so far but this particular post is spot on. I'm not much of a BLS fan but can see why people like them, other than that I would agree totally with everything on here. I'd take Mutiny Within or Periphery over Avantasia anyday. Just my personal preference. And Hellish Crossfire might only be on a few lists this year but definitely belongs in the Top 20.

MPF
12-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks man. It's cool to see you are digging the thread so far. A lot of my favorite albums appeared on the last post.

I gotta agree with Hellish Crossfire as well. It will be dangerously underrated this year, but it is worthy of many top 20 lists.

idrinkwine732
12-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks man. It's cool to see you are digging the thread so far. A lot of my favorite albums appeared on the last post.

I gotta agree with Hellish Crossfire as well. It will be dangerously underrated this year, but it is worthy of many top 20 lists.

It is in an admirable space in my list, I think.

IrritatedTrout
12-02-2010, 05:04 AM
25.) Halford- Made of Metal[/B]

Wow, I didn't think this one would pop up so quick. Besides the greatest track Halford made in the last 20 years, The Mower. This is the shittiest album I've listen to in at least 2 years *that referring to music I like to listen to* I don't know what the hell Halford was thinking. Halford's solo albums used to be some of the most kickass music in Metal, now it's gone down the shitter with horrid 80's style glam rock tunes. Again, sans The Mower, avoid this album at all cost.

1/10 *again only because The Mower is a good song*

My thoughts exactly.

ADD
12-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Is there a band called Woolly Mammoth, too?

Duh! Way better than Bison BC too.

http://www.thedevilsdemons.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/wooly_mammoth.jpg

MPF
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I'll have to check these guys out. They sound like a great band.

MPF
12-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Part 4:

41.) Sevendust- Cold Dead Memory

Sevendust has that thing about them that either makes for a killer album or a shitty album. They kept it all killer and no filler on this album. They took all the best parts of what they are known for and converted it into 12 songs. It does make me feel bad they are have only been doing shitty tours lately, or headlining over shitty bands. These guys deserve so much more. Maybe sometime after the Music As A Weapon tour, they will get some killer tours going. This album deserved better promotion.

8/10

42.) Return To Earth- Automata

To anyone scared that drummer, Chris Pennie wouldn't never showcase his chops again can no longer worry. Return To earth covers all the bases of what Pennie is known for. Think of Return to Earth as the more Rock oriented version of Dillinger Escape Plan. Just as heavy and technical, not as much hardcore screaming. It is refreshing to hear an album so varied. It feels like this is the album Dillinger would have made if Chris Pennie was still in the band. Not to say Ire Works nor Option paralysis weren't stellar. Check this one out!

8/10

43.) Cee Lo Green- The Lady Killer

Say what you want about the guy, he did make one of the best singles, Fuck You, of any genre in 2010. I was originally going to avoid this album and play him off as a one hit wonder *which is still very possible will happen* but this album is absolutely amazing from start to finish. The rest of the album is nothing like Fuck You. It actually features....get this....real instruments! Something unheard of in today's non-rock mainstream music. Besides the single, this is a real Soul/Funk/R&B album, they way it should be done. I can appreciate any style of music that features real instrumentation and good songwriting. This album has that. If you can appreciate non-Rock music, please check this out. Coming from a Prog guy, that says a lot.

7/10

44.) White Wizzard- Over The Top

Another band of the resurgence of Classic Metal. And they do it damn well. Picking right up where Judas Priest left off. I have a good feeling White Wizzard will be a band that stays in the underground, unless they get picked up to open for Maiden or Priest i 2011, but their music is definitely a style that can appreciated by Metal fans young and old. PIck this one up if you aspire to relive the old days of Metal in 2010.

7/10

45.) In This Moment- A Star-Crossed Wasteland

I've always had a thing for this band since I first heard Daddy's Falling Angel. Besides Maria Brink being the hottest chick in Metal *don't even debate the issue,* She does have some killer Metal pipes when she wants to use them. The last album, The Dream was a huge letdown to me besides The Great Divide. A Star-Crossed Wasteland brings back The Metal of Beautiful Tragedy, and the accessibility of The Dream. Which I find to be a great mix. I do have a hard time getting into female fronted bands, it's not because of any sexism or anything like that. It's usually just because especially in the Gothic Metal scene, they are just their for eye candy and don't fit the mold of what style they are playing. In This Moment has both eye candy and great songs. Simple as that.

8/10

*This was a short one, heading out to band practice, I'll be back with more tonight*

jhdeity
12-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Part 4:

41.) Sevendust- Cold Dead Memory

Sevendust has that thing about them that either makes for a killer album or a shitty album. They kept it all killer and no filler on this album. They took all the best parts of what they are known for and converted it into 12 songs. It does make me feel bad they are have only been doing shitty tours lately, or headlining over shitty bands. These guys deserve so much more. Maybe sometime after the Music As A Weapon tour, they will get some killer tours going. This album deserved better promotion.
[B]
8/10

*This was a short one, heading out to band practice, I'll be back with more tonight*

It took 41 cd's for us to totally disagree. Not bad at all. I consider myself a HUGE 7dust fan and I personally hate the whiny and wimpy turn they've taken. The lyrics to Unraveling are polar opposite to the lyrics of Face to Face, their best song in my not-so-humble opinion. It's all about him being heartbroken and not being able to cope. I remember seeing them live and so many girls were singing along to that horrific song then they just stood there baffled during Face to Face. That spoke volumes to me. I like maybe 2 songs off eacjh of their last 2 cd's. They've gone way commercial and I'm done buying their cd's. Will definitely see them live though.

MPF
12-02-2010, 06:38 PM
It took 41 cd's for us to totally disagree. Not bad at all. I consider myself a HUGE 7dust fan and I personally hate the whiny and wimpy turn they've taken. The lyrics to Unraveling are polar opposite to the lyrics of Face to Face, their best song in my not-so-humble opinion. It's all about him being heartbroken and not being able to cope. I remember seeing them live and so many girls were singing along to that horrific song then they just stood there baffled during Face to Face. That spoke volumes to me. I like maybe 2 songs off eacjh of their last 2 cd's. They've gone way commercial and I'm done buying their cd's. Will definitely see them live though.

That is the one thing with me. Lyrics and vocals rarely make me like or hate a band. I always pay attention to the music going on more then anything. I listen to Unraveling a lot and I bet you anything I couldn't have told you what the song was about until you mentioned it.

Splinter for example, that song is heavy as fuck. And I do not know the lyrics to the song besides the "You Think You Killed Me" line in the chorus but the riffs to that song are just badass, and make up for any whinyness Lajon is pulling off now.

But like I said, that's just me.

Part 5 will be coming up tonight at some point.

jhdeity
12-02-2010, 10:16 PM
That is the one thing with me. Lyrics and vocals rarely make me like or hate a band. I always pay attention to the music going on more then anything. I listen to Unraveling a lot and I bet you anything I couldn't have told you what the song was about until you mentioned it.

Splinter for example, that song is heavy as fuck. And I do not know the lyrics to the song besides the "You Think You Killed Me" line in the chorus but the riffs to that song are just badass, and make up for any whinyness Lajon is pulling off now.

But like I said, that's just me.

Part 5 will be coming up tonight at some point.

Yeah I think what got me also was in interviews they raved about how heavy this cd was going to be and how with Clint back they were getting back to their old style. At 1st listen it was way more like the last cd than Alpha or Seasons so I wrote it off immediately. I agree Splinter rocks and so does Inside from teh previous album. I just wish both had more songs like that. This one had a few chunkier riffs I'll give it that.

It's funny when I saw Chris Pennie I had to do a double take because I'm good friends with Chris Pernia from Pessimist and he was telling me about some new side project he was working on. I was hoping that was him.

MPF
12-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah I think what got me also was in interviews they raved about how heavy this cd was going to be and how with Clint back they were getting back to their old style. At 1st listen it was way more like the last cd than Alpha or Seasons so I wrote it off immediately. I agree Splinter rocks and so does Inside from teh previous album. I just wish both had more songs like that. This one had a few chunkier riffs I'll give it that.

It's funny when I saw Chris Pennie I had to do a double take because I'm good friends with Chris Pernia from Pessimist and he was telling me about some new side project he was working on. I was hoping that was him.

That I do gotta agree with. They haven't been the same since Seasons. And I must agree Face To Face is one of, if not their best song. I guess without listening to FM radio much anymore I don't realize the mainstream much anymore. The more I look into it the more I do see Sevendust apart of it.

I didn't know Chris Pernia had a new project. I'll have to keep my open for that.

MPF
12-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Part 5:

46.) Levi/Werstler- Avalanche Of Worms

Instrumental Progressive Metal featuring members of Daath and Sen Reinhert of Cynic. Now that's a great combination! This is a phenomenal instrumental album. It has so many dynamics and emotions covered throughout. While Levi and Werstler are both of the band Daath, this is so much better. Reinhert is mindblowing on this album. It is always a pleasure to hear him drum. From the looks of it this may be just a one time studio only band, but if that is the case, they really did put their heart and soul into probably the best album they will be apart of *excluding Reinhert who only gets better with age*.

9/10

47.) Oceansize- Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up

Oceansize has always been a band to me that can stay Alternative/Progressive Rock, and never get boring. The new album proves that. The album explodes from Heavy almost metal tunes to slow ballady post rock, and all things in between. The one complaint I do got to give about Oceansize is that they have yet to make their masterpiece. They always get so close, but never quite get past the bar. I still have hope for these guys to accomplish that...also to tour the US once again. For something completely different, check this album out!

8/10

48.) Atheist- Jupiter

Had this album featured Tony Choy's bass playing, and what was suppose to include a cover of Rush's YYZ, this would have been in my top 3 of 2010. The lack of those two things made this album drop quite a lot. That's not to say this isn't a great album. But it does lack a lot. Production wise, picture ...And Justice For All, if it was made in 2010...very little bass. Everything else on the album is stellar, especially Steve Flynn's superior drumming. Regardless, This will probably end up in the upper half of my list, but sadly, not very far. I got my hopes way too high up.

6/10

49.) Nachtmystium- Addicts Black Meddle Pt II

One of the most fucked up albums, in a good way, of 2010. Psychedelic Black Metal. Whenever it gets super heavy, it gets super poppy. They have always been known to push the envelope genre wise, and this album is no different. Nachtmystium is one of those bands that I've always dug, but never quite invested enough time into. This album changed that and I really do love them now because of it. I hope they keep going "out there" with their future releases. It's what they do best.

9/10

50.) Triptykon- Eparistera Daimones

One of the best Extreme Metal albums ever put out. Tom G. Warrior put out his best work this year with Eparistera Daimones. Every song hits a different spot in the term of the genre Extreme Metal. A Thousand Lies wins the award for the most Brutal song ever created. There's not much else that needs to be said other then if you want pure Evil Metal, get this album!!!

10/10

51.) Flotsam And Jetsam- The Cold

Oddly enough this album was released on Head's *Ex Korn guitarist* album label. But it doesn't make the album any less heavy or thrashy. I do consider The Cold to be standard Flotsam And Jetsam without deviating from the norm. Fast songs, heavy songs, a ballad or two, the hit single that never made it onto radio, etc. But all while having a Modern sound to it. Fans of Classic Thrash will appreciate this album. Nothing extraordinary on it, but a great listen none the less.

6/10

52.) Jeremy Messersmith- The Reluctant Graveyard

Those longing for the sounds of 60's pop music made in 2010, this is your album. Jeremy Messersmith is a local Twin Cities musician that really captured my attention this year. While this album that that distinct classic Pop/Rock sound from yesteryear, there is that tinge of darkness surrounding the album which makes for some great storytelling. Those will to take a chance with some poppier, but enjoyable pop rock. Get this album. Again, coming from a Prog guy, that says a lot.

8/10

53.) Haken- Aquarius

Haha, in speaking of Prog. This has gotta be one of the most refreshing Progressive Metal albums I have heard in a LONG time. Prog that is not ripping of Dream Theater nor Meshuggah at every chance. They take everything good from every Prog and Metal and a damn near perfect Progressive Metal album. While the stereotypes of Prog are all over this album, that is in no way a bad thing. When these guys make their 2nd album, that will be be the day people may just start saying Dream Who?

9/10

54.) Pain Of Salvation- Road Salt (Part One)

This is the most frustrating album for me this year. I want to like it, but it is so damn different, in a ripoff way. Pain Of Salvation was the underground's underground Progressive Metal band, that went. Then they made Scarsick, while I still dig that album is completely out there in making Modern Metal. Road Salt on the other hand...it's Led Zepplin to a T. I really want to believe Road Salt Part Two will have a bit more creativity left, but this album made me reinforced my theory that every band has a point in their career where they peak. If you dig classic Rock, get this album, but if you were a fan of POS's old days, you'll either love or hate this album. I'm still torn.

5/10

55.) Zach Hill- Face Tat

Replace the phrases, Pain Of Salvation, Progressive Metal, and Classic Rock; with Zach Hill, Math Rock, and you can almost make the same argument. Zach Hill is still the most insane single bass/single pedal drummer out there, but this album is so damn simple I could play along with it the first time I heard it. I don't want that from Zach Hill. The songs are actually pretty good, unlike Road Salt, but still very disappointing, but again, you can make the argument that every artist has to change to stay fresh. I guess this is Zach Hill's take on that.

6/10

56.) Emanuel And The Fear- Listen

Another one of the Alternative/Folk Rock bands that I discovered this year. These guys wrote 19 completely different songs on this album and a damn good job of it as well. Believe it or not, Jeff Gretz, drummer of the band ZAO, is the drummer of Emanuel And The Fear. Everyone has to have their different outlets. There are some minor production problems with this album. One example is when you can hear the vocalists swallow between lyrics in some songs, which does get a tad annoying if you're paying attention to it. But regardless, this is one of the best alternative albums of the year. The River Empires still wins for me as the best, but this takes the silver medal.

8/10

57.) Disturbed- Asylum

I'll never be completely sold on Disturbed, but I do gotta admit, their ability as musicians and songwriters only get better and better. While I do agree with others who have said this album does feel like one long song, but to me, it's a better song then OHHH WAHH AHHAHH AHHHHH. As least they are trying to keep somewhat every and rockin. Which can't be said of a lot of hard rock bands now a days.

6/10

58.) Dillinger Escape Plan- Option Paralysis

Without a doubt, this is their magnum opus. They did it right with this album. The perfect blend of what they are known for made in one album. The only regret about this album is that Chris Pennie is not apart of the band while they achieved their possible highest peak. I am very curious to see where DEP will go from here. But as of now, bask in their glory of Option Paralysis. They earned it.

10/10

59.) 65daysofstatic- We Were Exploding Anyway

Another band that completely changed their sound, except in the case, maybe for the worst. What made me really dig these guys with the mix of Post Rock and Electronica. All the Post Rock is completely gone from these guys. While if I was into Electronic, these guys would be my favorite band. But alas, I'm really not. It's the same reason I can't stand Muse anymore. This will probably get them bigger exposure, but for me, they lost me.

4/10

60.) Bad Religion- The Dissent Of Man

I was shocked by the amount of hate for the last album, New Maps Of Hell. To me, that is their best album. it was almost hardcore punk and Heavy metal. The Dissent Of Man goes back to the classic days of Bad Religion. Bad Religion is by far my favorite punk band, so I'm not disappointed at all. They keep the spirit alive that Punk music is not bands like Blink 182 or Simple Plan, and that those bands sucks! The Dissent Of Man is a phenomenal album that while poppier then New Maps Of Hell, it's very refreshing and awesome all the way through.

9/10

*Not too many albums left, check out part 6 coming within 24 hours*

MPF
12-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Part 6:

61.) Weezer- Hurley

Ever since Maldroit. Weezer has been defied by their "shit, good shit, good, shit, good, style of album making. Raditude was one of the shittiest albums of last year. Hurley is definitely a better album. It still pretty damn poppy for my taste, but its a step in the right direction. I am one of "those guys" hoping Weezer would go back to making Rock albums. I understand those days are long gone, but I'll keep hoping for it. In the mean time, this will tide me over.

6/10

62.) Shining- Blackjazz

The most fucked up album of 2010 by far. I love it so much. The album title says it all. It is Back Metal and Jazz. Every song is just as fucked up as the next in some way shape or form, but I wouldn't have it any other way. If these guys ever get big enough to tour the states, I don't care where, I'll be there front row center to see them.

10/10

63.) Raunchy- A Discord Electric

Give me shit all you want, I love Raunchy. Ever since I heard Insane on a local Metal show. The one thing that always caught my attention about these guys is there sense of making awesome chunky guitar riffs and sensible pop hooks all in the same song. Something that bands like Attack Attack! and Brokencyde decided to rape and mutilate in the shittiest way. Because of that Raunchy will never get taken seriously *if they couldn't already because of the band name*. The new album is what I feel to be a continuation of the last two albums. Not necessarily bad, but nothing groundbreaking at all. Just average. If you've never checked out Raunchy before, this may be a good album t start off with, if you skipped the last album, you might as well skip this one as well.

5/10

64.) Allen-Lande- The Showdown

What can I say. It's an all-star album of Symphonic Progressive Power Metal. So of course it is cheesy as all hell. But being a prog fan, that's what I expect and love. The album overall has a very 80's Metal feel to it, but in a good way. While the album is not ground breaking, it has a lot of great memorable riffs and and very cool songs. For fans of this genre, it is a must have.

8/10

65.) Armored Saint- La Raza

This was not the album I was expecting to be the return of one of the best Metal bands of the 80s. It may be because I somewhat overlooked this album, but the album doesn't really stand out too much. Overall, it's really average. Which is sad considering this is John Bush's gig now. If they make a new album I'll have better hopes for it. But for La Raza, to me, it's album I gotta be in the right mood to listen to.

5/10

66.) Volbeat- Beyond Hell/Above Heaven

One of the best bands going today of their genre. Every album they put out gets better and better. While they do stick to their formula, it's a great formula. The addition of guest appearances of members of Napalm Death and Kreator is also a nice choice. Check this one out. Groove Metal to a T.

8/10

67.) GWAR- Bloody Pit Of Horror

I will go on record saying Lust In Space is one of, if not the best GWAR album made. And I'm pretty sure I'm one of the 7 people who will ever say that. Bloody Pit Of Horror is absolutely the counter opposite of Lust In Space. And that is a good thing. This is way more Thrashy and Punkish. at 37 minutes, this is a short album, but any longer may be pushing too much. This is one that can be played over and over again and not feel old.

8/10

68.) Bullet For My Valentine- Fever

They lost me completely. Scream Aim Fire was going on such a great track, then they decided to be commercial again. I'm very let down by the album. Musically it is cool, but the lyrics are so god damn whiny. It really makes their goal to be an Emo band that much closer. Oh well, they could have been a great band, but hey as Devin Townsend said on the Punky Bruster album: "This Punk Rock scene is shit, but there's money to be made. So let's milk it!!!"

3/10

69.) Brain Drill- Quantum Catastrophe

Brutal Death metal to the absolute extreme. it does get a bit overbearing after a while, but in small doses, this is a great album. I haven't seen them live, but I would really hope they can pull shit shit off in a live setting.

7/10

70.) Deftones- Diamond Eyes

Best album since White Pony. Which honestly doesn't say a lot. But this album has improved the band in so many ways. The last two albums sucked bad. This is a real return to form, while being completely different. I really hope they can keep this momentum going on their next album.

8/10

71.) Arsis- Starve For The Devil

Probably the most startling change of 2010 for me. From being one of the most technical Death Metal bands to being the American version of Children Of Bodom. While not a bad thing, I understand how long time hans will be greatly disappointed by this album. I however loved We Are The Nightmare and Starve For The Devil equally. Two completely different albums but just as Metal. I respect Arsis's choice to go a bit Thrashier instead of Technical Death Metal. It made for some quality song writing and overall, dare I say, a fun album.

9/10

72.) Intronaut- Valley Of Smoke

Without question Intronaut's best album. It's their Proggiest yet and damn it, it's amazing. They made the right choice going in this direction. They've showcased everything they are about in 8 beautiful, yet Metal songs.I hope Valley Of Smoke will give Intronaut the recognition they absolutely deserve.

10/10

73.) Star One- Victims Of The Modern Age

It's Arjen. What else do you need? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad by the fact that Ayreon may never return, but if he keeps making the quality of albums Victims Of The Modern Age is, I will be forever happy. Heavy, Proggy, not as cheesy. Damn it's awesome!

9/10

74.) Spock's Beard- X

People have been saying for years that without Neal More in the band that Spock's Beard might as well hang it up. For a while I was almost in that same boat. Then my mind became clear with X. This is dare I say their best album the band has ever produced. they really put it all on the line for this album. It tears me up inside Spock's Beard can't even afford to tour behind this album. It is so damn good. Prog Rock fans have no idea what they are missing if they don't pick up X. One of the best Prog Rock albums in the last decade, and without question the best Prog Rock of the year.

10/10

75.) Soilwork- The Panic Broadcast

It's been a long time coming for Soilwork to make good music again. This album has that in every track. Easily their best album since Figure Number 5. While they mainstream songs are still there, their other tracks are more brutal then their early material, which is fucking awesome. I hope they phase out the mainstream songs and come back to the dark side, it is what they are best at.

8/10

*Part 7 will most likely be the last part. Stay tuned!

BloodoftheKings
12-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I will go on record saying Lust In Space is one of, if not the best GWAR album made. And I'm pretty sure I'm one of the 7 people who will ever say that.

I never understood all the hate on Lust in Space. Most Gwar fans like it but the die hard bohabs who think This Toilet Earth-Carnival of Chaos is their best material always bash that album. I still wouldn't say it's their best though, i'd say it's probably my 4th favorite.

MPF
12-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I never understood all the hate on Lust in Space. Most Gwar fans like it but the die hard bohabs who think This Toilet Earth-Carnival of Chaos is their best material always bash that album. I still wouldn't say it's their best though, i'd say it's probably my 4th favorite.

Yeah I've noticed that a lot whenever I try to talk GWAR with anyone. Lust in Space is the only GWAR album that every song clicked with me right away. Every other album has had at least 1-2 songs that I didn't initally like, that I eventually loved.

jhdeity
12-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Glad to see Blackjazz getting some love. Definitely going to me in my Top 15, probably Top 10.

MPF
12-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Blackjazz is an amazing album. Totally changed my outlook of the year.

Part 7 will be up tonight.

MPF
12-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Part 7, I'm on a roll and will finish everything off in this last part:

76.) Elvenking- Red Silent Tides

Power Folk Metal at it's best. Elvenking was one of the first Folk Metal bands that I ever got into. they have always impressed me a lot. Even if their music is a bit cheesier due to the Power Metal elements. Red Silent Tides is a lot more of the same that I expect from Elvenking. I'm ok with that. It's right on par with the rest of their discography. It would be cool to see them venture off into new Territory, but then again, This album is pretty damn rockin'. Check this one out if you dig Power Metal with Folk elements.

7/10

77.) 1349- Demonior

The year of the black plague is at it again. One of the few Black metal bands that I really dig. 1349 has always that that style of Black Metal that isn't the stereotypical constant blast beats over an orchestra. They keep Demonior true to the dark lord. Evil, Thrashy, and Black Metal. While not the standout Black album of the year *that still goes to Watain, despite what dongs they are.* This is one of the best of the year. I would love to see them live some day.

7/10

78.) Iron Maiden- The Final Frontier

A lot of people are not sure what to think of this album. Is it good? Is it shit? is it meh...ok? I do consider The Final Frontier to be a sort of a return to their old style, while keeping the 00's version of themselves. While a lot of the songs are reminiscent of the Dance of Death/A Matter Of Life And Death era, my first Maiden album was Dance Of Death, so that is not a bad thing. It has the catchyness of the old days. As for me. I guess I should give it more of a chance, but to me it just didn't have the staying power I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, I love every track. But something about it makes me want to listen to a different album about half way through. In small doses, a few tracks at a time. This is a great album. But when on a full album spin, you may get bored.

6/10

79.) Cloudkicker- Beacons

One of my favorite discoveries of 2010. Cloudkicker is Instrumental Progressive Metal with hints of Meshuggah and Post Rock/Metal scattered throughout. This one man project is strictly just for making music. That is sad considering he does not want to do any touring. But he always puts out quality Metal that I enjoy and jam along to. Beacons is some of his finest work. You can hear it in every song. If you enjoy quality instrumental songwriting, you need to get Beacons. This album will blow your mind.

9/10

80.) Maserati- Pyramid Of The Sun

I sadly got into these guys way too late. Last year drummer, Jerry Fuchs, died jumping out of a broken elevator and missed the platform he was trying to jump onto. Fuchs is a fucking amazing drummer *Youtube him*. Maserati is a band a lot like 65daysofstatic, where they add Post Rock with a bit of Electronica and Space Rock. But unlike 65daysofstatic, they are still making rock music. Pyramids Of The Sun is the last album to feature Fuchs on drums. While it's not his best work, he is very solid and profound. I'm sure he was still alive it would have made the album that much bigger and better, but alas, this one, while still a very cool and fun listen, is a bit average to me. But it is a great sendoff to one of the best drummers who will forever be of the underground Post Rock scene.

6/10

81.) As I Lay Dying- The Powerless Rise

These guys really confuse the hell out of me. Every time I think they get better, they always have to add something to their album that really pisses me off. This time it is the Hot Topic style Emo Clean Vocals. While musically this is their best work, the clean vocals make it unbearable for me. Luckily, it is not the prominent on the album. Like Bullet For My Valentine in posts above, Badass instrumentally, Clean Emo vocals, but unlike BFMV, very quality growls and screams. Check this one out if you want to hear the best of As I Lay Dying, sans vocals.

6/10

82.) After The Burial- In Dreams

I had no idea 3 years ago when I opened for After the Burial that they would be come so damn huge. One of the few Twin Cities bands to make it in Metal. Very Proggy Metalcore with tinges of Technical Death metal and a bit of Deathcore. After The Burial is one of the few bands that can be attached to breakdowns that doesn't piss me off. They use them effectively. In Dream really showcases how musically badass they have become. Very Melodic in spots, but technical in others. In a way that can described as BTBAM without the long songs. If you have not given them a chance I highly suggest you do. This is not your stereotypical 00's Metal band. They are so much more.

9/10

83.) Enslaved- Axioma Ethica Odini

Black Metal with the Viking Spirit and Prog all over. Enslaved have created another masterpiece. This is my favorite album from Enslaved so far. Every track captures you in a way the previous track did not. it is such a shame they opened for Dimmu Borgir in the States, they deserve their own headlining tour. Axioma Ethica Odini is easily one of the best albums of the year. Buy this album now. Maybe with enough support, we can get them to headline the States in 2011?

10/10

84.) Wrath And Rapture- Wrath And Rapture

One of the last bands I discovered before I canceled my subscription to Satellite Radio. These guys are exactly what I want my band, Shattered, to be, in a different context. They are rooted in Metal, but expand to almost every sub-genre of Metal you can think of *again, think BTBAM*. While they still need to perfect their style, I'm sure they can get that done on their next album. This debut album is simply stunning.

7/10

85.) James LaBrie- Static Impulse

My 2nd or 3rd Favorite album of the year. When you listen to the song, Who You Think I Am, the title easily describes this album. This album is proggy like Dream Theater, but fucking heavy like Melodic Swedish Death Metal. The Screams and Drums provided by Peter Wildoer is my favorite drumming performance of 2010. it really makes me sad Wildoer didn't land the gig in DT, he fucking deserves it! But back to SI, This album is so damn catchy while being brutal and Proggy. Anyone who thinks James LaBrie is/was the weakest point in DT really needs to listen to this album and be proven wrong. I'll give anything for him to do a solo tour in 2011.

10/10

86.) The Sword- Warp Riders

My Favorite Rock album of 2010. The Sword got it right on this album. While many people will say the first 2 albums are better, and they very well could be right. The Production kills it for me. Warp Riders finally got the production The Sword deserves. Also they did switch their style a bit from the last two albums, going into a more Progressive Rock mixed with Metallica- Ride The Lightning Riffs and traces of Thin Lizzy all over. A guy like me dreams for this kind of album every year. I finally got it!

10/10

87.) The Roots- How I Got Over

My favorite Hip-Hop band is back again. While many people only know these guys from being the house band on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. I've known these guys for almost a decade now and loved everything they produced. I've said it before that I only really appreciate music that uses real musicians using real instruments. The Roots is exactly that. It doesn't matter if they are Hip-Hop, they write killer music. How I Got Over is the next chapter of their legacy. Don't be the narrow-minded listener who won't give this a chance. At least listen to a few songs before you completely diss on it. I've said it many times in these reviews, as a Prog guy, I love this album!

8/10

88.) Jimmy Gnecco- the Heart

The singer of an amazing band called Ours *Think Dredg* This is a mainly acoustic based album featuring amazing vocals by Gnecco. While this is not a album I spin on a regular basis *or much since I got it and spinned the hell out of it* Upon re-listening I remember everything that was awesome about this album. Don't expect anything really rockin' on this one. this one is more from the Heart *See what I did there?*

7/10

89.) Howl- Full Of Hell

Sludge Metal without question. It has a very Doom Metal vibe along with it. One way to describe these guys is if Candlemass had early Mastodon style vocals. This album is a really cool listen on the first spin, but after that it either becomes amazing, or repetitive. It is one of the better Sludge Metal albums to come out this year, but still, it feels average to me. Cool, but more of the same from Sludge Metal.

6/10

90.) Powerglove- Saturday Morning Apocalypse

Ever since I found out about these guys, I've been hooked. A lot of people write these guys off as a novelty band, playing Progressive Power Metal covers of video games. While yes, they are in some ways novelty, their musicianship more then makes up for it. 4 of the best musicians I've seen come out of the 00's. This album does not go into the video game world, but rather their favorite cartoons and animation. Which as a kid who roughly grew up around the same time they did watching the same shows/movies, this album is pure nostalgia to me. If these guys ever write an original album, they will become one of the biggest bands in the world. Mark my words!

8/10

91.) Anathema- We're Here Because We're Here

Steven Wilson had his hand on this album as well with mixing. Long gone are the days of the Metal side of Anathema, sticking with what they are known for, being alternative and almost progish, rock This is another album that just didn't capture my interest the way I was hoping for. While the quality of the songs are great, it just doesn't get the right vibe from me. I always try with Anathema, but this time, it just feels more of the same. Almost, dare I say too mellow? But I should expect no less. In the right mood, this is the right album, otherwise, I gotta look for something else.

5/10

92.) Boris With Ian Astbury- BXI

I shit you not, this is the first EP that has popped up in my randomization. This was original my "Most Fucked Up Pairing" of 2010. But when listening to the album. The pairing feels natural. I'd much rather hear Ian Astbury utilize this style of music, compared to what The Cult has become *Let's face it...shit* This fells so fresh, even if it only 4 songs. When *or if* I do my lists of 2010 I'll have my own list for EPs, and this one *while there is not many EPs this year* is very high up on that list. Please check this one out. It is so damn worth it.

9/10

93.) Menomena- Mines

Another album of the non-Metal variety. This is one of the poppiest, alternative albums I got this year. While it is not in my usual list of bands I listen to, Whenever this one pops up I always gotta listen. It is quality songwriting and very well orchestrated. I can't say its one of the best albums of the year. But if you're a Metal fan who wants to try something different of the Poppy Alternative Rock kind, try out Mines. it's a great listen.

6/10

94.) Torche- Songs For Singles

This EP title could not be more right. 6 of the best Torche songs ever written. Yes they have become less Sludgy over the years and a bit more mainstream, there's nothing wrong about that. Face The Wall is one of my top 5 favorite songs of 2010. While this is the shortest collection of music I have of 2010 *21 minutes* it in no way takes away from the fact that it is the most solid 21 minutes of music that came out out this year.

10/10

95.) High On Fire- Snakes For The Divine

Formed from the ashes of Sleep. High On Fire has become a band that has done something that is almost impossible for the average music fan to say. They are better then their predecessor. Snakes For The Divine, is what I feel to be their best work. I love every song. Matt Pike is really on top of his game right now. The only thing sad about this album is the lack of Praise. Some people out there love the album, but others I see no love for, which I find fucked up. But anyways, If you want to hear High On Fire's best album, pick this one up now!

9/10

96.)The Ocean- Anthropocentric

The Ocean has become a band that I wanted to ignore to a band I can't go on without listening to. Their style has changed so much for the better. Anthropocentric is one of the two parts of 2010 that proves this. Anthropocentric is the right combination of Post and Progressive Metal picking up where Heliocentric *see next review*. It's another sad case that they are not big enough to tour here often, if at all, but I'll will support them as much as I can.

8/10

97.) The Ocean- Heliocentric

*I swear that I did not make these two reviews next to each other on purpose. This is how it turned out. Had I wanted them to be together I would have made them in one review or put this one first*

Heliocentric is the more Orchestrated Post Progressive Metal album that The Ocean released this year. While both albums are killer. I tend to like Heliocentric just a tad more for this reason. The whole concept behind both albums is very cool. And music does not suffer from any preaching from either side of the issue expressed. Case in point, This is like it's aforementioned part 2, are simply amazing and need to be checked out!

8/10

98.) Mastodon- Jonah Hex- Revenge Gets Ugly

While initially I liked the idea of what Mastodon was doing, I find this EP to be extremely lacking. It is way too Droney for my taste and goes nowhere *unlike in Post Rock/Metal*. I suppose if I had watched the movie, maybe I'd appreciate the music more, but that's not the case *it looked so shitty*. This is definitely at the bottom of Mastodon's discography. Since it was made squarely for this movie, I'm going to let it slide and pretend this is music inspired by Mastodon and hope the next full length album will be kicking my ass very soon.

3/10

99.) Story Of The Year- The Constant

*Another "Haters Gonna Hate" review* I've always liked Story Of The Year. They do the right kind of Alternative Metal that doesn't suck. But this album like every album they have put out suffers from the same problem. Starts off awesome, ends awesome, in the middle gets very boring. Story Of The Year is like Oceansize, in the sense that they get so close to writing a masterpiece but sadly will probably never get there. Give this one a chance, because it is worth listening to. But don't write it off as it sucks before you give it a chance.

6/10

100.) In Vain- Mantra

One of my bigger letdowns of 2010. These guys' debut album, The Latter Vain is phenomenal. The perfect blend of Progressive and Black Metal. But Mantra just doesn't live up. I will say once again this may be because of repeated listens to the first album and not as much of Mantra, but at the same time, If it had caught my interest the way The Latter Vain did, it would have received those additional plays. It is still a worthy album to have, but The Latter Vain is so much better.

5/10

101.) Mouth Of The Architect- The Violence Beneath

This 4 track EP is fucking mindblowing. Progressive Post Metal. These guys improve with every album with ease and while not a full album, I dare say is their best work. The first 3 songs are their original works, but the song that impresses me the most is their cover of Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes *Played at about 1/4th the speed*. there is so much emotion in this version that I just can't get over. I will say I was about to tear up the first time I heard it. It fit the mood for some stuff going on in my life. Check these guys out as soon as possible, they need to be so much bigger then what they are right now.

10/10

102.) Agalloch- Marrow Of The Spirit

Right now it's currently tied between this and Ihashn's After as my favorite album of 2010. *Really making this list into a top 20 is going to really suck*. Folk Metal mixed with Black, Acoustic and Post Rock/Metal. Agalloch is one of those bands that is impossible to make a masterpiece. That is exactly what Marrow Of The Spirit is. This really is the type of album that a review will give it no justice. Let the music do the talking on this one.

10/10

103.) Alcest- Ecailles De Lune

This one has to be in top 5, if not higher. No questions asked. Alcest is my favorite discovery of this year and my life has been changed ever since.Post Metal mixed with Black Metal in perfect harmony. This album has it all and then some. The Most Beautiful Metal written in 2010. There's no other way to describe it.

10/10

104.) Forbidden- Omega Wave

One of the most underrated Thrash bands ever. Omega Wave carries on what the Thrash bands of yesteryear are continuing to do. Keeping it real! One of the best Thrash albums to come out this year. While I will not say the best Thrash Album, it is very close. Give Forbidden the love they deserve. buy this album!

8/10

105.) Demians- Mute

Demian's Building An Empire is one of my favorite Prog album. Mute is a bit more on the Alternative/Post side of Prog, but in lo way is it a let down. The quality of the songwriting is as top-notch as the debut album. I guess a way you can describe this album is a mix of Porcupine Tree, Dredg, and Thrice. Demians, again is another band that can't afford to tour the States, so I gotta do my part to support the band. If you enjoy your Prog to be Melodic and beautiful, pick up Mute. You'll be glad you did!

9/10

106.) Blind Guardian- At The Edge Of Time

The best Power Metal album of 2010, if not the last decade. Every song is perfect. Live, the songs come off even better. It was well worth the wait for this one. Hansi and Co. can do no wrong. Seeing Blind Guardian was a life changing experience for me. I'm hooked for life, if I wasn't already. At The Edge of Time is in my top 10 of 2010 *I'm not sure where yet*. But I will say your album had to really fucking impress me to beat At The Edge of Time.

10/10

107.) Borknagar- Universal

I never checked out these guys until this year, but I really dig what they do. It's progressive Rock that all of a sudden turns Black Metal on the turn of a dime. Of all Black Metal I must say they have the best clean vocals. Which makes this album very high on the more extreme Metal albums of this year. While I still need a few more listens to fully digest these guys. It is killer shit!

8/10

108.) The Crinn- Dreaming Saturn

Another band that I opened for that I had no idea would become huge. They are currently signed to Nuclear Blast Records. Pretty big for a Twin Cities band I must say. These guys I say are a better version of Dillinger Escape Plan if DEP turned more Proggy then Poppy. It's great to see a band like The Crinn kicking ass. This album really showcases what I witnessed opening for them.

8/10

109.) Alter Of Plagues- Tides

Of all the 2 song EPs I bought this year...this is the best. Ok, it's the only 2 song EP I have bought this year. But it is still very badass. Somewhat like Alcest and Agalloch, Alter Of Plagues makes very beautiful Post Black Metal. Both songs are over the 15 minute mark. But neither feels like it drags on. I hope in 2011, they will put out a full album. I really want to see them on tour.

7/10

110.) Cynic- Re-Traced

The last EP on the list *Second to last review overall*. Cynic really went out of their element on this EP, but it was the right thing to do. Acoustic version of Integral, Alternative Rock Version of Evolutionary, Electronic version of Space, Smooth Jazz/Electronica version of King, and the Traced In Air B-Side, Wheels Within Wheels. This EP, while again short, is one that you can listen to over and over again. Cynic only writes the best music. This EP proves even redoing your last album can do no wrong.

10/10

111.) Nevermore- The Obsidian Conspiracy

Funny how this is the last album. People either love this album to death or hate it. I for one love it, and find it refreshing they've shaken things up a bit. There's nothing wrong with making things a bit more accessible. Don't get me wrong I hope the next album will be a return to form, but right now, the Obsidian Conspiracy was the right album to make. Now lets do what Warrell Dane has said about Emptiness Unobstructed and make it a sell out song that will get them on the radio!

10/10

These are my last words *Haha, see what I did there?*

Thanks guys for checking out this thread and I hope you guys didn't get too bored and dug what you read. Maybe even got inspired to buy an album or 7 because of it.

Let's hope 2011 kicks 2010's ass!

DethMaiden
12-06-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm a huge MOTA fan, seen 'em three times, they're from my hometown for chrissakes, but I did not think The Violence Beneath was up to their standards. The title track and the Gabriel cover rule, though.

Have you heard their LPs and the split with Kenoma? Amazing stuff.

MPF
12-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm a huge MOTA fan, seen 'em three times, they're from my hometown for chrissakes, but I did not think The Violence Beneath was up to their standards. The title track and the Gabriel cover rule, though.

Have you heard their LPs and the split with Kenoma? Amazing stuff.

Those two are my favorite on the EP, but the other 2 are great as well in their own rights.

I have the 3 albums, but can't find the Kenoma split anywhere. I really want to check it out. But they are fucking amazing!

DethMaiden
12-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Those two are my favorite on the EP, but the other 2 are great as well in their own rights.

I have the 3 albums, but can't find the Kenoma split anywhere. I really want to check it out. But they are fucking amazing!

Shit, the split has maybe their best song (the 17-minute "Sleepwalk Powder") - and the Kenoma side is some of my favorite post-rock ever, a friend and I directed the video for one of their songs on there. I think it's fairly easy to find on eBay, well fucking worth it.

Glad there's another MOTA nut on here man, cheers. :fist:

MPF
12-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Shit, the split has maybe their best song (the 17-minute "Sleepwalk Powder") - and the Kenoma side is some of my favorite post-rock ever, a friend and I directed the video for one of their songs on there. I think it's fairly easy to find on eBay, well fucking worth it.

Glad there's another MOTA nut on here man, cheers. :fist:

I will have to look into that. That sounds like it is right up my alley.

Cheers! :fist:

idrinkwine732
12-06-2010, 06:06 PM
79.) Cloudkicker- Beacons[/B]

One of my favorite discoveries of 2010. Cloudkicker is Instrumental Progressive Metal with hints of Meshuggah and Post Rock/Metal scattered throughout. This one man project is strictly just for making music. That is sad considering he does not want to do any touring. But he always puts out quality Metal that I enjoy and jam along to. Beacons is some of his finest work. You can hear it in every song. If you enjoy quality instrumental songwriting, you need to get Beacons. This album will blow your mind.

9/10

An incredible album, no doubt. I consider this to be one of the best releases of the year purely because of its variance in tones. It has a few awesome metal tracks with some awesome shoegazey stuff later in the album.

91.) Anathema- We're Here Because We're Here

Steven Wilson had his hand on this album as well with mixing. Long gone are the days of the Metal side of Anathema, sticking with what they are known for, being alternative and almost progish, rock This is another album that just didn't capture my interest the way I was hoping for. While the quality of the songs are great, it just doesn't get the right vibe from me. I always try with Anathema, but this time, it just feels more of the same. Almost, dare I say too mellow? But I should expect no less. In the right mood, this is the right album, otherwise, I gotta look for something else.
[/B]

I disagree a ton with this however. I got into Anathema after their metal days, and now may be one of my favorite non-metal acts. An album that exhibits such serenity and calmness is rare. I could easily understand that if you got into them a while ago this album could be a disappointment, but I think this album is quite excellent.

MPF
12-06-2010, 06:09 PM
An incredible album, no doubt. I consider this to be one of the best releases of the year purely because of its variance in tones. It has a few awesome metal tracks with some awesome shoegazey stuff later in the album.

I disagree a ton with this however. I got into Anathema after their metal days, and now may be one of my favorite non-metal acts. An album that exhibits such serenity and calmness is rare. I could easily understand that if you got into them a while ago this album could be a disappointment, but I think this album is quite excellent.

Cloudkicker is the shit! I'm glad He's getting more and more known. He really deserves it.

Anathema- I'm really trying with them. I can use the excuse that every time I listened to this album really didn't fit the mood, but at the same time, that's a cop out. I'm going to keep trying. Just because it is calm and serene doesn't mean I still can't enjoy it. I might just give it another spin tonight.

idrinkwine732
12-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Anathema- I'm really trying with them. I can use the excuse that every time I listened to this album really didn't fit the mood, but at the same time, that's a cop out. I'm going to keep trying. Just because it is calm and serene doesn't mean I still can't enjoy it. I might just give it another spin tonight.

YOU'RE SO FUCKING WRONG!!!!!!!!one ;)

MPF
12-06-2010, 06:56 PM
YOU'RE SO FUCKING WRONG!!!!!!!!one ;)

Haha

SomewhereInTime72
12-07-2010, 10:27 AM

I'm with you here. That album is one of the best they've put out ever, IMO. I do think it is a 'mood' album, but when the mood is right it's pretty much perfect. Easily going to make my top 5 when I finally get around to working on my list.

MPF
12-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm with you here. That album is one of the best they've put out ever, IMO. I do think it is a 'mood' album, but when the mood is right it's pretty much perfect. Easily going to make my top 5 when I finally get around to working on my list.

I feel asleep with it playing last night. I'm starting to appreciate it a bit more.

JuuKun
12-08-2010, 04:12 AM
76.) Elvenking- Red Silent Tides

Power Folk Metal at it's best. Elvenking was one of the first Folk Metal bands that I ever got into. they have always impressed me a lot. Even if their music is a bit cheesier due to the Power Metal elements. Red Silent Tides is a lot more of the same that I expect from Elvenking. I'm ok with that. It's right on par with the rest of their discography. It would be cool to see them venture off into new Territory, but then again, This album is pretty damn rockin'. Check this one out if you dig Power Metal with Folk elements.

7/10

There's really very little that is Folky about Elvenking anymore. Bits and pieces, but not really. What this album IS, is poppy as hell, but it's awesome. Not top 10 material IMO but still a really good album.

I have to disagree that it's on par with the rest of their discography, though, because the newer direction that they've been taking on The Scythe/Red Silent Tides has so little in common with Heathenreel.

MPF
12-08-2010, 12:43 PM
There's really very little that is Folky about Elvenking anymore. Bits and pieces, but not really. What this album IS, is poppy as hell, but it's awesome. Not top 10 material IMO but still a really good album.

I have to disagree that it's on par with the rest of their discography, though, because the newer direction that they've been taking on The Scythe/Red Silent Tides has so little in common with Heathenreel.

That is true, but I still really dig them. It's a big change for sure, but this is one of those rare occurrences where a poppier change isn't necessarily a bad thing. Elvenking was one of my first Folk Metal bands I got into, so I'll always have a thing for them.

JuuKun
12-08-2010, 02:07 PM
That is true, but I still really dig them. It's a big change for sure, but this is one of those rare occurrences where a poppier change isn't necessarily a bad thing. Elvenking was one of my first Folk Metal bands I got into, so I'll always have a thing for them.

Oh, definitely, same here. I love the new stuff, and this album is fun as hell.

They sure as hell did a better job at an acoustic album than another Folk Metal band that more people are familiar with (Eluveitie, I'm looking at you!)

MPF
12-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Oh, definitely, same here. I love the new stuff, and this album is fun as hell.

They sure as hell did a better job at an acoustic album than another Folk Metal band that more people are familiar with (Eluveitie, I'm looking at you!)

Yeah, sadly, I have to agree with that.

JLRedWing13
12-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I second Wine's sentiments on Anathema. That album is probably my non-metal album of the year and is right in my top 10.

MPF
12-13-2010, 10:18 PM
I've been listening to Anathema a bit more lately and I am starting to get it it. Slowly but surely.

MPF
12-18-2010, 02:10 PM
I did get a few more album in the last few days so I may or may not be adding them to this list.

MPF
12-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Part 9. The Reawakening. The rest of my albums and EPs.

112.) Minus The Bear- OMNI

I have always been more of a Botch fan then Minus The Bear fan. For some reason They never caught my attention much, no matter how much I wanted them to be. but OMNI is starting to change that. Long gone are the days of Botch, but OMNI what I've been hoping for. It's still Indie Rock, but for some reason captures me more. I guess they I can describe it is more Rock influenced instead of the Electronica that I've noticed with their previous albums. There is still plenty of Electronica, but this is more of a better balance. I'll still keep hoping for a Botch reunion, but OMNI is a great album to hold me over till that time.

7/10

113.) Shaolin Death Squad- Five Deadly Venoms

The more Metal version of Mr. Bungle. This is another album that is great in small doses. After a while it does make me want to check something else, but when I listen to a track or two at a time, it is a great listen. If you dig your Metal of the Oriental Avant Garde style. This is an album to check out.

5/10

114.) Bent Sinister- Spring Romance

Another great Alternative rock band that put out a great EP. These guys are still in the underground, but deserve to be known. The EP is filled with Classic Pop and Radio rock hits. All 5 songs are catchy as hell. If you are longing for a newer band bringing back classic Pop Rock, these guys are it. Check out this EP!

7/10

115.) Enditol- Enditol

Another one of my random discoveries out of the blue. These guys are a Progressive Metal Band that really captures a lot of great styles like BTBAM. Some songs remind me if Meshuggah made Ragtime music. It has that Djent sound to it *Didn't it used to be called Math Metal?* But amongst the Djent it spills over with all the great time signature and style changes. While they aren't the best band pulling this idea off. Their S/T album is a great album to listen to when you're in the mood for it. I can see them getting bigger with their next album.

7/10

116.) Allegaeon- Fragments Of Form And Function

Another great Technical Metal band just getting their foot in the door in 2010. Although I can see many people calling this Cookie Cutter Technical Death Metal. In a way it is, but in others, it's not. There's something about Allegaeon that captures me. It has top Notch musicianship and great riffs and hooks throughout. I do expect their next album to really showcase who they are. Fragments Of Form And Function is not a bad start.

7/10

117.) Canvas Solaris- Irradiance

I've read reviews from everywhere about how people are disappointed in this album. I guess I can see why. since Canvas Solaris put out their last release, Scale The Summit became huge in the Instrumental Progressive Metal scene while they are still in the underground. Irradiance to me is a great, and will be underrated, album. While there is not much change from their sound. I can see how some people would not dig this album as much. But to me, It's what I love to hear. Great instrumental tracks that make me want to listen all the way through. Check these guys out if you haven't already!

8/10

118.) Gloria Morti- Anthems of Annihilation

A very impressive Metal band. Growls of Opeth, Screams of Emperor, over a Symphonic Technical Metal soundscape. This really is a Tech Metal album done right. Throughout it never gets boring over rehashed. It does amaze me these guys aren't bigger then they are. I hope the next album will take care of that. Please check these guys out. It will be well worth your time.

8/10

119.) Fear Factory- Mechanize

This album is filled with some great hooks and great songs, but it still doesn't feel right. There are classic FF songs throughout and having Dino back with FF and also having one of my biggest *no pun intended* drum heroes, Gene Hoglan playing, something just doesn't feel right to me. I like it, but it's hollow. It might have to do with all the controversy going on earlier this year between both sides attached to FF. Maybe later I will truly appreciate this album, but until then I enjoy listening to it, but at the same time, I know it could have been so much more fulfilling.

6/10

120.) The Absence- Enemy Unbound

This album is full of the 00s Melodic Death Metal riffs with a heavy Arch Enemy vocal style, although it is a guy's voice. For fans of the Metalcore ear that was attached to the 00's, you'll dig this album a lot. I dare say it's better then most of the bands and albums that came out of that time. But at the same time. like that era, it does feel kinda cookie cutter. It is worth checking out none the less.

6/10

121.) Misery Index- Heirs To Thievery

Pretty damn brutal Death metal with a mix of Grindcore. A short Death metal album, but long Grindcore album at 34 minutes. This is filled with Brutality from start to finish. A great album to release some agression to. Like almost all bands of this genre. It does get samey after a while, but it is short enough to where that does not matter much. Damn good album!

8/10

122.) Lehto & Wright- Children's Songs

My 3rd favorite non-Metal/Hard Rock album of the year. While only 4 songs *the title track being 32 minutes, the shortest being 3:17* they are a great Folk inspired Progressive Rock band from the Twin Cities. Children's Songs is a great album that is easy to listen to, but very fun at the same time. All 4 songs are catchy and will make you want to listen over and over again. Please check these guys out. It is so worth it.

9/10

123.) Dax Riggs- Say Goodnight To The World

Every album Dax Riggs has been apart of has been hauntingly awesome. This album is no exception. It's across the board from Acoustic tracks to dark rockin' songs, to moody slow songs. Overall it is very Dax Riggs. I really do wish that Acid Bath could come back even for just a reunion tour. but Riggs refuses to play Metal anymore. His solo material is very hit or miss. You either you get it or you don't. This is one time I can say that I do get it, as dark as it really is.

8/10

124.) Cloud Cult- Sound Chasers

When you say Cloud Cult to the average music listener, they will say "Weren't they in that car insurance commercial?" I was the same way until this week when I finally gave Sound Chasers the time of day. And I'm glad I did. I've always known about them since they are also from the Twin Cities. But I guess I did blow them off as being that kind of sell out band. Boy I was so wrong. Cloud Cult is the definition of Art Rock in the new millennium. Every song grabs you and makes you want to hear more. Now I gotta do my part and check out their previous albums.

9/10

125.) In Mourning- Monolith

A very refreshing Progressive Metal band. You can hear traces of Opeth in these guys but for once, it doesn't sound like a ripoff. Almost all the songs are in the 6-8 minute range except for the 13 minute closer. While it does have the Progressive Death Metal sound. It does include the occasional Doom Metal vibe and even very catchy, almost poppy, hooks, With You Came Silence is one of the best examples. These guys are a band to look out for. It's really cool stuff.

7/10

126.) The Damned Things- Ironiclast

Easily the most fun Hard Rock album to come out in a decade. I was very skeptical at first I mean All Out Boy, Anthrax and Every Time I Die collaboration. I really thought they'd just be doing what they could to make 3 chord songs to sell to top 40 radio. I was dead wrong! Every song is simply badass. and I will say that this album will make my top 20. I rarely say that about a Hard Rock album with pop hooks. But this is way too damn good to ignore. Seriously check this one out!

9/10

127.) Adebisi Shank- This Is The Second Album Of A Band Called Adebisi Shank

This album confuses me in a good way. It contains some things I don't like, but a lot of what I do. And it meshes really good together. In a way it's the Irish version of a more Metal and Electronic inspired Faith No More. If you have some free time this is worth checking out. It's very different but very cool stuff.

7/10

128.) Exodus- Exhibit B: The Human Condition

I will go ahead and say it, I'm not a huge fan of Exodus. I do love a lot of Exodus songs, but there are so many other Thrash bands out there, that Exodus always gets thrown to the way side when I check them out. Exhibit B is a great album and I will say I totally dig the new Exodus more then the old Exodus *haters gonna hate*, but this is a good step for these guys. But still, there is better thrash out there.

6/10

129.) Rad Sparrows- The Fear Is Excruciating, But Therein Lies The Answer

One of the best Post Rock/Metal bands around. This album showcases that once again. While this album doesn't have anything groundbreaking *It is post rock, you either gotta love it or hate it. It's rare to find something new about it* It has what I love about Post Rock without being boring like other bands in the genre manage to do over and over again. This is one of the best albums of the year in Post Rock, give this one a chance and have a great time digging it.

8/10

130.) God Is an Astronaut- Age Of The Fifth Sun

How did I forget about these guys this year? GIAA has always been one of my favorite Electronic inspired Post Rock band for obvious reasons *Just listen to them* Age Of The Fifth Sun is nothing short but incredible. Heavy when they want to be, Mellow when they feel like it, and everything in between GIAA pulls it off again. Check this one out!

8/10

Ok, so this is officially it, unless I somehow get more then 5 album that I don't have already by the end of the year. Thanks again for checking this thread out. And I hope you make some great discoveries.

MPF
12-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Tonight, since my thread is getting no action lately, I thought that I'd make some mix CDs of the best songs of 2010. Only catch is I only put one song from each album or EP. So feel free to check these songs out in any way you check out songs and discover some great new music All of these songs are in random order and are not ranked:

They will be shown in this order
Band:
Song:
Album:

Disc 1:

Alter Bridge
Isolation
AB III

Disturbed
Asylum
Asylum

Gloria Morti
Solution Called War
Anthems Of Annihilation

Dimmu Borgir
Born Treacherous
Abrahadabra

Nachtmystium
Nightfall
Addicts Black Meddle Pt II

God Is An Astronaut
Worlds In Collision
Age Of The Fifth Sun

Haken
Streams
Aquarius

Blind Guardian
A Voice In The Dark
At The Edge Of Time

Stone Sour
Mission Statement
Audio Secrecy

Return To Earth
Automata
Automata

Levi / Werstler
Dura Mater
Avalanche of Worms

Enslaved
Ethica Odini
Axioma Ethica Odini

Ihsahn
On The Shores
After

Disc 2:

Charred Walls Of The Damned
Ghost Town
Charred Walls Of The Damned

Cloudkicker
Oh, God.
Beacons

Volbeat
Evelyn
Beyond Hell Above Heaven

Shining
Fisheye
Blackjazz

Hellish Crossfire
At The Edge Of Total Chaos
Bloodrust Scythe

GWAR
Zombies, March!
Bloody Pit Of Horror

Boris with Ian Astbury
Teeth And Claws
BXI

Lehto & Wright
The Broomfield Hill
Children's Songs

The Album Leaf
Falling From The Sun
A Chorus Of Storytellers

Flotsam & Jetsam
Blackened Eyes Staring
The Cold

Sevendust
Splinter
Cold Day Memory

Story Of The Year
The Children Sing
The Constant

Holy Grail
My Last Attack
Crisis In Utopia

Electric Wizard
Scorpio Curse
Black Masses

Balmorhea
On The Weight Of Night
Constellations

Disc 3:

Alcest
Ecailles De Lune (Part I)
Ecailles De Lune

Early Man
The Undertaker Is Calling You
Death Potion

Atomic Chapel
Demonoir

Deftones
Diamond Eyes
Diamond Eyes

Raunchy
The Yeah Thing
A Discord Electric

Bad Religion
Wrong Way Kids
The Dissent of Man

The Crinn
Incipience
Dreaming Saturn

Fatal Embrace
The Prophecy
The Empires of Inhumanity

Martriden
Human Error?
Encounter The Monolith

Enditol
Monoculture
Enditol

The Absence
Maelstrom
Enemy Unbound

Bison B.C.
Stressed Elephant
Dark Ages

Averse
Fleetingness Of Solar Happiness
The Endesque Chants

Disc 4:

Iron Maiden
Satellite 15...The Final Frontier
The Final Frontier

Triptykon
A Thousand Lies
Eparistera Daimones

Eluveitie
Everything Remains (As It Never Was)
Everything Remains As It Never Was

Hate
Lux Aeterna
Erebos

Lair Of The Minotaur
Let's Kill These Motherfuckers
Evil Power

Exodus
Burn, Hollywood, Burn
Exhibit B: The Human Condition

Red Sparowes
A Hail of Bombs
The Fear Is Excruciating, But Therein Lies The Answer

Bullet For My Valentine
Your Betrayal
Fever

All That Remains
Aggressive Opposition
For We Are Many

Allegaeon
From Seed to Throne
Fragments of Form and Function

Howl
Jezebel
Full Of Hell

Infernaeon
Creeping Death
Genesis To Nemesis

Solution .45
Clandestinity Now
For Aeons Past

Disc 5:

Overkill
Bring Me The Night
Ironbound

The Damned Things
We've Got a Situation Here
Ironiclast

Misery Index
Fed to the Wolves
Heirs To Thievery

Weezer
Memories
Hurley

The Roots
Radio Daze
How I Got Over

After The Burial
Pendulum
In Dreams

Abigail Williams
Malediction
In The Absence Of Light

Malevolent Creation
Compulsive Facebreaker
Invidious Dominion

Atheist
Fictitious Glide
Jupiter

Canvas Solaris
Glacier
Irradiance

Jimmy Gnecco
Days
The Heart

Seventh Wonder
The Great Escape
The Great Escape

Disc 6:

Cee Lo Green
Fuck You
The Lady Killer

Cloud Cult
Running With the Wolves
Light Chasers

Agalloch
Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires
Marrow of the Spirit

Armored Saint
Loose Cannon
La Raza

Emanuel And The Fear
Guatemala
Listen

Angels & Airwaves
The Flight of Apollo
Love

In Vain
On The Banks Of Mississippi
Mantra

Fear Factory
Industrial Discipline
Mechanize

Menomena
Sleeping Beauty
Mines

In Mourning
For You To Know
Monolith

Chad Smith's Bombastic Meatbats
Moby Dick
More Meat

Halford
The Mower
Made Of Metal

Watain
Waters of Ain
Lawless Darkness

Disc 7:

Demians
Swing Of The Airwaves
Mute

Mutiny Within
Awake
Mutiny Within

Soilwork
Late For The Kill, Early For The Slaughter
The Panic Broadcast

Orphaned Land
Sapari
The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR

Finntroll
Under Bergets Rot
Nifelvind

Nevermore
The Obsidian Conspiracy
The Obsidian Conspiracy

Forbidden
Forsaken At The Gates
Omega Wave

Hail Of Bullets
The Mukden Incident
On Divine Winds

Dillinger Escape Plan
Farewell, Mona Lisa
Option Paralysis

Black Label Society
Godspeed Hellbound
Order Of The Black

White Wizzard
Live Free or Die
Over The Top

Deathspell Omega
Wings of Predation
Paracletus

Minus the Bear
Summer Angel
OMNI

Judgement Day
Cobra Strike
Peacocks/Pink Monsters

Avenged Sevenfold
Save Me
Nightmare

Disc 8:

Powerglove
The Simpsons
Saturday Morning Apocalypse

Periphery
Letter Experiment
Periphery

Pain Of Salvation
No Way
Road Salt One

As I Lay Dying
Upside Down Kingdom
The Powerless Rise

Maserati
Pyramid of the Sun
Pyramid Of The Sun

Cynic
Wheels Within Wheels
Re-Traced

Elvenking
Dawnmelting
Red Silent Tides

Death Angel
Truce
Relentless Retribution

Jeremy Messersmith
Dillinger Eyes
The Reluctant Grave Yard

The River Empires
A Toast to the Snake King
The River Empires: Volume 1

Texas Hippie Coalition
Pissed Off and Mad About It
Rollin

Dax Riggs
No One Will Be A Stranger
Say Goodnight To The World

Acid Tiger
Big Beat
Self Titled

Les Discrets
Svipdagr & Freyja
Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pen

Brain Drill
Quantum Catastrophe
Quantum Catastrophe

Disc 9:

Seven Kingdoms
Somewhere Far Away
Seven Kingdoms

Allen-Lande
The Showdown
The Showdown

High On Fire
Fire, Flood & Plague
Snakes For The Divine

Mnemic
Sons Of The System
Sons Of The System

Kylesa
Dust
Spiral Shado

Bend Sinister
Things Will Get Better
Spring Romance

In This Moment
Just Drive
A Star-Crossed Wasteland

Arsis
Closer To Cold
Starve For The Devil

James LaBrie
Mislead
Static Impulse

Adebisi Shank
Masa
This Is The Second Album Of A Band Called Adebisi Shank

Dead Letter Circus
The Drum
This Is The Warning

Torche
Face The Wall
Songs For Singles

Altar of Plagues
The Weight of All
Tides

Disc 10:

Borknagar
Worldwide
Universal

The Sword
Tres Brujas
Warp Riders

Dark Tranquillity
The Fatalist
We Are The Void

God Dethroned
Under the Sign of the Iron Cross
Under the Sign of the Iron Cross

Intronaut
Miasma
Valley Of Smoke

Star One
Victim Of The Modern Age
Victims Of The Modern Age

Anathema
Dreaming Light
We're Here Because We're Here

Demon Hunter
Collapsing
The World Is A Thorn

Wrath And Rapture
Cosmic Wasteland
Wrath And Rapture

65daysofstatic
Mountainhead
We Were Exploding Anyway

Coheed & Cambria
The Broken
Year Of The Black Rainbow

Spock's Beard
Edge Of The In-Between
X

Mouth Of The Architect
In Your Eyes
The Violence Beneath EP

ravenheart
01-04-2011, 09:12 AM
This is by far one of the more useful end of year lists because it actually has some varied styles in it. Too many lists here are just 10/20 bands who play more or less the same stuff, so all that can really be derived from them is "these bands all sound similar, so if you like a couple of them, listen to the others". Last.fm can tell me that.

A varied list like this actually suggests there are things to like between bands of otherwise different sub-genres (for people with actual varied tastes, that is). And plenty of unknown/smaller bands to discover too.

MPF
01-04-2011, 09:40 AM
This is by far one of the more useful end of year lists because it actually has some varied styles in it. Too many lists here are just 10/20 bands who play more or less the same stuff, so all that can really be derived from them is "these bands all sound similar, so if you like a couple of them, listen to the others". Last.fm can tell me that.

A varied list like this actually suggests there are things to like between bands of otherwise different sub-genres (for people with actual varied tastes, that is). And plenty of unknown/smaller bands to discover too.

Thanks! :fist:

That was more or less the the reason why I made this thread. As much as I love Metal, I don't just listen to one genre of Metal, or hell, even listen Metal on some days. I'm a drummer first and foremost. So I gotta appreciate more then just one style to become a better drummer. I don't want to end up sounding like every other Mainstream Metal drummer out there. I like variety.

DethMaiden
01-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Hey, I can't help it if no one listens to as much black metal as they should. :bouville:

MPF
01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey, I can't help it if no one listens to as much black metal as they should. :bouville:

I have plenty of Black Metal in my collection this year. The problem is a lot of Black Metal sucks. Like a lot of genres, there are so many imitators out there that it begins to sound the same. There's only so many bands I can listen to that are constant blast beats, tremolo picking, and keyboard orchestration with corpse makeup.

Natrlhi
01-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Wow, this makes me think that maybe your comment in my year-end thread earlier today was actually serious. Was it?

Natrlhi
01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Hey, I can't help it if no one listens to as much black metal as they should. :bouville::lol: Hey, speaking of this, ya know what's interesting, Brad?

You're absolutely right. I've only represented post-metal (The Ocean, No Hawaii, Gifts from Enola), stoner metal (High on Fire, Karma to Burn), black metal (Ludicra, Nachtmystium, Triptykon, Deathspell Omega, Watain, Lightning Swords of Death), post-rock (Red Sparowes, God Is an Astronaut), death metal (Lair of the Minotaur, Aeon), grindcore (Landmine Marathon), Viking metal (Unleashed), technical / progressive (Atheist, IntrOnaut, Shining, Cloudkicker), sludge (Kylesa, Howl, Kvelertak) and whatever the fuck you'd classify Julie Christmas as (how about :eek:-metal?)...that's obviously a pretty narrow list. :lol:

...and it's not even complete yet. :D
My top twenty-five has more black metal in it than anything else this year. Who'da thunk it? :D

DethMaiden
01-05-2011, 07:36 AM
You're learning. :grim:

:tongue:

ravenheart
01-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Wow, this makes me think that maybe your comment in my year-end thread earlier today was actually serious. Was it?

No, I just like winding you up. Management perogative.

Natrlhi
01-05-2011, 08:17 AM

:tongue::D

No, I just like winding you up. Management perogative.:finger:

idrinkwine732
01-05-2011, 03:09 PM

:tongue:

This would have been the perfect place for a Mr. Burns esque hand motion smiley.