PDA

View Full Version : Decibel's Top 40 Albums of 2010

DethMaiden
11-24-2010, 08:47 AM
This is kind of my job at this point. My issue just came in today, so here you go. Let's bitch about this for a few pages, shall we?

1. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
2. Watain - Lawless Darkness
3. Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
4. Dawnbringer - Nucleus
5. Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
6. Torche - Songs for Singles
7. Ludicra - The Tenant
8. Thou - Summit
9. Nails - Unsilent Death
10. The Austerity Program - Backsliders and Apostates Will Burn
11. Castevet - Mounds of Ash
12. Immolation - Majesty and Decay
13. Sailors With Wax Wings - Sailors With Wax Wings
14. Coliseum - House With a Curse
15. Horseback - The Invisible Mountain
16. Kylesa - Spiral Shadow
17. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
18. Burzum - Belus
19. Atheist - Jupiter
20. Electric Wizard - Black Masses
21. Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
22. Kvelertak - Kvelertak
23. Integrity - The Blackest Curse
24. Ghost - Opus Eponymous
25. Withered - Dualitas
26. Pivixki - Gravissima
27. Fear Factory - Mechanize
28. Unearthly Trance - V
29. Christian Mistress - Agony & Opium
30. Nachtmystium - Addicts: Black Meddle Part II
31. Deftones - Diamond Eyes
32. Father Befouled - Morbid Destitution of Covenant
33. The Body - All the Waters of the Earth Turn to Blood
34. Early Graves - Goner
35. Intronaut - Valley of Smoke
36. Decrepit Birth - Polarity
37. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
38. Hail of Bullets - On Divine Winds
39. Lantlos - .Neon
40. Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons

Welp, I only heard fourteen of these, and I heard a shit-ton of albums this year. Oh well.

Biggest shock is Agalloch at #1 and Alcest nowhere in the top 40. Umm, okay? Also kinda surprised to see Maiden miss the cut since AMOLAD made it in '06. Only three albums from my anticipated top ten (Ludicra, Atheist, Watain) made their top 40, which is the biggest difference between my list in theirs ever, I'm pretty sure. Weird, weird year.

daimonos
11-24-2010, 09:06 AM
It really isn't as bullshit of a list as I thought it would be, but there are alot of these I haven't heard of. The top 5 is pretty solid though, and I'm suprised to see Thou in the top 10. I didn't even know they had a new album out, gonna have to check that out.

JLRedWing13
11-24-2010, 09:29 AM
No Blind Guardian or Maiden.....really....

Also disappointed in the lack of Heathen, Anathema, and Alcest.

IrritatedTrout
11-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Deftones but no Maiden? Bullshit list.

The_jman
11-24-2010, 10:46 AM
There's a lot I think should be on there, but the lack of maiden is the most shocking to me.

JRA
11-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Fear Factory and Deftones can suck it. What I've heard of the new Maiden isnt great, but I'd rather see that coloring book LP on the list than fuckin sucktones.

BloodoftheKings
11-24-2010, 10:57 AM
No Maiden, Accept, or Overkill :confused:

elturtleboy
11-24-2010, 11:24 AM
no danzig.ozzy,gwar,robzombie or ANAL CUNT?!? FUCK THIS!

Nice they put Nails tho!

idrinkwine732
11-24-2010, 11:25 AM
A bit early for this list, no?

Either way, very disappointed. Only 3 of my top 10 are in their list.

ADD
11-24-2010, 11:36 AM
1. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
4. Dawnbringer - Nucleus
7. Ludicra - The Tenant
20. Electric Wizard - Black Masses
21. Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
28. Unearthly Trance - V
29. Christian Mistress - Agony & Opium
40. Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons

I endorse these musics. No comment on the ranking.

powerslave_85
11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
I've only heard three of these :lol:

DethMaiden
11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
This is probably the worst list I've seen them do and this is my fifth year as a subscriber, but I don't think it's bad by any means.

JRA
11-24-2010, 12:41 PM
I also must cry foul at the lack of Heathen and Overkill and the inclusion of Darkthrone. Darkthrone has basically been trolling their fans for the past what 15 years and they get rewarded fir it?

DethMaiden
11-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Darkthrone are dead serious about their punk sound, though. I don't love it, but I respect what they're doing.

I think the inclusion of the Fear Factory album is the biggest wtf for me.

ravenheart
11-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Also kinda surprised to see Maiden miss the cut since AMOLAD made it in '06

Yeah, they're missing their usual non-extreme token album to prove extreme metal is not all they care about, honest ;)

Ghost is too low and there's not nearly enough thrash. The rest, I don't care about.

mastodon421
11-24-2010, 01:15 PM
There is a lot I haven't heard of either, but there are some great records on there.My number 1 made the list(The Dillinger Escape Plan) and two more of my top 10 are present(Intronaut,High On Fire) I disagree with having Fear Factory and Kylesa on there those were the two records I was most dissapointed with this year. The lack of Overkill,Landmine Marathon and Howl is a bit dissapointing. All in all, pretty good list.

I am with cool Maiden being absent. Let's just I did a rough draft of my list today and I am going to get flamed horribly at the postion is on my list:lol:

ADD
11-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Ghost

Man what a shitty record.

NecroRob
11-24-2010, 01:39 PM
No Landmine Marathon, Martriden, or Misery Index...But they have fucking Fear Factory?

k

ravenheart
11-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Man what a shitty record.

Wrong. So very, very wrong.

jhdeity
11-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Regardless if you like them or not there is no way on earth there were 30 albums released in 2010 better than Deftones - Diamond Eyes. There may be heavier or more brutal albums but that album is a masterpiece in my eyes. And the new Fear Factory has some incredible songs on it and certainly belongs on the list.

To me not having Overkill, Howl, Shining and Ishahn are real head scratchers. Maiden won't sniff my Top 40 so I can't comment on that. Dillinger should be much higher but on a positive note I have 15+ more cd's to check out...

Natrlhi
11-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Lots of albums in this list which were just OK in my opinion. I think some high scores are being given just because "the cool cats are supposed to like records by this band". Maybe it's just me. For example...no fucking way Torche belongs in the top ten. As much as I loved Meanderthal and as much as I enjoy Torche's music in general..."Songs for Singles" was marginally interesting at best. Another example is Thou - I saw them (by mistake) at Scion Rock Fest, and those guys are just plain fucking AWFUL. That must have been another "cool kid" vote right there (although honestly, I don't know what's so cool about them). Hell - even Triptykon and Watain weren't THAT good. I mean, they were both very, very good albums - especially Triptykon - but just not good enough to be in the top five of the year, I'm sorry.

On the other hand, it's nice to see High on Fire, Kylesa, Kvelertak and IntrOnaut in there - and especially Ludicra being up so high. So, I think they have a few good calls in there, too.

I do find the lack of Howl, The Ocean and Landmine Marathon disturbing, however. :bouville:

ravenheart
11-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Regardless if you like them or not there is no way on earth there were 30 albums released in 2010 better than Deftones - Diamond Eyes

Or there most certainly is. And it has nothing to do with heaviness or brutality either.

ravenheart
11-24-2010, 02:23 PM
And to reiterate what one or two others have said, Howl belongs.

Natrlhi
11-24-2010, 02:24 PM
And to reiterate what one or two others have said, Howl belongs.:fist: (see above)

Dissimulate
11-24-2010, 02:34 PM
I haven't heard of about half of those bands. It makes me wonder if they're really that good. I'll have to start working my way through most of the list, but I am sure that Electric Wizard and especially Enslaved are ranked too low.

JLRedWing13
11-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Fear Factory shouldn't be on any top list imo....but it happens....

idrinkwine732
11-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Hell - even Triptykon and Watain weren't THAT good. I mean, they were both very, very good albums - especially Triptykon - but just not good enough to be in the top five of the year, I'm sorry.
Well, you can stay the fuck out of my year end thread then ;)

I do find the lack of Howl, The Ocean and Landmine Marathon disturbing, however. :bouville:
However...

Fear Factory shouldn't be on any top list imo....but it happens....
Worst album I listened to this year.

and I listened to the new BMTH.

El Gordo
11-24-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm gonna buy that issue just so I can wipe my ass with it.

idrinkwine732
11-24-2010, 03:29 PM
No Landmine Marathon, Martriden, or Misery Index...But they have fucking Fear Factory?

k

You can't blame them for not having that one. It's a brilliant album, but it's probably a little bit too unheard of to make this list.

MPF
11-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Definitely not my top 40 of 2010. but a a great list, none the less.

I gotta agree Agalloch being in the top spot. but if they are number 1, Alcest needs to be 2nd or 3rd.

JRA
11-24-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm gonna buy that issue just so I can wipe my ass with it.

You don't necessarily have to buy it first...:eyes:

Darkthrone are dead serious about their punk sound, though. I don't love it, but I respect what they're doing.

I suppose what I meant by trolling was that they don't like sticking to a sound because they don't want to become popular.

El Gordo
11-24-2010, 05:21 PM
You don't necessarily have to buy it first...:eyes:

Can I have yours? :tongue:

xStructualDefect
11-24-2010, 05:34 PM
the only albums i like on the list are Deftones and Decrepit Birth. then again i'm not really a fan of most of the genres that the list consists of.

jhdeity
11-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Fear Factory the worst album of 2010? That might be the craziest thing I've ever heard on here. Gene Hoglan's drumming alone ensures that can't be possible. Christploitation is one of the best songs I heard all year. To each his own I guess...

Personally Kid Rock and Linkin park are the 2 worst pieces of shit I've heard this year or any year for that matter. I've listened to over 200 albums this year and I stand by my statement from the other thread that 2010 smokes 2009 as a whole. I could easily make a Top 100 list for 2010 and be happy with all 100

idrinkwine732
11-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Fear Factory the worst album of 2010? That might be the craziest thing I've ever heard on here. Gene Hoglan's drumming alone ensures that can't be possible. Christploitation is one of the best songs I heard all year. To each his own I guess...
One lone excellent drummer does not make a good band or album.

Derelict
11-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I love old fear factory but i hated the new album - the new songs really stuck out as being pretty shitty live

300%_Density
11-24-2010, 06:10 PM
It seems like half of these unknown bands were put on here so Decibel can look down on those who don't know "extreme" metal. I think I have heard maybe like a handful of these and maybe heard of only maybe a few more than that. They must have lost their promo copy of Overkill b/c of that isn't even in the top 40 this list lacks any credibility. If that's not better than half of these "underground" bands this list is fail.

DethMaiden
11-24-2010, 06:13 PM
It seems like half of these unknown bands were put on here so Decibel can look down on those who don't know "extreme" metal. I think I have heard maybe like a handful of these and maybe heard of only maybe a few more than that. They must have lost their promo copy of Overkill b/c of that isn't even in the top 40 this list lacks any credibility. If that's not better than half of these "underground" bands this list is fail.

Oh for God's sake.

The_jman
11-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Will I get flamed if I go out on a limb and say I feel that Soilwork belongs on this list?

idrinkwine732
11-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Will I get flamed if I go out on a limb and say I feel that Soilwork belongs on this list?

You see that guy above you? Goes by the name DethMaiden?

He's been known to beat Soilwork fans' heads in with a baseball bat.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2009/04/brad-pitt-lieutenant-aldo-raine.jpg

Nah, you're fine.

es156
11-24-2010, 07:08 PM
I have heard exactly 2 of those CD's.

:lol:

The_jman
11-24-2010, 07:10 PM
I have heard exactly 2 of those CD's.

:lol:
Which two?

es156
11-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Which two?

Kylesa & High On Fire.

JRA
11-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Kylesa & High On Fire.

Well at least he heard the one that matters.

DethMaiden
11-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Well at least he heard the one that matters.

:tp: x 100000000000000000

jhdeity
11-24-2010, 09:56 PM
The positive: 10 of these 40 would make my Top 40

The negative: I've checked out 5 of the bands I've never heard of on this list and not 1 belongs. I'm hoping the next batch I check out has at least 1 or 2 surprises in there

Maiden33
11-25-2010, 07:06 AM
Oh, so now I see where half this board gets its recommendations. :tongue:

Wizzbang11
11-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Ghost was amazing, Christian Mistress was amazing, JRA are very fucking wrong about Darkthrone, and new Darkthrone is better than old Darkthrone.
The rest of the list I don't care about.

idrinkwine732
11-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Oh, so now I see where half this board gets its recommendations. :tongue:

:hmm:

zgodt
11-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Lots of albums in this list which were just OK in my opinion. I think some high scores are being given just because "the cool cats are supposed to like records by this band". Maybe it's just me. For example...no fucking way Torche belongs in the top ten. As much as I loved Meanderthal and as much as I enjoy Torche's music in general..."Songs for Singles" was marginally interesting at best. Another example is Thou - I saw them (by mistake) at Scion Rock Fest, and those guys are just plain fucking AWFUL. That must have been another "cool kid" vote right there (although honestly, I don't know what's so cool about them). Hell - even Triptykon and Watain weren't THAT good. I mean, they were both very, very good albums - especially Triptykon - but just not good enough to be in the top five of the year, I'm sorry.

On the other hand, it's nice to see High on Fire, Kylesa, Kvelertak and IntrOnaut in there - and especially Ludicra being up so high. So, I think they have a few good calls in there, too.

Are there really "cool kids" in the metal scene?

Natrlhi
11-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Are there really "cool kids" in the metal scene?:lol: Going back and re-reading my comment, I really don't know what I was trying to say with the "cool kid" comment, other than the only reason that someone would listen to Thou is to impress somebody else regarding how much aural punishment they can endure - kinda like eating the hottest wings that anyone has ever made, ever. Why would you do that, other than as a dare? I mean, the shit's awful - and painful - just like listening to Thou.

Spiral_Slave
11-30-2010, 11:04 AM
This list makes me want to blow my face off. Decibel is just a fucking joke.

daimonos
11-30-2010, 11:28 AM
:lol: Going back and re-reading my comment, I really don't know what I was trying to say with the "cool kid" comment, other than the only reason that someone would listen to Thou is to impress somebody else regarding how much aural punishment they can endure - kinda like eating the hottest wings that anyone has ever made, ever. Why would you do that, other than as a dare? I mean, the shit's awful - and painful - just like listening to Thou.

Natrlhi
11-30-2010, 11:32 AM

:lol: Sorry. I (accidentally) saw Thou live at Scion Rock Fest, and they pissed me off so much I wanted to hurt somebody and then ask for my money back.

daimonos
11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
:lol: Sorry. I (accidentally) saw Thou live at Scion Rock Fest, and they pissed me off so much I wanted to hurt somebody and then ask for my money back.

:lol: It's cool. I haven't heard much of their stuff, but I definitely like what I have heard.